Confirmed: Walden is Talking With Fox About Making The Magician’s Nephew

Posted February 27, 2011 10:19 pm by Tirian

Dekkie attended NRB’s Sunday Super Session in Nashville today and has posted the following report which confirms that Walden is leaning toward making The Magician’s Nephew next.

Michael Flaherty just confirmed that Walden was talking with Fox about the Magician’s Nephew.

I just got back from attending NRB’s Sunday Super Session in Nashville, TN, where Flaherty and Simon Swart from Fox spoke about “Connecting with Audiences in an Age of Distraction.” And Narnia, of course. A few noteworthy tidbits:

When asked by Phil Cooke of Cooke Pictures and host of this session if Walden would make any more Narnia movies, Flaherty responded, without hesitation: “Yes. We are talking to Fox about making the Magician’s Nephew next.” The audience clapped. He then mentioned that there was some debate about whether SC or MN should be next, and asked the audience to clap for their favorite. A few (including myself, loudly) clapped for SC, but the majority cheered for MN.

Flaherty also referred to Gresham as “the CS Lewis Cop,” and talked about when the production team would wonder what Lewis thought of something, Gresham would say something like about how once he was having dinner with Jack and he said that if there ever was a movie made it would have to include such and such. Flaherty, laughingly, added that he wondered how many of those stories actually happened.

Phil Cooke talked about the time he was at the first screening of the VDT trailer, 20 minutes after the trailer was shown, he received a notification on his phone from Google about all these Narnia sites having detailed reports about the trailer. “These people are crazy.” I laughed – because we are.

Flaherty gave a “huge, heartfelt thankΒ  you” to the audience for their support of the film, saying that many thought the franchise was “dead” after PC. He seemed pleased and not worried that VDT made “only” $100 million domestically.

Swart also talked about how excited Fox was to be able to pick up the franchise: “We get a shot at Narnia?” and saying that they “jumped in with both feet in.”

Thanks to Dekkie for the report!

• Lady Galadriel says:

Is this a greenlight or is that now likely to be coming soon?

• wolfloversk says:

I’m guessing it’s a likely to be coming soon due to the comment that they were still debating which one next.

• Aslan30 says:

It sounds like it "might" be a green light but although they are still talking it over. No worries! I have a good feeling about this one, They would be stupid not to do this one next just because "Voyage" did really bad in the box office, I thought "Voyage" was a great movie but audiences are going to be more interested in on how Narnia began and the background on Professor Kirke and Jadis, Just hope they get Tilda again to play Jadis in which it would only make sense.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Tilda Swinton IS Jadis.
        She embodies Jadis so very well.

• Anhun says:

I don’t think general audiences have an automatic interest in anything associated with Narnia. Some industry commentators have pointed out that the Narnia franchise has become synonymous with desperate attempts to milk the success of LWW. MN will just look like more of the same.

No, I don’t think it’s a green-light. I think this just means that IF they make another Narnia film, it will be MN.

• wolfloversk says:

that’s IF they don’t make two at once πŸ˜‰ (Unlikely perhaps, but I still say its the only way it’ll work)

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

Right. In order for it to be greenlit, FOX must also give the go!

• Anhun says:

I disagree. When Cooke asked if there would be any more Narnia films, Flaherty said "Yes" not "hopefully" or "maybe." That suggests that the only hold up on the official green-lighting and pre-production process is the decision of which film to make.

• Musgrave says:

This is good and bad news for me. I was really hoping for SC next because of Eustace and the order C.S. Lewis wrote them in but this is deffinately better than nothing. I should be grateful for what I’ve got. After all, its my second favorite book and the most mysterious plotline of the entire series. Now if they can only make the script acurate to the book…

• Anhun says:

Actually, Lewis wrote HHB before he wrote SC. There’s nothing sacred about the order of the books, he wrote most of them one at a time. They only need to consider the audience’s need for back story. LB has to be last, but, the other three remaining books can be filmed in any order.

I feel the same way, Musgrave. I’m thankful we might get any movie at all, and I love The Magician’s Nephew, but it will break off the continuity and we could lose Will Poulter. πŸ™ Silver Chair could be great movie if they didn’t mess it up. I was really looking forward to Puddleglum too. πŸ™ At the same time, I just finished reading MN (for the hundredth time) and I would be thrilled if it was made into a movie–though only if it was done right. Ideally I think they should make SC next, and start filming MN right after it (or at the same time as SC) so we won’t have to wait so long. But I know that won’t happen. Right now I’m torn–I want SC next, but MN is so good and could help the series. I guess I have to just be glad for what we have–there could be no new movie at all.

• JackBaillot says:

WOOHOO!!!!! I think. I hope this means they are making it for sure 8-D

• SirCC says:

This is bitter sweet…I am overly grateful, yet unless they make SC at the same time or right (very right) after, then it will probably not be made. Especially since SC is the first book I read out of the series…and the first book I ever read. But, non the less, it is good news. It will be interesting to see how they handle the creation of Narnia…hopefully they will be faithful to Jack (Lewis).

• Skilletdude says:

Interesting…

• Eliseo says:

Yay Magicians Nephew next; but I’ll hesitate to jump up and down until it’s been officially green lit.

• Arvan says:

I can’t believe it, but I’m actually mad right now. Like, REALLY mad. I can’t believe they’re even considering doing The Magician’s Nephew! It’s confusing, a lame marketing ploy. That and Will Poulter (who’s already a bit too old, I think) will be an adult by the time they get to SC, if they get that far. I’m seriously losing my faith in Walden Media…

• samuel says:

Don’t get too mad, as in don’t get mad enough that IF they do make that story next you won’t go to the theater. After all he did say β€œWe get a shot at Narnia?” and saying that they β€œjumped in with both feet in.” That sounds like they’re still pretty excited at doing the whole series. Marketing, a different story order, might be what’s needed to keep the non-book fans coming back for more, coming back for me=money, money=budget for next movie. You have to remember that with traditional "trilogies" it’s often intensely hard to make the third movie successful, I can’t imagine how hard it will be to make the 5, 6, and 7 movies successful, especially out of a non-continuous storyline, unlike harry potter, which is a recent book series that is extremely popular, fresh in peoples minds, and always leaves you wondering "what’s going to happen in the next movie?" or "how will this storyline finish?"

• Arvan says:

Oh, I’m mad all right. I will go see whatever comes out. Once. And you should know that by doing this they ruin SC. Will Poulter will be in his twenties by the time they film that movie. Not happening.

• Edison says:

Who cares about the Will Poulter’s age, look at Ben Barnes as Caspian is waaaay older and he was still good. I don’t care what’s the next movie i just want to see more Narnia’s movies been made <3

• sachin says:

GOOD THAT THEY ARE MAKING MAGICIANS NEPHEW BECAUSE ASLAN HAS MORE ROLE IN IT.

• waggawerewolf27 says:

I am glad that Magician’s Nephew is to be made, disappointed that SC is being put on hold yet again, and yes, worried about it never being made. At least Magician’s Nephew has the advantage of never having been made beforehand.

• Edson07bs says:

I haven’t been this exited about the movies in a long time!
    This is so amazing, I love tat book.

• Katie Hart says:

Yet another chance for the White Witch to make it onto a Narnia movie poster! I would prefer SC next, but any more Narnia is good news to me!

• stateofgreen says:

I don’t think I’ll believe anything until they give an official once and for all announcement. I’m just sad Will won’t be playing Eustace as soon as I’d hoped. I have a bad feeling about the future movies.

• Princess Lucy says:

wow its a nice book as any others in the series…but I am just worried that they would end it there as LWW,VDT and MN are the 3 favourites of the narnia series…i heard it from Andrew Adamson…but this is great news…whoho another excitement for another narnia film πŸ™‚

• ~DaughterOfEve~ says:

WOW! This is exciting that the franchise will continue but why MN and not SC? Is this because they want to replace Will Poulter? It screws up the ages but then again it could help blow over the mess up with VDT. Most likely they want to keep the WW story going as long as possible. Oh well. I am super excited.

• Avalona says:

At least another film may be made. Slightly off topic but I’m sure I read on a timeline that by the time of LB Eustace and Jill were supposed to be 16, a lot older than they were in SC. Plus considering how Ben Barnes was definitely a lot older than his character was supposed to be and given a certain tradition in films in general for casting actors older than their characters are supposed to be; I don’t see any problem with Will playing Eustace in a the SC and LB, fingers crossed they’ll make them too.

• stateofgreen says:

I don’t see how they could make SC will Will still if they make MN first. Will will still look too old in 4 years for SC (this is assuming they’re not going to greenlight MN and SC at the same time). I wonder if they do make SC later and replace Will but then bring Will back later (if they even get as far as Last Battle, then maybe we will see him again). I hope all of this MN stuff is untrue!

• Princess Lucy says:

heyy i know wat u mean but i dnt think replacing will poulter is such a good idea…he is much too praised to be eustrace….i’d rather have him older than eustrace age in SC than another actor replacing him…who agrees ????…and hmm what do you guys think of maybe having eustrace and jill as love interests…will afterall they are classmates…but who knows wat will happen πŸ™‚

• Rhys says:

Ben Barnes was in his twenties in PC, I believe.

• lysander says:

If they replace Poulter for one film, they’ll replace him for both of them. Using him in LB but not SC would be incredibly dumb.

• stateofgreen says:

I don’t really want him replaced at all. Well if they don’t make Silver Chair in the next 4 years then he really would look too old …I would say his cutoff for dressing him down to look old enough for SC would be 22…hard to tell what he’ll look like then, in which case he’d be better suited to be the Eustace of Last Battle instead of Eustace of Silver Chair. And it’s strange for me to say this, but if they find a suitable actor of believable age to make the Silver Chair and then still have WP as Eustace later it would be okay with me. Though honestly I don’t think he should be replaced at all.

I’m so upset though that had not Disney pulled out and they were faster about getting the movies out, we possibly would have had VDT made earlier and SC in 2010 and the age problem would not be an issue. The Disney fiasco made WP wait a whole year to even start in the role.

• stateofgreen says:

Correction to previous post: I meant dressing him down to make him look "young enough"….

• Reepicheep says:

This is actually somewhat exciting because Magician’s Nephew has never been adapted for any medium. Possibly the biggest risk for the series; they had better make it faithful because us fans are going to get extremely annoyed if they don’t.

• ilovefauns says:

that means they would have to replace eutace…….

• Guamnarniafreak says:

I don’t really care which movie they make next.I’m just glad they’re still continuing the series!

• Thyservant says:

Very grateful indeed. BTW, is it the first time for a film (not animated) to have creation scenes? And I don’t think Will’s age is a problem. In SC film, I can accept an Eustace as old as the Peter in PC film. It worked and it’ll work, I suppose.

• samuel says:

I can’t remember the movie, but no it’s not the first time creation would be depicted in film, I think it was in one of the old cecil b demil type movies… Also 2001 Space Odyssey had their own evolution scene…

• Fjosman says:

Perhaps they are trying to make Narnia even more a "christian" franchise? It would involve some sort of creation, and more Aslan (yey!!) and maybe they want to get more audience from the christian demographic in US to see it? Who knows… πŸ™‚

• Queen C The Gentle says:

• sataravis says:

Aw, I want SC next!
    But I’ll take what I can get.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

Definitely mixed feelings. I think it has such wonderful potential to be an absolutely beautiful, moving film. But, at the same time, this reeks of sheer desperation, and to use a very appropriate analogy, I wonder if they’re picking this fruit before it’s ripe. It just feels… inappropriate… to be expecting it right now.

As for those rejoicing at the thought of increased Aslan content, remember: if they COULD have used Aslan more at this point, they surely WOULD have. What limits his screen time more than anything is money. Mr. Gresham has repeatedly stated as much. I really hope they can economize anywhere else necessary, to avoid compromising Aslan’s presence in this film. If it is, indeed, time to gamble, they better go "all in".

Boy, I love this book. It’s playful, moving, fun, exciting, and it ties everything together in such a wonderfully organic fashion. I don’t want to see it ‘Dawn Treader’ized with another "Aptedation". πŸ™

• The Inscrutable Rutabaga says:

I didn’t know that was why Aslan appears only rarely, but it makes sense. Better to have only a few scenes with Aslan if they’re extraordinarily well done, than several with poor animation. I love MN, I’m so excited at the prospect of actually seeing it. I rather thought the movies would quit being made before ever they got to it.

• Niamh says:

okay-auditioning for polly plummer instead of jill pole!

• Eponine says:

Meh. I likely won’t bother with this one. MN is my least favourite book and I have no interest in paying a small fortune to see it in theatres. I think that if they planned on making another movie after this, they would have tried to make SC next. I think they are planning for this to be the last movie. I hope I’m wrong, but it just has that kind of a feel to me.

• Anhun says:

[Sighs] I’m with you (at least partly) on this. I’m not going to see MN in theaters. Maybe I’ll rent it out of curiosity, but even that’s unlikely. Though my reasons are different from yours.

I actually liked the book. The thing is, I can’t see how they can do it any kind of justice on film, from a cinematic or adaptive perspective. One of two things is likely to happen:

1. They completely overhaul the story to make it more cinematic and accessible to a wide range of audiences who haven’t read the book. The thing is, that still won’t make a decent movie, because the natural weirdness of the source material is bound to shine through. The whole thing will seem schizoid and confused.

2. They treat the material with a 2-dimensional, pseudofidelity similar to the BBC version of VDT. A verbatim retelling of the book’s action, but with none of it’s depth or richness. This will make for an extremely dull movie, which may still manage to appeal to some fans of the book, but no one else, and certainly not me.

• Anhun says:

I don’t think they’re deliberately planning on making this the last. I think they hope that, just because MN has Jadis, and a direct chronological connection to LWW, it will automatically be a hit.

• DigoryKirkeofPhil says:

its so wrong! i want silver chair to be first! the chronicles must follow the corect order. though i love the magician’s nephew, i want it to be the 6th installment and silver chair to be the 4th

• Anhun says:

Well, if I’m interpreting this correctly, we now have a yellow light. They’re definitely making another Narnia film, but they can’t move forward with pre-production because they haven’t decided which film. I have to say this is good news on two counts: the film series is not dead, and SC isn’t completely out of the running for the next film! πŸ™‚

• Timo says:

That’s good news! I’d love to see MN next… It’s all fine for me, as long as they make HHB!!

• Brisa says:

Though I love, MN, SC really needs to be made next Do they think they can magically stop Will Poulter’s growth or something? :p
    Plus, I really wanted to see him again. I didn’t enjoy quite all off VTD, but I loved every scene with him in it.

• wolfloversk says:

I wonder if we could make a contract with the production peoples not to drop Will P.

• stateofgreen says:

@wolfloversk — Contract or contact? If maybe we write Michael Flaherty and tell him seriously don’t recast Will P. Don’t know if that will help at all.

Corporate Headquarters
      Walden Media
      1888 Century Park East, 14th Floor
      Los Angeles, CA 90067

• faunforaslan says:

Yay! So we have confirmation about another Narnia movie! I don’t really see why people are all ticked off about MN being made next instead of SC. Will’s growth will not be a problem. Take Lord of the Rings for example. All the actors are tall but they were able to look short like Hobbits are supposed to be by using different camera angles. And with regards to his face and such, look at him in VoDT and in real life. Look how much younger he looks in the movie. There is a little thing called prosthetics, people. if they do those two things, we have nothing to worry about.

• DanielmyBrother says:

I would have like to see the Silver Chair next, but I can live with the Magician’s Nephew. As for Will Poulter they have make-up in Hollywood. He’ll be fine.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

*almost passes out* WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sure, i want another movie, but this is crazy. no Will Poultler for, like, another 4 years? i hope they know what they’re doing. this is just insane, Ben Barnes is gonna be in his 40s by the time they get to SC, but that’s not the worst part, since they might need an actor for "old" Caspian.
    *deep breath* Well, at least we know Narnia still has a future, and if making MN is going to make the future even brighter, then i guess i can deal with it. still, it’s a pretty huge shock….

• Arvan says:

They don’t know what they’re doing!

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

you don’t know that for sure, Arvan. maybe the chose MN b/c they thought it would be a better story to make a movie. SC isn’t my favorite book in the series, and the only reason i REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAALY wanted it to be made was b/c of Will Poultler. who knows? maybe they’ll go back to SC, but either way, i want a movie, so i’ll take what i can get. don’t get me wrong, i’m just as mad as you are, but still, i want the series to be continued, even if it means making MN next. πŸ˜›

• Arvan says:

SC is my least favorite in the series, but for heaven’s sake! This makes no sense!

• Dustfinger says:

what????????????????????????????????????????????
    if they wait, Will Poulter will be too old!
    remember, they almost made HHB after LWW but didn’t because the kids were getting older. so they did PC. they should do SC!
    oh please do SC!

• Narniadreamer says:

Oh, exciting! I cannot wait to see if they will actually film MN before SC… it would be interesting…

• Delpheas says:

I think this ia good idea for a few reasons:

1. It concludes(and introduces) the Jadis story, and would allow them to show audience that the next film’s villian isn’t Jadis.
    2. They can give Emerald Lady back story.

I think they should do MN then SC, then HHB followed by TLB. because HHB introduces the audience to the Calormen, their culture and religion, in preparation for the epic finale.

alright, this sounds nice, but im worried about William as Eustace. what if he gets too old to do Eustace in Silver Chair? i would be devestated if they got a new Eustace. they just cant do that. if Magician’s Nephew is made next, Silver Chair should be greenlit ASAP. they must must must keep Will Poulter. no exceptions

• Not Of This World says:

I think all Narnia fan websites should have polls on which movie they want (MN or SC) and they can see what the fans want.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I have prayed and hoped for "Magician’s Nephew" since I saw "LWW." πŸ˜‰
    Tilda Swinton MUST play Jadis in this. If not, I would be devastated.

• samuel says:

well they figured out how to get tilda in every movie after LWW, so I don’t think you have much to worry about… *insert sarcasm* unless they get a younger actress to play the WW and then right in the middle of the movie they have a time portal open up, where tilda the older white witch visits her younger self in about a 30 second vision! *end sarcasm* LOL

• Twinimage says:

Boo! They should do SC and that way giving Walden and Fox the liberty to do whatever story they want to do next.

However, I think MN could be a good and bad thing.

The good: It’s a unique story, and it’s Fox and Walden’s chance to use more Marketing strategies that keep reminding audiences of LWW and Tilda Swinton. Maybe this will get the White Witch out of their systems once and for all!

The bad: Not much action in the story. I realize they’ve tried to get away from the whole "epic battle movie" label, but they still have failed to do that. Whatever movie is next they NEED and MUST make the next movie a slower paced adventure film that focuses on the characters. Most of the stories they yet have to make aren’t going to have much action in them, so they shouldn’t rely of big epic climaxes to keep this series alive.

• Temlakos says:

"Not much action"? Are you kidding? Who can forget the final collapse of Charn, the Battle of Colmey Hatch (the fight at the lamppost), and Fledge’s Flight? Why, they might even reproduce the Utterance of the Deplorable Word, a thing you didn’t get to see in the book. And how about the Narnia creation story? That alone is worth the price of admission.

• Twinimage says:

You have a point, however, as history has shown us in the past films, the majority of those things most likely won’t be focused on. When I say action, I mean fighting scenes and battles that get an audience adrenaline pumping.
        The moments when they SHOULD slow down and let us all take in certain wonderful scenes they usually cheap change us and include it in there as merely a brief Easter egg.
        All those scenes where there is very tame "action" is brief. Filmmakers will consider that stuff hardly enough content to sustain an audience’s attention.
        Look at VDT for instance. There is plenty of exciting scenes in the book to make it a great film. But they decided to add a big epic battle near the end. That’s wrong.

My only point about little action wasn’t that I thought MN couldn’t make a good movie. The point I was trying to make was that the filmmakers could really flub up this film like VDT for the same reasons.

• ajSilver X says:

Oh… I think this news means that "The Magician’s Nephew" will hit the theaters very soon! But I hope they finalize this as soon as they can so that they can finish the movie earlier and made it to cinemas in an earlier date. And we know that J.R.R.Tolkien’s "The Hobbit" will soon hit the theaters. Hope that they can make "The Magician’s Nephew" better than the preceeded "Narnia" films. And they can find a better director. C.S. Lewis’ "The Chronicles of Narnia is epic in books and they can make it too in the cinemas.

• Rob W. Case says:

This is great news. I think the success of this next film will carry within it a deep interest, curiosity, and boldness that will generate the sales needed to do more Narnia stories in the future. I think this is a very smart strategic move. After all, they can incorporate The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe into their marketing campaign. I can see it now…..

Before the Lion, Before the Witch, Before the Wardrobe, came the Genesis of Narnia.

Sounds pretty exciting. And since this story is most connected to the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, very good sales would be anticipated due to the LWW’s success.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

You’re right. πŸ˜‰
      Trailer Text: Before the Lion
      *The iconic shot of Aslan between the Stone Table’s pillars*
      Trailer Text: Before The Witch
      *Tilda pulling up in her chariot*
      Trailer Text: Before the Wardrobe
      *Lucy pulling the cover off the wardrobe*
      Trailer Text: There was the Creation of Narnia
      *New movie footage begins*

I can’t wait. I would just LOVE to see that Narnia Logo roll up onto the screen! πŸ˜€

Announcer: "The Chronicles of Narnia. The Magician’s Nephew."

Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it! πŸ˜€

• QueenLucytheValient says:

Well, I used to be totally against the idea of MN being made next, but I don’t know anymore, I did like that one a WHOLE lot better than SC. I will be happy if they really do go through with MN!!!!

• Matthias of Redwall says:

I still wish they were making SC next, although I am very relieved that they are going to keep making the movies. I just hope they don’t mess up the story line like they did PC and VDT.

• Queen_Emilie says:

THANK GOD!
    that’s all i can say

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Cheers!
      Walden Media and co. certainly seem to have retained their passion for the films. πŸ˜€

• Queen Su says:

I am glad they are considering another film…however I think SC would do better in theaters than MN. (I would prefer they make the SC next anyway.) I guess we will have to leave that up to Fox and Walden to decide.

• Sitheis says:

I’m very pleaseed that they are making MN, but I personally think SC would be the best one to make next, because A they should use Eustace while he’s still young and B because that would really b a good next one after the SC. I think they should maybe do SC & the MN & then HAHB & then LB. I do think LB’s important to be last.

• Temlakos says:

They had a problem: if they make SC next, and then wait two more films to make LB, then you cannot use the same actor to play Eustace in both films. (Remember, Eustace and Jill age only a year between SC and LB.) Besides which, they absolutely *must* use Tilda Swinton as Jadis, while they can easily hire another actress to play the Lady in Green in SC. All things considered, making MN now and SC later makes sense.

But I dare them to make HHB. I double-dare them. Can’t you see the protests from CAIR and the Muslim Brotherhood?

• Anhun says:

Actually you’re wrong about the timeline; the books in the Pevensie trilogy are a year apart. The rest of them are not. SC is supposed to take place a couple months after VDT, and LB takes place *7 years* after SC. Will Poulter, or whoever plays Eustace in SC, can age a lot between SC and and LB, and it’ll be perfectly fine.

• Pepper Darcy says:

I’m SUPER excited and all… but I’m really confuesed… you’ve got the PERFECT Eustace (I’m such a Will Poulter fan as Eustace πŸ™‚ so why do MN? You just lose all the momentum you had in connecting stories with characters. That’s why HP is so stinkin’ good. Everyone loves the characters and it’s all a continuing story about Harry trying to beat Voldemort… but… Narnia has the weakness of not a continuing story and continuing characters in EVERY story… and they built up excitment for Eustace and had the oppertunity to do SC… and now… they’re switching…

Don’t take me wrong, I’ll take ANY Narnia movie I can get… but it doesn’t make sense, and I was sooo looking forward to Silver Chair… it doesn’t make sense at all… it’s not their fault, I mean, Lewis didn’t use the same characters and made it hard to adapt as a movie series…

I wanted Will Poulter as Eustace SO bad… he’s so PERFECT for the role…

Oh well, I’ve got my Darling Dragon Slayers, Guardians, and the Unbroken Thread… don’t forget Killer Muggles at Moghldor, so… *sigh* oh well… but MN IS a fav. I just wanted SC so bad. And… maybe this will be one where Aslan is SO involved unlike PC etc.

• Hurley says:

I don’t have a problem with The Magician’s Nephew being made before The Silver Chair. I think it would be perfectly acceptable to have a high school-aged Eustace for The Silver Chair. He’d probably look about like how Peter looked in Prince Caspian. And like others have said, they played around with Caspian’s age and that turned out fine. I see no problems. I think The Magician’s Nephew has much better marketing potential regardless, especially if Tilda Swinton is back as Jadis (I don’t see why she wouldn’t be, they’ve shoehorned her into the last two).

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

OMW when are the auditions????? LOL! πŸ˜€

• David says:

This is a fail. Tilda Swinton will continue to be white witch material for a while, but Will Poulter is going to grow up and stop looking like Eustace did. Not that much time elapsed between Voyage and Silver Chair, so I don’t see this working out just fine by making the Silver Chair wait.

• Shastafan says:

I am feeling… very puzzled by this. I don’t worry about Will Poulter’s age right now (after all, what use would it be to replace him even if he was over age?), but there are so many other reasons why it makes more sense for SC to be made first instead of MN. Don’t get me wrong, I love MN a lot. But I wish they would finish the old territory (which is the books that have already been made into films: LWW, PC, VDT, SC) before heading on into new territory (films that haven’t been adapted into films yet: MN, HHB, LB).

• Bethany Weathers says:

I’m taking this as good news, even if it’s not confirmed good news. Here’s to hoping we will get a green light soon!

• Alambil says:

What was the point of adding in all that β€œgreen mist” phooey if the plot wasn’t going to lead in to the story of the Lady of the Green Kirtle??

And, if I remember correctly, SC is a few months after VDT, while LB is a few YEARS after SC. Which means that Eustace needs to look still pretty young in SC, but he can age more for LB…. does ANYONE ELSE see the logic?

I guess I can’t complain too much… at least the franchise is continuing. And if it brings more people the joy of the Narnia series, then…. *sigh* I guess the order doesn’t matter. As much. Further up, further in!

• Jeanette says:

So I guess I’m the only one who thinks they shd quit before they screw up any more movies. I’m not a purist: I had no problem with the differences between the LotR books and movies because they preserved the spirit of the books.
    LWW was fairly decent in maintaining the spirit of the book; PC less so, but the changes were understandable. VDD was a travesty.
    Because of the steady decline in quality of Narnia movies, I really hate to see any more of Lewis’s stories ruined.

• commonlogic says:

For us fans of Narnia it’s understandable we might prefer SC first, but I think interest must be re-kindled with those who know little of Narnia or who are only familiar with LWW. Box office numbers are important for more Narnia films to be made and it might be difficult to re-kindle interest on the back of VDT (though I personally liked it very much). What better way to re-kindle interest than with MN which is tied closely to LWW; having the professor, the white witch, the origin of the wardrobe and other "things". I don’t recall his name, but I hope they can get the same actor who did the professor, who I thought was excellent. If done right, just think of the promotion they can do tying it with LWW the most well known of the books and movies. I think it could create a huge amount of interest in seeing it and provide a bouncing board for other movies in the series. As far as Will Poulter being older when SC comes around; film makers have many ways to make an actor look younger. It is an issue but it’s not insurmountable.

• stateofgreen says:

The actor who played the professor was Jim Broadbent. And there is a cutoff physically to how far one can go to make an older actor look younger….they take so long to make these movies who can be really sure that makeup, prosthetics, and costuming can make a 24 year old look 16.

• commonlogic says:

I guess Will is 18 now. It’s not unreasonable to think that they could start filming SC in 4 or so; perhaps even sooner given the issue at hand. That would make him 22 or so. Many 16 year olds get close to their adult height and many have plenty of facial hair (I had a full beard by 16). We aren’t talking about making a 22-23 year old into a 10 to 12 year old or a 30+ year old into a 16 year old. To make a 22-23 year old look 16 is faily easy given all the various "techniques" they have these days.

• Bookwyrm says:

So basically they screwed up the plot of VDT to set up SC, then decided they don’t feel like making SC right now after all. Thanks a lot, Walden. Can’t wait to see how they shoehorn in EPIC battle scenes all while de-emphasizing Aslan’s deity status.

• lady polly says:

i agree,i mean the magician’s nephew is my favorite,but i would like them to do it the way c.s.lewis wrote them.

• Pepper Darcy says:

yeah, sorta what I thought too… set up for SC and doing MN?! I’m excited to see a Narnia… I’ll take what I can get… but I’m not going to quote Harry and shout: ‘FANTASTIC!’ *blinks in confusion* Ooooooh…. well…. I’ve got Harry books to read… I can live without a silver chair movie… *drags off slowly*

• WarriorOfNarnia says:

oh brother. Will Poulter will be ancient by the time Silver Chair is made.

• freya says:

Oh no, I was hoping somebody would come to their senses, surprise everybody and make HHB next. Okay, wishful thinking, because it’s my second favourite of the books (after LWW), and the last book I really have any interest in seeing made into a movie. At least it’s good that they’re not giving up on the franchise.

• Moonwood says:

Gee, don’t get too excited…

• freya says:

To quote Reepicheep in PC: "is that supposed to be irony?" That being said, for the fans’ sake I’m hoping they continue with the franchise, regardless which book they choose to adapt next. HHB being the only interesting left is just my personal opinion of course.

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

At first, I wanted Silver Chair to be made next, but now that I think of it, I’m glad there are doing Magician’s Nephew next: because if they do it after Silver Chair, people will probably forget about how in the 1rst movie, we learn that the professor went to Narnia before. And Will won’t be too much older. Skandar was a lot older in Prince Caspian and he didn’t look bad. I’m SOOOOO relieved that there will be another Narnia movie!!!!!!!!!!

• Lucia says:

I just hope they won’t skip HHB!!!
      if they make it,i want2 act Aravis(i am asian 4sure**)

• WarriorMaiden says:

Well, I would have liked to see SC next, especially since Will’s going to get a lot older in that interval if they go with MN first. He was so funny. I was really looking forward to seeing a whole movie featuring him. Still, I’m sure MN will be good too. After all, they do need to strategic, and MN would make for a good connection back to LWW which made them the most money. Still…..

• Quinlin says:

As wonderful it is to hear that there are at least speculations that MN may be the next film to be adapted into a film, I am greatly concerned that they are making quite a mistake in regards to the possibilities of ever seeing the makings for the final 4 books. Most movie goers, who are not passionate or faithful followers of the stories, will have a difficult time understanding a ‘prequel’ as you may call it, after several films chronologically following the release of LWW have already been released. If MN were to be greenlit and eventually adapted, I truly believe that the series will come to an end with MN, as then returning once more to a future Narnia, with different characters, ages ahead of what just happened in MN, and also with several entangling plots will have everyone confused and therefore dropping interest with the films entirely. Plus, there is also the downside that obviously the cast will have to be different…i.e. Will Poulter will no longer be able to reprise his role as Eustace in SC, as he will then be too old for the role. If, despite the now slim chance, they should chose to create SC, then there would be a somewhat more positive outlook for at least one or even two others to be finally made before ending the series. Regardless, of course, the future of the Narnia films does lie in how much success they earn in the box office, but I find myself seeing MN to be the last of the Chronicles adapted, should they go that route.

• Lucylove says:

Yes! Finally they came to their senses and are making MN it’s my favorite book. I hope that Will won’t be too old for SC when they make it though.

• wild rose says:

No, I can’t belive this, Magician’s Nephew!!!!!!!?????? Why, I was so looking forward to Silver Chair, *sighs* why are they messing everything up, MN is the 6th book, I thought they were making the movies according to the way C.S Lewis wrote them πŸ™ By the time they get around to making Silver Chair Will Poulter will be waaaaaaay to old……….I’m so dissapointed :(((( this is such sad news for me πŸ™

• Narnia4Eves says:

I don’t think Will Poulter’s age will be a problem because look at Ben Barnes, He was a thirty year old playing a seventeen year old in the first movie. So there isn’t much to worry about

• Arvan says:

Barnes was twenty-one. Not thirty. But a twenty-year-old playing a thirteen-year-old doesn’t work, believe me. This is supposed to be months (not even a year) after the events of VDT!

• Anhun says:

Actually, he was 25, but you are right in the sense that turning a 20 something into a late teen is a LOT easier than turning a late teen into a tween. I would say that the latter is completely impossible. That being said, if they aren’t willing to change the character (his dialog and behaviors) so that he’s more teenaged, then Will P is already too old for the part. In his current film, Will P is playing a 15-year-old, and I really think that’s as low as he can go.

• liz says:

he was 28 yrs old in the 3rd fox version not 21. he was born in 1981.

• Not Of This World says:

He’s 29 right now. He was 26 in PC and in 28 VDT.

http:/www.imdb.com/name/nm1602660/

• liz says:

i thought he was 28yrs old, i forgot sorry. i’m not good with this age stuff

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I think people are making WAY too much about Will Poulter’s age.
    I seriously doubt they would dump the perfect Eustace simply because he looks more mature. That would just be silly.

• Shastafan says:

I agree with you. I understand why there’s a reason to worry about this, but I don’t think we know too much yet to come to conclusions on what they’ll do with Will. Maybe it’s just because I’ve never cared about Eustace’s age in SC that makes me not so afriad about this. Until we hear more about the deal with Will, I think we shouldn’t be freaking out about it. Besides, if we love Will as Eustace, why would the movie makers have it any other way, even if he is older? πŸ˜‰

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

Seriously, who cares if he’s older than his character? It’l be better that way anyways because then it will attract even more of an older audience.

• Narnian Meerkat says:

Uggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! Darnit. . .I wanted the Silver Chair to be next! Now Will is going to be too old to be Eustace! But I still reallly hope they won’t pick a different actor!!!!!! Sigh. . .oh, well. MN would be cool. . .But they BETTER make Aslan REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL looking again! Like in LWW!!!!!!!! It just wouldn’t be right if they didn’t. . .

• yeswelovenarnia says:

*sigh* I was hoping for SC because if they don’t make it soon they will have to get a different Eustace and that would be AWFUL!!! But this one will be interesting to see since they have never made a movie of it!! I just hope they know what they are doing. Chances are what will happen is this one will be a bomb and they won’t make any more…I really hope that is not the case, but I am ready just in case. :/

• GlimGlum says:

At least they are talking about making another Narnia movie. πŸ™‚ Personally, I would have liked The Silver Chair next or perhaps The Golden Couch. πŸ˜€ :-O

But maybe they are leaning towards MN because it could be cheper to produce than SC. Go Narnia!

• Movie Aristotle says:

Perhaps the only way the franchise can continue is to make both "The Magician’s Nephew" & "The Silver Chair" simultaneously and release them a year apart.

• Seiko says:

Consider VOTDD has now made 386 mil and might hit 400mil, they should have more confidence in this franchise. Both "The Silver Chair" and "The Magican’s Nephew" should be in the works, and they should be filmed very close together. Each with a budget from 110-130 million, and they should be both releases in either 2012 and 2013 or 2013 and 2014. Bring it in a quick time so people don’t forget, and go from The Lady Of The Green Kirtle to The Magican’s Nephew. Cast Tilda Swinton in both roles, and let people go gaga over it. Each is totally different in mood, formular, and storytelling. This franchise is doing well and its time it be showed.
      After these two then they should do Horse And His Boy.

• Anhun says:

I think it’s important that Tilda not play LGK. That way, when we meet LGK, we don’t know if she’s good or evil, and we can relate better to the children’s trust in her.

• Glimfeather says:

Well Magician"s Nephew is one of my favorite and i would really want to see it next,the only thing that worries me is how the reception will be.You know,between SC and MN I don’t really know which one should be next but I feel that to bring back the glory of the franchise they should make The Magician’s Nephew.

• Victoria says:

Narnia. Narnia. Narnia. Awake, love, think, speak, be walking tress, be talking beasts, de divine water. OMG! I cant whait until Aslan is saying this at the cinema. Its going to be amazing!! Go The Magician’s Nephew!! For Narniaaaaa!!

• The Lady Arwen UndΓ³miel says:

Hallelujah!

• Boke_Wyrm says:

I think I see the reasoning: LWW is the only Chronicle where Aslan does anything Christ-like, and MN and LB are the only ones where he acts God-like. He’s more in the background in the others, SC especially, and now that Lucy Pevensie is grown up, it makes sense they want to present Aslan as a more active and compelling character, not to mention show us lots more CGI furry critters, who are probably much cheaper to do than in 2004.

I can’t get upset by how old Will Poulter will be; he will be older for LB in any case. The important thing about Experiment House, if you follow Michael Ward, is that "the lunatics are running the asylum." Eustace and Jill don’t have to be school-age students. A variety of workplaces can stand in as well (trust me). Eustace and Jill could be teachers at Experiment House, terrorized and humiliated by the older students. If anything, that might sharpen the drama. It can be done. In the meantime, I support the film-makers’ quest to bring MN to the screen.

• Swordebrithil12 says:

This is such great news, I can’t express my hapiness enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Personally I really wanted to have The Silver Chair made next but this is also welcome! Also for some reason it feels like they can’t screw this one up much. I’ll be waiting impatiently for the day I go to the theater to watch The Magician’s Nephew!!!!!! FOR NARNIA, AND FOR ASLAN!!!!

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

I’m just staying calm for now. It’s exciting, but not official. Walden seems happy even though Dawn Treader hasn’t performed as well as they hoped domestically. Now they have to convince 20th Century Fox…

• gingerchicaa says:

noooooooooo! i wanted silver chair πŸ™ that is my favorite book. and it would make more sense to do SC and then MN. πŸ™ boo.

• spacedogboi101 says:

I truely believe that doing "The Magician’s Nephew" as the next movie will kill the franchise. How would they even get non-fans of the books to go see "The Silver Chair" afterwards? Plus, they could never make "The Last Battle" without doing "The Silver Chair"…..and sadly, "The Horse and His Boy" should be the very last one considered to be made in to a movie. Like i said, making "The Magician’s Nephew" next will be the end of the series of movies. They might as well go with doing "The Silver Chair" next and end the series with the full story of the characters that have already been introduced, and they might even find out that the franchise can live on and do "The Magician’s Nephew" afterall….and perhaps even "The Last Battle".

• Moonwood says:

Wow, I was so excited to see the next movie ‘greenlighted’, it seems, and the pride with which Fox is doing it !
    Then I read some of your comments…what a bunch of wet blankets some of you are…
    If some of the producers happen to read this, how will our comments about our preferences be taken seriously ?
    I recently realized that as much as I want too see Silver Chair, it is more important to go with something that will excite the audiences more , then see where things take us.
    Why don’t we make a short list of the details from the book ( now is the time) that we would respectfully, be very grateful to see adapted to the big screen ?
    They just might listen, if it is reasonably short, and done diplomatically.

• Caspian says:

Not to seem rude, but the producers never listen to us anyway. Why should they start now? ;D

• Moonwood says:

Of course, this is my first impression as well.
        –But have we ever really tried ? Or just made comments among ourselves, often after a script has been approved.
        It could be interesting to come up with maybe just 4 points, that all Narnia webbers agree upon, just can’t be left out. Anyone want to try ?

• Not Of This World says:

I agree. I think we should write letters to producers to show what we want in the movie. For example SC. If enough people send etters, we might get SC next.

• Michael says:

It’s a hap hap hap-py day!!!

• TheRealEmilee says:

Aw I was planning on doin an audition for Jill Pole!

• Lucia says:

it’s alright,emilee!
      it isn’t great problem 4u,i think*
      ur perfctly ready,rn’t u??
      & i hope they’ll dicide2 make SC & HHB,quickly!
      if they do,i want2 act Aravis!!!!!!!

• skandar-keyneslover says:

I would say the Silver Chair would be a better choice because of Will, he’s getting older, look at him now, and then look at how he looks like in VODT. I think they’re making a mistake.
    Though I think MN is better than SC.

• always narnian says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so outrageous! For one thing they HINTED at SC next in the film! They introduced Jill Pole and they implied Eustace would be coming back! This is RIDICULOUS! Eustace is going to be too old!!!!!! Save the money, and come back to it! Do SC next! People who haven’t read the books are gonna be like what is this? Where is that Eustace kid? And everyone is going to be so confused! We need to make a petition or something…

• bocklin says:

I think they want to do MN because they’re desperate to get Tilda Swinton as the villain again.

• GlimGlum says:

I think that’s part of it. πŸ™‚

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Tilda Swinton simply MUST play Jadis in "The Magician’s Nephew."

Further more, it’s a smart decision. She is the series’ strongest villain.
      I loved Sergio (Miraz), but the sad fact is, he was just a man. In a fantasy series like this, I think people gravitate to mystical villains. Many people said Tilda’s cameos in "Prince Caspian" and "Dawn Treader" were "frustratingly brief." The audience wants Tilda Swinton back full time. I fully support that. Tilda’s final scene in "Dawn Treader" was my favorite part.

"I can make you my king. Just take my hand…..Just give in….."
      Awesome. I want to see Tilda in the flesh again! πŸ˜€

• WhiteRider says:

Both are fine with me, but I would prefer The Silver Chair next. But The Magician’s Nephew has so much more potential and can make much more money. All the LWW fans who saw it will see a better connection to it and I have a feeling if they make MN next in the ways they have been making previous films maybe with a little better quality like the first one it will be the 2nd highest grossing Narnia movie because of the deep connections. If Fox targets Christian audiences with the Creation theme in it like they targeted Christian audiences with LWW and the sacrifice theme they will make a ton of money off of it and will be able to continue the series.

• opera13 says:

I was rather expecting Silver Chair next. In my opinion, it’s one of the easiest stories to tell. Nice, straightforward quest story.

However…do you guys really think the filmmakers haven’t considered the age issue with Will? Of course they have. He was well-received as Eustace and I’m assuming they want him back for Silver Chair if and when it’s made. I don’t think there’s any chance at all of them trying to cast someone else in a few years. I would have liked the kids younger in Prince Caspian, but we got it when we got it and they used the same actors.

By the way…has anyone checked? For all we know, Will might have other film obligations just now, though I’d rather expect the producers would have known that before casting him.

As for Horse and His Boy, I had a conversation with one of the filmmakers the day the first LWW trailer was screened (might’ve been Mark Johnson, but don’t hold me to that. I didn’t really know who anybody was at the time.) We talked a tiny bit about HHB and he said way back then that he’d been looking at it and thought there might be a way it could be done. In any case, I was definately under the impression that he wanted to make it eventually. So don’t write any of the films off yet (We all know it’s essentially a matter of money.). I think Magician’s Nephew is a great story, though I think there’s more that could go astray in the making than in SC. Still, I’m encouraged that they’re pressing on.

• CEP Paul T says:

I am all good with this bit of news. πŸ™‚

• Caspian says:

Meh, I’ve kind of decided the books are the books and they can’t get any better as movies, no matter how good they make them. Imagination is the only way to view Narnia. That being said, I think MN is a wise choice, so long as they realize they can’t use Will P for SC anymore. He’s too old already, so it might be for the best if they settle on a new Eustace.

Which is awful, because he was amazing. But MN might bring some new vigor and freshness to the saga. At this point, I’ve abandoned my thirst for the movies and have sworn loyalty to the books alone.

Personally, I think they just want Jadis back. They know there would be a major boycott if they put her in SC, so now they’re using her in MN because they think she’s their last card or something. πŸ™‚

• just jill says:

they can still use will for Eustace. Don’t you have any clue how old Skandar is?

• Anhun says:

Skandar looked much too old in the last two movies. It was jarring. The only reason why it didn’t ruin those movies for me is the fact that he’s "always playing second fiddle." In the movie PC, Peter and Caspian were expected to carry the movie, while Edmund was almost like a comic relief character (almost). In the movie VDT, the focus alternated between Lucy and Eustace, with the occasional moment alotted to the rest of the ensemble, including Edmund.

In SC, Eustace is a central character, so it’s critically important that the performance ring true. If we have an actor who looks like a teenager, playing a pre-adolescent character, it will ruin the movie.

• Just Queen, not High Queen says:

This is ridiculous! The majority of us voted for SC, especially after the set up placed at the end of VDT. I personally don’t know why there’s such a controversy as to what film should be next!

Why don’t they just film both MN and SC at the same time and release SC first. Then Will won’t get too old, especially since SC takes place only a few months after VDT,and it would solve this conflict.

• DamselJillPole says:

I know! Silver Chair got so many votes to make. i think these guys are lying. Typical Hollywood!

• Anhun says:

You’re forgetting that narniawebbers are a very small percentage of the movie-going public.

• Aravis Narnia says:

Makes no logical sense to make MN before SC…

But another Narnia movie IS another Narnia movie!!!

I just wish HHB were made someday.

• just jill says:

I hope HHB will be made as well it is my favorite book i will be real mad if they screw it all up though.

• DamselJillPole says:

I am litterally cursing out @ my ceiling @ the moment right now! How can these guys be so stupid!!!? They need to do SILVER CHAIR to continue Caspian’s story and Will Poulter for crying out loud would be too old to play Eustace anymore! I so badly want to see Silver Chair and if this Magician’s Nephew kills off the franchise then….(pulls my pillow and screams into it) GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

Is there ANY way to convince them to make SC next??

• DamselJillPole says:

People are also tired of the White Witch! Silver Chair introduces a new witch! Do Silver Chair next PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• lilims says:

NOOOOO!! If they do it there is no way anyone (well besides the Narnia fans) is gonna watch it without the Pevensies or Eustace who they have come to know and love! Will is already 18! Don’t do MN!!

• lilims says:

Let’s all right a letter to Walden, Michael Flaherty, and FOX! Anyone with me??

• RICHNARNIAFAN says:

let all hope they will do the rest of the series if they do it will probably take about 2 yrs 2 make them etc

• Hwin says:

Wow, I have very mixed emotions about this. . . haha, and yet I am really curious what all of those ‘Jill Pole Wannabe’s’ out there are thinking right now (please don’t take that in the wrong way).

Over the past few moments, I think I have come to the conclusion that I don’t love this idea, but it isn’t making me throw a fit either. *SIGH* However, I *was* really hoping that if they would continue, it would be with SC. . .

• atul says:

who votes for jim carrie for uncle andrew

• Anhun says:

I don’t see that at all, even with make-up. This says more about Andrew than it does about Carrie, but I just don’t think he’s weird enough for the part.

• opera13 says:

It’s quite clear why they won’t film two films at once. Money. The filmmakers WANT to get these films made, but you need the profits from the previous film to fund the next one. Lord of the Rings was unusual, unique, and I still don’t know how Jackson managed to convince the studio, but good on them for going with it. Harry Potter 6 isn’t a case like Narnia either. The filmmakers would probably love to go out and shoot SC immediately followed by LB with one team while another does MN followed by HHB, but the money’s not there. We can critique the order they choose to film in, but simultaneous shooting isn’t a viable option here.

• Anhun says:

Re: funding all-in-one production of LotR

Never hurts when the source material is among the top-ten bestsellers of modern times.

• Arvan says:

You Narnia fanatics who think The Magicians Nephew is actually going to make more money than SC would are forgetting that VDT was criticized for cutting Peter and Susan out. Now we’ve lost Ed and Lucy, and have only Eustace. But they’re going with a brand new batch of main characters. Movie-goers don’t like that, believe me. MN was published in the perfect spot: HHB was a different story but it had the Pevensies in it. Then, after we’ve let go of the main characters a bit, MN, which was a prequel. Right after came The Last Battle, with many references to MN.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I almost wish they had quit instead of this. They’ve gone too far. Skip SC now, and it will be SO hard to do faithfully later. You know that if Will Poulter’s twenty when (if) they film SC, there’ll be a Eustace/Jill romance. They may not even do SC at all; and if that’s the case, I’m done being a movie-follower. I’ll go hang out in the book forums and read the books Lewis wrote. There! I’ve officially become a wet blanket. Live with it, please.

• stateofgreen says:

@Arvan I think I might join you in being a wet blanket. I so wanted to see Silver Chair next for Will P. I cherish the Focus on the Family audiobooks for at least getting the books right when the 2nd and 3rd films failed. VDT was such a disappointment it still hurts some.