Why is Walden Making ‘Magician’s Nephew’ Next?

Posted March 22, 2011 10:57 am by fantasia_kitty

The Christian Post caught up with Micheal Flaherty to talk to him about the future of the Narnia films. Flaherty confirmed that Walden plans to make The Magician’s Nephew as the fourth Narnia movie (which we already knew) and that they’re currently in talks with Fox and the C.S. Lewis Estate about it.

But what was interesting was one of the reasons he listed as to why they were making The Magician’s Nephew next instead of The Silver Chair.

Looking ahead, Walden Media believes The Magician’s Nephew has the potential to be a blockbuster hit like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because it is the second most popular book in the Narnia series.

Flaherty explained that box office performance for Narnia films appears to mimic the amount of people’s interest in the books.

“What’s interesting is that the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe over this period of time sold twice as many books as Prince Caspian and it did twice as much at the box office. Prince Caspian sold a third of the books as Dawn Treader and did a third at the box office,” he noted.

“So while it’s not always a correlation between books to film, so far with these first three films, it has been.”

The full story is available here.

• Musgrave says:

Ok, this is a random question, but does anyone know if there is a place where you can find the music from the Radio Theater productions by John Campbell?

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

8D !! sorry I don’t have an answer to your question, it’s just so awesome to see that someone other than me has listened to the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre Narnia’s! Man, I love those things! They should hire the Odyssey team to make the movies…they’d be awesome.

And if Liam Neeson cant voice Aslan anymore, I vote for David Suchet! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Musgrave says:

I agree that Focus on the Family did a phenomenal job with the audio stories of Narnia, and they have also made close to 700 episodes of Adventures in Odyssey. I think someone should do a miniseries of the best episodes of Odyssey and show them on T.V. They wouldn’t need a large budget, or even many special effects, just a classic small town in America.

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

I know! The writers of Odyssey wrote some amazing episodes, with great themes. They would make epic tv shows, and I love the idea of it all revolving around a small town… ๐Ÿ™‚

• ajSilverX Farsight says:

I was just wondering if any of you does know that Dawn Treader has been Nominated for Crystal Dove Seal Award for โ€œBest Adventureโ€ Film of 2010. you can check it on http://www.aslanscountry.com if you wanted too. does any of you wonders who will be better to play Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer for MN? So it’s going to be The Magician’s Nephew for the next NARNIA film to be released.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

No idea who they would get to play Digs.
      But they usually find these wonderful children to play the roles.
      So I’m not too worried. Look at Will Poulter, Georgie and Skandar, etc….

I’m pretty much set on Moonwood’s idea for John Cleese as Uncle Andrew.
      And of course Tilda should play Jadis.

• Moonwood says:

๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t think we have anything to worry about regarding T.Swinton, they are counting on her Awesomeness. it’s probably one of the main reasons they are doing this movie…

• ajSilverX Farsight says:

Perhaps you’re right for John Cleese can play Uncle Andrew in magician’s nephew. And Tilda Swinton should be Jadis for she portrays her in 3 consecutive Narnia movies as well as Liam Neeson for Aslan’s portrayal. Well, they must get a better role for Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer.

• Christ's girl says:

They should cast us Narniawebbers. You know, actual Narnia fans. That would be sooo cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Austra says:

I agree, but for one thing- that is, some of the fans are just so silly they faint every time an actor walked by. And we can’t have that on the set! ;-P But yes, I do want very badly to be Jill. VERY badly.

• Christ's girl says:

I’m taking a poll. What does Polly Plummer look like to you? List hair, eyes, and height. You can list more if you find something I didn’t think of. To me she has brown hair, hazel eyes, and is not real short, but not real tall. Please take the poll. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Austra says:

I think that Polly has very long light brown hair, blue/brown eyes, and a very pale complexion. She’s very short, and slightly plump. SLIGHTLY! And her eyes are very large, her cheekbones are high, and her ears are small. Her hands are very little, and her eyebrows are are very light.

That’s the way I see her.

• Kiri says:

I picture her with blonde, rather curly hair and blue eyes. Height being on the shorter side.

• Moonwood says:

Her hair and cloths will certainly have to reflect late 19th century England…I would also expect long curled hair and a bow…

• BreehyHinnyBrinnyHoohyHah says:

To me she always seemed a little tomboyish, but still wore dresses and the like, being the time period and all. She seems to me…kind of like younger Hermoine from Harry Potter…only a little. I always loved how she told Digory off when he wanted to ring the bell. Girl-power!

• Morrighan says:

The reason why LWW was more successful than the other two films is not because of book popularity but because it was a better adaptation. The moviemakers can’t see what’s under their noses. Quite simply, the first movie is the most faithful adaptation. They messed up VODT big time and they wonder why people are losing interest.

• Anhun says:

I disagree, LWW has sold more than twice as many copies as the rest of the books in the series combined. It is frequently sold as a stand-alone work, rather than "Narnia 1" or "Narnia 2." Many people who love LWW don’t even realize that there are other books in the series. I agree that the quality of the film contributed to its success. It had excellent word of mouth, and it was mostly respected by critics, but the fact that the original book is culturally iconic helped it to become a mega-hit. None of the other books in the series have that status, not even MN.

• Moonwood says:

You are speaking from the point of view of a small slice of very local culture.
        In Europe the books are far better known, and VDT nearly as well known as LWW. Plus, C S Lewis was awarded the 1956 Carnegie Medal for The Last Battle.
        Prince Caspian didn’t impress me much when I was young, but as I grew older ( it will happen to you too, don’t be discouraged ) I came to see it as a masterpiece.
        The movie was ruined by Adamson . He had no respect for the story, and implied it several times. I’m talking about the guy who–in his Shreck movie– had Pinnochio, the beloved children’s book character, grab his own crotch , Michael J. style ‘dance move’. This was his usual respectable tribute to classical tales…

• Bethany Weathers says:

So it’s all about the money. Awesome. Glad to know they’re making these for the fans.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

they are hardly making money off the sequels. trying to keep their heads above water is more like it.

• ajSilverX Farsight says:

So it’s finally official (for all Narnia fans know) that "The Magician’s Nephew" will be the fourth Narnia film. Does making MN the fourth Narnia film better than SC? Is it really official that MN will be green-lit? MN is all about how evil entered Narnia and how Narnia was made. Then when the Producers must begin to make MN? Hope the production-team will do MN as early as they can.

• Stephen Daugherty says:

Well, here’s what I think is going on, if they make Magician’s Nephew next.

What they might end up doing is putting Silver Chair and The Last Battle together back to back, with A Horse and His Boy coming before them,

Consider how that works. TMN, for all of its mythological heft, has perhaps one character who must be cast from the other films. AHAHB has the Pevensies in charge, with the added benefit that the actors can be presented at their current ages without a problem.

Silver Chair has Eustace, but since they’re being kind of loose about the ages of the characters in the films, they can have Eustace and Jill be teenagers. Then, having done TSC, they can go on to the Last Battle, which can more or less have everybody they introduced up to that point, minus Susan, of course, who might get a cameo at the beginning or at the end anyways.

One thing that benefits the series is, in terms of flexibility, is that the series already out of chronological order. A little more juggling won’t hurt it. In this case, it might make it easier to pull the cast together for different movies, and keep actors in the audience’s minds.

• narniafan16 says:

How could this happen? I want silver chair to be next! I was working so hard to be Jill pole…
    Who agrees???

• Lucy's loverr says:

I actually prefer them doing the Magician’s Nephew next. I loved reading the book so I’d love watching it. It is the best Narnia book ever. MAKE A MOVIE! MAKE A MOVIE! MAKE A MOVIE!!!

• Moonwood says:

I love the Magician’s nephew too !
      Would’t it be awesome to have John Cleese as Uncle Andrew ? Tilda Swinton vs John Cleese–who could wish for more ?

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I think it would be hilarious. In a good way.
        Cleese is so funny and contrasting that against Tilda’s coldness…. it could be absolute gold.

"How long am I to wait for my chariot?"

"See here, Madam!"

Ha ha ha. I can hear it now.

• Moonwood says:

Ha Ha you find the best quotes…
        The fact is, Everything that is Uncle Andrew, is in the range of his beloved ‘Basil Fawlty’ Character. + he is very tall…

• Pepper says:

That would be side-splitting, hopefully not to the point of taking away from the actual story.

• claireyy says:

i don’t miind MN next, but for the other flims i want the original characters in it. kids grow up pretty fast, and if they plan on making the rest of the series with them in it…

• megan says:

Ok first of all your all idiots. Second of all the books don’t go in order. The magicians nephew is where it all starts. Third why dont you try reading the books before you think you know everything. Fourth seriously people there is a whole website for these movies GET A LIFE!!!

• Euan says:

I think it’s interesting that the series has been getting progressively more blatant with the Christian theme of the books. To be fair they shied away from it somewhat in Prince Caspian but it’s all there and them some in Dawn Treader! Now they’ve opted to go for one of the books that follows the creation story almost exactly. Well… it’s really obvious at least. Perhaps they’ll be more keen to go straight to the Last Battle next and Bible our faces to the max!

As long as they find some way of getting Poulter back in the Silver Chair or the Last Battle I’ll be happy. He was by far the best thing about Dawn Treader. Tremendous actor.

• Pepper says:

I am very much looking forward to The Magician’s Nephew. Just imagine, Aslan singing Narnia into existence! I cannot wait to see how this is portrayed on screen, it is going to be quite a challenge for the production team.

I am very curious to see what Liam Neeson says about who Aslan is, after voicing THAT script.

• hokedonnarnia says:

Ok all of u who r like omg the moves should be in chronological order need to chill cuz if thats the order that they r going to make them in then there is nothing u can do to change it and beside u should just be happy they r making a new one.
    so just chill out about the cronological order and freak out about the fact that they r making another mkovie cuz i know im freaking out right now.