Submit Questions to Joe Johnston, The Silver Chair Director

Joe Johnston, director of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair, is taking your questions! Post them in the comments section below or on Joe’s Facebook page. Joe will record a video response at a later date. (UPDATE: Please include your real first name and location)

Joe is pretty active on social media and already has quite a following due to his work on Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park III, and Captain America. View Joe’s YouTube channel and website.

UPDATE: Now accepting video questions! Upload them to YouTube (public or unlisted) and post the link in the comments below or on Joe’s Facebook page.

UPDATE: No longer accepting questions.

114 Responses

1. Korin says:

Are you interested in staying as close to the book as possible, as one of the previous Narnia directors, Andrew Adamston was? Or do you feel that you want to have more liberty with changing different aspects of the book?
    Also, how long have you been a fan of the Narnia stories?
    West Virgina

2. High king Peter says:

Hi!!
    1. Would Narnia Silver Chair bring back its theme song and narnian folky songs more often for this movie?( coz in dawn treader, i felt like they didn't use the theme song that much and a folky tune like Mr Tumnus' lullaby)

2. Unlike the previous movies, would narnia silver chair get a video resolution like the wardrobe and caspian movie? ( Dawn treader had a different video resolution from the 1st and 2nd movie, which quite low spirited me, yet i liked the story)

3. Will this movie be enjoyable for both kids and adults and a bit dark story ( not much tho )?

4. Any plans of making a cameo for the White witch?

5. Will it showdetailled backgrounds and also showing the beauty of nature like narnia 1, and 2?

3. Andrew Ketterley from London says:

I think that CGI characters make a movie look and feel fake, which, in my opinion, is a main reason why the Star Wars prequel trilogy and the Hobbit movies were far worse than their original trilogies (even Princess Leia and Tarkin from Rogue 1 looked fake). In fact, I think the only CGI Characters that ever looked good are Gollum and Smaug. Can you please have the Narnian creatures be real actors with costumes instead of lousy looking motion capture/CGI? I think the previous Narnia films have done a good job with this so far.
    Also, Can you please have Hans Zimmer do the score for this? he's the best in the biz, and I love all of his scores. Thanks a lot for helping bring Narnia back to film.

• High king Peter says:

Yeah too much characters make it kinda fake. Narnia 1 and 2 did good with their CGI characters coz CGI is involved just a few times (like for aslan, water man, reepicheep, and tilda), and others had spectaular costumes, which makes them more radiant. But in narnia 3, it was quite too much CGI. I hope this movie captures our hearts like the previous movies 🙂

4. Gandalf the Grey says:

My concern if Aslan's parts will be presented justly this time.

5. Gandalf the Grey says:

I'm concern about Aslan's part if will be justly executed.

6. Andre Ugh Lee-Bale says:

Andrea and Christian Bale are hoping to be cast for the Silver Chair movie in pre-production.

7. Vendel says:

Hey Joe Johnston 🙂 Here is my question…

Ján Vendelín Ficik (Slovakia)

8. Katya says:

Before you decided to direct this book Did you read it or its the first time when you experienced this story?
    And who is your favourite character?

Russia, Saint-Petersburg

• Impending Doom says:

I can't believe this is the first question asking him who is favorite character is…

Hope Joe answers this one!

9. Savannah says:

Do you think that you will be holding open auditions for the new Narnia movie ?
    I am so excited to see it!!!

10. Gandalf the Grey says:

Joe, might you do the Silver Chair movie in a 3 hours format?
    I think 3 is better than 2 for an experience of the world of Narnia.

-Tonga, South Pacific.

11. Gandalf the Grey says:

Joe – PLEASE!

1) Will you bring us a better Aslan with longer, faithful, and deeper sense as in the book; with the shots too, his eyes, his facial expression, his turns, his movements, and angles to the camera; his voice to be deeper, richer and stronger than any cast; and finally will you bring all Aslan part in the book – After all, above all characters, he's the one we always want not to be neglect.

2) Will you dedicate to find and shot in the best locations as possible as you vision the landscapes of the story? Will you persuade us with colors in every different settings, in following both tone and mood? Joe, will you also add something 'whatever' special you have to made the background as thrillingly, magically, sacredly, fiercely and mythological as it should be?

3) Will you make every character shine with their roles, from minors to majors? Will you make their interaction and inter-dialogue believable?

4) In the story or script there are certain parts that need to be extra special than the others, like retelling past events, or explaining the signs, or Aslan doing some magical works, or a dream, or the psychology of Puddleglum, etc. You will know them. Will you heed them with special attention?

12. Jillian Hopper says:

Hi Joe!
    Will casting be handled via agent submissions only, or will submissions be accepted from experienced laypeople as well? Thanks!

13. Rick kuhn says:

I see Jill and distance as about 12 but I think they are 9 in the book. Any thoughts about that?

14. PhelanVelvel says:

How will you balance the two, often contradictory, elements associated with the Chronicles of Narnia? That is, they are children's fiction, but often deal with mature themes. How will you preserve the emotional depth of the book while ensuring the film remains "appropriate" according to contemporary film ratings? Would you venture to make this film rated PG-13 if it meant preserving that emotional depth? Or do you feel that would be unnecessary, even at this early stage?

P.S. Sir, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking on this film. The chance to see this story brought to life in a visual medium by someone who cares about it is truly priceless.

15. Janet says:

I am curious to know who would be cast as Puddleglum (His character in the BBC radio drama version was awesome). Will you be strictly following the format of the book or will there be some major changes? Looking forward to the movie. All the very best!!!!
    Janet(Shillong)

16. waggawerewolf27 says:

Will the characterisation of the Lady of the Green Kirtle be strongly different from the previous three movies' characterisation of the White Witch?

17. Valentina says:

Hi!
    I was wondering if there will be open auditions for the cast and if it will be ethnicity specified it would be really cool to see more diversity of course I understand being truthful to the book but I think adding diversity will be amazing

• Anhun says:

Actually, Puddleglum has a dark brown skin tone in the book.

I'm not Joe Johnston by the way, I'm just another fan piggy-backing on your question.

18. Abbee says:

Hi Joe how come you guys film the silver chair after voyage of the dawn treader?

19. Gandalf the Grey says:

Joe, might you do the Silver Chair movie in a 3 hours format?
    I think 3 is better than 2, you know just to capture the juice-experience of story.

-Tonga, South Pacific.

20. Briana Sullivan says:

Will you be auditioning both inside and outside of the UK?

21. Hannah says:

I have always wanted to play a part in this film. Please, oh, please, could you tell me how to audition?

1. May 18, 2017

<strong>The Hobbit Movie Trilogy Smaug Poster Adult Silver</strong>

[…] age difference.well that makes sense for the children but what about aslan?.. t […]