Skandar and Georgie’s Trip in the USA

Posted December 13, 2010 10:54 am by fantasia_kitty

Last week Georgie Henley and Skandar Keynes trekked through America to help promote The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

On December 8th, Georgie and Skandar attended the Red Carpet Gala in Knoxville, TN to help raise money for Variety’s Children’s Charity. We were sent a report from NarniaWebber EdmundP.

Last night I had the wonderful privilege of attending the Knoxville Gala for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

I arrived in Knoxville at 1:30pm, Wednesday. After a delicious lunch at Panera, I headed to my hotel room, just .5 miles from Regal Cinema’s Pinnacle Stadium 18, where the Gala was held.

At 4:30pm I arrived at the cinema. All entrances and exits were guarded by policemen. In order to be admitted, you had to show the policeman your ticket and/or media credential. I waved my ticket to him and he let me pass, of course. I parked near the back of the lot, since it was nearly full already. I walked around the gated area and headed to the media area where my pass was waiting for me. The Red Carpet was down, the lights shining on the front of the cinema, and the fans waiting to go inside and get warm from the subfreezing temperatures.

The reception was catered by Abuello’s, a local Mexican restaurant. I didn’t eat anything, but I was told that the food was excellent.

Narnia, Narnia, and more Narnia! Where all of the upcoming movie posters usually line the exterior of the front of the cinema, every single one was replaced by a Voyage of the Dawn Treader poster. Where the Box Office’s ticket information usually is was replaced by Aslan’s eyes blinking in the snowfall. In the Concessions area where the menu is usually displayed, was replaced by Aslan’s blinking eyes in the snow and Variety’s logo (and there were about 10-12 TV’s displaying this simultaneously). A replica of the Dawn Treader hung above the Red Carpet inside the cinema.

There was a quintet playing on the stage, to the right of the Red Carpet. They played mostly classic Christmas music and played until around 7:25pm.

At 5:30pm the crowd of 600+ people poured through the doors of the cinema. You literally had people packed in there with hardly any room between each person!

Two other NarniaWebbers and myself met up in front of the stage and had our photos taken together. It was so fun! Soon after that, one the NarniaWebbers headed to the Red Carpet, near the stage and entrance of the cinema, hoping to get Georgie and Skandar’s autograph.

The other NarniaWebber and myself were with the press, so when the stars arrived at 7:30pm, we were outside in the subfreezing temperatures with our hands and faces about to freeze off! Georgie arrived about 8-10 minutes before Skandar. Georgie headed in the opposite direction and was signing autographs for that time, then Skandar arrived and came to the press almost immediately after signing a few autographs for the unfortunate people who did not have tickets for this event. Also, even more unfortunately, my voice software for my iPad was not working properly, so my entire interview with Skandar is lost!

After Georgie was finished with signing everyone’s (or very nearly everyone’s) ticket, poster, etc, she headed our way. And my camcorder WAS working correctly.

Interview:

Me: Firstly, may I have your autograph?

Georgie: Yeah, of course. Actually, I don’t have a pen. . .(person hands her a pen) Oh, there we go, there we go! Haha. And, I’ve got to say, I’ve never seen an iPad being brought to the Red Carpet, nice one.

Me: Thank you! Is there anything about Lucy that you admire and want to emulate?

Georgie: Um, she’s definitely going through a tough time in this film, but it’s the way that she deals with it, which is, like, really cool. And it’s a really good thing for other young girls to kind of look at and admire, so yeah, I try to.

Me: And do you think the character arcs they’ve added to Lucy fit with well with the Lucy of the previous films?

Georgie: Yeah, definitely. Um, it’s cool that she’s not so naive and sweet all the time and that she’s kind of growing up a little bit. So I’m really glad that it was, um, kind of her from the first two films, but adding a bit more spice and a bit more something.

Me: Yeah, and with this being your last Narnia film, for a while, what’s next for you?

Georgie: Um, school. I’ve got big exams coming up, but I’m hopefully going to be acting in the near future. I really want to keep acting, so hopefully you’ll see a bit more of me if people hire me! (laughs)

Me: Well, I’m sure they will!

Georgie: Thank you!

Me: Thank you.

Georgie: Thank you.

End of interview.

After this, they stood in front of the Narnia poster board while the media was snapping away! Following this, they walked inside on the Red Carpet. Everyone went crazy.

Presentation:

Georgie: Hellooo! (I didn’t begin recording quickly enough right here) We have raised over $450,000 for charity tonight. So, that’s pretty amazing. And we’re so glad you all came out tonight. Um. . .

