Simon Pegg Replaces Bill Nighy as the Voice of Reepicheep

Posted June 20, 2010 8:45 am by Tirian

Simon Pegg, the new voice for Reepicheep

NarniaWeb has learned from a production source that Bill Nighy has been dropped from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and has been replaced by British actor Simon Pegg. Best known for his role as Scotty in the 2009 Star Trek film, Pegg has also appeared in Band of Brothers, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, and How to Lose Friends and Alienate People.

This is not the first time that a major character in the Narnia film franchise has been recast. Fans will remember that Brian Cox was originally set to voice Aslan, but in July 2005 he was replaced by Liam Neeson.

IMDB: Simon Pegg

Simon Pegg’s Twitter Account

Here’s a brief clip of Simon Pegg speaking with TIME magazine:

• Aslanisthebest says:

Well, it is pretty confusing why they’re just replcing Reepicheep’s voice, but… ah, well, it’s a change I don’t mind provided there aren’t any other leading-to-major changes tagging behind.

• JadistarkilleR says:

confusing indeed. so whose voice was that in the trailer? Simon Pegg’s or Bill Nighy?

and why is it that they’re not getting Eddie Izzard back?

oh and not that i doubt Pegg’s caliber (he is such a great actor. hello Hot Fuzz?!?! :D) but if he’s gonna start having Reep sound like Scotty i’m gonna laugh out loud so much whenever he talks the cinema people will throw me out.

• Abren says:

I have no idea why they would replace his voice because repicheeps voice was perfect, but ive seen simon pegg in many movies including Star Trek 2009 in which he was amazing, so i have no doubt he will do a good job

• Teddy C says:

Amazing? That’s a pretty loaded word to describe a good acting performance.

• Orieus_Freak says:

Considering the entire cast in Star Trek was amazing, it’s not that loaded. I think he’ll do an amazing job as Reepicheep, as long as he doesn’t sound too different =)

• ArwinUndomiel says:

I Loved him in Star Trek, so maybe it isn’t that bad of a change. But in the trailer it sounded like the other guy. So, what are they going to do? And what was wrong with the other guy???
    Again though, I loved him in Star Trek, "I LIKE this ship. It’s so exciting!" lol

• Timo says:

he looks like a mouse.. That’s a good thning I think? :p

• Fire Fairy says:

Who cares who does Reep, as long as it sounds like him? That’s all that matters to me, is that he /sounds/ like Reepicheep!

• Matthias of Redwall says:

"Beam me up Scotty!"

"Captain, I’m givin it all she’s got!"

• Luiz Alves says:

Funny how the news says he is best known by those movies, and I can only see him as Shaun from Shaun of the Dead and Tim Bisley from Spaced.

• Wyldeirishman says:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

He is best known for the roles you mentioned but NarniaWeb is hardly going to encourage it’s members (many of which are rather young) to watch movies/TV series with strong language – no matter how creative and well-written they are.

• tolkienlewisfan says:

just because you mention it does not mean your supporting it. Like if Heath Ledger was in a role for narnia (yes he’s dead humor me) and they mentioned him playing in Brokeback Mountain it doesn’t mean Narniaweb promotes same-sex relationships.

• Sammie says:

I think Simon Pegg will do just fine as Reepicheep. The first time I ever saw Pegg was actually as a self-serving, corporate-like villain in "Doctor Who", and he did it so well I was surprised to read that he was actually known for comedy. He also has a nice enough narrative voice (see all of the "Doctor Who Confidentials" from the Eccleston season). I believe he’ll be just as good as Izzard was.

I’m just glad they didn’t, you know, recast Lucy or something.

• Christopher says:

WOW! That’s a great choice! (Little homage to the STAPLES commercial. Hee Hee.) But seriously, I am MUCH more comfortable with Simon Pegg voicing Reepicheep, than Bill Nighy. Simon’s perfect! I thought he was absolutely adorable as BUCK THE WEASEL in ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS. They’re a lot the same, too! Buck was a charming, smooth-talking swashbuckler, just like Reepicheep! This is a wonderful, pleasant surprise! I’m very happy with this Reepicheep! Now…. set sail, Dawn Treader!

• tolkienlewisfan says:

WTF! Repicheep is suffering an identity crisis lol.

• NarniaFan says:

If Pegg did the voice in the trailer, it’s spot-on with Reepicheep in Prince Caspian. The continuity is much better this way… Now if only they would have kept Caspian’s accent, all would be good. :(

• Lanturn wast says:

Sweet niblits I love this guy, his accent is so cool I can’t wait. :)

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Okey-doke, I am officially completely confused! Reepicheep voice recast… twice! *looks to make sure that it isn’t April 1st* Is this a joke? What in the name of fishballs is production trying to do?
    Well, at least nobody else has been recast.

• Cynthia says:

kind of random to change voices to Bill Nighy and then drop him before he even records as Reep in a movie officially… but I think I like it. I was initially concerned that, although Bill Nighy is a great actor, his voice was too deep for Reep. Simon Pegg is a great choice in my opinion. a much better voice

• NarnianAllTheWay says:

Was he the voice of Reepicheep in the trailer? Or was that Bill Nighy?

• ibart9 says:

oh geez. i pray it wasnt pegg’s voice in the trailer. i cant stand "trailer Reepicheep"’s voice

• ibart9 says:

ok i went back and listened to Reep in the trailer, then to Pegg’s Time interview. Trailer Reep’s voice sounds a little bit too high & smooth to be MY REEPICHEEP. Pegg’s voice is slightly lower and more gravely than Traler Reep, so unless they whipped out voice tweaks, I think it might be Nighy

• lysander says:

I don’t understand why everyone is adverse to the idea of Reep’s voice being high and squeaky. Lewis described it as "shrill and piping," aka, sort of like a real mouse’s. Why everyone expects for him to have a deeper voice is lost on me.

I was really excited about having Bill Nighy in this role, but I can live with Pegg.

• asel15 says:

Ok, this is weird. Somehow sombinging like my 2 favorite things (star trek and narnia). I do think Simon Pegg is a much better choie than the other guy… just in my opinion .

• Countess Shamira says:

I sure am going to miss the actor who first voiced Reep.
    Even if the newest one is supposed to be better.

• MurtaghLuv says:

relieved! nighy didn’t seem the right voice. but pegg might just be the runner up from izzard. so i’ll just have to wait and see

3 Trackbacks / Pingbacks for this entry