Dawn Treader Grosses $24.5m Opening Weekend

Posted December 12, 2010 2:20 pm by Glumpuddle

In its first three days, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader grossed an estimated $24.5 Million in the U.S. and Canada. 54% of that came from 3D showings. This total falls short of the $55m earned by Prince Caspian (May 2008), and the $65m by The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (December 2005). Dawn Treader‘s worldwide total is at $105m.

Estimated weekend results:
1. $24m – The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
2. $17m – The Tourist
3. $14m – Tangled
4. $8m – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One
5. $4 – Unstoppable

Box Office Mojo writes:

It was hoped that a return to December along with marketing that pushed the first movie’s lion, witch and Christian angles and the addition of the 3D illusion would rekindle interest, but the third Narnia mustered a weaker start than fantasy also-ran The Golden Compass, let alone the other Narnias.

Read the full report here

The domestic total is certainly below expectations. But it fared better internationally. Yahoo writes:

[Dawn Treader and The Tourist] were lambasted by critics, and both carried hefty price tags — $150 million and $100 million, respectively — requiring strong overseas sales to make them profitable. The two previous “Chronicles of Narnia” films did most of their business overseas, where Depp and Jolie are also more popular.
[…]
Fox said it succeeded in its aim of resurrecting the franchise, and was “excited” about its overall prospects.

Dawn Treader will face some big competition from Disney’s Tron: Legacy when it releases this Friday.

Now, it is time to wait and see if another Narnia film is green-lit…

• Vinรญccios says:

American Friends,my name is Vinรญccios Matheus Giraldelli, I am so Brazilian.

need your help we rise to Narnia!

Ticket The U.S. is not very good, and she’s
    threatening the entire franchise! All movies that are not
    success there, end up not having sequels. Then, the destination
    of Narnia, in a sense, is at hand.

I come here to ask on behalf of all fans of Narnia, aid
    you. Publicize the film, go over and over in
    cinema. DO NOT WATCH TRON – The Legacy.

The future of Narnia, depends on us all!

• son of adam says:

For temporary I’ll not go to see Tron, Tangled…… untill Fox greenlit Silver Chair. ๐Ÿ™‚

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

yeah, boycott those vicious, lying creeps at disney.!!

• lilims says:

Yes! Definitely no Tron! My friend wants to watch Tron, but if I give him a little puppy pout he’ll come watch it with me and our other friends ๐Ÿ˜›

• Embrace says:

WOW! Great to see it making such a huge international impact! And it hasnยดt even opened here in Sweden yet for instance so thereยดs more to come! ๐Ÿ™‚ But what the **** happened in the US?! ๐Ÿ™

• thesithempire says:

The international figures are extremely impressive (Europeans in general have superior taste and education, so I’m not surprised).

VDT is a great film, a bit on the short side, which does make it flow quickly, and give it an abrupt ending, but overall, it’s very well done (I think an extended blu-ray is in order) and has a lot of heart!

Thankfully, it’s not a cheesy kids film (which is what the mediocre, plastic-looking TLTWATW felt like at times), but a film for everyone.

The few complaining that it doesn’t have magic, or it wasn’t like the first film, or didn’t exactly reproduce every single sentence from the book, well, you’re entitled to your opinions, but I’m glad you’re not in charge. I don’t want to see the kind of nonsense you’d make.

The Silver Chair, if they greenlight it, needs to be DARK like the book, meaning the tone has to be off-the-beaten path from the average "family" film (which is usually safe and silly). It needs to be awash in mood, more of an art-film than a Dreamworks one. I think Apted would be a very fine director for that. But I’d also love to see what Spike Jonze (Where the Wild Things Are) could do. I also think Del Toro would do great things with it.

We’ll see if Americans can get on the ball and go enjoy this wonderful film instead of the ridiculously stupid looking Tron.

• tuonela says:

I really loved the movie, too! There were definitely some things that could be better — but what movie doesn’t? I actually liked it the best of the three. The other two were wonderful spectacles, but this one really touched my heart!
      And I think it’s way too soon to be pessimistic about the box office numbers. The movie opened in my town on Friday …and nobody knew it was here. Because there were no posters, no ads, and our theatre manager didn’t even know when it was going to be playing. With those circumstances, how could people go see it? I do think it’ll build, if people realize how good it is, and that it’s actually playing. And based on things I heard people saying when they were leaving the theatre, I really think people will start going to see it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Embrace says:

Well said!
      The Silver Chair must get the (Lady Of The) Green (Kirtle) Light and be made as dark and wunderschรถn as possible!

• Anna's Sister says:

It beat Harry Potter!!!!!!!!

• phvolt220 says:

Only because it’s been around for a month and everybody has already seen it, but I am glad with Dawn Treader’s success. ๐Ÿ™‚

• narniafan#1 says:

I’d like to know how much of that $25m was from England. Narnia is just as popular there, probably more since it was C. S. Lewis’s homeland. Popularity there might contribute to SC being made here. Also, maybe DVD sales of VDT could influence that decision??? Anyway, I’ll definitely go see VDT again!

• faunforaslan says:

Planning on seeing it again sometime soon! I am boycotting all Disney movies that are released while Voyage is still in there. No Tangled, Tron Legacy and all that stuff. Blah! ๐Ÿ˜€

• son of adam says:

Yup! Untill Fox greenlit The Silver Chair! ๐Ÿ˜€

• faunforaslan says:

Totally! To be honest, The Silver Chair is one of my least favorite of the Narnia books, but I still like it! Lol. Maybe that will change when I reread the series sometime soon. Hopefully Fox does greenlight it. It would make me very happy!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

yeah, the silver chair is my least favorite book, so maybe a good film treatment would help me to enjoy it more. I actually think they should pump up the comedy factor when they can, with Puddleglum. maybe show caspian falling in love and marrying Lil, then aging them . Add some characterization , so we care about these people BEFORE they are in danger. and a new person for the green witch.

• NarnianRebel says:

I know nothing about "good" movie numbers, but hey, if it came out on top, SWEET! I saw the movie and loved it! My new Fav. (Next to LotR and PotC!) My fav. movies are always Fantacy/Action movies!

• Embrace says:

VDT
    US-$24.5 million
    International-$81 million
    Total- $105.5 million

Conclusion:

International waters rule!
    They never run dry!
    Sail on baby!

๐Ÿ˜‰

• Ted C says:

Loved the movie. Disappointed by the opening weekend numbers. I was one of 7 in my theater on opening day. 7!!! This does not bode well for a fourth movie. To bad really, Im rereading Silver Chair and if done right it could be a fantastic follow up adventure. Of course, Im preaching to the choir on this site.

• gstommylee says:

maybe not for opening weekend domestically but internationally it did great. And they are gonna be looking at the overall # before they decide on a 4th movie.

• hsawaknoW says:

I can’t rembemer…was there as big an outcry to go see PC as there is for VDT? I was a little suprised by the outcry. After waiting so long why don’t we just enjoy THIS movie for now!

• msd1835 says:

Well if Angelina and Johnny Depp can’t do better than Narnia, I think that says something good about it. Even Potter didn’t beat it, for which I am very happy. I think the American economy, with regards to the holidays, may have people buying gifts more than seeing movies. From what I hear though, the movie is great. I will be going tomorrow.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

hey maybe we should get johnny depp for silver chair- just kidding!

• lilims says:

As Puddleglum:P My friend read somewhere that Angelina went to go watch it with her kids and shes plannning on going again! This time they’re taking grandpa.

• The narniad says:

I think (or I hope) it was more because lots of people were out buying gifts for the holidays- that’s one of the downsides to releasing so near to Christmas. Hopefully things will pick up during the week! ๐Ÿ˜€

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

anyone know why it ended up at only an hour and a half after they announced it at 2 hours a couple weeks ago? it really needed that extra half hour for pacing. how bout an article on that?

• Bob says:

That’s what you get for trying to pander to Christians and being heavy handed with propoganda. This is the worst result by far. Very disappointed. This franchise needed to expand its appeal, not narrow it down to some bible belt in the United States.

• Moonwood says:

I am a christian, but I am not from the United States.
      This characature of the ignorant, uncultured american red neck who only calls himself a christian because he would not be able to get a job in his town, does NOT apply to all christians, and I am sure is actually a pretty small ( but loud ) percentage of U.S christians.
      AND the producers have already censored ALOT of the allegory in the movies. What happened to the ‘Emoror-over-sea’ ? To deviate from the allegory in the story would be to CHANGE the story, and it is the main appeal of it.
      It would be a slap in the face to Lewis, and would, as M. Apted wrote,
      ‘Be silly’.
      I am willing to bet that 80 % ( which is almost the percentage of moviegoers in Rotten Tomatoes who liked it ) of the people in this forum would prefer not to see the chronicles made into movies if they are to be censored further of their allegory. I sure would’nt

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

heavy handed? I think they should have pumped up the christianity then the churches would have mobilized like they did for the first movie and passion of the christ. cs lewis’ stepson had to fight for almost every christian element in it, he said

• Moonwood says:

True. The allegory in the books is much stronger, and very tastefully done.
        In fact, fantasy WITHOUT allegory is a relatively recent thing.
        Could this have started when some people started mixing politics and religion ?

• CWRunner says:

Since when was going from 56 million (Prince Caspian) to 24 million (VDT) a resurection of the franchise?

• gstommylee says:

Fox is looking at the whole picture aka both domestic and international #s.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

The single most important number for studios in determining profitability is the opening weekend DOMESTIC take. Depending on the deal that they cut with the domestic exhibitors, their take can be anywhere from 60-100% for the first 1-3 weeks. After that, it drops severely. Conversely, their cut from international gross is, roughly, 30-40%, at the very most. And, out of that, they have to pay foreign marketing costs. If FOX is left with $15 million of that $80.5 million that the film earned outside the U.S. and Canada, they’d be very lucky. International numbers are gravy. The real meat is all domestic. What FOX is doing is crisis management. They are a very prominent division of a publicly traded company, and that is standard operating procedure. These numbers are beyond terrible for a production of this size, and they represent a HUGE fall from the previous films. Not a little dip, a supersonic nosedive.

• Moonwood says:

N.-N. C. , what a wet blanket you are! lol

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

actually they have given up on the US for this series, they think it’s too british for us. that’s why they opened in 3x more foreign markets this time than for PC

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I’m going tomorrow!!!!!!! YES!! Happy day.

• Moonwood says:

If they made so made sequels to the Halloween movies…

• Scarlet13 says:

I Really Loved the movie and have been praying alot that they would be able to make the other 4! So People go see it again. Cause I wont be able to see it again till its in the dollar theater ๐Ÿ™

• mere says:

i am so upset. i live close enough to where i could have gone! and i didn’t know they were going to be there. rgggggggg.

• Not Of This World says:

This is a question for everyone. Who thinks the "needs to make a certain amount of money to make more Narnia movies" is real, and who thinks it’s a stunt to make more money? (I personaly think it’s real, but i’d like to hear other peoples oppinions) Thanks!

• Chloie says:

Even though the numbers aren’t great, I’m really surprised it did better then ‘The Tourist’. The theater I went to had a long line for ‘The Tourist’ while Narnia was pretty empty. Taking into consideration they opened the same day and ‘The Tourist’ had such big name stars, I’m pretty impressed Narnia held up so well! I bet it’ll get some good numbers over Christmas break!

• son of adam says:

Today I saw it for 3rd times!!
    Fox, please give us The Silver Chair!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Embrace says:

Is it beacause there are no american actors in the Narnia movies (Except the voice of Michael Madsen as the wolf Maugrim – of all people – in LWW) that it doesnยดt hit as big in the US? That would be really lame in that case.

• Skaught says:

No, that’s not the case. I don’t think Americans care about an actor’s nationality. James Bond movies are huge here, and that’s about a British agent.

• FrecklefaceJill says:

I saw the movie, awesome…..really hope they come out with the SC!

• Rhinestone Suderman says:

i’ve got to put in a dissenting vote here; I really don’t want to see this same bunch of people put on "Silver Chair"—or "Magician’s Nephew", or "The Last Battle" and definitely not "The Horse and His Boy"! (I suspect they’d do the Calormenes as the good guys!)

Christians, and fans of C.S. Lewis, have expected so much from these movies. . . I’m afraid they’re too eager to forgive any flaws in them, too easily pleased and too willing to settle for a very inferior product.

VDT is a mildly entertaining movie, that drags a bit in too many parts; it is not C.S. Lewis’ "Voyage of the Dawn Treader". for that, you’ll have to read the original story (a good idea in any event.)

For my own part, I really don’t want to see any more re-writing, and re-hashing of the characters, or the stories; Lucy discovers that she really loves herself, and doesn’t need any other guide but herself; Peter and Edmund continue to angst and fret over not being kings anymore (with some cameo appearances by the White Witch), Susan grows up to love lipstick and stockings, as a real girl should, and ends up marrying Caspian in the "Last Battle", with Ramandu’s daughter, Lilli-whathername? acting as officiant, while Aslan appears—briefly—and tells everyone to be true to themselves, and they’ll be fine.

Then they all return to England, where WWII is still going on, and fight the Nazis.

I’m joking, but this does seem the direction they’re heading. I’d like to see good movies done of the Narnia books, but I’m not going to support a franchise that seems determined to re-write them.

• Skaught says:

In this film, Caspian indicated on a map where he defeated the Calormenes. And the slave traders and buyers certainly matched Lewis’ description of Calormenes. So I don’t see them as making those guys out as good guys. No doubt, there would be criticism from certain places about a film that depicted Muslim-inspired characters as bad guys, so it would take some guts to pull it off. But you may be surprised.

• milojthatch says:

I tend to agree, some things have to be altered slightly for the sake of political correctness. Good or bad, it is the way it is.

• Rhinestone Suderman says:

Actually, the Calormenes in the movie match neither Lewis’ description of them, nor the Pauline Baynes drawings of them (which Lewis must have approved.)

Lewis’Calormenes speak in flowery, allusive and poetic language and are, as a people, rich, elegant and cultured, dressing like nobles of the Ottoman Empire, or ancient Persians (according to the Baynes illustrations); the Calormenes in the movie look like refugees from a Pirate movie, or Biblical era Hebrews (speaking of stereotypes! Oy!), didn’t speak in a flowery, Arabian Nights style or really have anything distintctive about them.

• Rhinestone Suderman says:

The Problem with the Calormenes is that in the later movies, such as "Horse and his Boy", or "Last Battle", you won’t be able to simply mention them, or show brief shots of them; you’re going to have to bring them on, in all their Baghdad-Gothic, 1,001 Nights, Politically incorrect glory, or not do those stories at all.

Worst of all, would be to bring them in, but watered down, or substitute some politically correct villains in their place; another reason I’m leery about continuing this series under the aegis of the same people.

• Realistic Narnia Nerd says:

I have to admit that I’m not exactly pleased with the way they are taking this, but I have come to terms that I cannot complain, as I am not the one making the film to my satisfaction. This is Hollywood we are talking about, and no amount of displeasure will change them. I have come to like the books for the books, and the movies for the movies, and to stop comparing them and worrying about them. It is not up to the fans to decide how to do it.
      I’m sorry if this sounds rude and pushy, but I think people keep setting themselves up for disappointment when a movie is made off a book, and they get mad at everyone for changing it so much. It’s just the way Hollywood works and if you want it to be done just like the books, you’ll have to direct it yourself.

• Carmello says:

I actually disagree with a lot of the sentiment on this website regarding VDT being a poor re-write. There was always going to be some hacking and slashing of the original story to fit Hollywood… but I thought this was WAYYYY better than Prince Caspian. Since I was a kid, I was always fascinated by Dark Island and was glad to see it given a much more prominent role in the film.

My wife said it best – in the first two movies Douglas Gresham was a Producer, and in VDT he is the EXECUTIVE Producer, so he had much more say as to what was said or done in the film. I feel like Lewis’ original theme of "temptation" in VDT came across very nicely, from start to finish.

I was going to jump out of my skin if they kept out Aslan’s line to Lucy where he says "I am known by another name in your world". I was waiting for him to finish that sentence and then say, "I am love" or something ridiculous like that. (I’m a Christian, so I understand that God IS love… but I was just afraid they were going to turn it into Universalism or something).

Anyway, I enjoyed the film and really had NO gripes with the direction they took it in. And I REALLY loved the tribute to the original artwork during the credits. I thought that was very lovely and touching.

I also loved their decision for the actor who played Eustace. I always felt the actors and actresses playing the Pevensies were very weak. But the lad playing Eustace was superb I thought. Love the reference to Jill at the end of the movie.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

since it came in number one by a wide margin over even jolie and depp, i would think they’d understand people want narnia. I bet they could do a cool job with silver chair, giants and stuff, casual moviegoers would probably be intrigued, and purists probably wouldn’t get so bent out of shape since it’s not as spirtiually doctrinal as the other books.

• Nathan says:

$105 million dollars so far. Obviously they will make back their $140 million that they spent on it. But these money loving filmmakers will refuse to greenlight The Silver Chair, which is a very promising story, and if they would do it right, could potentially make as much as the first narnia.

• Aurora says:

It’s a shame that the websites are reporting that the Dawn Treader was a flop. I hope it picks up and more people do go and see it. I would definitely go and see it more than once.

• milojthatch says:

That fact is that it is not, World wide it made over $100 million. But, there is this feeling in Hollywood and the US itself that business outside the US doesn’t count or something like that. That seemed to be Disney’s feelings as "Prince Caspian" made almost twice it’s money back if you look at the whole picture of money made from over seas, but it was almost like the international money doesn’t count or something, like unless it makes tons of money in the US, it is a flop. Such thinking needs to change, especially with the US economy sucking so bad right now.

• Bookwyrm says:

I’ve lost track of how many times people have posted on here that Walden/Fox don’t get that much of the international money. Domestic is what counts. I’m sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it’s true.

• Princess Lucy says:

Its ironic US gross counts where most of the cast is british…and the story is british..i know america is the most famous country but still other countries exist too…we should look at the overall gross rather than just looking at one or two..it will give a much better picture ๐Ÿ˜‰

• narnia fan 7 says:

105 million worldwide in 3 Days not bad PC made 77 million worldwide on it Opening Weekend looking good.

CHEERING FOR JOY!!!!!!!!!!

• Rhinestone Suderman says:

For those who say we should just enjoy the movie as a movie, and not expect it to be like the book. . . well, I’d like to, but as a stand-alone movie, is it really that good? In my opinion, it’s never more than mildly entertaining, and too many scenes drag.

The fight with the sea monster seems to go on forever. The cast are all dressed in what look like the Ren-Faire garage sale costumes, you see on too many Sy-Fy channel shows; there’s very little character development, or interaction, except between Eustance and Reepicheep (a part taken directly from Lewis.)

The green mist is lame plot device, the whole sacrifice bit is muddled; to what, who and why, are these people being sacrificed? And why sacrifice them by putting them in boats to bob about the ocean, like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean? Again, we never learn much about the Lone Islanders, so who cares what happens to them anyway?

Two characters are brought on board the ship—and nothing is ever done with them, so what the heck are they doing there? The bit with the star/Liliandil/Ramandu’s daughter is confusing, and baffling, as is the way Lucy’s jealousy of Susan is presented; Lucy actually wants to BE Susan? So much so that she sees Susan’s face in the mirror, instead of her own? And what’s with the weird scene where she hallucinates being Susan, back in England, with everyone shouting, "AND HERE’S MISS PEVENSIE!" Has Susan suddenly become a movie star? We musta missed that part. . . all this makes Lucy seem more like mental case than a girl jealous of a pretty older sister.

The Dark Island, where our heroes must face the darkness in themselves, and they will be tested as never before. . . blah, blah, blah. Like that hasn’t been done in a bazillion fantasy tales; even Sy-Fy probably avoids that old chestnut now; the original story, where it’s the place where real dreams, as opposed to daydreams, come true, was more interesting.

As an adaptation, it’s a flop, and none of the non-Lewis stuff they put in makes for an entertaining story.

• milojthatch says:

I think you missed something that I didn’t. The dream sequence with Lucy being Susan was more Lucy’s vision of what life must be like for her sister, not reality. Lucy has gotten to the age where she is caring about her looks and what boys think about her. She knows from the past, as well from the letter Susan wrote to her at the start of the film, that Susan is popular with the boys, mostly likely for her looks. Lucy suddenly wants that and feels that if she looked more like Susan, she have Susan’s luck with the boys. Then of course Aslan steps in and Lucy realizes how vain she was becoming and how important she is personally.

I think they did a great job with that bit. Don’t see how anyone could miss it.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I’m finally going today!!!!!!!! Is Ed really that cheesy though. Cause he’s my fav and I don’t want to have to laugh at him.

• Deanna says:

Although by the gross figures it appears as if the movie did not do so well, one needs to compare it to how the other movies fared in light of the economic times. Many people wish to see the movie who do not have the for it at the moment, especially the 3-D version.
    As for changing the story from the original, my opinion was that the book lacks a continuity thread to tie the individual adventures together as well as a dramatic climax to work towards. The green mist created that for the film. As for the "darkness within", they all dealt with temptation in the book; this method simply highlighted that forcus a bit more. Having Lucy see herself as Susan in the vision I perceived to be a way to bring Susan and Peter into the movie. As a female, I appreciated how they dealt with Lucy feeling insecure about her looks for so many girls are bound by this fear. I know we all perceive and accept things differently, and this is how I perceive it.

• milojthatch says:

The economy is a good fact that seems to be skipped over in why films don’t do better at the book office. There was a really big storm in the mid-west that kept many people from going to the movies, and frankly, a lot of the audience for this film in the US live there. You add that to that fact that audiences are not going to movies as much as they used to, and there you go! Yes, I know some films like "potter" are still seeing so called "big numbers," but in part thanks to 3D ticket prices, those numbers are skewed. It is fair to say that fewer people saw the last "Potter" then the first one in theaters.

• Hwin says:

Fox has done it again making a beloved book into a visual catastrophe.

In terms of following the book the PBS version did a way better job. It appered to me that the director read the book and said "eh it will never work" Then proceeded to throw it away.

While watching this movie I found myself becoming interested then bored interested then bored out of my mind. I was confused more than once on what the actors had said and what they were doing. What did Edmund say about Eustice? What did Lucy grab? I rolled by eyes at the mention of the green mist and the seven magical swords.
    The musical score appeared to be a rip off of Pirates of the Caribbean and Eragon with just a hint of the original Narnian soundtrack.

When all was said and done I walked a way very disappointed.
    Good job Fox first Eragon now Voyage of the Dawn Treader which book to movie will you ruin next?

• Hwin says:

Fox has done it again making a beloved book into a visual catastrophe.

In terms of following the book the PBS version did a way better job. It appeared to me that the director read the book and said "eh it will never work" Then proceeded to throw it away.

When all was said and done I walked a way very disappointed.

• milojthatch says:

I promise it would be worse or the same at Disney and that any other studio may have ruined it far worse. The only thing keeping it from looking anything like the books is Walden Media, who at the core really respects these books. If they were not involved, they either would not be made period or at the very least, really not look anything like the books we all love.

• milojthatch says:

I keep hearing people talk about "re-boots" and "Starting over again" and stuff like that. I think a lot of people don’t get it. "Narnia" is not like "Batman," "Hulk," "Star Trek" or Bond," these films are it, either period or at the very least, for a long, long time. If "Last Battle," "Magician’s Nephew" and/ or "Horse and His Boy" don’t get made this time, don’t expect to ever see them. There is no "re-set" button, there is no going back and starting over, either this series gets completed, or we all just loose out.

The reality of the matter is that movie tastes have and are changing. The reason why in a large part that "Lord of the Rings," "Harry Potter," and even "Twilight" for that matter have had so much success, even with alterations to their films from the books, is becuase they are NOT kids movies. The family film as it were is under attack and starting to look and feel less like "family films." Even though "Potter" is called a "family film," it and the other two series have all had a fair amount of violence with dark over tones, and each have received the "PG-13" rating, a thing if done right, no "Narnia" film will ever get.

The fact is, most adults or teens see the "PG" rating and skip it. Then you add the fact that it is steeped in religious over tones and fantasy elements not hampered by modern sensibilities. Potter can cast all the spells he wants, but is accepted becuase he is also a normal teen first a foremost dealing with growing up, pimples and learning about girls. People want realistic settings these days and even with the so called "fantasy boom" in movies, they still want those fantasies, grounded in reality. That is not "Narnia." "Narnia" lacks "realism," and is too "safe" for teen and adult audiences on the whole.

If this series had been made in the 80’s or 90’s though, it would be looked on by that same audience for the most part as "nostalgic." But for today, is thought of as a relic and boring. THAT is why the film makers saw the need to add to the books, things like Susan liking Caspian, or have a "villain" in "Dawn Treader." It was their attempt to make "Narnia" matter to modern audiences.

So, again, as a result, this is it. With all of that in mind, more realistically, if this series ends, it’s done for good. No one is going to want to touch it ever again or at the very least, not for a very long time, and then even if they do, that version would be so badly altered that most who cry four over the last two films today would think of them as faithful adaptations in comparison. As a "Narnia" fan, I really don’t want to see that happen.

If you want to see these books on the big screen, this is out time, so stand with this series or walk away from it, but understand that this really is it and get away from ideas of "re-boots" as they would most likely never happen or happen in a long time or well. Walden has more respect for these books then maybe any other force in Hollywood and it is time to back them up on that!

• Rhinestone Suderman says:

I’d like to see the Chronicles of Narnia on the big screen.

I really don’t want to see patched together, generic fantasy films, made to "matter" to a modern audience, with all the things we liked about the books leached out of them, to allegedly make them more appealing to young, hip audiences. If the movies can only be "saved" by re-writing the characters, and throwing in stuff like a romance between Susan and Caspian (the movies’ treatment of Susan’s character, by the way, is one of the things that is really throwing off the plot, and interfering with the characters) then maybe they shouldn’t be saved.

You know, all that stuff in William Faulkner, about race relations and dark family secrets is really depressing, and the young people of today might not be able to relate to it, so let’s throw in a nice romance, and maybe a few song and dance numbers, when we make his books into movies! And Scarlet Letter is out of date, with emphasis on sin and morality, so why don’t we make it more amusing, and write Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow into the script? And instead of doing the outdated version of "Romeo and Juliet", let’s cast Hannah Montana as Juliet and have her do a big rock show at the end, where all the Montagues and the Capulets hug, and make peace!"

Let’s not go there, even for the sake of saving family movies; in fact, especially for the sake of family movies.

• Believer in His new name says:

I thought the movie was good. Not quite as good as I wished, but a good movie. A few of the lines made me cringe, and the plot changes ticked me off a little bit, but then I am a die hard book supporter. A little sad that the numbers didn’t do as well as hoped, but that is to be expected due to the economy. Also, several of my friends that saw PC refused to go because they didn’t want to have the way they remembered the book ruined by changes. But, it still would have been nice to have it go over expectations in the opening weekend.

• JoelCool7 says:

Well honestly didn’t Disney already say that the third movie would be the last? Everyone here talking about Disney ruining the rest of the books is silly. Especially with such low box office numbers. Chances of Disney and Walden deciding to take on the rest of the books are slim to none. Disney wants something that will guarantee good profit margins and Narnia just isn’t performing well enough. Walden could push for it themselves but I doubt they would get very far. I think this third pne will be the last. Unless it ends up having legs and making Disney about 500-600 mill.

• Linus the True says:

Um, JoelCool7: Dawn Treader isn’t making any money for Disney. Disney had nothing to do with this one. ๐Ÿ™‚ This one was by 20th Century Fox.

• Linus the True says:

This is probably the best result we could have hoped for. It was #1 at the box office, which suggests another film might be possible, but its lower-than-hoped-for domestic pull will hopefully tell the filmmakers that audiences don’t just want another retread of the first movie. (I’m referring here to the advertising; I can’t afford to go see it yet.) Hopefully if and when SC is made, the filmmakers will embrace the originality of the story rather than try to make it look like it’s just derivative of other fantasy stories. (Again, I’m referring to the marketing, not the film itself.)

• son of adam says:

Matthew Vaughn, director of Stardust and Kick-ass, should direct the next Narnia movies!

Stardust budget โ€“ 70mil