The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe DVD/Blu-ray
Editions (Click to order):
- BLU-RAY: 2-Disc
- DVD: 4-Disc Extended Edition
- DVD: 4-Disc Extended Edition Gift Set
- DVD: 2-Disc Collector’s Edition
- DVD: 1-Disc Fullscreen
- DVD: 1-Disc Widescreen
- NarniaWeb – BD
- NarniaWeb – Extended Edition
- NarniaWeb – 1-Disc WS DVD
- IGN – 2-Disc DVD
- Blu-ray.com – BD
- 4 April 2006: 1-Disc WS, 1-Disc FS, 2-Disc Collectors
- 20 Nov 2006: Extended Edition (UK)
- 12 Dec 2006: Extended Edition (US)
- 13 May 2008: Blu-ray
NarniaWeb News Links:
- ‘Wardrobe’ Blu-ray Specs and Cover Art
- Disney Shows Off Narnia Blu-ray Disc
- LWW Blu-ray Coming Spring 2008
- Extended Edition Nominated for Saturn Award
- Narnia is #2 DVD of 2006
- Extended Edition Replacment Booklets
- Extended Edition Going Into Disney Vault
- ‘Royal Edition’ Available for Pre-Buy
- UK Release Date Set for November 20
- Narnia Extended Edition Preview at Comic-Con
- Narnia Tops Easter Week DVD Charts
- DVD Tops Sales Charts
- Narnia DVD Easter Eggs
- Extended Version of LWW in the Works?
- Narnia DVD Coming April 4
- LWW DVD Already in the Works
DVD Easter Egg (Disc 2)
- Turkish Delight: Highlight “Anatomy of a Scene: The Melting River” and navigate LEFT.
(We have been unable to locate the “Turkish Delight” video on the LWW Blu-ray. If you find it, let us know!)
COMPARING EDITIONS: Not sure which one is for you?
DVD: 1-Disc vs. 2-Disc
Both editions include:
- Audio Commentary: Director Andrew Adamson and the four Pevensie actors
- Audio Commentary: Director Andrew Adamson, Producer Mark Johnson, Production Designer Roger Ford
- Discover Narnia Fun Facts
- The Bloopers of Narnia
In addition to the above, the 2-Disc edition includes:
- CREATURES LANDS & LEGENDS:
- Creatures of the World
- Explore Narnia
- Legends in Time
- CREATING NARNIA:
- Chronicles of a Director
- The Children’s Magic Journey
- From One Man’s Mind
- Cinematic Storytellers: Richard Taylor, Howard Berger, Isis Mussenden, Roger Ford, Don McAlpine, Sim Evan-Jones, Harry Gregson-Williams, Mark Johnson.
- Creating Creatures: White Witch, Aslan, Tumnus, Wolves, Centaurs, Minotaurs, Ankle Slicers, Ginarrbrik, Beavers, Satyrs, Goblins.
- Anatomy of a Scene: The Melting River
DVD: 1-Disc Widescreen vs. 1-Disc Fullscreen
- The only difference between these two editions is the aspect ratio.
- The Widescreen version presents the movie in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio (the way it was seen in theaters).
- The Fullscreen version presents the movie with a 4:3 aspect ratio, which cuts off parts of the left and right sides of the frame, but expands the top and bottom.
(The 2-Disc and Extended editions are only available in Widescreen)
4-Disc Extended Edition vs. 2-Disc Collector’s Edition
- The Extended Edition (EE) features a cut of the film that is eight minutes longer (this is the only version of the film on this release). It also includes an introduction by Director Andrew Adamson. A complete description of the added material is included in our review.
- The EE includes all the extras from the 2-Disc edition, and more. Discs 3 and 4 are exclusive to the EE.
- EE Disc 3 is a documentary called “C.S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia.”
- EE Disc 4 includes a unique behind-the-scenes look at the film called “Visualizing The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” as the main feature. It also has a new video called “Anatomy of a Scene: Behind the Battle,” and concept artwork.
- The Extended Edition Gift Set includes two highly detailed bookends of Lucy and Tumnus
Advantages of Blu-ray Disc:
- The main attraction to the Blu-ray Disc is that it presents the movie in High Definition. A Blu-ray Disc can store five times as much information as a DVD, and this results in far superior video and audio quality.
- The LWW Blu-ray Disc includes one feature that is not on any of the DVD releases: “The Battle for Narnia Interactive Game.” It also includes “Anatomy of a Scene: Behind the Battle,” which first appeared on Disc 4 of the Extended Edition.
- Over the past few years, Disney has earned a reputation for producing some of the finest quality Blu-ray Discs, and constantly pushing the limits of the format.
NOTE: In order to experience a movie in High Definition, you must have all of the following:
1) A Blu-ray Disc Player or PlayStation 3
2) An HDMI or Component cable
3) A High-Definition Television
4) The movie on Blu-ray Disc