‘Dawn Treader’ Feature in SFX Magazine

Posted September 22, 2010 8:30 am by fantasia_kitty

NarniaWebber icarus writes:

The November issue of SFX Magazine which was released today, contained a brand new photo from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader! The picture was included in a regular feature they run called “Big Shot”, which as the name suggests is a big photo from a movie, blown-up over a double page spread, with various annotations added explaining what is going on.

The VDT picture they have this month is a shot of a small skirmish between Edmund and Lucy (and possibly Caspian, though he can’t actually be seen in the photo) and some of Gumpas’ men situated in the Bell Tower Set. Here is a photo of the magazine pages so you can see:

You can read the rest of icarus’s report on our forum here (which contains several more potential plot spoilers).

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

How cool! I wonder what their doing… looks like Edmund’s got a sword and he’s about to fight, Oh! and aren’t those the books from that one picture from MTV!…. that wasn’t in the book, but I bet it’ll be good anyway. πŸ™‚

• Watziznehm says:

It looks like there will be a battle… Waite! No! It looks like there will be a skirmish at Narrowhaven. That is fine by me. In the other films all we saw were huge pitched battles. Now we will get to see a skirmish. It will be a nice change and plus a skirmish at Narrowhaven isn’t that big of a stretch from the book.

• michalina says:

Wow!

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

cool! Look! Lucy is in the backround! … it looks like she’s tring to dance with a random guy… πŸ™ confused… was there any battle in the book? Not that I mind that there’s a battle in the movie: i like battles!

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

And i also noticed that there’s a red rope hanging, like the one in the backround in the image with Caspian, Ed, and Lu with Ed’s torch looking in some papers. Maybe this is where they get caught reading the papers? Hey, this is really random, but wasn’t there something in the book about Caspian before a king or something and he flipps over a table or something? Gumpus was the name of the king? Just wondering…

• Cynical Narnia Fanboy says:

yeah, the governor of the lone islands is Gumpas, and they oust him and put Bern in his place…maybe they took that a little farther and made a little battle/skirmish out of the whole affair…

• McGunn says:

Haha, it does actually look like she’s trying to dance with him lol. If you read the rest of the report you’ll see that it says the same things, about the fight in the bell-tower and the leaked script and all.

Oh, am so excited about seeing this movie!

Wow, I don’t know what to make of this picture. It gives us another clue regarding the Bell Tower subplot (or whatever it is), but I still feel pretty befuddled. Right now it’s hard to tell whether this scene will be stupid and annoying, or fairly tolerable. I guess we’ll just have to wait for more news.

Like the set and costumes, though! And I don’t mind a short skirmish as long as it’s ended quickly and they don’t fight Gumpas or lay siege to his castle. *crosses fingers*

• elanor says:

It’s just a thought…

But perhaps this whole thing in the bell tower and the knife (granted they are actually in Narrowhaven) is before they get captured by the slavers? It’s possible that (big surprise) the island orders are changed and they know something about this mysterious quest (if you look at the other pictures on icarus’ article you’ll see what I mean) and they are looking for something in the the bell tower…and that’s when the slavers find them? Not sure! It’s just speculation. πŸ™‚ We just love to speculate…

• always narnian says:

aHH fun picture πŸ˜€ What is Lucy doing??? It looks like she is dancing with someone! LOL

• Aslan's Meadow says:

Edmund looks great, wish we could see Caspian or more of Lucy.
    But looks very exciting!

• Aslan's Meadow says:

I just read the description of the pictures, very creepy.
      A Stone Coffin with a Stone Knife? They are really stretching this white witch thing out as long as they can.
      I do like the idea of a "Bell Tower Sub-plot" gives the movie more depth.

• A_Narnian_Ship says:

Isn’t the stone knife supposed to be at Aslan’s table on Ramandu’s Island?

• SavedByGrace says:

Yeah, in the book the knife is at Ramandu’s island; wonder what the plot is in this scene….

• Hermit of the Northern March says:

I really do not like Jadis’ stone knife being moved out of place. That makes people think it is a magical thing like the holy grail in Indiana Jones or something like that. The fact the lords Mavramorn, Revilian, and Argoz fell asleep was because of their irreverance for the object; it is clearly NOT MAGIC since the witch had to whet it before she was about to use it on Edmund and magic swords in "all the right books" always stay sharp of their own accord.
        Evidently, if they are fighting over this knife (Do we know they are or is it just the old leaked script?), it is the thing that threatens Narnia itself and can only be stopped by the Dawn Treader Inc. finding the seven swords of the seven lords mentioned in another spoiler.
        I have major problems with the idea:
        1. When the Stone Table cracked, that meant Aslan had "commited no treachery and was killed in a traitor’s stead" this caused Aslan’s death itself to work backwards. If Narnian’s are about to die because of one of Jadis’ old weapons this takes away from the point of Aslan defeating her. "Have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch?"
        2. The witch is dead, all the stories agree on that. Witches show up in The Magician’s Nephew and The Silver Chair. Using the same plot line for every single movie is a dangerous idea; especially since the Voyage has so much to offer.
        3. Edmund is going to be overcome with remorse; he felt pretty bad about seeing the knife in the book, imagine if he has to fight to get back "magical powers" or something like that. Ed had the right idea when he destroyed the witch’s wand.
        4. As a Bible reading Christian, I do not believe you can gain special favor with God by seeing or touching things people say Jesus touched. Salvation is open to all who ask God to forgive them for their sins. If the movie has the knife being special because it killed Aslan it turns the focus of the book away from Eustace changing to Eustace and Crew earning favor by their possessions.
        Movie people, I’m still glad you’re trying to make a movies of my favorite book series; please know I’m only giving criticism because I care about the books.
        PLEASE PRAY FOR THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER MOVIE!

I agree wholeheartedly, O Hermit of the Northern March. (I know your name doesn’t have an O in it–I just liked the sound of it πŸ˜‰ ) I don’t think the stone knife should be a big plot point, and if it is, I don’t think it should be revered as something powerful and magical. I know it put the lords to sleep, but that was because they were handling something "not right for them to touch". I’m really hoping that the knife won’t play a big part in the movie. It would just be another unnecessary change from the book, and would take the focus away from more important things, like the seven lords and Aslan’s Country.

• blue99blue99 says:

I love narnia books i’ve read the first second three four five and six but not seven yet 1 was very cool because it told how narnia was made and the lamp post was there and i have to say thay should make a movie for the first book and the stone dagger should be left out of voyage of the dawn treader and keep the part of the gold fountain it was cool to and all so going to the end of the world

• sammy says:

lol at lucy. it looks like she is dancing. wonder what the red rope is about? it is a pretty gd pic only 78 more days to go πŸ˜€

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

78 days!!??!! Really? Wow, time flew by fast. But if you say 3 months, it seems longer, so I guess 78 days looks shorter. But still, time flew by fast! I think it’s because school started for me, so I couldn’t really focus on Narnia. I hate school! sorry, had to say that… πŸ™‚

• NarniaNerd says:

Skirmishes are good! Great shot of Edmund. Can’t tell if Lucy’s got her sword drawn or not. Probably.

• Avilan says:

nice!!! I want December!!!!!

• Gabriel says:

You’ll need to do a podcast on this!

• A_Narnian_Ship says:

Is there anyway we can read those tiny articles all over the picture?

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

Reminds me of a leaked script I once saw. Well, I guess I better start worrying about global warming…

• Hope in the Lord says:

Wow, the scan looks amazing. I couldn’t read it though… still too small. πŸ™

• LL says:

Don’t you mean, "the SKAN"??? LOL πŸ˜‰

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

It took me an hour to figure out what you meant. At first I was like, "Dude, that woman cannot spell" but then after staring at it for the longest time I was like, "Oh! DUH!!"

• LL says:

Haha! Why thank you WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! I’m glad you got it or else I would’ve been the laughing stock of the board and ashamed of my "spelling faux pas." I’m also glad that you considered the fact that I am indeed a woman. Thank you. πŸ˜‰ LOL

• Northernranger says:

I really like the picture. Can anyone read what it says? Keep the story of Aslan alive.

• Liberty Hoffman says:

oh my word! I am speachless! yay!

• LL says:

SKANDAR IS AWESOME IN THIS PICTURE!!!

• Narnia_is_Home says:

Looks neat!
    Can anyone tell what the writing says in the textboxes? I saved the picture and tried scrolling closer but the text was all blurry.

• Thekla says:

If anyone was paying attention to the other shots we got in our emails , you will recall that the table-thing behind Edmund appears to be the same thing that Caspian and Lucy and Ed were all looking at with Ed’s "torch". Any comments?

cool, a skirmish at Narrowhaven! that will be exciting! and Lucy is involved too. this is her chance now to get rough in battle, like Susan :-D. the picture’s really cool. Edmund looks awesome, standing at ready with his sword out like that! i love it!

• Kathy says:

Am I the only one confused by SFX’s description of Edmund as "hot-headed"?

• Jewel says:

I didn’t see the text, but I would find this troubling. King Edmund The Just was not supposed to be a hot-head and I’ll be very disappointed if the movie portrays him this way (as they did with King Peter in Prince Caspian). I do wish they would maintain character and plot integrity! Looks like I may not be buying this movie either. What a shame!

• LL says:

Sweet swirlin’ onion rings! If they do such a thing I think I’ll cry πŸ™

• Frou says:

I pray that "hot-headed Edmund" only means that he’s ONLY hot-headed towards Eustace and his behavior and not throughout the whole film. That would just be sooooo devastating if they changed his character like that!

it would be awfully upsetting if they did a "Peter repeat" with Edmund. i never liked how Peter was made out to be arrogant and bratty, and they better not make Edmund like that. also when you think of his growing up and transitioning throughout these three books, Edmund did his "Hot-headedness" in LWW. he was horrible and mean, and that was perfect because thats how Edmund was in LWW. and he changed and grew up at the end of LWW and in PC he was much more mature and nice. by VDT he was portayed as a King really and a grown up mature boy. he was never mean or hot-headed, except towards Eustace, which i hope they keep there. but they better not make him snappy at Lucy or anything. that would be terrible

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

totally agree, narnian resident! I would cry if that happened.

• Coalesce says:

It’s always seemed to me that Ed is a bit hot-headed, but much less so after LWW. In PC, VDT, HHB & LB it seems that his hot-headedness has transformed into the ability to think on his feet and take charge when necessary.

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Well, nice picture, anyway.
    Is is just me or does Edmund look like Inigo Montoya in that stance? πŸ˜‰

FK’s back! πŸ™‚

• Not Of This World says:

Awesome!

• Not Of This World says:

Wait! sorry I ment edmund! man I’m really out of it today! πŸ™‚

Lucy looks like she’s stabbing that guy.

• Pepper Darcy says:

Lucy looks like she’s trying to ward him off πŸ˜‰ Though it’s funny what everyone else said: ‘stab, tickle, dance’ πŸ˜‰ Hurray for Lucy. Edmund looks cool! But sorry, I’ve got eyes for Lucy, she’s my favourite character besides Aslan πŸ™‚

• Omac the centaur says:

i’m not sure who my favorite is. probably Ed. outside the 4 ether Puddleglum or Glenstorm.

• Pepper Darcy says:

ha, ha! Puddleglum is great! I love him. His my favourite ‘creature’. Lucy’s my favourite human, and Aslan is my favourite animal πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Nice. My favorite character is Edmund too, and Susan’s cool. I really miss Mr. tumnus though πŸ™

• Queen Elizabeth says:

If you click on the picture and make it larger and then push control and scroll forward to zoom in you can read what the article says.

• QueenLucy12 says:

WOW!!!!!!!! This Is AWESOME! Skandar’s…… awesome.
    Yepp, Lucy looks like shes kinda of dancing with the guy.
    BUT Im sure shes prob. not!

• Queen Emily the Valiant says:

So cool I can hardly believe that after all this waiting there is only 75 days left!!! It is so exciting and I’m desperate to watch the movie!!!

• Fan of the Just King says:

hmm, I just had a wild thought; perhaps this little skirmish preceds the scene we heard about last year when Edmund was in a dungeon. If this takes place at the Lone Islands (which it looks like), and this is when the kids are captured, then it would probably make sense. Ah well, nice pic though!

3 Trackbacks / Pingbacks for this entry