Skandar: Yeah, hello! Well, thanks everyone who (…) and yeah, we’re absolutely honored to have our names written in stone. . .in gold writing! And yeah, thanks to everyone who made it possible today and made this happen. And thanks everyone who donated to the charity and we’re really happy to be hear and we’ve had a great time in Knoxville. Sad to be leaving so soon. And I hope you enjoy the film.

Georgie: Yes, please enjoy the film!

End of presentation.

After this, everyone filled up the 12 theatres showing the film. There were bottled waters, cokes, and diet cokes outside the entrance to the theatres. Employees stood at the entrance handing us popcorn. Our RealD 3D glasses were in our seats.

I was completely captivated by the film. It truly captured the very essence of the book. I can honestly say that, even with the Green Mist plot, and the slight changes that were made, this is THE BEST NARNIA MOVIE YET!

GO SEE IT!

Thank you very much for your report EdmundP!!

The morning of December 9th, Georgie and Skandar arrived in Washington DC to help name one of the cubs at the Smithsonian Zoo, Aslan. Here is a snippet from Infozine.com.

To commemorate the birth of two new lion litters and a donation by 20th Century Fox for cat conservation, two actors from Hollywood’s upcoming installment of the Chronicles of Narnia series came to the zoo to name one of the seven lion cubs.

Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley, whose “Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader” hits theaters Friday, were treated to a behind-the-scenes look at the Great Cats exhibit, and selected a lion cub to name Aslan, after the movie and book series’ principal feline, also a lion.

“We’ve had a long trip coming into New York, with a lot of publicity, but I think this has definitely been the highlight,” Keynes said.

The full news story from Infozine is available here. You can also watch a video of their visit on Zap2It’s site here. And JustJaredJr has a lot of pictures on their website here.

Thanks to Nyetwerke, Narnia Queen419, and Estefana for these links!

Later that evening (on December 9th), Georgie and Skandar arrived in Lexington, KY where the special US premiere for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader took place. Here’s a snippet of a report from Kentucky.com.

Abbey Henson, 9, gushed in an adrenaline-fueled stream of consciousness, her hands fluttering, her braced teeth chattering, just seconds after hugging Skandar Keynes, who plays Edmund Pevensie in the Narnia films.
“I’ve liked Narnia for like three years. … I’ve saved pictures … I’ve made PowerPoints, I’ve drawn pictures of them. I’ve dreamed of them. And now I got to meet them, and Edmund is like my favorite character!” said Abbey, who encountered her idol Thursday at a Lexington premiere of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. “I really think I need to sit down,” she said, swaying slightly, clutching the ticket Keynes had autographed.

The full report and a video is available here and pictures are available here.
Thanks to Hldai for the link!

• King_Cor_the_Great says:

I can’t believe it. Why couldn’t it be in Philly?

• mere says:

see what ticks me off is that i didn’t know they were going to be in TN. i live right next to TN and i could’ve gone if i had known!!!! rgggggg.

• Jonathan Fletcher says:

Yeah, I’m in NC, (Charlotte, even), so it wouldn’t have been too much of a drive for me!!

• mere says:

yeah im in NC too! i wonder if their ever going to come back, cause i’ll make sure to be there if they do. wonder where i find out….

• Little Narnian says:

That’s cool!!

• Pepper Darcy says:

they look so cute in front of that lion poster. I bet that lion cub will be so stinkin’ popular. People will go there to ‘see Aslan for real’ and the zoo will be really sorry when the lion dies…

Wow, Gerogie and Skandar look so fun. I’d love to meet them one day! πŸ™‚ I guess a pic of a painting I did of the Dawn Treader ship being sent to them and the director is good enough πŸ™‚

• Eleanor Gold says:

awwwwwwwwwwwww, why can’t anything happen remotely near me? lol I wish I could have gone!

• LL says:

I hope Skandar had a great time in America!!

• Edmund's Queen says:

Yeah, hopefully he liked Knoxville so much that he’ll come back… and this time, I’ll be there with my camera, movie poster, and sharpie. πŸ™‚

• Maithard says:

I was at the Knoxville showing too!

I also got autographs and videos.

• Edmund's Queen says:

You are so lucky. I have no idea how I missed this. I was only hours away from my two favorites from this series! If only I had a time machine. This was probably my last chance to meet the beautiful Skandar of my dreams.

• wannawork4Weta says:

HOW did I not know they were going to be in the DC area?! I could have gone, and now…its over.

• Edmund's Queen says:

CRRRYYYYYYYIIINNNGGGG!!!! OMG. I live three flippin’ hours away from Knoxville. I had no idea. I was three hours and fifty dollars away from meeting Skandar! X( I feel so sick! HOw in the world did I not know about this? I’ve been checking updates on this movie since April! I could have gone! My dream could have come true! When I saw the video of those girls getting their pictur taken with Skandar and he was like hugging them I was like "THat could have been me!" I literally am sobbing. This is so crushing. Skandar. SKANDAR! This was the most perfect chance ever. Had I but known…

• Annabeth says:

i know, i know, you and me both girl. πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™

• annapoplewell says:

So so so agree with you! I would have died to hug Skandar!!! But as for living near, I’m afraid I can’t relate…I live in Greece….

• Timo says:

"Georgie: Thank you!

Me: Thank you.

Georgie: Thank you.

End of interview."

That made me lol πŸ˜€

• McGunn says:

Yeah, nothing to pick on when it comes to British politeness:)

I’m just hoping (and I’m sure) that Georgie’s hat wasn’t actually made from some cat’s fur.

It’s great how they get to do this kind of charity publisity as well.

• ~queenSUSAN~ says:

And I was almost near there on Friday!!! Woe is me!!!

• 220chrisTian / AslansLily says:

I love the NWebber interview! Thanks, Edmund P! But I wish you hadn’t lost your Skandar one! (

@fantasia_kitty: The DC event happened Thursday morning, December 9. Check out our coverage of Skandar and Georgie’s American Dawn Treader tour…

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

WHAT THEY WERE IN DC?!?!!!!!! BUT BUT I LIVE NEAR THE ZOO AND I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW THEY WERE THERE!! NOOOO!! *sobs*

That’s cool that they named the cub Aslan, though. SOOO CUTE. <3

• yeswelovenarnia says:

Wow so cool! Of course a little jealous I couldn’t have seen them! But cool all the same to read this:):) I hope they come to America more!!

• SkandarKey says:

Ouhhh..so handsome Skandar and very cute georgie… I want to meet you all..

• Feather~Light~Heart says:

That’s sooo cool! Is there anywhere else with more pictures from this premiere?? :\

• Katana says:

That is so cool! Georgie and Skandar look so fun, it would be amazing to meet them. I definetly will be going to ee that particular Lion cub next time I am in D.C.

• Michael says:

This is so cool! I hope they do something in Montreal and I find out before it happens. lol. I hope in someway to meet them some day. Another dream of mine is if they make HAHB, that I will get the role of Shasta.

• Skandar-the Great says:

I wish I could have been there. I really want Skandar’s autograph. I would probably faint if I met him though.

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

Oh my gosh, we just moved from DC! So unfair!

• Swordebrithil12 says:

If only they came to my city πŸ™ but anyway that lion has an extraordinary destiny, something greater than he could’ve imagined.

• Hwin says:

Such a nice pic! I hope that they had a good time!!! πŸ˜€

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Super Cute!

• Braden Woodburn says:

Wonderful information. I love Georgie, she’s so not in the moment sometimes but she is young and wonderful actress and she definatly pulled Lucy off well. I do hope if and when "The Horse and His Boy" and or "The Last Battle" are ever filmed she will come back but of course she will be older like she is suppose to. And Skandar, what a cool guy. I LOLed at the poster that says "Aslan" and it’s a cute baby lion hehe!

• cuppycakesrach says:

I was with Edmund P. at the knoxville Gala. we had SO MUCH FUN! lol!It was so great getting to all be there together and watch the movie together definitely oneof the best nights of my life EVER πŸ™‚

• Ionic Bonding Rocks says:

Wow, you are SO LUCKY! That would have been amazing!What was your favourite part of the night?

• Narnian Meerkat says:

WOW!!!!!! Lucky Duck!!!! What did you guys talk about?

• cuppycakesrach says:

We had so much fun honestly idk if I could pick a favorite part.. When skandar came in i was so excited i just screamed his name and he turned and waved at me .. definitely one of the best things EVER! lol but it was really great getting to meet some narniawebbers and it turns out that me and @Edmund P were already friends on here and we got to meet in person so it really was all in all an amazing night

• Edmund's Queen says:

Does anyone know if they’re still here? I want to meet them but I missed everything listed here. If they have already left, does anyone know if they’ll be back anytime soon? Next time they’re here, I do not want to miss it!

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I totally respect you. But obssesed fans like you are what the stars try to avoid. πŸ™‚ No offense. I would take it down a notch. They are just people. Seriously, just people. πŸ™‚

• Edmund's Queen says:

Yeah, I guess you’re right; I needed to hear that. I guess I’m just having a hard time grasping the fact that I actually could have met them if I had known before. Yes, they are just people, but they’re also very talented and gorgeous.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

It can be a bit overwhelming πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

And yea… um… and um yea… lol

• Narnian Meerkat says:

Awwwwwwwwwww, that’s so sweet! Little Aslan. . .
    Yeah, I wish, (but, like, will NEVER happen. . .)that they would come to Wyoming. . . . πŸ˜› Ofcourse that will NEVER happen because, Wyoming is like NOT popular at all. . .

