Apted Thinks ‘Silver Chair’ is Next

Posted November 13, 2010 9:51 pm by Glumpuddle

Back in September, Producer Mark Johnson suggested that he was not sure if “The Silver Chair” or “The Magician’s Nephew” would be the next Narnia film. In NarniaFans’ recent interview with Michael Apted, the director says he thinks it will be the former:

NF: […] Is there any news regarding directing the next one for you?
Apted: No they have only sort of decided I think to do the Silver Chair, but they haven’t started or hired a writer or anything. This one took a long time from when I was first hired in 2007 and here we are now in 2010.

Read (or listen to) the entire interview here.

That does NOT sound like an official confirmation. For years, most fans have just assumed that “The Silver Chair” would come after “Dawn Treader.” It may be that Apted is simply making the same assumption. But since over 80% of NarniaWebbers think “The Silver Chair” should be made next, most fans should find this encouraging.

The main issue the majority of fans have raised is Will Poulter’s age. “The Silver Chair” takes place less than a year after “Dawn Treader.” Many fans are concerned that if they do not make “The Silver Chair” soon, Will Poulter will be too old to play the part. “The Silver Chair” also seems like the logical follow-up to “Dawn Treader,” as Caspian’s son and Eustace play important roles. It also includes one of the series’ most beloved characters (Puddleglum), and one of its most iconic images (the silver chair).

“The Magician’s Nephew,” however, is probably the more beloved book in the series. And this is just speculation, but commercially speaking, the studios may be more attracted to the idea of making a prequel to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,” which grossed over $700m worldwide.

So far, the films have stuck to the original published order (LWW, PC, VDT, SC, HHB, MN, LB). It will be interesting to see when/if they deviate from that. Where will they fit “The Horse and His Boy” in?

• LL says:

!!!!! This is good news πŸ™‚

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Agreed! Even if it isn’t an official confirmation, it’s still very encouraging. πŸ˜€

• Narnian* says:

As it should be! It will be exciting to see it come to life…especially when it comes to the Giants and Harfang, and, well….everything else!

• wolfloversk says:

It doesn’t really matter to me which one is next, as long as they get going and make them… πŸ™‚

I think it does matter. Will Poulter is not getting any younger. He’ll soon be too old to play Eustace in SC.

• LL says:

I know I’m thinking far ahead, but what do you think they’ll do for Last Battle (If they decide to make it)? With the kids growing up so quickly they would have to make it BEFORE The Horse and His Boy and The Magician’s Nephew, right?

• Princess Lucy says:

thats what exactly what i was thinking LL…but i was worried to spread it….but now u said it….which makes me discuss it…i wonder what they are going to do with all the children growing up sooo fast to film the last battle…maybe they will just make them adults in that film..

• wolfloversk says:

That’s true, gP… I hink though it depends on how long it will take for them to make it…hmmm

BTW how old is Eustace supposed to be in SC and LB? De[ending on the age difference, it actually might be smarter for them to go ahead with MN, then SC, then HHB, then LB… Either that or else film HHB and MN simultaneously, but release one a year later than the other…

• wolfloversk says:

*think

• Princess Lucy says:

it says on the narniaweb wikipedia that eustrace is 9 years old in VDT and SC and 16 years old in the last battle…hmmm

• Tim Arlen says:

Nice job reporting, glumPuddle! I had to be careful the way I worded my article too, because it is not official but just his (albeit very important!) take on things.

And we’re totally with you on narniafans.com about the order the films should be made! The majority of our members would be much happier with Silver Chair next as well.

• Nathan says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I was not impressed with the book "The Magician’s Nephew". I just didn’t find that book to be nearly as good as "The Silver Chair". Poulter is already too old and too tall for the part of Eustuce in The Silver Chair. They need to be filming the Silver Chair IMMEDIATELY. Right Now. ASAP. There is no legitimate need to film The Magician’s Nephew next, other than the love of money (Jesus said that the love of money is the root of all evil.)

• King_Cor_the_Great says:

That’s not necessarily true. In the Last Battle, Lucy, Edmund, Susan, and Peter are supposed to be in their early to late 20’s and Eustace and Jill are supposed to be close to that. And if they want Tilda Swinton to play Jadis for MN, they’re going to want her while she still looks young herself. And since LB is the last book, i dont think they would make that the fifth movie, that would just throw audiences off.

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

Nathan, wow. Good work using the Bible to justify your dislike of The Magician’s Nephew. It’s a great book. If you didn’t enjoy it, that’s okay. But don’t label the movie-makers as greedy if they do that one before The Silver Chair.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I don’t think it really matters how old they are. Here’s the order I think they should make the movies in. MN, SC, HHB, LB. I think they should go back and forth so that there isn’t a huge age gap for Eustace and Jill between SC and LB.

• Nathan says:

Tilda Swinton does not need to be young in Magician’s Nephew. She needs to be old. Remember, she had lived as queen of Charn for a very long time. It wasn’t till after she came to Narnia, and ate the fruit that she started getting younger and more youthful. It would be perfect for her to be old. Didn’t you read the book?

And I was not using the Bible to express my dislike for the The Magician’s Nephew. I was using the Bible to show how filmmakers will make movies based upon money matters rather than based upon what is right. In their attempt to make money, they will end up losing money. Audiences want to see The Silver Chair, and instead of giving the audiences what they want (not to mention staying true to Lewis’ publishing order) they will instead do whatever they can to make an extra buck.

• lady polly says:

i agree with glumpuddle,i mean the magician’s nephew is my favorite in the series,but i like the silver chair too.

• ~DaughterOfEve~ says:

It does matter which is next in the series and as much as I would love MN next, it seems that SC would be better because of Will Poulter’s age, having Eustace and Caspian’s son in the next one. THEN have MN. I really believe MN should follow HHB, mix it up and bit, then go back to HHB before LB πŸ™‚

• sgk474 says:

It does matter. SC should be next. It’s a much better book than MN and Will is at the right age right now – he’s excellent as Eustace from what we’ve seen so far.

• Princess Lucy says:

they made the right choice to make SC next…not just the fact eustrace is growing but it also continues the series without confusing the audiences especially with the storyline of caspian, liliandil and rilian…YAY !! ! !

• Skilletdude says:

It makes the most logical sense to go with The Silver Chair next. It’s the next book in the series (since the films have followed the publication order) and Eustace has already been cast and should continue his role. I feel it’s among the easiest of the books to translate to film since it’s a cohesive adventure story with plenty of peril and drama and an established villain, so Hollywood should be happy with that. This final reason is selfish; SC is my favorite book in the series. But everything depends on VDT’s box office amounts. Here’s hoping.

• The Archenlander says:

SC IS MY FAVORITE BOOK TOO!!!!!! so i totally agree with all of the above πŸ™‚

• RoseRed says:

totally agree with skilletdude (it’s my favourite too). I guess it’s time we all start hoping the moneymakers see the value in this franchise…

• TTW says:

HHB will be filming difficultm, won’t it? I like Colin, wish see his rudeness!XD

• Princess Lucy says:

HHB is one of my favourite books too…it will be exciting to see how it goes with the film adaptation when they make it….afterall it has never being adapted which makes it extra exciting…but for that film…i think they are going to wait for the pevensie children to get older like adults…except peter…but i’m sure they will add him in the film…maybe…

• Aravis and Hwin says:

I loved all the Narnia books, but especially HHB and VDT. I can’t wait for them to make HHB! I think SC should be next though, because of Eustace and all.

• Nick says:

Will Skandar, Georgie, Will, & Anna be old enough to be involved in the movie? THAT is the question. (involved as the grown-up kings & queens)

Honestly, that would tie these movies together so well. But one step at a time, let’s get Silver Chair rolling!

• TTW says:

HHB will be filming difficult, won’t it? I like Colin, wish see his rudeness!XD

• GlimGlum says:

Go Silver Chair! πŸ™‚

• lilims says:

Silver Chair please πŸ™‚

• Movie Aristotle says:

I really hope Silver Chair is next. I’m surprised by the number of people who say that SC is their favorite book. It is another good character story, so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

Personally, I think filming the movies in the publication order would probably make the most sense. However, I’m happy as long as all 7 eventually make it to the silver screen! πŸ˜€ Love live, Narnia!

• Daniel says:

If they dont do SC next I will DIE with anticipation… SC is my FAV of all the books, Rillian is my Fav character, and with their ability to make amazing props, the actual chair itself will be AMAZING and to die for! they better do it, or Im gonna have to call up Walden and complain.

–Dan

• Princess Lucy says:

that would be amazing to see the actual chair onscreen…i wonder how they will do it…cooool…i’m sure the dawn treader will be a success for them to make the silver chair…time will fly for us to see it….i have that feeling they will film it next year…who has that feeling!!!

• Queen Emily the Valiant says:

Im glad that it’s pretty positive that the’re making another fil but i a little dissapointed as i believe that it’s one of the best books!!! anyway at least there will be a next film

• Francoise says:

Wait a minute !
    VDT is not yet on theaters

• waggawerewolf27 says:

We haven’t seen VDT yet, but in many ways, SC leads on from it. Aslan, Lilliandil, Caspian and Eustace, himself, are the most important links. Maybe a screenwriter will find others. I agree that SC should come next.

I’m not worried about LB, if Eustace is 16 in that one. Sixteen is quite grown up, really.

• sammy says:

I defo think that the SC should be made next, as so it won’t confuse the audience. It is also my favourite book, alongside VODT. I hope someday, i will have all 7 narnia dvds on my shelf πŸ˜€

• eustacegirl says:

SC needs to be made

• Tom Grelinger says:

I’m worried that The Horse and His Boy may never get made because it will be seen as racially and religiously insensitive.

• decarus says:

Keep publication order. I don’t even know if i want them to make any more films. I will wait and see VotDT, but i have been sort of done ever since the horror that was PC.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I disagree with that. The movies are only going to get better from here on out because Disney no longer has a say in it. I remember in a bonus feature thing on the Prince Caspian dvd one of they top guys was talking about how he believed C S Lewis’ intention behind Prince Caspian was to show how destructive man is on trees and stuff. So obviously a bunch of hippies and tree-huggers were making Prince Caspian so I’m sure since Disney’s gone they will stick to the true meaning of the books. 20th century fox is good at that.

• Danieljofficial (aka The Bulgy Bear) says:

HHB has always been my favorite of the CoN, but after thinking about it, I wouldn’t be really upset if they made that one maybe last (even after the LB). The age of the actors is really important, and at this rate, Will’s going to be in his twenties during LB.
    If it all possible, I wish they could film MN and HHB simultaneously, maybe even with two different studios or else just two directors. They two stories don’t use any of the same characters. However, all this might be confusing for the general populace who watch the movies but haven’t read the books. Wow this is getting confusing…they better just hurry up and try to release a film every year/year and half!
    As Tom said two comments ago, the HHB might not even get made for racial and religious reasons. But I hope it does get made.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

They can just leave out the racial comments.

• Danieljofficial (aka The Bulgy Bear) says:

The only problem is that it’s not just a few words…the entire Calormen culture is extremely similar to our world’s Middle Eastern culture. And not to get political or anything, but I’m pretty sure that the Middle Eastern people would not be happy to be portrayed in a bad light, as the Calormens are. To quote wikipedia: "The racism critique is based on a representation of the Calormenes as enemies of Aslan and Narnia.[8] The Calormenes are described by vicious renegade Dwarfs as "Darkies" which is the only expression of bigotry used and by demonstrably oafish individuals (in The Last Battle). Calormenes live in a desert, wear turbans and pointy slippers, their nobleman are called Tarkaans (Tarkan is the word for nobleman in the pre-Islam Turkish culture), they are armed with scimitars, and use the crescent symbol on their money. Such descriptions can be compared with the historic attire of peoples throughout the Middle Eastern and Asian regions, upon whose physical appearances the Calormenes may have been based. The Calormenes also conform to a number of racist stereotypes of Arabs as wellβ€”they are cruel, greedy, cowardly, backstabbing, lazy and prone to gross indulgence, as well as owning slaves. However, they are praised warmly for their storytelling." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calormen

• Skilletdude says:

You didn’t hear of much controversy when Adamson made the Telmarine culture predominantly hispanic. They were portrayed in a negative light as well but you didn’t see many, perhaps only a few critics, who said anything about racism in PC. The good Telmarine character of Caspian helps with this, just as Aravis will do for the Calormenes. The filmmakers only need to be clever and they’ll be able to pull it off just fine.

• Danieljofficial (aka The Bulgy Bear) says:

Well I’m not saying they CAN’T make it, it’s just as you said; they’ll have to be careful about it.

I still say the best solution is to film two (or maybe even three!) of the movies at the same time. They can be released maybe six months or a year apart. It’d be fine to have two (or three) different directors, because the sories are all pretty different and don’t have the same characters (I’m referring to SC, MN, and HHB, btw).

I really, really want HHB to get made, because it ties with VDT as my favorite book. Also, I think it’s one of the most cinematic stories in the series. I mean, come on–it’s got an epic journey across exotic locations (including all three of the major countries in the Narnian world), a hero with a destiny, a feisty heroine, an entertaining villain, a fairly big battle, the four Pevensie kids, and talking horses. πŸ™‚ What’s not to like? And it has some good spiritual lessons in it as well. If it was done well, and the racial issues were handled carefully, it could be an amazing movie. I just hope it doesn’t get passed over just because it doesn’t "tie in" as well to the other stories. πŸ™

• Jill-Pole says:

If ‘The silver Chair’ is comming out, when and where can you do adition?? I really want the roll of Jill!

• always narnian says:

Yay I hope the Silver Chair is next! It’s like one of my favorite books. But wouldn’t they have to do LB after that?

• Niamh says:

Possibly. They could then (like Star Wars) go back and do MN and HHB.

• always narnian says:

Yeah, because Eustace has to be in LB…SO they can’t get a new actor, they have to keep Will Poulter…So they better do SC than LB

• Princess Lucy says:

heyy what about digory, polly, shasta and aravis…i mean then they will look older in their stories than in the last battle which won’t make sense…remember they are all in the last battle…..

• Niamh says:

It makes LOGICAL sense to do SC next. It’s next in the series and the whole storyline of the book flows directly from VDT. It’s stupid to deviate from it to make MN or HHB. Also Will’s age needs to be taken into consideration-there’s hardly any time between VDT and SC. It would be silly to go back to SC after(estimating that each film takes a year to make and then a couple of months to edit) about two or three years. Will would be older and it would just be confusing.

• Greg says:

Of course they’ll make SC next! Will Poulter’s growing too fast!

• MinotaurforAslan says:

Where is that awesome illustration from? I recognize it from glumPuddle’s old avatar

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I hate to be one of the few voices against the "Silver Chair" chorus, but PLEASE make "The Magician’s Nephew" next!! I’m not sure why everyone thinks this would be a difficult and/or bad movie to make. Here’s why it would be a GOOD idea to do "MN." Strictly personal opinion. I’m not looking to start any kind of fight here.

1. As stated above, it connects to "LWW," which was a huge success.

2. For the record, yes, chronologically, "Silver Chair" makes more sense. But, trilogies and prequels are in these days. I would wager the studios might want to have a "Narnia" trilogy with the familiar Pevensies and then do the prequel to this trilogy as a followup.

3. Obviously, Tilda Swinton is beloved by many fans and many of the folks behind the "Narnia" movies’ production. Instead of putting her in movies for 1 minute cameos (Cool as they might be πŸ˜‰ ) like in "VDT," wouldn’t it be more appealing to do a movie which would feature the character in nearly every scene from the time she wakes up? Yes–I think it would be a good idea. Also, she is the established major villain of the series, so they wouldn’t have to make up an enemy to fight. And, as stated above, they should make it while Tilda is able to recreate the look she basically had in "LWW" for continuity’s sake.

4. The book, like "LWW," would be very easy to convert into a screenplay. They only go to a few locations, there are only a few characters, and the story doesn’t jump around as much as "Prince Caspian" did. There is a beginning, middle and end. So the writers wouldn’t have to alter the flow or order of events in the story AS much as they have been.

5. Douglas Gresham, Tilda Swinton, and several others have all expressed interest in making this book into a film. I say make it into a film while everyone is still interested.

6. If "VDT" is a success, it proves that audiences like Narnia lighter, brighter and with more magic. This is purely my opinion here, but I think "The Silver Chair" is too dark with them going beneath the earth. "Magician’s Nephew" is the literal creation of Narnia in all its colorful glory. There’s also a great deal of magic, wonder and discovery in this story.

7. Commercially, I think audiences would love to have some of their questions from the first film answered. Why is there a magic wardrobe? What do the carvings on the wardrobe mean? When and how did the professor go to Narnia? Why is there a modern lamp post in the woods? Where did the White Witch come from and how did she come to rule Narnia? (the latter half is not in the book, but it might be alluded to in the movie version)
    8. As only The White Witch and Aslan return, it would actually be possible to film both this movie and "Silver Chair" at the same time. Difficult, but not impossible if they used two different directors for each one. Or maybe I’m dreaming here. Oh well. Just thinking outside the box.

As I see it, the only real mark against "The Magician’s Nephew" is that it has no real action sequences. But I’m sure one could be invented without going against the text. They could show some of Jadis’s battle in charn (in a LWW-like chariot with her battle garb on and maybe using two swords like in the first film….again, people would go "Oh…. she wore the same thing in the first movie!" They could also expand Jadis’s fight with the lampost or her would-be confrontation with Aslan in Narnia. The scene when she temps Digory to eat the apple would call on her previous cameos in "Prince Caspian" and "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" as she beckons to him in the garden.

And, although I would advise against this, maybe the Witch could call on some evil creatures to chase after the children when they leave Aslan’s garden. It would go against the book, but it might be cool to see some Minobaurs or Harpies again.

I would love to see all seven books made. But I definitely see a good argument for making the prequel to the movies while they still have the option. My arguments are not the best. This is just a comment, after all. But I do see several reasons why "Magician’s Nephew" is possible.

Cheers.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Oh….. and I have a ninth reason. "The Magician’s Nephew" has NEVER yet been adapted for the screen. Whether that be small or silver. It deserves to be made into a film.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I agree completely. I was never crazy about Silver Chair and I’ve always wanted to see Magician’s Nephew on the silver screen since LWW became a movie. I’ll just be happy if all 7 books become movies. I can’t wait for LB too. I hope they make it rated pg-13 for violence. I just hated the ending to LB. I think C S Lewis could have come up with something better than killing them all in a train wreck. I hope I didn’t spoil this for anyone.

• always narnian says:

I’d have to disagree because Eustace is in the Silver Chair, so it would be best to continue with The Silver Chair and then Last Battle. He’s already getting alot older-looking.

Also, I think that VODT is going to actually be a ‘dark’ film because they have focused so much on the dark Island (which I am none to happy about)

MN will probably be really cool as a movie, but people will have to wait to see them for the sake of the actor’s ages. πŸ™‚

• WarriorOfNarnia says:

To me, Will already seems way older than he looks in the trailer of VDT. Silver Chair all the way! I can’t wait to find out who Jill is!

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I would rather him be older than he was in the books. If they had gotten a 9 year old to play Eustace in VDT then only kids would go see it. And at the rate their going, LB will be more epic with him and Jill almost in their 20s.

no, they couldnt be that old, because Narnia is a children’s books, and so the movies need to appeal to both children and teens/adults. if they had the characters really old and late into their teens, then it wouldnt appeal to children, and they wouldnt be interested in them, and there goes the important aspect of Narnia being for children! personally, its very important to me that they keep the movies child-friendly and appeal to children, because that was always something special about the books, and i really want them to keep that in the movies.

• always narnian says:

I agree, narnian resident

• Hwin says:

I suppose that both sides have their good reasons, but in the end, I think that making The Silver Chair next is the best and most logical choice.

• Jill-Pole says:

Well.. Where can you do audition for Jill??? I’m curious!!

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

Well, if I were you, I would go to the FAQ section of NarniaWeb and look under The Silver Chair FAQ. Keep in mind VDT will have to be a success if SC is to be made. Meanwhile, get a good agent on your hands if you can.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I wonder how they’re going to do Puzzle in Lion skin without it being extaordinarily cheezy.

• The Rose-Tree Dryad says:

I’ve wondered the same thing. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if the filmmakers change the lion skin into a magic spell that transforms Puzzle into a lion, or something like that.

logically speaking, and with common sense (although im not keeping in mind commercially-wise) they should do Silver Chair next. there are many other reasons why they should besides Will’s age (which i think is a very important aspect itself). and you know, even though commercial-wise says because LWW made lots of money, they should make a prequel to it, thats not really the best way anymore, because since 80% of fans say Silver Chair, then more people will be more excited over that than Magician’s Nephew. of course, narnia fans would still see MN, but they would be happier and more willing to see SC since the majority wish for that one. see, it takes lots of thinking and analyzing when it comes to these things. i do hope they think and study on this alot, because its a very important subject to both fans and movie makers.

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

I really hope they make Silver Chair next! That would be so cool! Wonder who’ll play Jill????

• DanielmyBrother says:

Silver Chair is my second favorite book in the series. So that will be great.But for now I’m ready for the epic journey on the Dawn Treader, my favorite of the series!

• Addym says:

I think that they should do SC next, then LB, and then MN and HHB. Actors are getting too old soon.

• LL says:

I have to agree with you πŸ™‚
      I think it would be neat to make LB and then later have the story of MN to show how Narnia came to be, and HHB…mostly because of the actors though…

• Queen Su says:

This is great! At least they are thinking about making SC!
    I bet they will make the MN after the SC and then continue with the HHB.

• aslan4ever says:

I think the first will be the silver chair
    because it will have already done its part
    while after the Magician’s Nephew
    so will be able to grow
    what he wants …
    for me at this point would be better to have them all ..

• Komali says:

I hope he is right!!

• FaunFan says:

YAY! So excited! Silver Chair is my favorite of the books, and I am super excited that the film will potentially be made.

• Josh says:

The Silver Chair has to be made next! Its the best book in the series! Best story, best villain, and Puddleglum is awesome! It also is the natural and expected follow up to Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Also, Will Poulter is aging, and they need to film it before its too late. I could care less about the other films as long as Silver Chair gets made.

Making Magician’s Nephew next is also a bad idea because it would be the 4th movie in a row to feature the White Witch. THE AUDIENCE IS GETTING SICK OF THE WHITE WITCH!!!!!!!!

• Mayor Wilkins says:

The book fans might be getting sick of her, yes.
      Many of the rest of the world is definitely not sick of her, however.
      I’ve talked to many, many people who say that her scene in "Prince Caspian" was "…like the only good scene in that movie." While I disagree with that assessment, it should demonstrate my point. Also, so many critics absolutely loved Tilda’s performance. She is an iconic villain.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind if she appeared in all seven films. And I think several people in the world would share my point of view. πŸ˜‰ Tilda is a great actress. If she gets people in the seats, I say let her stick around as long as she wants to. πŸ˜€

Plus, there is no reason why the White Witch shouldn’t stick around.
      Yes, she is dead. But she is also symbolic of Satan. And the enemy never gives up trying to tempt us. So the Witch will never stop trying to tempt the creatures of Aslan. Her evil spirit will forever be tide to Narnia. That’s how I’ve always personally seen it and I’m glad the people behind the film seem to be on the same page with me.

• Princess Lucy says:

uum she is not the only villian u know…theres alot more villian in the series….the witch in silver chair, the telmarines, the sea serphent, the calomerons, and tash….they have pretty big roles in the series just like the white witch…just because she has appeared in the first film doesn’t necessary mean to add her in every film like harry potter…come on this is narnia not some other series with the same villian…yes i agree tilda is great but we dnt want to make the fans of the books loosing interest of the series due to a unneccessary addition of a WITCH!!!….

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Yes, you are correct.
        There are other villains.
        But (and this is only my personal opinion here) none of them match The White Witch. She is the epitome of all evil. Only Tash could make a similar claim, and I didn’t personally see him as a villain so much as some kind of "false god" that worked against Aslan–Yes, I have "The Chronicles of Narnia" on my bookshelf. πŸ˜‰

I think what the films are trying to do is give the series the closest thing to a central villain. When it comes to fantasy movies, I think people like central villains. It helps bind the stories together into a cohesive whole. We have to remember that the books and the films are DIFFERENT. Yes, it’s true. The books are not the films and the films are not the books. They are two different mediums.

For the record, I do like other villains in the series. πŸ˜‰
        The White Witch is my favorite. But I also like Miraz. Shift (the evil ape in "Last Battle") is also a very good villain. I’d be interested to know who would provide his voice should that be made into a film.

• Princess Lucy says:

i know….the films need something to connect each narnia film but as long the WW is only appearing as cameo it shouldn’t be too bad…however, i can’t imagine her being added in the SC…i mean eustrace has never seen her but he will see the new witch….also with HHB, the main characters hasn’t seen her too but shes dead..so it wouldn’t make sense to add her in the film…the MN obviously shes in it and LB, they can make a preview of how all the villians are defeated towards the end of the film…but we are focusing on the train accident..so i’m not sure there either…they can use another element to connect the films though…theres always different ways to do things…anyways now we are focusing on DT…and wish them the best in success so each book will eventually become a film…hopefully

• Nathan says:

I think the studio is waiting to see if people like Will Poulter before they decide to make The Silver Chair or not.

• marianna says:

I am so excited if they make i am so at the auditions for jill by the way what age do they want for jill?

• Eliseo says:

The bad thing about making Silver Chair next is that there will be a huge gap between SC and LB where Eustace and Jill will age a lot – six years actually.

• always narnian says:

Where does it say it was 6 years later for Jill and Eustace between SC and LB?

• Princess Lucy says:

it would actually be nice to have the kids from different books as adults in the last battle…its a nice way to end the series…what do u guys think!!!

• Waleed Sajjad Khan says:

Th Silver Chair is my favorite of the Seven!!!!!!! I REALLY want to see it as a film. It’s going to be much more exciting for me than for others! πŸ˜€ :O πŸ™‚

• -centaur- says:

Good, I hope they make SC next. I’m also wondering about LB, since that includes Jill and Eustace, and if they made two movies in between those two, both actors would probably be too old to play the same roles. At the same time, if Digory appears in LB and talks about his time at the beginning of the world, well…you know.
    Not only that, but if the seven friends of Narnia meet all the characters from previous stories at Aslan’s country…ah, the complexity.

• Twinimage says:

Oh ya, Silver Chair should be next. Will Poulter is growing up fast and it takes a while for a movie to be made.
    Just because a lot of people like Magician’s Nephew doesn’t mean it should be the next movie. The studio is just thinking about money and how much they can milk out of LWW. Cause you know they’re going to advertise it as the story that leads to LWW. πŸ˜›

• Victoria says:

I hope they don’t do The Magician’s Nephew to late, I am worried that Tilda Swinton my get to "old" to play The White Witch. πŸ™

• LL says:

They could cast a younger/more beautiful version of the witch in MN…someone who would look similar to Tilda Swinton.

• DruidDream says:

I also vote for Silver Chair.

After SC… well, I think Its kinda a hard choice. I really wanna se HHB since its my fave movie but MN would be better to be after SC. I dunno… I want to wait more for MN since it has many more magical features which can look better later on. Tho we dont know when SC will makes its debut (counting that its gonna be the next movie)

• Shastafan says:

Yay! SC REALLY needs to be made next, and my reasons are the same as those above. As much as I love MN, now’s not the time to take a throw at a prequel with very few characters we’ve seen before. My mind can’t handle a jump from my favorite book as a movie to a book that doesn’t continue with the story after VDT as a movie.

I cannot wait to hear if they’ll even make another Narnia film (I’m positive they’ll be able to go on this time)! πŸ˜‰

• Scarlet13 says:

Silver Chair Should Be Next. Please! if ANYONE knows about Auditions PLEASE Tell Us! Im 12(basically 13 next month) and I can try to do an english accent, and Jill is my favorite character!

• Skilletdude says:

I also wanted to add that by jumping to Magician’s Nephew right after Dawn Treader, it’s probably not the most financially stable move. More than anything, Fox and Walden want to rebuild the momentum and support for these films and you won’t do that if you throw the audience a curve ball and start setting up a prequel story when general audiences were expecting to see a continuation of VDT’s characters. Once SC is complete, most of the main character arcs will be better resolved and it would then make MN an easier sell to the audience.

• Scarlet13 says:

oh and Silver Chair is my 2nd Favorite book!

• The Inscrutable Rutabaga says:

Magician’s Nephew is my favorite book and I really, really, want to see it made. That being said, I think Silver Chair is the better choice to make next, since the actors are getting older and it makes sense to keep the continuity between Dawn Treader and the Silver Chair.

• motovin03 says:

SC should be the nxt one after VDT…(of course bcoz of Eustace) then TMN since the main actors there are new characters (Diggory and Polly)… then HHB, i bet we can have Skandar and Anna to play their part as King Edmund and Queen Susan, for sure they are older by then and with the new technology in movie-making, its not that hard to make them appear old in the movie (reminds me of BenjaminButton).. then lastly the LB.. πŸ™‚ -NarniaConquerThePhilippines-

• Queen Elizabeth says:

STOP WITH THE INCREDIBLY LONG MESSAGES!!! People don’t like it!!!

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I think they would look good as young adults in HHB. I think it would be fine to do it after SC, they’ll all be in their 20’s by then anyway, except for Georgie who would be about 17 or 18.

• The Rose-Tree Dryad says:

This definitely seems to indicate that if β€” *crosses fingers* β€” there is going to be another Narnia film after VDT, it will be The Silver Chair. Excellent. πŸ˜€

• To be or not says:

I just realized this:

How funny would it be to make HHB with the four "older" Pevensie’s (being Will, Anna, Georgie, and Skandar) in which they would look COMPLETELY different from the adults that played them in LWW…LOL!

• Princess Lucy says:

lol i was thinking the same thing…hehhehe….so i dnt know they either going to use the older pevensies in the LWW or use the actual portrayals…it would be better to use the actual ones and possibly replace the ones in LWW…but that won’t be nice to do…lets seeee

CAN’T WAIT FOR EITHER TO COME OUT!!!!!!! (tho partly i’m hoping it’s SC πŸ™‚ )

• Northernranger says:

I always thought it was kind of ovious that the silver chair should come next. Then The Horse and his boy so they can introduce Aravis and Shasta. Then the Last Battle, and then the MN. And the MN is my least favorite book.

• Narnian Meerkat says:

I really hope they do make the movies in order which they were writtin. That would be better. πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

?????? Someone said that MN is really bad and that I shouldn’t read it considering VDT is my favorite book. Anyone know if I would like the MN?????

• Reepicheep, Knight of Narnia says:

You should totally read MN! It doesn’t have an action climax, but if you like emotional climaxes you would definately like this one. It is also very funny. It’s the most humorous book in the series. Besides that, it explains a lot about Narnia, the lamp-post, the wardrobe, the Witch, and the Professor. If you have ever read LB, you’ll find it a lot easier to understand if you read MN.

• Narnia Freak says:

Oh YES! You WAY need to read MN! It’s just as good as all the others!

Yes, you should read it. It’s fascinating. It’s more like an E. Nesbit book than any of the others (probably no one knows what I’m talking about, but Lewis references her story "The Bastable Children" in one of the first sentences of MN), and it explains a lot of things, like the origin of the White Witch, Narnia, and Digory Kirke. It’s a bit more whimsical (is that the right word?) than the others, seems a bit more old-fashioned to me (maybe because it’s set earlier than the other books) and has hardly any action, but it has some very deep themes. I never thought of it as the most humorous of the series, as Reepicheep, Knight of Narnia said, and I think some of it is quite serious. But it does have a lot of lighthearted parts as well, and the ending is wonderful and leads the way to the rest of the Narnia series. I can’t say whether you’d like it or not, but you won’t know until you read it. πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Thanks :)But should I read Last Battle or MN first? I’m almost done with SC, so I’m getting there.

Just keep in mind that Magician’s Nephew is the beginning of the series, and Last Battle is the end. You might want to read MN first because LB is very final, and is best read at the end. But you can make your own choice. They both have beautiful endings–though LB makes me cry.

• just jill says:

yes "the silver chair needs to be first so eustace will be the same age. then thelast battle then back to mn then the horse and his boy that is my very favorite if they do make a movie out of it then i hope they will make it as close to the book as possible they are making the movies to unlike the books l.w.w was good but it seems like as they go on they change them more and more

• just jill says:

oh and eustace must be the around the same age in lb!

• Lionheart says:

The first time you read them, you need to read them in their original order. LWW, PC, VDT, SC, HHB, MN, LB.
        After the first time, then you can go and read them chronologically. MN, LWW, HHB, PC, VDT, SC, LB.

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

I would definitely try MN, Queen Elizabeth. I don’t know that it is my favorite of the books, but I still really like it! πŸ™‚ Also, I would read it before LB. Otherwise, when you read LB, you won’t really understand who ‘the Professor’ and ‘Aunt Polly’ are and why they’re so important. Depending on the edition of the series you have, the 7 Chronicles are numbered differently, either in the publicized order or chronological order. I always read them chronologically: MN, LWW, HHB, PC, VDT, SC, and LB. When you read LB, be prepared for a tear-jerker! πŸ˜‰ I bawled the first time I read it! I hope this helps you!

• Amelia says:

I’m not sure why somebody said MN was "really bad"! It is my favorite in the series (that I’ve read so far); it’s amazing! It’s about how Aslan created Narnia. I found it very exciting and very interesting, as it explains things from some of the other books. The Creation scene was amazing, I thought (I’ll have high expectations for how the filmmakers handle that scene! πŸ˜‰ ) There are some really neat Biblical parallels in MN too.

• Pepper Darcy says:

Really bad? Bad as in bad content? If so: NO WAY! It’s sooo clean πŸ™‚ And, it’s one of my VERY favourite of the Narnia books! Up there with LB… I like VotDT/SC best, then LB/MN! πŸ™‚ Read MN! It is so awesome! And explains some loose ends as well =D

• HisWarrior says:

Just so you know, MN was not a bad book. In fact, I think you should read it because it really is a good story that explains alot. Just never read it before reading LWW. I made the mistake of doing that, and almost stopped reading. No, read it and enjoy it, just as the third or fourth book instead of the first. (like I did)

• just jill says:

the real order of the books is mn lww hhb pc vdt sc and lb

• Narniamaniac says:

You HAVE to read MN!!! It’s the basis of the entire series, and gives so much background info on how Narnia was birthed. Although LWW was where the story of the Pevensies began, when you read MN, you feel like you’ve known Narnia since the very beginning. You should read MN before you read LB, too.

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

NOOOO it would make NO sense to do MN next. Again…Will Poulter will be too old if they wait for SC. Besides, it follows the progression of the "Caspian Triad" (PC, VDT, SC).

• LL says:

I’m not sure how to report this, but here are the clips from the soundtrack posted by narnifans. Gorgeousness!

• Ranger says:

Meh, I never really liked MN.

• Thyservant says:

Well, I have some ideas about the silver chair in SC. Can it be the chair of the White Witch after the ice melts? Then it can have something to do with the first movie. Moreover, who is the Green Lady? I defininately DISLIKE the idea of bringing the White Witch back! However, where does the Green Witch come from? NEITHER the idea of any connection with the sea serpent.

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

I used to think that the White Witch and the Emerald Witch were one and the same. Now, I’m sure that they are NOT. I wish C. S. Lewis would have explained where EW came from. Anybody got any ideas?

• Brian in Calgary says:

Maybe the Lady of the Green Kirtle is also from Charn. Perhaps she could have been Jadis’ sister, the person who ‘forced’ Jadis to say the Deplorable Word.

• Thyservant says:

Well, I’d rather have Jadis’ sister as the one who bring the magic rings into Atlantis. In fact, the rings are made by Jadis’ sister and at the moment Jadis spells, she puts on the ring. She wants to come back and revenge someday originally but then she falls in love in our world and thus the rings are passed on. Just a few ideas getting "weirder and weirder", haha!

• Samuel says:

I would hope they would try to say the lady of the Green Kirtle is from Charn as well. I surmise that LOTGK is "related" to the white witch only in that she is one of her "kind" a witch. In LWW it is said that WW is descended from Adam’s first wife, but that is said like they are simply quoting a legend. LOTGK could have simply descended from King Frank and Queen Helen, perhaps a branch of the original family line rebelled and fled up North, only to meet with the White witch and come under her influence, and then intermarry with the giants… or perhaps they help her invade Narnia… ahh, anything is possible in terms of fan fiction and movie adaptations.

• DOECOG says:

When I was first reading SC I thought that the LOTGK was going to turn out to be the White Witch’s daughter. I know there was over a millennium between when they lived, but the LOTGK had indicated she had been around for a long time too. I was pretty surprised when that wasn’t the case.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

cs lewis vdid make a comment in a letter or book, i forget which, that stated they are two different people. i was glad i had stumbled on it, because i had been wondering that too.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

THE LASY OF THE GREEN KIRDLE IS AWESOME. She needs an actress that can portray her sinister and seductive side. Maybe Nicole Kidman haha, I don’t know.

• Mangolite says:

If they could, they should get Cate Blanchett. Both Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett look so much like sisters, they will definitely be passed as witches from the same kind/clan. It’s time to let go of one witch just as much as their directors at the helm of the films.

• Princess Lucy says:

yh cate is a great choice…that would be awesome…she does have that witch sense in her to show on SC….and she does look a bit like tilda…with white skin,light coloured hair and very english like very westerness..

• Brian in Calgary says:

I definitely hope they do Silver Chair first for all the good reasons that have been advanced (particularly the age of Will Poulter).

As for Queen Elizabeth’s suggestion, I would not be opposed to Nicole Kidman as the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

gosh i hope not cause then it will just be nicole on screen doing yet another role. they seem to like to cast unknowns- and im glad

• Pepper Darcy says:

Well, I just hope that after SC they do LB, JUST so they have Jill and Eustace being the right ages. THEN they can do which movie (HaHB or MN) whichever way without worrying about kids’ ages πŸ™‚

• Thyservant says:

I agree that age is a problem. But the Last Battle should be the last battle, right? Just my own opinion…

in the LB,
        digory kirke is 61(12 (MN), 52 (LWW)),
        Polly Plummer is 60 (11 (MN)),
        Eustace is 16(9 (VDT/SC)),
        Jill Pole is 16 (9 (SC)),
        Edmund Pevensie is 19 (10 – 25 (LWW), 11 (PC), 12 (VDT), 24 (HHB)),
        Lucy Pevensie is 17 ( 8 – 23 (LWW), 9 (PC), 10 (VDT), 22 (HHB)),
        Peter Pevensie is 22 (13 – 28 (LWW), 14 (PC))

however, in LB they are basically nearly all adults…so we dnt need to rush to make LB…in fact we need to wait for some of the actors to grow…well mainly this film and the HHB…anyways but i think we need to make the SC and MN so the characters are infact younger than the LB..just a thought..btw these ages are from the narniaweb character profiles…hehehe

• marianna says:

well i am 12 but just as tall as will poulter mybe a little shorter i hope that i can get the part of jill if they hold auditions

• LL says:

I agree with you Pepper Darcy πŸ™‚

• DOECOG says:

Well at least seven earth years passes between SC and LB so they should age a bit before they make LB.

• Gem says:

Yes!!! I think they will do The Silver Chair. They’d be crazy not to. I’m just worried that becuase they STILL aren’t sure of anything that it will take another 3-4 years for it to come out, and they CAN’T do that again. They can’t do it with how fast the kids are growing up and for fans and other viewers.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i know,this is ridiculous, whatever happened to the one movie a year plan? we’d almost be up to last battle by now, geeshhhhhhh

• musgrave says:

Check out the new news on narniafans.com

• Em says:

The Magician’s Nephew is more beloved!?!? Am I like the only person who LOVES The Silver Chair? It’s probably my favorite book in the series! Please make it– make it next and make it right!!!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

sorry, i think its borrrrrrrrring. who cares about these people? no pevensies? bah, humbug. although i do vote for andrew adamson as the marshwiggle- LOL magicians nephew will be awesome and thrilling to see the creation of narnia- and by the time they do make it, the 3d will be incredible but to wait 4 years for it? arghhhhhhhhh….

• Annabeth says:

I agree, SC HAS to be made next, Will Poultler already looks about 16. Actually, i have a friend that’s a MAJOR SC fan and he’s like "I can’t WAIT for SC to come out!" while we were talking about VDT.

• marianna says:

I wounder were they will hold auditions?

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

europe- they need british accents that are authentic- and all of europe would revolt if they cast any americans in a deeply euro-centric project- soorry

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

ten to one they are afraid to make THAHB because it’s too "politically incorrect", however it is just what we need at this time to cut through the political correctness that has taken over this country. if you read between the lines in the book you can see it’ s a precautionary tale exactly for our times, and so is last battle, warning against a certain religious-military movement encroaching upon the world.

• Martha Dickens says:

Not making THAHB is nothing to do with political correctness. It is a black mark against the Narnian legacy. In Lewis’ time, people thought it was amusing to make fun of other cultures. We don’t. Read the stories, ask questions, and remember that the person who wrote this story was altogether too human. That the story is a peevish blend of racist, misogynistic, and reactionary prejudice helps no one and making it into a film "in today’s time" as you call it would effectively to make a bogeyman out of Islam. America’s military has already done that, Hollywood need not follow suit.

• Alex says:

Don;t politicize something spiritual. The last battle is not about a military movement. It is about being ready for the coming of Christ following him, not a wordly power against its enemies in the name of Christianity like the antichrist in LB kind of did in some way. If you are Christian, which seems the case, you should be getting ready in love instead of being consumed by worldly politics and antichrist-ian defensiveness.

• Annabeth says:

hmmm, interesting. I’m not sure what i would prefer. I think it would be better to do SC, LB and THEN MN and HB.
    That’s just my opinion.

• Danieljofficial (aka The Bulgy Bear) says:

About which Narnia movie to make next…in my opinion, the best solution is to film two (or maybe even three!) of the movies at the same time. They can be released maybe six months or a year apart. It’d be fine to have a different director for each one because the sories are all pretty different and don’t share the same characters (I’m referring to SC, MN, and HHB, btw). What do YOU think?

• Mayor Wilkins says:

That would be an excellent idea.
      Especially since "Magician’s Nephew" only has The White Witch (technically called Queen Jadis then) and Aslan as returning characters. So only Liam Neeson would be needed for "The Silver Chair" as a voice. This is a GOOD idea.

• Yerdif says:

Actually, Eustace is five to six years older in LB than he is in VDT and SC.

• Yerdif says:

So it doesn’t matter if they make LB right away, they just need to make SC after VDT!

• Alex says:

btw, I think they should make the Silver Chair and the Last Battle at the very least. Perhaps The Magicians Nephew could come some time after and be successful for being a prequel to the lion, the witch and the wardrobe, but the boy and his horse is too separate from the story for a movie franchise and I wouldn’t care not having it. It would be too anticlimactic to have it at the end, but as anticlamactic to have it in between. I just prefer not to have it.