Douglas Gresham on The Lady of the Green Kirtle

Posted December 20, 2010 9:27 pm by Glumpuddle

NarniaFans has posted their video interview with Douglas Gresham (producer/Lewis’ stepson) at the premiere of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Gresham talks a little about why the green mist was added to the story, and then transitions to The Silver Chair. View the interview here; he starts talking about the LotGK at the 2:48 mark. (Thanks to Danyelle)

NF: Does [the green mist] foreshadow The Lady of the Green Kirtle?
DG:
Well, that’s probably why the mist is green. But, that’s the only foreshadowing effect.
[…]
NF: Would Green Kirtle Lady be a new cast or would Tilda–

DG: I think it will have to be a new cast. This evil spirit has found a new, young body in which to inhabit, and I think that has to happen.

NF: Do you know if the plan is to go forward with The Silver Chair if this one does really well?
DG:
Well, that’s a moot point. We are still in discussions as to exactly what to do next. The leading opinion, I think, among the filmmakers is that we should do Silver Chair. There are probably some who would like to do The Magician’s Nephew or something. This is a decision we will have to make when we know whether we’re going to be making another Narnia movie.

Barbara Kellerman

For budgetary reasons, the BBC Narnia productions cast the same actress (Barbara Kellerman) as both The White Witch and The Lady of the Green Kirtle. Some fans have been speculating about whether Walden might take the same route and cast Tilda Swinton as the Lady of the Green Kirtle. Now it appears they will cast a new actress.

IMDb currently has The Silver Chair listed for a 2011 release, but this is NOT an official announcement. The reason as to why it is listed as a 2011 release can be found on our FAQ page here. Keep checking back; maybe there will be an announcement soon!

Thank God Tilda won’t be playing the LotGK.

• Caspian says:

Hear hear!

• Beren says:

Out of all the horrible concessions Gresham has made, let’s hope he doesn’t back down on this one.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

give the guy a break, he’s on OUR side, it’s hollywood that forces him into these things or they won’t make it.

• Not Of This World says:

I have to agre with Shelly Belly. We’re all Narnians and we’re all trying to see these movies being made.

• samuel says:

I just don’t think he has as much authority as we think. He probably got them to switch around the undragoning so it wouldn’t appear to be from good works but rather unto good works, but he probably couldn’t get them to get rid of the battle. Hopefully the film makers themselves will see that the character needs a different actress, and I hope that if the green mist is continued that she will be the cause of the green mist, not come out of it. I’d like it to go along the lines of "The dark Island has been destroyed and she has been forced to flee to the north to regain power." similar to how the white witch caused the great winter. LOTGK has to be the villain in the SC, not the sub villain…

• Princess Lucy says:

I knowww!!!!!…thats agreat decision hehehe…now we will watch a film with a new villian finally..here comes the silver chair πŸ™‚

• Eleanor Gold says:

I was content after he said Tilda Swinton wasn’t going to play the Lady of the Green Kirtle. Life has new meaning. I like Tilda alright, but SERIOUSLY?!

• Gem says:

Well, it’s more than just stupid. It’s not right. C.S. Lewis specifically points out that the Emerald Witch is her own person, only related to the White Witch because they are the same race. The White Witch is dead!!! She is NOT the Emerald Witch, and so if Tilda acted her part, it would imply that they are one in the same and that the spirit of what was once the White Witch was never really defeated.

• Griffle says:

Tilda is such a good actress that, even though they would look similar, you wouldn’t think of them as the same. She IS an actress after all. I’d prefer it if they used someone else though, which seems to be the case here. It’s a pity they’ll never make Silver Chair as a movie.

• Flute Player says:

I think it would be especially horrid if they had Tilda come back now, because I remember in the new movie, when Edmund sees the WW in the Dark Island, he says something about, "You can’t hurt me. YOU’RE DEAD!" So if she comes back again, it’ll be like, OK, so first Aslan killed her, and she was dead. Then she came back in PC and Ed stabbed her, and she was dead. Then she came back as the green mist, and when Eustace put that seventh sword on the table, she screamed and evaporated and was dead. So now, if they had her come back AGAIN and then Rilian hacked her head off, that would just be wrong.

• Mrs. Skandar Keynes says:

I honestly don’t mind if Tilda comes back, but if Skandar Keynes doesn’t come back then I think that I am going to cry.

• ANΓ“NIMO says:

Dirigido a la SRA DE SKANDAR KEYNES:
        pienso que sueΓ±as demasiado la que de verdad va a ser su novia es mi amiga, ella va a salir y todo en la silla de plata.
        LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL.

• Tribunal says:

Of course she won’t since the likelihood of The Silver Chair being made is very slim.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

not necessarily, they have a deep interest at Walden to get this made

• samuel says:

If fox drops this, It isn’t unheard of that a production studio becomes self distributing, if walden does have enough interest and gets backing

Yes! THANK YOU MR. GRESHAM!! This means a lot to us. πŸ™‚

• AslanJudah says:

If this was facebook I would click "like."

• Queen Su says:

This is GREAT news! πŸ™‚ I’m so happy!

• Mangolite says:

If not Tilda Swinton, maybe Cate Blanchett. Joan Allen would also make a wonderful witch. If SC do see the light of Day, and yeah, no dumbing down to us audience. I hate cheesy dialogues and letting me know what is going to happened next. Swallow the red pill first then the blue pill-oops I meant you need to choose only one.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i picture someone more traditionally beautiful, and younger just to be different. someone who looks like Megan Fox, with that cruel beauty look.

• ClodsleyTrowel says:

As long as we’re dream-casting the Lady, I agree with the suggestion that the actress should be someone more conventionally beautiful than Swinton or Blanchett. Naomi Watts has been my preferred pick for this role for quite some time.

• Anhun says:

I’m for Christy Turlington. I don’t know if she can act, but I think she has the perfect look for the role.

• Mrs. Skandar Keynes says:

I think, if they’re going for beauties, then it should be Scarlett Johannsen or Natalie Portman

• Mangolite says:

Wow, a younger witch! Megan Fox definitely has the looks, but she can’t act. I can’t see Scarlett Johansson although she’s very beautiful. Despite Natalie Portman’s personal belief with her raving review on her performance in the BLACK SWAN, I think she’s the best choice to play LTGK. Another young actress that could fill the role is Amanda Seyfried. Honorable mention, for some one much older, bring back MISERY Kathy Bates. Now, that is a scary witch.

• Akhalteke15 says:

I think they would do well with a no-name actress. They did a great job casting the four Pevense’s…

• Bloodlust says:

LUCY lAWLESS as LOTGK !!!!!!!!

• Swordebrithil12 says:

It would be seriously boring if Tilda played The Emerald Witch. I have a feeling they’re going to name her in the movie which I’m fine with. I kind of pictured Nicole Kidman as the Witch.

• Braden Woodburn says:

Yeah I know me too. Both the White Witch and The Lady of the Green Kirtle are two complete different witches so having different actress will be best, not to make the same mistake that BBC did. Also, I am so glad it was mentioned they are most likely doing The Silver Chair next! YAY.

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Amen!!

• Narnian Meerkat says:

So with you Glumpuddle!!!!!

• Not Of This World says:

I really like him πŸ™‚

• narnian1 says:

IMDb’s date for The Silver Chair has been up before VDT was filmed, before Disney even dropped out of the series. The page was made shortly after VDT’s page actually. So yes, that’s just a speculation of the time and hasn’t been updated since. Glad to hear a new actress will play the role, and not Tilda.

• DigoryKirkeofPhil says:

i think i agree with the others. casting Tilda would mean casting Jadis again. The Queen of Underland should be a new actress.

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

This makes me even more excited about The Silver Chair! I hope they make it!

• Shastafan says:

Phew! I haven’t been worried about that lately (’cause I thought the movie makers wouldn’t go that far), but I’m relieved we are not to see Tilda be or the WW be LotGK! πŸ˜‰

• thesithempire says:

Tilda’s a great actress, but I don’t feel the filmmakers captured the look and feel of Lewis’ White Witch as well as either of the BBC versions. I still don’t get why Adamson had to mess with the aesthetics of Narnia. The White Witch was such an iconic character, and was illustrated, making it so much easier for Adamson to get the right look. Tilda looked too much like Galadriel’s evil sister.

That said, at this point, I wouldn’t mind Tilda in the role of Lady of the Green Kirtle, though with completely different makeup, hair, clothes and performance, as if she’s a completely different character (which she is), but with a weird, unexplained connection to the White Witch.

But I won’t object to another actress either, so long as she has the power and majesty the Lady should command.

• Tauriel says:

I actually liked Tilda’s White Witch much better than the White Witch of the BBC TV series. The latter felt way too cartoony and just ridiculous – Tilda was icily beautiful and quite scary.

I liked Tilda in LWW. I thought her calm demeanor actually made her even more scary. I think it evoked the character in The Magician’s Nephew. She always felt in control.

When I first heard she was going to have blond hair, I was surprised. But when I saw it in the film, I really liked it. I guess black hair just seems too obvious.
      (The book does not say what color her hair is. It is black in Baynes’ illustrations…but those illustrations were originally black and white so this is hardly remarkable)

Her costumes were awesome. I think Tilda said it best: They didn’t look man-made.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I realize her skin tone and hair color did not match the descriptions and illustrations, but Tilda was so convincing in the role that those things mattered very little. It was a different spin on the character than we’ve seen previously. Artistically, that is more fun than having the same look re-hashed for the character again and again. Tilda is the greatest depiction of Jadis to date. No question in my mind.

It is interesting to note that in some of her cameos, her skin tone is much much whiter in color. But it is more subtle than just painting her like The Joker. I don’t think that would work very well because you would lose some of Tilda’s natural beauty.

• samuel says:

I agree Mayor, I noticed this especially in PC, where when she is called up in what I can only assume is a vision or ghostly form (and not actually the WW herself) she is once again her royal state, with a more flawless complexion, just how a temptation would come to you, looking more beautiful than the actual article. In Votd she looks understandably more creepy and also more scary, like a fear would

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Yep. πŸ˜‰ She looked quite beautiful in "Prince Caspian." I loved how her hair floated behind her as if underwater. It definitely seemed like a ghost or spirit of the White Witch. I think it was alluding to her being reborn. With a new ice gown, and her wand in the floor would probably have been remade by the ice. We’ll never know though. If I were her, I’d have found some more evil creatures as guards. ;P The hag and werwolf were not enough.

As for "Dawn Treader," I personally loved her in that…. maybe even a little more than in "Caspian." She looked a bit more "undead" in those shots…all of the mist’s creations were unable to look completely beautiful… as if it couldn’t hide its evil nature. But she was still beautiful in a creepier sense. And her eyes…. there was magic in those eyes. The green of them likely held the power of the Green Mist, perhaps. Anyway, they were certainly captivating and instantly noticeable. The whole thing added a bit of tension to the final moments.

• Gem says:

Seriously? How can anyone compare Tilda Swinton to the BBC White Witch? The BBC White Witch looked like a performer escaped from the circus, while Tilda Swinton had the poise and complete confidence in her control and powers that she ought to have. Tilda Swinton is a brillant actor. She could capture a whole world of emotion with just one line, and with one look she could freeze you to ice inside, just like she should be. I think she was perfect. Absolutely amazing.

• Christian Miles says:

Of course, someone claimed Jadis looked like someone escaped from the circus in "Magician’s Nephew" once she escaped to England.

But I have to agree. The White Witch in the BBC films was more like a theater actor than a professional. She made every line flamboyantly dramatic, and ultimately ridiculous. I remember thinking she was more annoying than scary when I was a kid.

I hope Cate Blanchett plays The Lady of the Green Kirtle. She and Tilda look like they could be sisters, and Cate Blanchett has done such a diversity of looks in her roles (Galadriel, Elizabeth, the antagonist in that last Indiana Jones movie…). I think she could pull it off and then some.

Guess we’ll have to see if it’s even made before we start hypothesizing. πŸ™‚

• Gem says:

I meant that the actress who played the WW in the BBC series was just a bad actor all around who looked like a madwoman rather than an intimidating witch. No, I don’t think Cate Blanchett should play the Emerald Witch. Yes, she is an amazing actor, but first, of all, she doesn’t look the part. The EW should have dark hair and a more human, feminine face. Blanchett looks too much like Tilda. The Emeral Witch and the WW ARE different people after all. They shouldn’t look like twins just because they are from the same race. And having her play the Emerald Witch would remind people of the Lord of the Rings rather than Narnia.

• narnian elv says:

maybe reminding people of LOTR wouldn’t such a bad idea, it might equal more publicity and ticket sales. Or even better, we should remind the film makers and producers of LOTR so they’ll see how to make AMAZING adaptions of AMAZING books! (see, micheal apted, it can be done! and done well! w\o having to change a bunch of stuff) I wish BBC would make Narnia again, I think they’d do it right, only thing would be they’d have to be willing to put up the $ for the visual effects.

• Gem says:

BBC doesn’t have the money or resources or ability to do a modern Narnia series that would do well. And Narnia is it’s own place, you can’t compare it to Middle-earth. To make Narnia resemble the Lord of the Rings would be a failure to make the Narnin stories films.

• narnian elv says:

you might be surprised at BBC could do, if they were willing. I didn’t say I wanted Narnia to resemble LOTR but I think the people behind the Narnia films could learn something from how the LOTR films were made. I like the LOTR adaptions for many reasons 1. They didn’t add anything major that wasn’t in the book. Sure, they emphasized some themes that were more minor in the book for the purposes of character development, and they added a little more to the Aragorn\Arwen storyline, but pretty much everything they added or changed that I can think of right now was simply things that are in the books they just chose to give either more of\or less of an emphasis in the movies. 2. They were very wise in what they left out. They knew what their goal was in making these movies, and what themes they wanted to bring out, and they edited accordingly. They didn’t cut any from the book that is necessary to the story, and most importantly they didn’t cut things and then add their own stuff.(my personal biggest pet peeve with movie makers) They just cut what was un-necessary w\o losing the feel themes from the book . 3. The few things they DID change made SENSE! Like how they re-structered part of the begginning of Fellowship, they needed to do that for the movie, becuase really that’s probably the most boring\slowest part of the books right there and they had to do something to make move faster. 4. I really feel like they had respect for the books and Tolkein all the way through, if there was a way to do it right, they did it right. This is something I’ve felt like has been missing from the last two Narnia films. Some little details, that aren’t going to make or break the film, have been lacking, and these are the things they nailed in LOTR. For instance, in PC Lewis specifically says that none of the children sat on the Stone Table…and then in the movie there Lucy is laying all over it. I cringe everytime I see that scene. I know that probably the only people that care about stuff like that are Narnia geeks but seriously it’s something that Lewis specifically mentioned in PC and it’s not it’s going to cost alot, or totally change the scene to simply have Lucy sitting somewhere else. It’s not a big deal, but to me it shows a lack of respect from the movie makers which eventually transfers into changes in everything else too.

• Anhun says:

Actually, Gem, IMO that was one of the downfalls of PC: they tried to make it into LOTR junior, all the way down to traipsing through the woods of New Zealand.

• Gem says:

No, they did not try to make it into a LOTR junior. The reason it was bad was because they had bad screen writing. The story was poorly written and therefore turned out poorly. And the LOTR movies were very muched so changed from the books. Thankfully, most of the changes were either harmless, unnoticeable, or added to the story, but some of them didn’t, like the Aragorn/Arwen romance. But I do agree with you, for the most part, they made the movies with respect for the original stories that Tolkien had written. In PC and VDT, that is completely and obviously not something anyone thought of or worried about. And yes, the scene with Lucy lying on the Stone Table is hypocritical and inappropriete. Looks like I’m a Narnian geek too. But I already knew that. ^_^

• Not Of This World says:

Guessing by your username, you seem like a fellow star wars fan. Merry Sithmas! πŸ˜‰

• Tumnus_Luver says:

Whew. That was a close one! If he doesn’t like the idea, I hope he fights for it in the end. Way to go Mr. Gresham!

• Eustace+Jill says:

I thought it was interesting that Douglas Gresham said, "This evil spirit has found a new, young body in which to inhabit." I guess that means he thinks the LOTGK and Jadis are the same soul, just in two different bodies…

• stateofgreen says:

Yeah really weird comment about it being the same evil spirit. Not liking that, philosophically speaking.

• Anhun says:

I know. The white witch is supposed to represent coldness and hatred of others. The emerald witch is darkness and hatred of self. Equally evil, but not the same evil.

• stateofgreen says:

Yeah, I’d like to see a different evil and not one that is connected with the White Witch in any way. The franchise needs new villainess blood like they do screenwriters.

• Anhun says:

Well, in the book it says that LGK is of the "same sort" as the white witch. It is unclear whether "sort" means race, which would make LGK her daughter or other direct descendant; or if "sort" means type of magical practice, which would make LGK her protegΓ©e. Either way, there is a connection, but they are not the same.

• Gem says:

I don’t know if he means that the evil spirit of Jadis is still alive and has settled into a new body (the Emerald Witch) or if he just means that evil is now being portrayed as someone new, and is now working through someone else. Very interesting statement, and if he meant the first, that Jadis’s spirit and The Emerald Witch’s spirit are one, I strongly disagree.

• wolfloversk says:

Yeah… well as long as there’s no indication in the film I’m happy.

• coracle says:

No, Mr Gresham does NOT mean it is the same soul in a new body. If you have been around NarniaWeb a while you might well have seen this explained here. Mr Gresham has explained this for us before – he has said it is the same spirit of evil that influences a different person. To have the same soul would suggest he and C.S.Lewis believed in reincarnation – which neither of them would ever subscribe to.

• Not Of This World says:

Nicly put Coracle πŸ™‚

• lysander says:

Still, the way he phrased it was REALLY tacky, and I’m not sure Lewis meant for "evil" in Narnia to be quite the way Gresham describes it here.

On the plus side, he has an AWESOME speaking voice. I’ve thought so ever since I heard him do the introductions to the Focus on the Family radio dramas.

• Gem says:

Coracle. I have been on Narniaweb for years and have seen what Gresham has said. But what he said now was confusing and he didn’t phrase it in a way to make it clear of what he meant. If YOU had been around Narniaweb very long, you would know that Gresham does that a lot.
        Just tit for tat.

• Reepicheep says:

Why are you all saying that Tilda shouldn’t be cast as the Green Lady? It would make sense because of all the comparisons and speculation between the White Witch and the Green Lady and how many think they’re both the same.

• stateofgreen says:

Some of us are tired of Tilda.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

nothing against you personally, Tilda, if you are reading this- it’s white witch fatique we mean-

you personally are amazing!

• Clodsley Mole says:

Why do you think it would make sense to have an extremely tall, very distinct looking, striking but not "pretty pretty" woman in her mid-late 40s, who has already played one major character, playing a different character, who is a very much younger pretty woman and who is supposed to look different and not be recognised by anyone [presumably including the audience]?

The same reason Tilda Swinton should not play Puddleglum.
      They’re different characters. Therefore a different actress should be cast.

Anyone who thinks the WW is the LotGK is saying that the prophecy in LWW was a LIE. The prophecy said the filling of the four thrones would mean the end of the WW’s life. Aslan killed the White Witch in LWW. The end.

I think there are three main reasons that some people started getting confused about this: 1)BBC cast the same actress due to budgetary constrains. 2) HarperCollins mistakenly said they were the same character in their character bios. 3) The rising popularity of fan-fiction.

It could also result from fans just not reading the book closely enough.

• Gem says:

Because it gives the impression that the White Witch and the Emeral Witch are the same person or spirit. People who are not familiar with the stories would think that. And that is one of the biggest mistakes they could make. Just think of what C.S. Lewis would say.

• echelonangel15 says:

Every time I have read the Silver Chair there have been slight clues that the Lady and Witch are the same. Not because of the BBC, I never watched them. With Magician’s Nephew we learn she is the last survivor, so no relatives, and with her pride of ‘royal blood’ she wouldn’t be the type to lower her standards for an heir. She plans on invading Narnia in Winter. What better a triumphant return than in Winter and on a horse called Snowflake? Plus she wouldn’t seem familiar to anyone because all who have known her as the Witch are either not present in this story or dead, leaving rumors of the Lady being ‘like’ the White Witch of legend more prevalent to the modern Narnians and visiting humans.
      But still, if they keep the same actress or not, just the fact that they would be making the Silver Chair in the first place is exciting and I can’t wait to see it:) I wouldn’t be picky.

• Anhun says:

Now, Jadis is particular about royal blood, yes, but not necessarily Charnian royal blood. She respects Andrew at first blush, when she thinks he’s human royalty. So, I don’t see that she would have a problem having a child with a member of the Narnian royal family. Also, it’s possible that she took on a Narnian or Archenland royal as her protegΓ©e and convinced her to eat one of the silver apples, that could be how the green lady came to be the green lady.

• Edmund's Queen says:

It will be cool to see a new villain (yes, Miraz was new, but seriously, there’s nothing great about him.) I also liked what he said about the evil spirit inhabiting a new body. Let’s hope they make this! I want to see a Rilian. If he looks anything like his mother or father, I will be sighing most dreamedly. πŸ™‚

• Not Of This World says:

Mabey they would cast me ! (Just kidding πŸ™‚ not old enough πŸ™ )

• samuel says:

I liked the movie Miraz, though there is more villainy in the movie than he, the whole of the telmarines are the villains, the "advisors" of miraz, also the pevensies not following aslans lead. It’s a very complex story is the movie as well in the book.

• Thyservant says:

Maybe the LotGK is a human follower of WW and she has sold her soul to Jadis when WW invades Narnia long time ago and now that Caspian grows old and the faith of Narnians grows weak, the time is ripe. Creepy thing: Queen Swanwhite, the last human ruler of Narnia before the Great Winter, who disappears without trace when WW invades is actually abducted, tempted, twisted and ‘preserved’ for some menacing reasons by WW… Well, just some wild crazy imagination of my own… You know, both Queen Swanwhite and the Green Witch are exceptionally beautiful, of course, in different aspects…

• Thyservant says:

And the WW is WHITE so she gives Swanwhite another colour – GREEN.

• Thyservant says:

As for the silver chair, it is actually the chair of the WW(that explains why it is so magical), and as the WW falls, the ‘Swangreen’ takes it underground in the north.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

Where in the books does it talk about Queen Swanwhite, because I don’t recall reading about her?

• Thyservant says:

She is only mentioned in LB recalling the happy old days of Narnia, which says that her rein is before WW. However, the timeline apart from the series says that her rein is between the Pevensies and the first invasion of Telmarines.

• Anhun says:

The timeline was published after his death by someone else, we don’t know for sure if it was legit.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

it’s funny how picky we get about this stuff , like it’s real or something- LOL

• Anhun says:

I guess we just like internal consistency. But, if Swanwhite were pre-Pevensie, that would make a great backstory for LGK.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

That’s interesting. I thought for sure Tilda was going to play her. I thought it would be kind of interesting if she did, but apparantly she’s not.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

If it’s not Tilda, they are probably going to do something else to connect the two witches. My guess is their look will be very similar. Perhaps their hair will be done in a similar way. Who knows? As much as I love DG, he does not make the final decisions. So Tilda could still show up. And if not as the Green Lady, I’d wager another White Witch scene is in the cards.

I just hope they don’t make them sisters or something. That would be pretty cliche, and Jadis already had a sister who she destroyed in Charn. If they have to connect them, I wouldn’t mind too much if the two witches had known each other at one time or something. Glimfeather DID say they were "part of the same crew". Maybe the LotGK got some of her ideas from Jadis.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

didnt that mean they are both giantesses? or maybe just evil types-

• samuel says:

they are both from charn? that’s the confusing thing. I wonder if the WW had a child up in the North before the great winter.

• Anhun says:

If they do decide to interpret "same sort/crew" as same race, the only explanation would be that LGK is WW’s descendant, as you said (child, grandchild, etc.), since WW was the last of her race when she left Charn. We know that the WW went off to the north after she ate the apple in MN, so it makes sense that her descendant would be ruling a kingdom in the north (or under the north).

• DOECOG says:

Except Jadis killed her sister and every other person in Charn.

• Anhun says:

Jadis could have bewitched someone from the royal house of Narnia into marrying her, in an early, failed attempt to conquer Narnia. That union could have produced a child. That would explain how Jadis had descendants?

• Aunt Letty says:

When I was a kid, I thougt Puddleglum mean that they were the same race, but later realized that couldn’t be, since Jadis was the last person left alive on her world (unless Jadis had offspring, but that’s just too creepy to contemplate), so I think he may have meant "the same crew" in the way you’d say "the same ilk" or "just as bad". Either way, they follow the same spirit of anti-christ and despair, which is really the point of either of them.

• son of adam says:

I hope there are different person to play Lady of the Green Kirtle. I want fresh feeling.

• son of adam says:

I hope there are different person to play Lady of the Green Kirtle. I want freshness feeling.

• ilovefauns says:

I was very happy when i saw the interview i had to send it. It’s good the same person will not be playing the lady of green kirtle. πŸ™‚

• yeswelovenarnia says:

I really like this interview!!!! I thought from the moment I saw the green mist it had something to do with the Lady of the Green Kirtle. I personally don’t care either way if Tilda plays the Lady of the Green Kirtle but I am glad they want to get someone new πŸ™‚ I think it adds more depth to the story that way, cause you know it’s a different person!

• Pepper Darcy says:

wow! I’m really surprised they chose to do a new person… not that it’s been *greenlit* but still! Wow. I would have been fine either way, but it’ll be neat to see who they pick!

We just saw the movie again last night with friends, and our theater had lots of people there (considering the dinky town and size of our area)… and Eustace had me all excited for The Silver Chair. So this is great news! It adds excitement to what’s going to happen! πŸ™‚ Well, it *really* sounds like we’re getting The Silver Chair! πŸ™‚ It’s not official, but it sounds hopeful!

P.S. Please pick Patrick Stewart for Puddleglum! πŸ™‚

• Pepper Darcy says:

see? The White Witch won’t be in all of them! πŸ™‚ There’s proof of that now for LB, SC, and HHB. MN is a different story πŸ™‚

• trinity-hawkeye says:

what does DITTO means?

• narnian elv says:

basically Ditto means "I agree"

• Mangolite says:

I thought it means "I love you" as quoted from GHOST with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze. Or unless I miss understood- hehe.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

ditto means "me too". Such as Demi said :"i love you" . "ditto meant": " I love you, but im too embaressed to say the words". ditto= same here

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

for those of you too young to remember- a "ditto" was a copy . The copier was called a ditto machine. The paper you were writing on had ink on the back (like some checkbooks have now). you fed it into a ditto machine and the ink rubbed off on subsequent copies of paper. so a "ditto" is an exact copy of the original. so what demi said to patrick in "Ghost", he was saying back exactly, in a quicker , more impersonal way. (there’s some ancient history for you! )

• Hwin says:

I think that recasting Tilda would be a really big mistake! Great actress, yes, and she was amazing as the White Witch, but it clearly says in the book that LOTGK was simply of perhaps ‘the same kind’. She traps people with false sweetness and charm and pure slyness.

If the recast Tilda, and make it seem like the White Witch had returned, then it would make it seem like the evil power is stronger than the ultimate power of Alslan. The White Witch is DEAD. Gone. Yes, in VDT she was in Edmund’s thoguhts, but that is logical and a totally different situation.

Anyways, I hope Doug Gresham is right, and I also am really hoping SC will have a possibility of being made πŸ˜€ There’s still hope…

• Reepicheep775 says:

REJOICE!!!

Oh man, this is great!

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Hmm…. This is a shame. No one can compare to Tilda Swinton.
    Bringing Tilda back full time would have been a very good idea for the movies.
    A central villain always helps a movie franchise. I’ve tried to explain why before.
    But DG doesn’t make the final decisions. So it could still happen. πŸ˜›
    White Witch cameo–still very possible. πŸ˜‰

I guess some fanatical book purists will be happy. *irritated sigh*
    I thought The Green Lady was a pretty weak villain in comparison to the first witch. No Narnia villain compares to The White Witch. I’m sorry. Just one more reason for me not to see "The Silver Chair." Unless Cate Blanchett plays her– I’d watch that.

Anyway, I’ve always supported making "The Magician’s Nephew" next.
    The origin of Narnia is far more interesting and more colorful.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I guess there’s some consolation in knowing DG considers it "the same evil." Evil is a force in Narnia and now it will embody itself again. I bet whoever they decide to cast will look very similar in style (hair, costume) as The White Witch to give it some connection to the first embodiment. Still– I’d prefer Tilda over anyone else. She’s the best.

• Anhun says:

Not to nitpick, but Tilda didn’t wear a kirtle. So they’d have to change LGK to Lady of the Green Funky Avant-Guard Ballgown? πŸ˜›
        . . . sorry, I couldn’t resist.

You say the LotGK was a weak villain, but I don’t know, I think she has her own evil charm. Jadis is tougher, colder, more controlling, and more regal, but the LotGK is much more deceptive. No one in Narnia knew she existed until she kidnapped Rilian–that’s some clever sneakiness on her part. She could act much sweeter than Jadis, fooling people into thinking she was nice (she fooled at least three people, while Jadis only managed to get Edmund [I don’t know if Digory counts] to fall for it–and he was a brat). The LotGK was also very patient, slowly building up her enchanted Earthmen army, killing Ramandu’s daughter in her snake form, then seducing (some people don’t like that term, but I think it fits) Rilian in her human form, keeping him for ten years underground while she brainwashed him and very carefully dug to the surface. And her goal was to conquer Narnia with its own prince–who would be her husband, but more importantly her puppet. She was brilliant at undermining Narnia and working behind the scenes to achieve a massive overthrow. Maybe she doesn’t seem as powerful as the WW, but remember she hadn’t completed her plan yet. If she had succeeded, Narnia would have come to its knees. Her defeat just seems anti-climatic because there was no huge battle to go along with it.

But I do think, that despite all her clever planning, she made some major mistakes. Enchanting an honorable Narnian prince with a spell that gave him an hour of lucidity–not a good idea. Enchanting gnomes who weren’t her real allies and would only follow orders like robots–not a good idea. Thinking Aslan would let her get away with her evil plot–not a good idea (it makes me wonder if she was in some denial about his existence). And of course, underestimating a Marshwiggle who had staunch faith in Aslan–not a good idea at all. πŸ˜‰

So, I guess in the end its all about your personal preference. I think both witches are about equal–though its true Jadis got to rule Narnia for 100 years and the LotGK didn’t. But Jadis never got to manipulate a prince…

Okay, sorry I talked so long, but I’m just sitting here at home having a good time analyzing Narnian characters. My point is that I don’t want Tilda Swinton to play the LotGK, and I think they’re both good villains, but I respect your opinion. So I’ll just shut up now. πŸ˜‰

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Putting it like that, it sounds cooler. πŸ˜‰
        I personally always considered Jadis the "king villain" of the chronicles.
        The Green Lady had a good plan, but she never got to go through with it, and as a result, she never really got to shine. Although, killing Ramandu’s Daughter is pretty wicked of her. All in all, LOTGK just doesn’t do it for me because she never seemed quite developed, but who knows? Another actress just might make it work.

I do admit that her "green as poison" snake form really sounds cool in the book.
        I like the way Lewis kept saying that the Lady’s dress was "green as poison" and he also described the snake that way so there was an obvious connection. Very good stuff. πŸ˜‰ Makes me wonder guys, what would her snake form look like? A Green Mamba or something a little more fantastical? And how big would it be? Notice that the Sea Serpent had a bit of a green color to it. I don’t think the Lady’s form would be quite that massive though. I imagined it slightly smaller.

• Anhun says:

I’ve always felt that WW and LGK were the two top villains of Narnia, equal in their villainy, but having a very different style and metaphorical function.

Love your post by the way. πŸ™‚

• Aunt Letty says:

Oh, yes, the Lady of the Green Kirtle is a daunting villain, alright. Her evil is in the form of turning Truth on it’s head, making it sound unreasonable, while presenting evil as the only rational course. The worst kind of wickedness doesn’t come in the form of an open attack, in my opinion, but in the form of an attractively packaged lie embedded in a reasonable truth. The LotGK is the embodiment of that kind of evil.

I hope those who cast SC (if it makes it onto film) are wise enough to not put all their eggs in the "beautiful" basket, when they choose a Green Witch. I hope they look for someone capable of portraying the nuances of a character both supremely subtle, cunning, and duplicitous, while at the same time almost naively confident and deeply ignorant of her own fallacies.

I’d rather have a sharply intelligent actress for the Lady of the Green Kirtle than a lovely one. A skilled actress knows how to act beautiful. She wouldn’t necessarily have to be very young, either, since the LotGK isn’t really. In fact, a more mature actress would be more likely to have the depth of experience for the role, plus, her physicality could lend itself to the decadence of a character pretending to be sweet while intending harm.

What about Victoria Smurfit? An irish actress, she has both range and subtlety, and she’s very beautiful and expressive. I think it should definitely be a European actress. In the U.S. we don’t seem to be producing any more actresses with that sort of unreachable Lady-ness that the British still have. You need that kind of aura to convince the audience that the LotGK is more than human.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

I agree Mayor, i feel like TLOTGK is kinda boring and not impressive as a villian. Matter of fact the book SC kinda bored me. I really would love to see MN next but for the sake of continuity and Eustace’s age, I guess we need to make it first. I hope they beef up Caspian’s part and make it more about him, his marriage, his regaining youth, etc. If it’s just another movie about trudgeing around a marsh for 2 hours, I’ll be pretty bored. I’d much rather see the creation of Narnia and now they have mind blowing effects, its would be so cool. Notice how gresham seemed really surprised 75% wanted SC before MN. He probably thinks MN is a superior book too. I REALLY don’t want to wait 4 years with baited breath for it, like i did for 2 1/2 years for VDT.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I once read, and I forget where–maybe in the "LWW Official Guide," that Douglas Gresham REALLY wanted to make "The Magician’s Nephew" into a movie. Same with Mark Johnson and Andrew Adamson–oh, and Tilda Swinton as well. πŸ˜‰ So you never know.

Not looking to start a fight or anything, but I agree. "The Silver Chair" is not that much fun for me. "The Magician’s Nephew" would be a better story for the movies. It would translate very well. It is bright, colorful, imaginative, multiple places are visited–plus, Jadis, the original villain, is back in the flesh. And she gets into OUR WORLD. No Narnian character has EVER done that before. It would be awesome! πŸ˜€

"Magician’s Nephew" next! πŸ˜€

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

maybe they could have 2 units making them at the same time so the will come out 2 years in a row instead of maknig us wait so long.- I HOPE

• _Lilliandil_ says:

I really hope they make SC! I do not think Tilda should be cast as The Lady of the Green Kirtle. It wouldn’t be THAT bad but it’s wouldn’t be that right either. The Lady of the Green Kirtle is supposed to be young and breathtakingly beautiful. Tilda is beautiful but a different kind of beauty than the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

HAPPY NEWS!!!! All this talk would not be taking place if there was not a chance that Silver Chair could be made! But no more Pevensies πŸ™ Only for a while though. We all love Eustace now and seeing who will play Jill will be cool πŸ™‚

• Edmundsdefender says:

Watch, they’ll make The Magician’s Nephew next just so they CAN have Tilda return as the WW. πŸ˜›

• Lucylove says:

Magicians Nephew!!!

I just hope we haven’t resorted to praising the filmmakers when they don’t do something stupid. πŸ˜‰

That would be pathetic, wouldn’t it? πŸ˜‰ But we might as well voice our approval loud and clear!

• A_Narnian_Ship says:

okay, i laughed out loud on that one…it does seem like that doesn’t it? If only we had a "Peter Jackson" for Narnia.

• Pepper Darcy says:

OOOOH yeah! Peter Jackson for Narnia! Wooooohooo! Then I’d have no fears!

• narnian elv says:

you know, sometimes I almost wish Jackson was directing the Narnia movies. He did a great job with LOTR. Of course those are slightly more mature movies then Narnia(actually showing blood, for one). I have a hard time seeing him direct some of the more fantasy type ones like VDT but LB or SC seem like ones he could do a good job with. At this point, I didn’t think I’d ever say this but….I wish they’d bring Adamson back. He might have messed up somethings in PC but at least he seemed to get the feel of it, the themes etc. And don’t forget the great job he did with LWW.

Random thought of the day: If Fox drops the franchise might BBC be able to pick it up??? (thinking glorious thoughts about what might result if this were to happen)and make Peter Jackson the director for LB and SC! now we’re really cooking!

• Edmund's Queen says:

Peter Jackson+Narnia= Perfection and one happy me! πŸ™‚

• Twinimage says:

or haven’t done something stupid… yet. lol πŸ™‚

• williams says:

As long as Alan Rickman plays Puddleglum I’m good.

• Anhun says:

Oh, that’s an interesting idea. I’ve been trying to think of who my pick would be. I don’t think Alan Rickman, I think it should be someone with a background in subtle comedy.

• nic says:

Jason Isaacs from ‘Peter Pan’ was a great Hook/Mr Darling, very funny. IF he was suitable in a Puddlegum characterisation, it would be a highlight.

• Anhun says:

Hmm . . . I didn’t see Peter Pan. I’ve actually never seen Jason Isaacs in any comedic role. Now that I think about it, Rowan Atkinson could make a good Puddleglum. He can do subtle comedy, not just Mr. Bean.

• nic says:

I had no idea he’s in Harry Potter & well known or anything! just thought he was really good in Peter Pan.

• Pepper Darcy says:

Patrick Stewart for Puddleglum? πŸ˜€ That’s my hope! If they cast him as Johnny Depp, I’d cry… and THEN I could so feel the heartbreak that Glumpuddle felt for DT. SC would just about be ruined for me… oh well.

Patrick Stewart anyone? πŸ™‚

• SavedByGrace says:

Johnny Depp as Puddleglum?! I don’t think I like that idea very much…

• narnian elv says:

Johnny Depp as puddleglum? πŸ™ If they did that I would officially boycott the whole rest of the franchise! It would be AWFUL! I’ve got a rooster named Johnny Depp…and it’s not because I like either one!

Jason Isaacs is an interesting idea…and Brunce Spence definatetly could pull off the Puddleglum look.

• elanor says:

*If* Johnny Depp would be cast as anybody, it should be as Uncle Andrew, the "Magician" in MN.

• Anhun says:

elanor! That’s a fantastic idea! I know Johnny Depp is too young to play the aging magician, but they could always give him make up to age him. I think he could do the mannerisms perfectly.

• Not Of This World says:

We have a rooster too, Narnian Elf, and we named him Russel (don’t think I spelled that right) off of the contestent on Survivor.

Puddleglum is the only Narnia character I have ever had an actor in mind for: Bruce Spence. That’s why I was disapointed that he was cast as Lord Rhoop….

But now I’ve seen the film. You don’t see him that much in VDT. I think you would not recognize him in the Puddleglum makeup.

Just take a look at this picture. He’s perfect: http://www.crookedmick.com/images/Stills/Drover/DroverCU.jpg

• Aslan's Girl says:

OH MY GOODNESS!! He’s so perfect! I started freaking out when I saw his picture on the link… that’s like exactly what Puddleglum should be like! I hope they cast him!! That would be SO COOL! πŸ˜› Do you think they will? Hey, when are yall going to make another podcast? I’ve been checking itunes every day! (no, I don’t have an obsession… why would you think that??)

Further up and further in!

• Anhun says:

I think he looks too serious for the part.

Too serious?? We’re talking about Puddleglum the gloomy Marshwiggle, right? πŸ˜‰

• Anhun says:

He has a comical edge though, not utterly ridiculous like uncle Andrew, but funny in his own offbeat way. Also a lot of his gloom is an affectation.

• Edmund's Queen says:

glumPuddle, you’re a genius! He is so perfect! Oh snap, now if they cast someone else, I’ll probably be disappointed. Can you go find a Rilian now? πŸ™‚

• Bloodlust says:

omg I could not agree more glumpuddle Bruce Spence was precisly who i thought of as Puddleglum

• ChristProclamer says:

Well, finally someone pulled their head out from FanFictionLand and got something right! Brilliant! Come on, people, the two are not the same person, if they were Lewis would have said so. So of course, they oughtn’t to be portrayed by the same person!

Thank you, Mr. Gresham, for confirming that there is still some hope for this series. Just maybe, SC will be a good film, and a good adaptation as well…finally.

• Fiona Everest says:

I am not so sure about this…
    The whole green mist thing kind of annoyed me but…maybe this will work out.
    I liked Tilda in it but she would not be good for that character I think.

• Feather~Light~Heart says:

I vote for a new cast member for the LoGK. Tilda is a great actress, but having her in another movie right after these last three is going to be too much. People were already a little miffed that she was in VDT.

• Bethany says:

If they want to connect the two, they could somehow make the Lady of the Green Kirtle into Jadis’s sister from Charn. I’m sure they could figure out a way to make it possible for an evil witch to come back to life. But they’ve used the White Witch so much that it’s become ridiculous. I don’t know that they could successfully make the SC villain be connected with the LWW villain without making themselves look stupid.

How about Helena Bonham Carter? Perfectly menacing. I think she’d be a great Lady. Or even that girl who plays Victoria in those Twilight movies.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I really think the best way to do it is make them look similar so that the audience knows "Okay this is another witch." Whether they give them a similar hair style or costume detail, I don’t know. HBC would be a good choice as long as she approaches it in a way totally different from her Red Queen performance. I know she has great range as an actress, but I know people would make comparisons to "Alice in Wonderland" if it were in any way, shape or form similar to that.

• Anhun says:

The thing is, you’re not supposed to know she’s a witch right away. But maybe she can have similar styling to the WW when she’s down in Underland.

• elanor says:

For LotGK I could almost see an actress like, for example, Rachel Adams. At first glance, you would never guess she was a witch, but maybe another Ramandu’s daughter… making it worse, because she "seduced" in a sense Rilian, and killed his mother. Most people would probably think someone older, but why not? She’s a witch.

• SavedByGrace says:

ummm…I don’t think that would work. In the Magician’s Nephew, when Jadis speaks the Deplorable Word she "was the only living thing beneath the sun". This gives me the impression that her sister died upon the Word being spoken. If they did make LotGK Jadis’ sister, they’d have to change the plot of Magician’s Nephew. And, personally, I wouldn’t like that. πŸ˜€

• Fireflower says:

GOOD! I was a little worried about that. I’m glad that somebody NEW will be coming into SC!!

• Kevin Gale says:

I say get the group rate!

• Dancinginrain says:

Thank you Mr.Gresham!!!

• QueenSusanJ316 says:

I think Tilda Swinton was awesome as the white witch. She gave me goosebumps. I am glad someone else will probably be the LOTGK, however I think it would be cool if the had like a scene or something where they are like friends or related or something like the book kind of did. If I am way off pardon me as it has been a while since I read that book.

• Anhun says:

You’re right. The book said that there was a connection between the two, but it didn’t go into any details.

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

I looked at Tilda Swinton’s IMDb profile, and says in 2011 she is busy with other projects( which we would assume SC filming would start). I’m REALLY glad she is not LotGK. And if she had been cast, I would boycott all future Narnia films.

• Not Of This World says:

I honesty don’t care who plays LotGK. As long as she wears green, turns into a snake, and dies, I don’t care πŸ™‚

YES!!!!!! TILDA WON’T BE PLAYING THE LADY OF TH GREEN KIRTLE!!!!!!! don’t get me wrong…i love tilda. but as the WW! not as every evil villaness in the narnia series.

• Elyk says:

None of this matters because DT bombed, no way will they finance another one of these movies, unless another studio picks it up.

• Lewis Tolkien says:

Elyk, this is still too early in Voyage of the Dawn Treader’s run to make such pronouncements. It’s been disappointing, but unless you can see into the future, you can’t determine that it’s a bomb at this point.

Just recently today Box Office Mojo updated their VDT page, and the movie made 36% MORE this Monday than it did last Monday. Not only that, but the drop-off from Sunday to Monday wasn’t even very big, which is atypical for movies. This is great news! And it really does show that schoolkids getting off for Christmas break and good word of mouth is really helping the film.

• Anhun says:

That increase the second week is typical for movies that come out in mid-December. It doesn’t mean there’s good word of mouth, it just means more people are available to go to movies during the week. Eragon went through the exact same thing and Golden Compass had a similar bump it’s third week. Both were considered box office bombs.

• Pepper Darcy says:

wow, interesting comments here. I could see how they *could* cast it as Tilda and be safe… just because what if they really thought it was the WW? I honestly and innocently *thought* Jadis was the LotGK… but I can see how it is *not* the LotGK=WW– I’ve read the books for 10 years and thought that Jadis WAS LotGK, so I can see how movie makers could mistake it… and if Lewis cared he’d have to deal with it because he was vauge on it.

But I can see how she isn’t the LoGK at *all*… some of it *almost* depends on how you take ‘some of the same crew’. For me, I assumed: ‘oh! White Witch.’ When I’m now guessing it meant: ‘a witch similar to Jadis.’ See? I reformed, I don’t think Lewis intended them to be the same people, but ya have to admit it was so vauge.

But now that they’ve come out and said ‘Tilda will not play LotGK’ it adds excitement to the movie. Who is the Lady of the Green Kirtle? There will be history to learn about this lady! πŸ™‚ There will be a note of uncertainty for us fans! πŸ™‚

So, I can see both sides, but now that it’s not Jadis, I’m like REALLY pumped for this movie! Which I thought I’d be disappointed, but I’m really excited right now!

I’d love for Patrick Stewart to be cast as Puddleglum though. Fat chance, I think, but wow, can’t you see Patrick Stewart pulling off the Drunk Puddleglum act… the Life isn’t Eel Pie Act and all that?

Glumpuddle, if you read this, know that if they cast Johnny Depp as Puddleglum, I would feel JUST like you did after viewing Dawn Treader… I would so *not* look forward to SC at ALL! But Will Poulter as Eustace has excited me about SC, as it is! πŸ™‚

(ha, ha, I’ve got to be like the only person who thinks Johnny Depp is an absolute dweeb)!

• Pepper Darcy says:

it would be neat if they cast Cate Blanchet as LotGK– Galadriel got the ring, found a wardrobe and thought: ‘Narnia– MINE! Now.. how do I go about taking over this world?’ Though how Galadriel started going around in green and turning herself into a snake is beyond me! πŸ™‚

But again, Cate is probably too old, but she’d be lovely enough. She’d bring an air of elven grace to the badguy and that would be a breath taking touch: it would make it so much easier for Eustace and Jill to give into her. She seems so harmless she *must* be telling the truth! πŸ™‚

• Mayor Wilkins says:

If I can’t have Tilda, than I would love to see Cate Blanchett in the role. πŸ˜‰
        She looks a lot like Tilda. Enough so that they could be "one of the same crew" in appearance, but totally different in methods. Still, no matter what DG says above, I wouldn’t consider that definitive proof that Tilda Swinton will not at all be involved. This is just his opinion. I absolutely love him and respect that opinion, but who knows? In the future, they may "talk it all out" and arrive at some compromise that involves the White Witch. I don’t know. I guess I’m just nervous because I love Tilda but with a new actress, there’s a chance I won’t like her. Know what I mean? Nervous.

• Edmund's Queen says:

LOL Pepper Darcy! Galadriel would give the White Witch a run for her money as far as queenliness goes. I love mixing fantasy films like that! Oh and (this is totally unrelated) your user picture, is that Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon? ‘Cause it really looks like him.

• elanor says:

You’re not the only one. πŸ™‚

• Reepicheeps Archer says:

i wish Narnia was reaL And i could go there

• Not Of This World says:

I think we all wish that!

• Princess Jennifer says:

Yeah !!! We have some woods out back and it has a tunnel out of branches and would you believe it ? We have beavers !!! We also have a huge pond

• Edmund's Queen says:

Yes indeed! Out of Middle Earth, Alagaesia, Bayern, and Narnia, I’d choose Narnia! Well, acutually, I do really like the Shire and Rivendell…

• Princess Jennifer says:

Yeah !! I would pick Narnia too !!! Out of England, Mexico,Narnia, and Switzerland. I would definetly pick Narnia !!

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

Thank goodness!!!

Now, for a LotGK suggestion…who here watches Merlin? I think Katie McGrath (Morgana) would be absolutely perfect for the role πŸ˜€

Anyway, let’s keep praying that SC happens. I have great faith that the numbers for VDT will go up after Christmas Day. I myself have contributed a LOT of money already and have brought friends along…I’m seeing it with another friend tomorrow and possibly with two more on Thursday.

LONG LIVE NARNIA AND ASLAN!

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I think Nicole Kidman could be a good Lady of the Green Kirdle. She could play the beautiful seductive side and the sinister sneaky side.

• Princess Jennifer says:

Yeah, or maybe Anna Popplewell with alot of eye shadow and liner. However, everyone would notice her and it would leave a bad message for Susan. I will keep thinking……Nicole Kidman wasa nice idea !!! A great idea !!!

• Anhun says:

What about Anna Sophia Robb? I think she could pull off the phony-sweet enchanting side of LGK and the Evil side.

Great idea !!!!!

• Anhun says:

I know she’s young, but, hypothetically, if the white witch enticed the emerald witch to eat the apple when she was in her teens, presumably she would stay physically teenaged for all eternity?

• Sierra says:

The Silver Chair will be great. I wonder how Will Poulter will carry the series on his own. He’ll probably be able to do it. It’ll be strange not to have any of the Pevensies and have Eustace be the main character (besides Aslan of course). I really hope they bring Caspian back in the end like they do in the book.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

no nicole- too much botox

• Lady Galadriel says:

Yes! This is very reassuring!

I really hope Silver Chair gets made.

• Ionic Bonding Rocks says:

So how do we ensure Douglas Gresham isn’t overruled? Send thousands of fan letters to all the other producersto let them know what the fans think! Or maybe a huge petition!
    *laughs* Just kidding, but that would be pretty cool!

• Queen Elizabeth says:

LONG LIVE NARNIA AND THE SILVER CHAIR!!!!

• Princess Jennifer says:

Yeah, but I would LOVE to see the horse and his boy, or The magicians nephew get made !!! I think My fav. character is Aravis, the girl in the horse and his boy. I want to be her !!

• Lucylove says:

Yeah , but I really want The Magicians Nephew, and The Horse and His Boy to be a movie. WAY MORE THEN THE SILVER CHAIR AND I DO NOT LIKE THE LAST BATTLE!!!

• Anhun says:

I have to wonder: How old is LGK supposed to be? We don’t know for sure if she’s immortal. If she had a direct connection with the white witch, she would have to be, but if she’s a distant descendant, I’m not sure.

• Princess Jennifer says:

I"m guessing the WW"s age or older.

• Anhun says:

If she’s older or the same age as WW, then she would have to be from yet another world, not Charn or Narnia.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

they should make her younger- another middle age villian is too redundant

• Anhun says:

Okay, I just reread SC, and it says that she is in fact immortal, which means that we can assume that her connection to WW was direct (child or protegΓ©e). It also means that the specific age of the actress is irrelevant, as long as she’s old enough to marry, and young enough to be breathtakingly beautiful (according to Drinian).

• The Thief of Eddis says:

I think that the filmakers will probably overlook The Magicians Nephew, and The Horse and His Boy to focus on The Silver Chair and Last Battle.
    If they decide to continue the series at all.
    I certainly hope they do.
    Good movies like these are hard to come by these days.

• Princess Jennifer says:

For some reason I hope they do NOT do the Last Battle. I think that is a respectful,honorable, book that should be read so that everyones imagination can fly !!

• Lucylove says:

No! they should overlook The Silver Chair and Last Battle! NOT The Magicians Nephew, and The Horse and His Boy.
      I LOVE the Magician’s Nephew!!!

• Anhun says:

I enjoyed reading the Magician’s Nephew, but I don’t want them to make it into a movie. So much of it is psychological and emotional; the characters feelings and impressions as they encounter these new worlds, creatures, and ideas; that I can’t see it translating onto film. I’m afraid that they would have to alter it beyond all recognition in order to turn it into a watchable movie. πŸ™

• Princess Jennifer says:

Yeah, I think you are right.

• elanor says:

To Anhun:

Or it would be brilliant. Don’t you sometimes wish that your imagination could be captured a little easier in real life? It would be thrilling.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i’d LOVE MN AS MOVIE- THE SPECIAL EFFFECTS WOUld be cosmic!

• Lucylove says:

How can you be so sure that she’s not going be in it at all? I think they’ll put her in a scene. But I don’t want Tilda in it because the White Witch is GONE!!! I F.Y.I. I hate the White Witch and the Green Lady, just saying.

• Princess Jennifer says:

Yeah I don"t like her either. She gives me the creeps……Hey, I"m sort of new here and ….I know this sounds corny,but……..Want to be friends on here ?

• Queen Elizabeth says:

1) WILL PEOPLE STOP WRITING SUCH LONG COMMENTS!

2) I really don’t think they will make HHB, since it isn’t in chronological order to the rest of the series πŸ™ even though it is one of my favorite stories.

[lip quivering]

• Princess Jennifer says:

Are you making fun of her ?!!!

• Anhun says:

No, it’s more that, now that they’ve made the Pevensie trilogy, HHB is the only book in the series that I’m chomping at the bit to see.

And for the record, I like long comments.

• Princess Jennifer says:

Sorry!!! I will try not to write long. And truthfully I don"t like long comments either. I think your right about HHB sadly…… What movie, (if you could pick any of them) would you want to make a movie out of. Too bad were not personal friends, otherwise we could make our own movie !! You could be the director and I could be the actor others could help too !!!!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

WILL people STOP being so BOSSY!

• Anhun says:

What if they got Ben Barnes to play Rilian? Maybe restyle him, lighten his hair, give him color contacts so it’s clear he’s a different person. Have some really old guy play Caspian as an old guy.

• Elizabeth says:

I think that HHB should be right after TSC, because in it, the Pevensies are adults ruling Narnia. The actors & actresses who played Narnia will be the right age for their parts. And honestly, who doesn’t want to see Narnia in the Golden Age?

• Princess Jennifer says:

Exactly !! Thank You Queen Elizabeth !! I think I would love to play Aravis but I have freckles all over my face and I have long brown hair. Do you think I would be ok for the part ? Another scary thing is that While galloping, I get lashed in the back !!

• Anhun says:

No, I can’t picture Aravis with freckles. Jill Pole maybe.

• Princess Jennifer says:

Out of all the girls left in Narnia like Polly,Aravis, Jill, ect. Who do you think I would be good as ?

• Edmund's Queen says:

I say Polly.

• Princess Jennifer says:

Thanks Edmond"s Queen !! Who would you like to be ? You sound like a jill, or, I think you sound like Lucy in the Last battle !!

• Edmund's Queen says:

I’m most flattered, Jenn! I have medium length brunette hair and a pointed nose and green/gray/blue eyes (I can never tell which color lol). I’m also on the skinny side. I would love to be Jill, but I would leave Lucy to Georgie. I love Georgie!

• Princess Jennifer says:

You would make a good Jill !!! You would make a good Lucy too !! I am on the skinny side, I have light blue eyes, freckles, and long dark brown hair. I don"t think anyone would pick me as Aravis….do you ?

• Edmund's Queen says:

Umm, sorry, I don’t think so. The Calormenes are supposed to look Middle Eastern-ish I think. But, like I said earlier, you may make a good Polly. πŸ™‚

• Princess Jennifer says:

That"s alright. I don"t think I would make a good Aravis either !! lol !!

• Anhun says:

Don’t forget we also get to see James McAvoy return as the much-beloved Tumnus! There are also a lot of scenes with the Narnians that are left off page in the book that they could include in the movie. They could trim down the parts in the desert and the hermitage to make room. They’re interesting in the book, but, as written, they would be dull in a movie. I mean who wants to watch horses getting fed and rubbed down?

• Princess Jennifer says:

Well, I would !! I LOVE Horses, I think that is why I want to be in that movie. And there is a whole lot of other adventures in the book. Crossing a hot dessert, hiding from the telmarine emperor, and much more !! I think it would be cool !!

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I would prefer "Magician’s Nephew" next.
      But if not, then it should totally be after "The Silver Chair," because I’m tired of waiting for "The Magician’s Nephew." Anyway, Douglas Gresham has said that he prefers making "MN" before "HHB" for ‘personal reasons’ which have never been explained. Looking back on it, maybe they should have made the films in a chronological order…but that’s a debate for another time.

• Princess Jennifer says:

Long Live Narnia !!! Long Live all Narnia Fans !!!

• Dan says:

to be honest, I wouldn’t mind seeing Tilda playing LOTGK and remember…as C.S.Lewis said from the books under Jadis it specifically says "she is completely evil,even in The Silver Chair" it would only make sense that somehow Jadis came back as the LOTGK, it would be interesting in seeing how that would happen. It does not state in the profile Characters in front of the books that this was an evil spirit, She is a Witch and can take form of anything. In my eyes I think they should keep Tilda as the LOTGK, Come on Fox/Walden stay to what the books say and what the Characters profile says.

• Bookwyrm says:

C. S. Lewis had nothing to do with those character profiles. He didn’t write them, he didn’t approve them. They were written by someone at the publishing company here in the States who didn’t know what they were talking about. So no, they aren’t canon and shouldn’t be considered when the film is made. If the film is made.

• Dan says:

True, he did not write those profiles but why would it be in there if it wasn’t true, everything else was accurate.

• Bookwyrm says:

So if the character description said that Jadis & the LotGK were actually Hitler in disguise, you’d take that for Gospel truth just because everything else was accurate? πŸ˜› The person writing the profiles didn’t know what they were talking about. There’s no evidence in the books that they are the same person, Lewis never claimed they were the same, and Gresham has debunked it. But if you think some nameless publisher drone knows better than the stepson of the man who wrote the books, then by all means, believe the profile.

• Dan says:

Well…it seems like Douglas Gresham wants a different person to play LOTGK, but it sounds like the spirit of the white witch is taking over the LOTGK. we’ll see how this plays out.

• Nesselphie says:

would it be weird if Camilla Power (who has played an antagonistic character in Torchwood (Y) ) were to play the Lady of the Green Kirtle? I think she has a great resemblance to Tilda and I think she’d have a great sense of power about her πŸ™‚
    xx

• Anhun says:

Well, she’s in her early 30s, so that’s a good age. She’s quite attractive. And we all know she can act. It would also be a really cool "full circle" kind of thing.

• Big Charlie says:

I am in favor of shooting the Last Battle immediately after the Silver Chair, because of the issue of the ages of the young actors. Keeping C.S. Lewis’s timeline is the most important part of the children’s Narnia experience. When it’s released as the last movie is another issue. You have two more movies to shoot in the meantime. If I had my way, especially if the scripts continue to be faithful to the books, I would film SC, then LB. Then I would choose whether to film MN or HHB last, using the "adult Pevensies" we saw at the end of LWW for the adult Edmund, Susan and and Lucy of HHB. That would seem more logical to me, since in HHB the Pevensies we meet seem to be mature adults, not barely out of their teens. The movies would continue to be released in the order of their publication. As far as who should play the Lady of the Green Kirtle, I would choose an actress who looks like the one who played Ramandu’s daughter, maybe even the same one with a few subtle prosthetic changes or different hair color. It would draw Rilian to her in a profound way.

• elanor says:

Of course we all have our own ideas about what characters should look like, πŸ™‚ but I think we’ve had too many blondes in Narnia. The Pevensies had darker hair, I’ll admit, but Ramandu’s daughter and the WW had light complexions. Besides, blondes do not usually look very good in bright green. πŸ™‚ (I would know…) A dark young (at least in appearance)beauty, I think, would be perfect. Rilian, being the son of Caspian and Ramandu’s daughter, would probably have lighter hair anyway. Contrasts are always nice!

• Big Charlie says:

This would work with a different hair color. Rilian could think he had someone almost like his mother back in his life, and would be drawn in to her evil purposes.

• Andrew says:

Ok peeps, so here’s a few things I’ve got to vent out here. (If you don’t like long, complainy comments that’s on the verge of trollin’….then don’t read this and don’t respond just to point out where I’m wrong :P)

1) Silver chair is the next in the series because that’s the order CS Lewis wrote them in. Yes, it’s not chronologically right (especially since Horse and His Boy and The Magician’s Nephew is after it), but understand that’s how he wrote them before you start complaining about it….and it was smart to do the movies this way so you could use the pevensie children’s actors while they were still the right age….SO STOP SAYING YOU WANT THE LAST BATTLE OR MAGICIANS NEPHEW NEXT. It’s just not right, and it really wouldn’t effect the penvensie children age (except that bit in The horse and his boy…but (Big Charlie) they used adult actors for the end of LWW, so they can use them again there.

2) I absolutely LOVED Tilda in LLW, but she can’t come back…it’s not the same witch. But I don’t think the person to play LOTGK should be popular like Natalie Portman or Nicole Kidman like some of you have suggested. I don’t know who should play her, but get someone new so we don’t associate with the actress and actually associate with the character.

3) They have to change some things in the book to make it into a movie…I know the whole blue swords/green mist stuff was a little far. But it was either that or the movie ending with them finding the men asleep at the table. Plus the VOTDT is just a bunch of mini adventures, so they added the blue sward ‘plot’ to have at least a little bit of purpose…I;m not saying I agree with it and it definitely could have been better, but it’s how it is so grow up and get used to it.

The main thing is number 1….stop trying to change the order you idiots! The people doing this have WAY more experience and knowledge about these things, just be happy they’re keeping the series alive after the VOTDT.

• Anhun says:

If you don’t want people to respond to you, go make your own website. Anyway, enjoyed reading your commentary and here’s my response, so there!

1. You’re actually talking about the publication order, not the written order. After Lewis wrote the Pevensie trilogy he wrote HHB, then SC, then LB, then MN. However, I agree that, if they decide to do the whole series, they should do SC next (otherwise Will P. will be old enough to play Trumpkin by the time they get around to it), and LB should be last. I don’t think it makes a material difference whether they make HHB before or after MN. C.S. Lewis himself would tell you that he wrote these books one or two at a time, not with some grand long-term plan.

2. I agree Tilda should come back. I can see what you’re saying about having a big-name star play LGK, but I still think it would help the series to have someone who’s on the radar, even if they’re not super-famous.

3. Totally agree.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

don’t worry, the majority of us enjoy long, intelligent , well thought out entries

• The White Wizard says:

What is this evil spirit inhabiting "a new, young body" as Douglas puts it?

• Bloodlust says:

Lucy Lawless as Lady of the Green Kirtle πŸ™‚

• KingSkandartheJust says:

As much as a love Tilda, I think this is great. We need a new source of evil. After seeing the White Witch so much in the last films we should get a new face to Narnian evil.

• Diggory Kirke/Prince Rilian says:

I agree. The white witch was in the series a lot. SO people would expect her to be back. But the Lady of the Green Kirtle is smart to be someone other than tilda because Tilda portrays the white witch.

• MousieMoo says:

Isin’t the Lady of the Green Kirtle meant to be the white witches sister? Correct me if I’m wrong.

• Anhun says:

No, the White Witch killed her sister, and all others of her race, before Narnia was even created. The Lady of the Green Kirtle might be the White Witch’s daughter, born in Narnia, but it’s never spelled out exactly what their relationship is.

• AsbelMcTalisker says:

Part of the problem is that `The Silver Chair` itself suggests that she `is one of the same crew` and that there must be a number of witches in the north, of which `The White Witch` and `The Green Witch` are both members.
        `The Magicians Nephew` however, gives `Jadis, The White Witch` a unique, Non-Narnian origin and suggests that she achieves a sort of immortality at the end. This has resulted in some readers interpreting some comments by Prince Rilian in SC as evidence that both characters are different incarnations of the same person.

• Seiko says:

I think there is a lot of directions they can go with "lady of the green kirtle." There is the idea of it being The White Witch ressurected. It is not her sister as she takes out her sister in "The Magican’s Nephew." The idea of it being her daughter could work, but I think they will go with The White Witch being ressurected in a new body. It could still be someone else she posesses or has taken over. In any case, we should all look very foward to The Silver Chair.
    Though The Magican’s Nephew sounds appealing too, I doubt they’d skip over what they built up in Voyage, that and not giving the actors who play Eustace and Jill the opportunity to reprise their roles.
    Dawn Threader has made over 366.5 mil now, so not seeing another sounds very unlikely. Getting through all 7 sounds grim, but 1 more is probably pretty guaranteed at this point.