Why is Walden Making ‘Magician’s Nephew’ Next?

The Christian Post caught up with Micheal Flaherty to talk to him about the future of the Narnia films. Flaherty confirmed that Walden plans to make The Magician’s Nephew as the fourth Narnia movie (which we already knew) and that they’re currently in talks with Fox and the C.S. Lewis Estate about it.

But what was interesting was one of the reasons he listed as to why they were making The Magician’s Nephew next instead of The Silver Chair.

Looking ahead, Walden Media believes The Magician’s Nephew has the potential to be a blockbuster hit like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because it is the second most popular book in the Narnia series.

Flaherty explained that box office performance for Narnia films appears to mimic the amount of people’s interest in the books.

“What’s interesting is that the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe over this period of time sold twice as many books as Prince Caspian and it did twice as much at the box office. Prince Caspian sold a third of the books as Dawn Treader and did a third at the box office,” he noted.

“So while it’s not always a correlation between books to film, so far with these first three films, it has been.”

The full story is available here.

371 Responses

1. Eliseo says:

Im all for The Magicians Nephew next!

• Noelle says:

me too! I love that book! I just wish they hadn't hinted about making SC next… and it seems more logical to do that instead of MN… But I'll love to see that book on the screen finally.

• Yeah I'm all for The Magician's Nephew being the next movie too, as long as it's the hands of good a director and good scirpt writers who will not rush the filmaking process and just take their time to make it great, and if they stay true to C.S Lewis's vision, and not throw in a bunch of their own material; it should really be C.S Lewis's movie it shouldn't be theirs. And also if the studio just backs off and doesn't micro-manage the director at work.
      And I also really hope that they don't replace Will Poulter when they get to making The Silver Chair because of his age, because he's a really good actor who did a really good job as Eustace in VDT, and I hate it when directors do that.

• WishIwerePolly says:

Yeah me too!! I mean I would prefer for them to do Silver Chair next. But only because otherwise Will Poulter is going to grow up too much! But as lont as they're doing one I'm happy ๐Ÿ˜€

2. NarnianGirl says:

I think its a smart move to make The Magician's Nephew next. It will give Will some time to grow up and portray the older wiser Eustace in The Silver Chair!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• coracle says:

Eustace is only a few months older in Silver Chair than he is in Dawn Treader. Or were you thinking of the 16 year old he is in Last Battle? Will could play either of those yesterday.

• stateofgreen says:

LOL Coracle!

• NarnianGirl says:

No I meant the Silver Chair actually. True he is only a few months older in SC than in VDT, but he is also written as very different, much wiser character in SC. A a year or two will help in portraying that.

3. AslanIsOnTheMove says:

But The Magician's Nephew is the beginning of the series. If you are going to start reading a series it stands to reason that you would begin at the beginning, thus the first book would sell more copies. That doesn't mean people like it more. It just means they had to start somewhere. I hope it does make a ton of money. I WANT TO SEE THE SILVER CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And I want to see Will Poulter and Ben Barnes return) *calms and ends rant.*

4. Why can't they just admit that the reason the films have done poorly is because they keep messing with them? Clearly their is not a correlation between which books are the most popular and which films are. If that was the case then VDT should have done MUCH MUCH better than PC at the box office, as it's 10x more popular.

• fantasia_kitty says:

It's only the most popular with people who have read all seven books. Micheal Flaherty is talking about book sales, which is a completely different thing. LWW wins hands down in that category.
      Though I do agree with you that the movie adaptation and quality played a much larger role in box office sales than they're willing to admit.

• Queen Su says:

I completely agree!

• I completely agree with you narnialover101 the reason why PC and VDT weren't very popular is because the directors and writers kept messing with C.S. Lewis's stories and throwing in they're own junk in the movies. VDT isn't just one of my favourite books in the narnia series, but one of my all time favourite children's books, and it shouldn't have been tampered with.

VDT easily had the potential to be just as good as LWW if not a lot better. Call me crazy but I truly believe that VDT had the potential to be a classic masterpiece, if put into the hands of the right directors and scirpt writers, and stayed true to C.S. Lewis's vision. It makes me pretty upset that the filmakers of the last 2 narnia movies just won't admit to their mistakes and learn from them. For the sake of us the fans.

5. AslanJudah says:

Non fans are going to be so confused as to the order. There are already 2 different schools of thought on which order to read the books and this won't help.

6. Aslan's Meadow says:

alright, MN here we come! I really don't care what movie is made next..I just want another well made Narnian movie.

7. alh says:

I think it is great to do this now. How many times do you see them wait to do a prequel later in the series. This is the beginning…alot of people who have only saw the movies don't even know this is the beginning…so lets show them.

8. wannawork4Weta says:

I want to see Tilda throw that piece of the lamppost on the big screen!

9. wait – have they greenlit MN?

10. Arvan says:

If they think that the popularity of the books is affecting which films do better, then they should realize that their ridiculous changes are behind the low income.

Interesting that they decided to do a prequel right about the same time as The Hobbit…

11. doughboy says:

@AslanoIsOnTheMove – Technically The Magician's Nephew is NOT the first book in the series. CS Lewis released the books differently than the way they are being released today. LW&W is considered the first book in the series. Publishing companies feel they need to reorder the books in chronological order which is NOT what C.S. Lewis intended.

As for doing The Magician's Nephew next is an insult to the Lewis Estate. The movies should be done in the correct order with the next being Silver Chair. Would a singer like it if another artist changed the order of their lyrics? Moving around the stanzas and chorus to make sense in their eyes?

All the movie production companies care about is how much money they can milk out of this. Screw them. I've enjoy the movies for the most part but feel the higher ups want to micromanage how the movies are being made.

• Lucy says:

Um, C.S. Lewis LIKED the chronical order. Read a book!

• lysander says:

First off, Lucy, what you mean is "chronological," not "chronical." Secondly, it's rather offensive to tell doughboy to "Read a book!," when he comes across as quite intelligent and well-read, however much you may disagree with his views. Finally, the one record we have of Lewis making a reference to the chronological order is in a letter to a young boy who was CERTAIN this was the correct order in which to read it and was writing to Lewis to make sure. Jack was hardly going to tell him, "No, you're totally wrong. Go cry to your mommy."

The interchange has been read multiple ways, and cannot be regarded as conclusive evidence one way or another.

• Lucy says:

Right, so you're telling me that C.S. Lewis LIED when he said he "prefered the order"?

But if he was trying to be nice to the kid, he didn't have to flat out tell an untruth, and honestly I don't think he would have. He could have KINDLY told the kid, "While I don't see anything wrong with your order, I prefer your mothers." if he really wantd his books read the publication way. Unless you're Douglas Grishem and actually KNEW the man, I don't think you (or anyone else) has a right to falsely accuse Jack of being "patronizing" or "lying to be kind" There's nothing wrong with Publication Order, Lewis didn't even publish them in the order he wrote them so he wouldn't particlarly care if someone read them in whatever order they personally liked, probably, but this argument against chronligical (yeah I spelled it wrong, again, sorry) order isn't an excuse to say Publication is the ONLY real order.

PS: I'm sorry by the way if my "read a book" comment hurt anyone's feelings. I didn't mean to.

• Justin says:

If Prince Caspian/Voyage of the Dawn Treader had done as well as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The fact is that they didn't. As a result, they are making a decision based on what they think will make them more profit. That's how business works, as disappointing as that might be to the fans who would like to see things in the standard order.

At this point, I expect that eliminates Silver Chair being done (or at least with Will, although stranger things have happened), which is a pity, since I really liked Will as Eustace. However, given the relatively weak box office performance, I'd kind of given up hope of all seven being made, anyway. I'm just grateful for whatever we get (and making a point to see them in the theater several times and buying them on dvd).

12. Kelly says:

I don't mind MN being next. People who don't know it's a 'prequel' to LWW will realise and it's better doing it now than later. But SC is the next in publication order so it would make sense that one being next.

However, the production teams only care about the money they're making & have changed the movies so much in places which does get annoying at times. I know that movies can't be EXACTLY the same as the books but they don't really need to stray that far away. It's no wonder the series nearly ended after PC. But at least with MN it's another Narnia movie. Rant over. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Northernranger says:

I am fine with them making it but it seems to be random. By the time they get around to doing the Silver Chair they will have to find a new Eustace. The MN is not one of my favorite books and that could have something to do with it.

14. Rilian The Disenchanted says:

I'm a bit concerned about this particular sentence.

[quote]"If we can all agree to move forward, then what we would do is find someone to write the script. So, it could still be a couple of years."[/qoute]

A couple of years. So let's say 2 years minimum, that makes already 2013. It takes forever to make these movies. Wich is really sad.

• Eviliini says:

I don't mind waiting a couple of years, especially if they decide to get new screenwriters.

• Arvan says:

2013 is the year The Hobbit Pt. 2 is released. Not good.

• ruhl-eowyn says:

Very true. Especially if the Hobbit part one goes well.

• Brock says:

It's like I've said before: it won't look good to have a Narnian movie about magic rings coming out the same time as "The Hobbit." People will just say, "Narnia is a copycat."

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

Well, just about everything Peter Jackson does is liked, so I don't have any doubt The Hobbit is going to do well, which may create a problem for Narnia…

• DamselJillPole says:

I agree Rilian! That really threw me off as well on narniafans.

• Seiko says:

The longer they fool around the less interest the movie public will have. it should definitely be out in 2012. How long does it take to read a 200 page book and turn into a script? All they need to do is detail the Jadis vs. her sister part for the big screen, and show every part of Jadis' running around London. The rest is already written. I could do this in 2 months easily without trouble.

15. wolfloversk says:

""If we can all agree to move forward, then what we would do is find someone to write the script. So, it could still be a couple of years.""

A couple years?!! I can't wait that long! Neither can the series… start on both of them so they can be released faster!

• stateofgreen says:

Yeah they take so long doing things now with this setback it will be longer.

• AJAiken says:

Even if they greenlit MN now it would take a couple of years. Pre-production can take six months to a year, production around six months, and then another six month for post-production: two years.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

Yeah, see that's the problem, they already took long enough trying to decide what to do next!

16. Mayor Wilkins says:

This is good.
    Now all we need is an official green light. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    And I want confirmation that Tilda Swinton will play Jadis in "The Magician's Nephew" film.

• moonwood says:

And I want JOHN CLEESE !!!!! LOL

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Yep! ๐Ÿ˜‰
        I'm really into that casting choice for Uncle Andrew.
        Can you imagine if that ACTUALLY happened? Oh duuuude.

I can just imagine Tilda and Cleese doing the following exchange:
        "My Doom has come upon me!"
        "Oh don't say that, Madam."

LOL. And I can also imagine John Cleese saying "You are a very impertinent little boy." Can't you just hear it?

He would be great. He's kind of a goofy, scientist type (at least he can play that) and to children, he'd at first seem kind of scary. But, put him next to the tall and imposing Tilda Swinton and he would just shrink back.

17. storygirl308 says:

This makes me happy. Another Narnia movie! "The Magician's Nephew" is one of my favorite books. Here's hoping this helps other Narnia movies get made. Plus, maybe more people will be excited and go see it. Same with when they make "The Silver Chair", because they had to wait longer for it.

18. TrueNarnianWithWill says:

I am glad they are continuing… they better make ALL of them.

19. Sturnbull says:

I think this makes sense- I don't think they are going to be able to make all seven, but they may be able to make Magician's Nephew and the Last Battle, which would give the films a beginning, a middle (i.e. the first three films) and then an end with the Last Battle. Let face it the Silver Chair is not the best of the stories and I always felt that the Horse and His Boy doesn't really fit in with the style of the other books, would be difficult to explain to people who hadn't read the books and also has a rather un-PC portrayal of an Arabic-style culture.

• Sturnbull says:

And I prefer the Magicians Nephew to the Silver Chair- if its the last film, I'm glad its this one!!!

• moonwood says:

It is an Indian style culture…very different…

• Sturnbull says:

Obviously it is a made up culture, but much of the imagery of it comes from Turkish influences (they are armed with scimitars, and use the crescent symbol on their money etc) as well as other parts of middle eastern and Asian cultures. I was refering to the fact that the people of Calormen are generally seen as a 'bad' group of people, which could be seen as a rather dated and simplistic concept. However there are many parts of the Narnia novels that have become outdated and we have to read them in the context of the time they were written. They are now quite old!

• Shastafan says:

I agree that I want to see MN and LB, but neither of them make sense without HHB and SC. LB needs SC and HBB to get us familiar with characters such as Jill, and Narnia characters who appear at the end of the book. I will be sad if MN ends up being the last one, but I think that if they have the chance, they need to do the other three books. ๐Ÿ˜€

20. GlimGlum says:

Just glad they are even talking about making another one. Let's hope they do a great job on Magician's Nephew so that we get another one after that. ๐Ÿ™‚

21. yeswelovenarnia says:

Magician's Nephew is the second most sold book??? I am sorry i find that hard to comprehend. Out of all my friends and people I know… maybe one or two like Magician's Nephew the best. Anyway, don't get me wrong, I am SOOOOO HAPPY they are even THINKING about making another one!!! And since they have never made this one before i am SOOOO EXCITED to see how they will do it!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ Though they HAVE to do Aslan's song and the creation right or I will not like the movie at all! That's the BEST part! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Arvan says:

I don't know anyone who likes MN the most. Frankly, the only reason it's so "popular" is because it's listed as the first in the series.

• Anhun says:

Arvan's right. Higher book sales don't automatically mean that it's more beloved. It's possible that a number of the people who bought MN but not the rest of the series bought it first, and were turned off to the books.

• yeswelovenarnia says:

So true!

22. icarus says:

They've been dying to make Magician's Nephew since right after LWW – for them to try and retroactively justify it by implying some sort of correlation between book sales and boxoffice (a correlation which doesn't hold up to even the most basic mathematical scrutiny) is just ridiculous. Even the most casual fan could list you a dozen or so factors that have influenced box-office takings more than book popularity – the only thing you can really say about that is that LWW is the most well known book. Anything else pales into insignificance compared to the complex world of movie industry economics.

• Arvan says:

Hast hit it!

• Seiko says:

You are so right.
      There are several reasons I can think of why Prince Caspian didn't make as much as Lion, Witch, Wardrobe that have nothing to do with the quality of the story:

1. It was released in a very crowded summer, coming out around times with movies like Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Hellboy2, The Dark Knight, etc. Too many at once in the summer.
      2. The $225 mil budget was pushing it. In order to be a "financial sucess" it would've had to hit somewhere around 700mil, which was a big expectancy.

Dawn Threader not hitting 500mil just says to me "too many changes upset the fans" but way more "this movie had terrible advertisting in the USA."

Hopefully Magicians Nephew won't kill the series with too much confusion to general audiences or plugged too close to Hobbit (2?). Silver Chair should be released first.

23. Acorok says:

As long as they make all the films, I'm happy. The only gutting thing is, little chance of the stars we know and love making an appearance in this one (apart from Tilda of course!)

24. DruidDream says:

Another reason is Jadis, because they LOVE to add Jadis everywhere. Is not that I dont like Jadis but that this people think Jadis is the evil one in all the books, which is not true.

• Queen Su says:

That was my thoughts exactly. I would think the average person would be like…seriously the same villain again?! We all know that Jadis is in the MN, LWW, and mentioned in PC, but seriously why did they put her into VotDT?
      To be rather blunt, I don't think MN is going to do well in the Box Office. Everyone I know likes the MN book the least. I think the HBB would have been a better route IF they weren't going to continue with SC (which I think they should). The HBB is almost everyone's favorite and for the people who haven't read the book it is the perfect 'rags to riches' story.
      I just don't understand this discourse with the MN. I am happy that they are thinking about another movie, but if they screw this one up at all (meaning if they don't follow the book) it's going to flop.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

My friends, I believe you terribly underestimate how popular Tilda Swinton's White Witch is with the "average person." The average person who sees these movies LOVES Tilda Swinton. I remember sitting a few seats behind a bunch of younger kids once in the theatre and when Tilda's cameo came on, they said excitedly to each other:

"Ooh, the White Witch. ๐Ÿ˜€ "

I think that is the opinion of the "average person" right there.

Most of the comments I see are

"Oh, this was the only good scene in the movie."

"Why didn't the witch come back?"

"If only the witch came back."

"They cheated me in the second movie."

"Yay, the White Witch."

"They should have done more with her."

and it goes on and on…

A film explaining the origins of the White Witch should be quite popular.
        Especially if the trailers show a very-much alive Tilda Swinton entering London and beating up cops, throwing an iron bar at Aslan's head, and so forth. I believe the reaction would actually be more like:

"The White Witch on Earth?! OMG!!"

Personally, I always thought The White Witch was the central evil of the series.
        Even if she was physically dead, the spirit of evil never truly goes away. We have to be vigilant.

• Just a slight rebuttal, Mayor Wilkins – there appears to be two types of average people: the type you have mentioned, and the type who get confused when the white witch keeps showing up.
        I took a bunch of friends who had not read VDT to the cinemas, and their reaction to the White Witch was:

"Why is she here?"

"I thought she was dead!"

"Not /her/ again!"

"As if!"

etc.

It will, of course, probably get explained in MN that this is /before/ she comes to Narnia (one would hope), but I think that people want to see a fresh, new bad guy such as the LotGK. Just something to think about. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Mayor Wilkins says:

All right. I'll admit that I'm a total Tilda fanatic [face_blush]
        It could be, however, that the producers themselves are afraid to really try new villains because of what happened with PC. A lot (not all) of viewers thought the Telmarines were weak compared to the White Witch, and so it's not hard to see why they used her in VDT. I think they are afraid people will be turned off by a new villain. That's possible. I don't know.

I admit I'm a little obsessed with Tilda and Jadis.
        But don't misunderstand. I do try my hardest to respect opinions on here. But I am passionate about my own views just like a lot of other folks here.

Cheers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• stateofgreen says:

@Ionic Bonding Rocks
        I agree. People were wondering why she was there in VDT.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

People shouldn't really be wondering why.
        The Magician gave them an explanation that works for the film.
        "It can take any form. It can make your darkest dreams come true."
        Done. If they were confused as to why she showed up, they were not paying attention.

Common sense says that Edmund would be traumatized by the evil woman that stabbed him in the stomach with a blunt instrument and left him for dead. He is afraid of her, likely had nightmares about her. The Dark Island knew this.

People saying "I thought she was dead" are just not paying attention.
        She IS dead. But the Dark Island can take ANY form. It took the form of Caspian's dead father too.

And there is such a thing as the immortal soul….

• Well, I don't think it was so much my friends not paying attention as it was that they thought the mist /was/ the witch, just in a freaky green mist form. The whole movie was too fast-paced, and therefore confusing at times (I found Lucy's dream more confusing than Inception… I don't know about anyone else…).
        I guess I should admit that I am utterly sick of the White Witch. Not Tilda, I have nothing against her, but the filmmakers shoving the white witch into the film where she was never mentioned in the book just made me snap, and I really want to see a fresh bad guy in Narnia. However, my friends think so too, as do many critics.
        You said the Telmarines were weak compared to the WW, but the LotGK is just as powerful, just in a different way. Jadis was powerful in a very icy, forceful way, whereas the LotGK was powerful in a very sly, deceitful way, and I think audiences will like that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

25. glumPuddle says:

I always thought making MN was a 100% commercial decision, not an artistic one. But I never expected one of the producers to admit it, haha.

• Arvan says:

And I always thought you were right.

• Pepper Darcy says:

I agree with you, Glumpuddle… I'm so disappointed, and right now. I'm not sure I'm *ever* going to see Silver Chair… *sigh*…

• TumnusTheBrave says:

i was thinking the same thing. But you have to realize that MN is also one of the best books in the series. I think they just want to make whatever one makes them more money but we just have to support them and be happy that there is another movie even being made.

26. Queen C The Gentle says:

27. Michael says:

I'm very happy that they are looking to continue. Magician's Nephew definitely has some great potential. There are some really great scenes in The Magician's Nephew: Aslan's creation song, the white witch on earth, etc…

28. the girl who checks her closet every night says:

Alright folks.
    Here comes my feelings on this situation.
    Watch out.
    1. Related to money, this was a good decision. Everyone feels like Dawn Treader didn't feel as Narniaish as they wanted. Obviously, doing MN will bring back the magic and originality of Narnia. Plus, MN will be the unexpected choice to people who don't stalk narnia like us, and they will be more interested.
    2. Related to actors, this was a bad decision. Will already looks way older, and it wasn't supposed to be that much of a gap between DT and SC. They are going to have to use a lot of makeup, hair, and styling techniques to get him to look young again.

There. I'm done.

29. Shastafan says:

It'll take two years at the minimun for MN to come out? If SC was being done instead, I wonder if that would be the same case as well…

Ok, Walden and Fox, I'm more than willing to see a fourth Narnia film. But promise to try your best to make it a faithful adaption (with small necessary changes that are needed), and one that can bring back the magic of the book itself, not any of the movies… ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Arvan says:

It would take just as long is they did SC.

• stateofgreen says:

If SC were next I think it might be a shorter wait as they probably did some preproduction on it. But maybe they've now trashed the continuation of the green mist and have to start from scratch again? So sad.

• stateofgreen says:

30. Daniel says:

I am sad. SC is my all time favorite book in the series, I have been waiting for it for so long, and I was so excited that they got VODT out, and it was looking good for another one. so now Im quite sad because now who knows when or if they will get to SC. LAME!

31. Snicket says:

What the…???

So Fox admits its because it has to do with MN making the most money, not to keep in the timeline of the films? This is why Fox is the worst in the business, making the worst decisions they possibly could and never thinking ahead, amen to greedy careless Fox and amen to this franchise. See you in 10 years when its all rebooted.

Micheal Flaherty from Walden Media said this.

• Snicket says:

And Fox pays their bills.

The decision was made out of purely financial motives, Fox and Walden clearly don't really care about anything but their own bottom line.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

FOX does NOT make these films. Walden does. FOX distributes and markets the films. With that said, let me ask you something, Snicket. Would you risk your money, your home, with someone who WASN'T concerned about the bottom line? You'd really prefer coughing up your hard-earned money for the CLEARLY less financially viable of two options? Because that's what you're asking the investors in this film series to do. Flaherty has to think about what is best for the PEOPLE he is responsible to, not what an insular, overly-demanding fanbase wants. It never fails to amuse me, how some people are so free to spend the money of others with zero consideration of the larger issues in life. Walden has investors. Walden has employees. The economic spinoff of these films is, literally, global, and affects, to varying degrees, tens of thousands of people. That's why all of these decisions take so long to finalize. NOTHING is done without great consideration of the bigger picture, and this is why they often make decisions that we, as fans, find regrettable. Walden is open to fair criticism for their (many) woeful choices regarding these films. But, to stomp your foot and refer to any studio as "greedy" for making a logical financial decision in an horrific economic climate is silly.

Regardless, some logistical issues aside, I don't really care WHAT order the films are made in. I just want them to be GOOD. Furthermore, if the franchise doesn't rapidly move to restore its domestic audience, there will not BE any more films. THAT is the salient point.

Making 'The Silver Chair' would have been the preferred choice, I am sure, of most of us. It is the braver choice. When you consider all of the variables involved, it is simply not the CORRECT choice.

• Peter says:

I don't really get it: why doesn't the international income count? I mean–> why doesn't it matter if I go one or two times to VOTDT in the Netherlands? And why does it matter if someone in de USA goes one or two times? I really don't undertand. The worldwide income difference is now 10 million dollars. Why doesn't that matter? Because the income should have been higher?

In other words: why are the domestic counts so important, and why do the movie makers lose money on Narnia if the costs seem lesser than the incomes? (see Box office.

• Arvan says:

I'll be directing a reboot in fifteen years if you'd like to join me…

32. The Magician's Nephew will do great at the box office.

• Snicket says:

With PC and VODT preforming below expectations its not looking likely. Its not often (if at all) that a series will pick up steam in the middle after two relative bombs.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

'Prince Caspian' only performed "below expectations" if your expectations were delusional. I do not understand why people STILL perpetuate this MYTH, three years after the fact. It was a financial catastrophe because of its COST. It did NOT(!) underperform.

"Flaherty explained that box office performance for Narnia films appears to mimic the amount of peopleโ€™s interest in the books."

Finally! THANK YOU

• Peter says:

Can;t argue with that because of your name NNC :D.

33. narnianheart says:

I would prefer a differant one. But, The Magician's Nephew will still be really good. ๐Ÿ˜€

34. narnian resident says:

well, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is overall the favorite book, and yet it didnt do as good as LWW or even PC in general. i just cant seem to waver from the opinion that i think Silver Chair will do better, but its not like i can change people's minds….

35. I have to say I am bummed, but I understand. I do love the magicians nephew and it's very epic and cinematic while being both personal and deep. I'll take it over not making any more movies. Seriously though with international box office non of these movies have been a flop.

36. Ailena says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

At least with Silver Chair, if they screwed it up I can point to the BBC version and say "THAT'S how to do Silver Chair." But if this is the only movie canon and they mess it up…

I want this franchise DEAD before they mess up any other Narnia books.

37. Pepper Darcy says:

I'll probably enjoy seeing MN… but man, am I SO disapointed. They chose the PERFECT Eustace… and… what'are they doing to his AGE?! He won't be available by the time they're ready for silver chair.

I'm finally upset with what they're doing… it seems stupid. I just don't get it. WHY switch characters on everyone? Why? :'(

๐Ÿ™ This is just… I don't know. I had wanted to see SC so bad. Other than 'money' the choice makes no sense. I know they have to have it pay to a certain extent. But… I'd far rather see SC than any of the other movies…

• Anhun says:

Other than money? It doesn't make sense financially either. While I enjoyed the book, I'll be the first to admit that the story is bizarre and convoluted. The source is obscure (i.e. limited built-in fanbase), but the imagery will be so expensive to realize, that they'll have to market it to broad audiences if they hope to make their money back.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

Well, see, MN could also make Narnia more sucessful too, if we try to be optimistic, which is so darn HARD because…well, it's just hard! But if it's done right, it might be a very artistic film, and artistic is always something people look for in a movie. It always scores big points in my book when the producers actually took the time to make the film a visual feast for the moviegoers, and not just a big moneymaker for them.

• Anhun says:

Now, I'm not saying that artistry is a negative. I would really love to see artistic integrity in all of the Narnia films. I think if they had that in VDT, the movie would have been much more successful, not a LWW-caliber hit, but better results than what we got. However, a successful Narnia (or any other ultra-expensive) film must also have another key ingredient: accessibility. That is what MN, in film form, would lack. And frankly, I'm kind of expecting Walden to sacrifice artistic integrity as well.

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

you are TOTALLY right, Pepper, Will Poultler was PERFECT for the role, people were excited to see what he would do in SC and then suddenly they got this startling revelation "Oh, well, Magicians Nephew is pretty cool, we'll do that next instead. Oh, wait, what number in the series is it? Oh. The First One? Ah, well, who cares, it'll just totally mess up the order that was applied to Narnia. It's not like we respected that anyways."
      Yes, I am done now. ๐Ÿ™‚
      But I certainly hope Will's gonna get a shot at other things too, and that Narnia wasn't his ONLY chance to become Britan's next major hearthrob ๐Ÿ˜‰

38. Peter says:

Personally I donยดt get it. Why do you have problems with voyage of the dawn treader? It was a very good movie. Things have changed, but they left the core of the story as it was. I only think they messed up Prince Caspian. Voyage of the dawn treader was better. But the box office wasn't.

About MN and SC. Why would people insult Lewis when they chose to make a movie about MN first. It's ridiculous. Over the years 1/2 movies have been made about SC. Only 0 were made about MN. If they chose voor SC now, you can forget MN in the future. And the Narnia-movie project of Walden will flop where the BCC-Narnia project flopped. And we will have nothing new, but special effects and publicity.

39. nic says:

That's a fantastic cover for the book, it's really good. I saw this cover for the first time the other day, like it heaps.

Kinda related to that, Narnia is a very solid brand at that point with the general movie going public, & part of word of mouth success for VoDT could very much have just been that it was playing at the cinema for all we know. I don't think you can separate the right creative decisions & financial decisions when it comes to the Narnia movies, they are not those kind of movies.

That's quite a transcendent fantasy novel cover, the one for MN above, and encapsulate why the MN film adaptation can capture a big audience's interest in understanding the entire Narnia chronicles & franchise.

40. Pattertwigs Pal says:

I am really confused. The quote talking about book sales related to box office seems to be saying that VDT has sold more books than PC and done better at the box office but from the numbers I've been seeing, VDT is still behind PC in box office dollars. Can someone explain?

41. Noogah says:

Well, I would prefer that they make the Silver Chair next, but as long as they do a good job with "The Silver Chair", I'm happy.

Maybe this is a chance for them to get their act together.

Consider this optimistic scenario:

1.Walden Media makes Silver Chair, and, confident in it's financial potential, decides to heed fans, and keep it true to the book.

2.The Silver Chair is released, and does not disappoint financially (nor does it fail to please most Narnia fans. Even GlumPuddle is pleasantly surprised.)

3.Walden Media, pleased with the success, gets started on the next Narnia film, and decides to retain book accuracy.

4.Jumpstarted by "The Silver Chair", moviegoers flock to the next film, and the rest of the series is a financial and critical success, with The Voyage of The Dawn Treader being a fluke downer.

• stateofgreen says:

@Noogah….at this rate your scenario may play out in the next 4 years….it sounds good. If MN can spur them to make an excellent Silver Chair which would then require that they recast Will. :(( I really loved Will…it will be hard to find another actor that matches up to his quality as Eustace.

42. Not Of This World says:

I know why MN is being made next. They're going to recast Eustace in about 70 years and use Ben Barnes again ๐Ÿ˜‰ However I know I would perfor SC, I'm going to trust that these PROFESIONAL MOVIE MAKERS to do their jobs that they know more about then I do.

43. Just Queen, not High Queen says:

I understand the reasoning for wanting to make more Box Office profit, but if they postpone making SC until after MN, the quality of the movie won't be as good and by then, general audiences would have forgotten about VDT! Not very smart in my understanding of the business.

44. Seiko says:

"The Silver Chair" would keep the series going far better than "Magician's Nephew." The later is completly different from the rest of the books, and now jumping around in the middle of a series…it's ridicioulous. No way either will "bomb," but they should just have these two going next. And the longer they take the worst the BoxOffice will be. How long dos it take to write a script based on a book? First end the "Caspian" story and then go onto a prequel.

45. moonwood says:

It would be very interesting if everyone had to write their ages next to their names–it would explain a lot; although there may not be that many surprises…

46. demos says:

I was initially disappointed about the decision to make MN before SC, but if you take a step back and look at the big picture, it actually makes a lot of sense.

MN is a fantastic story and lends itself brilliantly to a faithful movie adaption. Tilda will probably win an Oscar for her portrayal of Jadis. The tight connection as a LWW prequel will bring the average moviegoer back to the franchise in droves.

SC and LB will then probably be made back to back, since they both feature a more mature Eustace. Don't worry about Will Poulter's age – he's going to look the same 2 years from now (when they would have started filming SC) as 5 years from now (when they will be filming the next movie) AND he then stars in LB for continuity OR they recast him and we get the same Eustace in SC and LB (but not VDT).

HHB will then be last, a nice, wistful look back to the Golden Age of Narnia and a fitting conclusion to the whole cinematic version of the Chronicles. As for it not being politically correct – I totally disagree. Just look at the character arc of Aramis! Chances are folks of middle eastern descent will love it most.

Just wait and see!

47. Jake says:

I ok with Magician's Nephew being made next as long as Silver Chair gets made RIGHT after. It'll be a chance to get Tilda Swinton out of the way before she gets an older. However, they should get started on Silver Chair right after Magician's Nephew is finished because Eustace's actor, like the actors for the four Pevensies, isn't going to get any younger! Plus I want to see Jill and Puddleglum on the big screen!^_^

48. M says:

Disapointed, I won't be going sorry, not a fan. Silver Chair should be next.

49. Kate says:

Consider this. I also wanted The Silver Chair to be next, but upon reflection, IF The Magician's Nephew is next to be made, it actually makes perfect sense. Digory Kirke(known as Professor Kirke in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) A younger Digory would need to be re-introduced, as he is also in The Last Battle with Peter, Edmund, Lucy, and Eustace. So make the Magician's Nephew, but make The Silver Chair either during or directly after, followed by The Last Battle.

50. Dr Walrus says:

Why can't The Silver Chair be made at the same time as The Magician's Nephew? It seems like they could do that quite easily since the only actor needed for both movies is Liam Neeson, and he is just providing his voice.
    I would still prefer The Silver Chair being made over The Magician's Nephew, but at least they haven't dropped the franchise. As long as all 7 books are made into movies I will be happy ๐Ÿ˜€

Here is the order in which I think the rest of them should be made (if Magician's Nephew really is being made next):
    The Magician's Nephew
    The Horse and His Boy
    The Silver Chair
    The Last Battle

My reasoning for this ^ is because if SC is made immediately after MN, then after that they will have to introduce more new characters from a chronologically independent book(HHB); then go back to LB, which has familiar SC characters like Eustace and Jill. I see LWW, PC, VDT, SC, and LB as being 5 books that all go right after each other chronologically, because these books all have characters like the Pevensies, Eustace, Jill, and Caspian and his family. The other books, MN and HHB, I see as being more independent as far as characters and chronology go.
    (btw; the Last Battle has to be last, because elements, characters, and countries from all the other books are in it.

If SC were being made next; then I would say that they should just make the movies in publication order.

51. Braden Woodburn says:

I suppose they are just going to do what they want dispite what the fans want which as already been made clear to be The Silver Chair. Don't get me wrong, I love that the talks of continuing with the films is a go, but I seriously was dying over them at doing The Silver Chair instead of another movie that isn't next after Dawn Treader. I think this will mess up Eustaces character because Will Poulter already looks more mature and older than he did when I first seen Dawn Treader.

52. Moonwood says:

Non-negotiable:
    His saying so makes it true? Everyone seems to agree this does not make sense in light of D T.
    Andrew Adamson's PC Stank to high heaven. the only reason it made ANY money, is people wanting to see how bad it could be for themselves after LWW.
    The only thing more irritating than Mosely's winy,prissy attitude, was Barn's fake accent.
    The only thing more irritating than those, is your constant nay-saying, ranting, and petty contradictions…

53. Moonwood says:

Of course that's just MY opinion … : )

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

Moonwood, it gives me great pleasure to know that you read everything I post here. At least SOME portion of your day is devoted to an enlightened perspective.

You're welcome.

• Moonwood says:

Well you know how it is, Nonney, you may know the milk's gone bad, but you just gotta smell it anyway before you throw it in the trash… ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

Actually, if you're convinced it's bad, it's pretty stupid to sniff it.

That explains a great deal.

Regardless, I thank you for the admission that I annoy you. Because, that's definitely going to stop me from doing so in the future! Well played, friend!

• Moonwood says:

Your come-backs are usually much wittier, more 'zing' in them…
        Don't give in to your anger, stay focused.
        Please try again.

• Non-Negotiable Comment says:

You forgot the emoticon at the end of your post that so deftly deflects your lack of anything remotely interesting to say. You invented that clever tactic, right? Punctuating sheer ignorance and painfully illogical demeaning analogies (that sour milk thing is CLASSIC) with a smilie face, I mean. I'm pretty sure no one in the fabled history of the internet has EVER thought of that before! But, don't tell me you're learning to communicate without pictures, Moonwood! Progress at last! Surely logic and reason are bound to appear as two specks on the horizon at any moment now. Far, far on the horizon…

Regardless of the slings and arrows you send my way, I will continue to reach out to you in Christian fellowship, as I will continue to voice my passionate opposition to ranting lunacy, uninformed opinions, and crimes against mathematics. This is my mission. Why it should irritate you, I think is self-explanatory.

• Moonwood says:

Nice ! Well said : ) : ) :0 ; ) :+)

54. Seiko says:

Thoughts on the Magician's Nephew:

*Doing a prequel now and going back to "Silver Chair" can actually work out. If you think of another franchise, the "Underworld" franchise, they went back and did a prequel, and now are doing a sequel. If it can work for it, or say, for the X-Men franchise with sequels and prequels and fans still on board, then it can work for Narnia.
    *Be honest and realize that "Magician's Nephew" will never be word for word. But outside of Aslan singing, nothing in it is hard to visualize or adapt. Nobody would not enjoy Jadis' attempt to conquer London.
    *Some of it should be done in a little more detail. Much about what she does is told but not shown, such as what she does when away from Digory in London, or her actual battle/war with her sister, should be shown. This is where "action" can be intersected. The only other thing I can see making sense on screen would be an actual battle between Jadis and Aslan later in the story, and neither really winning. It would fall into LWW more that way. I love Magician's Nephew; the fact she is just sor tof around and we see nothing done about it is the only little fault I see in the story.
    *But, it will be painfully obvious that The Silver Chair should be first.

55. crass says:

Bad Idea..Eustace already looks like he's eighteen…and Silver Chair would wrap up the trilogy…they need to start over with the films..the problem is nothing happens in the Magician's nephew that couldn't be done in 30 to 45 minutes of screentime..big problem ..thats why Magcians Nephew and Last Battle should be one film..but that will be when I remake them in 10 years.

• demos says:

That's … an interesting perspective …

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Less to do might actually work for Walden this time.
        I imagine the running time will be 112 like VDT was, or perhaps they will cut it down to 100. I would prefer 2 hours though. Longer the better, really. It would be better to add things than to condense them. But if they have less to do, a shorter runtime wouldn't be as much an issue for them.

56. farnia says:

Oh well there was press confirmation for the starting of The Hobbit.

I am guessing that whichever Narnia book they choose to do it will get a press release to confirm their decision and put to rest all the rumours.

My pick is for the Silver Chair.

57. elton says:

i would like that silver chair is the next film

58. Mayor Wilkins says:

The thing about these books is that they are pretty much self-contained stories–pretty much. So technically it shouldn't matter what order they are filmed in. Once you have all the movies, you can put the "Magician's Nephew" DVD in first on your shelf and "Silver Chair" can be placed fourth after VDT. Make your own chronological order of DVDs if you wish. I imagine Fox/Walden will probably do this in a box set anyway.

Time has come to stop begging for "Silver Chair," ladies and gentlemen.
    When you read quotes like:

"We are starting to talk to Fox and talk to the C.S. Lewis estate now about the Magician's Nephew being our next film,"

Be glad they are at least making another movie or thinking very hard about doing so.
    If "Magician's Nephew" is the success they hope for, "Silver Chair" will come eventually. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Moonwood says:

What you have written is a point that nobody I think has made yet, each of these books stand on their own. You do not actually have to read the one before or after to enjoy each one.
      I think the reason we still have people crying and stomping their feet about SC not being made next, can be explained by the fact that if a person is old enough to write, they can comment on this site.
      We can joke, but some of these guys may actually be 8 or 9…LOL

• Anhun says:

Actually, I've made that point about the books being stand-alone a couple of times, usually in defense of my position that Narnia 4 should be HHB.

The people who are against MN as Narnia 4 feel that way for a number of different reasons. You would know that if you weren't too busy building straw men to actually read the comments.

• Moonwood says:

Uh oh, think I just hit a nerve !
        Don't worry anhun, when you grow up, people may take you more seriously ( well, of course that depends LOL )

59. I am so beyond ready for The Magician's Nephew to be made, it's unreal! I love the beauty between it's pages and the truth throughout the tapestry of words!

60. reepicheep's_fangirl says:

Wow…..
    just…wow.
    So it's official….
    I have mixed feelings about all of this, acutally, part of me is just glad Narnia isn't gone for good, and part of me is sad that they're messing up the "order" of Narnia. But I guess now it's all said and done….
    I love MN, but I sure hope moviegoers do. I guess my whole issue with all this is that i won't get to see Will Poultler for another 4 years at this rate. ๐Ÿ™
    Other than that, I'm pretty open to MN as long as they think it will be sucessful and HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS MAKES A GRAND RETURN!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€