The Voyage Begins in One Month…

Posted November 10, 2010 11:24 am by Glumpuddle

Reflections: One Month to Go…
by GlumPuddle

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader releases on Friday December 10… just one month away. The anticipation for this film has been an interesting journey.

Before Prince Caspian even finished shooting, it was announced that Michael Apted would take the reins from Andrew Adamson and direct The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I think this was the beginning of fans starting to view the film as a fresh start.

Prince Caspian hit theaters on May 16, 2008. Fans were divided, and its box office numbers were disappointing. The DVD release included pre-viz from Dawn Treader, and fans started getting excited. But, just a few weeks later, after several production delays and release date changes, Disney announced that they were dropping out. For five weeks, fans waited anxiously and pondered if the series was already over. Finally, Walden Media was joined by Fox. The final release date was announced as December 10, 2010.

As production began in Australia, the first pictures of the Dawn Treader herself started popping up. But instead of the big “ta-da!” revelation I think fans were waiting for, we slowly watched the ship evolve before our eyes and start to take shape. Spy videos of the filming started appearing on YouTube, and a few were controversial.

After production was complete, it was announced that the film would be converted to 3D. The reactions to this were mixed. I personally don’t love 3D, but I think it is safe to say that Walden is putting a lot of effort into making the 3D in this film as good as possible. This will not be Clash of the Titans where Warner Bros had to rush to convert it at the last minute.

Fox has taken a different approach to the marketing than Disney. The first trailer revealed very little about the plot, and there was not much advertising in the months that followed. But now, with the release just around the corner, Fox seems to have started really pulling back the curtain.

And that brings us to today.

I think, from the beginning, many fans have viewed this film as a chance for redemption. Prince Caspian‘s box office was disappointing, but the book is also generally considered the least-favorite in the series. Dawn Treader, on the other hand, is generally at the top. Was Prince Caspian‘s disappointing box office just a one-time fluke due to a poor release date and difficult source material? Or have audiences really lost interest in the series? Can Dawn Treader, with its better release date and more popular source material, get the series back on track? The answers are coming… in one month.

But even if Dawn Treader is a hit, the future of the series is still uncertain. The discussion and anticipation continues…

Further up and further in!

(When will you see the film? Vote in our poll, located on the bottom-right side of the homepage)

• Bother Eustace says:

Interesting to look back and think about all we’ve been through with regards to this film… I still remember the anxiety of not knowing whether Disney’s drop would kill the series or not! Now we’ve one month to go… wow. =D

• narnian1 says:

Great way of writing this news. I actually remembered for a second how upset and anxious I felt without knowing it the series would continue.

Those five weeks were agonizing! So glad Fox stepped up. *whew*

• Liberty Hoffman says:

wow, one month!
    finally the long awaited movie will be here! yay! πŸ˜€

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Well said, gP! Like it or not, this movie is a deciding factor in the future of the franchise. And despite the changes, my view is generally positive. Here’s hoping for the movie to do well and for SC to be greenlit!

Here we go! Further up, and further in!

I wish I could see it in a month, but my family doesn’t go to theaters, so I’ll wait to buy the DVD. I try to be patient…but it’s so hard to wait! However, I managed fine on the other two movies, so I guess I can handle this one. Go Dawn Treader! Here’s to hoping it’s the best movie of the holiday season! πŸ™‚

• HisWarrior says:

Thank goodness. After all the changes and all the tensions and all the waiting… we are nearly there.

• Shastafan says:

Wow…It’s great going back now and then to see the roots of how VDT started its voyage. I didn’t start really reading the news until it was June 2010 (although I remember reading about Will Poulter cast as Eustace and watching one of the spy videos), so when I learn more of what’s gone on before, I can’t help but feeling amazed at what all the NarniaWebbers experienced. I’m ready to finish the anticipated ride of insanity and spoilers, and if I’m lucky, I can be a full-time watcher on the next movie(SC, I hope!). Thank you glumPuddle for posting this, and further up and further in! πŸ˜‰

• Nick says:

Somewhere along the way, I won 3 free movie tickets. I’ll use one for the 3D showing, one for when I go with my family, & one to maybe go a third time. Who knows? I cannot wait.

• Edson07bs says:

Yes, I can’t believe this.

• Pepper Darcy says:

Hurray! I’m seeing it the 11th! And… then I’m seeing it again with people from our church. If it’s SUPPER good, I might go a third time πŸ˜€ ‘Who knows? Only time…’

Yeah, Apted felt like a fresh start, and I’m glad he took the helm of Dawn Treader. I was ready for Adamson to go! πŸ™‚ Though I have to hand it to him for chosing good Pevensie kids. Otherwise, I was ready for a new director πŸ™‚

• Scarlet13 says:

This is awesome! this movie has been one of the most things I’ve been waiting for all year! I can’t believe(but then I can) that its one month till! Im SOOO EXCITED!!!

• The Bulgy Bear says:

I remember doing all this same stuff back when PC was coming out too…I wish I’d been around back when LWW was just coming out too. But I’m planning to be back for all the rest!

For Narnia and for Aslan!
    ~Danieljofficial

P.S. For all of you on Twitter, use the #DawnTreader hashtag for anything you write about Narnia. Help make it a trending topic!!

• Chunky Monkey says:

You guys are way to excited. It’s just a movie, chill out.

• wolfloversk says:

What can I say? I get excited easily…

• wolfloversk says:

You should have seen me when I found out that they were making a movie with Steve Irwin (RIP)

And I agree with glumPuddle’s comment below as well, although for me the attachment to Narnia is for multiple reasons…

Just a movie? No. It’s a movie based on what might be the greatest work of fiction ever written. It’s a book about the longing for one’s true home and ultimately the joy of finding it. It’s a book that changed my life.

…And now they’re making a movie out of it! Ahhh! They have to get it right.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I agree with you glumPuddle, it is exciting. But some people make way to much of a deal over this. Yes I’m very excited, but after seeing it 20 times, I won’t be so excited. I think what CM means to say is that characters (that are not really real) should not affect your life.

• Manuel says:

I agree with you, glumPuddle, well said.

• LadyCourage says:

With all due respect Queen Elizabeth and CM, I’d like to ask- why not? Books have shaped who I am as a person since I was 4 years old. I understand other people much better than many of them understand anyone else. This understanding I’ve learned from the characters who live in books and then found to be true by observation.
        Book characters have affected my life in <em>drastic</em> ways, and I believe that to be a very good thing. As a matter of fact, I don’t understand why anyone needs to chill out over this film. But, that’s an opinion, and everyone’s entitled to their own opinion of course. πŸ˜› Especially here. πŸ™‚
        No, I’m not a dancing, screaming, maniacal fan, but that’s not exactly my personality either. πŸ˜› However, I will be very affected if this film does not turn out in a way that is true to the spirit of the book and C.S. Lewis’ vision. I was very upset over PC, and still shudder with dread over certain *ahem* events that were added. They were not true to the spirit of the book.

When books stop teaching me about life, stop giving me lifetime friends and stop filling me with passion, then I’ll stop getting hyped up about a movie made from a book. πŸ˜‰

• SnowingRoses says:

While I’m not a ‘purist’, the CoN books mean the world to me. I agree with glumPuddle.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I agree with all of you. What I meant to say to glumPuddle is that it is okay for the movies and books to influence you, just like they do my paintings. But it is not real, and if you live thinking like it is real then you could live your whole life without seeing what is right in front of you. I am a huge fan, more than you know. But don’t let it consume you.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

So my final statement is… DECEMBER 10th! 3D! Me, The Movie, and an Ultra Large Popcorn!!! πŸ™‚

• Amelia says:

I agree with Glumpuddle! It’s changed my life too! Anyway, it’s not *just* a book, or *just* a story. The themes in it, particularly Eustace’s redemption, are as real as real can be. I know from experience. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Goodness. I was just defending CM on their right an opinion even if you don’t agree with them you don’t have to shoot them down. They probably feel the same way about your opinion. And if any one knows more about the "themes" of Narnia it would be me. Yes some of us weren’t huge fans of the change ups but that is what the popular vote wanted.

• john smith says:

IM SO HAPPY! i get to see it on december 6!

• Queen Elizabeth says:

It’s about time! I feel like I’ve seen the whole movie already from trailers and stills, but I know that there is a lot more to come πŸ™‚

• Em says:

One Month!!! That’s totally crazy! The time passed so much more quickly than I thought it would! I absolutely cannot wait!!!

• silent warrior Trinity-hawkeye291 says:

NO WAY! IN ONE MONTH?!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!

• narniagirl says:

WOW! ONE MONTH TO GO!!! CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S JUST AROUND THE CORNER:)

• daughter of the King says:

Only one month???? Exciting! But that means it’s also only one month till finals week. Ahhh!

• Movie Aristotle says:

Only one month. It’s time to read the book again. πŸ™‚

• Mina says:

I thought about doing that, but as I can’t fully remember the book (just big ideas since I read it so long ago), I figured that I was probably doing myself a favor. I’m kind of a recovering book purist and if I don’t the remember the book as well, I’ll probably enjoy the movie more. =D

• glumpuddle says:

Well, what does that say about the movie as an adaptation if forgetting the book makes you enjoy it more?

• Princess Lucy says:

hahaha…i just read the book again so i can analyse the film when it comes out…but in an enjoying way…hehehehe

• Mina says:

I was merely saying that I’ll probably enjoy it more as I won’t be constantly comparing the two. I read PC right before I saw it, and was disappointed initally (I got over it.) I’ll reread the book afterward, but for my sake (and mostly for whoever goes with me) the movie will turn out better if I don’t remember details. Of course, I think I’ll enjoy the adaptation as long as it isn’t completely off course, and with positive "reviews" I’m hopeful.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I’m so glad the movie ties in with the origional themes of the book. And even thought the sea monster is not the same as in the book, it’s not a cliche monster everyone thinks of.

• DearHeart says:

Awesome, One Month!! I can’t believe it. It is crazy how fast time goes by…. I just can’t wait!!

What Might have Happened

• jill says:

Very interesting.

• 7chronicles says:

One more month! I Can’t Wait! What a ride we fans have been on! God Willing its on to SC next! Happy Birthday Douglas Gresham!

Why do people keep targeting Pepper for nasty comments? For the record, Pepper, I think you’re very nice and don’t deserve such rudeness. πŸ™‚ Hopefully the comment will get deleted.

• ann says:

I live in Bolivia so I have no idea when I will be able to see the movie πŸ™ so I can’t really do the poll, maybe you should put an option like "as soon as I can"

• Lover of Narnia says:

This is just awesome. Only one month away. It’s come so far, from getting our first look at the color of he sail and the un-constructed ship, to now. Fox is doing great at advertising. And I am SO excited for this movie. I believe it’s going to be very, very good.

• Jessie says:

SOOOOO freakin excited! But I am also very nervous cause my Black Belt Test is the same day. I keep telling myself; survive your black belt test then you get to go to narnia!

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

It has been a seemingly shorter wait for me because I did not become a serious fan until about Feb./March. But still, I am very thankful the movie’s life was rescued by 20th Century Fox. I remember back in 2005 when I was eight my family went to LWW. I was very fascinated. In December 2008, we rented Prince Caspian for the first time. I, sadly, did not think it was as cool or fascinating as the first movie. After that I read the books for the first time and deeply enjoyed them. They became seven of my favorite books. And in December 2009 I found out the third was being made, but I didn’t start following sites like this until February or March. Even though some spoilers made me cringe , I never completely lost hope. May your journey go well in a month, Dawn Treader.

• adamie says:

interesting read. Brings back so many memories!

• Jonathan Ruiz says:

i’ve been checking narniaweb.com DAILY for the past year.and to be honest when the rumors of LWW started…i remember back then..oh my time has gone by! yay for NarniaWeb! thank you for EVERYTHING that you’ve done NarniaWEb for us fellow Narnians.

• carlytr says:

can,t wait and see if this third movie will bering narnia back from its slup

• DanielmyBrother says:

One month to go. I remember when I first read this masterpiece. I said to myself, they have to make this into a movie. I was not impressed with BBC version at all. I am so looking forward to this movie, one month away!

• Amelia says:

The fact that I will not be able to see it in theatres is torture to me! πŸ˜› Wish I could go see it on opening night.

I hope "Dawn Treader" stokes a new interest in the series and that they’ll make "The Silver Chair" SOON!!!

• Hwin says:

I have been waiting for this ever since I first saw PC! I still remember how disappointed and anxious I was when I found out Disney ‘dropped out’ : P Hopefully the series may continue, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader will be a smashing success!!!!!

• lilims says:

I’m definetly going to watch it at least three times :]

• WarriorOfNarnia says:

I’m going to see it at midnight!! I gonna see it for my 15th birthday party, and I’m going to see it with my awesome pastor!!!

• geoffry says:

Having read The Chronicles of Narnia almost 50 years ago and re-read them several times since I have always thought the book The voyage of the Dawn Treader to be one of the better story line’s of the series. From the preview it looks like it is going to be fun movie I have been promising all year to take all my kids and grandkids to see it. I do hope that they continue making the rest of the books although I am not so sure about The Horse and His Boy

• NarnianRebel says:

Just to be random… I think the 3rd and 4th trailers where the best. Or maybe it would be the 3rd 4th and 5th? I don’t know; the last couple of trailers where great anyway. I am really incouraged. I think one of my fav. parts of the movie will be the colors though. They look A-MAZ-ING!

• Moonwood says:

Guys, check out the Narnia music video just added to the other 2 narnia trailers on Yahoo!

• Scarlet13 says:

ATTENTION! For those that Are watching The CMT Awards You might of just saw a Commercial for The MOVIE!!! I almost Freaked Out!!!!!! Anyone esle saw it????????????? πŸ˜€

• Scarlet13 says:

Sorry CMA awards!

• Beyond Narnia says:

I saw the CMA Awards commercial and FLIPPED OUT the new footage they showed was AMAZING!!! {thank God I’m a country music fan so I got to see that!!}

I was jumping up and down and clapping so loudly that my entire hallway came to see what was going on, then they all joined in too!

• Laura Elizabeth says:

Wow! Only one month left? I’ve never followed a movie before. Prince Caspian was followed only the slightest bit right at the end, but I’ve pretty much kept up with everything this time around. I’m ready to go see it, and to see who was right: the worry warts (that’s me!), the unquenchably cheerful people, or those who can’t make up their minds (that’s me sometimes). Either way, I’ll enjoy going to the theatre (I’ve only gone three times. Two were going to see the other Narnia movies), especially if they have it in 3D where we live.

• Gem says:

Hard to believe it’s already here. This film has so much resting on it’s shoulders. If it fails, the series is going to be most likely over. With Prince Caspian not doing well, in box office AND with the fans, VDT really is the redeeming film. I hope it lives up to it’s expectations!!

• Reepicheep says:

I have been extremely anxious about this film ever since Disney dumped the series, but now with Fox’s ever expanding marketing and very strong early reviews, i’m very sure it will be a success.

• Manuel says:

Have you seen the Carrie Underwood’s Music Video in Aslan’s Country? There are new images from the film, IΒ΄m very moved!:

• jill pole says:

I see the film 9 december because i’m living in holland!

• always narnian says:

Yes…It’s been a long wait….Let’s just hope…that this long of waiting wasn’t a disappointment…But I’m afraid it will be …

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry