Confirmed: Walden is Talking With Fox About Making The Magician’s Nephew

Dekkie attended NRB’s Sunday Super Session in Nashville today and has posted the following report which confirms that Walden is leaning toward making The Magician’s Nephew next.

Michael Flaherty just confirmed that Walden was talking with Fox about the Magician’s Nephew.

I just got back from attending NRB’s Sunday Super Session in Nashville, TN, where Flaherty and Simon Swart from Fox spoke about “Connecting with Audiences in an Age of Distraction.” And Narnia, of course. A few noteworthy tidbits:

When asked by Phil Cooke of Cooke Pictures and host of this session if Walden would make any more Narnia movies, Flaherty responded, without hesitation: “Yes. We are talking to Fox about making the Magician’s Nephew next.” The audience clapped. He then mentioned that there was some debate about whether SC or MN should be next, and asked the audience to clap for their favorite. A few (including myself, loudly) clapped for SC, but the majority cheered for MN.

Flaherty also referred to Gresham as “the CS Lewis Cop,” and talked about when the production team would wonder what Lewis thought of something, Gresham would say something like about how once he was having dinner with Jack and he said that if there ever was a movie made it would have to include such and such. Flaherty, laughingly, added that he wondered how many of those stories actually happened.

Phil Cooke talked about the time he was at the first screening of the VDT trailer, 20 minutes after the trailer was shown, he received a notification on his phone from Google about all these Narnia sites having detailed reports about the trailer. “These people are crazy.” I laughed – because we are.

Flaherty gave a “huge, heartfelt thankΒ  you” to the audience for their support of the film, saying that many thought the franchise was “dead” after PC. He seemed pleased and not worried that VDT made “only” $100 million domestically.

Swart also talked about how excited Fox was to be able to pick up the franchise: “We get a shot at Narnia?” and saying that they “jumped in with both feet in.”

Thanks to Dekkie for the report!

381 Responses

1. freya says:

Oh no, I was hoping somebody would come to their senses, surprise everybody and make HHB next. Okay, wishful thinking, because it's my second favourite of the books (after LWW), and the last book I really have any interest in seeing made into a movie. At least it's good that they're not giving up on the franchise.

• Moonwood says:

Gee, don't get too excited…

• freya says:

To quote Reepicheep in PC: "is that supposed to be irony?" That being said, for the fans' sake I'm hoping they continue with the franchise, regardless which book they choose to adapt next. HHB being the only interesting left is just my personal opinion of course.

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

At first, I wanted Silver Chair to be made next, but now that I think of it, I'm glad there are doing Magician's Nephew next: because if they do it after Silver Chair, people will probably forget about how in the 1rst movie, we learn that the professor went to Narnia before. And Will won't be too much older. Skandar was a lot older in Prince Caspian and he didn't look bad. I'm SOOOOO relieved that there will be another Narnia movie!!!!!!!!!!

• Lucia says:

I just hope they won't skip HHB!!!
      if they make it,i want2 act Aravis(i am asian 4sure**)

2. WarriorMaiden says:

Well, I would have liked to see SC next, especially since Will's going to get a lot older in that interval if they go with MN first. He was so funny. I was really looking forward to seeing a whole movie featuring him. Still, I'm sure MN will be good too. After all, they do need to strategic, and MN would make for a good connection back to LWW which made them the most money. Still…..

3. Quinlin says:

As wonderful it is to hear that there are at least speculations that MN may be the next film to be adapted into a film, I am greatly concerned that they are making quite a mistake in regards to the possibilities of ever seeing the makings for the final 4 books. Most movie goers, who are not passionate or faithful followers of the stories, will have a difficult time understanding a 'prequel' as you may call it, after several films chronologically following the release of LWW have already been released. If MN were to be greenlit and eventually adapted, I truly believe that the series will come to an end with MN, as then returning once more to a future Narnia, with different characters, ages ahead of what just happened in MN, and also with several entangling plots will have everyone confused and therefore dropping interest with the films entirely. Plus, there is also the downside that obviously the cast will have to be different…i.e. Will Poulter will no longer be able to reprise his role as Eustace in SC, as he will then be too old for the role. If, despite the now slim chance, they should chose to create SC, then there would be a somewhat more positive outlook for at least one or even two others to be finally made before ending the series. Regardless, of course, the future of the Narnia films does lie in how much success they earn in the box office, but I find myself seeing MN to be the last of the Chronicles adapted, should they go that route.

• Aytisi says:

Are you saying a modern audience can't comprehend a storytelling sequence that children could handle 60 years ago? I think we can.

4. Lucylove says:

Yes! Finally they came to their senses and are making MN it's my favorite book. I hope that Will won't be too old for SC when they make it though.

5. wild rose says:

No, I can't belive this, Magician's Nephew!!!!!!!?????? Why, I was so looking forward to Silver Chair, *sighs* why are they messing everything up, MN is the 6th book, I thought they were making the movies according to the way C.S Lewis wrote them πŸ™ By the time they get around to making Silver Chair Will Poulter will be waaaaaaay to old……….I'm so dissapointed :(((( this is such sad news for me πŸ™

• Narnia4Eves says:

I don't think Will Poulter's age will be a problem because look at Ben Barnes, He was a thirty year old playing a seventeen year old in the first movie. So there isn't much to worry about

• Arvan says:

Barnes was twenty-one. Not thirty. But a twenty-year-old playing a thirteen-year-old doesn't work, believe me. This is supposed to be months (not even a year) after the events of VDT!

• Anhun says:

Actually, he was 25, but you are right in the sense that turning a 20 something into a late teen is a LOT easier than turning a late teen into a tween. I would say that the latter is completely impossible. That being said, if they aren't willing to change the character (his dialog and behaviors) so that he's more teenaged, then Will P is already too old for the part. In his current film, Will P is playing a 15-year-old, and I really think that's as low as he can go.

• liz says:

he was 28 yrs old in the 3rd fox version not 21. he was born in 1981.

• Not Of This World says:

He's 29 right now. He was 26 in PC and in 28 VDT.

http:/www.imdb.com/name/nm1602660/

• liz says:

i thought he was 28yrs old, i forgot sorry. i'm not good with this age stuff

6. Mayor Wilkins says:

I think people are making WAY too much about Will Poulter's age.
    I seriously doubt they would dump the perfect Eustace simply because he looks more mature. That would just be silly.

• Shastafan says:

I agree with you. I understand why there's a reason to worry about this, but I don't think we know too much yet to come to conclusions on what they'll do with Will. Maybe it's just because I've never cared about Eustace's age in SC that makes me not so afriad about this. Until we hear more about the deal with Will, I think we shouldn't be freaking out about it. Besides, if we love Will as Eustace, why would the movie makers have it any other way, even if he is older? πŸ˜‰

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

Seriously, who cares if he's older than his character? It'l be better that way anyways because then it will attract even more of an older audience.

7. Narnian Meerkat says:

Uggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! Darnit. . .I wanted the Silver Chair to be next! Now Will is going to be too old to be Eustace! But I still reallly hope they won't pick a different actor!!!!!! Sigh. . .oh, well. MN would be cool. . .But they BETTER make Aslan REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL looking again! Like in LWW!!!!!!!! It just wouldn't be right if they didn't. . .

8. yeswelovenarnia says:

*sigh* I was hoping for SC because if they don't make it soon they will have to get a different Eustace and that would be AWFUL!!! But this one will be interesting to see since they have never made a movie of it!! I just hope they know what they are doing. Chances are what will happen is this one will be a bomb and they won't make any more…I really hope that is not the case, but I am ready just in case. :/

9. GlimGlum says:

At least they are talking about making another Narnia movie. πŸ™‚ Personally, I would have liked The Silver Chair next or perhaps The Golden Couch. πŸ˜€ :-O

But maybe they are leaning towards MN because it could be cheper to produce than SC. Go Narnia!

10. Movie Aristotle says:

Perhaps the only way the franchise can continue is to make both "The Magician's Nephew" & "The Silver Chair" simultaneously and release them a year apart.

• Seiko says:

Consider VOTDD has now made 386 mil and might hit 400mil, they should have more confidence in this franchise. Both "The Silver Chair" and "The Magican's Nephew" should be in the works, and they should be filmed very close together. Each with a budget from 110-130 million, and they should be both releases in either 2012 and 2013 or 2013 and 2014. Bring it in a quick time so people don't forget, and go from The Lady Of The Green Kirtle to The Magican's Nephew. Cast Tilda Swinton in both roles, and let people go gaga over it. Each is totally different in mood, formular, and storytelling. This franchise is doing well and its time it be showed.
      After these two then they should do Horse And His Boy.

• Anhun says:

I think it's important that Tilda not play LGK. That way, when we meet LGK, we don't know if she's good or evil, and we can relate better to the children's trust in her.

11. Glimfeather says:

Well Magician"s Nephew is one of my favorite and i would really want to see it next,the only thing that worries me is how the reception will be.You know,between SC and MN I don't really know which one should be next but I feel that to bring back the glory of the franchise they should make The Magician's Nephew.

12. Victoria says:

Narnia. Narnia. Narnia. Awake, love, think, speak, be walking tress, be talking beasts, de divine water. OMG! I cant whait until Aslan is saying this at the cinema. Its going to be amazing!! Go The Magician’s Nephew!! For Narniaaaaa!!

13. The Lady Arwen UndΓ³miel says:

Hallelujah!

14. Boke_Wyrm says:

I think I see the reasoning: LWW is the only Chronicle where Aslan does anything Christ-like, and MN and LB are the only ones where he acts God-like. He's more in the background in the others, SC especially, and now that Lucy Pevensie is grown up, it makes sense they want to present Aslan as a more active and compelling character, not to mention show us lots more CGI furry critters, who are probably much cheaper to do than in 2004.

I can't get upset by how old Will Poulter will be; he will be older for LB in any case. The important thing about Experiment House, if you follow Michael Ward, is that "the lunatics are running the asylum." Eustace and Jill don't have to be school-age students. A variety of workplaces can stand in as well (trust me). Eustace and Jill could be teachers at Experiment House, terrorized and humiliated by the older students. If anything, that might sharpen the drama. It can be done. In the meantime, I support the film-makers' quest to bring MN to the screen.

15. This is such great news, I can't express my hapiness enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Personally I really wanted to have The Silver Chair made next but this is also welcome! Also for some reason it feels like they can't screw this one up much. I'll be waiting impatiently for the day I go to the theater to watch The Magician's Nephew!!!!!! FOR NARNIA, AND FOR ASLAN!!!!

16. Louloudi the Centaur says:

I'm just staying calm for now. It's exciting, but not official. Walden seems happy even though Dawn Treader hasn't performed as well as they hoped domestically. Now they have to convince 20th Century Fox…

17. gingerchicaa says:

noooooooooo! i wanted silver chair πŸ™ that is my favorite book. and it would make more sense to do SC and then MN. πŸ™ boo.

18. spacedogboi101 says:

I truely believe that doing "The Magician's Nephew" as the next movie will kill the franchise. How would they even get non-fans of the books to go see "The Silver Chair" afterwards? Plus, they could never make "The Last Battle" without doing "The Silver Chair"…..and sadly, "The Horse and His Boy" should be the very last one considered to be made in to a movie. Like i said, making "The Magician's Nephew" next will be the end of the series of movies. They might as well go with doing "The Silver Chair" next and end the series with the full story of the characters that have already been introduced, and they might even find out that the franchise can live on and do "The Magician's Nephew" afterall….and perhaps even "The Last Battle".

19. Moonwood says:

Wow, I was so excited to see the next movie 'greenlighted', it seems, and the pride with which Fox is doing it !
    Then I read some of your comments…what a bunch of wet blankets some of you are…
    If some of the producers happen to read this, how will our comments about our preferences be taken seriously ?
    I recently realized that as much as I want too see Silver Chair, it is more important to go with something that will excite the audiences more , then see where things take us.
    Why don't we make a short list of the details from the book ( now is the time) that we would respectfully, be very grateful to see adapted to the big screen ?
    They just might listen, if it is reasonably short, and done diplomatically.

• Caspian says:

Not to seem rude, but the producers never listen to us anyway. Why should they start now? ;D

• Moonwood says:

Of course, this is my first impression as well.
        –But have we ever really tried ? Or just made comments among ourselves, often after a script has been approved.
        It could be interesting to come up with maybe just 4 points, that all Narnia webbers agree upon, just can't be left out. Anyone want to try ?

• Not Of This World says:

I agree. I think we should write letters to producers to show what we want in the movie. For example SC. If enough people send etters, we might get SC next.

20. Michael says:

It's a hap hap hap-py day!!!

21. TheRealEmilee says:

Aw I was planning on doin an audition for Jill Pole!

• Lucia says:

it's alright,emilee!
      it isn't great problem 4u,i think*
      ur perfctly ready,rn't u??
      & i hope they'll dicide2 make SC & HHB,quickly!
      if they do,i want2 act Aravis!!!!!!!

22. skandar-keyneslover says:

I would say the Silver Chair would be a better choice because of Will, he's getting older, look at him now, and then look at how he looks like in VODT. I think they're making a mistake.
    Though I think MN is better than SC.

23. always narnian says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so outrageous! For one thing they HINTED at SC next in the film! They introduced Jill Pole and they implied Eustace would be coming back! This is RIDICULOUS! Eustace is going to be too old!!!!!! Save the money, and come back to it! Do SC next! People who haven't read the books are gonna be like what is this? Where is that Eustace kid? And everyone is going to be so confused! We need to make a petition or something…

24. bocklin says:

I think they want to do MN because they're desperate to get Tilda Swinton as the villain again.

• GlimGlum says:

I think that's part of it. πŸ™‚

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Tilda Swinton simply MUST play Jadis in "The Magician's Nephew."

Further more, it's a smart decision. She is the series' strongest villain.
      I loved Sergio (Miraz), but the sad fact is, he was just a man. In a fantasy series like this, I think people gravitate to mystical villains. Many people said Tilda's cameos in "Prince Caspian" and "Dawn Treader" were "frustratingly brief." The audience wants Tilda Swinton back full time. I fully support that. Tilda's final scene in "Dawn Treader" was my favorite part.

"I can make you my king. Just take my hand…..Just give in….."
      Awesome. I want to see Tilda in the flesh again! πŸ˜€

25. WhiteRider says:

Both are fine with me, but I would prefer The Silver Chair next. But The Magician's Nephew has so much more potential and can make much more money. All the LWW fans who saw it will see a better connection to it and I have a feeling if they make MN next in the ways they have been making previous films maybe with a little better quality like the first one it will be the 2nd highest grossing Narnia movie because of the deep connections. If Fox targets Christian audiences with the Creation theme in it like they targeted Christian audiences with LWW and the sacrifice theme they will make a ton of money off of it and will be able to continue the series.

26. opera13 says:

I was rather expecting Silver Chair next. In my opinion, it's one of the easiest stories to tell. Nice, straightforward quest story.

However…do you guys really think the filmmakers haven't considered the age issue with Will? Of course they have. He was well-received as Eustace and I'm assuming they want him back for Silver Chair if and when it's made. I don't think there's any chance at all of them trying to cast someone else in a few years. I would have liked the kids younger in Prince Caspian, but we got it when we got it and they used the same actors.

By the way…has anyone checked? For all we know, Will might have other film obligations just now, though I'd rather expect the producers would have known that before casting him.

As for Horse and His Boy, I had a conversation with one of the filmmakers the day the first LWW trailer was screened (might've been Mark Johnson, but don't hold me to that. I didn't really know who anybody was at the time.) We talked a tiny bit about HHB and he said way back then that he'd been looking at it and thought there might be a way it could be done. In any case, I was definately under the impression that he wanted to make it eventually. So don't write any of the films off yet (We all know it's essentially a matter of money.). I think Magician's Nephew is a great story, though I think there's more that could go astray in the making than in SC. Still, I'm encouraged that they're pressing on.

27. CEP Paul T says:

I am all good with this bit of news. πŸ™‚

28. Caspian says:

Meh, I've kind of decided the books are the books and they can't get any better as movies, no matter how good they make them. Imagination is the only way to view Narnia. That being said, I think MN is a wise choice, so long as they realize they can't use Will P for SC anymore. He's too old already, so it might be for the best if they settle on a new Eustace.

Which is awful, because he was amazing. But MN might bring some new vigor and freshness to the saga. At this point, I've abandoned my thirst for the movies and have sworn loyalty to the books alone.

Personally, I think they just want Jadis back. They know there would be a major boycott if they put her in SC, so now they're using her in MN because they think she's their last card or something. πŸ™‚

• just jill says:

they can still use will for Eustace. Don't you have any clue how old Skandar is?

• Anhun says:

Skandar looked much too old in the last two movies. It was jarring. The only reason why it didn't ruin those movies for me is the fact that he's "always playing second fiddle." In the movie PC, Peter and Caspian were expected to carry the movie, while Edmund was almost like a comic relief character (almost). In the movie VDT, the focus alternated between Lucy and Eustace, with the occasional moment alotted to the rest of the ensemble, including Edmund.

In SC, Eustace is a central character, so it's critically important that the performance ring true. If we have an actor who looks like a teenager, playing a pre-adolescent character, it will ruin the movie.

29. Just Queen, not High Queen says:

This is ridiculous! The majority of us voted for SC, especially after the set up placed at the end of VDT. I personally don't know why there's such a controversy as to what film should be next!

Why don't they just film both MN and SC at the same time and release SC first. Then Will won't get too old, especially since SC takes place only a few months after VDT,and it would solve this conflict.

• DamselJillPole says:

I know! Silver Chair got so many votes to make. i think these guys are lying. Typical Hollywood!

• Anhun says:

You're forgetting that narniawebbers are a very small percentage of the movie-going public.

30. Aravis Narnia says:

Makes no logical sense to make MN before SC…

But another Narnia movie IS another Narnia movie!!!

I just wish HHB were made someday.

• just jill says:

I hope HHB will be made as well it is my favorite book i will be real mad if they screw it all up though.

31. DamselJillPole says:

I am litterally cursing out @ my ceiling @ the moment right now! How can these guys be so stupid!!!? They need to do SILVER CHAIR to continue Caspian's story and Will Poulter for crying out loud would be too old to play Eustace anymore! I so badly want to see Silver Chair and if this Magician's Nephew kills off the franchise then….(pulls my pillow and screams into it) GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Alambil and Tarvis says:

Is there ANY way to convince them to make SC next??

33. DamselJillPole says:

People are also tired of the White Witch! Silver Chair introduces a new witch! Do Silver Chair next PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. lilims says:

NOOOOO!! If they do it there is no way anyone (well besides the Narnia fans) is gonna watch it without the Pevensies or Eustace who they have come to know and love! Will is already 18! Don't do MN!!

35. lilims says:

Let's all right a letter to Walden, Michael Flaherty, and FOX! Anyone with me??

36. RICHNARNIAFAN says:

let all hope they will do the rest of the series if they do it will probably take about 2 yrs 2 make them etc

37. Hwin says:

Wow, I have very mixed emotions about this. . . haha, and yet I am really curious what all of those 'Jill Pole Wannabe's' out there are thinking right now (please don't take that in the wrong way).

Over the past few moments, I think I have come to the conclusion that I don't love this idea, but it isn't making me throw a fit either. *SIGH* However, I *was* really hoping that if they would continue, it would be with SC. . .

38. atul says:

who votes for jim carrie for uncle andrew

• Anhun says:

I don't see that at all, even with make-up. This says more about Andrew than it does about Carrie, but I just don't think he's weird enough for the part.

39. opera13 says:

It's quite clear why they won't film two films at once. Money. The filmmakers WANT to get these films made, but you need the profits from the previous film to fund the next one. Lord of the Rings was unusual, unique, and I still don't know how Jackson managed to convince the studio, but good on them for going with it. Harry Potter 6 isn't a case like Narnia either. The filmmakers would probably love to go out and shoot SC immediately followed by LB with one team while another does MN followed by HHB, but the money's not there. We can critique the order they choose to film in, but simultaneous shooting isn't a viable option here.

• Anhun says:

Re: funding all-in-one production of LotR

Never hurts when the source material is among the top-ten bestsellers of modern times.

40. Arvan says:

You Narnia fanatics who think The Magicians Nephew is actually going to make more money than SC would are forgetting that VDT was criticized for cutting Peter and Susan out. Now we've lost Ed and Lucy, and have only Eustace. But they're going with a brand new batch of main characters. Movie-goers don't like that, believe me. MN was published in the perfect spot: HHB was a different story but it had the Pevensies in it. Then, after we've let go of the main characters a bit, MN, which was a prequel. Right after came The Last Battle, with many references to MN.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I almost wish they had quit instead of this. They've gone too far. Skip SC now, and it will be SO hard to do faithfully later. You know that if Will Poulter's twenty when (if) they film SC, there'll be a Eustace/Jill romance. They may not even do SC at all; and if that's the case, I'm done being a movie-follower. I'll go hang out in the book forums and read the books Lewis wrote. There! I've officially become a wet blanket. Live with it, please.

• stateofgreen says:

@Arvan I think I might join you in being a wet blanket. I so wanted to see Silver Chair next for Will P. I cherish the Focus on the Family audiobooks for at least getting the books right when the 2nd and 3rd films failed. VDT was such a disappointment it still hurts some.

41. Aslan's Country says:

I'm excited about this – I'm excited that they're making another Narnia movie at all. πŸ˜€
    But at the same time, I really really wanted to see Will Poulter in SC. πŸ™ I don't want Eustace recast.. if they're even going to make SC at all.
    I wonder where they're thinking of going if MN does well?

• Tauriel says:

If I were them, I would do SC and HHB next. By the time they'd get to HHB, Susan and Edmund would look adult enough like they should. I'm not sure about LB, though – it doesn't feel like something for the masses of average moviegoers (and while we all love Narnia to bits here, we mustn't forget that the films are not made just for fans, but for the general audience).

42. Tauriel says:

So I guess puddleGlum was right in his article – apparently they decided it will be easier to market "the prequel of (highly succesful) LWW" than "the sequel of (the not so successful) VDT". And I wouldn't worry too much about Will Poulter getting too old for SC – proper acting and good make-up can do wonders to a character's age. πŸ˜‰

43. aslans_aussie_princess says:

i looovvvvvvvvvvveee the magician's nephew!!!! i wonder who will be uncle andrew πŸ˜€

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I've wondered about Uncle Andrew too.
      It would have to be someone who could be sinister and yet kind of bumbling and silly.
      Someone who is mildly scary, but pales in comparison to Tilda Swinton.

• opera13 says:

One of my friends suggested David Tennant, who might be interesting (Doctor Who; Barty Crouch, Jr.), though they'd need to age him up.

• Anhun says:

Now when I read that, my first image was of Barty Crouch Jr., and I thought "too creepy." Then I remembered he was also Casanova. Uncle Andrew's character should be a balance of the frightening and the ridiculous, and I think Tennant is just the person to pull that off.

• stateofgreen says:

As long as he has a really mad wig prosthetic, DT could fit. He plays serio-comically/maniacal so well.

44. ajSilver X says:

Does this news means that "The Magician's Nephew" will be the next Narnia Movie instead of "The Silver Chair"? Well, they should have their final decisions earlire so that they can be ready to make the next Narnia movie earlier (the earlier the movie will be made, the earlier the movie will hit the theaters). We all know that J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" will be in cinemas by next year. C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia" is an epic masterpiece. The production team of Narnia must have a better director and they must make the films better and they must show in the movie the essence of christianity and the darkness that destroys our belief in christan religion. For the very first movie that talks about the CREATION "The Magician's Nephew" (If it will be the next Narnia film) can be a better movie than the Narnia films that preceeded it. Well, we are longing to see Narnia in the cinemas again. Further In!

45. Knight of Narnia says:

It's pretty obvious what order they should do it in really. First they should do silver chair, before Eustace gets too old, and then the last battle before the other children get too old, and then it doesn't really matter, as it doesn't matter much about age differences with HHB and MN

• Anhun says:

First of all, the other kids are supposed to be youngish adults in LB, so it really doesn't matter. Second of all, how would you do LB without introducing the Calormenes in HHB first? Or introducing the rings in MN?

46. Kelly says:

Yeah we are crazy!! πŸ™‚ I don't really mind too much aout MN being next, so long as they do SC after MN if they do the full series, because of Will's age. I'm so glad that Fox are happy to pick the CON films up from Disney. πŸ™‚ Here's to hoping for the full 7 films. πŸ˜€

47. AL says:

Ridiculous.

48. Geon says:

I'm guessing after they make The Magician's Nephew (And get it RIGHT!) there will be no Narnia movies after words πŸ™ I'm so wanting to see The Last Battle! (Doing to justice too).

49. narnia fan 7 says:

It makes no sense to do The Magician’s Nephew next

50. narnia fan 7 says:

It makes no sense to do The Magician’s Nephew next.

51. pselpevensie says:

I'm just so happy it's not stoping after VOTDT!!!!

52. narniakid4ever says:

I have mixed feelings on this. I really wanted to see the series made with continuity, meaning The Silver Chair, then The Last Battle, so that the characters could continue and grow as they do in the book. However, I believe the Magicians Nephew has the best chance of drawing people back into the magic of Narnia, with fresh characters, and multiple worlds.

On a side note: one thing that's been in the back of my mind since they started making the series, is that I think John Hurt would make a perfect Uncle Andrew!

53. Braden Woodburn says:

Okay so WOW, having ALOT of mized feelings now. Okay, I will say that I am VERY EXCITED that another film will be made. It shows that it will continue and look forward to another film in the franchise. However, I do say it upsets me because A, Will Poulter will look so much older by the time of The Silver Chair comes out (if they make it) and that would look weird to know that the time between The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair was only a few MONTHS, VDT was in the Summer, SC was in the Fall of Earth time. And B, it just seems weird to be going back to the very beginning instead of the next in the right order. Oh well, hopefully there will be some light in this.

54. Shows how out of touch those who make films are with the fans. Polls have overwhelmingly shown that fans want Silver Chair next.

If they're insistent on doing Magician's Nephew, then they should film both simultaneously.

55. Chris W says:

Silver Chair is my personal favorite of the Narnia books, but I'm hoping for a fresh start with the Magician's Nephew. Good as Will Poulter was, I think he is already too old NOW. Have you seen his pictures in the premier events? He's practically an adult.

My feeling is that the entire series started off too old. Remember LWW? Lucy was so cute, but Peter and Susan were already almost adults. Narnia's main audience will always be the younger set. LWW was the first and only movie that appealed to the younger set. Even VDT felt too old: there was the horrific fight scene at the end (there was absolutely no fighting in the book!), and all the "kids" were old.

My hope is that MN reboots the franchise by casting younger leads, and be more kid-friendly. Narnia's heroes and heroines were innocent, vulnerable children who surprised us with their courage, who were young enough to receive Aslan's love unconditionally and affectionally. Let's have more of that, rather than merely action heroes who don't shave.

Eustace will have to be recast for SC, but SC is really about Jill anyway. I know this is not the emphasis adult fans want, but really, that's where the audience is (look around the theater at any Narnia movie). I'd love to see more intelligent, substantial movies that young children can appreciate. Apart from Pixar's stuff, we mostly get moronic shows with rude body noises that throws in off-color double-entendres to appeal to adults (their idea of "wit").

• demos says:

I've loved browsing the forums, but I feel compelled to speak out on this issue.

I was just as crestfallen as most everyone when I first heard that Magician's Nephew might be next – but then I got to thinking about it, and…

Look at the big picture. If Silver Chair were next, then what? HHB? LB? Then when would they do Magician's Nephew?

I think this decision actually makes a lot of sense:

1) The franchise needs a reboot, and let's face it VDT was not it. As much as I love the latest film, most of us acknowledge they could have done better. Let's have a fresh start (and more faithful to the books, please!)

2) Tilda will be absolutely perfect as Jadis, and it's a role with tremendous depth. Let her exit the franchise in a blaze of glory, while rekindling interest. Then the first four movies will have had her as a bit of a recurring/unifying theme, coming full circle. Nice and tidy.

3) I think the producers are committed to doing all seven films, and the best way to do that is very probably to do SC & LB back to back after MN, with Jill and a new Eustace featuring in both films. As great as a job as Will did, we'd certainly lose him for LB anyway – so just bite the bullet and let the man off the hook, people.

4) Doing HHB as the very last film actually opens up a ton of possibilities. For one, who wouldn't want to see Anna in that role in 10 years? Moreover, delving into the Golden Age of Narnia might even open the door for some new films not based on the writings of Lewis.

So, I actually think that LWW-PC-VDT-MN-SC-LB-HHB is the way to go.

• Moonwood says:

And let's make an even bigger effort to stay close to the book, shall we ? I completely agree with everything you wrote, best comment to date, I think, but let's not encourage the idea of making Narnia sequels independent of Lewis' writings ! that would be a irritating…

• Anhun says:

I disagree that they need a "fresh start." What they really need is good quality films with well-written scripts and fully-developed, relatable characters. I think the film producers, as well as a number of narniawebbers are focusing too much on unimportant details.

• stateofgreen says:

I don't believe SC is only about Jill. There is a focus on her as another new Narnian "convert" but it involves the relationships of all involved in the quest for the Prince. I can't believe I'm saying this but if it gets to the point where Will is really unable to be dressed down to look like a high schooler, then ….*eek*….I guess I could tolerate them casting a new Eustace. I hope they change their minds at the last minute and decide to film Silver Chair instead though and then tweak the script to allow Eustace to be a high schooler. Will's talents were seriously wasted with the horrible Dawn Treader script he was given. They did not give Will the screentime he deserved.

56. Mangolite says:

Okay, if the MN is greenlit and going in production, please, for once, stray not too far from the book and make it engaging entertainment. LWW had sets the standard and then PC derailed it, but it was VDT that dug a hole. No more Tilda Swinton and Douglas Gresham should be ashamed of himself if MN fail. Being the only living inheritor of the Lewis estate, as a quote found in the SPIDERMAN universe, "With great power comes great responsibility."

• stateofgreen says:

I wonder seriously how much of a say Mr. Gresham really has though. I could not believe that that script of VDT was filmed with his full approval?

• Moonwood says:

Douglas G. was actually quoted saying he felt Lewis would be proud of his policing of Prince Caspian.
        Wow.
        He seems like a nice guy, but maybe out of touch with reality. I don't think he is taken so seriously by the producers. The first time I saw him in an interview ( past year ) he looked really strange…all in black, odd beard, and looked like a cult-leader ( lol I am sure he isn't but he seriously looked it ) I am a christian, and not ashamed to let the world know, but that giant crystal cross on his chest was really over the top…

• Anhun says:

Frankly, if I was C.S. Lewis, I'd be ashamed to admit to having written PC, never mind worrying about how people adapt it.

• Not Of This World says:

If I was Lewis, I would be proud of PC. It's not my favorite book, but its a good story.

57. Jess says:

While Silver Chair has always been one of my favs personally (I may die if I don't see a big screen adaption of Puddleglum!!! He's a respectibiggle, marshwiggle.)
    But I'm just glad as long as they continue the series, I love the Narnia books and one more movie is one more chance for a film to do well and one more chance for them to continue it again πŸ™‚

58. farnia says:

Is there a possibility of doing two movies at the same time Magician and His Nephew/ Silver Chair

59. johnthemon says:

do not get what all the fuss is about, Magician's Nephew is much better than Silver Chair. Also, Will Poulter was good as a Dawn Treader Eustace, but I don't know if he could pull off a Silver Chair Eustace. Anyway, I never really liked Silver Chair or Last Battle, and Horse and His Boy will never get made anyway, so I'm glad their doing Magician's Nephew.

1. February 28, 2011