Apted Thinks ‘Silver Chair’ is Next

Posted November 13, 2010 9:51 pm by Glumpuddle

Back in September, Producer Mark Johnson suggested that he was not sure if “The Silver Chair” or “The Magician’s Nephew” would be the next Narnia film. In NarniaFans’ recent interview with Michael Apted, the director says he thinks it will be the former:

NF: […] Is there any news regarding directing the next one for you?
Apted: No they have only sort of decided I think to do the Silver Chair, but they haven’t started or hired a writer or anything. This one took a long time from when I was first hired in 2007 and here we are now in 2010.

Read (or listen to) the entire interview here.

That does NOT sound like an official confirmation. For years, most fans have just assumed that “The Silver Chair” would come after “Dawn Treader.” It may be that Apted is simply making the same assumption. But since over 80% of NarniaWebbers think “The Silver Chair” should be made next, most fans should find this encouraging.

The main issue the majority of fans have raised is Will Poulter’s age. “The Silver Chair” takes place less than a year after “Dawn Treader.” Many fans are concerned that if they do not make “The Silver Chair” soon, Will Poulter will be too old to play the part. “The Silver Chair” also seems like the logical follow-up to “Dawn Treader,” as Caspian’s son and Eustace play important roles. It also includes one of the series’ most beloved characters (Puddleglum), and one of its most iconic images (the silver chair).

“The Magician’s Nephew,” however, is probably the more beloved book in the series. And this is just speculation, but commercially speaking, the studios may be more attracted to the idea of making a prequel to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,” which grossed over $700m worldwide.

So far, the films have stuck to the original published order (LWW, PC, VDT, SC, HHB, MN, LB). It will be interesting to see when/if they deviate from that. Where will they fit “The Horse and His Boy” in?

• Narnian Meerkat says:

I really hope they do make the movies in order which they were writtin. That would be better. πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

?????? Someone said that MN is really bad and that I shouldn’t read it considering VDT is my favorite book. Anyone know if I would like the MN?????

• Reepicheep, Knight of Narnia says:

You should totally read MN! It doesn’t have an action climax, but if you like emotional climaxes you would definately like this one. It is also very funny. It’s the most humorous book in the series. Besides that, it explains a lot about Narnia, the lamp-post, the wardrobe, the Witch, and the Professor. If you have ever read LB, you’ll find it a lot easier to understand if you read MN.

• Narnia Freak says:

Oh YES! You WAY need to read MN! It’s just as good as all the others!

Yes, you should read it. It’s fascinating. It’s more like an E. Nesbit book than any of the others (probably no one knows what I’m talking about, but Lewis references her story "The Bastable Children" in one of the first sentences of MN), and it explains a lot of things, like the origin of the White Witch, Narnia, and Digory Kirke. It’s a bit more whimsical (is that the right word?) than the others, seems a bit more old-fashioned to me (maybe because it’s set earlier than the other books) and has hardly any action, but it has some very deep themes. I never thought of it as the most humorous of the series, as Reepicheep, Knight of Narnia said, and I think some of it is quite serious. But it does have a lot of lighthearted parts as well, and the ending is wonderful and leads the way to the rest of the Narnia series. I can’t say whether you’d like it or not, but you won’t know until you read it. πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Thanks :)But should I read Last Battle or MN first? I’m almost done with SC, so I’m getting there.

Just keep in mind that Magician’s Nephew is the beginning of the series, and Last Battle is the end. You might want to read MN first because LB is very final, and is best read at the end. But you can make your own choice. They both have beautiful endings–though LB makes me cry.

• just jill says:

yes "the silver chair needs to be first so eustace will be the same age. then thelast battle then back to mn then the horse and his boy that is my very favorite if they do make a movie out of it then i hope they will make it as close to the book as possible they are making the movies to unlike the books l.w.w was good but it seems like as they go on they change them more and more

• just jill says:

oh and eustace must be the around the same age in lb!

• Lionheart says:

The first time you read them, you need to read them in their original order. LWW, PC, VDT, SC, HHB, MN, LB.
        After the first time, then you can go and read them chronologically. MN, LWW, HHB, PC, VDT, SC, LB.

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

I would definitely try MN, Queen Elizabeth. I don’t know that it is my favorite of the books, but I still really like it! πŸ™‚ Also, I would read it before LB. Otherwise, when you read LB, you won’t really understand who ‘the Professor’ and ‘Aunt Polly’ are and why they’re so important. Depending on the edition of the series you have, the 7 Chronicles are numbered differently, either in the publicized order or chronological order. I always read them chronologically: MN, LWW, HHB, PC, VDT, SC, and LB. When you read LB, be prepared for a tear-jerker! πŸ˜‰ I bawled the first time I read it! I hope this helps you!

• Amelia says:

I’m not sure why somebody said MN was "really bad"! It is my favorite in the series (that I’ve read so far); it’s amazing! It’s about how Aslan created Narnia. I found it very exciting and very interesting, as it explains things from some of the other books. The Creation scene was amazing, I thought (I’ll have high expectations for how the filmmakers handle that scene! πŸ˜‰ ) There are some really neat Biblical parallels in MN too.

• Pepper Darcy says:

Really bad? Bad as in bad content? If so: NO WAY! It’s sooo clean πŸ™‚ And, it’s one of my VERY favourite of the Narnia books! Up there with LB… I like VotDT/SC best, then LB/MN! πŸ™‚ Read MN! It is so awesome! And explains some loose ends as well =D

• HisWarrior says:

Just so you know, MN was not a bad book. In fact, I think you should read it because it really is a good story that explains alot. Just never read it before reading LWW. I made the mistake of doing that, and almost stopped reading. No, read it and enjoy it, just as the third or fourth book instead of the first. (like I did)

• just jill says:

the real order of the books is mn lww hhb pc vdt sc and lb

• Narniamaniac says:

You HAVE to read MN!!! It’s the basis of the entire series, and gives so much background info on how Narnia was birthed. Although LWW was where the story of the Pevensies began, when you read MN, you feel like you’ve known Narnia since the very beginning. You should read MN before you read LB, too.

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

NOOOO it would make NO sense to do MN next. Again…Will Poulter will be too old if they wait for SC. Besides, it follows the progression of the "Caspian Triad" (PC, VDT, SC).

• LL says:

I’m not sure how to report this, but here are the clips from the soundtrack posted by narnifans. Gorgeousness!

• Ranger says:

Meh, I never really liked MN.

• Thyservant says:

Well, I have some ideas about the silver chair in SC. Can it be the chair of the White Witch after the ice melts? Then it can have something to do with the first movie. Moreover, who is the Green Lady? I defininately DISLIKE the idea of bringing the White Witch back! However, where does the Green Witch come from? NEITHER the idea of any connection with the sea serpent.

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

I used to think that the White Witch and the Emerald Witch were one and the same. Now, I’m sure that they are NOT. I wish C. S. Lewis would have explained where EW came from. Anybody got any ideas?

• Brian in Calgary says:

Maybe the Lady of the Green Kirtle is also from Charn. Perhaps she could have been Jadis’ sister, the person who ‘forced’ Jadis to say the Deplorable Word.

• Thyservant says:

Well, I’d rather have Jadis’ sister as the one who bring the magic rings into Atlantis. In fact, the rings are made by Jadis’ sister and at the moment Jadis spells, she puts on the ring. She wants to come back and revenge someday originally but then she falls in love in our world and thus the rings are passed on. Just a few ideas getting "weirder and weirder", haha!

• Samuel says:

I would hope they would try to say the lady of the Green Kirtle is from Charn as well. I surmise that LOTGK is "related" to the white witch only in that she is one of her "kind" a witch. In LWW it is said that WW is descended from Adam’s first wife, but that is said like they are simply quoting a legend. LOTGK could have simply descended from King Frank and Queen Helen, perhaps a branch of the original family line rebelled and fled up North, only to meet with the White witch and come under her influence, and then intermarry with the giants… or perhaps they help her invade Narnia… ahh, anything is possible in terms of fan fiction and movie adaptations.

• DOECOG says:

When I was first reading SC I thought that the LOTGK was going to turn out to be the White Witch’s daughter. I know there was over a millennium between when they lived, but the LOTGK had indicated she had been around for a long time too. I was pretty surprised when that wasn’t the case.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

cs lewis vdid make a comment in a letter or book, i forget which, that stated they are two different people. i was glad i had stumbled on it, because i had been wondering that too.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

THE LASY OF THE GREEN KIRDLE IS AWESOME. She needs an actress that can portray her sinister and seductive side. Maybe Nicole Kidman haha, I don’t know.

• Mangolite says:

If they could, they should get Cate Blanchett. Both Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett look so much like sisters, they will definitely be passed as witches from the same kind/clan. It’s time to let go of one witch just as much as their directors at the helm of the films.

• Princess Lucy says:

yh cate is a great choice…that would be awesome…she does have that witch sense in her to show on SC….and she does look a bit like tilda…with white skin,light coloured hair and very english like very westerness..

• Brian in Calgary says:

I definitely hope they do Silver Chair first for all the good reasons that have been advanced (particularly the age of Will Poulter).

As for Queen Elizabeth’s suggestion, I would not be opposed to Nicole Kidman as the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

gosh i hope not cause then it will just be nicole on screen doing yet another role. they seem to like to cast unknowns- and im glad

• Pepper Darcy says:

Well, I just hope that after SC they do LB, JUST so they have Jill and Eustace being the right ages. THEN they can do which movie (HaHB or MN) whichever way without worrying about kids’ ages πŸ™‚

• Thyservant says:

I agree that age is a problem. But the Last Battle should be the last battle, right? Just my own opinion…

• Princess Lucy says:

in the LB,
        digory kirke is 61(12 (MN), 52 (LWW)),
        Polly Plummer is 60 (11 (MN)),
        Eustace is 16(9 (VDT/SC)),
        Jill Pole is 16 (9 (SC)),
        Edmund Pevensie is 19 (10 – 25 (LWW), 11 (PC), 12 (VDT), 24 (HHB)),
        Lucy Pevensie is 17 ( 8 – 23 (LWW), 9 (PC), 10 (VDT), 22 (HHB)),
        Peter Pevensie is 22 (13 – 28 (LWW), 14 (PC))

however, in LB they are basically nearly all adults…so we dnt need to rush to make LB…in fact we need to wait for some of the actors to grow…well mainly this film and the HHB…anyways but i think we need to make the SC and MN so the characters are infact younger than the LB..just a thought..btw these ages are from the narniaweb character profiles…hehehe

• marianna says:

well i am 12 but just as tall as will poulter mybe a little shorter i hope that i can get the part of jill if they hold auditions

• LL says:

I agree with you Pepper Darcy πŸ™‚

• DOECOG says:

Well at least seven earth years passes between SC and LB so they should age a bit before they make LB.

• Gem says:

Yes!!! I think they will do The Silver Chair. They’d be crazy not to. I’m just worried that becuase they STILL aren’t sure of anything that it will take another 3-4 years for it to come out, and they CAN’T do that again. They can’t do it with how fast the kids are growing up and for fans and other viewers.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i know,this is ridiculous, whatever happened to the one movie a year plan? we’d almost be up to last battle by now, geeshhhhhhh

• musgrave says:

Check out the new news on narniafans.com

• Em says:

The Magician’s Nephew is more beloved!?!? Am I like the only person who LOVES The Silver Chair? It’s probably my favorite book in the series! Please make it– make it next and make it right!!!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

sorry, i think its borrrrrrrrring. who cares about these people? no pevensies? bah, humbug. although i do vote for andrew adamson as the marshwiggle- LOL magicians nephew will be awesome and thrilling to see the creation of narnia- and by the time they do make it, the 3d will be incredible but to wait 4 years for it? arghhhhhhhhh….

• Annabeth says:

I agree, SC HAS to be made next, Will Poultler already looks about 16. Actually, i have a friend that’s a MAJOR SC fan and he’s like "I can’t WAIT for SC to come out!" while we were talking about VDT.

• marianna says:

I wounder were they will hold auditions?

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

europe- they need british accents that are authentic- and all of europe would revolt if they cast any americans in a deeply euro-centric project- soorry

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

ten to one they are afraid to make THAHB because it’s too "politically incorrect", however it is just what we need at this time to cut through the political correctness that has taken over this country. if you read between the lines in the book you can see it’ s a precautionary tale exactly for our times, and so is last battle, warning against a certain religious-military movement encroaching upon the world.

• Martha Dickens says:

Not making THAHB is nothing to do with political correctness. It is a black mark against the Narnian legacy. In Lewis’ time, people thought it was amusing to make fun of other cultures. We don’t. Read the stories, ask questions, and remember that the person who wrote this story was altogether too human. That the story is a peevish blend of racist, misogynistic, and reactionary prejudice helps no one and making it into a film "in today’s time" as you call it would effectively to make a bogeyman out of Islam. America’s military has already done that, Hollywood need not follow suit.

• Alex says:

Don;t politicize something spiritual. The last battle is not about a military movement. It is about being ready for the coming of Christ following him, not a wordly power against its enemies in the name of Christianity like the antichrist in LB kind of did in some way. If you are Christian, which seems the case, you should be getting ready in love instead of being consumed by worldly politics and antichrist-ian defensiveness.

• Annabeth says:

hmmm, interesting. I’m not sure what i would prefer. I think it would be better to do SC, LB and THEN MN and HB.
    That’s just my opinion.

• Danieljofficial (aka The Bulgy Bear) says:

About which Narnia movie to make next…in my opinion, the best solution is to film two (or maybe even three!) of the movies at the same time. They can be released maybe six months or a year apart. It’d be fine to have a different director for each one because the sories are all pretty different and don’t share the same characters (I’m referring to SC, MN, and HHB, btw). What do YOU think?

• Mayor Wilkins says:

That would be an excellent idea.
      Especially since "Magician’s Nephew" only has The White Witch (technically called Queen Jadis then) and Aslan as returning characters. So only Liam Neeson would be needed for "The Silver Chair" as a voice. This is a GOOD idea.

• Yerdif says:

Actually, Eustace is five to six years older in LB than he is in VDT and SC.

• Yerdif says:

So it doesn’t matter if they make LB right away, they just need to make SC after VDT!

• Alex says:

btw, I think they should make the Silver Chair and the Last Battle at the very least. Perhaps The Magicians Nephew could come some time after and be successful for being a prequel to the lion, the witch and the wardrobe, but the boy and his horse is too separate from the story for a movie franchise and I wouldn’t care not having it. It would be too anticlimactic to have it at the end, but as anticlamactic to have it in between. I just prefer not to have it.