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

I feel so glad all seven cubs survived. There was a cub born months ago, but died three days after birth.:( I went to the zoo last summer. It is a great zoo. I saw no lions, but I saw baby Cyrano, the anteater.:)

• Queen Elizabeth says:

QUESTION! (for people who have seen the film) Does it show Caspian and Lilliandil get married. Or at least talk about it? Cause that would be awesome.

• TheReepicheep1 says:

No, sadly it does not even mention their marriage. Oh well, at least we’ll see her in SC.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

darn. I was looking forward to their romantic reuninion at the end lol, I love how they end the book with, "… and Caspian married Rammadu’s daughter." (Pardon my bad spelling)

• lilnarnia says:

are they in new york or something??

• lilims says:

I’m gonna cry, it was great meeting Will, but I’m such a huge fan of Skandar.

• Skanderfannumberone says:

OMG my aunt moved to dc and if I knew that skander was there… I love him so much..

• Not Of This World says:

Earlier today LWW was on Disney XD, but when I checked the guide, it had the name as The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of Dawn Treader 3D. That was seriously what they marked it as. Very interesting.

• Queen Estelle the Artist says:

I love Georgie’s blue coat and her hair! Wow. OUr hair is actually very similar so I try to copy. And I’ll see if I can’t find a coat like that. I love all the Pevensies!!! I sooo want to meet them!

• Annabeth says:

WHAT?! Smithsonian zoo!!!! I could’ve gotten my parents to drive me there!! I was SO CLOSE to them!!!! *sobbing*
    Georgie looks fantabulous, I love her coat and hat! and if Will Poultler had been there, i would REALLY be sobbing right now. he is so cute <3 <3 <3
    i guess they are just people, but even still, i would like to meet them and get their autographs. I mean, they act as the PEVENSIES for aslan’s sake! the Pevensies rock!
    oh well, i’m so happy for the little girl that met Skandar, I’d probably say the same exact things that she did if i ever met any of the actors. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Edmund's Queen says:

So I’m not the only one. I wish they’d have made it more public that they were coming, but I guess they had their reasons. Too many screaming fans would be insane! And believe me, I am a huge fan. But if I had gone, I probably would have said or done something really stupid and embarassing out of nervous excitement in front of Skandar. I love him…

• Annabeth says:

same here. I’ve been a fan for 5 or 6 years now. LOL, skandar was pretty awesome in PC, but i thought he was kinda lame in VDT. if i ever saw Will Poultler , i probably would, like, screamed "Will, i love you!!!!" and get arrested for coming within five feet of him or something like that. πŸ™

• laura says:

why you think skandar was lame? in PC he had just a few lines and in VDT he fought the sea serpent and that was a very cool scene!

• Ally says:

Um, correction, Will Poulter is not cute! But it’s okay if you think that. πŸ™‚

• Vicki Fitz says:

I sure do wish something this great would happen in Wisconsin. How wonderful that they made it such a memorable event. My children would literally faint if they ever met ANY of the Narnia actors!

• Emily says:

I’ll tell you what, Georgie’s gonna be a knockout (she kind of already is). I’m jealous, I’m not that pretty and that plus her enduringly good-natured personality means that I must dislike her ’cause those are just my rules. xD You’re awesome Georgie and Skandar! πŸ˜€

• laura says:

i dont know why but i have the feeling georgie will be very succesful as and actress! and skandar is a great actor but if he is taking 4 years off i dont think we’ll ever hear from him again…

• nurul says:

aww ! i wish i was there with keynes ! hahaha~

• IfnarniadiedsowouldI says:

I live in SA and have read every single book. Why, do they consider SA a third world country. I eman c’mon Kim K is in SA for pepter’s sake! I love Narnia adn it would make my day if the stars knockedm on my door! SO pls can they actually sop thsui fussa bout other countries and coem to SA!<3 Narnia and Skandar and Georgie is my role model!

• jagan says:

Narnia move is beautiful,Lucy acting is amazing

• ilmi skandar says:

hey please .
    come to malaysia !
    i really really really wanna see yaa` .

• lavenia'nhya'kumontoy says:

I want to meet you all …..

• son of adam says:

Matthew Vaughn, director of Stardust and Kick-ass, should direct the next Narnia movies!

Stardust budget – 70mil
    Kick-ass budget – 30mil

• mavith says:

it’s sad that the pevensie kids will no longer go back to narnia in the next chapters. but i do wish to see edmund, lucy,peter and susan on the coming films even if minor roles only.

• claireyy says:

i want to meet them : (

• Sara Elizabeth says:

Achei tΓ£o linda atitude deles, deram o nome de Aslan ao filhote de leΓ£o que coisa fofa aquele filhote! πŸ˜€

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry