Sony and eOne to Distribute ‘The Silver Chair’!

Posted August 9, 2016 2:00 pm by Glumpuddle

A huge step for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair! Narnia.com has announced that the film will be financed by TriStar, eOne and The Mark Gordon Company with Sony and eOne distributing the picture. Mark Gordon, Douglas Gresham, Vincent Sieber, and Melvin Adams will produce. Read the press release.

TriStar_Pictures_2015_logo

With the move, the franchise, which has taken in nearly $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office, receives a new creative team that will tackle the continuing story with a fresh approach to capture a broad global audience.

Mark Gordon: “Developing this project with The C.S. Lewis Company has been immensely exciting and a real joy. We are so pleased to team up with our good friends at TriStar and our partners at eOne to introduce this new, magical chapter of the Narnia franchise to fans around the world, both old and new,”

Douglas Gresham: “It’s been both fun and exciting to work with Mark Gordon and David Magee to develop the next Narnian movie, and now it’s a thrill to welcome Tristar to our Narnia family. I greatly look forward to plunging again into the joys and challenges of once more bringing Narnia to the screen, this time with the wonderful story of The Silver Chair.

What does this mean? The Silver Chair has financing and distribution, which significantly increases its chances of being made. But there is still no release date or director at this time.

Stay tuned for NarniaWebber reactions in an upcoming podcast. In the meantime, please post your thoughts below or in the discussion forum.

• The Rose-Tree Dryad says:

NEWS! Oh heavens there’s /NEWS/.

Pardon me while I go run around the block.

• narnia fan 7 says:

I’m glad the film is finally moving forward!

• C says:

I just want to audition for Jill Pole

• Aslan's_Meadow says:

I am much more skeptical since DT….I PRAY that they are faithful.

• Lasaraleen says:

AMEN!! I can’t believe how long I’ve been waiting for this next film. It would be a pity if it was another dime-novel plot like DT.

• SGK474 says:

Hurray! I’m delighted to hear this news. I love it that Narnia will be shared with a new audience 🙂 I’ve read the books many times and I’ve loved the films.

• MusgraveMan says:

The TriStar logo would fit perfectly with Magician’s Nephew, (good old Fledge), but I’m still glad they are going with Silver Chair next.

• Sirius says:

Aslan bless it!

• Eliseo says:

Finally! News! Any word on a budget amount??

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

I almost could not believe this for a second!

There is still a lot to learn (casting, director, budget, etc), but this is still cause for celebration.

• MinotaurforAslan says:

Holy moly. Saw the news on facebook and then came to this site for the details. Haven’t been here in years! All the old, familiar usernames in the comments section here. This is such a memory trip.

• Narnian1 says:

Well! I’m sure glad to finally get more word on the development of this movie!

• Skilletdude says:

Well, it looks like I will be visiting the General Movie Discussion forum a lot more often again with you all. My favorite Narnia book is finally getting the big screen treatment! I hope the excitement pays off for us.

• Liberty Hoffman says:

whoa, I never thought I’d see the day…I still am not as excited as I used to be…

• Bother Eustace says:

Wow… This story on my Facebook newsfeed brought me back to Narniaweb for the first time in such a very, very long time…

I miss the old days.

• Son of Rillian says:

I wish Walden Media would be involved with this movie.

• David West says:

Why? They butchered Dawn Treader horribly! I think a new creative team is exactly what the series needs!

• Son of Rillian says:

I thought they still owns the rights to Narnia till 2018.

• Roger says:

One of the reasons that this project is moving slow is because Walden still owns some of the rights. Walden did butcher VDT. Good riddance Walden. I hope that Sony does not butcher this one. The Silver Chair is one of my favorite books.

• PassingTheLampPost says:

Hooray! Can’t wait for the whole trainride of anticipation to start again!

Further up and further in!

• Son of Adam says:

Yay!!!! Yahoooooooooooo!!!!!! 😀
    I’m so super excited!!!!! 😀
    For Narnia!!!!! and For Aslaaaan!!!!!
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• GlimGlum says:

Some good news at last for The Silver Chair. 🙂 Can’t wait to see Jill, Eustace, Puddleglum, and Narnia again on the big screen. 😀

• Reepicheep775 says:

Wow. Exciting news!! I feel a lot more confidant that this film will actually be made after this news.

• Shy Galadriel says:

Oh my goodness! This is such exciting news!!! We’re coming so close!!!!!

• Zidders Roofurry says:

I’d just like to say, Yay! Also-thanks for keeping the love for this series going. This is my first vist here-Hi! I’ve been a huge fan of the Narnia series since I was a child (back in the 70’s). C.S. Lewis & Tolkien are my most favorite authors.

I hope for all our sake’s this film is good!

• Anfinwen says:

Welocome to Narniaweb! I found it during the production of VDT. I lurked around for a while then finally jumped into the Forum. There’s lots more discussion and fun stuff there.

• Anfinwen says:

News! NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like nothing was happening, now I get on Narniaweb and there are three headlines! I’m so happy I feel like I could explode!

• Ernesto says:

Good thing there will be a new movie The Chronicles of Narnia The Silver Chair and I want to see that production will be as succesful hope . We hope what has already director of the new movie The Chronicles of Narnia The Silver Chair but anyway.

• wolfloversk says:

*squees* Still taking the prospect of them actually getting it done and doing it well with a grain of salt, but still very squee worthy. *squeee***

• MrBeaver says:

Such exciting news! There’s such a positive buzz this time! With David Magee writing and Douglas Gresham strongly wanting something pure narnia, I’m so excited, finally 3 years on we have something verging on concrete. I do hope they keep the continuation though, Id love to see Georgie Henley back for ‘The Horse and his Boy’ Id love all the original Pevensies there -for pure nostalgia. Id love at the end of ‘The Magicians Nephew’ for Jim Broadbend to end it. It would be nice for it to feel as one series where possible (Eustace Scrubb may have to be the exception) but most importantly am I the only one who can’t imagine accepting any other voice but Liam Nessons as Aslan? So, much good news but I hope it will be a series. Though the fact it’s taking so long suggests they’re being careful and considering things which is such good news! -Long Time Narniawebber, first time to comment, that’s how excited I am!!!!

• Aslan#1Fan says:

I was so excited when I read this that I was LITERALLY jumping up and down and had the silliest grin on my face. Thank you Mr. Gresham for not giving up on Narnia because I HAVEN’T!

• Katy says:

OMG! It’s amazing. We were waiting so long and now DREAM COME TRUE. Now waiting for more news and maybe in close future trailer!))))

• Dan says:

So glad to hear another Narnia movie will come! Had all but given up on that! I hope that The Silver Chair is more true to the book than was Dawn Treader. That movie was a great production, but took some great leaps in detouring from the book.

• Narnian88 says:

This is awesome news!! So happy to hear an update that progress is being made. And with Sony and Tristar (Fledge!) involved, hopefully this will be much better than VDT (IMHO, worst of the three, accuracy-wise). Maybe those involved will realize it was straying away from the source material in VDT that caused it to do poorly in theaters. Looking forward to seeing this very much if they get it right!

• HPofNARNIA says:

Wow, I totally expected this to happen. I was expecting that maybe New line cinema to do the film.
    There r a few films I’ve seen from Tristar- Matilda, Madeline. But the only film I’ve ever liked from them was Jumanji. The only film I’ve seen was the live action Paddington.

• Father Time says:

The last news I heard an update was 3 years ago. OMG! This is so amazing, they’re moving forward

• TwoJediScumFromCoruscant says:

Yay!!!! I can’t believe it!! Now all we need is a release date and the actors…

• narniaheroes says:

Praying that Andrew Adamson will direct this one. Although Apted did do a beautiful job as well, I can’t help but love Adamson more

• ilsjnelizia says: