Report: Perry Moore Had Secured Funding for The Magician’s Nephew

Posted February 19, 2011 9:42 am by Tirian

WKTR.com is reporting that in a conversation with his mother on Wednesday night, Perry Moore told her that he had secured funding for The Magician’s Nephew.

“The night before he died, he had an hour-long conversation with his mom,” father Bill Moore said as he waited at the airport for a flight to New York. “He had gotten all the good news he could possibly get.”

Perry Moore told his family he’d secured financing for another Narnia movie, “The Magician’s Nephew.” He was also working with Starz, a cable-movie company, to adapt his novel, “Hero,” and he was preparing to meet with actress Julianne Moore on another project.

“He had everything in the world going for him,” his father said. “He was very upbeat.”

While it’s unclear how this will all play out, it appears that there may have been some negotiations going on for another Narnia film and that, rather than doing Silver Chair next, the production could have been looking forward to The Magician’s Nephew. This may also turn out to be speculation or the very early stages of a deal. What is certain is that we’ll need to show patience and restraint while we wait for more details to appear.

Thanks to ‘Louloudi the Centaur’ for the link.

It is strange to see a story like this (even an unofficial one) break out of such a tragedy.

• Duffleglum says:

His father mentioned the Magician’s Nephew to imply how things were going great for his son – to settle any rumors of suicide.

I say bravo for Perry’s dad for diverging the media’s attention onto the wonderful things Perry did, and wanted to do, than to feed speculation about suicidal motivations.

I feel, however, that we should be reminded of what matters most: who we want to be (not what movies we want to see).

• caleb says:

"settle any rumors of suicide"?
        Really? Was that anyone elses first reaction? Suicide? Seriously? I guess its possible.

• Aslan's Meadow says:

wow, all this time we are 99% sure Silver Chair is next. What a shocker. All this time they were having Magician’s Nephew on their mind. Ok, now it’s time for a complete turnaround in my mind….if they make another movie…it’s Magician’s Nephew. I wonder if this means they are really serious about another movie or not. And poor Will Poulter, he’s most likely out of the running for Eustace in Silver Chair if they do it in years to come….RATS!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

what?? are you kidding me? asking if they are serious about more narnia movies because of making MN first?if anything, this shows that they understand the story of creation is more important to get out there than a silly (but enjoyable) story about another witch lady and goofy eustace. (although i was looking forward to meeting jill pole.) I don’t know how they can make eustace be young for SC now- maybe put him in high school?

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

and i will miss the ever luscious ben barnes. luckily he is doing lots of other movies.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

High Queene Shelly Belly:

I do prefer ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ to ‘The Silver Chair’, but I think you’re being a bit too dismissive of the latter. I wouldn’t call it ‘silly’. I think it has a lot of value, both as entertainment, and as a faith lesson. From a spiritual perspective, it has a lot to say about discipline, obedience, and the power of unwavering faith. Puddleglum is a wonderful character who never strays from his goal, despite being exposed to all kinds of temptation, frustration, and deception. From a more human perspective, the relationship between Eustace and Jill is very special. It’s quite different from the familial relationships of the previous books. And, while, they don’t have blood ties, they share something almost as powerful: the bond of adolescent loneliness. If you have the Focus on the Family Radio Dramas on CD, listen to the first few minutes when Eustace and Jill are hiding from the bullies. Eustace goes from being glib, to defensive, to ashamed, to compassionate, all in the space of a few moments. Conversely, Jill goes from being dismissive to angry, and then is sort of shocked into silence by the realization of Eustace’s sincerity. It’s a wonderful exchange that really cements their friendship, in a completely believable way. I love quiet moments like that that give these characters a little bit of depth and humanity. The music is beautiful in that sequence, too. I wish the films could capture the spirit of those radio dramas, and I still hope to see a respectful attempt to capture some of that sentiment cinematically.

Lastly, I’ve always found the ending to be truly joyous. Poor Caspian, spending the last ten years of his life mourning not only the loss of his wife, but of his only child. Then, finally, passing away peacefully, but not before Aslan grants him his life-long wish of seeing our world, allowing him to draw his sword in "battle" one last time. Maybe it’s silly, but the idea of a massive golden lion and a suddenly youthfully rejuvenated sexagenarian leading the charge against a group of English school bullies is delightfully appealing to me.

So, while it’s not my favorite of the books, it’s still a wonderful story with a lot of magical moments, and I do hope they decide to make ‘The Silver Chair’ next. Or, at least, eventually.

• stateofgreen says:

@Non Negotiable—What you said about Jill and Eustace’s friendship is why I so badly want to see Silver Chair translated to screen. While the first movies focused on the relationship of family members, Silver Chair and Last Battle seem to me to focus on relationships outside the family circle. I get regretful when thinking how PC was botched…Disney pulling out really delayed everything and Will P will (and could still make a heart-rending Eustace with a good script….)….big sigh.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

Hey Non, i hope to Aslan you are a writer because you certainly have a wonderful talent for it! I enjoyed your commentary more than I even enjoyed the book! and yes, thanks for pointing those things out, it has given me more of an appreciation for the book, which never really grabbed me. yes I have the Focus cd set, man, it rocks. If only the movies could be a film version of the cd’s, life would be perfect. fantasically acted, faithful adaptations, filled with emotion and meaning, I recommend them to everyone. THEY bring narnia to life better than any other media has!

• Lucylove says:

this is great MN is just what I wanted!

• skandargirl_95 says:

I know right? I was like TOTALLY dead set for The Silver Chair!!!not that I hate The Magician’s Nephew:it was totally fun…but I was thinking it come AFTER they release SC, so that we can end Caspian’s trilogy:it seemed right to me

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

i know!! that’s EXACTLY how i feel, like, MN is cool and all, i love how it’s totally unique and stuff but WHAT ABOUT WILL POULTLER?!?!?!!?!? we can’t just leave him hanging there! since VDT, my entire life has been lived to see him in SC, but if they make MN next, by the time they get BACK to SC, Will’s gonna be in his, like, twenties! in my opinion, it’s so obvious that making SC is the best move. But, whatever happens, at least we know that Narnia might possibly have a future. ๐Ÿ™‚

• TrueNarnianWithWill says:

Wow. thoguht they would have considered SC next.. *wail!* Eustace will be too old for SC then!

• wolfloversk says:

Not necessarily, and even if he was too old for SC, we’d still have problems for LB… infact even with Will P MN first maybe the better decision, because he will grow more evenly through out the films… But I wouldn’t worry, after all they made Ben Barnes look younger than he was in PC ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anhun says:

The thing is, LB is supposed to take place many years after SC. Also, given how people age differently at different times of life, even if they film SC next, the difference between his looks in VDT and SC will be a lot greater than the difference between his looks in SC and LB.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

there really is no way to film the ages perfectly like the books, anyway. because we arent on narnia time, at all. : )

• Beginte says:

I know, I worry here, too… I was really looking forward to meeting Rilian, to seeing Caspian again (my ultimate favorite from books and movies alike), and also am worried about Eustace – with how much Will Poulter grew between finishing VoDT and premiere of it, I hope it was just a typical sprout and he won’t grow so fast… But wolfloversk is right, there are plenty of ways to make him look young, from camera angling through make-up/costume to lighting. And Ben Barns is a strange case, he has some odd strengthened Dorian Gray (yes, lame pun intended) effect, not only stays young but actually gets younger still XD

• Beginte says:

Also, the more even pace of growth for Will Poulter is a good idea, too, wolfloversk! ๐Ÿ™‚ And besides, nothing is yet certain, who knows, maybe the WILL make SC first *hopes* Nothing is certain yet, from what it seems to me, everything is at a very early stage still. And even if SC is pushed for later (I don’t think HHB will jump before it though, then Will’s age would really be a problem), MN is so very enjoyable, too ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, typo in my post above, Barnes not Barns, obviously. Darn ‘e’ key, I hit it too light.

• Puddleglum says:

I have said this before, and I will just keep repeating until some media big-wig hears me.
      Why not film both at once? It has been done. We have only to look at the LOTR as an example of how well it works.

• Ashley says:

A simple, one-word answer: money. Another related answer is "confidence". They were pretty sure that LotR was gonna make a load of cash, so they didn’t mind gambling on it and putting down the money to shoot both at once. The big fear with the Narnia series seems to be that people will lose interest and the franchise will begin to lose money. With those kinds of fears, it’s obvious why they won’t gamble by putting out a whole load of money to film two parts at once. They want to do them one at a time and make sure audiences are still interested enough to make the films commercially worthwhile.

• Kristine says:

Really had my heart set on sc next as it is one of my favs. Loved will poulter and was hoping we would see him as eustace before he got too old.

• Telmarine says:

Will Poulter is NOT out of the running Eustace in Silver Chair.. if anything, this turn of events is rather practical. Had Silver Chair been the next movie (late 2012?), then Will would not reprise his role as Eustace again until potentially Last Battle, which (IF) it came out will be around 2018! Thats a 6 year gap. How wierd would that look?

• matt says:

Telmarine, you’re right. That makes a lot of sense to even out the gaps between VDT/SC and SC/LB.

AND, from a marketing perspective, I think it makes a lot of sense–MN and HHB (assuming they make both) are sort of outside the flow of the other books. It makes sense to sandwich them between the others to keep the franchise from losing its appeal.

An order of:
      1. LLW
      2. PC
      3. VDT
      4. MN
      5. SC
      6. HHB
      7. LB
      makes perfect sense.

• Snicket says:

Is the average movie go-er going to stick with the story when it jumps around in the time line like that? I doubt it. Then again, so few people even saw VODT (only made $100 million domestically) it may not even matter.

I’m thinking the only way this makes sense to me is if they do MN next, then TLB will follow directly after. They may call it good after that, or they may do more, not sure.

The sad reality is that they probably chose do to MN next because it was the cheapest of the films to do. Welcome to Hollywood in 2011.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

no way dude, it will be MORE expensive to do , with more cgi of narnia creation, taliking animals, the cabbie’s horses, lots of aslan scenes, etc. If they do this one, they can more easliy do christian outreach because it’s a more biblical story. plus Tilda is itching to do it. (yes , i am suffering from WWitch fatigue too.) It was a very savvy move, and will further protect the narnia franchise from being dropped.

• Anhun says:

@Snicket: SC introduces the character of Jill, and HHB introduces Tashism and Calormene politics. If they make LB at all, it will have to come after SC and HHB. Otherwise, they’ll have to introduce multiple, major unrelated themes coming seemingly out of left field. It’ll be a train wreck . . . well, okay, it’ll be a train wreck anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰ , but you know what I mean.

• Snicket says:

A movie about Tashism and Calormene politics!?!?!?! SNORE!! People outside this forum could care less, they cared little about an adventure story, a movie that introduces politics in Narnia would even put me to sleep.

Based on the fact that he had to go "looking" for funding doesn’t bode well for the franchise, that means Fox is really interested in cutting its losses and doing the movies for as little as possible. VODT was made for $155 (not counting the advertising) The general rule of thumb is to make a profit on a film you have to make back your budget plus x2 (some say x3) VODT made $376 so expect all remaining movies to be made for less. In this regard we are very lucky to have Fox paying the bills because they are not afraid to take some very questionable risks, it it was Disney we would be seeing the rest of Narnia straight to DVD.

• stateofgreen says:

@Anhun LOL your comments always make me laugh….witty too.

"Train wreck"….yes… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wonder now if they should now forget about the movies and make the rest updated TV versions instead and work with the BBC. Makes sense to me. Forget Hollywood.

• Reepicheep says:

Okay I’m starting to get why doing MN would make sense. Seeing Will Poulter young in SC then rapidly old in LB would be really weird. I guess evening the age is a better alternative. It would also make sense because the story of HHB is told when they’re having dinner at Cair Paravel in SC. If people saw a trailer of MN in theaters they’d be thinking ‘ooh, prequel, i’m intrigued’ that could really build up to a decent hit.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

snicket: you think a movie about the end of the world and the antichrist would be boring? huh?? how cool is that? not to mention seeing narnian heaven??!! it would be AWESOME!!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

PS -and then we find out in our world, Aslan actually looks like Ted Neeley!! SWEET!

• Writergirl says:

I agree with High Queene Shelly Belly, it would be awesome to see Revelation, Narnia form!

• Lucylove says:

I would like MN, HBB, SC, LB if they’re able to do it in that order.

• Swordebrithil12 says:

I really had my heart set on The Silver Chair next. But if this was what Moore wanted… let’s go with it. With luck Will will still be able to get into SC.

• Shastafan says:

If this is true, I feel like I want to jump for joy and cry all at the same time. I also like Will P, and I want to see him again (and I’m not worried about his age yet), but at the same time, I love MN! It’ll be very interesting to find out more about this soon (I hope)…

• skandargirl_95 says:

but case in point, he’s OLDER than me…and I’m,like, 16…it’s a bit hard to put him in if he’s older:but then again, they DID use the actors even though they’re older than what their age should be…

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

That’s certainly interesting. I don’t know if you can accept this at face value. Securing financing for a film doesn’t automatically mean that that particular film had been green-lit, nor that it’s necessarily the next one in the queue. It may be a case of "When we make ‘The Magician’s Nephew’, I’ve got an investor." That said, if I had to choose one of the remaining books to adapt as the potential last Narnia film, it would definitely be ‘The Magician’s Nephew’. It’s a beautiful story, it’s got Jadis at her genocidal prime (and we all know how much the producers love her), and I think that it’s got the most potential to attract a significant audience. If it fails to extend the series, it would be an acceptably logical narrative ending. If it’s a success, they could revert back to (with some minor difficulties, I expect) the remaining books.

Undesirable, but there’s a lot of logic to it.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

you can’t do last battle without the characters of MN BEING INTRODUCED first.

• Anhun says:

Not so much the characters. They could easily cut Polly, Frank and Helen out of LB. And the Professor was introduced in LWW. They, would, however, need MN to explain how the rings work. Basically, LB has to come last, if at all. It relies on all of the other books in the series for back story.

MN would however, provide a tidier finish to the series than HHB or SC, neither of which have a feeling of finality to them. MN would at least create a "full circle" effect. Then again, given the distinctive nature of almost all of the books in the series, and the lack of narrative flow from one book to the next, is it necessary to have a "grand finale" at the end?

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

Just to be clear, what I’m saying is, it’s very possible that ‘The Last Battle’ will never be made, and that ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ would be a viable option to conclude the film series at THIS point.

• Sub says:

I could stomach the MN being made as it could visually be a beautiful film, but I would never watch any adaption of that awful Last Battle. Badly written, badly executed, and it would need some heavy adaptation to work on the big screen. And yes it also wouldn’t work without MN being done first.

• Seiko says:

Skipping "Silver Chair" is a ridicoulous concept. They should definitely do "Silver Chair" first. There is still plently of people who will see it, provided it’s done on a 110 million dollar budget or something. "The Magician’s Nephew" following would bring in a different audience, but the idea of it being "wider" is kind of silly. Both have individual appeal. As long as one makes like 300mil (which can be an underestimate) they’ll make another.
        Fox takes forever to do anything; we should know this. DVD releases, announcements of sequels, marketing-they never announce anything quickly.

• Seiko says:

Oh I actually meant to respond to the idea of the "The Last Battle." That was a terrible story and should never be done before last (at best). Not only does it destroy Narnia and remove the point of caring at all, but it essentially follows the same formula as the 1st two, and isn’t Prince Caspian one of the least favorites as it is. Doing The Last Battle would be a disaster. "Silver Chair" and "Magician’s Nephew" are the straight-out winners here.

• skandargirl_95 says:

how can it be awful?it was a beautiful ending!it will NOT win the Carnegie award if it was awful…just imagine how much worst it would be if the end of the world happened NOW,like that 2012 movie(ugh!)

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

LB-terrrible story? it’s the only one that made me cry! and gasp out loud when someone was killed! and the majestic ending- phenominal!! you need to read a commentary on it to really get it if you weren’t moved by it- it was incredible!

"Undesirable, but there’s a lot of logic to it."

I agree with you there. I really believe SC should be made next, but if MN will work, I guess it’s better to make it next. I’m so torn, though. ๐Ÿ™ I wish the movies could be made at the same time. I don’t want Will Poulter to get any older. ๐Ÿ™

• Perspective says:

Try to contain your disappointment people. An amazing guy has died … seems like which movie is made when shouldn’t be a concern at this moment. You should take a minute and appreciate what Perry was able to accomplish and think about what his family and friends are going through. I’m sure there’s plenty of time to worry about really important things like which movie gets made and which actors are too old another day.

• faunforaslan says:

How about shooting TMN and SC at the same time? It may stretch the budget, but Will will (Ha ha) be the same age. If this is what Perry wanted, then it needs to be done. In honor of him.

• Amelia says:

Excellent idea, faunforaslan! They could shoot the films back to back… like I heard Disney is planning to do with Pirates of the Caribbean 5&6!
      I wish they would instead of waiting so long in between each film. :-S

• skandargirl_95 says:

agreed:good plan, but the flaws would be:
      1.the budget for EACH movie
      2.too much technical work for the CGI and special effects
      3.WHICH MOVIE YOU’LL WATCH FIRST IF THEY COME OUT AT THE SAME TIME

• samuel says:

3) Movies that are filmed together usually are released with a gap in the middle, I say 6 months is good.
        2) Again It’s been done before, Lord of the rings was filmed in part together, though often so the post-people wouldn’t get got bogged down, or they just split the work into two production teams.
        1) the budget for each movie should be the budget of a regular movie, a possible benefit to this would be marketing, they could save money by having one marketing budget and things like toys and products could feature more characters, think about your child getting a White Witch and a LOTGK figurine in happy meals and then they HAVE to go see BOTH films to see both characters, also might end up building anticipation for the series as a whole rather than four separate stories which might be a wise marketing move, and may offset the costs.

Trying to think like a business man and not as an artist or fan, converting LWW and PC to 3D and the rereleasing them back into the theater BEFORE release SC and MN, then HHB and LB might be good marketing, like releasing Toy Stories 1 & 2 shortly before TS3… Not saying I would want to see the beautiful LWW converted into poorly done 3D, but hey If it sells it might just help see the series continue.

• samuel says:

in point 2) where I said "though often" I meant "though offset" my bad

• Anhun says:

Wow . . . Magician’s Nephew??! The franchise has already suffered immeasurably from dealing with two hard-to-adapt books in a row, and they want to go with Magician’s Nephew, which is the hardest to adapt of them all? PC and VDT could be the basis of pretty-good movies, although they would be difficult if not impossible to translate into truly great movies. PC had a plot, but not a lot of drama or depth. VDT had depth, but it was a series of small plots, so it lacked overall coherence.

MN, with it’s focus on emotional impressions over observable movement and action; and it’s lack of any semblance of a plot, would be hard to make into even a half-way decent movie. The characters just carom about from place to place, watching loosely related events happen. If there’s one thing the film industry learned from Tron: Legacy, it’s that baffo special effects do not compensate for the lack of a story.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

in the Bible, the story of Genesis packs a pretty good punch. more so than a "let’s battle some giants" tale you can see anywhere. or evil green witch plots. the whole SC plot is really MEH. fairy tale retreads.

• Anhun says:

The comparison with the creation story in Genesis isn’t valid. For one thing, MN is not the creation story in Genesis. It’s not even the creation story of Narnia. It’s the story of two kids who travel to different worlds and ultimately witness the creation of Narnia. Therein lies the problem.

In the Bible, God, Adam, and Eve are the central figures in the creation story, and they all take part in the goings on. At the beginning of MN, Polly and Digory are set up as the central characters in MN and you develop an emotional connection to them, however they spend much of the book being spectators. Listening to Jadis tell her story, watching Jadis terrorize London, watching Aslan create Narnia, watching the animals and their antics. Polly and Digory do have an active role to play at the beginning and the end, and of course there’s nothing wrong with central characters taking a *temporary* back seat to supporting characters, but they are just too passive to work as heroes in a movie.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

Anhun, your vision of what constitutes the elements of a good film is nauseatingly formulaic. First of all, this isn’t Indiana Jones. There is no need for a "hero" to constantly initiate the advancement of the plot. That goes to the heart of the Chronicles: it’s partly about putting ordinary people, NOT "heroes", in extraordinary POSITIONS where they OCCASIONALLY make heroic (i.e., personally difficult, but morally correct) choices. Digory resists some extremely powerful temptation and retrieves the silver apple for Aslan. Heroic. Polly forgives Digory the act of violence he perpetrated upon her. Heroic. King Frank accepts Aslan’s challenge to be responsible for an entirely new civilization. Heroic. These small acts, individually, and prima facie, don’t amount to much. But, taken as a whole, they weave the moral fabric of that universe. So, there are larger forces at work in the background in this universe than square-jawed Hollywood "heroes". It’s how the characters act at the junctures where they intersect with these forces that matters. Not what they do to speed a plot along.

Of course, the "That works OK in a book, but it’ll NEVER work in a film!" argument is surely next.

The history of the cinema is replete with successful (even legendary films) that don’t meet this "active hero" criteria.

For example:

Stanley Kubrick pitches his masterpiece to Anhun:

"’2001: A Space WHAT?’ Where’s the hero?! There’s no semblance of a plot! It’s just a bunch of loosely based episodes tied together! Are you telling me the characters just sit and WATCH stuff happen for NINETY PERCENT of the film, with no dialogue?! There’s the door, Kubrick! Out! OUT!! Come back when you wanna do ‘Spartacus II’!"

I don’t mean to pick on you. You’re clearly intelligent, and you make many valid and insightful points. But, this constant mantra of "A story/film HAS to have x and y to work!" is far too rigid and defeatist. There IS no "right" or "wrong" when you’re contemplating art. For film, the ONLY salient criteria is: "Can this material be presented in a captivating and entertaining fashion given both the strengths and inherent weaknesses of this medium?". My perspective, as I have said repeatedly, is that CREATIVE filmmakers with vision enough to get to the heart of Lewis’ stories, can create both recognizable AND entertaining adaptations of these books. Your comments seem to indicate that you have very little faith in the source material to transcend paper and ink. I don’t really understand that, but, OK. Your viewpoint may, perhaps, be more practical than mine. But, cinematic practicality precludes studios from making anything but ‘Twilight’ movies until we run out of 14-year old girls.

I don’t want to live in that world.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

don’t worry, Anhun, they won’t be using the MN book as the basis for the MN movie anyway. they’re planning on using the book CS Lewis DIDN’T write. : )

• samuel says:

Very well said non. I think MN will work very well as a movie, and if they keep Michael Apted, he should definitely try and bring some of the depth and emotion from "Amazing Grace" into this, that movie portrays a man that is somewhat heroic but not all the time, he did not try to alter the story by saying that he "single handedly stopped slavery," the story is also very retrospective, something that tells a true story very realistically as well as captivatingly, and a mood that I think would work in MN. Also knowing full well that they WILL make modifications to the story, I think a good modification would be to make it more of an ensemble, giving more character to King Frank and Helen, getting to know them a little more before the start of the story, where do they come from? and the horse, and part of me thinks the old Digory should narrate the story to tie everything together, but another part thinks it would be cool if they could somehow visualize Aslan working behind the scenes, maybe to see him at the start of the film on a dark horizon, or maybe walking unseen on the streets of London (though I know book/metaphor purists will hate me for suggesting such a thing.) It would be cool if they could truly give Aslan the lead role in one of the movies, and it certainly would fit here…

I can almost hear Liam Neeson’s voice now as the Lion walks across a dark screen "Let me tell you a story… not a made up story, or a fairytale, but a very real story, that happened before all the goings back and forth between your world and Narnia, the story before all the stories…" the title appears right behind Aslans tale as he walks, and then the scene fade to the streets of london, perhaps we first see frank driving his cabby, frustrated at another day of work…

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

samuel, I agree with your observations regarding ‘Amazing Grace’. However, the problem with Michael Apted, historically, is that he seems to be as good as the script he’s given. That is, he doesn’t elevate mediocre screenwriting to be something better from his direction alone. I think that was a big problem with ‘Dawn Treader’โ€”a lot of shoulder shrugging and indifference, rather than a passionate creative force at the helm. Look for Andrew Adamson to return to the chair if ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ is, indeed, next in the queue. Adamson has made no attempt to hide his desire to make this film, and I think the producers/studios would love to have him back in that role. As much as I welcomed the change when Apted was announced, I think ‘Dawn Treader’ was a case of "right man/wrong script".

Apted is a professional, and I love many of his films, but he isn’t the sort to argue passionately over the salient points of a children’s story with the screenwriters. As much as I disliked certain aspects of Adamson’s vision for his two films, I think he got MOST things right, or close to right, and, if this is, indeed, the last kick at the can for this franchise, I can’t think of another director whom I would trust more, from the perspective of balancing commercial viability with creative fidelity, than Andrew Adamson.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i would THRILLED to have adamson back! i like the look of his films better. VDT didnt even look like it was part of the series.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

"which is the hardest to adapt of them all"

Right. As opposed to the other three remaining books. Almost half of ‘The Silver Chair’ takes place in the dark, ‘The Horse and His Boy’ is *guaranteed* to spark accusations of racism (I am not saying such accusations would be validโ€“just inevitable), and ‘The Last Battle’ is a blood-soaked, apocalyptic nightmare, that somehow has to be translated for a PG audience. But ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ is the hardest.

OK.

Anyway, I know which one I’m picking if I only have one shot left.

"…it lacked overall coherence."

I guess if you keep saying that enough (and you have, over and over and over), you’re bound to accept it as fact. I accept it as ‘wrong’.

"MN, with itโ€™s focus on emotional impressions over observable movement and action; and itโ€™s lack of any semblance of a plot, would be hard to make into even a half-way decent movie. The characters just carom about from place to place, watching loosely related events happen."

This is just more defeatist nonsense. Seriously, with that attitude, why bother even trying to adapt ANY of these books? I mean, you can spin any content in a negative fashion, if you want to. After all, this IS a children’s series that features Jesus as a talking lion getting ritualistically sacrificed in the middle of the woods, and a psychopath who murders her entire civilization out of pure spite. See how easy it is to emphasize the negative? Work WITH the material. Do NOT be DISMISSIVE of it. It’s the Creation Story BEAUTIFULLY rewritten as an endearing love letter to the fans. The narrative is simple. If anything, it’s the settings that are complex. COMPETENT filmmakers can overcome any of the inherent constraints of this story.

• Sub says:

Well, let’s face it, HHB was racist and we all know Calormen is a thinly veiled play on Coloured men. That is unfortunate as the actual story and setting I think could be interesting, but the movie would have to be made for contemporary times. Times where racism is viewed for the narrow mindedness that it is. It could be a sweeping epic, and admittedly one I’m very hopeful to see one day. I do think that MN would be easier to do than SC which really is just a meh story like The Last Battle. MN and HHB I think are the two of real value left in Narnia.

• Anhun says:

@Sub: No it isn’t. Calor means "heat", so Calormen would be like "hot land," a reference to the warm climate. Also, Aravis is supposed to have a dark complexion and she is the courageous heroine of the book. I would say the prejudice is more Anglocentric cultural prejudice, rather than racial. Given that the Calormenes have elements of Etruscan and Carthaginian culture, I think it might work best if they focus on the Etruscan elements in visualizing the Calormenes. Fewer people are likely to take it personally.

• Anhun says:

btw, I’m not saying that Anglocentric chauvinism is okay. I dislike that aspect of the book myself, but it’s not the same thing as racism.

• Shasta says:

Anhun is absolutely correct.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

@ shasta- as much as I love Anhun to pieces, s/he is NOT correct. the calormen and their country are a veiled critique of Islam – notice the takeoff of "peace be upon him" the clalormen use which in Islam is said after mentioning Muhammed. also there’s a veiled commentary on the practice of memorizing the koran in arabic, – which is portrayed in HHB as them in repeating themselves over and over in stardardized sayings.. and CS lewis felt Islam kept people poor and in bondage, and primitive, hence the portrayal of the conditions in the city. In LB , Tashlan is a warning against christians getting too tolerant of Islam, and it becoming a mashup of the two faiths: watered down Christianity and a weak willed acceptance of Islam just to keep the peace. It is nothing against dark skinned people, or european supremacy, or male chauvanism. Islam and Christianity are diametrically opposed- (christainity teaches jesus is the son of god, Islam teaches god has no son and it is insulting to Him to even suggest that.) Lewis feared Islam overpowering christianity if the christians were to clueless to recognize what was happening, a slow infiltration until the narnians (and christianity) had to fight for survival to avoid a takeover. Lewis was hugely influenced by CG Chesterton, who was very leery of Islam and predicted its resurgence and subsequent takeover over christianity. That is also predicted in the koran as their version of the end times, and many head muslims overseas are very vocal in stating that is their goal.

• Not Of This World says:

I know Lewis was not racist in HHB. I also don’t think he had the Calormans represent Islam. To me it seems like he created the Calormen to be the bad guys. And another thing, I’ve never heard anyone complaing about PC. Why isn’t it racist with the Telamrines but racist to the Calorman? Things sometimes don’t make sence.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

let me clear it up then: Telemarines= catholics Calormen= muslims. remember Lewis was anglican, and these hidden symbols reflect his ideology. it’s his veiled comment on the doctrine of each group, not them personally. (NOT racism, sexism, or any other ISM)

• Bookwyrm says:

Small problem with the Calormenes=Muslims theory. Islam is a monotheistic religion. The Calormenes had at least two deities.

• Not Of This World says:

Not my choice, but as long as their making movies, i’m good ๐Ÿ™‚

• The Inscrutable Rutabaga says:

Thanks, Louloudi the Centaur. Not sure what this will mean, yet…
    I’m praying for Mr. Moore’s family, this must be a very hard time for them.

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

Oh, you don’t need to thank me. Narnia Fans reported the story first, and since NarniaWeb hadn’t posted such a major news story yet, I decided to send it in. If either The Silver Chair or Magician’s Nephew is filmed next, I hope it’s dedicated to Perry, who helped bring the beautiful books to life.

• Luke Reynolds says:

I’m really hoping for The Magician’s Nephew and The Silver Chair being filmed at the same time. Especially since The Magician’s Nephew would be cheap (no battles!), and I really want to see more Eustace.

• samuel says:

I hope they don’t don’t MN cheaply, it would be cool if they did the destruction of charn mostly old school like Christopher Nolan’s policy on Special Effects, but the wood between the worlds, and the creation of narnia I’m sure will have to be very CG heavy

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

I hope to Aslan this is true, It will be gorgeous, thrillling, epic!! like the Ten

commandments, if they do it right. Then if they do outreach EARLY to the churches like disney organized, they’ll have a built in fan base who willl see it over and over again. If anything, it’s the hardcore purists who will shoot themselves (and the franchise) in the foot by demanding SC should have been first , and then boycott. probably the hardest people for the producers to deal with are the sticklers who don’t understand their business decisions to keep the franchise alive in " Hell-ywood."

• Greg says:

Magician’s Nephew? They should have done SC first!

• Twinimage says:

Hmmmmmm, interesting….
    Well, with VDT out now, we get to start aaaaall over again with speculation, controversy, and worry about the next film. Let’s just hope it doesn’t take as long for the next film to come out, if there is to be another one.

• DanielmyBrother says:

I like to have the Silver Chair next, but Magician’s Nephew is okay. Thanks to Perry Moore for working on getting Narnia to the screen. It was one of his great achievements. Keep his vision alive Fox and Walden Media!

• Mayor Wilkins says:

If they make "The Magician’s Nephew" next, it will be the answer to my prayers.
    I have hoped and dreamed of a "The Magician’s Nephew" film, with Tilda Swinton as Jadis OF COURSE, ever since I saw "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" in 2005.

"Magician’s Nephew" would make a beautiful film.
    We’ll have to wait and see what happens. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Sub says:

I don’t think people realize what a driving force Perry Moore [and Mark Johnson] were in trying to get Narnia to the big screen. The fact it has seen three iterations make it is a testament to that effort. I feel somewhat sadly [though admit I’m happy that my three fav books were adapted] that this might be a sign of the times and that Narnia’s day is over on the big screen. I think making the Magician’s Nephew next would have been a master stroke really. Narnia was feeling stale and SC wouldn’t have changed that formula any. MN is creatively unique and would have been a challenge but could have been epic. I say the smae for the obviously racist Colouredmen in HHB. With the Pevensies now absent, they need a strong draw of a character to bring people in. Eustace is not it. Jadis is still associated with LWW and instantly recognizable. They needed to make the next project one that will save the franchise and give the next movies a chance at happening. I’m sure it could still happen without him, but Lord knows Narnia just last a mighty warrior for its future. RIP Mr. Moore. Genuinely lovely and thoughtful man.

• Raticus says:

There’s nothing racist about the Calormene empire other than people’s own farfetched implications.

• Sub says:

Denial is a hell of a thing. I guess that wasn’t imagery of turbans and coloured people in a lot of the book artwork I’ve seen over the years. Must have been far fetched to imagine I was looking at that and not drawings of an apple. The book is a product of its time, when that sort of thing was acceptable, like being sexist. It’s far fetched for you to think otherwise.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

it’s not about race, it’s a statement against Islam. see my discourse above.

• samuel says:

Nothing racist about it, Calormen is a different country with Ideas at odds with Narnia, similar to the differences that the US had with the soviet union. The Narnians don’t "hate" for any reason, let alone because of their color of skin or race, they disagreed with their worship of tash and their endorsement of Slavery, whereas Narnian law forbid slavery, we see in LB that the "tashlan" begin selling Narnians into Calormen slavery. In a sense they had the opposite problem that we in our world had, that the "dark toned" people having slavery over the uh… narnian… creatures. Also the several of the main characters are calormen and become free narnians, the guard in the last battle for example. I think if the movie makers depicted Calormen Slavery upfront it would definitely win the audiences affection for the main characters’ plight for freedom for the duration of the film.

• samuel says:

Or more accurately the difference between Israel and Edom in the bible

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

samuel, you are thinking of american black slavery. lewis was commenting on religious slavery.

• Shasta says:

As anhun stated above, calor is latin for heat, and although some of it is diplomatically naive, to call it racist is just an excuse to vent…you need to read it again, you will see that your reaction is a product of too much coffee, and white guilt. there is no hate for dark skinned people in this book.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

correct, shasta. and nothing but sympathy for the calormen and the conditions they were stuck with.

• Queen C The Gentle says:

I would love to MN, to see how it all began.

• Northernranger says:

I don’t think I like the idea of having this one next. It would be confusing to have the MN and then go on to the SC. I get the feeling that they are doing this one just because they like it better and are not looking at which one would be better for the public.

• Rob W. Case says:

I thought that too… at first. But then I got to thinking. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the highest grossing movie of the entire Narnia franchise. That said, it was the most popular. The Magician’s Nephew adds context and is a prequel to LWW. Now, what that means is that the two most powerful personalities would have a larger role which I think would help the franchise significantly. Tilda Swinton is market tested. She is a powerful personality and an ultra-powerful force in this franchise. This would call for her return with a role about as large as LWW. Then of course you would have Liam Neeson. With those two powerful personalities, one would sort of have to see this movie to be able to acquire more dimension and context to LWW. I think the idea here is that these points would then translate into interest and generate the sales needed to proceed to go further with the Narnia franchise. Let me say it another way. If people saw the LWW and liked it (the "New Testament" of the Narnia franchise), then people will have more of an interest to see MN (the "Old Testament" of the Narnia franchise), and together they would make this bigger and deeper story that would generate the sales needed to proceed with The Silver Chair and perhaps maybe even the others. The order of this franchise is being strategized by how they think the sales will translate. That, I think, is the essence of what what Michael Apted meant late last year when he was talking about how making the other movies would be challenging.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

as evidenced by the grosses, the public liked LWW better than VDT, so serving the public would be to make the prequel to LWW than the sequel to VDT. they’ll get to it anyway later.

• sam says:

It really would be cool if they could do these simultaneously, in might be a good idea for cross promotion, the continuation of the story and the prequel, then do the same with LB and HHB, continuation and a "prequel." Though I know that’s a big commitment that Fox probably doesn’t want to make, it would be possible to tie the storylines together, old digory telling the story of MN and then being in LB, and then having shasta (introduced in LB) then narrating the story of HHB

• lady polly says:

don’t make the magician’s nephew next,make the silver chair next

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

NOOOO. This is probably really early speculation, though. Like the early leaked VDT script. My guess is they really will go for SC first, though, ESPECIALLY because WILL POULTER IS 18 already.

Plus, people will already recognize him. It’s not necessarily smart to jump to MN with all new people (excluding Jadis) to carry the story when Eustace has already had a good setup. Also, HHB and MN sandwiched together isn’t TOO problematic because HHB features the Pevensies again and I feel like the team will probably try to feature them more heavily in the film than they were in the book.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

yeah, hope they feature pevensies again, except maybe skandar won’t cooperate. says he’s sick of acting.

• narnianheart says:

Magicians Nephew is one of my least favorite, but if that’s the one that will keep it going. I’m all for it. I will force myself to like it if i have to. There is no way, the trilogy can end right now. It seems like they just got started. I would really prefer Silver Chair. But i’m flexible…lol

*crosses fingers*

• Thyservant says:

That’s good news no matter what they’re going to make next. I don’t think Will Poulter’s age is a problem because they can change the setting of the characters’ age in SC to the similar age of Peter in PC film. What is different is that Aslan doesn’t tell Eustace and Jill that they are not coming back because they are already dead in their last visit to the Old Narnia. So we can just enjoy the prequel first and wait for the grown-up version of Eustace and Jill in SC. Personally, in SC, I prefer that they are MORE THAN good friends. Some subtle affection between them could be added and presented in a touching way in the dancing at the end of SC.

• Thyservant says:

Also, I don’t know which will cost more, the CGI or the real landscape? Apparently, MN is more of the CGI while SC is more of the latter. So if MN can bring back stars and cost next, you know, as MN doesn’t have many ‘realistic’ locations, it may be more beneficial for the films to go on.

• ajSilver X says:

Thought for the first reason that SC will be next to be made. Then now this report says that Perry Moore had secured funding for MN. No idea what does this means Maybe his prreparing to make MN next and not SC. it’s great but, it’s a big problem for will poulter’s age. For they are doing the series in their publication order. Well whatever happens this means that MN will be made? Oh it’s up to the Narnia-production Team.

• Peter the Magnificant says:

This in a way I s odd I could see it happening on both sides. At this point I’m going to lean which ever way takes us to a 4th production of a narnian film. I do remeber when prince caspian was green lit not a week after the LWW release I hope we can have another one made but what ever the outcome at least we had 3 great ones

• claireyy says:

oh weeelll, although i wanted sc next mn is fine too; i liked the story very much.
    i just want another narnia flim to watch!!!!

• Peter the Magnificant says:

I’m agree with you claireyy, I just want to see another narnian fil. I hope this isn’t the last one but like I said in my last post its better to have three then 0 still I’m hoping there will be a 4th installment

• -centaur- says:

Well…that was unexpected. I was very excited to see SC, as it is my favourite of the books.
    However, having read glumPuddle’s previous headline about which movie they should make next, I can see the logic behind this move. To quote gP
    "Which would attract more viewers, a LWW prequel or a VDT sequel?"
    Agreed, glumPuddle. Although, again, I was really looking forward to SC, if this is the best move for the franchise, go for it.

• Not Of This World says:

I know why they are doing MN instead of SC. They want to give Ben Barnes time to get older and grow a white beard ๐Ÿ™‚ Just jokeing

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I still think they should do Silver Chair next, I’m really looking forward to that.

• LucyMyHero says:

It would make more sense to do Silver Chair next , but it can be really good to make Magicians Nephew next. I am crazy about the whole series and does not really matter what they do next as long as they are actually be able to do it.

• Ted C says:

Good to see everyone on here showing "patience and restraint". One other thing, someone actually posted that Horse and His Boy is racist. I say, give me a break.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

Oh my gosh, really? whatever message C.S. Lewis was trying to convey in HHB, i doubt it is racist. Even if it was, IF, HHB had even the slightest racisim references and it was made a movie, I’m sure Walden Media/Fox/ whoever the heck is making the movies in the future will do all they can to smooth it over. I strongly agree with you, though, Ted C. However, people are allowed to have their opinions so… i guess i can’t really argue w/ whomever posted saying HHB was racist. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Puddleglum says:

I believe the reference is to Lewis’s statements about the Calormen’s dark skin color. I noticed that the VODT did not show any calormen( at least non that I saw) probably for the very worry that it would be deemed "offensive".

• Narniamaniac says:

Wow, that is extremely surprising! I would’ve never thought they would make The Magician’s Nephew next. I was really looking forward to seeing The Silver Chair come to life as a movie, but oh well. I’m sure MN will be good too.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

This is really off topic but I had to say this. Does anyone else remember how Georgie Henley said she didn’t want to be a model like Emma Watson? Well, haha ,she lied. I found pictures of her at a recent fashion show, modeling. And then found these pics that seen a little on the odd side.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

I hope georgie doesn’t turn out to be another paris hilton type twit. her saying she just LOVES FASHION kind of disturbed me.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

*groans* really, Georgie??? it’s okay to love fashion, but u don’t have to go out of ur way to be a model, for Aslan’s sake! you’re such a talented actress ๐Ÿ™

thnxs for posting Queen Elizabeth, it’s okay, i don’t mind it being random ๐Ÿ˜‰

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

*gagging noises* so scared of the first pic, i didn’t even want to LOOK at the second one ๐Ÿ˜›

• Not Of This World says:

I must say those pictures are rather scary. Very, very, very creepy.

Common Georgie! What in the world was that for?

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I still love her and all, but when I saw these I was shocked. The one of her up-close face, makes her look old and like she had been partying or something. If she was madeling for like Kohls or Target or something that would be ok, because they aren’t wearing SUPER heavy makeup. And the clothes that "models" wear are sometimes in-appropriate. I wish she wouldn’t do any more. I hope "Hollywood" isn’t making the wrong impact on her.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

i know what you mean, Queen of England. it’s just after seeing those pics i was like "Um…Georgie?" she is so beautiful, and in my opinion, all the makeup made her look really trashy and ugly. That doesn’t change the fact that she’s beautiful, though, after all, make up washes off, but impressions don’t.
        Not that the stuff she was wearing was innappropriate, actually it wasn’t even that stylish in my opinion, it was actually really weird and mismatched and ugly. but the make up and hair was what scared me the most, it was like a 15 year old version of lady gaga or something… ๐Ÿ˜›
        Anywho, i still love Georgie too, it’s just kind of sad to see her like that.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

it’s all that artsy-fartsy stuff, where the uglier you are, the cooler you seem. absurd. plus georgie doesn’t have the right face for that effect anyway. it just made her look silly.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I agree she looks so pretty naturally. All that makeup made her look like a doll.

• Not Of This World says:

That second picture makes her look like a cross between Lady gaga and a ninja. I hope shes not becoming another stuck up-crazy Hollywood person who loses their way.

• T.T says:

@Queen Elizabeth, yeah, u are off the point of discussion so u can point out the fact that georgie lied which is clearly wrong because:
      1, Georgie did not lie. she said she was flattered when she was described as the next emma watson then she went on to say that she doubts if she could be a model because she (Georgie) loves to eat lots of food.
      2, She is not a preset robot/ machine, she has something called a mind and this can change.
      Georgie is a wonderful actress who has brought lucy to life on screen despite various challenges for your entertainment, and you repay her by going out of your way and off the point of discussion to prove she lied which infact is not true. So queen elizabeth, NEWS FLASH: YOU ARE THE LIAR!!! GO BURY YOUR FACE IN THE MUD.
      And for the rest of you who contributed to this petty gossip,please stop it. if you have an issue/problem with someone, talk to them about it. if you can’t, don’t go about talking about it to everyone. learn to be quick to praise than to blame.
      P.S:queen elizabeth, please change your name, you are not worthy of it. real queens don’t lie.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

we apologize, T.T, to you and to Georgie as well,
        what she wants to do with her life is not up to us to decide. What you said about being quick to praise rather than blame is totally true, and even if her hair and makeup is not my taste, I like the stripey shirt thingy she’s wearing ๐Ÿ™‚
        And while maybe it was not right to criticize her so much, we were concerned about her, and perhaps we took it to far, and i apologize for that too.
        HOWEVER, i would also like to point out that telling someone to "bury their face in the mud" and change their name because they "are not worthy of it" is just as bad and judgemental.

• T.T says:

@Reepicheep’s fan girl, I am sorry for being quite harsh but I did it purposely so u guys can actually feel how bad Georgie might feel if she read this and stop being judgemental.I am not trying to justify what I did. It was the wrong way to drive my point home and I am saying sorry to you all. Besides, you do not need to say sorry to me, you did not hurt me in any way.

• T.T says:

@Reepicheep’s fangirl, I am sorry for being quite harsh but I did it purposely so u guys can actually feel how bad Georgie might feel if she read this and stop being judgemental.I am not trying to justify what I did. It was the wrong way to drive my point home and I am saying sorry to you all. Besides, you do not need to say sorry to me, you did not hurt me in any way.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

Thank you for apologizing, I appreciate it. Thank you for helping me, at least, realize the fact that judging people is hurtful. Next time, however, you could just point that out, instead of trying to do the same exact thing on purpose.
        Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

it is a stretch to say she LIED. i just love georgie and hope she doesn’t get infected by hollywood and the shallow twit girl syndrome.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Wow I didn’t mean to sound crude. I am totaly fine with people’s opinion on the matter. But being a jerk at me is not going to make me change me opinion to yours.

• Hwin says:

Wow, I guess I should not be surprised, but I am! Although this is not absolutely certain, of course. I do not mind too much which one they do next, but SC is my favorite book, and Will Poulter is SUCH an Eustace Clarence Scrubb that it would be a shame if for some reason he would not be able to return to the role.

Patience is a virtue. . . ๐Ÿ˜‰ (and something I need right now!)

• Lady of the Green Kirtle says:

Personally I would have preferred SC to be next, but I guess the film makers felt MN would do better in the box offices (frankly, as much as I hate to admit it, they’re probably right about that.) This could actually be really good for the franchise, because if MN does do well it could open the door for funding of future Narnia movies. On the other hand this will break up the plot line, making it harder for people to follow along, but if this could lead to the rest of the series being made into movies, then I’d say that in this case the ends justify the means.

• Mikey says:

Assuming this is true, then it’s good because it means they aren’t going to just feature the same four stories that the BBC did way back when. It would be nice to see all seven if possible and it wouldn’t matter what order they are released in because when/if the come out on dvd you can watch them in whatever order you like…

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

i don’t know if this makes me feel better or worse about, well, everything….
    i just hope we get to see Will Poultler again ๐Ÿ™

• Not Of This World says:

I think that they should do SC next. I can’t wait to see MN, but SC is the logical move. Will Poulter will get older and people who havn’t read the books will be left hanging with the question, "Where is Eustace?"

• Embrace says:

A total mistake to make The Magicianโ€™s Nephew! They must do The Silver Chair and The Last Battle! I want more Eustace and lots of lovely Jill! Perhaps they can make them both at same time? They will need completely different actors anyway.

• Writergirl says:

It would be interesting to see MN. I had wanted to see SC first, but thuis works.

• Writergirl says:

Plus seeing creation would be AWESOME!!! And they have to introduce MN characters before LB. They could do SC then MN then LB, but Eustace and Jill would have a age gap between SC and LB.

• Writergirl says:

And you couldn’t do SC, LB, then MN, because you would have already seen the end(LB) and MN probably wouldn’t have a big box office appeal.

• Telmarine says:

I’m one of the few people that endorsed doing Magician’s Nephew before Silver Chair.. I’m glad Fox is listening to me ๐Ÿ˜›

• Mayor Wilkins says:

"Magician’s Nephew" is the best possible choice for the next film. ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Having read it several times over, it is, in my opinion, the most like "LWW" in the remaining chronicles. And not just because it includes The White Witch. I mean in the general tone of Lewis’s voice and the way in which the story is told. It felt more like "LWW" to me than any of the others. That’s just my personal opinion. But if that same familiar feeling from the novel translates onto the screen, it will be wonderful.

And yes, I will confess that I am, as many of you can guess by now, a huge fan of The White Witch. Especially as personified by Tilda Swinton. Tilda has such enthusiasm for this. She would totally rock "The Magician’s Nephew." Can you imagine her in London swinging the lamp post bar around? Oh wow. I’ve imagined Tilda doing various bits of this novel for years. She will probably exceed my imagination and just own this film. ๐Ÿ˜€
      I strongly support "Magician’s Nephew" next. I have prayed for it and hoped for a very long time. ๐Ÿ˜€

• ajSilver X says:

According to Aslanscountry.com website, yes, they said too that Perry Moore had secured funding for Magician’s Nephew long before his death and Magician’s Nephew was also said that it will be green-lit. In other news, Dawn Treader has won awards again! This includes: The most inspiring movie of 2010 in the 19th annual Awards Gala, and for winning one of the best Movie for Families. That was all according to Aslanscountry.com! And still hoping to see Narnia 4 in cinemas even if it will going to be Magicians Nephew or Silver Chair. Further In!

• ajSilver X says:

oh I almost for got that there is a New International Christian Narnia Site! The site is being held by WEA or Aorld Evangelical Alliance ebcouraging people to watch the movie and the books!

• Not Of This World says:

Is the greenliting official?

• ajSilver X says:

I have no idea if the greenliting is official. But for some great news, Dawn Treader film has 5 new nomianations! This includes: Best Fantasy film, Best performance by a younger actor (for Will Poulter), Best costume (by Isis Mussenden, Best visual effects-Angus Bickerton, Barrie Helmsley (The Chronicles of Narnia: The – Voyage of the Dawn Treader) (20th Century Fox),by Saturn Awards nominations. And best performance in a featured film-VDT’s Georgie Henley, Skander Keynes, Will Poulter by the Young Artist Awards! Their category is called โ€œYoung Ensemble Cast.โ€ All was once again is from Aslanscountry.com! Hope That Dawn Treader will win this nominations! Silver Chair or Magician’s Nephew-Further IN!

• Not Of This World says:

That’s awesome!

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

wow……lots of speculation, i can tell just by simply skimming through the comments! ๐Ÿ™‚

• ajSilver X says:

"There is a list," Johnson revealed to MTV News of a group of dream directors being eyed to bring the fourth Narnia book, "The Silver Chair," to the big-screen. That was according to http://moviesblog.mtv.com/tag/silver_chair/. Mark Johnson is planning to have Silver Chair to the big-screen for the fourth installment of Narnia movie while long before Perry Moore’s death he had scured funding for the Magician’s Nephew. Let’s hope for the future of Narnia films to make them as series or Chronicles in the Big-screen.

• Not Of This World says:

Today is a special day. VDT opens up in Japan!

• Writergirl says:

I’m taking a poll. Reply with an answer. Would you rather see MN or SC next?

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I support "Magician’s Nephew," as I said above.
      Definitely the best possible choice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Forget the publication order. ๐Ÿ˜›
      Put it this way– A prequel to "LWW" ( MN ) would likely be better received than a sequel to "VOTDT" ( SC ).

• Shasta says:

M.N., it is likeliest to continue healing the franchise after P.C.

• Puddleglum says:

Silver Chair. Most definitly, Adamantly, without a doubt, my final choice.
      I am a bit biased, of course.

• Seiko says:

I would love to see SC and MN, but I have to vote for The Silver Chair. Roles need to be reprised from Dawn Threader. The story has it’s own "White Witch" called "The Lady Of The Green Kirtle," and it has a functioning, modern-day "dark" atmosphere. It would also cost less.
      Magican’s Nephew is good too but there is no reason not to wait for after Silver Chair. Dawn Threader has already made over 378mil on a 140mil budget. I’d say with 110mil the Silver Chair would at least make 300-320 mil at the box office.

• Avra says:

THE SILVER CHAIR. 100%. absolutely. I can not believe this.Honestly,if they have to recast Eustace because they decided to make MN first I’m going to scream!

• Not Of This World says:

Silver Chair all the way!

• Dancinginrain says:

I have no idea how everything is going to turn out really. lets say first I hate fox. they ruined Eragon and Percy Jackson both which was a perfectly fine book and they ruined it. Fox, about ruined dawn treader. I am leaning on (unless will p. will still play eustace) MN. but then I’ve read the books, it would be easy for us to follow. Others that haven’t might scratch their heads when they hear about it. It’s horrible that Perry Moore died, It seems that He wanted MN. But if they do MN and they "say" that they have to get a new eustace, then I might just see it once then forget about SC. That happened to "the return of the mummy 3" when they replaced the guys wife, it was irritating.
    I therefore support SC and MN. I Don’t care really,BUT as I’ve said…Only if they keep Will.

• Luis heroe says:

yeah MN!!! But Peter Jackson should direct all of Narnia movies. Michael Apted is boring and is bad to make movies

• Minime6283 says:

WHAT!?!?!? BY THE TIME OF LAST BATTLE THEY’LL NEED ALL NEW ACTORS!!!!!!!!

• Cross Trainer says:

Not necessarily, they can use the same technology they used in Benjamin Button and the fact that in Narnia age doesn’t really matter. When everyone gets to the real Narnia they don’t all have to be young, more like "in their prime" which can come across however on the screen :c)!!

• Mayor Wilkins says:

"Magician’s Nephew would be far more appealing to those out there who loved "LWW" but were not so fond of the others. It tells the origin of Narnia, the Wardrobe, and The White Witch (and the lamp post, although that is a small detail ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). Because it ties directly into "LWW," it probably has a greater chance of being commercially successful.

Plus, it is a much more colorful story of creation. I’d prefer a story with a lot of color to one that is darker. I hate that everything has to be "darker" these days. Didn’t they learn their lesson about that with "Prince Caspian???" How many times did someone say…..

"It’s a darker story." or…
    "It’s definitely darker" or….
    "It’s more mature" …..
    "Narnia is a more savage world than they remember…"

How well did it work then? Not very. ๐Ÿ˜›

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

It’s been about a week since this was reported, but now I give my thoughts. I would actually be fine with either MN or SC next. Some people would say Will Poulter would be too old if MN was done next, but the SC movie could explain it had been a couple of years since Eustace’s return to Narnia(contrary to the book’s one year). And MN could, like others say above, be a more magical adventure than SC, and audiences might still be in shock from PC and see a magic reboot. Either film, I hope, is dedicated to Perry Moore.

• Sword says:

Well, I understand the thinking behind it, but I still don’t like it.

• Christ's girl says:

I <3 MN and SC. I don’t care which is made next!

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry