Filming Wraps on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

And just like that, filming for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader wraps up. According to the blog of Mirko Grillini filming finished up the afternoon of Nov 21.

As we have come to an end, the last opportunity of being all together was on Saturday night. My first hollywood wrap party…. wow. I can certainly do another one. There was so many people that I didn’t even get the chance of say hi to at least 75% of them.

It was great to see cast, crew and extras all together as one team, plus partners. Everybody was talking to everybody (or trying to) people dancing, the food was constantly coming around on large trays, and everybody seem to be happy.

We had finished the shoot late afternoon, just enough time to go back to the hotel, shower and get changed.

There were speeches from Mark Johnson, Michael Apted and the main cast, Ben wrapped it up with his amazing energy. I tell you what, he knows how to get the crowd going. He’s natural charm and portrayal are magnetic. Ben is not only a wonderful actor, he is a prince in real life, not because he’s from a royal family, but because he has an incredible good and friendly nature.

You can read the whole blog post here.

And now onto post-production!

Thanks to ellz_bellz for the heads-up!

124 Responses

1. The Batman says:

Wow! I had no idea that they would already be done filming! Thanks so much ellz_bellz, this is so exciting!!! Only 381 more days… ๐Ÿ™‚

• scrubb says:

how long was the filming total? it seems just like a few months but the lww and pc both like 1 year and a half… it cant wait!!

• MurtaghLuv says:

it was just a few months of actual filming. now they have to do the special effects and everything.
        the year and half of filming of the first to movies included this stuff. a lot of people say this is still filming even though the actual filming part is done.

2. Valentina says:

Just like that??? WOW! Thanks for the info =DD

3. Empress of the Lone Islands says:

This makes me both happy and sad. The movie is ready to go to the next step of editing and such (one step closer to seeing it on the big screen!), but Edmund, Lucy, and Caspian won't be in Narnia anymore until Last Battle and Horse and His Boy. Now I'm looking forward to the trailers ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lady Galadriel says:

Well, Caspian will be back in SC. (And Eustace.)

• Empress of the Lone Islands says:

Yes, that's true, I nearly forgot about Caspian in SC! ๐Ÿ™‚

• TumnusTheBrave says:

sorry 2 down your vibe but that is if they make 'The Silver Chair'

• narniafan4ever โ™ฅ says:

Yeah, but it will be sad to see Caspian really old and feeble….sniffle. It will be good to see Eustace again, I'm sure. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Liberty Hoffman says:

yay! I had nearly forgotten Ben in SC too! yay! he will have to be in SC at the end! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Fire Fairy says:

TumnustheBrave, they do plan on making SC. The only thing now is whether or not they get a good reception from fans for VDT. If they do, then they can go ahead with the next movie!

And yes, it'll be nice to see Ben at the end of SC! It is disappointing that we won't see Skandar and Georgie for several years, though. ๐Ÿ™ Let's hope we see them in HHB!

• Puddleglum says:

I would hope that the producers see the wisdom of producing the next films closer together. As I mentioned in an earlier post, King Caspian, the adult, will definitly be out of place in a modern english schoolyard chasing bullies.
        Perhaps the producers will think of making A Horse and His Boy, and/or The Magician's Nephew while making the Silver Chair?

• Narnia Is My Life says:

Just to say it might not be Ben playing Caspian if he is really old it might be another actor!?!
        Because It's nearly the end of the film doesn't this mean that there isn't going to be any more post or do they keep on posting about what the actors are doing in their personal lifes????

4. Violamom says:

It's done already? Has there been ANY word about Ramandu? I'm looking on IMDB, and it's so bare of information it's hard for me to believe they've finished all the principle shooting. *Sigh* Oh well, I'm grateful for the information we DO have…thanks for everything, NW! Keep it comin'!

• JadistarkilleR says:

NarniaFans just confirmed that there is one more week to go for filming VODT. this wrap party was done for the general cast and crew since most people at this point will be leaving production given that their part is over. we're not sure if it means even main cast (Ben, Skandar, Georgie, Will) is done shooting as well. as you mentioned no one has had a word of Ramandu or his Daughter save from the earlier casting announcement.

makes me kinda wonder if there would be any kind of "pick ups" which usually happens way after main production and sometime in the middle of the editing process. i'm a little concerned about that schedule because Ben Barnes as another film to do in Ireland next year and may not find it as easy to pluck himself off from there just to double back to Oz for pick ups, i'm pretty sure he's learned his lesson during the Toronto film fest ๐Ÿ˜‰

• fantasia_kitty says:

Well he confirmed that the Howard Berger still has a week left there. And they're for sure doing some last minute pick-up scenes that you do for every movie. But I still think that the bulk of the filming is complete. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. glumPuddle says:

Further up and further in! Bring on the footage!

6. CaspianX says:

Here we go!!! Now we're getting somewhere! It's a shame that it is most likely the last time we'll see Skandar and Georgie.

7. midnightmoon says:

wow done already! thats unbelievable!

8. Silver the Wanderer says:

Well done cast and crew! Now VDT, full speed ahead towards post production!!!

9. narniamouse says:

Now I hope they will give us a trailer

10. CEP Paul T says:

Bravo Zulu to the crew! Fair winds and following seas as The Dawn Treader sails into Post Production. Enjoy a well deserved liberty over the holidays.

11. FriendOfNarnia2 says:

We won't be seeing a trailer for at least another 6 months, but maybe we'll get some "behind the scenes" videos, or a quick sneak peek! I'll take anything they throw at us!

• NarniaLuver4Ever says:

I agree. It's going to be at least a few months before we see any footage because they have to do CGI work, editing, and tons of other important movie stuff before they can even think about making a trailer.

12. Lutra's Pearl says:

I am really happy that they are done because that means that we are getting closer to when it comes out but it is still really sad that they are done. Keep the story of Aslan alive!!

13. Eden says:

YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!
    That was quicker than I thought it would be. ๐Ÿ™‚ I cannot wait till they release the trailer! Although that probably won't be anytime soon…
    But I am really glad things are really starting to move along. I'm getting even more excited! XD

14. Lady Galadriel says:

I guess I'm the only one who's actually sad that they're done filming. For me it feels like the "ending of the Pevensie era" (and we haven't even seen the movie yet!)! Hahaha, melodramatic!

Can't wait for post-production to move on. But it's so weird that this movie was done filming so fast!

• Puddleglum says:

It can be hoped that Georgie, and the rest are cast in the Horse, and His Boy. If they film that at the same time as The Last Battle, releasing it just before would be perfect.

• Puddleglum says:

I know I did not adress My Lady's fellings about the ending of filming, (Humble apologies), but be sure that they are felt by many.

15. always narnian says:

Wow… It's over already? Amazing

16. JadistarkilleR says:

so they've finished slightly ahead of schedule, this is very good. ๐Ÿ™‚ looks like Apted ran a tight ship. certainly post production might start getting underway if not as soon as December then by January next year.

truthfully i'm hoping that finishing this early *wont* give funny ideas to the studios to push for a summer release. they got no serious threat in December and a glut of potential BO killers during the summer with various sequels littering nearly every week of the summer (IronMan 2, Twilight 3, nth Resident Evil). KEEP NARNIA AS A WINTER HOLIDAY MOVIE WALDEN/FOX. it isnt summer fanfare. it never was.

17. Anna's Sister says:

It's so sad that we won't be seeing Georgie and Skander until the Last Battle. filming seemed to go by so fast.

• daughter of the King says:

If all goes well, they'll be back for Horse and His Boy along with Anna and James McAvoy.

• The Great and Fearless Pug says:

Wait, what about William?

• Lady Galadriel says:

William Moseley? It depends on whether his character would receive scenes in HHB, right? (Since the High King receives nothing more than a mention in the book.)

• Liberty Hoffman says:

um, Peter isn't in HHB, as far as the book goes…..he is off fighting giants and is only mentioned!
        I don't think William Moseley will be in HHB, unfortunatly! ๐Ÿ™ oh well. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Fire Fairy says:

Yeah, unless they decide to give him a cameo or something. With the way they've been doing the scripts, it's very likely.

• Lutra's Pearl says:

I always thought that they would do the HHB next. Because they are going to have Shasta and Aravis in the LB. Nice to see you Anna's Sister! Keep the story of Aslan alive!

18. Narniagirl101 says:

Great! Cant wait till it comes out. Now, I heard that it is coming out December 10th 2010… But I looked on savrel other sites and it says May 7th (I think7th) 2010. whitch one is the right date? Thanks so much!

Narniagirl101

19. The Servant says:

Is it really going to take 13 months to do cg?

• NarniaLuver4Ever says:

No probably not. They will probably finish with it much earlier than that, and let us hope they don't decide to be stupid and release it in the summer, instead of the winter.

• Why are you opposed to a summer release? Post-production doesn't take that long. I for one would love if it was put back to may 7th. Inform me if I'm wrong, but then they would be able to release the DVD in time for Christmas gifts(a good marketing idea in my opinion).

• NarniaLuver4Ever says:

List of highly anticipated 2010 summer flicks:
        1.Iron Man 2
        2.Robin Hood
        3.Shrek Forever After
        5.Prince of Persia: The Sands Of Time
        6.Sex And The City 2
        7.The A-Team
        8.The Karate Kid
        9.Toy Story 3
        10.The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
        11.Salt
        12.Hairspray 2
        Narnia films have not established themselves enough to be released in the summer, compete with other summer blockbusters, and be highly successful(i.e. Prince Caspian against Iron Man anyone?). A winter release date is much more practical and would ensure a high gross so that Walden Media will continue to make the Chronicles of Narnia. It is imperative for VDT to do as well as LWW or better if we would like to see any more Narnia films. Thus it would be most logical to release it in the winter when there is less competition.

narnialover4ever is right, remember when PC competed with iron man? that was crazy and stressful! i can see clearly why they did it in winter to avoid intense competition. winter's just as good as summer: school brake, holidays, people going out to do stuff like watch movies-yeah, it works out just as good, and less stress too. also, having lesser competition would probably help the movie be successful, unlike PC that kinda flopped cuz of all the other summer blockbusters. remember they're grossing rate? much less than LWW, and i bet because LWW was in DECEMBER than in summer like PC was. they should do that with all the movies so they can be successful ๐Ÿ™‚

• Little DLF says:

Plus LWW was set mostly in winter, and was released in winter. I think they wanted to keep it that way.

• SavedByGrace says:

A holiday release would be so much better. I was so disappointed that they released PC last summer, and that it did bad because of that. May VDT have a better outcome.

What, they're making another Robin Hood Movie? Who's making it and who's in it?

• NarniaLuver4Ever says:

SavedByGrace: Yes they are making another Robin Hood movie. Universal Studios is producing it and Ridley Scott (who directed 'Gladiator') is directing it. Russell Crowe is playing Robin Hood, Cate Blanchett is playing Maid Marian, and Matthew Macfadyen. I'm pretty excited about, I hope it's good!
        P.S. I like your user name. It's so cool and true!

• NarniaLuver4Ever says:

Hahaha whoops! I forgot to say Matthew Macfadyen is playing the Sheriff of Nottingham.

20. Tim says:

I am hopeful about this, but hesitant. 'Prince Caspian' was a disaster – a truly terrible film that had no relation to the book. Will this be any better? I can ony hope so.

• 220chrisTian says:

PC may have had little relation to the book but as a movie it was NOT a disaster! Movie-wise, I liked PC much more than LWW.

• Nuts4Narnia says:

yes i agree book wise it had hardly any relation but 1 of my favorite scenes in the movie was when they raided the castle, NOT in the book but it was well dun, i hope they do it closer to the book this time but im sure whatever happens it will be fine it has a huge fanbase and really unless ur a narnia nut like us u wouldnt have noticed half of the "none relation"

any who i think it while b fine the only 2 probs i have is that disney chikened out ( just for that i hope the movie goes over a million times better than even LWW) and andrew didnt direct this one

ehh…PC was good, but i would say LWW was much better. you know what they say, sequels are never as good. im not saying PC was bad, i loved it! but, it wasnt as close to the book as the last one, but thats not all that defines a good narnia movie though. it just wasnt as good.

21. Lady of Narnia says:

Wow. They're done filming already? Wow. Sail on VDT!

• narniafan4ever โ™ฅ says:

Yeah, that was really fast! ๐Ÿ™‚ We are getting closer and closer to opening night! We are about three weeks away from the one-year waiting time….sigh. ๐Ÿ™‚

22. que bien que este rapido el personaje sisisisisisisisisi y ps me informa el 21 de Nov

23. Mirima Rosetrader says:

Wow, it's already wrapped up? It's seems like yesterday when the filming started. It's seems like such a short time to film though. I was hoping for some more updates on the cast, but that's okay. I'm glad Ben Barnes really is a nice person and not just a good looking actor. I hope William Moseley is like that too. It's good to know your favorite actors are really good people. Thank you ellz_bellz for the news! Sail on VDT!

i agree! i was worried Ben was turning into a shallow man who didnt care about anything but his looks and girls. hollywood can do that to you. but it sounds here that he made a good impression. thats good.

24. GlimGlum says:

Great! Now it's time to put it all together. ๐Ÿ™‚ Sail on VTD!

25. narnia fan7 says:

Awesome 381 days to go I can't wait Further up Further in!!!

26. Jill Pole says:

OHMYGAWD! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it's time for the trailer! Which I will watch devotedly for ever till the movie comes out!

lol i did that too when PC's trailer came out ๐Ÿ™‚ watching the trailer over and over just gets me in a happy mood! but then it makes me want to see the movie more badly ๐Ÿ˜€

27. Farsight the Eagle says:

Just like that!!! Yeah! Part 1 down, Part 2–waiting for VOTD to come to theatres!

28. Peepicheep says:

I am sad to see them go! But I can't until it finished! *faints with happiness*

29. pselpevensie says:

wow! filming ended REALLY quickly. it seems like yesterday Fox signed on. OMNLY A LITTLE OVER A YEAR TILL THE MOVIE!!!!!

30. Christian says:

Wow… Over already? I can hardly believe it started. I hope this means we'll be seeing a trailer some time in the near future. =D

31. skandarLover45 says:

Sweetness! So excited for the movie! I ja'dore that it's almost done!

32. Yes finally! Now we can get to see the whole thing soon!^^

33. 7chronicles says:

And to think we were so worried that we would never see VDT on screen! Thank God, it's done! Now bring on SC!

34. Peepiceeka says:

It's kind of sad that it's all over. But now we have less time before we finally get to see VDT!

35. Kotarki says:

Now we can actually start speculation about a trailer coming along.

36. Liberty Hoffman says:

they are done filming? wait…..that means that Georgie and Skandar are done in Narnia until HHB! ๐Ÿ™ that makes me sad!
    but at the same time, if filming is done, that is one step closer to the movie's release!

37. Narnia Lover says:

!!!!!!! I can't believe that they're done! Closer to seeing the movie! SAIL ON VDT! ๐Ÿ˜€

38. Fanofnarnia4ever+ever+ever says:

WHOA WHOA WAIT A SEC! THEIR DONE FILMING COMPLETELY! Wow I had no idea!

well, the film isnt COMPLETELY complete. they still have to go back and edit and do all that, and sometimes movies even bring back the actors and crew to redo scenes months after they left, so they might even do that. besides, we've still got more than a year to wait…

39. redeemedqueen says:

And now for over a year of waiting during post-production…I'm hoping for a teaser by Christmas!

40. narnian resident says:

wow i had always thought a movie would take MUCH longer than that! well, of course there's all the editing and such, but basically the main part of filming is over! man…..that means this is our first farewell to the pevensies…until we see them again in HHB of course, and last battle. but by then they'll be grown up! omg! anyway, yay! i cant wait for the trailer im going to scream and jump no matter what they show. i'll see the title or the first clip and i'll scream! and i WILL recognize it right away! when we had seen the trailer for PC they had that first scene of Lucy and Susan running across the road then they show the lion statue, i gasped because i could recognize the girls from back there! and i whispered to my brother, "its narnia!" and he nearly choked on a piece of popcorn! lol

41. Aslan's my homeboy says:

So bittersweet I am going to miss Skandar and Georgie terribly ๐Ÿ™ But I knew it was coming and obviously they have to move on with their lives and I am sure that they will do amazing things becuase they are both amazing people

• King Skandar the Just says:

Definitely. Very well said Aslan's my homeboy! Georgie and Skandar are definitely amazing people.
      Sail Onward Dawn Treader!

42. King Skandar the Just says:

sigh…quite sad…quite sad…but then of course that tells us that they have what they need out of the actors and that we are all closer to viewing the great film they've made!

43. Puddleglum says:

Thinking ahead, I hope that they have the bloopers that he mention in the DVD when it's released.

44. Waleed Sajjad says:

MUST HAVE TRAILER WEN WILL IT CUM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. liliโ˜ฎ says:

I read the dude's blog, who's arabella????
    please, i need an answer!!!

46. fnafa4ever says:

now the waiting sets in…

47. Nicola says:

Well I know for a fact that the movie is going to be amazing we got to watch it being filmed the most amazing experience ever bring on Dec 2010

48. Mal says:

Alright. Now we just wait…

49. yeswelovenarnia says:

well. i hope that this movie is not a disaster and they did stick to the book more than i think they did. i can't wait to see trailers though……

50. adamie says:

Wow, that is pretty strange. So Ben, Skandar and Georgie might be done with the franchise.

51. Anonymous Narnian says:

And with that, the Dawn Treader moves past the island of filming and on towards that of post-production. Sail on, VDT!

52. martinthewarrior says:

sweet finally! now we might see some footage of the movie sooner…….AT LEAST I HOPE SO!

53. WarriorQueen says:

Wow! That was fast. Seems like I just was reading posts about filming starting just a day ago. ๐Ÿ™‚

54. Mrs. Peter Pevensie says:

Good heavens! They are done already? My, my!

55. relientkfan says:

awesome, but i can't believe it's over already…

is arabella gael? ("yes, Skandar, Georgie, Will and even Arabella had to take private tuitions every day between takes as part of their education progression")

56. Duffleglum says:

Just like that??????
    This is crazy exciting!
    I mean, to know that they have now filmed the entire movie, with all the new and old parts, and with the dufflepudds and reep going over the edge of the world…. astounding!

It's over so fast, yet we wait another year til this film hits the theaters…
    I almost feel this film will be a great one, even if they did do some major changing!

Now we wait……………..

57. narniamaniac says:

Whoa! Is it just me or did the filming fly by in what felt like two seconds?!? I haven't been on Narniaweb for a while now, but I guess I missed a lot!

1. November 22, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by NarniaWeb.com, Husna Safira. Husna Safira said: Now onto post-production!! RT @NarniaWeb Filming wraps on VDT http://bit.ly/4w9FJd […]

2. November 25, 2009

[…] NarniaWeb e Mirko Grillini | TRADUร‡รƒO: Narnianos.com AKPC_IDS += "2293,";Popularity: unranked [?]Leia […]