Silver Chair or Magician’s Nephew?

Posted September 28, 2010 11:40 am by Tirian

In a recent interview with the Examiner, Mark Johnson discussed the next film:

I know you get asked this question a lot, but I’ll ask anyway: Will there be a fourth “Narnia” movie?

Johnson: Keep in mind that the two youngest Penvensie kids, Lucy and Edmund, don’t come back, so the next movie will have Eustace. We could do “The Silver Chair” or we could do “The Magician’s Nephew.”

Which book do you think fans want to see more as the fourth “Narnia” movie: “The Silver Chair” or “The Magician’s Nephew”?

Johnson: That’s a really good question. I couldn’t tell you. We should put it to the fans [to decide]. I know we have to do “The Magician’s Nephew.” I love that book! The question is: “Do we do it now and let our Eustace grow older? Or do we do ‘The Silver Chair’ and then do ‘The Magician’s Nephew’?”

Johnson has asked the fans, so let’s answer him. What do you think? Should the next film be The Silver Chair or The Magician’s Nephew? Click here and go to the bottom-right to answer our poll and let us know in the comments below what you think.

The order of the Narnia stories has always been a debate among fans. SC was published fourth, and MN sixth. But chronologically, MN is #1 and SC #6. Read more.

Original cover art: "The Silver Chair" (1953) and "The Magician's Nephew" (1955)

• Carl says:

I’d like to have "The Silver Chair" for the fourth movie…as the other NarniaFans have said, if we will be having this movie as the next one, the characters especially Eustace would not be too old in their appearances. I am sure the VDT will be a blockbuster movie. I can’t wait to see it! If TSC will be the next, we could also follow on the flow of the story…"The Magician’s Nephew" is also wonderful (I guess) because it is the root of all these stories..Maybe, we could have TMN after the Silver Chair…..

• aragorn2 says:

I’ve looked at Aslan’s Country, Narnia Fans and Narniaweb and Silver chair has won hands down everywhere, I’m very glad.

• The narniad says:

It’s logical to do the Silver Chair, Will’s going to get too old if we leave it a few years and do the Magician’s Nephew!

• bdog1984 says:

do the silver chair next. Then the horse and his boy. then the magicians nephew. Then finally the last battle. That is the order in which the books were published. That would be the right way to do the movies.

• Harwetopa says:

As much as I would want to see the Magician’s Nephew on the big screen, the Silver Chair MUST be filmed while Eustace is still young enough.

• Michael Nunes says:

Well, I must admit that I was mistaken, and will agree with all the others because I didn’t think about Will Poulter, and furthermore, I believe that it would go in harmony with Jack’s (C.S. Lewis) spirit for a possible play in the future of his time back then, although it will be made into a movie now. As I can recall, I was mistaken because I thought, surely, that Tilda Swinton has to do it sooner before Will Poulter, but now, I will agree that Will should be in sooner, and then of course, Tilda after wards. And these are some of my favorite of his books.

• Jill.Pole. says:

I think they should make The Silver Chair first, then Magician’s Nephew, and then The Last Battle. There is no place for Horse and His Boy in the series. And they should make the Silver Chair before Will Poulter looks too old for his character, because I know it will take a long time to recast.

• CoriaKing says:

I just honestly don’t think Magician’s Nephew can be made into a good movie even with the technology and skill we have today.

• Ozma says:

Without a doubt, our, (our being my family,) opinion is to do "The Silver Chair" first.

• Dragon Rider says:

I think they should make The Silver Chair next. 2 reasons. 1:Silver Chair is more exciting. 2:Eustace already starred so it wouldnt make sense!

• Dragon Rider says:

And I also think that they should make MN as the last movie!Cause in Last Battle, Narnia World ends. And in MN, it just begins! Kinda interesting! dont you think?

• Narnia101 says:

I definitely want them to do SC next and then MN and then HHB and then LB to top it off. I wonder what they would do about Susan since she is not supposed to come back if they do end up making LB.

• monica says:

The Silver Chair! Definitely!! Then please do The Magician’s Nephew.

• Ryan says:

The studio has already been making these movies in production releases so why change it? Just do it the way they have planned. Besides, Eustace isn’t much older between books. Don’t screw up the ages like they did with the first two.

• americangirl says:

I think that the Silver Chair should go next, but then there’s the MN. i <3 them both..but I’m voting for the SC!!! reply if you agree!!!

• Kennedy says:

I think they need to make both but Magican’s Nephew first to show more about how Narnia started… But definitly need to make them all!

• Claire Ashworth says:

Am I the only Narnia fan who thinks that the only real contender for the role of Jadis should be/have been Angelina Jolie? The illustration of Jadis in the Magician’s Nephew – a picture paints a thousand words. Whilst I think Tilda Swinton is a superb actress, my earliest imaginings of Jadis have been of a superb dark-haired beauty: "Years later, even when he was an old man, Digory said he had never seen a woman more beautiful". [MN]

• Ambervina says:

I’m voting SC. I’m hoping maybe the film companies will do a better job of sticking to the book with SC then MN. I mean you’ve got a witch posed to invade Narnia (that seems to be popular with Disney and Fox, the whole witch thing), a really great secondary character (Puddleglum), and a race against time to find a missing prince. What’s not to love? 😉

• JustANarnianFanFromEngland says:

I think we all know what we would like. I would love to see the Silver Chair. Not to forget about The Magician’s Nephew but we should only expect that as the sixth film, or are we going to forget about one of my favourite ‘The Horse and His Boy’. The films should be made as three have been… The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian ( The Return to Narnia), The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and then the ones to come as so, The Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy, The Magician’s Nephew and then the Last Battle. Sorry to be a buz kill but if the upcoming movie is unsuccesful (as I can imagine by the news we have recieved)the next four stories may not make it to the big screen. 🙁 :S

• J.G.Heck says:

Personally I believe and it looks li9ke a lot of other people agree that The Silver Chair should be made next. The actors are already older than in the story, so we shouldn’t have much older actors then they already are, so age is a big mater.
    Next the budget on the film, in this world money is always an issue. which film would be best with the money they will have in the next film, such as distributors and investors. think about the amount of money they will need with the film Silver Chair- will need the castle of carparavel when Caspian is sent of, the school Gym, the Giants castle, the land they travel trough, the underground land, etc. The Magician’s Nephew- what about the neighborhood in London with the connected houses and the stone roads with fire lit lamps, inside the house, the witch Jadis’s land, the land of Narnia being born, them tralveing through Narnia, and so on and so on. Will they be able to find this stuff or reuse it from previous film, or will they need to buy it? the contracts with how much they will owe the workers?
    I think the Narnia books are the best books ever made and I want the films to be the best films they possibly can be. and I want to help out with the films when I am old enough.

• Alan says:

The Silver Chair

• Sitheis says:

I’m really pleased that their going to maker ‘the Magicians Nethew’, but I would dethinitly vote for ‘the Silver Chair, because that makes more sence. You need to get Eustace in the next one while he’s still young. Starting the Magicians Nethew next is a bad idea, even though I am releived that their going to make it. The Magicians Nethew really needs to have Digory when he was a boy so it’s better to do the silver chair next the Eustace stays young in it.

• Brylowman says:

Make them both simultaneously with two different directors. That way Tilda Swinton will be to busy in The Magicians Nephew to play the LotGK in The Silver Chair.

• narnian56 says:

"Magicians Nephew" I love that book! Don’t care for the "Silver Chair." So 1 Magicians Nephew 2 The horse and his Boy 3 Silver Chair

• NewMillenium says:

The Silver chair should definitely be made next. It continues with ties to Eustice, and Caspian and Lillandil’s son. It needs to be made while these characters are still fresh in mind.

• Emmy Wye says:

silver chair.

• Roland Grimm says:

the silver chair, before Eustace gets too old!

• Benjamin says:

As I’m sure lots of folks have already said I think The Silver Chair because Eustace is already cast and we don’t need him to go and grow up too much…

–Benjamin

• Ariadne says:

Definitely the Silver Chair, for one thing moviegoers are going to get attached to Eustace during Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I would strongly encourage the movie producers to choose to make the Silver Chair next because fans will already be sad about Lucy and Edmund being too old for Narnia and many people would be relieved to see a familiar face in the Silver Chair. Furthermore there are other characters from V.D.T. that will be needed in S.C. In closing I vote for the Silver Chair as the next movie to make the screen. In the future I would love to see the Magician’s Nephew in theaters, but not right now. So, my challenge to Walden Media is to, Bring on the Giants and the Marshwiggles!

• Ari says:

I don’t care, as long as they do ALL the books. I hope for "The Last Battle" even if we have to wait five years. I will be a depressed fangirl when it happens, but nontheless, IWANTIT!

• Arual Wind Dancer says:

I just love the books and when they came out as films i almost broke down!! i knew they would be amaxing. I would do the silver chair next as if you are using the same actor for eustice you need to film before he gets to old. I soo lng to be a part of something like this film im in love with acting ive been doing it sicne i was like 4, howeva ive neva been in something as big as a movie. Id love it im sooo jelous off kid actors who are know!! lol =p.

• me says:

the magician’s nephew cuz it was where it all began

• Kyra says:

I say let Eustace grow older… even though the Silver chair DOES seem to make more sense to do now… 🙂 The Magician’s Nephew would also be better to do b/c then ppl could finally get the "background info" on all the movies and Narnia…:) Let Eustace grow older, and THEN do the Silver Chair… that’s just my opinion:)

• Kathy McCormick says:

I think if you wait too long to do the magicians nephew that it becomes pointless because it explains so much about the other movies….I think if you could do that movie (The Magicians Nephew) next and produce the Silver Chair quickly following the MN so that Eustace doesnt grow up too much; that it would solve any issues…I think the magicians Nephew was and is the best book and like i said explains so much of the other movies that if you wait it would almost be pointless unless you wait till all movies have been made to see them in order! hope this helps you out…

• Natalie says:

Just as long as they even MAKE another one I will be happy! I think it makes the most sense to do the Silver Chair next though. [also…disappointed with all the changes that were made in VDT 🙁 ]

• Narnia Fan says:

Reviewing all the comments, I think the best approach, providing the movie studio was willing to fund it, would be to do SC, HHB, and MN all at the same time. There is not any character crossover between the 3, and the original Pevensie actors should be grown enough to pull of HHB. These could be released on a 6 month release interval (maybe one at Summer 2012, Christmas 2012, and Summer 2013). Once these 3 are completed, all of the characters can come together to work on LB (which if memory serves actually calls for the younger versions of Diggory and Polly and not the older versions)

Barring the above, which I admit is probably just a wish, I would suggest the order be SC, MN, HHB, and LB.

But that’s just my opinion.

• Elisa says:

I think that The Silver Chair should be the 4th film, cause after the The Voyage of The Dawn Treader we need a sequel, not a prequel

2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks for this entry