Flaherty: “Multiple Opinions” On Fourth Narnia Film

Posted December 7, 2012 1:46 am by glumPuddle

This Monday will mark two years since Fox/Walden’s The Voyage of the Dawn Treader hit theaters and ultimately performed below expectations in the United States, but pretty well internationally. At this point, most fans have accepted the fact that we should not expect to see another Narnia film made for some time (view our ‘Narnia 4′ summary page).

One of the reasons for the hold-up is disagreement about what the next step should be. Micheal Flaherty (Walden Media president) would like to make The Magician’s Nephew while Douglas Gresham (co-producer, Lewis’ stepson) favors The Silver Chair. Here is a clip from World Magazine‘s interview with Micheal Flaherty:

Q: So, with revenue going down and production costs remaining high, so what’s next for the Narnia movie series?
MF: There are multiple opinions on all this and a lot of different players: The C.S. Lewis estate, the studio, our company—and we’re not all of one mind. I would love to find a way where the economics work, acknowledging the decline. I’d like to do The Magician’s Nephew. Other people want to do The Silver Chair, and there’s disagreement about the economics and the overall vision of where the franchise should go next. My hope is that we may all become of one mind, but unless something providential happens there, I’m focusing on a number of other stories.

Q: So, at this moment, no deal?
MF: Nope.

Flaherty talks more about Narnia in the full interview.

Back in May, Douglas Gresham indicated there is a seven-year moratorium on producing any Narnia films outside of Walden Media. He also wants to make The Silver Chair next as an independent film.

Discuss!

• Narniajewel says:

I think that Doug should stick to his guns. It’s not just that he’s the estate, but he’s a very wise and educated man who understands the philosophy and theology involved with the stories as well as Lewis’ remarks on the and stories. VDT was a train wreck theologically and PC had major character flaws that left so many treasures off the screen. In this liberal age, I’d welcome the estate’s imput with directors, writers, producers, and the like. If the film can’t be done right, it shouldn’t be done at all. If they don’t make it with his imput and creative control, I’m ok with them not making it at all. I love Narnia, but it needs to be Narnia. The last two films fell short. I don’t blame Doug. I support him.

• dust says:

I would hope that a movie independently done with Douglas Gresham fully in charge would result in greater faithfulness to the books, but I’m not so sure it would. I’m quite sure i read interviews with Gresham stating he went to battle with the producers over things he felt must be in the movies and things he felt must be left out out of the movies, especially where theology was concerned. I also think I remember him saying that he was happy with the green smoke story line of vdt ( which, to me, was an atrocity that, along with other problems, ruined the movie, spoiling a fantastic portrayal of Eustace by Will Poulter). Maybe if Gresham was truly at the helm, he wouldn’t be trying to decide what he can and can’t live with and would be free to make the books into film as they are, but I have a lot of doubt about that. The thing is, there is no reason not to, at this point. Technology has advanced to a place where there really are no limitations to what can be depicted on the screen, so somebody, anybody, JUST MAKE THE BOOKS. Try it please, just for once.

• The Doctor says:

Gresham was not happy with the green mist, the only reason he agreed to it was because they told him that was the only way they would make the movie

• The Doctor says:

I don’t think they will do I reboot considering Gresham wants to make all the movies before he deism, but since each narnia book is so different they could technically reboot the narnia films without having to do the first 3 over again. People could would understand SC fine without knowing anything about narnia. This type of reboot would work even better if they did MN next.

• The Doctor says:

Am I the only one who wants vdt made next? What do you mean they already made vdt? No that was a sub-par fantasy film about swords and mist that happened to have the same name as vdt period exclamation mark

actually, Narnia have 3 films:
        The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
        Prince Caspian
        The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
        all are complete films and not in parts! Narnia 4 should be The Silver Chair…. and yes, the reason for the Green Mist in VDT is for the Emerald queen in The Silver Chair.

• The Doctor says:

I know there are 3 narnia films just in my world I pretend vdt never happened, I personally do think they should do vdt again and do it justice. I understand they were trying to tie vdt and sc together but the green mist was the worst villain ever in a movie. The plot doesn’t make sense, they lay the 7 swords on the table and it doesn’t even destroy the mist like its supposed to, it just makes Rhindon (Peters sword) glow blue (are orcs near?) and only if you stab a mist serpent with Rhindon is the mist destroyed. Now if they make sc next then I promise you they the green mist will not be in it especially if Gresham is involved. Its really weird saying this but I would have rather seen the leaked script version than the final film we got, even though they are both horrible. In fact I think ill just direct the next 4 films and remake vdt to make sure all of the books are done justice ;)

• ERB says:

"Am I the only one who wants vdt made next?"

No, you are not the only one, if there’s choice I would like them to remake VDT, but I think they won’t do this.

• ERB says:

If possible, I hope for a reboot.

• mixedfiction says:

The Doctor, while I like the current trilogy, I do agree with you! "it just makes Rhindon (Peters sword) glow blue (are orcs near?)" I laughed at that! Haha well, orcs aren’t near. When I saw Rhindon glowing blue, I actually thought it looked like a light saber.

ERB, agreed.

• The Doctor says:

I also wondered if invisibility protects the dufflepuds, why doesn’t the magician turn the dawn treader and her crew invisible so they can just sail right into dark island and get the last sword. Now I would agree with a reboot if the first 2 films weren’t so good. I cant imagine somebody else playing lucy. Even with the changes to prince Caspian (except for the suspian romance) I thought it was a great film.

• ERB says:

Then there will be no more Narnia movie, I don’t think they will remake VDT, reboot wasn’t the only way to remake VDT. I can accept a whole new Narnia cast, I can accept the new "Pevensies", sometime I think it was a good thing, something different.

• ERB says:

Correction: "Reboot was the only way to remake VDT."

• The Doctor says:

I know its just sad to think that this might be the only VDT movie we ever see

• Will says:

It’s been a while since I read VDT in book format, but I didn’t think the movie was all that bad. It was connecting with me emotionally, and each main character faced certain temptations or struggles. The worst part had to be getting into Narnia (is the ocean even considered "Narnia"?). The "star" wasn’t supposed to be that woman, but I guess they were showing how Caspian eventually marries her. Didn’t they visit every island from the book, even if it was in a different order? When I saw either the special features, or heard the commentary, they explained the green mist as linking to the underworld from SC, so at least that made sense, even if it met with disapproval from fans.

• ERB says:

So what are we waiting for? Bring on the THE SILVER CHAIR, if we don’t want to reboot, then move faster, wait more few years, reboot was the only fate we have to face, let’s face it.

• The Doctor says:

Will, I would suggest you reread the vdt book, you might just change your mind about the movie. I liked the movie then I reread the book and changed my mind. They got so many things wrong, I could probly write a book about it. While adding the green mist in to add struggles to each character, they mist so many bigger and more inportant messages. The even got the aslans country scene wrong. If SC is made next the green mist

• The Doctor says:

Not be in the movie, gresham was very upset with the green mist and the vdt movie as a whole for it showed exactly why Lewis didn’t want the chronicles on film. So there goes the green mist/SC tie in. And if the movie is going to dissapoint fans of the book, why make it. I don’t think people would have minded if there was no Gillian.

• The Doctor says:

Not be in the movie, gresham was very upset with the green mist and the vdt movie as a whole for it showed exactly why Lewis didn’t want the chronicles on film. So there goes the green mist/SC tie in. And if the movie is going to dissapoint fans of the book, why make it. I don’t think people would have minded if there was no great danger in narnia. I would suggest you listen to the narniaweb podcast VDT commentary if you want know all the problems with this movie. :)

*before he dies

• The Doctor says:

* I don’t think they will do a reboot considering Gresham wants to make all the movies before he dies, but considering each narnia book is so different, technically they could do a reboot without remaking the first 3. People could understand sc without knowing anything about narnia.

• Farsight-messenger says:

I’m also thinking about that for only Eustace’s character will change(althoug I really love Poulter to play Eustace). However, all other cast can return as their respective roles specially the Pevensies. Also, Gresham wants all Narnia books to be a film and I really want it to. Just so, Walden Media needs to respect the true story of narnia or lose it’s best movie franchise ever.

• velvet says:

i saw the trailer, why is peter,edmund, susan , lucy & even caspian no longer included in the story?

• mixedfiction says:

What trailer? What story?

• Ash says:

Trailer? there is no trailer if I’m right..

• The Doctor says:

I’m guessing your talking about silver chair and there is no trailer for it. I suggest you try reading the book or paying more attention to the moveis if you want to know why Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy aren’t in the silver chair. Anyways Peter and Susan aren’t even in vdt, have you even seen the movie? If you haven’t then I’d suggest you just read the book instead.

• Mirko says:

Is a shame. Narnia must go on…they can not lock now.
    2018? oh my god…can not be true

• GlimGlum says:

Time will tell which remaining book will be the actual one to be made into a big screen movie. Let’s hope the next film version will be worth the long wait. :)

• Farsight-messenger says:

I made a "new" video of The Best scenes of Narnia…..
    Please watch it Narnians! This is due to: 1) the video was too long, 2) And the video had many problems. For this reason, I shortened the video

Please watch it Narnians!

"Return to the Magical World of Narnia!"

• mixedfiction says:

Wait, will be downloading it… :)

• Farsight-messenger says:

Thanks mixedfiction! hope you’ll enjoy it!

hey mixedfiction….
        have you watched The Best scenes of Narnia? any reviews about the video?
        Hope you’ve enjoyed it!

• mixedfiction says:

Wait, haven’t finished it yet. Sorry; I’ve been very busy these past days. :( I’ll find time and tell you what I think about it, you may expect my reply this weekend (hopefully & probably). :P

• Farsight-messenger says:

no worries. take your time and just tell me your review. I’ll be really fascinated for your review. :)

• mixedfiction says:

Hey, I watched it already! Sorry I’m a bit late. :( I loved it very much! I like this video better because it’s shorter, simpler, and to the point; I was quite surprised with the text part in your other video, and I think it’s better for the flow now that it was left out. I favor how the core of the best scenes was showed in the right pace with the title and which movie it came from. :)
        I still agree that the best scene of the trilogy is "Aslan’s Country", it’s also my favorite. But my next favorite (I think) is "Eustace Un-dragoned"

By the way, how’s your reading The Hobbit? :D

• Farsight-messenger says:

Thank you very much for appreciating it mixedfition! I’m really glad that you’ve nejoyed my video. I also love the scene of Eustace un-dragoned. It’s in ninth place in my video right? and it’s still in my top ten most fav scenes!

as for the Hobbit, I’m not yet reading it due to the fact that I’m still reading C.S. Lewis’ Miraceles.

• mixedfiction says:

You’re welcome! Am I right that you’ve read The Hobbit already but you want to read it again before watching it? Or you haven’t read it at all?

• Farsight-messenger says:

Not yet read it but I have a little knowledge about the story. :)

Oh, okay! Cool!

• Just Queen, not High Queen says:

Will Poulter turns 20 today. In The Silver Chair, Eustace is only 9 years old. Just another sign that they need to hurry up and make Silver Chair NOW!!!! Time is running out.

• mixedfiction says:

Really? Eustace was just 9? Well, my memory isn’t that good, but isn’t he early teens or something?

• Farsight-messenger says:

yes. in the book, there’s no year passed in Earth. after some months after their voyage, Eustace was called back in The Silver Chair.

• Yerdif says:

In the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Eustace is 11 years old, Lucy is 12 and Edmund is 14. In the Silver Chair, Eustace is 11 or 12, depending on when his birthday is since only a few months pass on Earth, and Jill is presumably the same age. In The Last battle, Eustace and Jill are both 17, since about six years pass on Earth (I know this because Lucy is out of school in LB).

• mixedfiction says:

@Yerdif, that makes more sense. And my memory’s closer to that. Thanks!

• The Doctor says:

I think he could still play Eustace in a few years, well he would be 25 in 2018 but I think he could still pull it off. Andrew Garfield was around 25 playing a teenage Peter parker in ASM. Am I partially saying this because I love will poulter as Eustace and cant imagine anyone else as Eustace? YES

• FOR NARNIA says:

WHY DON’T THEY MAKE BOTH MOVIES AT THE SAME TIME START WITH THE Silver Chair AND END IT WITH The Magician’s Nephew IM SURE US NARNIA FANS WON’T MIND WATCHING NARNIA FOR A FEW HOURS LOL

• Just Queen, not High Queen says:

I totally agree! I have thought from the beginning that they should make a compromise and simply film both at the same time. That way, with two films back to back, the releases would receive a lot more publicity and thus do much better at the box office.

• FOR NARNIA says:

• Anhun says:

That’s not really a compromise. The main reason why they are arguing so much is that the films cost so much money to make, and the filmmakers are seeing less and less return on their investment. Your proposition would be the most expensive of all.

They don’t even know if one Narnia film will make it’s money back, even in the long term. They certainly won’t gamble on two.

• The Doctor says:

Maybe they could meet in the middle and do HHB. I know they wont but still id like to see what Andrew adamson would do with HHB. I bet they will make SC next without Walden.

• Farsight-messenger says:

wait a minute. This all means that Flaherty or Walden Media is the different among all others. He wants to make MN, Gresham and C.S.L. Estate wants SC. come on Walden, Narnia franchise is your best and top grossing movies that made a great hit! don’t even ruin the story. come on. just start SC if that’s the majority.

look, it’s been 2 years since the release of VDT. Now, there’s no production for the fourth? please do start Narnia 4.

• FOR NARNIA says:

Walden media needs to step up their game. I can’t believe its taking this long for them to compromise. Like i said before film both at the same time also make them right don’t change everything like the last 3 movies Walden media left so much out of p.c. that it got me mad. BBC in 1988 even made their films like the books they didn’t change anything.So step it Up!! Walden media

• narniahannah says:

Well, that’s kinda sad. Though, I am not even sure I want them to touch Narnia anymore, since they really screwed up the last two. I was looking forward to seeing more of Will Poulter as Eustace. He was pretty much the only saving part of Voyage. But now that they’ve taken so long… :( But maybe ’tis for the better.

• dust says:

Sadly, I agree with all of this. It’s just frustrating because I don’t think this situation would have taken place if they hadn’t made such messes of the last 2 films.

• The Doctor says:

They screwed up the last 2? Correction they screwed up the last 1. Now I am a huge narnia book fan, I have serveral narnia book sets with both the publication order and chronological orders on their spines, and have read the series at least 9 time and I loved the prince Caspian movie more than the LWW film. While they do change a lot of stuff and got some things wrong (suspian) they still keep they spirit of the book. The movies don’t have to be exactly like the book because if they were, why not just read the book? If you can ask somebody (who hasn’t read the book), what was the main theme of that movie was and they say the same theme of the book then I think the filmmakers did their job. I don’t go to a book adaptation film to see the book, I go to see a cinematic version of the book. With VDT I asked somebody who hasn’t read the book what the main theme of the movie was, and they said a quest to save narnia from mist and temptation by collecting swords (he said nothing about aslans country :( !!!) In which case proved the filmmakers got it wrong.

• mixedfiction says:

I’m a Narnia fan but I haven’t read the book that many times. (I’ll be repeating them for the rest of my life, though.) For me, what went wrong with PC were: 1) Peter’s blown-up pride and hot-headedness; & 2) Suspian. Do you agree with my first point? :D

• The Doctor says:

Yes I do argree about Peters blown up pride issue, I think it was a interesting idea and could have been a good character arc if they did it more subtle, I don’t think Peter and Caspian drawing swords at each other was needed. That did make Peter my least favorite character in the movie, so to see the same thing happen to Edmund and Caspian in VDT really disappointed me. I mean the exact same thing happened. Edmund has trouble with adjusting to having a normal life after being king, Edmund is annoyed that Caspian has power over him, they draw swords and yell and threaten each other, then they forgive each other and Caspian gives Rhindon to Edmund. Sounds pretty much the same as the Peter and caspian issue.

• mixedfiction says:

Yeah, I agree with you. I hate their pride issues. Peter was completely in control of himself and of situations in the book (PC). Edmund’s actually the cool, calm one in VDT (book), giving jokes sometimes; and about the gold issue it was Caspian who fell for it (in the book), not Ed.

• The Doctor says:

I would like to comment on my above comment. I didn’t mean to make word by word movie adaptations sound bad, I would love to see the next four movies word by word but if they have to change things to make them more cinematic but keeping the spirit of the book then I’m fine with it.

I Agree!

• February says:

Sayonara, Kamisama.

• mixedfiction says:

Now it’s really too late. Will Poulter’s 20 already and they haven’t got a clue on the next film! (Unless they’re hiding something for everyone’s surprise, but I doubt that.) I really had my hopes in him because he was such a great actor, and he portrayed Eustace perfectly. He made VDT kindle hope in me, and he almost opened the door towards SC and the other books. They really should have made SC sooner, all the more because Jill Pole already had an intro in VDT’s last scene, but – sadly – they didn’t. The only thing I can see left to do is a reboot. Either of the cast (if they intend to continue SC, MN, HHB, & LB now) or of the whole chronicles.

• Farsight-messenger says:

I DON’T like a reboot for Narnia’s franchise. Just take a look on Spiderman franchise which they did a reboot. The Amazing Spiderman was the lowest in the box-office of Spidey’s franchise. Also, Douglas Gresham wants to do The Silver Chair next and continue the series. Look, all their ages are now good for their roles (except will poulter). All Pevensies are adults in HHB as well as in LB.

No reboots…. And I want to see The Silver Chair next and Walden Media really need to respect Gresham’s decision and the movie’s story must follow the book’s…..

• mixedfiction says:

Well, I didn’t say I wanted a reboot; that’s only a possibility. Actually, I want them to make SC with Poulter as Eustace and cast new people who are aged up to match him. Gresham should announce the final decision of making SC next. And you’re right, the Pevensies’ ages are on time, but wouldn’t that make a conflict in the movies because they were aged up?

About The Amazing Spiderman, I think it was lowest in box-office of Spidey because people were left scalded by Maguire’s Spiderman 3. But the movie (Garfield’s Spiderman) was great, I loved it; I think it was better than Maguire’s.

• Farsight-messenger says:

Gresham should have the final say. And as for age problems, a little make up and effects will really do! and yes, I want SC to be Narnia 4. I wish that this feb or march, they will release Narnia movie news and I hope Walden will respect Gresham’s decision. :D

• mixedfiction says:

Well, I hope so too. But we’ll see, won’t we…? ;)

• Farsight-messenger says:

just like what mr. Tumnus said: "We’ll see Him again." Lucy: "When?" Tumnus: "In time, one day He’ll be here and next He won’t." Just like Aslan, we’ll see Narnia in the big screen again. :D

• The Doctor says:

Its times like these when I wonder how its fair that a horrible series like twilight gets all its books made into movies and are extremely successful while a AMAZING series of books like narnia barley gets 3 of its books made into movies. Sad what the world has come to :(

• Farsight-messenger says:

right you are. Only few teen-agers want movies that are Christian and have Bible themes in it. So sad for that fact. Nevertheless. Many of us still don’t lose hope for Narnia’s future. However, a reboot is not a good thing. And they must respect the real story of Narnia and not to make a new story behind the original….

• The Doctor says:

See I have a friend who loves twilight and all those horrible teen fantasy romance novels, so I told her to read narnia, she read LWW and PC and told she doesn’t think the author is very good because the writing is bad, the next she had mysteriously disappeared from the face of the planet

• mixedfiction says:

I pity your friend, The Doctor. She doesn’t see the true skill of writing and the true message of profound fantasies such as Narnia. Twilight is nonsense. I heard the author’s writing style was awful, is that true?

• The Doctor says:

Oh she said c.s. Lewis’s writing style is bad (ya she’s clearly not to bright) and she could write narnia better. I gave her a huge speech and like a 14 page long text telling her how wrong she was. And of of course twilight has a bad writing style, its a whole series about a teen girl falling in love with a 100 year old vampire and a shirtless man dog (yep he isn’t even a real werewolf) not that ive read it, I’m not really into that stuff.

• mixedfiction says:

Way to go with your speech for her! :P Yeah; no.1 she (Meyer) has no storyline, no.2 she has no style. Unlike Rowling, I’ve heard Rowling is a great writer, though not everyone approves of her books’ content. Am I right? I haven’t read any Harry Potter (nor watched it) but I’d credit her for having a good writing style.

• The Doctor says:

I not sure about rowling, Im not really into HP or any of those teen fantasy series. Id much rather read children’s books (narnia) or classics. Not many good original fantasy series these days, thats one thing I don’t like about HP, it caused dozens of unoriginal knockoffs.

• The Doctor says:

Another thing I hate is when people call narnia a HP wannabe. That drives me insane

• mixedfiction says:

Wait, I realized just now. Did she just say she could Write Narnia better?! HOW DARE SHE!
        They DO? Why on earth do they call Narnia an HP wannabe? Narnia existed Way before HP.

• Anhun says:

@Doc: I kind of agree with your friend. On the one hand, the best of the Narnia books are brilliant. On the other hand, Lewis didn’t really hit his stride as a children’s author until VDT.

When he wrote LWW, his only prior experience with children’s media was telling stories in person. Now, the humorous asides that come from this background are a part of the Narnia series’ charm, but it also means that the first two books were severely lacking in psychological depth. There are a lot of things that you can convey through gesture and tone of voice in storytelling, that have to be spelled out in the narrative if you are writing a novel. LWW functions much better as a film script than a book (probably why it’s been translated to film so many times), and PC is just downright bad. In VDT, he finally realized that you can make a children’s book as deep as a an book for adults, and the result is one of the most beautiful novels I have ever read.

If I wanted to introduce the Narnia series to someone who was adolescent or older, this is how I would do it: Watch the Walden version of LWW, read the book HHB, Watch Walden PC, and read the books VDT, SC and MN in that order.

• Farsight-messenger says:

J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series of 7 books was inspired by the 7 books of Narnia. @mixedfiction, did she really said that she can write HP or other books better than Narnia? I say that her books must be 50 years old or even older to meet the GREAT success of Narnia Chronicles. Remember that the first Narnia book was written about 52 years ago. HP series was only written in 90’s.

As for the movies, too many disagreements are brewing as we all know. If they’ll reboot the series, we have to wait until 2025-2030 for The Last Battle to be released. They should continue the series. Only Eustace have now the age problem but all other characters are fit for their roles now. 2 years had passed since VDT was released and they should remember that the next Narnia film should be made for young adult audiences and not just for kids. They should do their best for the 4th one.

• mixedfiction says:

@Farsight-messenger, Quoting The Doctor, "Oh she said c.s. Lewis’s writing style is bad (ya she’s clearly not to bright) and she could write narnia better." so yes, she said that. :(
        IF there would be SC at present, who would you want to play Pole?

• Farsight-messenger says:

I love the Harry Potter series. as for what she said, no author can say and prove that he/she can write better books than those before him/her. He/she must first write about at least 50 books and he/she must be still known even he/she passed away. Leis and Tolkien are still known and famous up to this generation even if they lived over 50 years ago.

for the Jill Pole thing, not really sure. anna sophia-robb can, but at this point she cant for her age will not fit (only if Poulter will still play Eustace then she can). but I love her portrayal in Bridge to Terabithia. and who’s your pick @mixedfiction? I’m still hoping for Narnia 4 this year (to start the filming)…. ;)

• The Doctor says:

Pc downright bad?!?!? I don’t want to end up writing a huge comment about that so I will just say that while Pc is my least fav narnia book it is still in my top 7 fav books of all time (can you guessed what the other 6 are). I’m really tempted to wtite a huge comment about that but ill spare you my narnia pc rage rant. ;)

• The Doctor says:

Anhun, I would suggest you listen to the narniaweb PC podcast book commentary for a greater understanding of PC.

• mixedfiction says:

@Farsight-messenger, I don’t really know. Maybe Hailee Steinfeld? She’s my first choice (of those I know), and I like her and her performance; she’s a talented kid! Have you seen her in True Grit? I haven’t watched Anna Sophia-Robb (except in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory). Other choices might be Dakota Fanning? (Not that she’s my choice.) I think they should cast someone I haven’t heard of, same as Eustace (I never heard of Poulter before).

• mixedfiction says:

Forgot to add: Sorry my reply is late. Wasn’t able to check and answer recently.

• Farsight-messenger says:

Oh, Robb is also on The Bridge of Terabithia…. Fanning is also good. But I haven’t seen True grit yet. Whoever will be playing Jill Pole or Polly Plummer, I just really hope that she will be worthy to play the character just like the Pevensies, Caspian and Eustace as well.

• mixedfiction says:

I haven’t seen The Bridge to Terebithia. You should see True Grit, it’s a great movie; I haven’t read the book, though (True Grit is based on a novel of the same name by Charles Portis). Yeah, I agree. Of all the Narnian characters portrayed in the movies, I think Eustace was done best. I really love Poulter as Eustace, he did a brilliant job. :D

• For narnia says:

I must say the only good thing about this long wait, is When they get to make the horse and his boy William Moseley, Skandar Keynes, Anna Popplewell and Georgie Henley will be older and they can play the older Pevensies since the book says the Pevensies are grown up

• For Narnia says:

Did anybody see how old William Moseley looks now it would be real good for him to come back to play peter again in the horse and his boy. come on lets do this already Walden media!!!!

• JJ says:

They should recast Eustace and for the other characters there is no problem (since the Pevensies are all in their 20’s during Horse and His Boy and Last Battle). I know Poulter did a great job, but recasting happens a lot in franchises (like Richard Harris and Michael Gambon both played Dumbledore).
    For the next films they should leave the Pevensie trilogy alone and do Silver Chair and make it a fresh start, while only briefly mentioning the other adventures in Narnia (first 3 movies). After Silver Chair it doesn’t matter as much which movie comes next.

• Will says:

Wasn’t Dumbledore "recast" because the original actor passed away? I don’t know if/how Harris would’ve adapted to the later movies and how Gambon played them (kind of like a senile old man or slightly aloof).

• mixedfiction says:

If Silver Chair was to be done/made at present, who do you guys think should be cast as Jill Pole? My personal opinion is that Steinfeld might be a good hit. (Just an option)

• narniafan16 says:

I think they should reboot the second part of the narnia movies. It’s pretty much impossible to continue them with all the pevensies grown up now right? :( oh well. BUt yeah I agree with whoever said that it’s possible to do horse and his boy with all of them in their 20’s.

• narniafan16 says:

I really hope I can play jill pole though haha

• Yerdif says:

If they would hurry up and do Silver Chair now, I think with some make-up and effects Will Polter might be able to play Eustace. As for the other characters, the actors’ ages are good for HHB and LB, and Polter’s age wouldn’t matter for LB since Eustace and Jill are six-seven years older in LB. They should do the Silver Chair and The Magician’s Nephew at the same time, then Horse and His Boy, and then cap it up with The Last Battle. What do you think?

• Farsight-messenger says:

I am just wondering if Johnny Depp can play as Puddleglum or Uncle Andrew. But in LWW movie companion, Andrew Adamson will play Puddleglum? just thoughts Narnians! btw, will poulter can still play as Eustace, a little make-up will do! Walden Media should really make The Silver Chair next, then The Horse and His Boy, then The Magician’s Nephew and The Last Battle or they can make 2 movies and release in the same year! BEFORE 2018, THERE SHOULD BE NARNIA 4 OR ALL THINGS WILL GET WORSE…….

• mixedfiction says:

Why Johnny Depp? Yes, he is a great actor; but isn’t his name too big for a Narnia film (I mean his name might come before the movie’s title)?

• Farsight-messenger says:

oh, my bad… I just thought about it. The portrayals of McAvoy and Broadbent (Tumnus and Digory Kirke) are really great… I REALLY CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEXT NARNIA MOVIE UPDATE…..

• Farsight-messenger says:

"It’s Official! There’s now Narnia 4 and it’s going to be released next year! The next Narnia will be The Silver Chair and Will Poulter, Ben Barnes, Peter Dinklage and Liam Neeson will officially return as their respectful character portrayals in film series! The film will be released by Walden Media and Fox 2000!"

-What will you feel if you heard/read this news? hmmmmm-
    P.S. This is not official, I just want to know your thoughts :)

let’s just hope there’ll be Narnia 4 earlier than 2018!

• DrJohn says:

I fear that Walden is finished. The film making genuise at Walden was Cary Granat. He left in 2009 and will not be back. No insult meant, but M Flaherty does not know how to make films. Look at their crop since 2009. He’s an educator and administrator, but not a film maker. The only hope for Walden is to find a great film maker and give him total power to make great film. I predict that unless Walden makes some huge changes they will end up being ruined and/or irrelevant. You can mark my words. They are just wasting a billionaires money. … I love Gresham but I’m not sure he knows how to make films either. Plus you can’t make films by committee. They end up being a mess. The films also cannot be made one at a time. Nothing will come of that. The Narnia world needs to be looked at as a package and shared with our world in many different ways. (graphic novels, TV mini series, movies, books, games) It would take a creative genuise (like Weadon, Jackson, Abbrams) to adopt the entire world and work on a 20 year plan to bring Narnia to life. It would also require the production/writing of anxiliar products to fill in the blanks. Everyone is afraid to do what needs to be done, so there will be no success. The stories were not written to be movies. They were children’s books. And often they are internally inconsistent and strange. It would take a lot of planning and work to create a cohesive whole that explains every element and makes sense of the whole thing. These factors all work against Narnia every being anything than a wish for us who live it and love CS Lewis.

• Cyrene says:

It is sad that some movies get way more notice than the Narnia series. If only people could see Narnia through the eyes of us fans. They’re truly missing out on an excellent story. I really hope that somehow, Walden Media will be able to carry on with the movies. And if it’s God’s will, it will bring in way more box office revenues than ever imagined! You never know what amazing things could happen when everything seems so hopeless. For Narnia!

• Dan Parrish says:

I would hope everyone finds a way to work together to get a new Narnia film before the public before everyone forgets the Narnia saga. I vote for The Magician’s Nephew quickly followed by the The Silver Chair and then the following two remaining books made into movies. People are seeking the complete series in film format.

• The Doctor says:

I think if all the book fans can wash the filth of VDT out of their mouth and see the movies, the then they could make all four.

• ERB says:

1 word: REBOOT

• Alex says:

Okay, look the three films were done perfect

Think of it this way, if a movie was made exactly like the movie, would you really want to watch it? It would be boring wouldn’t it?

Personally, they need to go on with Silver Chair. They picked a perfect Eustace and they need to get the Silver Chair done quickly before they lose the actor.

• The Doctor says:

Are you suggesting that the first 3 films were perfect?!? If so you might need to reread the books. They got several things wrong With LWW and PC and don’t even mention VDT. The first two are great but not perfect. The movies dont have to be exactly the same as the book but they need to keep the spirit, themes, and messages of the book. Do you think c.s. Lewis would like how they changed VDT? I don’t think a narnia movie would be boring if it was exactly like the book either, I think Lewis knew how to tell a good story. Didn’t mean to rant, but that’s what i love about narniaweb, you get discuss stuff like this with other fans. :)

• Farsight-messenger says:

I totally agree with you! "The movies dont have to be exactly the same as the book but they need to keep the spirit, themes, and messages of the book." also they did a mess in VDT. green mist and seven swords must be removed and the island transition must be kept. however, Will Poulter is a great actor for Eustace. In LWW, they should made a much bigger focus in Aslan’s sacrifice, his reurrection and the coronation in cair paravel scenes.

• Aslan's #1 Fan says:

I can see what your saying. No movie is perfect. Based on a book or no. But LWW was actually pretty close. (I’m not standing up for the last two).
        But I can’t see how they could have drawn out Stone Table sequence, or the scenes just before. If I remember rightly they cut out like maybe a page or two from the book. I just can’t see how they could make it any better.
        I can see another movie remake be just AS good. But I just can’t see how it could be "better". I guess I could be wrong but I have a hard time seeing it. ;)

• mixedfiction says:

I disagree with your first point.

I agree. A movie can’t always have the same pace as a book it is based on.

Agreed.

• mixedfiction says:

But still, a film adaptation (of a book) must keep to its original story as much as possible.