Michael Apted on “The Book C.S. Lewis Didn’t Write”

SFX Magazine has a very interesting quote from Director Micheal Apted about the storyline of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Here’s a clip:

“We were able to steal, really, from the book CS Lewis didn’t write, which is the one that would have gone between The Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair. He starts The Silver Chair with the witches building up an army underground to attack the above world, and Caspian, having married The Blue Star of  is an old man with a son, and he married the Blue Star of Ramandu. In other words, a lot of things had happened between the books.”
Read the entire quote here

Let the speculation begin. Thanks to Icarus for the link.

225 Responses

1. Rilian says:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Tilda Swinton will play the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

I don't believe this!

No way, they would never go so far as to cast Tila as the LotGK. I would boycott the series if they did, haha.

One of the cool things about SC (and VDT to a lesser extent) is how much time has passed. Eustace gets to Narnia and finds 70 years have passed. It's very emotional for him.

It's INTERESTING that so much is left untold. I really hope they aren't undoing that.

• Aragorn2 says:

There is no proof that the WW is the LOTGK, that is all just speculation

• I've always though this as a possibility…They might even make it sound like they are the same person…

• I'm with you. I'm seriously thinking about boycotting the series now actually. I'm infuriated with everything that's going on.

• Gymfan15 says:

You had better get your signs ready, then…

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

Why would you boycott the series just because of something like that. It very well could have been the WW. She became immortal when she ate the apple in MN so why shouldn't she be able to come back to life? I think it would make the plot way more interesting. You have to remember that movies aren't and shouldn't be exactly like the books. You have to think of movies based on books as completely different stories. I swear some people take things to seriously sometimes.

• Narnia fan 101 says:

i hate michael apted directing the series i wish andrew adamson were back

• Pepper Darcy says:

wow, I must be extremely stupid or something, because I had read the book and always *assumed* that the LotGK *WAS* the White Witch… that's why she was so fascinating because she never 'gave up'… not that it took away Aslan's power, but SHE even though SHE was DEFEATED, kept trying to undermine Aslan's world, laws, etc. I must be stupid… :'(

• The Archenlander says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH Samuel the Magnificent!!!! I have been saying the same thing. Even though I am a hard core narnia book fan, i am a hard core movie goer too! i love seeing the changes they bring. makes the stories that much more interesting!

• sgk474 says:

Glumpuddle, I actually like the idea of the WW being the LOTGK because it means there is evil brooding in the background and trying to dominate; a constant threatening character rather than a series of villains that are defeated in each book never to re-appear. Like the devil in our world, the WW is a defeated foe who still tries to cause havoc and must be constantly subdued. In the SC, TLOTGK is mentioned by the owls as 'one of the same crew' as the WW. I will be happy either way if it's the WW or not. Please don't boycott – your comments are insightful and interesting and we must all support these Narnia movies so more people get to know and love Narnia. No-one would ever be able to make the exact movies you have imagined in your head as you read the books.

• Puddleglum says:

Think about it though for a minute.
        Does the devil (whom the white witch represents) really ever give up?
        Not that I say i favore this, but I am willing to give it consideration.

• Alambil says:

I don't know what edition I have, but at the very beginning of my copies of the Narnia books, there's a list of the different characters in the series. The fourth character listed in this "Cast of Characters" is Jadis. It says this about her: "The last Queen of Charn, which she herself destroyed. Jadis arrives in Narnia with Digory and Polly in The Magician's Nephew and has taken over the land as the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Completely evil, she is also very dangerous, EVEN IN THE SILVER CHAIR." [emphasis added] …. which would imply………

• Griffle says:

Tilda Swinton is an Academy Award winning actress, I'm sure she is able to do another character than the White Witch. 😉

• Cynical Narnia Fanboy says:

At the end of SC, the older dwarves and bears and things are talking to Rilian, and one says " All these western witches have one thing in mind(taking over Narnia), they just have different ways of going about it…) paraphrasing of course, still, this implies that they are not the same one…

• Well, Alambil, C. S. Lewis didn't say they were the same. The owls said they thought the Lady of the Green Kirtle was 'one of the same crew' as the White Witch, but never was it hinted at that they were the same person. Even though the hag in Prince Caspian said, "Who ever heard of a witch who really died?", that doesn't mean SHE was right. Aslan killed the witch. Also, Puddleglum, I don't think the White Witch represent the devil. I think Tash does. Aslan killed the witch, Rillian killed the Lady of the Green Kirtle, and they were dead. It wasn't until the Prince Caspian movie came out that everyone started thinking that she really could come back to life. Caspian said, "Black sorcery and the calling up of an accursed GHOST". A ghost, not a living witch, was what they were going for in the book, I think.

• Bookwyrm says:

Alambil, I have the same edition. However, that edition is incorrect and the character descriptions were not written by Lewis. They were written by someone with the publisher who made an incorrect assumption about the books. The books do not support it and any assumption by fans that the two characters are the same are about as valid as the people who ship Susan/Peter.

• Justin says:

I disagree, Rilian. Look: "witches" – plural form of Witch. We have the Lady of the Green Kirtle *and* the White Witch. The latter always shows up kinda where you'd expect, y'know?

• always narnian says:

_The Silver Chair_ says in Chapter 15 "And now they all saw what it meant; how a wicked Witch (doubtless the same kind as that White Witch who had brought the Great Winter on Narnia long ago) had contrived the whole thing, first killing Rilian's mother and enchanting Rilian himself."
        So the _same kind_. Would that mean the same race? (I thought all those of Charn died but Jadis?)

• lysander says:

There is a very good possibility that the reference to "the witches" is a typo. The article is full of them ("who’s taken over from Andrew Adams on the first two films" — whaaa?). I'm not making any LotGK guesses right now, although it does seem as though the "missing book" might entail her presence. I'm more disturbed by the fact that Apted seems to think Lewis had no idea what he was doing — that he wrote one book without much plot, and failed to write another that he SHOULD have written. Again, really? So presumptuous.

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

I agree completly with Samuel the Magnificent. And don't you remember when Price Rilian said that a "king" had written the poem "though under earth and stone now I be, yet while I lived all earth was under me," In the giant city Ruinous? Can't you imagine Jadis saying something like that? And while she was alive, she was the ruler over Narnia. In charge of all the creatures, I mean. I jolly well think it was her who was the LOTGK. But then again that's just my opinion.

• NarniaNerd says:

That's what I always thought too. Then again, I was like, eight when I first read The Silver Chair. But that's what I thought then, and it's kind of what I think now. to be honest, I don't care that much!

• cliffordson says:

LWW, the first paragraph of chapter 17 says that the White Witch was dead. The last long paragraph in chapter 15 of SC says a witch, "doubtless of the same kind as that White Witch who had brought the Great Winter on Narnia long ago…" The last sentence of the same chapter says, " 'And the lesson of it all is, your Highness,' said the oldest Dwarf, 'that those Narthern Witches always mean the same thing, but in every age they have a different plan for getting it.' "

The Lady of the Green Kertle is not the White Witch.

Btw, don't forget that The Magician's Nephew is a prequel. Originally it was #6 in the series, not #1. So the history of Jadis as outlined in that book will not line up with previous hints as to her origin.

• lilprincessofthelion says:

I really hope they wouldn't cast Tilda as the LotGK. Then I'd think this was going a bit far and she's has come back one to many times

• dramaticalmama says:

Personally, I think Johnny Depp should act as Puddleglum and Helena Bonham Carter as the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

• Narnian Meerkat says:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Rilian I REALLY hope you're wrong!

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

I disagree with most of you, depending on what you think. I don't think that LotGK is the WW. "Of the same ilk" does not mean the same person. I think they're both evil witches from the North whose objective is to try to control Narnia, but that certainly doesn't mean that they're the same. Have you ever considered the absence of the wand in SC? Or that LotGK can turn into a snake? The WW can't do that.
      Just because someone is immortal does not mean that they do not die in battle. It means that they do not die of old age. Since the WW was unmistakeably defeated and killed by Aslan in LWW, the only "living" form she could take on is that of a ghost or spirit of some sort, as was referenced in PC.
      So, in my mind, LotGK is a different person than WW.
      Thus, if production cast Tilda Swinton as LotGK, I will scream and complain and become a very nasty person for a few hours. I don't know if I'll boycott the series, but I certainly might.

2. Rilian says:

Woah. He says, "…no real reason for the journey as it stands."

Has he read the book?

• Dekkie says:

This comment stood out to me as well. What is he thinking??

• Shastafan says:

I agree with you, Rilian. It's very obvious what the whole meaning of the journey is in the book. The "Seven Swords" plot has totally very little, or downright nothing, to do with the book's main themes!

I am now really concerned for how far they've drifted away from everything that makes VDT special to me. I pray that is hasn't gone too far… 🙁

• Pattertwigs Pal says:

That stood out to me too. I think there is plenty of reason for the journey. I'm beginning to think key people haven't read the books or if they have they aren't the books I've read. The whole "marrying the Blue Start" thing wasn't in the book or at least not in that way. I don't like the whole "book not written" thing. One of my favorite things about the series is the lack of a through story / connection. Each story can stand alone and each story is different. The characters (except for Aslan) change.

• kirst says:

'no real reason for the journey'?! There is a very real reason for the journey! They're going find the lost lords – and I think that's a bigger reason for the journey than finding some swords. I respect Apted for his work on 'Amazing Grace' but I do hope he knows the true story he's telling here in VDT.

• Valiant says:

My goodness…why didn't they just expand on the Lost Lords. Maybe as it stands in the book, it wouldn't have been very cinematic. But if the film makers could make us connect with the Characters and their goals, it would be perfectly cinematic!Must we always save the world. They're are smaller goals which are just as noble!

Sometimes I wonder if the movie-makers say crazy things like that just so they can sit back and watch us Narnia fans stew. I don't literally think they're mean enough for that, and I don't want to hurt their feelings–but sometimes I wonder just WHAT they're thinking??? I usually try to be optimistic, but sometimes I wish Aslan would appear and just magically make everything better (meaning closer to the book).

I'm still hoping things will turn out all right. Hopefully "witches" is a typo and he really meant "witch's". And–I hardly dare speak of it–I hope the WW isn't turned into LotGK. Please please please…

• always narnian says:

I agree with you…I was like…No plot???…..No Purpose?????? WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

3. Liberty Hoffman says:

I think he's referring to the story that didn't get written…..
    I think that's SO cool!

Lewis knew that some things are better left untold. Are they undoing all that for the movies?

Lewis' way was "cool." This sounds more "formulaic."

• Liberty Hoffman says:

well, maybe, but it seems that Lewis had another Narnia tale in minfd betwen VotDT and SC that wasn't written, so if they are taking from something Lewis wrote, then I, personally, have no problem with it! I am even more eager to see this movie now! yay! further up and further in!

No, I think you misunderstood. Apted is basically just saying that a lot of things happened between VDT and SC and they want to show them.

• Nathan says:

I think they should tell the story that Lewis DID tell. Because THAT'S the story THAT PEOPLE LOVE (and the one they'll be able to make alot of money off of)

Apparently Apted isn't interested in being successful.

• Cynical Narnia Fanboy says:

lewis told the back story in a flashback…that would be hard, but not imposssible to do in the SC movie…

• Thanks, GlumPuddle 🙂 Also, can't he just tell the story Lewis DID write? Isn't that what he's SUPPOSED to be doing? Isnt' that what the true fans of the book WANT? He's supposed to be making The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, NOT The Seven Lost Swords, (subtitled The White Witch Returns with an Army of Other Witches to Destroy the World).

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i think because the stories are told in a more sparse, fairytale form they need to be fleshed out more for a 2 hr. movie. unlike HP, which needed to be cut down for time.

4. Louloudi the Centaur says:

At this point, I'm not sure if I should be panicked, or be okay. Is this considered true material to the series because it belongs to the C.S. Lewis estate, or is it more of film based material because it doesn't happen in the books? I need to do some thinking.

5. Aragorn2 says:

One word, Weird.

6. icarus says:

You know, i always try to have an optimistic outlook on things and really look for the positives in everything, but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say "ok, that is just stupid". This is one of those moments.

• Reepicheep775 says:

This is so dumb! There is a reason the crew set out and if it's not to your liking, Mr. Apted, kindly leave the directing to someone else.

• NarniaChick says:

Totally agree with you on that one… This is so stupid. I loved the first movie, I can enjoy PC as a stand alone movie if I don't compare it to the book that much, have yet to see what exactly is going to happen with DT, but to purposefully make up new material to "bridge the movies" ?!?!?!?!? Like it was mentioned by another narniaweber, it makes me want to boycott the series and just stick with my Narnia series that I grew up with.

• LucyTheValiant says:

i would love to say that i still have a completely optimistic outlook, but i can't that after reading a quote like that.

7. Brisa says:

"He starts The Silver Chair with the witches building up an army underground to attack the above world"

Ahem, there's only ONE witch. It could be just a typo, but that would indicate (to me anyway) that if they made the SC into a movie, the witches would be the same.

Has Apted READ the book in it entirety? There IS a reason for the journey, and it worked just fine in the book without adding special swords.

• Brisa says:

Also, since when is Lilliandil called the Blue Star of Ramandu?

• lysander says:

Seriously, Brisa. I mean, really? That's stupid.

• Bookwyrm says:

Somehow I completely missed that the first time I read the quote. So not only has Ramandu been cut, his name has been assigned as some sort of title to his daughter. Lovely.

• DOECOG says:

Ramandu’s daughter is not even a star. She is a half-star.

• Bookwyrm says:

And not only have they made her a star, they made her a flaming ball of gas when two of the books state emphatically Narnian stars aren't gas balls.

• Geoff says:

All you folks who are blowing a gasket about multiple witches should really go back and read THE SILVER CHAIR again:

"Those Northern witches always mean the same thing, but in every age they have a different plan for getting it."

Sure sounds like there's more than one witch to me.

Having said that, there's a clear theme throughout the books that evil itself (i.e., Satan) is reincarnate in the form of the witches, so it would make perfect sense for Tilda Swinton to play the role of the Green Lady.

Folks, why not relax and just enjoy the film, instead of picking everything to pieces? It's a work of fiction, after all. It's supposed to be entertaining.

• Brisa says:

Oh, I know there's more then one witch in all of the Narnian world- buts there's just one in the SC who is trying to build an army underground and attack Narnia

• Valiant says:

Yes, evil comes in DIFFERENT forms. Evil is present in Narnia many times, but they come in different forms, different methods to achieve their goals.They have different demeanours They should have different actressess…

There are more than one witch in all of Narnia, but only one in SC

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I agree with Geoff. Most of you all are taking your fiction waayyy to seriously. I think Tilda Swinson playing the LotGK would make the plot really interesting.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

It makes her sort of like the darth vador or satan of narnia

Very well put, Valiant.

• The Archenlander says:

GREAT RESPONSE!!!! i love the idea of tilda play the lady of the green kirtle. it makes the idea of attack against narnia that much more dramatic. she actually has a reason to be collecting armies and planning an attack. revenge for what happened to her before.

• sgk474 says:

I agree with you Geoff!

• Bookwyrm says:

How would making the LotGK=WW make the story anymore interesting? And for the nth time, the book states they are not the same person. Write a fanfiction if you're that attached to the idea.

8. This just makes me feel sick…

9. FriendOfNarnia2 says:

This has made me more depressed than I've ever felt about this film. Now I just have to hope that the themes "accidently" made it into the film.

10. I am seriously thinking about not seeing this movie. Apted is making me MAD. He doesn't understand the books, or the fans, and doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Brisa says:

I'm feeling the same way- I might PRINCE CASPIAN better then this. VotDT was always one of my favorite Narnia books, and I REALLY don't want it this messed up…..
      If they do the SC, I really, really hope Apted does not do it.

• sgk474 says:

I've been a total Narnia fan all my life and have read all the books numerous times. I totally respect Apted and think he's doing a great job – don't judge without seeing the movie. I want all the books made into films and i'll be so frustrated if my fellow Narnia fans help stop that from happening by being negative.

• Bookwyrm says:

You still respect him and think he's doing a good job after he came right out and said that he's making his own material up? After he said the journey has no purpose in the book? Well, clearly you must not respect Lewis then.

• Get 'em Bookwyrm! You're completely right.

• little lioness says:

Bookwyrm, you can still respect people without agreeing to what they are saying. and i think that sgk474 still respects lewis, but he (or she) isnt being as negative as some people are being.

• DOECOG says:

I agree, I want all seven books to be made into movies too. And I really am trying to optimistic about this. But I would rather wait years to see a Narnia movie done right than see a watered-down version of Narnia. I’m not saying that’s what this film is because I haven’t seen it to know. Also, if they do make the movie and it’s not a good adaptation it will keep other studios from being able to shoot a fateful adaptation because everybody will be saying they already made that movie.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

agreed, i'd rather have movies with embellishments than no movies at all. course i;m and adult who never read the books, then saw LWW and was enchanted. purposely didnt read PC before seeing the movie so as not to be disturbed by changes. ( i even enjoyed Suspian- alot!)

• Puddleglum says:

I know what you mean. How could they?
      But I have one glimmer, more like a faint glow I suppose.
      what if they use this as a way to lead into the next movie? Sort of a teaser at the end?

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

I;m sure they felt the need so as to link the movies together-its hard to create a movie series with non continuing characters- why do you think no ones gone on to make all the books into movies/tv until now? even though they could have made them animated to get around special effects limitations of the past-

11. JessPorlock says:

Tilda should deinitely play the Lady of the Green Kirtle – having given her a cameo in Caspian, they're obviously keeping her face in the series.
    SOMEWHERE in one of the later books there is a reference to the two characters being from ' the same crew' I'm sure….wish I could remember where ! Lewis's enemies were always the same, whatever guise they took on down the years.

• sgk474 says:

The owl conference in SC

• Bookwyrm says:

So Miraz was Jadis in drag?

The same crew means that they were the same sort of person, not that they were literally the same person. If Lewis meant that, he would have stated it.

• lysander says:

I agree. If all the villains are the White Witch, where does she show up in HHB, for example? This is such a silly theory. Lewis' villains were literal beings, not metaphorical manifestations of one great "evil."

This is probably yet another result of people thinking that the Chronicles are allegories. Fail.

• Bookwyrm says:

Lys, didn't you know? Jadis came back to life and hung out in Caloremene disguised as the Tisroc for a couple of years. 😛

• NextJillPole says:

I think Tilda as the White Witch should NOT return for the role of the Lady of the Green Kirtle. It's not the White Witch in the Silver Chair, its the LADY OF THE GREEN KIRTLE. TOTALLY different people! If C. S. Lewis wanted Jadis to come back, then he would have said so. The Lady of the Green Kirtle is NOT the White Witch. Never has been, never will be.
      If you think I sound rude or harsh, then keep your comments to yourself and don't comment on this, please. I don't want people bashing everything everybody says just so they can have more comments than everyone else.

12. QueenLucytheValient says:

Yeah I agree with you guys, there was only one witch, and there totally was a purpose for the journey. To find the lost lords!!!!!!!

13. mary says:

Oh, dear. I had been so looking forward to this movie, but this really does make me wonder if Mr. Apted has read the books? The reasons for the journey are quite clear: Caspian's desire to find the seven Lords his uncle exiled, and Reepicheep's to discover the world's end and Aslan's country. I don't see that the seven swords add anything to this.

But still, the film looks glorious, and I'll surely go to see it. Unlike many here, I thought PC captured many of the themes of the book; the thing I can't forgive the filmmakers is the damaging of Peter's character. If they remain true to the characters as written, I'll be okay with the movie even if there are some changes to the plot.

But I can't believe Mr. Apted thinks there is no clear reason for the journey!

14. Truffle Hunter says:

"What does Apted mean by “the witches building up an underground army”? In the Silver Chair book, there is only one witch: The Lady of the Green Kirtle."

I think this is a typo. He probably means "witch's".

15. Robyn says:

I was more than a little worried about the plot of the movie, but I did have faith in Douglas Gresham. I'm still sure he wouldn't just sign off on anything. Knowing that the plotline comes from Jack's notes is a little more comforting – that the idea came from Jack's head rather than some know-nothing down in Hollywood.

That said, I still believe that a simple exploration movie would have been fine, and recovering the seven lost lords is a perfectly fine plotline, but those know-nothings are the ones with the big bucks and the screenwriting jobs. Hence the weird plot we're now getting.

As for the multiple witches, sounds like they were in an early version of Silver Chair, and then were cut out in a rewrite in favor of just one. So you can't say "Apted's wrong – there's just one witch" if Jack's notes say different and there were originally a whole bunch of witches, sort of how the Pevensies were originally named Ann, Martin, Rose, and Peter. We haven't seen these notes, so we can't say.

I still have faith in Douglas Gresham and the Lewis Estate. I really believe they wouldn't let Walden and Fox make junk. And as long as the essential message of the books remains the same, to me, the rest is negotiable.

16. talewisx says:

I think perhaps Mr. Apted was quoted wrong. "with the witches building up an army" could have been a mis-hear of "with the witch is building up an army"

17. DragonGirl28 says:

This is sick. Seriously. Mr. Apted, do us all a big favor and please just read the book.

18. Valiant says:

I am so infuriated right now. I am infuriated because I don't believe the film makers read the book. Or they did and they didn't get it. Or worse of all they read it, understood it, and didn't care. WHY DO WE HAVE TO SAVE THE WORLD ALL THE TIME!!!!!???? And honestly, I love SC so much, its my second favorute book. If LotGK ends up being the WW I will not see anymore movies. At all.

• Valiant says:

Sorry a few typos…I was typing so fast b/c I was angry…:@

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

really? i found it totally boring- hope it doesnt kill off the movie series cause i'd love to see the last battle and also the creation of narnia onscreen, that could be pretty psychedelic!

19. Ella Kelly says:

I'm mildly concerned now. I was skeptically optimistic before. Douglas Gresham is the only source of hope in all this. I understand adding a bit more flesh to the story to make it more cinematic, but there is fine line that they sound really close to crossing. Part of the tone of the Silver Chair is the missing pieces (missing King, missing Prince, missing backstory). There's absolutely no need to make a connection between the two other than Caspian and Eustace.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

there is a need when you are trying to build a film series. remember there are millions of dollars involved.

20. Valiant says:

There is a reason Lewis did not write certain books. "Unwritten books" that sounds ridiculous. Is that their justification?? Is that it? Well I for one won't accept it. Unwritten books….hahaha.

21. DiGs says:

This seems to be betrayal of the worst kind. Why can't they just accept that the series is what it is, and make great films out of what have been CLASSIC books. I highly doubt that they would do this much editing and rewriting, and make such blasphemous statements about Dickens or Austen. . . *UGH* I have absolutely no hope for VODT, or the rest of the series as far as that goes.

• PrincessMia241 says:

Blasphemous, DiGs, really? This isn't the Bible or sacred writings we're talking about here….

And fyi, they change quite a lot with the movies from both Dickens and Austen's works. Except for the BBC versions of some of Austen's.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i think they could have made the series more true to the books and more "literary style" instead of "american blockbuster movie style" if they had made them for PBS or remade them for the BBC. with the movie business the way it is you have to sell action movies to teen boys to get any box office these days. that's why they keep pumping them up with action and big endings.

22. adamie says:

don't be too concerned about the witchES, they might have misquoted him.

But,yeah, this basically means that somehow the start of the SC plot line is going to be in VDT. I hate that. Yeah, maybe Lewis had some Idea's about another book, maybe he knew what happened exactly between the two, but for some reason he chose NOT to write about it. He wanted the fans to fill it in for themselves. That's Lewis' way of writing. He hands the reader a story, the reader creates a world by himself.

They should respect that in the films.

23. Queen Elizabeth says:

Just because Tilda Swinton played the Whitch Witch does not mean she can't play different characters like LOTGK, maybe they think she did a great job.

My thing is that Tilda Swinton made a good White Witch, but someone else should be the LotGK. They have somewhat different personalities, different appearances, and I think they require different actors. I always pictured the LotGK looking more young and seductively pretty than the WW, even though they're both beautiful. Although I think Tilda is a good actor, I don't really want to see her seducing Rilian, trilling her R's, or strumming a lute. I hope that wasn't a mean thing to say…It's not that I don't like Tilda Swinton! I just think we need someone fresh for the Silver Chair.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I totally get what you mean 🙂 I was just defending Tilda. I know that there should be a new actress for that role, but I was just saying that she could have pulled it off. Except for the seduction part, we need someone a little bit younger.

• Justin says:

Doing that confuses anyone unfamiliar with the books. There have been fans for years who have misunderstood the difference between the two because the BBC Tv series used the same actress for both characters. There are a lot of good actresses out there. The only reason to use the same actress for two different characters is to suggest that they are in fact the same.

24. narnianprofessor says:

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that I read in one of Lewis' letters to a child that he left 'gaps' in the story for each reader to fill in with his own imagination……removing thoses gaps is kind of like removing Lewis' personal style.

25. I am in complete agreement with everyone who is horrified at Apted's remarks and lack of understanding book VDT – plot and purpose. Here are my thoughts on this story. http://www.aslanscountry.com/2010/10/apted-reveals-source-of-dawn-treader-plot/

26. Louloudi the Centaur says:

If the Dawn Treader is a success and The Silver Chair is greenlit, I am so going to start a petition I am going to send to the director/scriptwriters to STOP WITH WW ALREADY!!! And they BETTER not make her LOTGK! Although I'm sure the trailers aren't implying it, what is the chance they will? Fortunately, I am going to see how bad the witch plot really is in the movie, and maybe it will be relatively much smaller than seen. I want the books to be movies, but can we at least just get good movies and stop including dead villains?!?!

27. The CS Lewis estate didn't mind from what I read. So then I'm okay with it. I'm sure he consulted with Doug Gresham. I'm not worried, it's going to be a fun voyage.

28. Lady Em says:

Personally, I think that the "big hole in the story" ads SO much! The adventure of the unknown is sometimes much better than filling in every little gap. I'm no movie director, but it seems like it should work fine in a movie…

29. Edmundsdefender says:

What he said about "the witches" is probably a typo. I wouldn't worry about it too much. That being said, I am very worried about the general plot of the movie now! First of all, what in the world did they do to the plot if they stuck implied elements from SC into it????? If that is what Apted was even saying….I was more than a little confused on that point. Secondly, how can he say there was no real reason for their journey in the book??? Did he even read the book, and if he did, did he just miss that bit of information? If that was the case, couldn't someone from the C.S. Lewis estate kindly inform him of the reason they sailed to the end of the world????????? I am very scared to find out what they actually did to the plot and how much they have ruined it.

30. Evan Morgan says:

Pesimism doesn't get us anywhere, people. Just say that you don't agree and leave it at that. No need to be like, "OH MY GOSH!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE DOING THIS!!!! THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!!" Relax, everyone; it's not the end of the world.

31. PrincessMia241 says:

"No real reason for the journey"
    Running around trying to find seven guys just because you're curious is not exactly an engaging reason. Neither is discovering new lands. It's entertaining in the book, but hard to make a movie out of. The same with holes in the storyline. You need to at least imply what has happened.

And the witches could very well be a typo, the interviewer heard wrong, etc. And Lewis never said it definitely was NOT the WW. It will just make it cheesy: won't this woman ever die?!

• Bookwyrm says:

Considering the sheer amount of movies made about exploration, your argument is basically invalid.

• Excuse me, but you also seem to not understand The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It's not a journey of them running around trying to find seven lords because they're curious. Those men were loyal to Caspian's father. I expect he would feel kind of grateful that they stood up to Miraz for his father, whom Miraz murdered. That meant that they were also standing up for him. Another reason for their journey was to find the end of the world. That's sounds like a pretty exciting thing to me! And not only that, but they have ADVENTURES on the way. It's not like they just go from island to island, looking for the lost lords. "OK, they're not here. On to the next." They have ADVENTURES. There is a storm at sea; before the children get there, there is a short skirmish with pirates; they encounter a huge sea serpent; Eustace is turned into a dragon; etc. It's people like you who encourage the movie makers to go on ruining the storyline, and distorting the story that we love. Yes, we have the books. We've been told that a hundred thousand times. "If you don't like the movies, then just stick with the books." Well, we'd like to see a semi-faithful movie version of it. We also don't like the fact that those who haven't read the books are getting a dumbed down, action oriented, badly written version (or is it distortion) of the books. Michael Apted is taking liberties that he should not, and Douglas Gresham should stand up to him, if he admires his stepfather as much as he's always saying he does. Well, it's too late for him to do that, but he should have stood up to him already. Anyways…

32. Smooshy says:

I think people are overreacting but I guess that is an inherent trait of fandom. I'm not defending the filmmaker's decisions or anything. Just that in the big picture it's not a big deal. And I think we were spoiled by the LOTR films. They were arguably very close to the books (depending on who you ask, of course). But movies are always very different. As a book lover I have just come to expect to see something very, very different on the screen whenever an adaptation comes out. Obviously, I prefer them to be as close as possible but I'm simply saying I certainly don't EXPECT it.

I don't think the filmmakers "get" the books, or if they do, are afraid of the Christian themes–either for their own sakes (don't want to acknowledge them) or are afraid the movie won't make $$$ if they're included.

And we have yet to find out of the WW actually IS the LOTGK or if they simply look the same (played by same actress). I don't think they're the same in the books but I guess I can survive if the movie portrays them that way.

33. Pepper Darcy says:

I must be wicked… I like the dramatic twist he added. I almost cried watching the trailer to hear Lucy screaming 'no' like that in the climax… it was so pitiful to see poor Reep hunched in the rain. I actually ached for the characters.

Again, I'm not arguing with anyone who hates the changes. But I actually like them… to me there were minor changes. *cringes* I know everyone's going to pound me for this, but think of it this way, if people who haven't read the books saw the movie, wouldn't they think a movie with no climax was goofy or dumb? People who haven't read the books don't know what it's like. We'd *love* the movie to be like that, sailing from island to island etc.

But for others, it's a 'they just sailed around looking for a bunch of lords.' Apted didn't change the missing lords, he just *added* elements to it. Squeezed in other elements from the book together..

Again, I'm not trying to bash any of you on the head. You are definately entitled to your opinion… I'm the blacksheep here. AT least the movie hasn't lost the spiritual themes, right? temptation etc? I had *ALWAYS* thought that was a big theme 😉

34. I'm really confused…. but the worst part is that C.S. Lewis is dead and can't answer our questions! There is a LOT that happened between these books and I'm beginning to wonder if Douglas Gresham will take up the mantle of Narnia writer….

35. CEP Paul T says:

Aww. A big hug for those badly stressed out. And chocolate. Chocolate is a good sedative. I will have chocolate when I see this movie. That and Red Vines. And popcorn. Perhaps some Junior Mints.

… and friends. Must see it with friends. 😀

• Pepper Darcy says:

i'm going to see it with my sister the 11th and then the week after with LOTS of friends… (actualy two families, so that makes… 17 people the second time! 🙂 I'm just glad to be able to see somethign this year! 😀

36. Clive Staples Sibelius says:

Doug Gresham will NOT take up the mantle of Narnia writer, and shouldn't. And he knows that, I think. He took the liberty of naming Ramandu's Daughter, and that's ok. It's a pretty good name.

But THERE IS NO 8th Narnia book. Apted said something about the book Lewis "didn't write," not about one he didn't release. Lewis was a fast writer, but he didn't just churn out whatever plopped onto the page. He re-wrote The Magician's Nephew extensively. He says many many many times in his letters that he would not write more. And why would he need to? The last two books were the beginning and end of Narnia. It's hard to write more after that.

• Pepper Darcy says:

so are ya saying that 'Apted didn't mean Lewis wrote another book, but that there *was* potential or rather lots of material inbetween SC VDT?' I agree with ya, but that's what it sounds like you're saying! 😀 Which, i guess you can't blame people for wondering what happens during those years… goodness it's 70 years of 'wondering' =/

And Apted as anyone else knows that there wasn't another book, he's just saying there's a story Lewis *didn't* write… just like all the inbetween history =D I think that's what you're saying, isn't it?

37. StBrianofMinneapolis says:

I have been avoiding the big spoilers, so I dont know the true source of "something that can steal the light from this world". I am for it if this "something" is a precursor to the Lady(OTGK) and her underworld trying to destroy or take a way the light from the world above.

Once again, hooray for some changes. If my hopes hold true, this film will be a parallel voyage with different events and scenery rather than the voyage of the damned that so many fear.
    Let's not let it become fashionable to fear change.

38. Pepper Darcy says:

hmm, I wonder… did Apted mean by 'witches' and all that by saying he used the witch plot in *this* movie to lead UP to SC by implying that Witches are just plain 'after' Narnia?

By the way, it's not too crazy to think of WW being LotGK. Lewis would admit it… not that I'm saying it *IS* her. i'm saying it is possible, to quote Lewis, 'whoever heard of a witch that *REALLY* died? You can *always* get them back.' And anyhow, i'm just speculating, guys. I'm not trying to bash anyone on the head who thinks LotGK should be the WW or shouldn't be. I am okay either way. I think it's possible. I always got that impression myself.

But maybe, Apted was saying that stuff about the Witch in reference to what happens to Rilian. You know? I mean, if that's right, it gives some viewers an 'ah!' moment. 'OH! that's why the witch is after Caspian in VotDT. Now she's after Rilian's son.'

Just saying, maybe that's what he means and maybe he's just foreshadowing SC… and that could verwell be *exactly* what he's doing and not mean anything awful about it.

Just trying to encourage… not bash anyone on the head. K? =D

• Cynical Narnia Fanboy says:

well, the way I see it, they're all somehow connected with Jadis, b/c she ate the silver apple. But i think personally thata the WW and LotGk are different people, but they're the same breed…

• Pepper Darcy says:

that's what I've wondered (same breed of witches etc). I used to think WW/LotGK was the same, though around last January I started adopting the similiar sort. My sis (awel) suggests maybe LotGK (why didn't he name her… it'd be easy to say! not that I'm ridiculing Lewis… it'd just be easier to say 'Morwing' over LotGK 🙂 was an apprentice to the WW…

39. always narnian says:

I just don't understand….If you're going to make the voyage of the dawn treader than MAKE IT…If you wanted to make Narnia, than do it. Why sit and read inbetween the lines so you can make up a story you want? If C.S. Lewis had wanted another story, he would have written one. C.S. Lewis was a very amazing author. His story did indeed have much of a purpose….I will never understand…the cinema

40. Narnian of Old says:

Just passing through…I think we all need to be careful of building up our own personal expectations about anything (what do they teach them in these schools?) You have all been anticipating this movie for so long,why dump it now? I have great respect for Michael Apted's work with "Amazing Grace". I think we should hold out for long haul. For the record, I first read the Chronicles in the 1970's. I also cried through the entire "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe".

41. narnian resident says:

uhhh………this is strange, and a bit….intimidating? no, i wont let this go to my head. even though it sounds really odd and is confusing me a bit, im not gonna let it worry me

42. Da swede says:

Is there nobody except me here that's hoping for a sneak peek of Tash yet to come? A bit random I know, but as things are now every guess is a good one. 😉

• Cynical Narnia Fanboy says:

that would be interesting, but not really necessary right now. I wonder if they've started with concept art or anything. he needs to be the freakiest creature ever seen on the screen…

• Bookwyrm says:

Pfft, at this rate Tash will be Tilda in a vulture skull headdress.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

here's a REAL sneak peek for ya- the REAL Tash is in a high political office in america right now!! guess who?

43. Caspian says:

GIVE US CANON OR GIVE US DEATH!

Well…at least the death of the White Witch. Who, actually, isn't supposed to represent the devil. She represents one form that evil may take. Adolf Hitler wasn't the devil. The Pharisees and Romans responsible for Jesus' death were not the devil. Now Tash…I could see Tash representing the devil, but if Jadis shows up again, I'm with GlumPuddle. Book-verse fanatic to the end.

44. Carol says:

it means what we all know: the white witch will play a role until the end of everything hahahaha!

45. WarriorOfNarnia says:

Oh gee… Michael Apted should NOT direct the Silver Chair

46. Clive Staples Sibelius says:

I'm wondering now if Apted did not say "witches," but "witch's." Possessive, not plural. Knowing today's standards of spelling, I think we could give a little leeway here.

47. Eustace says:

THey are going to have both the ww and LOTGK in the sc?

48. Araken says:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time they did something…odd…like that…

49. Araken says:

But I am beginning to think that whoever is in charge hasn't read the books…

50. Maki says:

I read the whole quote..
    Now I am super mad!
    He's saying there was no reason for the journey..
    The reason was to see all the lords! Sheesh, it was important too. I can understand changing it for the film but saying the book had no reason?

51. Maenad says:

Does anyone else notice how poorly transcribed the quote is? "Witches" could easily have been written instead of "witch's". I'm a writing tutor…trust me, it's a common mistake.

About the story's motivation: I love Dawn Treader dearly, but it DOES lack continuity in its motivation. We go from two (or three if you count Magician's Nephew) books of "Save Narnia!" to…"let's go find some lords because we can and I said I would". That's the essential plot, and it doesn't compare to the others in terms of urgency, which is what makes films interesting. It works on paper, not necessarily on screen. VDT's plot IS less than cinematic. It's thought oriented, not action oriented (by which I do not mean battle scenes, I mean character action), and as a director myself I know that watching people think is the most boring thing to see. All Apted says in this quote is that they're going to make VDT and SC connect better in terms of character arcs (NOT plot arcs). How is that a bad thing in any way? They are making the INTERNAL journeys of the characters EXTERNAL so that we can see them on the screen, since we don't get to hear their thoughts like we do in the book. From where I see it, that's a good change.

And in what way does this article "confirm" that Tilda will play LoGK? In fact, it doesn't mention her or WW at all. It's likely that she could play her, and Apted wouldn't be the first to do it. She's a solid actress, and while I would like to see someone else do it, none of us is the casting director. The BBC miniseries, which seems to be touted as more accurate and "better", did it as well while still maintaining LoGK as a separate being from WW. Just because the actress is the same does not mean the characters will be.

Everyone gets so whiny over every little change made! And yes, I do mean whiny. As soon as something you don't like comes along, everyone's up in arms about "I'll boycott the movie if the do this!" or "They're ruining everything!". Learn to take the books and the films as separate. The film is Apted's (and the studio executives') *interpretation* of VDT, not a line-by-line reproduction. It's fine not to like a change, but at least try to understand why it was done before flying off the handle.

52. Lanaeith says:

I think that as long as I seperate the movie from the book I'll be ok. Think of them as two seperate entities. The book is fantastic (one of my favorites), but the movie might also be fantastic. As far as movies go anyway. Just don't think of them as telling the same story. Similar, yes. But not the same.

53. Lyle says:

The main reason why the WW cant be the GL is because it clearly states in SC that she is NOT. She is of the same kind – as in witches are akin to one another. But her backstory is totally differrent. That said, I don't think Michael Apted is going to that direction based on what he said. It's more of filling the gap, not making things up.

The least likely incident that could occur is they re-cast Tilda to play the GL forgoing any link her 'likeness' might have on the WW.

So relax, everyone, there's two months left until we find out the truth!

54. Puddlewiggle says:

This bugs me. A lot. I managed to accept the White Witch coming back in Prince Caspian, and even seeing her in the preview for VoDT I have gotten over. After all, the idea that Aslan killed her body but her evil still persists is there, and I think Lewis would be OK with that, even if it's not accurate to the book. What I AM worried about, is that in the VoDT trailer, there is a green mist rather than white or blue-ish, and if you look closely, her eyes are green.

I would call this a fore-shadowing. My problem with this is that the Lady of the Green Kirtle was a witch in actual human form, and the whole importance of Aslan having killed the Witch would be incredibly diminished.

And the whole 'untold/unwritten story' part – I think Lewis intended for us to keep thinking the Narnia stories. I think he would like the fact that there is Narnia fanfiction, and I believe he even wrote to somebody that there are plenty of unfinished stories in his books that we can finish (not least of which is Susan's story).

I can't say I like what they're doing. My first and final reaction to all these changes is that I'm hoping they don't get to 'the Last Battle' with the way they're going!

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

I actually liked the green "foreshadowing." We got from the newest trailer that the witch isn't actually still "alive," per-se (b/c Coriakin says that the "evil" isn't a witch). (I really don't get why EVERYONE IS FORGETTING THAT OBVIOUSLY JADIS WOULD BE EDMUND'S WORST NIGHTMARE AND THAT'S PROBABLY WHY HE "SEES" HER IN THE FOG. IF YOU READ THE BOOKS THIS SHOULD MAKE PERFECT SENSE TO YOU).

Anyway, back to the green…my guess is that they're trying to find some way to connect Jadis to LotGK more than just mention it in passing like it's done at the beginning of the book in SC. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY ARE MAKING HER THE SAME PERSON. What I AM saying is that since in SC, it was mentioned that the LotGK was "of the same sort" as Jadis, then they're trying to have some tangible way to connect the "evil" that they both spring from, if that makes any sense at all. Basically, that they're not the same person, but they come from the same source.

I hope that made some sense…

55. StevoBaggins says:

My first thought when reading that was "PLEASE tell me they aren't replacing the earth men with witches!" I hope "witches" is a typo. Another thing…has Apted read The Silver Chair? It starts with Jill behind the gym, hiding from the bullies. No mention of the witch until the Parliament of Owls.

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

I'm pretty sure it's a typo.

Really, people are freaking out over the one word and it's driving me nuts. Do you guys know how many typos people make daily? Probably millions…

• StevoBaggins says:

I should clarify…my "witches" comment was my first reaction. When I saw someone suggested it might be a typo, I felt better about it. That's why I said it was my first reaction and I didn't say it was how I felt when I posted the comment.

To the people shouting at the top of your lungs to calm down…shouting tends to rile tempers. Before telling others to calm down, you need to calm down. A lot of us are expressing our initial reactions, and to those of us who have grown up with The Chronicles of Narnia, it is very important to us that they make faithful adaptations of the movies. Beloved classics like these tend to evoke stronger reactions than lesser-known books. I agree that freaking out over something that is likely a typo probably isn't a good idea…but just as we need to cut the author of the article some slack, you need to cut us some slack. Those of you who are shouting "calm down", please calm down.

56. QueenLucy12 says:

Uhhhhhhhh. If WW is LotGK, I wouldnt know what to think… What is he thinking! This Story has a BIG reason for the journey. I don't which director I would want back. cuz I HAVENT Seen THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!! Oh Please Micheal apted make this a Wonderful movie…

57. Narnian Meerkat says:

Are they saying that C.S. Lewis doesn't know what he's doing? Are they saying he's STUPID!? C.S LEWIS KNOWS WHAT HE'S WRITING PEOPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

58. Narnian Meerkat says:

THERE IS A PERFECT MEANING TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. October 20, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by NarniaWeb.com, Freelancing Job and Andrea, Andrea. Andrea said: RT @NarniaWeb: Interesting quote from Michael Apted about filling the gap between Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair. http://bit.ly/cIzvY2 […]

2. October 20, 2010

[…] as NarniaWeb points out, Silver Chair has just one witch, not “witches” as Apted claims. So […]