The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Video Game Has Been Cancelled!

Posted July 12, 2010 1:27 pm by fantasia_kitty

Yep it’s true! For the past few weeks, there had been no word of a Dawn Treader video game of any kind. Even at the E3 Expo last month (which is a HUGE convention for video games) nothing was revealed, not even a mention of the game let alone a preview.

The last news we had heard on it was that Nihilistic Software was developing the Dawn Treader game, but it was based on the old leaked script (including the Lady of the Green Kirtle as the likely final boss you had to defeat).

NarniaWebber icarus contacted Nihilistic inquiring about the game and received a reply that the game has indeed been cancelled.

As to why the game was cancelled, Nihilistic was working on the game with Disney Interactive but when Disney left the series, the game was cancelled immediately. Because Fox has a different video game publishing strategy than Disney, it was decided not to continue on with it. icarus was also told that the termination of the game was very amicable and both sides were happy with how everything was resolved.

• Quinlin says:

I honestly have nothing to say……

• Narnia Ultimate Fan says:

Neither do I.

• icarus says:

It is slightly unfortunate timing for this information to come out today, just 1 day after we hear that Fox aren’t holding a Narnia Comic-Con panel as suddenly this becomes a second prime example of Fox Penny Pinching in as many days, when really this decision was made way back during the whole Disney-to-Fox drama, and we just never heard about it till now. Its still mightily depressing news though.

• Liberty Hoffman says:

me either! I don’t play video games normally, so…..

• narnia365 says:

Yep. Same here.

• Pepper Darcy says:

I could care less as well, just as long as they have a calendar and I would like to get a Lucy action figure for this movie! I hope they don’t cancel those! =/

• Duffleglum says:

All I ask is that they have their whole budget focus on producing a far better movie than the last two…

and this news makes me believe that they’re doing just that 😀

• TumnusTheBrave says:

ohh man i have been waiting for the video game forever too 🙁 i dont think u understand how disappointed i am

• Aliea says:

I do, i’ve wanted to get a narnia game sence LWW, but i can’t get T games… i was sooo looking forward to VDT… it could have been at least an E10… now i’ll just have to go back to being taunted by the LWW game that’s allways at the local gamestop 🙁

I TOO AM DEVASTATED!!!!

• JasonO. says:

I’m bummed too. I have LWW and Prince Caspian for my PS2 and enjoyed both. I even have a BBC version board game of the original LWW film. I was really looking forward to this video game.

• StBrianofMinneapolis says:

Not worried here as well, although I do remember when the movie franchise seemed canceled.

• Bother Eustace says:

Wait, does this mean there won’t be a VDT video game at all, or does it just mean that Nihilistic’s version has been cancelled? Is someone else going to develop it, or is there just not going to be one?

• icarus says:

The way it was described to me makes that seem unlikely that we will get a VDT game with another studio. Unlike Disney, Fox simply aren’t that big on video games (they sold of their Fox Interactive division ages ago, and they tend to license out their major film franchises to other video game publishers) so it didn’t sound like it was a case of wanting to bring new people in to develop the game, but rather not wanting to do one at all.

• Lucy says:

Good thing I don’t care much for video games in general. As long as the MOVIE is not canseled, I’m okay.

• Skilletdude says:

I had no interest in the first two games, and considering that video games based off of theatrical films are usually poor quality, I also don’t really mind it being cancelled. Maybe the game developers were sick and tired of trying to figure out ways to incorporate action scenarios and battles into the original plot. The hack and slash formula of gameplay just doesn’t suit the island hopping nature of VDT. :p

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

ARENT THERE pirates of the carribean games? and do they do well? seems like it would be similar?

• Daredevil says:

Check out the new Pirates of the Caribbean game "Armada of the Damned". It looks swweeeeeett!!!

• Narnian Meerkat says:

Well that sucks. . .oh, well, I’m not too upset. Not a big fan of video games anyway. But having a VDT game would be cool.

• Caty says:

*Gasp* I can’t believe this! Ironically enough I was playing the Prince Caspian game for wii as I read this. While I do love the movies more than the video games (the books more than the movies) the games are fun to play. It make one feel like they really are in Narnia.

• Mark Sommer says:

I think this is a good thing. I am not against video games, per se, but I have long felt that Disney made some the (poorer) changes to the storylines to make the movies easier to adapt to video games. For example, in LWW the whole floating-down-the-river-with-the-sword-in-the-ice sequence is more like a video game than anything which would enhance the plot.

• Waleed Sajjad Khan says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?! I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *SIGH* but I guess as long as it doesn’t affect the movie I’ll survive.

• Waleed Sajjad Khan says:

Oh and by the way, I temporarilly lost my LWW main game cd 🙁

• 220chrisTian says:

@Mark Sommer: complete agreement. I have no problem with a video game of VDT being cancelled. I’ve never played video games and never cared for that type of entertainment. But I do think it’s bad timing regarding VDT promotion….

• LOTRFREAK says:

they’ll make a game just not this one they where working on that sounded dumb anyway.

• silverPhoenix says:

eh…I’m sort of glad there probably won’t be a video game.

ok im not too freaked out. that does sound dissapointing but it looks like the Nihilistic’s version is the one being canceled, but Fox might still develop it within time. i’ve known them to be not as crazy about making games as Disney is. in fact the video game area is basically as important as the movie area for Disney, its a big thing for them, but not for Fox. i dont mind it at all, but of course i’ll be very happy if they do make a game. as long as things are great with the movie, im good!

• FrecklefaceJill says:

I normally do not play with video games, but I would have bought the VDT one, so this isn’t too big a disapointment, but it still is a bit of one. **sniffles**

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Awww 🙁 I have both the LWW and PC video games (although I’ve been stuck at the White Witch resurrection battle for like two years, haha). But I guess maybe this is for the battle…movie-based video games are rarely good, anyway.

Hopefully, they’ll end up using that money somewhere else, like other forms of marketing.

I wouldn’t have played the game anyway, but it’s still disappointing they’re not doing one. All I can say is, this movie had better be good to make up for everything. If they’re penny-pinching with some things, they had better put all that saved money into VDT’s special effects and make it spectacular!

• Caspian XI says:

AAAWWW!!!!! I was looking forward to the VDT video game ='(

• Talvi says:

Same here! :'( I like both LWW and PC games… I was really looking forward to having a VDT game. Gah… I hope another studio picks it up!

• Jessica says:

WHAT THE HELL???!!!

• Christian Miles says:

Snap. I was really looking forward to seeing how they’d adapt a Dawn Treader game. 🙁

• son of rillian says:

no…no NO NNNNNNNOOOOOOO. this cant be hapenig, this cant be, i was realy looking forward to it since…forever. i dont it to end like this. NO NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

i know-and how could they make a game from another narnia movie if they make more movies- they’d have a gap in the games, this probably puts the nail in the coffin for any more vgames : (

• Movie Aristotle says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am heartbroken. The best video game I have ever played was The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and I’m not just saying that becuase I’m a Narnia fan either. The game was very well crafted. Prince Caspian was also a fun game and I was looking forward to seeing Voyage of the Dawn Treader, even though I was disappointed at the change of studio. I wonder if it is too late for Traveler’s Tales to whip something up?

• QueenLucy12 says:

NOOOO! Oh well i was gunna get it. plus they need to have their mind set on making the movie anyway

More weirdness.

• 7chronicles says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

Quite apt given the name of the software company behind it. Nihilistic Software indeed!

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

I hope the movie is good enough to make up for all of the absences elsewhere.

• TigerPole says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was counting on a new video game! The whole series being made into movies is the most important of course! But, I wish there were going to be a video game. I didn’t like Disney Interactive Studio’s Prince Caspian game, which wasn’t THAT fun. But I LOVED LWW’s video game by Buena (sp?) Vista! It doesn’t have to be action-packed, it could be quest-like with, a little fighting with the dragon. The player could try in the whole to rescue the seven lords, battle with the governor, and help Edmund with the whole weird White Witch thing! There are plenty more potential game levels and quests! I was just thinking today as I did my chores, ‘I can’t wait for VDT and the VDT video game to come out!’ Oh well! Maybe there will be, maybe there won’t. I got a wii last Christmas, and I was hoping to use my wii stick as a sword!

• Not Of This World says:

I was too!

• April says:

Ya. I REALLY was looking forward to the game! I adored PC’s game, not so much LWW. I was wondering how they would make VDT without a lot of battles, but I mean, there are video games out there that aren’t all swish and slash. I was hoping this would be one of them. Ah well. If they DO decide to make a video, I’ll buy five hundred copies =P. I’d love to use my wii control for anything in the game :P.

• TigerPole says:

April. Maybe I like the LWW game better because the levels look more organized at the beginning! I hope you don’t think I meant to say that the PC game was awful! In my opinion it’s ok. But I just liked Buena (sp?) Vista’s game quality and design better!

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

do you use the wii stick as a sword in the pc game?

• Knight of the Lion says:

This is very strange.

• decarus says:

This is a weird bit of news.

• Bookwyrm says:

Meh. Not that upset. I thought the LWW video game was pretty crappy and the PC game ran so sluggishly on my laptop that I uninstalled it in disgust.

• humdedum says:

I thought it ran on PS2? :S My friend got both games, but I don’t think she ran it on her computer.

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

neither game was for mac, i had to go out and buy aa brand new ps2 just for the games, and just got a wii in anticipation for VDT- soooooooo bummmmmmmmmmmed

• sammy says:

i can’t believe that the voyage of the dawn treader game has been cancelled, i’ve been looking foward to the game being released as i have both LWW and PC on game. well i am disappointed but as long as the movie insn’t cancelled, i’ll be ok

• QueenLucy12 says:

they better make a cd of the movie like they did the lion the witch and the wardrobe and prince caspian

• QStheG says:

Bastards..This is all Disney’s fault

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

yeah, and it was THEIR fault in the firsst place for moving the release from december and that started the whole downward spiral. if they left it alone it would have done fine, we’d have a game, tons of merchandising,a narnia exhibit with the stars opening day at disney world, etc. for vdt – arggggh

• Not Of This World says:

Ecsuse me QStheG, don’t curse. There are kids on this website.

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

i cannot freakin’ believe this, i am still sitting here with my mouth hanging open!!!!!! arghhhh! I am not a gamer and went out and bought a PS2 just to play narnia games! Now i bought a Wii JUST FOR THE VT game! I was hoping they wouod have flying on the dragon, like Harry Potter fans have flying quittich on their game. And i was really looking forward to a game that was more "quest-like" instead of PC button mashing.(although i do like playing as the centaur and galloping around.) this is CRAZY!!!! A huge part of income is video games, so i dont get this at all. although i do agree disney changed plotlines in PC to sell a battle game. Half the fun of the game(even for a non gamer like me) is to feel like you are live IN narnia, hangin with the kids> this totally s#cks!!!! i was having a bad day, came to narniaweb for a pickmeup- and now this- argggggghhhhh!!! and nothing AT COMICCON?? what the heck? are we even going to get a calendar or bookmarks???? geeessssshhhhh how about a freakin soundtrack?? gonna cut that too?? NOT HAPPY- FOX!!! yeah, thanks a bunch, disney, i wanted to meet the cast at Dworld and now that aint gonna happen either– how is it that WB manages to do up Potter merchandising so well?? unbelieveable——— : ( sorry to vent, kids

• QueenLucy12 says:

oh they BETTER do a soundtrack and Calendar

• CoriaKing says:

I’m SURE they’ll make a soundtrack. I cant think of one movie that doesn’t have one. Even the boring ones. XD

• Melodie says:

I too was having a bad day and came to narniaweb for a pickmeup too…and I got it when I read your paragraph. LOL! Thanks for the chuckles!!! 🙂 And making my day a little brighter.

• Jessica says:

Why are you using "socks" a.k.a "s#cks" as a swear word??

• U&me says:

When were you or any of us going to be able to meet the cast at Disney World…or "DWorld"? If you are, you better spill all you know and tell us everything!!!!

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

go to youtube.com and put "narnia" into the search box- there are different videos of the cast going to different disney parks around the world,meeting the fans, signing autographs on opening day in each country. also there is footage of people in the narnia exhibits, in case you never made it to one.

THIS IS THE WORST NEWS THIS YEAR- BLECHHHHHH

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

well, at least we still have a movie, thanks be to Aslan- : ) i guess im calming down- a LITTLE

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

HEY FOX_ HOW ABOUT AN INTELLIGENT BOARD GAME, AT LEAST? or maybe a narnia chess set?? or card game like the PC card game??? something the numerous adult fans can enjoy?? PLEASE RECONSIDER the VIDEO GAME —- ARGGGGGGGGGHHH

• Casue says:

Darn i wanted to get a new video game 4 xmas.
    Anyway i was on IMDb.com and i looked up Voyage of the Dawn Treader and guess who is on the cast list when you extend it?????

William Moseley and Anna Popplewell.
    Talk amongst yourselves.
    It mite be changed soon so go on IMDb.

• KingofKings'Daughter says:

Eh…nothing to say either. A movie doesn’t always have to have a video game accompanying.

• narnian1 says:

Disappointed that there will be no video game, I have LWW for Gameboy Advance, I have PC for DS Lite, and was hoping to get VDT for Wii. oh well, no use fussing over this-

At least we still have the movie to look forward too. and the books whenever. But still, a game would have made my day. 🙁

• Ranger says:

Honestly I didn’t think much of the other two games. I really don’t like hack and slash all that much anyway.

• Laura says:

Oh no, even though I don’t play video games that much I was still hoping for one to buy in order to play it once and then give it to my little brother! But It is true that I prefered this to be cancelled instead of the movie!

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

C’MON! If nothing else, having the game would add to marketing…PLEASE RECONSIDER!!! VDT would make an awesome game!! 🙁

man!!!!! i was planning on getting it so i’d have the LWW one, the PC one, and now the VOTDT one!

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

yeah, really! its stupid to break up the trilogy. with the other movies, they could have dropped the games. dorks

• KingSkandartheJust says:

aw… oh well. I’m not a big fan of movie based video games anyway.

• Aliea says:

*Sniff* I was really looking forward to this game… they could have made it sooo good. like, playing as Eustace in Drgon form, playing as Reep, exploring the islands, *Reaches for tissue box* i hope some other company makes a "Non-movie" VTD game trying to catch the fan base or something.
    (They did that with "How to Train your Dragon". The movie and game come out and, Boom, Viking and Dragon stuff is everywhere…)

• Omac the centaur says:

i’m mad. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! why?! why would they do such a thing?! will they still make one in the future?

• Not Of This World says:

I hope so.

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

i wonder if we could start a petition???

• Not Of This World says:

Could we "Contact Narniaweb" and try to get something started?

• Not Of This World says:

Wait! I’v got it!!!! Narnia Battlefront! If you’ve ever played Star Wars Battlefront, you’ll know how fun that game is. And if we could get to come over to Narnia (not just Narnia, other movies too:) think of how great that game will be!!!!!!

• Aslanisthebest says:

Well…I can’t say I wasn’t obscurely and vaguely looking forward to it, but I wasn’t pining on the fact "There’s going to be another video game!!!" Plus, if it was going to be more puzzles and stuff like the PC one was, I wouldn’t have been interested–due to the fact that VDT hardly has any major, focal villians.

• Melodie says:

Isn’t your favourite outfit the orange dress Lucy wore in Prince Caspian? If so, I actually saw one online that is the exact replica and it comes in mens sizes. Here’s the link:

• Hannah says:

I find this rather disappointing…especially after the Comic-con news. I was hoping Fox would outshine Disney in marketing, but so far, in my eyes, Disney did a much better job of hyping up the film.

• narnia fan 7 says:

weird no Comic-con and now no video game to be honest im not upset over the video game.

• Reepicheep says:

Another example of Fox’s miniscule marketing campaign, if there ever was one. I reckon they’re expecting VDT to be a flop.

• Duffleglum says:

hmm good point, but the trailer was so fabulous, I believe that they’re just keeping a bit lower key so that viewers don’t get sick of spoilers.

I’ve already seen a big poster-scene-thing-ummy of VoDT @ a theater!

• Cynthia says:

FAIL.

• Peter the Magnificant says:

Well this is not that bad because I never played the games really but I do like the fact that u kinda feel like your in Narnia while your playing it. I’m a little dissapointed but still ok

• megellen says:

but will they ever do it or does this mean it will never come out? i had the one for LWW and PC and i wanted the VDT too

• 493Picus says:

Well, well, well….video games made out of films are almost never worth the money.

• ernesto says:

COMO PUES QUE ESTUBO<CANCELADO YO QUIERO CON RESPETO ESOS VIDEOJUEGOS DE LAS CRÓNICA DE Narnia la travesia de viajero del alba eh adios 🙁

• ben says:

i hope the new chronicals of narina game will be like the other two 🙂

• Stuart Young says:

if century fox get a game company will the game go on?

• Caleb says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Braden Woodburn says:

I dunno if I have commented this or not. If so, I’ll just post again. But yes, I am SO VERY upset that as far as we all know at this moment, there isn’t going to be a Voyage of the Dawn Treader video game. What is questioning me is maybe just IF we get lucky, will they make a game eventually? I mean, LWW and PC were great in my opinion.. made by Disney or not. That I cared less about. But there are PLENTY of video game making companies I am sure could make the game.. or maybe if 20th Century Fox can give some thought of the idea they could make it themselves. Blah. Either way, I really do hope one is made. I’ve always LOVED to play games that are made after movies I love. Such as Harry Potter, Shrek, Toy Story, Resident Evil, and of course, Narnia! 🙂

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry