Why is Walden Making ‘Magician’s Nephew’ Next?

Posted March 22, 2011 10:57 am by fantasia_kitty

The Christian Post caught up with Micheal Flaherty to talk to him about the future of the Narnia films. Flaherty confirmed that Walden plans to make The Magician’s Nephew as the fourth Narnia movie (which we already knew) and that they’re currently in talks with Fox and the C.S. Lewis Estate about it.

But what was interesting was one of the reasons he listed as to why they were making The Magician’s Nephew next instead of The Silver Chair.

Looking ahead, Walden Media believes The Magician’s Nephew has the potential to be a blockbuster hit like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because it is the second most popular book in the Narnia series.

Flaherty explained that box office performance for Narnia films appears to mimic the amount of people’s interest in the books.

“What’s interesting is that the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe over this period of time sold twice as many books as Prince Caspian and it did twice as much at the box office. Prince Caspian sold a third of the books as Dawn Treader and did a third at the box office,” he noted.

“So while it’s not always a correlation between books to film, so far with these first three films, it has been.”

The full story is available here.

• TheValiantLucy says:

I do not have a problem with them doing this one next, actually I prefer it. I just think it is going to be hard to get the word out that this is not in chronological order.

Yeah, there will be a lot of explaining to do. That’s one of my main concerns, besides the fact that Will Poulter is growing up fast. :/

• carolyn says:

yeah i do agree that eustace scrubb is going fast

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

He’s already 18. By the time they film SC he might be 20. That’s very problematic…especially considering they have to cast a Jill who is close to his age. :/

• Christ's girl says:

To Alambil and Tarvis: Actually, it wouldn’t be that hard to cast a Jill. Jill is supposed to be shorter than Eustace according to according to LB.

• Patrick says:

I dont think it will be that much of a problem, not being in order. Star Wars seemed to do ok as I’m sure The Hobbit will.

• samuel says:

I don’t know about that, at least with star wars it was publicly known that the "first three" was actually the "last three" chronologically, also with them making all of the LOTR’s and then 2 movies out of the "prequel" doesn’t seem as drastic as doing 3 movie chronologically, jumping back in time to do a prequel, jumping back into the chronology to do SC and LB and then jumping back into the midst of the first story to do HHB… on the other hand, C.S. did write them as separate stories without a preconceived "order," so maybe if they treat each story individually, it might work out better

• Mayor Wilkins says:

The order of these stories does not matter as much as "Star Wars" or "LOTR."
        Explaining that it is a prequel can be done very easily in the trailers.
        BEFORE the Lion
        BEFORE the Wardrobe
        There was…. "The Magician’s Nephew."
        If they emphasize that it came BEFORE LWW in the trailers, the problem is solved.
        Also phrases like "See how Narnia began" or "Witness the creation of a magical world." List goes on and on. It really shouldn’t be that hard.

The challenge will be going back to "SC" and explaining that that ISN"T a prequel.

• Not Of This World says:

With Star Wars, they did 4, 5, 6 and then 1, 2, 3. They didn’t go 4, 6, 5, 1, 3, 2. So there was an order. I realize with Narnia there’s no problem with book order, but when they are going book order, then throw in a random book, that will mess up people that havn’t read the books. That’s one of my two concerns with them doing MN next. But I trust God’s will will be done as the movie He wants made next.

• stephenb=#1narniafan says:

Well as long as people go and see it right. I don’t think most people will weather it’s in chronological order or not.

• Austra says:

I personally am VERY glad that they are making MN next. My only concern is: Will Poulter might be too old by the time they get to SC. On the other hand, it seems to me that Will is most likely not going to be growing much more, and so my concerns might be for naught. So overall, I personally think that the choice they are making is a very excellent one. And even if they were doing it just for the money, it doesn’t make much difference, they’re making the right choice. And doing it for the sake of money isn’t that bad of an idea anyway. They have to be sensible, and we must remember that if they don’t think about the money, no other movies will be forthcoming.

• Noelle says:

I don’t know if anyone feels the same as I do, but HHB is my favorite book and it’s the one I most want to see made into a movie. I love Aravis, Shasta, Bree and Hwin! MN is my second favorite though, but I hope people don’t get mixed up about the order when they make this one next instead of SC. I guess they had to find some place to put it because it really is first in chronological order…

• Anhun says:

I can’t wait to see HHB on film! If they had announced HHB as Narnia 4, I would have been dancing with joy. πŸ˜€

Though, if they had announced SC, I would still be pleased. I’m interested to see what Walden would do with that. With the right cast, script, visual design, and marketing, it has the potential to attract casual or new fans and become really popular, as well. Even though Jill is very different from Hermione Granger, she could easily fill the void of strong fantasy heroines left by the ending of the HP series. If SC did well, that could pave the way for future Narnia films, including HHB.

• Austra says:

I totally agree with you there. I personally think that HHB would do really well in the theatres. And I would really like to play Aravis. πŸ˜‰

• Jane says:

HHB is totally the most awesome book in the series, though there are few who share my opinion. πŸ˜‰
        I’m actually quite disappointed that they are making The Magician’s Nephew instead of The Silver Chair next. While it may bring in more viewers, it’s totally messing up the order. And Will Poulter is going to be too old by the time they start shooting The Silver Chair.

• Anhun says:

I don’t see how MN would bring in more viewers. I wouldn’t be nearly as upset about the choice if I did. You could certainly argue the point that MN has more of a built-in fan base (people who’ve read the book and want to see a film of it, and avid fans of Tilda Swinton). But none of the Narnia films left have nearly enough of a built-in fanbase to make back a massive budget. If they can’t attract and entertain casual fans and new fans, the movie will flop. Silver Chair and HHB, if well-made, are dramatically more likely to become popular with the casual fans. If they get a really charismatic actress for Jill and she has good chemistry with Eustace, I can picture audiences clamoring for Silver Chair 2 πŸ˜› (okay that might be a bit of a stretch).

• Lil says:

I wanted Silver Chair to be made next. Mainly because I am afraid that Will Poulter will be too old to play Eustace, but also because of the whole Jill name drop at the end of Dawn Treader. To me, it makes more since to keep it chronological. But I also understand their reasoning for making Magician’s Nephew. *sigh*

• lady polly says:

the magician’s nephew is my favorite,but i would really rather them make the silver chair next.

• Narnian Meerkat says:

SO practically they are just making it so they can get MONEY. Ooooof course.

• Ian says:

Well. If an audience wants more films, money is the only thing that’s going to provide them. Therefore, I think this is probably the more economical move for the creation of the entire series.

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

I think this is actually the worst economical move. MN is the slowest of the books and possibly the most difficult to adapt to film, followed by VDT. They already tackled a huge hurdle trying to make VDT into a linear-plotted 2-hour movie; it’s going to be harder filling in the gaps with MN. I say make it easier for themselves and go for SC first and then tackle the hurdle of MN later on when they’ve had a break from adapting un-adaptable books. Otherwise we’re going to see a drop in the profit the films make.

Also, AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO IS CONCERNED ABOUT THE ISSUE OF WILL POULTER’S AGE???? They DO know he’s already 18, right?

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

Sorry Alambil and Tarvis. I’d say that the MN is probably slow in the way your saying (no battles or anything). But think of the suspense! The dread of Uncle Andrew,the terror of Jadis, and the teptation. The darkness, the magic rings, the mystery of undiscovered worlds,. I would have to say that MN has more going for it than VDT ever did (in the book or movie). All I can say is-that MN might be a little freaky and dark, but lightened by Aslan and morals that are within the story.(:

• Austra says:

I definitely agree with "Aslan’s #1 Fan": All that stuff makes MN one of the three most thrilling books. My opinion is that HHB and LB have a lot of thrill too, because after all, HHB has all that daring escape and travel across desert and battles, and LB has the END OF THE WORLD! Those three are my fave books: LB, MN, HHB.

• Tauriel says:

Well, OBVIOUSLY they want to make more money. Did you think film studios are some sort of charity that just give book fans whatever they want? Don’t be naive.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

These films are expensive!!!
        The cheapest of them was VDT, which I believe cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 155 Million Dollars. 155. That was the cheapest. Money is necessary to keep this machine going. They can’t just make the films to make them. They also need to think about the profit. They have bills and people to pay. They have family’s to feed. It’s a fun business, sure. But it is a business.

• Lucy says:

I wanna see who they cast for Digory and Polly. It’s very exciting since Polly has never been seen on sceen (or even in the tv BBC versions) before. Nor, come to think of is, has YOUNG Digory.

• burgerjohnson says:

I’m actually okay with it, as long as it helps keep interest in the series alive, and each movie is self-contained enough to be able to watch in chronological order.

• ANΓ“NIMO says:

marisa sera jill pole en la silla de plata

• will says:

Great! This gives me the opportunity to do concept art for SC when I’m out of art school! πŸ™‚ Just a little dream of mine.

Personally, I’m thrilled that they want to continue making the films, but I do hope that they get more serious about the next one. Dawn Treader was a bit of a let down in many ways.

But I will definitely see MN if it comes out!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

just curious- in which ways did you feel let down-

• reep says:

they made up there own plot for the book which is so off. Theirs no mist taking over Narnia in the book. in the book there just looking for the lords not saving Narnia from an evil mist. that’s what disappointed me with VDT.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

agreed, reep. and you, Will?

• Patrick says:

Personally I could be happier. I like all the books but this is my favourite and since the film have been coming out I read it again just recently and thought β€œI hope the make this movie” all we need now is Tilda Swinton to reprise her role as the white which and Jim Broadbent for the end scene as professor Kirke, which will of course lead us in to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

• Aslan's Girl says:

Hmmm…. I’m not sure it’s safe to say that the money made off of a movie is directly proportional to the popularity of the book in question. Ah well… although I personally would rather see SC, HHB, THEN MN, I’m very thankful that they’re continuing the series at all πŸ™‚ Praise God!! I hope that they will stay true to the themes of this one!!
    Further up and further in!
    Aslan’s Girl <3

• Alaisdair says:

I think with the visual effects ability we have these days this will be AMAZING! and because it will focus on the 2 characters audiences love the most The W.Witch & Aslan! I think it was people’s biggest quam with VDT lack of Aslan. I think if they get Tilda it will just be AMAZING!

• lilims says:

Ah I want Silver Chair! If they make MN my friends won’t go watch it :/

• Moonwood says:

nobody believes that someone who takes the time to comment on this site won’t see MN. not only will you see it several times, but you will buy the DVD ( if only to complain about it more ) and all of your FRIEND’S friends will see it as well.

• Anhun says:

You can keep saying that, but it doesn’t make it true. There are narniawebbers who didn’t go to see VDT, for various reasons.

CoN is a very uneven series both in the fundamental quality of the books, and in their cinematic potential. While there are some NWers who have an unquestioning love for all things Narnia, there are others who love some of the books but not others. Others absolutely love the books, but hate some of the movies.

• Austra says:

I know I will go see it in the theatres at least twice, not only to see how good it is but (sorry if this sounds a little weird) I feel very strongly about the Narnia series (having grown up on it as a child) and I want to make sure they’re doing a good job with the movies.

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

NOOOOOOOO. πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ Will SC ever get made, then??? I SMELL A PETITION BREWING

• Farsight-mssngr says:

What a big great news for us NARNIA FANS! but when this film will be released? and they will start to make this film?

• Kezzie says:

I think they’re just really keen on using Tilda Swinton. Again. She managed to get into PC and VotDT… don’t remember that in the books.

• samuel says:

The WW was almost in PC (book) with a real spiritual lesson behind it… as for VOTD the way they did it simply echoed the sentiments of PC. With the pevensies gone I don’t see how they the could conceive of bringing her into SC, even less into HHB, and I can imagine them bringing her in front of Aslan at the last judgement in LB, to sort of complete her "extended" story arc

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Tilda could appear in LB along with Tash…. if they really wanted to do that.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

just leaked: it has been revealed the white witch was just TASH IN DRAG. therefore, the part of Tash in LB will be portrayed by-TILDA SWINTON

I doubt it. πŸ˜›
        But she might appear along with Tash.

• Trufflehunter!! says:

acctually, people thought that the witch from SC and the WW might be the same witch, so they could put her in SC

• Mayor Wilkins says:

This is in response to an earlier comment. I thought I’d post it here so that more folks could read it. Understand I am not suggesting this was the point the movie was trying to make. What I’m doing is simply taking what they’ve given us, and interpreting it in my own way. Maybe I’m off base. But this is how I interpret the Green Mist.

The Green Mist is not actually The White Witch. From my point of view, VDT had a new villain. And perhaps the most powerful and terrible villain of all. But we never actually saw him physically (thank goodness–that would be too horrible to think of anyway).

The Green Mist is probably The Devil, or at least, a visual symbol of his presence.
    Just a theory. Douglas Gresham said that the mist was a visual symbol of the nature of Narnia reacting to the evil. Evil is so foreign to Narnia that the world makes it visible so you can see that the evil is there. Well, the Devil would probably be so foreign to Narnia that he causes his presence there to ooze out a green mist. So that Narnians can see they are in danger of being tempted.

Consider the following:

* The Green Mist knew both Lucy and Edmund’s fears/temptations/inner-most desires almost as well as Aslan (even on earth).

* The Green Mist is raw evil. It isn’t even a living thing, it’s pure darkness. There’s only one being in scripture that could possibly match such a thing. Further, The Green Mist could not understand good emotion, nor could it grasp when the heroes didn’t give in. This is evident when the White Witch said "Just give in" with some irritation. It could not understand why the temptations didn’t work.

* Think of color psychology. In the Middle Ages, green was considered the color of calamity and evil, and was associated with the Devil himself.

* Taking souls. A lot of people here say that The Green Mist taking the slaves from the Lone Island makes no sense. In my view, they are right. But only because it makes no LOGICAL sense. The assumption is that there was a concrete reason to take these lost souls away. You would be wrong. There is no concrete reason that would make sense to humanity.

The Green Mist was taking the souls from the Lone Island slave traders and terrorizing the Lone Islands because it could. Simply because it was evil. There’s no other reason. I know that might sound odd, but pure evil needs no logical reason to commit evil acts. Purely evil things likely do evil for evil’s sake. To me, that kind of evil you can’t understand is very frightening. The Devil is sometimes depicted as a collector of innocent souls. Souls are collected mostly for the sake of collecting.

* As the White Witch is Satan’s "Lawful prey," he uses her image to personify Edmund’s temptation. This is in keeping with what Douglas Gresham told us about the witch’s character. The Devil isn’t stupid. He’s not gonna tempt you with ugly things. The Devil dresses up his temptations in beauty. So Jadis is a visual symbol of Satan’s favorite temptations. This would explain why he used her image. To put it in simple, fun language, Satan "Owns the rights" to the soul of The White Witch. He can use her whenever he wants. This is probably why he used her shape the most often.

* Free will. We are given the free will to chose between good and evil. Never once was The Green Mist able to force any of the characters into evil. It had to tempt them. Satan’s ability to do evil on earth and in Narnia seems to be dependent on the free choice of the world’s creatures.

* "That old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world."
    Interesting that a sea serpent attacked the ship. And what was the serpent made up of? When Lucy shot her arrow into it, you could see Green Mist coming off of it. When Caspian chopped off part of its jaws, the piece evaporated into Green Mist. The serpent was the physical form of the mist. The serpent has long been considered one of the most common shapes of the devil. What color was the serpent? Green.

* Aslan’s power smote the serpent down.— I think that’s enough said. The devil remains no match for God.

So basically, in my own view, The Green Mist is a visual indicator of Satan’s presence in Narnia. He is not shown, but he uses representatives. We see his temptations personified as The White Witch (likely one of his most favorite evildoers in Narnia) and we see the raw, ugly terror of his wrath personified in The Sea Serpent. However, the serpent is bested through the faith and honor of the crew. And ultimately it is cast down by Aslan’s good magic and the holiness of his table.

However…. I believe that the evil is not done. It will do its work through another witch. And I don’t have to tell you who that is. But to me, The Green Mist is perhaps the most terrifying and most powerful of all the films villains thus far.

• Arvan says:

Heavens no! The mist wasn’t destroyed by Aslan, but by Eustace! Didn’t you see it! *sarcasm*

• Lucy says:

Hey now! Didn’t YOU see the movie? Or maybe you were too busy judging it. Who turned Eustace back into a boy and put him in a postion where he COULD stop the green mist and destory dark island? Eustace couldn’t have done it himself. So really it WAS Aslan. But, no, you and others prefer to focus on the fact that Aslan didn’t carry the sword in the crook of his paws and pounce down onto the table with it himself. I think there is a point where this gets nit-picky, don’t you? I mean, you wouldn’t say Aslan didn’t die to save Edmund because he didn’t push the stone knife into his own heart, would you? Be reasonable. By your logic, the white witch saved Edmund; which makes no sense whatsoever.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Not sure what part of the comment is supposed to be sarcastic, but it’s pretty clear that the magic of the swords was Aslan’s magic. Eustace completed the quest. But his power didn’t destroy the mist. Sorry, sarcasm in print is harder to catch.

• Moonwood says:

Very well thought out, and researched, Mayor !
      I had never made the connection between temptation, and the serpent in the movie…
      I wish we had more positive and intelligent posts like yours…

Ah, thanks Moonwood. πŸ˜‰

Just found it interesting that the physical form of Dark Island ended up being a huge green serpent. If Green Mist = Satan, it’s only natural a snake of some sort would show up. He/it used the White Witch to personify temptation and used the most ugly serpent ever captured on film to personify his/its wrath.

• Shastafan says:

Well, I still think it’s ridiculous that they just had to put something so out of place in VDT (no offense, Wilkins, I’m glad you liked it in your own way πŸ˜‰ ). Is it really that hard to be creative and have no paticular villian like most movies? I don’t know the case here, but either the movie makers are too confident in their own ideas (which isn’t a bad thing, depending), or they’re so little on confidence in what Lewis has done.

And besides, the GM doesn’t make any sense. Apparently, it’s "pure evil," but we never really get to understand WHY it’s evil. Is it just because it oddly enough kidnaps people? And how does it ever affect Narnia as do the evil villians like the WW have? In the long run, the GM is the most evil thing so far, but it’s just too holey and confusing for me to ever think that.

And now, how will it affect SC? I’d love it if they forgot it all together, but the mist the LotGK uses might cause even more confusion. Along with money reasons, are the movie makers doing MN instead of VDT because they don’t want to figure it all out? I doubt it, but it makes you wonder…

• Anhun says:

If we hypothesize that the green mist has something to do with the Green Lady, then the most logical explanation, to my mind, is that it was a magical devise used to acquire human slaves to run her Underland kingdom (yes, I know, it’s still not THAT logical). But, since the green mist was vanquished at the end of VDT, she had to resort to bewitching the gnomes of Bism instead, using a different type of magic and temptation. Basically, I see no reason why the green mist would have to make an appearance in SC; it’s gone. But if the green dust is vaguely reminiscent of that, I don’t think it will be a problem either. I just wouldn’t want them to waste valuable screen time explaining the connection. There are so many other interesting things to depict in a Silver Chair movie. In short, I don’t see the green mist plot line as posing a problem in adapting SC.

• Narniapinoy says:

Great assessment Mayor Wilkins, this is why I don’t believe others why they don’t like the adaptation, they’re just to overwhelm about the changes and cannot see the good ones. I have no problem with the GM at all but when I read this assessment Now I really like it!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

question: why is the Dawn treader shaped like a dragon?

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

where’s the Mayor when you need him? πŸ™‚

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Not sure what reason the book gives….
        But perhaps its the same situation you have with gargoyles.
        Ugly figures used to ward off evil.
        In this case, perhaps they felt shaping it like a dragon would scare off other dragons (dragons love to eat other dragons) or perhaps sea serpents or something.

• Ionic Bonding Rocks says:

Wow. That is a /very/ thorough assessment, Mayor Wilkins. I’m impressed. However, I still disagree with you.
      Firstly, we are never told how the GM got there in the first place. There’s no background story of where it came from and how it crept into Narnia. Plot hole, much? If those seven mystical swords were given to someone or other to protect Narnia from this mist, wouldn’t you have thought that someone would have set out to kill it straight away? I’m quite sure that Aslan wouldn’t have just given Narnia seven random swords for no reason, just in case evil were to find its way into Narnia while he wasn’t looking (which would be an insult to Aslan). So people would have heard of the mist, but done nothing about it? Unlikely.
      Secondly, to me, the GM is nothing like the devil. Jadis was sort of the parallel to the devil. Satan fell because of his greed: he wanted to be of higher rank and more control than he was. Jadis was also ruled by greed. She wanted more control and power, but that was given to her sister, so she killed her sister, destroyed her world and looked for another world to bring under her iron will. The GM wasn’t greedy, it was just an object that randomly swalowed up people. For me, this made it less intimidating, more of a "can’t they come up with ANYTHING better than some evil object that kidnaps people just because it can?" There was no thought behind the mist, no motive, and that made it shallow and pointless.
      In all this, the most important reason I hated the GM was the fact it was there. It completely went against all the most important themes in the book, especially discovery and searching for your true home. It turned a book where the main enemies to the characters were themselves into a movie where it takes all accountability off them (because it’s not their fault they’re being tempted) and their enemy is a mystical bad guy that somehow knows their fears and desires. The fact is that in this world, there won’t be a green mist, but we will be tempted all the same because of our own greed. We don’t need some supernatural force to make us argue against friends and want more power, because it’s something we, as humans, do anyway. We are our greatest enemy, and Jesus is the only one who can save us from this. Lewis realised that in this book, there didn’t need to be a ‘bad guy’, and that would only take away from the discovery aspect of the book, which is really what it’s about. The filmmakers didn’t pay attention to this, so they created the GM.
      Also, the reason Voyage of the Dawn Treader was such a unique book and so many people love it was that there wasn’t a bad guy, so we all got to see some themes apart from the usual ‘defeat the bad guy’ theme. By adding in a villain, the filmmakers made VDT into just another fantasy film with just another quest.
      On top of this, I highly doubt that the filmmakers intended the GM to be allegorical in any way – it was just something to throw into the movie for more action and excitement.
      In conclusion, ot only do I think the GM made a lousy villain, but by adding it in there the filmmakers cut out so many important themes that made Voyage of the Dawn Treader a good book.
      I don’t think we’re ever going to agree, but I must say that I have immensely enjoyed discussing this with you, Mayor Wilkins πŸ˜€

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Well, I think we can peacefully agree to disagree then. πŸ˜‰

"Firstly, we are never told how the GM got there in the first place. There’s no background story of where it came from and how it crept into Narnia. Plot hole, much?"

Not according to my above theory. πŸ˜‰ Satan can probably exist in any world in some form, take any form, and exist at any time. In my opinion, no explanation is necessary. We know where Satan comes from.

"Secondly, to me, the GM is nothing like the devil."

Obviously we disagree. LOL. πŸ˜‰
        I never actually said The Green Mist mirrored the story of Lucifer’s fall from grace.
        No. We’re dealing with a version of Satan here that is raw evil. His backstory just simply does not enter into it. See above for reasons as to why I think Green Mist = Satan. The methods of the mist and the methods of Satan appear to be strikingly similar, as well as the limitations of evil.

"In all this, the most important reason I hated the GM was the fact it was there."

As you wish. But the above theory has nothing to do with what’s in the book and everything to do with the film version only. πŸ˜‰ I’ve taken what they’ve given us on screen and I’m interpreting it a certain way. Ultimately, I understand we’re of different minds here. That’s fine. But I just wanted to share my own viewpoint. I don’t think the film makers intended this, as I said. But this is what I think the Green Mist is.

• Shastafan says:

I get what you’re saying, but can you explain exactly how the GM is raw evil? All we ever actually see it do is tempt people (sometimes with bad results like Eustace experienced), kidnap people (for never really explained reasons), and scare them. Yes, it’s called "pure evil" and such, but what kind of evil is it really? It has no real known purpose, and it isn’t that scary compared to the WW or Miraz, villians with purposes who will kill to get their way.

Satan is evil, but he has an obvious reason for doing bad to us. As for the GM, I doubt it’ll ever become truly clear…

(And hopefully, that didn’t insult you. πŸ˜‰ )

• Mayor Wilkins says:

You have to take some of this on face value, I’m afraid. The thing is, I don’t have all the answers here. The mist is largely a mystery. Heh. That sounds kinda funny. πŸ˜› It’s a mist mystery. πŸ˜› Anyhow…

I believe that the goal of The Green Mist was really to have everyone submit to temptation and become corrupt. Its goal is probably similar to one of Satan’s goals. And that’s turning people away from God (or Aslan in this instance). Temptation is one of Satan’s primary weapons and he has a talent for it. Though is he always successful on earth? Not at all.

You have to understand that I believe the mist is Satan. Or at least it is an indicator of his presence. When I say that, I actually mean it is the same Satan of earth, only in Narnia. I’m not saying it’s "like Satan." Narnia is lucky because it has this visual indicator (because evil is so foreign to Narnia that the world itself actually reacts by producing this misty substance when the evil presence is around–see Douglas Gresham’s interview) of Satan’s presence.

So essentially, the motives of the Green Mist are the same as The Devil’s because it is The Devil. What kind of evil is it? Well, it’s an evil that evidently feeds on the corruption of innocence. It’s an evil that feeds on chaos and fear.

Consider what would have happened had the temptations worked. It’s not that the temptations were evil necessarily. It’s what would have happened if the people gave in. Take Edmund for instance. Imagine the loss of innocence and the corruption that would result if he took the mist up on its offer of complete kingship.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Just want to collectively thank everyone for their comments.
      Thanks for keeping the replies as peaceful as possible.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

thank you, i can swallow the green mist plot better by keeping this in mind.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

guys, don’t we have other things to argue about that are just a little more important than what the green mist signifies? I know it’s important when we think about the impact the concept has on the other films, but SC is at stake here! MN is gonna be greelight before any of us will realize it!

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I did not argue. I simply posted a theory as to what the Green Mist is.
        This is mostly friendly discussion. Not argument.
        As for the future of the series… I have already embraced "Magician’s Nephew."
        Truthfully, it’s my second favorite book after LWW. I was supporting "Magician’s Nephew" as the fourth film long before any of this news was posted. πŸ˜‰

• Anhun says:

Wilkins, I think the operative word was "important" not "argue." Fangirl feels that a discussion of the green mist and its symbolism is beside the point.

I have to say I disagree, fangirl. Many of us are concerned about MN because it’s not a straightforward quest or mission, which means that the filmmakers are more likely to feel a need to "improve" it. A number of fans use the Green Mist as an example of such misguided cinematic changes. Wilkins is trying to make the point that the Green Mist isn’t misguided at all, and that it was perfectly appropriate as a part of Narnian lore.

Personally, I didn’t feel that the Green Mist was un-Narnian, I just felt that it took away time from canon material that I would have loved to see on screen. If you have a plot that’s already full to bursting, don’t add a plot element that requires much more screen time to develop properly.

Glumpuddle once suggested the idea of a mystery (a la Sherlock Holmes :D) as the central plot of VDT, in which they look for clues as to the fate of the lost lords. This would have required very little added time, since it only involves taking the existing central plot and giving it more dramatic impact. . . . But now I really am getting off topic.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i think the mystery thing is a geat idea. too bad today’s market only allows for explosions and fighting.

• Greg says:

"Green was considered the color of calamity and evil, and was associated with the Devil himself."

Gives you pause when thinking of the current politically correct fad of "going green," "green jobs," Greenpeace, etc.

• Christ's girl says:

The White Witch will be in MN(hopefully they’ll call her Jadis, not the White Witch). I just hope when SC comes around, they’ll cast a different person for the role of the Lady in the Green Kirtle. It wouldn’t be the same with the White Witch(Tilda Swinton) being the same is the Lady in the Green Kirtle. They could cut The Lady in the Green Kirtle, and just do the White Witch, but I hope they don’t do that. It would be interesting to see who they cast for the role. πŸ™‚

• Moonwood says:

I would be very, very surprised if Gresham allowed that…

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I love Tilda so much that I wouldn’t mind her in "Silver Chair."
        But I’m pretty sure that the spirit of evil in Narnia (Green Mist) has embodied itself in another witch by the time "Silver Chair" rolls around. However, I could never ever get tired of seeing Tilda in these movies. She’s so awesome.

Down, boy…

• The Gatekeeper says:

Tilda Swinton was great in LWW, but seriously, they need to get a new villain. I’m sick of seeing the same picture of her on all the movie posters. :-S

• Not Of This World says:

I think they’ll call her Jadis. If you remember in LWW in the note Morgrum left behind he calls her Jadis.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

She has only been used on posters for two of the movies.
      And for each of those movies, the picture was different. πŸ˜›
      People, The White Witch was a form of The Green Mist.
      Maybe they could have used a picture of the sea serpent instead, but since temptation is such a big deal, they went with what the mist used to personify that.

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

What REALLY angers me about this whole thing is why Michael Flaherty even asked the fans which film they’d rather have first if the production team wasn’t even going to take the fan opinion into account. It’s the same thing that happened with the Stargate franchise when the fans’ opinions were ignored and Atlantis got canceled to make room for Universe. Look where that franchise is now: at its end. Universe has been canceled due to low ratings (probably because all the SGAtlantis fans refused to watch). The decision by tptb to go ahead with their little pet project and ignore fan opinion pretty much killed the whole franchise. They have to realize that without the fans, there is no money pouring into anything.

And don’t give fans the illusion of having any worth to a franchise if you’re not really going to pay attention to them. Flaherty shouldn’t have asked the question if the fan opinion didn’t matter. If it had, they’d be making SC instead because the majority of people voted for it. I’m afraid that the Narnia franchise might follow the same path some other franchises who’s production teams ignored fanservice and therefore went down the drain. I seriously hope MF isn’t Walden Media’s Michael Eisner…but it’s starting to look that way given some of the things I’ve read throughout VDT’s theatrical run, and I’m starting to get worried.

• Lucy says:

You have to understand that we at NW are not the ONLY fans. Yes there was a poll on here to ask which WE wanted next, and YES more of us (including myself) said SC all the way. But at the press confrences more people raised their hands supposedly for MN than SC. So you can’t blame the film-makers for that. Also, considering how many of you people are whining that the VDT movie wasn’t good enough for you, that you want remakes, do you really think the film makers are going to make a sequel of a movie you all keep trashing? (I still don’t agree with that, but to each their own.) Or will they make a prequel to a movie most of us can actually agree was good (LWW)?

• Shastafan says:

You know, it’s not just us fans that are "bashing" the film. VDT had so many mixed reviews, and even if it’s close to PC’s box office total, it’ll never go much higher and be as sucessful as LWW’s box office. And its domestic box office was only two thirds of PC’s, something that’s not that great of news.

As for LWW, it’s still (and likely will) always be the most famous of the movies so far. MN is the closest link to that sucess right now, unlike SC. It’s not the easiest of the seven books to make, but if in the end, it brings back the movie makers’ enthusiam (along with the fans πŸ™‚ ), this will have been a smart choice.

And also, you can’t change our opinions of "bashing" the films, Lucy, just as we can’t make you stop enjoying it. Just understand that we all want incredibly well-made adaptions of the books we love, even if it makes us sound pessimistic or negative. VDT has made a gap between the fans, so hopefully there’s a slight possibility (as far as we know) that MN will bring us into a happier time… πŸ˜‰

• commonlogic says:

I think there is a little too much worry about the age/look of Will Poulter. What is he, 18 now? Let’s say they start filming SC in 2 to 4 years. An 18 year old is an adult, about "full grown" anyways. If it’s not too late for him to be Eustace now at 18, I don’t think 2 to 4 more years will be a deal breaker. The difference in "look" between a 18 yr old and a 20 to 22 yr old is not that significant. Certainly not something that make-up and filming "tricks" can’t make adjustments for. If it’s too late at 20 to 22, it may be too late already.

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

I just haven’t really known what to say. There are just so many thoughts and ups and downs of doing MN before SC.
    I do remember in some interview with Michael Flaherty that a script hasn’t been written yet, meaning there will most likely be new scriptwriters. So, if you really hated the script in Dawn Treader, feel free to rejoice.
    All else I can really say is that there are probably a lot of Jill Pole wanna-bes protesting outside of Walden Media’s front door, although my hopes of being a centaur are not diminished.

• Anhun says:

I wouldn’t be so sure about the new script writers. It’s possible they haven’t written a script because they weren’t sure what film they wanted to do.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

maybe they can hire some writers that actually LIKE the chronicles, what a concept.

• Anhun says:

First you’ve got Tash Witch, now your talking about writers who give a crap about the subject matter?! Where do you get these bizzar-o ideas? πŸ˜›

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

haha, i know it’s a pipe dream to see a faithful adaptation in this evil age. forgive me for that foolish thought-

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

how about a director who appreciates the chronicles, unlike Apted?

• Anhun says:

That’s what I’d like to see. Someone who genuinely enjoys the chronicles and knows how much fun they can be, but at the same time doesn’t lose sight of broad audiences. Casual fans generally need more context and sense of perspective.

• Ted C says:

I hear they are planning to call the pools in the wood between the worlds glumpuddles.

• lucy says:

I hope Digory actully looks good, because Eustace kind of looked a tiny bit ugly:(
    And I thought that they would make The Silver Chair next.So that it looks like Eustace did’nt change much.

• Brad Lunsford says:

I think the next movie is going to be fantastic, just as Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Prince Caspian, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. And Christ Jesus is going to shine through the next movie, just as He did in the previous movies.

• Josh says:

Flaherty forgot to add that they get to have their Oscar winner back in the franchise, Tilda Swinton. $20 says that the trailer for Magician’s Nephew will have the phrase: "Featuring Oscar Winner Tilda Swinton" or something similar.

• Reepicheep says:

I never saw the prospect of any of the rest of the books making as much as LWW, but MN? Seriously? I guess by doing MN first, it’ll even out the narrative of the rest of the series, because SC had the storyteller telling the story of HBB, and if it was done after, it would in a way flow better from the last story; because of the Calormenes having been looked at in-depth in HBB, it would set them up as the antagonists of LB.

• ~Blue skies~ says:

I don’t know. I think it all comes down to money, and attracting younger viewers. (i.e. I don’t care HOW much people try to convince me, that little girl stowaway on The Dawn Treader both annoyed and upset me by her inclusion.)

But parents will fork for stuff for their screaming children, bringing it back to the beginning is just a ploy.

I’ll watch the next movie, but I’m not impressed about the lack of concern for the fans. (George Lucas has done enough to his fans, don’t you think? Do we really need a repeat?)

• Reepicheep says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I’d rather see ‘The Hobbit.’

• Moonwood says:

Luckily, it’s not a choice between the two…

• Anhun says:

@Reep: Do you mean you’d rather see The Hobbit than a Narnia movie, or you’d rather see The Hobbit than MN?

@Moonwood: For some people it is a choice. Film tickets are expensive.

• Lyle says:

The other good thing about having MN first is that Tilda Swinton can look old, as she is now, becuase she only becomes younger when she eats the silver apple in the end
    πŸ˜‰

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Tilda still looks pretty good.
      But you have a point. πŸ˜‰
      I’ve often wondered how they will show the final results of eating the silver apple as it applies to Jadis.

• Anhun says:

This is how it would go if I was in charge of the production:

Empress Jadis should have a striking, unearthly appearance. Now the book mentions that the terrain of Charn might have red soil (it was hard to tell since the sunlight was also red). I think Jadis’ gown should be inspired by natural red clay formations. I have a picture of it in my head. She should have soft reddish blond hair in an up-do, and her make up should be subtle peaches and cream (Tilda looks best in subtle make up).

When she bites the apple, a dramatic change in color should radiate starting with her mouth. Her mouth becomes redder, her face, and then the rest of her skin become much paler, her hair becomes dusty blond dread locks, and gown changes color to grey and the texture changes to resemble permafrost (like one of her gowns in LWW).

I definitely feel that the moment Jadis transforms into the WW should be depicted on screen rather than implied.

That’s really neat, Anhun

Anhun, youre hired!

• Not Of This World says:

Man, I like that idea!

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I like this. πŸ˜€ I like the idea of using the "red clay" of Charn. Nice. And you know that they’ll do something special with Tilda’s look throughout the film. πŸ˜‰ Especially if Isis returns to do the costumes.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

We really need to make a list of our good ideas (like this one for example) and send it to the movie people. You never know. Maybe if we show some maturity (instead of "Whaaa Silver Chair, Will Poulter will be 30!!") they MIGHT listen to SOME of our suggestions. I could actually see Isis doing something like this anyway. πŸ˜‰

• Anhun says:

Wilkins, how is it immature to want a talented actor to reprise his role as a beloved character? Now that isn’t my personal reason for refusing to support MN as Narnia 4, it is a point that merits discussion. I’m disappointed that you’re starting to use put-downs instead of counter-arguments. I don’t expect any better of Moonwood, but I thought you were above that.

• Moonwood says:

You sound like someone trying to pick a fight anhun, why not stay mature, and cooperative ? mayor is right, and I think the moaners have already ruined our chances for credibility.

• Moonwood says:

Furthermore, An., Mayor was not referring to you specifically ( your defensiveness says a lot ).
        Half of what you wrote was in fact Mayor’s idea ( past posts ) but we were too polite to tell you this, as It was so nice to see you write something positive.
        Oh well…

• Anhun says:

I know that Wilkins wasn’t talking about me specifically, I was clarifying the fact that my objection was to his/her use of dismissive insults, not their position on Will Poulter’s aging.

I’m just used to reading more courteous and interesting comments from Wilkins, whether I ultimately agree with them or not.

And I have no problem with the fact that we’re coming up with some of the same visualizations. It would be surprising if their wasn’t occasional overlap. We’re reading the same books after all.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

sorry Mayor, for legal reasons they wouldn’t use,consider/read our suggestions, they are not allowed to for fear of being sued.

• Moonwood says:

Very, very interesting point, High Queene Shelly Belly, though I suspect some must read our comments ( as they have communicated with the moderators of this site ) you must be right about them not being able to use our ideas.
        Can you imagine the legal trouble they could get in ? After all, this is all written for the world to see…

• stateofgreen says:

Shelly Belly is right. Fox would only consider ideas from people who had a writer’s guild agent going through proper channels to pitch script ideas. Not amateur public fans like us sad to say.

Hmmm….

Anhun, I seriously had no direct intention of offending anyone with the above comment.
        I’m sorry if it has offended you.

Please don’t misunderstand me on the point of casting.
        If they EVER recast anyone in these movies, I’m sure I would be hurt.
        Will Poulter was a fantastic Eustace. If they recast him, oh gosh I would be so upset.

And as I’ve posted so many times until I’m blue in the face…
        Tilda MUST return to the role of Jadis for "MN."

Trust me, I know all about fears of recasting and such.
        Tilda must come back, or one of my dreams will be crushed.

The point of my comment was really to compliment your idea. πŸ˜‰
        Because it really was a good one.

• jay says:

I’m upset i thougt thay would be making SC
    and thay were thiking uf making all 7 of them
    i know alot about moves and i dont thay will EVER mack SC
    but know mater wat i sill LOVE the NARNIA movas
    i still think it will be cool to see a new cast but tilda
    will be in it becuse she coms from charn
    but it will cool to see something difrent.

• Lady of the Green Kirtle says:

I really would prefer SC be next, but at least they’re not stopping with VDT, and with any luck they’ll get around to the other books eventually especially if this one is a success. I am looking foreword to seeing how they will portray the creation of Narnia on film

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

Well, I am glad that they ARE actually going to make another film, I was heartbroken for a while, thinking they wouldnt.

SC would make more sense to make next, if not for Will poulter’s age, for the casual fans (some of them being my own deprived friends) That won’t get Magicians nephew. I can see it now, me having to explain MN to them…

And I do hope they wont use the same director…I wish Andrew Adamson would come back.

But I will support the next movie no matter what they do!

• Anhun says:

That’s half of my concern about a film of MN. It’s not very accessible to people who haven’t read the book and who don’t have a strong interest in anything Narnia to begin with. And, inspite of what the folks at Walden might say, MN is nowhere near as popular as LWW, none of the other books are. SC and HHB, on the other hand, can be read as stand-alone books, which means that the movies could be viewed as stand-alone movies. With proper handling and a creative artistic vision, they could be made into exciting films that could engage most movie-goers, while still remaining largely faithful to the books. Some of us on the forum were talking about whether or not they should drop the "Chronicles of Narnia" from the title of SC, and market it as a unique adventure/coming-of-age story. Granted, the growth is spiritual rather than psycho-social/sexual, but I still felt that the characters and their struggles are extremely relatable.

My other concern about a film of MN is that it’ll be an utter mess, and a waste of time and ticket cost.

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

I agree, HHB and SC would definately work as stand alone movies, permitted they’re handled the right way, a way that wont seem too gimicky or sequel-ly…

• Not Of This World says:

Awesome name! Can I call you Bree? πŸ˜‰

• farnia says:

If Walden are looking for a potential blockbuster from the Narnia Franchise then it may well pay for them to start looking at a production team with vision and a fresh approach to stop the story and artistry from becoming stale and familiar.

You will need to keep the story fresh

• Queen C The Gentle says:

Please take a look at my Youtube channel:Lemondrop02, I’ll add more videos soon!

• Swordebrithil12 says:

I Ifriggin can’t wait until we finally get a trailer!!!!

• ajSilverX Farsight says:

The production team didn’t follow the published order of the chronicles. I think their main intention in doing the "Magician’s Nephew" next is that they believe that the film will be a box-office hit just like the "Lion, the witch, and wardrobe". As we see it, LWW made a box-office hit of 2005, PC didn’y make it to be a box-office hit, as well as VDT, though it was released in 3d and in 2d. If they will make SC next, it is better cause it’s the next story after VDT but they must make the series be box-office again so that they can make the remaining(HHB,SC,and LB) in the big screen too. Let’s just hope that MN will be a box-office hit so they can complete the series in the big-screen. For instance, is MN be the first greenlit NARNIA film? And Mn is going to be the first creation movie. FURTHER UP and FURTHER IN.

• NickD says:

I think the MN will be cheaper to make than the silver chair, and i wouldn’t worry about will poulter growing up too fast because Hollywood can make him look 18 again 5 years from now

• Anhun says:

Actually MN could easily prove to be more expensive than LWW. The creation of Narnia, and most of the part of the story set in Narnia, will be extremely CGI-intensive. CGI costs a lot of money. Also the transition between worlds, and possibly the wood between the world could involve a lot of CGI as well.

SC, on the other hand, has the 2 kids and Puddleglum wandering through the mountains for much of the movie. If Puddleglum and the gnomes are make-up and costume characters, rather than CGI characters, the only intensive scenes will be the conversation with Aslan (which doesn’t have to take as long as it does in the book), the battle with the snake/witch, and possibly Bism, if they decide to keep it as written.

• Conqueror says:

I just hope that they don’t eliminate the possibility of doing the silver chair and the last battle. They did put in the easter egg of mentioning Jill Pole. I just think that people’s reactions to the films are directly correlational to the storyline. Dawn Treader isn’t doing as well as they would hope because the end is HORRIBLE. C.S. Lewis, for some reason, thought that Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy were boring, and Jill and Eustace are incredible. But enough ranting. I just think that if they’re not careful, the wonderful kid they got to play Eustace will be drastically older.
    In fact, now that I think about it, why don’t they just skip Silver Chair entirely and just do the last battle? SC is probably the least popular, and nothing really happens. I don’t think anyone will miss it.

• Anhun says:

Mrs. Pole: So, what have you been up to this term?

Jill: Well, I flew off a cliff, escaped a castle on the back of a talking owl, shared a wigwam with one of the cookiest creatures in existance, dodged giant boulders, navigated a perilous bridge, saw some jolly festivities at a giant castle, found out that I was going to be the main course, so I had to dash, fell down a long tunnel, was captured by a tribe of gnomes, was marched through a gorgeous glowing forest, was hypnotized by a witch who turned into a snake, saw my friends hack her to bits, saw her whole kingdom get engulfed in a flood, climbed out from underground, met some Narnians dancing a snow dance, rode on a centaur, and saw a king come back from the dead.

Mrs. Pole: Huh . . . same old, same old. I know, nothing ever happens in boarding school.

• Kris says:

Bite your tongue, I would miss it! SC is one of my faves! And tons happens! I’m gonna sic puddleglum on you…;)

• Christ's girl says:

SC is among my three faves: MN, SC, and VDT. I also like LB, but probably not a major fave. It would be missed sorely!

• Cathy says:

I CAN’T wait for MN to be on the screen. I LOVE Polly and Digger. I want to see how they use CGI for the different pools. This was probably my FAVORITE of all the Chronicles.

• Kris says:

So ironic. (and I’m selfish lol) MN was actually my least favorite book (not that I didn’t like it, just compared with the rest of the Chronicles I liked it the lease) And SC is one of my faves (top 3 at least!) But nobody cares what I like…they only care that MN is everybody ELSE’S favorite book…so rude…

• Kris says:

lol just being sarcastic of course, (although what I said about MN being my least fave and SC being in my top 3 was true) and that was supposed to say "least" up there, not "lease".

• Seiko says:

Not that Magician’s Nephew isn’t good, but "The Silver Chair" is longer and better. Couldn’t they have waited one more movie?

• Not Of This World says:

Narnia Fans is reporting that it’s official that MN is next. Greenlighting ahoy! πŸ™‚

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

seriously??!?!?! And i thought i would pass out when i saw THIS post!!!! now it’s OFFICIAL??!?!? oh my gosh…

• Anhun says:

The Narniafans news item was quoting the same Christian Post article quoted in fantasia kitty’s post above. So this is really the exact same information, just posted on a different fan site.

• Not Of This World says:

Go to

if you want to see it πŸ™‚

• Musgrave says:

Ok, this is a random question, but does anyone know if there is a place where you can find the music from the Radio Theater productions by John Campbell?

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

8D !! sorry I don’t have an answer to your question, it’s just so awesome to see that someone other than me has listened to the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre Narnia’s! Man, I love those things! They should hire the Odyssey team to make the movies…they’d be awesome.

And if Liam Neeson cant voice Aslan anymore, I vote for David Suchet! πŸ˜€

• Musgrave says:

I agree that Focus on the Family did a phenomenal job with the audio stories of Narnia, and they have also made close to 700 episodes of Adventures in Odyssey. I think someone should do a miniseries of the best episodes of Odyssey and show them on T.V. They wouldn’t need a large budget, or even many special effects, just a classic small town in America.

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

I know! The writers of Odyssey wrote some amazing episodes, with great themes. They would make epic tv shows, and I love the idea of it all revolving around a small town… πŸ™‚

• ajSilverX Farsight says:

I was just wondering if any of you does know that Dawn Treader has been Nominated for Crystal Dove Seal Award for β€œBest Adventure” Film of 2010. you can check it on http://www.aslanscountry.com if you wanted too. does any of you wonders who will be better to play Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer for MN? So it’s going to be The Magician’s Nephew for the next NARNIA film to be released.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

No idea who they would get to play Digs.
      But they usually find these wonderful children to play the roles.
      So I’m not too worried. Look at Will Poulter, Georgie and Skandar, etc….

I’m pretty much set on Moonwood’s idea for John Cleese as Uncle Andrew.
      And of course Tilda should play Jadis.

• Moonwood says:

πŸ™‚ I don’t think we have anything to worry about regarding T.Swinton, they are counting on her Awesomeness. it’s probably one of the main reasons they are doing this movie…

• ajSilverX Farsight says:

Perhaps you’re right for John Cleese can play Uncle Andrew in magician’s nephew. And Tilda Swinton should be Jadis for she portrays her in 3 consecutive Narnia movies as well as Liam Neeson for Aslan’s portrayal. Well, they must get a better role for Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer.

• Christ's girl says:

They should cast us Narniawebbers. You know, actual Narnia fans. That would be sooo cool. πŸ™‚

• Austra says:

I agree, but for one thing- that is, some of the fans are just so silly they faint every time an actor walked by. And we can’t have that on the set! ;-P But yes, I do want very badly to be Jill. VERY badly.

• Christ's girl says:

I’m taking a poll. What does Polly Plummer look like to you? List hair, eyes, and height. You can list more if you find something I didn’t think of. To me she has brown hair, hazel eyes, and is not real short, but not real tall. Please take the poll. πŸ˜€

• Austra says:

I think that Polly has very long light brown hair, blue/brown eyes, and a very pale complexion. She’s very short, and slightly plump. SLIGHTLY! And her eyes are very large, her cheekbones are high, and her ears are small. Her hands are very little, and her eyebrows are are very light.

That’s the way I see her.

• Kiri says:

I picture her with blonde, rather curly hair and blue eyes. Height being on the shorter side.

• Moonwood says:

Her hair and cloths will certainly have to reflect late 19th century England…I would also expect long curled hair and a bow…

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

To me she always seemed a little tomboyish, but still wore dresses and the like, being the time period and all. She seems to me…kind of like younger Hermoine from Harry Potter…only a little. I always loved how she told Digory off when he wanted to ring the bell. Girl-power!

• Morrighan says:

The reason why LWW was more successful than the other two films is not because of book popularity but because it was a better adaptation. The moviemakers can’t see what’s under their noses. Quite simply, the first movie is the most faithful adaptation. They messed up VODT big time and they wonder why people are losing interest.

• Anhun says:

I disagree, LWW has sold more than twice as many copies as the rest of the books in the series combined. It is frequently sold as a stand-alone work, rather than "Narnia 1" or "Narnia 2." Many people who love LWW don’t even realize that there are other books in the series. I agree that the quality of the film contributed to its success. It had excellent word of mouth, and it was mostly respected by critics, but the fact that the original book is culturally iconic helped it to become a mega-hit. None of the other books in the series have that status, not even MN.

• Moonwood says:

You are speaking from the point of view of a small slice of very local culture.
        In Europe the books are far better known, and VDT nearly as well known as LWW. Plus, C S Lewis was awarded the 1956 Carnegie Medal for The Last Battle.
        Prince Caspian didn’t impress me much when I was young, but as I grew older ( it will happen to you too, don’t be discouraged ) I came to see it as a masterpiece.
        The movie was ruined by Adamson . He had no respect for the story, and implied it several times. I’m talking about the guy who–in his Shreck movie– had Pinnochio, the beloved children’s book character, grab his own crotch , Michael J. style ‘dance move’. This was his usual respectable tribute to classical tales…

• Bethany Weathers says:

So it’s all about the money. Awesome. Glad to know they’re making these for the fans.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

they are hardly making money off the sequels. trying to keep their heads above water is more like it.

• ajSilverX Farsight says:

So it’s finally official (for all Narnia fans know) that "The Magician’s Nephew" will be the fourth Narnia film. Does making MN the fourth Narnia film better than SC? Is it really official that MN will be green-lit? MN is all about how evil entered Narnia and how Narnia was made. Then when the Producers must begin to make MN? Hope the production-team will do MN as early as they can.

• Stephen Daugherty says:

Well, here’s what I think is going on, if they make Magician’s Nephew next.

What they might end up doing is putting Silver Chair and The Last Battle together back to back, with A Horse and His Boy coming before them,

Consider how that works. TMN, for all of its mythological heft, has perhaps one character who must be cast from the other films. AHAHB has the Pevensies in charge, with the added benefit that the actors can be presented at their current ages without a problem.

Silver Chair has Eustace, but since they’re being kind of loose about the ages of the characters in the films, they can have Eustace and Jill be teenagers. Then, having done TSC, they can go on to the Last Battle, which can more or less have everybody they introduced up to that point, minus Susan, of course, who might get a cameo at the beginning or at the end anyways.

One thing that benefits the series is, in terms of flexibility, is that the series already out of chronological order. A little more juggling won’t hurt it. In this case, it might make it easier to pull the cast together for different movies, and keep actors in the audience’s minds.

• narniafan16 says:

How could this happen? I want silver chair to be next! I was working so hard to be Jill pole…
    Who agrees???

• Lucy's loverr says:

I actually prefer them doing the Magician’s Nephew next. I loved reading the book so I’d love watching it. It is the best Narnia book ever. MAKE A MOVIE! MAKE A MOVIE! MAKE A MOVIE!!!

• Moonwood says:

I love the Magician’s nephew too !
      Would’t it be awesome to have John Cleese as Uncle Andrew ? Tilda Swinton vs John Cleese–who could wish for more ?

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I think it would be hilarious. In a good way.
        Cleese is so funny and contrasting that against Tilda’s coldness…. it could be absolute gold.

"How long am I to wait for my chariot?"

"See here, Madam!"

Ha ha ha. I can hear it now.

• Moonwood says:

Ha Ha you find the best quotes…
        The fact is, Everything that is Uncle Andrew, is in the range of his beloved ‘Basil Fawlty’ Character. + he is very tall…

• Pepper says:

That would be side-splitting, hopefully not to the point of taking away from the actual story.

• claireyy says:

i don’t miind MN next, but for the other flims i want the original characters in it. kids grow up pretty fast, and if they plan on making the rest of the series with them in it…

• megan says:

Ok first of all your all idiots. Second of all the books don’t go in order. The magicians nephew is where it all starts. Third why dont you try reading the books before you think you know everything. Fourth seriously people there is a whole website for these movies GET A LIFE!!!

• Euan says:

I think it’s interesting that the series has been getting progressively more blatant with the Christian theme of the books. To be fair they shied away from it somewhat in Prince Caspian but it’s all there and them some in Dawn Treader! Now they’ve opted to go for one of the books that follows the creation story almost exactly. Well… it’s really obvious at least. Perhaps they’ll be more keen to go straight to the Last Battle next and Bible our faces to the max!

As long as they find some way of getting Poulter back in the Silver Chair or the Last Battle I’ll be happy. He was by far the best thing about Dawn Treader. Tremendous actor.

• Pepper says:

I am very much looking forward to The Magician’s Nephew. Just imagine, Aslan singing Narnia into existence! I cannot wait to see how this is portrayed on screen, it is going to be quite a challenge for the production team.

I am very curious to see what Liam Neeson says about who Aslan is, after voicing THAT script.

• hokedonnarnia says:

Ok all of u who r like omg the moves should be in chronological order need to chill cuz if thats the order that they r going to make them in then there is nothing u can do to change it and beside u should just be happy they r making a new one.
    so just chill out about the cronological order and freak out about the fact that they r making another mkovie cuz i know im freaking out right now.