Millie Bobby Brown to Star In Enola Holmes Movie… Unavailable for The Silver Chair?

Posted January 10, 2018 9:34 pm by Glumpuddle

A rumor (still unconfirmed) that Millie Bobby Brown had been offered the role of Jill Pole in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair broke late last year. But, her schedule is filling up.

According to Deadline, the Stranger Things actress is now set to star in and produce a movie based on the Enola Holmes mystery series. This makes it seem less likely that she will be available for The Silver Chair, which is supposed to begin production later this year.

It is still possible that Brown was indeed offered the role, but declined it. But nothing has been confirmed.

Would she make a good Jill? Here’s what we think.

• narnia fan 7 says:

The report doesn’t give any idea of when the ‘Enola Holmes’ film would be made so I think it’s possible she could still be available for Silver Chair. All the same I’m kind of giving up on the idea of Brown playing Jill.

• Leorio says:

Nevermind, still got Ruby Barnhill.

• JFG says:

I feel bad about the idea that Brown won’t play Jill Pole because she can’t, or because she doesn’t want to. She is a great young actress, even if she’s quickly growing too mature for the role of a 12-year-old. But still, there are thousands of great child actors who could play the character and do her justice. I’m not too concerned. P.S. I’m interested to know who the filmmakers want to play Eustace Scrubb etc.!

• waggawerewolf27 says:

That is much more important. The story is told from Jill’s point of view, but Eustace’s importance is because he told her about the place, he was there beforehand and he is Jill’s companion and helper. Whoever plays Eustace needs to be as good an actor as does the person playing Jill.

• JFG says:

I agree with you about casting both a good actress and actor, because in many ways, Eustace is a co-lead with Jill, and less of a supporting charter like Puddleglum;
        Similar to how Samwise was kind of a co-lead with Frodo in The Lord of the Rings, and less of a supporting character like Gollum – I know, Puddleglum is not like Gollum! 🙂
        The relationship between all 3 main characters is important, but Jill & Eustace’s friendship is central to the story, maybe more so than Jill & Aslan.
        It’s all just my opinion, but there’s a reason Lewis wrote the opening scene of the book as a conversation between two kids behind a school gym, and it wasn’t just to start the plot. It was to start an emotional connection between our main characters.
        This requires dam good actors to play Eustace and Jill.

• Skilletdude says:

If it were up to me, I would prefer the cast to be relatively unknown, but I get why the studio may be going in the other direction. And while I haven’t seen anything Brown has been in, from the interviews I’ve seen, she acts far too grown up for her age. That’s not isolated to her; most child stars do. I just don’t happen to like it. In contrast, the Pevensie actors had a naive and unpolished quality about them, on and off-stage, that fit well for their characters.

• Tiriana says:

I agree with what you said about Millie and about the "Pevensies," Skilletdude. The one interview I saw Millie in, I thought she was an adult! With the Pevensie actors I never got that (of course, I KNEW they were kids; they both looked it and acted it; Millie looks and acts older). Those four were something special.

• JFG says:

I think Brown was approached for the part of Jill partly because she is a great young actress NOW, and not just because she is a fresh face to Hollywood Cinema.
      Critics who disliked the original Narnia movies felt the young cast was "weak" and "unmemorable" when compared to "great" child actors – despite Georgie Henley and Skander Keynes winning many Young Actor/Actress awards.
      Joe Johnston probably wants young actors who will deliver great performances, similar to how young actors did so in older movies, rather than taking a risk on fresh faces to lead the film. Examples: It worked (overall) with Harry Potter because 8 films is a great way to show maturity in young actors. But Narnia changes its young cast every 1-2 movies, so there is more pressure to pick well known actors for the individual parts.

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry