Walden Media Hasn’t Dropped Out of Narnia, Still Negotiating

We have been contacted by someone close to the production who claims that Walden Media has pulled out of making any further Narnia movies.

We are trying to confirm this news as quickly as possible. And should this indeed be the case, we have no idea what will become of the series from this point on.

UPDATE: There are a number of conflicting stories about what’s going on. We’re hearing different things from different people, so until things start to settle down we really don’t know anything for sure. What we can say for sure is that the future of the franchise at present is rather murky. Negotiations may or may not be ongoing, or may have ground to a halt for a while. We’re going to just have to wait and see what shakes out. -Tirian

UPDATE 2: I did have a chance to speak with officials from Walden Media today. Walden stated emphatically that they are still pursing another Narnia film and that they are continuing discussions with the C.S. Lewis Estate to make that a reality. At the present time nothing has been confirmed. But there has not yet been a final yes, or a final no. If Walden does another Narnia film, it will almost certainly be The Magician’s Nephew.

I think it is clear that some negotiations are still taking place, though perhaps as I suggested earlier, they are stalled. It is likely that Walden’s option on the film will last for several more years so it could be quite some time before we know for sure one way or the other.

428 Responses

1. Queen Elizabeth says:

"You just have to have faith about these things." !!! I found out if they keep making the movies every couple years or so I could be able to work on the last one! XD

• I can't believe that it's been over a month, and they still haven't brought us any news of how the negotiation process is going with the next narnia movie; this can't be a good sign.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i know,is there still life at narniaweb? have our fearless webmasters flown the coop? r they still alive? are they fugitives? have they fled aslan's country in disgust over the VDT movie? webmasters- please show a sign of life!! even a hello would do!!

2. Reepicheep The Brave says:

Wow! I still thought they were doing silver chair next!

3. Duffleglum says:

Glad they're 'pursing' another idea πŸ˜‰

4. QueenLucy says:

Does anyone here still wonder what the clip was about in the 1st DT trailer with the four pevensies? I know its kind of random but I have to know. πŸ™‚

• Reepicheep775 says:

It was a scene shot exclusively for the trailer. The reason being the Pevensies are fan favourites and they wanted to trick audiences into thinking Peter and Susan would be in the movie more than they actually are.

• TheReepicheep1 says:

A lot like what they did with the witch's role in the movie. The first couple trailers made it look a lot like she had a signifacant villianious role in the movie.

5. doorintheair says:

i think that all three of the narnia films have been FANTASTIC! as much as i want to see will poulter in the SC i understand the logic in going with MN. i think by doing MN we have better chances to see them both made. I believe if they bring their A game, then MN could be just a big, if not bigger than LWW. i think having Tilda back with a major role, and with the potential of the creation scene, MN could be epic.

• Child of Aslan says:

Agreed! I just hope everything get worked out smoothly and there's no more setbacks like this…=/

6. I think that the Narnia films are great! Although, I think that the first one is still the best. Voyage just didn't wasn't good enough for me. The Green Mist made it seem different from the book and they are adding the witch in the movies too much! I'm glad their doing the Magicians Nephew next though. I think that it could bring some viewers back! Just make sure the script is good, the soundtrack is a fresh sound and that the trailers will bring the audiences attention! The Magicians Nephew should be fun because its a Prequel too! (Im prayin it succeeds)

• daren says:

I actually disagree with this as I thought the third film was the best attempt so far. Although I liked the first two, I didnt think that they managed to capture the magic of narnia as much as say the earlier BBC versions did. With VOFDT, although they changed the story at bit more, I found that it was a lot more magical and captured the essence of what the narnia stories are about. I do hope though if the do, do the Magicians Nephew they dont use Tilda as I hated her as the White Witch.

7. John says:

I was very disappointed with the last two movies and I think audiences have been showing less support, I know I have. They need to make them true to the books. Both Prince Caspian and Voyage were cute little movies but they were changed so much that really don't deserve to bear their titles.

8. I think they should still do Silver Chair next to keep the order going. If they do MN people who haven't read the books will just be confused.

9. D.T. says:

oh gosh!! they better not stop making them!!!
    i love the movies but i think it would be better if they
    did the silver chair insted of MN because the actors will get older

10. UselessScrubb says:

They could pull a Peter Jackson and make both SC and MN back to back or at the same time and possibly save a little bit of money.. I know each film being made depends on the success of the previous but that would solve the aging issue of Will Poulter and again help cut some costs. I am more anxious to see MN myself but do not like the idea of Eustace being 20+ for the movie.

Then the "Expirement House" will become the "Expirement College" πŸ™‚

• Narnian Meerkat says:

Don't really like the idea of MN and SC being back to back (by that do you mean together?), but I DO like the idea of Peter Jackson being the director!!!! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ He is SUCH a GOOD director!!! He brought The Lord of the Rings to LIFE!!! And he actually STICKS to the original storyline and books and meaning to them! πŸ™‚ πŸ˜€ ALL FINGERS AND TOES UP FOR PETER JACKSON!!!! Sorry, I just really like Peter Jackson and his films. πŸ˜‰

• I love georgie says:

Personally i think they should do HHB And either SC or MN! :$ i think HHb with get higher then all of them!
        πŸ™‚

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

Heck, when he's done with 'The Hobbit' he should just step in and reboot the whole thing.

• Puddleglum says:

I have been arguing for both films being made together for some time now. Perhaps we Narnians need to be a little more outspoken on the subject.

• I love georgie says:

I would like them both made at the same time TWO!!! But they are doubtfull about making one let alone two at the same time! πŸ™ but it would be epic! if they could!!! xD PLEASE MAKE THEM BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!!:P

• Puddleglum says:

Way I see it. If the Lord of the Rings could all be made at the same time, why not Narnia?
        Granted, there finantial reasons to be considered, but all the three movies have made money, have they not?

• I love georgie says:

Yeah Why dont they Just Use the Money From VDT and make them Both Then they Would have the Profit of two Movies at the end they would both be out at the same time or thereabouts and could use it to make either HHB or LB because the money wud be really high and then walden media and all them would have the confidenceto make it..i reck it goes something like this…
        -Money From VDT goes to
        -SC because MN has special funding them both being made
        -then use the money from them to make
        -HHB
        -LB
        not as simple as that but there's an Idea ?

Like your plan ILG

• Anhun says:

@Puddleglum: No they haven't. Prince Caspian was a serious money-loser. A representative from Walden said, in December 2010, 2.5 years after PC came out, with home discs and TV licensing in the mix, they STILL hadn't made their money back on PC.

In the case of VDT, I haven't heard anything official. We have it on good authority that VDT cost roughly $255 million. How much the studios made out of the ticket sales and other revenue sources is an industry secret. My guesstimate is that they've passed the 200 mill mark, but they haven't made back all of their money yet. It still didn't lose as much as PC, not nearly.

• Not Of This World says:

But Anhun, if the buget was $250 million and they made $415 million off of it, wouldn't that be a higher gross?

• Anhun says:

The gross is higher than the budget, yes. But studios only get a cut of the gross, not the whole thing. How much of a cut? That depends on a number of factors, the more the movie makes it's first week or so, the larger the studio's share. For "slow burner" movies like VDT, the studio can take home less than half of the gross. I made some rough calculations, based on how much studios generally make off of box office in different times and places. Based on that, I would guess that they took home roughly $180 million from the film's theatrical run. That's just an estimate, though. We can't know for sure.

• Not Of This World says:

But who pays for the budget? Is it the producers or the studio? I've always have thought the producers pay for it.

• Anhun says:

the producers are usually part of the studio.

• Not Of This World says:

So why don't the people who give the most money get the most money? Filmmaking sometimes just doesn't make sence.

11. farsight-mssngr says:

They started Narnia films epic! Don't stop believing that Narnia can be back to box-office films and if they will make Narnia 4 really relevant from the book, it can be one of the most top grossing films of all time. Narnia is a film were you can know Jesus better. "That's the reason why Narnia bought to life! That by knowing God's love for us we can know it better by this these films!
    Further up and Further In! Time to bring Narnia back to life!

12. narniafan16 says:

TOTALY sucks totally

13. Thee Narnian Meerkat says:

Hm. :/ Well, not so happy about them making MN, I prefer SC, though I'm happy that they are still discussing on making another Narnia movie. But…REALLY? "SEVERAL" MORE *YEARS*????? THAT'S just nuts…Man, I'm beginning to *really* see that Narnia is NOT that popular and that is VERY hard on trying to making them into film……poor Narnia…..:(

• Moonwood says:

Narnia is VERY popular, it's the movies they keep messing up, buy not being close enough to the books

• Anhun says:

Simply not true. World wide, LWW has sold more than twice as many copies as the rest of the books in the series combined. If I remember correctly, there was an interview with Mark Johnson where he remarked on how different it was working on LWW, where everyone knew the story as a beloved classic, versus PC, where a lot of the people involved in production had never read the book and were asking what it was about.

14. Queen C The Gentle says:

After watching the scene about Lucy wanting to be beautiful like her sister, I mean for the first time I was ashamed of her and I never thought that would happen b/c nothing is wrong with her she is already beautiful always was just like Susan. What really matters is on the inside and not running from who you are ('Don't run from who you are'-didn't Simba's father from Lion King say that?)
    Then I thought about writing a love story about 2 very different people from 2 different worlds like for example, Caspian was from Narnia and Susan was from Earth that's what I mean by 2 different worlds, but how do you write a love story? Maybe add a little Beastly(book+film) what about adventure and the characters execpt the main girl I know how to describe her. I want the world the main guy is from to be a world of magic like Narnia.

15. I love georgie says:

They have to make more NARNIA!!! They should make HHB and MN Or SC I personally think..the first one was AMAZING the second one was GREAT the third was AWESOME i have no favourite and i just seem to think that HHB will have a better reaction!…bbut i also think that the reason LWW set such high exspectations was because everyone was so familliar with it And Almost everyone had read it! So thats why they think there dropping the standard and stopping the movies cos they think there getting bad! when its just that everyones not so familiar with the others?? πŸ™‚

16. Jessica hankinson says:

No!!!!!!!!!!They have to make another movie,i live on Narnia I watch the movies every night before bed,im reading the last battle now,and i love all the Narnia books and movies,if they stop making Narnia movies i am gonna have my dad drive over to Walden Media and demand more Narnia,and if they say no i am gonna sit in the building untill they say yes!!Thats how much i love Narnia!!! πŸ™‚ <3

17. I love georgie says:

I Dont Care who Directs The film I dont care how long it takes I dont care who the actors are Or which movie they do..But They need to make more narnia!!!! If they Dont We Should Start A humuges Protest like Jess H Suggested And Go to Walden Media and Demand the movie be made!!!!… πŸ˜€

• Child of Aslan says:

Amen! Count me in!!! (Even though I most likely wouldn't be able to make my way to walden by myself, but I would be there in spirit!!) =D

18. BM says:

ATTN: NARNIA FANS. including me. Don't stop making these films because the last Harry Potter film will be over this year so guess who will be able to take on the audiences now? NARNIA will and there are still many books to be completed and many people to reach with the good Christian message of Jesus.

19. Seiko says:

True with Harry Potter done there will be less to distract from Narnia. Granted, their will be two Hobbit films, in December 2012 and 2013. What they could even do is work on both films, and ultimately film them when they get to it and release them both 1) December 2014 and 2) December 2015. So we'll have to wait 3 1/2 years but then just 1 year. 4 1/2 years with 5 narnia's in total.

Let's face it; they need a new strategy. Doing one every so many years isn't particulary proving to be a sucessful venture. Competition is troublesome, namely in US markets with Harry taking it down. Why can't go see two entirely different fantasy franchises?

Another idea is to not release "The Silver Chair" around December, perhaps earlier, maybe in August, or the start of November (the latter would give it a month before Hobbit 1-2). And then christmas comes around and it rakes in a little more cash.
    This kind of talk versus those fighting for Magician's Nephew, age issues, money, etc, can be why nothing is working out. Then again, it's been over six months. Time to stop being babies and do something. Take action.

• Anhun says:

If Narnia comes out in early November, it will be forgotten by Christmas. Look at HP7. It was a popular movie by any standard, but it had no holiday bump. Luckily for Warner bros., people will show up in hoards to see HP no matter when it comes out. That's not the case for Narnia. The Narnia movies need the holiday bump.

• I love georgie says:

But Diddn't VDT come out in December ?

• Anhun says:

Yes, and VDT had a holiday bump. Without that it probably would have fallen off the grid completely after a week or so, and would have been a financial catastrophe, as opposed to a smaller loss.

• Not Of This World says:

I'll wait untill 1214 for the next Narnia. It wasn't very sucessful last time when PC came out durring the summer. And it would be crazy to go up against the Hobbit. Plus I don't think Lewis would want that, since Tolken was his friend. The only problem with that would be Will Poulter and his age. In that case I think they should film SC now and not realease it till after MN or which ever the Narnia people decide to do first.

20. Chronicle says:

Come on Fox you're giving Percy Jackson a sequel surely you can give Narnia one as well.

21. Not Of This World says:

I can wait till 2014 for the next one. I don't think it would be smart to go up against the Hobbit. Plus I don't think that is what C.S. Lewis would want, considering that Tolken was his friend.

22. Seiko says:

Two Things:
    If they are making a sequel to Percy Jackson, which made roughly 233 mil on 75 mil budget, or Prince Of Persia, which made 335mil on 150 mil budget, than certainly Narnia3 which made 415mil on a 155 mil budget is far more of a winner than these two.

• Cyclops says:

One thing you need to take into account is not only the production budget, but also the marketing budget. I would expect that Percy Jackson had the least marketing budget, with PoP and VDT about the same (100 million). The numbers point to Prince of Persia being a much larger flop financially than the Voyage of the Dawn Treader was (especially considering how large it was originally expected to be).

23. No news in SO LONG. I'm afraid the franchise really is about to end.

24. I love georgie says:

Owell who cares if you dont make a big profit!!! πŸ™‚ do it for the fans And for C.S Lewis!! so what if you spend a bit of money on it ITSWELL WORTH IT !! if i Had millions of dollars i would happily spend all of it on Narnia!!!

• Bookwyrm says:

While profit not being a factor would be lovely, Walden kind of needs a movie to make a profit since every movie they've made since LWW has either been a flop or underperformed. No profit=no money to pay the bills. We don't live in some sort of communist utopia.

25. Queen C The Gentle says:

Happy Birthday Georgie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Savber100 says:

The sheer amount of spam and misspelling on these comment sections really makes you go "O_o".

Anyways, I really hope they end it here. Bluntly put, the Narnian films are not good anymore. The first was decent but the franchise went downhill since. Call me pessimistic but the numbers do NOT lie.

But the good news is that if the contract expires with Walden it gives other talented people a chance to reboot or finish the series.

If we're going to make Narnia, we need the best because I will have nothing less for Narnia. I simply have enough of these mediocre adaptations from uninspired filmmakers and I'm willing to end this series to start again.

• I love georgie says:

Maybe if walden Media drop Out A better one will come in And Re Gain Narnia!! πŸ™‚ and NARNIA WILL BE SAVED!!!
      P.S HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGIE!!!!

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

While I actually love all 3 of the movies so far, I completely agree with you on everything else. The sticky situations with Walden have gone on long enough and they've been dragging the entire franchise down (especially because of the huge time gaps in between movies). I'm very attached to what was done well in the films, but given the overall picture of things, I'm beginning to become convinced that the best thing now would be a total reboot…WITHOUT Walden. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of producers out there who'd be willing to take on the project. I just hope there's some big-name person out there who'd want to work on it – sometimes a name can draw in a LOT more viewers (e.g. people going to see the upcoming 'Don't Be Afraid of the Dark' just because Guillermo del Toro produced it). It's too bad Jackson is busy with 'The Hobbit' – he's the only person I can think of that I'd really trust with the material.

Anyway, if they go for another sequel still, by the time it's made, it'll have been almost a decade since Adamson's LWW and it would probably make more sense to reboot than to continue dragging out the current series. I'm glad the films so far finished, for the most part, the Pevensie story, and I feel if they end it here it will be fine. The Narnia films just need a fresh start, away from Walden's tendency to screw up things (sorry, they've REALLY been getting on my nerves lately).

27. Musgrave says:

Does anyone know if there is a soundtrack for the focus on the family radio theater narnia productions?

28. farsight-mssngr says:

Happy 16th Birthday Georgie Henley! -sorry late greetings!
    Wishing you all the best! I Love You Queen Lucy The Valiant!
    God Bless you and your family always!

• Not Of This World says:

Do you mean the real Georgie Henly? She's 16? Seems like she would be older.

• farsight-mssngr says:

In what part do you mean? Yes she's 16 and she is so beautiful in movies and even in real life and she is very kind-hearted that's why I Love her very much!-but I love all the cast of Narnia films!

• Not Of This World says:

You seem like you're a girl.

• Not Of This World says:

I ment if it was the real Georgie Henly because I sometimes see people on here who have nicknames that have to do with Georgie Henly. I didn't know if you were talking about the or the real one.

• farsight-mssngr says:

Just wondering that why don't you get my point? And what do you mean Im a girl? just asking though sory if I said something wrong
        thanks anyway πŸ™‚

• Not Of This World says:

Your point was "Happy B-Day Georgie!". And when girls are talking about their favorite stars they usually sound like that. All I'm saying.

29. Queen C The Gentle says:

I love how Narnia's all about adventure, courage, and such but what about the romance it would have been interesting to add more romance…if it were to be a love story but still take place in Narnia what would it be called?

30. Not Of This World says:

300th comment!!! πŸ™‚ Not 1st, but the 300th comment! πŸ˜‰

31. Queen_Emily says:

At one point you start to get quite annoyed, because they tell you something really important and then they stop giving you ant more news for ages.

32. GuardianofAslan'sCountry says:

They need to make another Narnia movie. I've been hooked on Narnia since the First Movie and I have read all of the books. The movies are really good despite the problems at the box office. I hope they do the rest of books. MN and LB would be EPIC. More of Aslan in both. πŸ™‚ Sadly, if they do another Narnia movie it will be over shadowed by Twilight's last movie which is ending this year just like HP. I think that the Narnia movies have been deeply overshadowed by those franchise. I hope they make the last 4 movies of Narnia or else MN, SC, and LB. H&HB just bored me but interested me about Archenland and Calormen.
    Anyhow the fate of the Narnia franchise is in the hands of Walden Media and Fox. We just have to take whatever they decide, unforunately.

• Anhun says:

I'm not sure why you talk about Twilight overshadowing Narnia. No Narnia film has ever gone head to head with a Twilight film.

As for HP, LWW faced off against HP4 and did very well. Potter was nowhere to be seen when PC came out. In the case of VDT, yes HP7 was still out in theaters when VDT came out, but, in America at least, it was winding down, and it fell off the grid by VDT's second week. I don't think HP was a key ingredient in VDT's weak box office.

• GuardianofAslan'sCountry says:

I am just saying that Harry Potter and Twilight have been the biggest franchises that has overshadowed the Narnia movies. They draw in more fans then Narnia. This is what I was trying to say. Once Harry Potter is out of the picture..Narnia will still have to go up with the last two Twilight films…but maybe Narnia would do better if it was played more on TV…cause all I see on TV is HP and I am sick of it. Once in awhile PC is played but that's it. Hopefully with HP going away Narnia will do well in the box office.

• Princess Lucy says:

I agree GuardianofAslan'sCountry: having twilight and HP being grossed well will make people expect darkness in every other movie franchise made!….lol i am also soooo sick of seeing the HP trailers on tv everywhere!!!!!!

33. farsight-mssngr says:

Hey. it's already half year before the year ends. any NARNIA 4 movie updates? Cant wait for next NARNIA film
    is there any trailer released?

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

Um, what are you talking about? A trailer? There isn't even another Narnia 4 being filmed right now, and we're not even sure that there will be another Narnia film at this point.

• farsight-mssngr says:

YES since youre right
        I knowthere are no trailer for the fourth film
        BUT ITS SURE THAT THERE WILL BE FOURTH NARNIA FILM
        BUT they are still talkig about whats next either MN OR SC
        they are still negotiating about it to save NARNIA FRANCHISE

or

That's pretty much all we've got for now, ha ha. I thought the shots they used for MN, sparse as they were, worked pretty well. SC, not so much. "Jill to Terebithia" looked a little too modern, and as for "Lady of the Green Stardust" . . . hm, I don't recall the part of SC where LGK takes her clothes off.

34. Harry Potter was like Indiana Jones with younger actors, a copy–at least in the way the movies were made. If Walden did bow out and let someone else take over, I fear Mr. Greshem won't be going along, or else they won't respect his input as much. I think he should dig in his heels and stick to his guns to keep making Narnia.

I loved all 3 movies so far, changes and all. As much as I'd like to see Magician's Nephew in cinematic form, it seems more logical that Silver Chair should follow, since Eustace is still the right age to be believable. Delay his second appearance, and he might appear too old for the part. Plus, Swinton would have a major part in both.

Another thing that concerns me: Horse and His Boy and Last Battle both deal with the quasi-Arabic Calormenes. How can they show these without creating a stir among Muslim nationals? Also, my first exposure to HHB disappointed me at first, until I understood its messages; I'm sure those who don't know the entire series would feel lackluster about it as well. But at least the next 2 should be made before negotiations stop.

~ VT

• Anhun says:

I think HHB would make a great stand-alone story. Did you read it first in the series, and then found you enjoyed it better after reading the other books? That would surprise me.
      For my part, I liked it the best of the books when I read it as a child.

35. Anhun says:

I've heard a number of comments in various forum threads and news articles about how Will P is young enough to pass for book Eustace now, but he won't be in a few years. I would like to put the discussion in clearer terms.

1.What is the acceptable age range for movie Eustace in SC, so that he can be portrayed the way he's written in the book?

2. How young can they make Will P look right now?

3. How young can they make him look, a few years down the road?

• stateofgreen says:

1. 15-17 yrs of age with modifications to the bullying type
      2. 15….anything younger would be foolish!
      3. I don't think we have crystal balls about that. It's now or never. Unless they do Last Battle first and recast a younger lookalike for SC πŸ˜€

• Anhun says:

1. 12-14, and 14's pushing it: I put 12 as the lower limit, because Will P passed for 12 in VDT. Even if they recast, it would be weird if the character de-aged. As for using 14 as an extreme upper limit, Eustace is decidedly pre-adolescent in SC. It's most noticeable in his interactions with Jill. There's a certain "boys rule and girls drool" strain in their relationship (at the beginning anyway) that wouldn't make sense if they were teenagers, even if there was no romantic tension. If they have a teenaged Eustace and Jill, they will have to change the relationship to make it more teenaged.

2. 15+

3. No difference: I think Will P should be able to play a mid-teen if they film any time in the next 6 or 7 years. 20-somethings play teens all the time.

36. midnightmoon says:

Nooo!!! We need more Narnia movies!! I love how Harry Potter can get 8 or 9 Movies and our wonderful Narnia only gets 3. Are you kiddin' me? I thought we were gonna at least get to see The Silver Chair. King Caspian was gonna be like 100 years old in that movie, do you know how much makeup and CGI it would take to make Ben Barnes look old.That would have been hilarious. Oh well, maybe it'll get made, but who knows at this point.

37. IceKat says:

I'd love to see the Magicians Nephew being made. The Silver Chair was done when the older series was made and it was a decent adaptation (with Dr Who star Tom Baker as Puddleglum). The Magicians Nephew is a fabulous book that would work well on screen and I'd definitely go and see it.
    Personally I'd love to see them do them all but I doubt they'll ever do The Horse and His Boy unfortunately. Perhaps if we pester them they will do all of them…after all all 7 Harry Potter were done…why not Narnia????

38. BILLY says:

i cant wait till the next movie comes out, but i wish it would be the silver chair!! i mean, eustace will be so much older and so different by the time they make the silver chair (if they even do make it…) if they make the magician's nephew first. narnia needs to get more fans!! its great!! it could totally become more popular than harry potter if they just keep up the movies!!! πŸ™‚

39. Emilyn Writer says:

I really want them to just make their decision and make the movie! Wow, this reminds me of Treebeard and the trees in the Lord of the Rings the Two Towers making the decisions and taking….. a…. long…. time….. to…. say…
    I know, I know. "Don't be hasty, master Pippin."

40. Lucia says:

I think they should stop comparing Narnia with HarryPotter,it's quite different u know.
    In my country of course HarryP is much more popular than Narnia,but I LOVE NARNIA than any other films!!!
    Well,yes I am crazy about The Chronicles πŸ™‚

41. Zach says:

I think you should this discussion and get back to making movies before the other fans start complaining and sending bad commits and cus words to this website. Of Course I won't be doing that sort of thing because I am not like that but there will people who will be so beware.

• Zach says:

I think you should Stop this discussion and get back to making movies before the other fans start complaining and sending bad commits and cus words to this website. Of Course I won’t be doing that sort of thing because I am not like that but there will people who will be so beware. sorry I goofed the first time.

42. Not Of This World says:

Ahh there's nothing like Narnian politics πŸ™‚

43. Seiko says:

It is very true Narnia and Harry Potter have almost nothing in common; they are set up in entirely diferent ways, entirely seperate plots and looks. Their only real similarity is the "use" of a train to travel and basically that there seems to be a god and a devil character:

Narnia: Aslan and White Witch/Green Witch
    Harry Potter: Harry and Voldemort

That's about it. Anyone else imagine a romance between Jadis the white witch and Voldemort, and a friendly relationship between Dumbledoore and Aslan?

• Seiko says:

Or perhaps Jadis would rather hang out with Snape, or Lucious Malfoy. Imagine the crossover potentional-but I shouldn't be giving anyone the idea of this. I'll be a worse distraction out of the Magician's Nephew versus Silver Chair battle brawl.

In one corner we have Eustace and Jill following the four signs to save Prince Rilian and escape the underground kingdom of The Lady Of THe Green Kirtle, and in another, the creation of Narnia with Digory Kirke and others discovering other worlds and accidently releasing Jadis onto the newly created land of Narnia.

Oh, and giants in one, and Jadis conquering London in another.

44. farsight-mssngr says:

Harry Potter now ends. and it's a fantasy-series film. We want NARNIA for it is also fantasy-series film.
    They must start to film the next movie and start casting. It's up to them for what is next (The Silver chair or The agician's Nephew), But they should make sure that it will surely succeed with a big box-office and make NARNIA 5 in the big-screen! Can't wait to see NARNIA 4 in the big-screen!

• farsight-mssngr says:

I'M going to miss HARRY POTTER so much!
      NARNIA!!! save the fantasy-series movie franchise!!

• Lucia says:

And you know,Narnia is not only fantasy,but there's Aslan himself!
      Like Puddleglum says,that's why I don't forget narnia…:)

45. I love georgie says:

Iv'e Never Seen The harry potter Movies, Are they AnyGood ????

• Lucia says:

I think they r not bad πŸ˜‰
      (but I watched Stone,chamber,and Order only…)

I liked the 1st πŸ™‚

• Bookwyrm says:

They're decent, but if you haven't read the books, you'll probably be somewhat confused by them.

• Anhun says:

I can speak to this. My little sister dragged me to the first two movies before I had read any of the books. I had no trouble making sense of the stories, but I thought those movies were deathly dull.

• Bookwyrm says:

Yeah, the first two are not very good at all.

• GodsGirl says:

I REALLY REALLY Hope they do another movie!! And with HarryPotter (Which I Love VERY VERY much<3)finished i think people are trying to find another way to keep their lifes magical! HP tought me a lot and im one of its biggest fans. But people need to move on even if its REALLY difficult! And i think Narnia is the best way to do it since it has the same amount of adventure, magic, fun and a great message! All HP fans are looking for a new saga to replace HP with! And The Narnia books are already AWESOME they just need to spice up the Narnia movies more, for Narnia to become "The Next HP" And with all the money they will obtain with that they'll be able to make the movies of the whole seven Books!! πŸ˜€

• I love georgie says:

I think they Should make Narnia more exciting and magical in the movies , Because i Think thats why alot of people like harry potter better then narnia, πŸ™‚ like the effects and the music and they could maybe make the scenes more intense πŸ™‚

• DaughterofAslan'scountry says:

The Harry Potter films visually are pretty lacking. It was the first fantasy saga where I watched the movie, and my imagination was bigger. With Narnia and LOTR, I read the books, then watched the movies and found the there was so much more things and detail than I imagined. The latter films visually are still pretty good.
      The only thing with Harry Potter is that it's a very different world than Narnia and darker. The first two stories are pretty upbeat and nice, but the middle of the series just gets dark and there's quite a bit of stuff going on that's not so good. The last book is actually very good, going in a better direction than the previous books. Same with the movies. They made half blood prince not so dark as the book, so that's also a good one. The stories also get more and more mature as they progress, so the only movies that young kids can watch are the first two. That's what I think.

46. Jewel says:

I do correspond personally with Douglas Gresham (C.S. Lewis' stepson if anyone here doesn't already know). Walden has in fact dropped out, sorry to say. They found the most recent films not sufficiently profitable. The movie rights therefore revert to him, but per contract, no one other than Walden can release the films for 7 years, which means that he plans to start working on them again in 5 years. He did not say so, but "logically" Walden could of course renew an offer to make future films at a sooner release date than 7 years. I am nothing other than a C.S. Lewis fan (no relation to the estate or film industry), but everyone has my totally unofficial permission to besiege Walden with requests to continue making the films. Here's hoping they change their minds.

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

If they have officially dropped out, don't you think they would have contacted NW by now? I don't think we can trust such news just by one comment. We need actual evidence this is true. Sad if so, but it could be beneficial in a few ways.

• I love georgie says:

Wait, I'm so Confused Whats Happening ??? Did they drop Out ???? And will And when will the movies Be made ??? πŸ˜€

• Not Of This World says:

I would like to see your proof.

• Jewel says:

A wise point of view, one that I would share in your place. I could quote his email verbatim on the subject, but that would hardly constitute proof to someone who doubts what I said earlier. There is absolutely no way that I will post Douglas Gresham's email address. I would guess that those who run this site have his email address though. He's back from vacation now, so I'm surprised that they haven't received confirmation from him on the subject, but perhaps they are waiting on Walden's official confirmation as well. They may not be ready to openly announce a decision, I only know they gave him one. Another reason for fans to urge Walden media to continue the films in my opinion.

• Not Of This World says:

I don't know wether or not to believe you (which Im sure you will understand). But I hope you're wrong! I want more Narnia!!!

• Not Of This World says:

So are you family or a friend or how do you know with Douglas Gresham?

• Jewel says:

No, as I said I'm only a C.S. Lewis fan. I haven't many talents, but I'm a very peristent researcher. So I found a very roundabout way to contact Douglas Gresham. Like his stepfather, he kindly and generously replies to his mail, with astonishing promptness I might add. He is everything that you might hope for from a man raised by C.S. Lewis; a perfect gentleman, very witty and a marvelous sense of humor. For those interested, he wrote a book about his childhood with C.S. Lewis & Joy Gresham Lewis. It's called Lenten Lands.

• Not Of This World says:

Douglas Gresham does seem like a nice guy, but I don't know anyone who would let a stranger into their inbox. I'm having a very hard time believeing you. Plus if this is true, you should contact Narnia Web and tell them. Just posting comments won't do you much good. I think you should leave it to Narnia Web (Read my comment down there).

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

@Jewel Please just let NW take care of what is happening. Sorry to sound like a grouch, but we can't completely trust what you are saying just from a comment. NW is a very big Narnia news site that is up to date and very accurate. Contact will be made to NW if something like this is to happen. It could just be a misunderstanding. Please let NW take care of this.

• Birch Girl says:

I don't want to sound like a grouch either Louloudi, but NW seems to encourage people to post anything they have heard. See the About NarniaWeb page. They mention "spies" all over the world. They even have a whole forum for Rumors. I don't see Jewel claiming an official role, basicially says this is what I heard, believe or don't, up to you. So what is your problem here? All we are getting from NW right now is "we may not know for a long time". No dates attached to their updates either. I don't like Jewel's news, but it's my business whether I believe it or not and I like to have a choice. I'm sure you mean well, but it's a just comment section and we all know that. Relax and let people have their say.

• Not Of This World says:

I'm not trying to sound like a grouch either, but if you have news you are supossed to report it to the "Contact Us" button on the top right. And the rumors fourm page is for rumors and the comments on stories are not for rumors. I have to agree with Louloudi. Leave it to NW.

• Birch Girl says:

I might agree with you except for one thing: the whole story belongs in the Rumor forum anyway. NW chose to post rumors from people not named inside Walden Media as real news. They can't confirm it. Then they leave us all hanging. Seems silly to get uptight and act like NW is so responsible and everyone else should be so careful about how they report things after that. Unofficial censorship just bothers me. NW is the one who posted in the wrong place. Not trying to be harsh with anyone tho.

• I love georgie says:

I think we should all just mind our own buisnesses ?, someone wrote a comment that may or may not be true it doesnt matter, I mean how can we be absulotely sure what NW says is True ? I think we should all let people have there say, even if you dissagree with it , so I agree with Brich girl we have to relax, this is a fan site remember ! we shud be encoraging people to write comments, And once again im not trying to sound like a grouch ;D hahahaa πŸ˜€

• Not Of This World says:

LOL I Love Georgie. Alright I'll stop.

• I love georgie says:

Sorry,
        Do you think My comment sounded mean ??? πŸ˜€
        Diddnt mean to be.. πŸ™‚

• Not Of This World says:

Oh no! I didn't think that at all!

I had put a "." When I ment to put a " πŸ™‚ " . Sorry, I was tired πŸ™‚

• Bookwyrm says:

Birch Girl, I'm not entirely certain how you meant for your comments to come across, so advance apologies if I've mistaken your intent. I'll be blunt, I'm rather irritated that you're apparently painting this as NarniaWeb randomly posting any internet rumor that drifts by as fact. That isn't how it works. We would never post a news item of this nature without it coming from a trustworthy source(i.e. not a random fanboy/girl playing Gossip Girl with the spy reports button). In this case, a very trustworthy person involved in the Narnia franchise passed on a report to a member of the forum. I happen to know who this person is and there was no reason to doubt their information. Unfortunately it seems there was some miscommunication between the Estate and Walden, which lead to this report. At no time did NarniaWeb claim it was undisputed fact and the very first iteration of the news story stated that we were attempting to get confirmation from Walden. When Walden replied to Tirian that it was not accurate, the story was promptly updated to reflect that information. It's fine if you're not happy with the current status quo, but don't try to paint this as NWeb acting like a supermarket tabloid.

• Not Of This World says:

Bookwyrm, are you on NW staff? That's awesome. That seems like the best job ever πŸ™‚

• Birch Girl says:

Sorry Bookwyrm, it was a bad way to say things. I do believe the NW had a real contact that they could trust and I do understand why they don’t name that contact. That said, it’s still only half a story and no one will openly go on record yet (that’s why I meant it should have gone in the Rumor forum – I really do NOT think of NW as tabloid!). I also meant to say that Jewel at least openly named a source and only claims to confirm what NW’s trusted contact already said, from a different side. Everyone can decide for themselves whether or not to believe Jewel is really in contact with DG. It would just be sad to drive fans away from the site or make them afraid to post. What if Jewel did have real news, we may have lost a valuable contact by not saying things like β€œWow, that’s interesting, please contact Tirian right away so he can check on this for us.” We should start by being more encouraging, no matter what we believe. Sometimes we all just do things the wrong way, like me. I’m frustrated at the lack of complete news from NW, I think they should have waited until they had a full official story or posted it in the Rumor forum but I never meant to make them sound like a tabloid. Sorry again! I never mean to offend anyone when I post, just state an opinion and I'll try to follow my own advice and say things nicer in future.

• Barnesfan#5 says:

What do you mean by "Full story"? Did you expect a greenlight or something? What can be more full than that? Nw has somebody importent they are talking to from Walden. I think they have reported everything they can to us.

• Bookwyrm says:

Yep, I'm one of the moderators that runs GMD. It's fun most of the time, but right now there's not much to do sense the movie has been out on DVD for awhile and there's no news to discuss.

@Birch Girl: No worries. πŸ™‚

• Non-negotiable Comment says:

"The movie rights therefore revert to him"

Everyone can form their own opinions regarding this individual's credibility, of course. Jewel may be the completely authentic harbinger of doom here. I have no idea, and I don't wish to point any fingers. With that said, the film rights certainly do NOT "revert" to Douglas Gresham if Walden fails to exercise their options on future films. That is patently false. David and Douglas Gresham (unwisely) sold their stake in the C.S. Lewis Estate in the 1970s. They don't own anything to have "reverted" back to them. So… I'm just going to wait for an official announcement, if you don't mind, and I would recommend that everyone else does so, too. As I've said before, Phillip Anschutz is, ultimately, the driving force behind these films. If there is a way for Walden to continue, he and his team will find it. If not… well, we all move on.

In the meanwhile, never, ever underestimate a motivated billionaire.

• farsight-mssngr says:

But they are not yet finished in their negotiations. So, we still don't know if there will be any Narnia 4 and what will it be. But Walden's top-grossing films are the Narnia series. They should only make Narnia more reliable in our time now but still bringing it's true essence. Can't even wait to see Narnia in the big-screen again. We shouldn't loose hope for Narnia-nearing to end-. The battle isn't finished. It's only the beginning!

• Clodsley Mole says:

Mr Non-Negotiable, if you have done your homework fully you will know how the C.S.Lewis company is made up, and where the rights revert to. Mr Gresham is an important part of the company.
        It's also worth repeating the comment made elsewhere that Walden is a big organisation and the people who make the public comments (eg reactions on other websites) may not be fully informed.

• Non-negotiable Comment says:

Mr. Mole:

The C.S. Lewis Estate is overseen by an attorney in Geneva and an accountant in Ireland. They represent, and report to, two private trusts. Mr. Gresham is a paid employee. I have NO IDEA how "important" he is. I have my opinion as to that matter, but it is just mine. I am loathe to discuss the gentleman in any more than a peripheral fashion here, as criticism of him (even of a legitimate nature) is NOT met well AT ALL. Regardless, I am certainly not trying to diminish his "status". If you say his position carries considerable weight, then that's just fantastic. I don't care, really. It has no bearing on what I stated. The salient point is, he is an EMPLOYEE who, decades ago, sold off his interest in the estate, including anything to do with the film rights. To say that the rights "revert to him" upon refusal of option, is beyond ludicrous, and indicative that the information presented by the poster in question is either woefully lost in translation from the source, or simply a bunch of nonsense. Either way, it's either partially, or completely, inaccurate, and I want everyone to know that before they start panicking. As I clearly stated, it is quite possible that Walden have, indeed, dropped out. Logic, however, suggests that there is no way I would use this poster's statements as proof of that.

If you have any further information to share, please do. If you wish to correct me, then by all means proceed with something more substantive. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong. My pride is not a factor here. I just want everyone to hang on to some hope. I'll believe Walden are out when I see an official statement from them. Not a second before, and certainly not as a result of a very dubious online comment.

• coracle says:

Jewel, I would love to discuss this information with you. I can't find you on the forums, but if you are there with a different name, will you please send me a private message (PM)? If not, could you email me at coracle@narniaweb.com ? Thank you – this is a genuine request.
      – Coracle (NarniaWeb mod)

• Jewel says:

Coracle, I emailed you the other day, but haven't heard back yet. If you didn't get the message I sent, just reply here to let me know that and I'll resend it. If you've just been busy, I do understand that you have other committments. Thanks again.

47. Sam says:

Any new official news?

48. WishIWerePolly says:

WE NEED NEW NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, no that my freak out is over I can calm down and act like a normal human being.

49. VinΓ­ccios says:

I Need Silver Chair ou Magician Nephew's News =(

50. sammy says:

there must be some news soon, it's driving me mad not knowing whether there is going to be another narnia film, which obviously i hope there is going to be

51. There's gotta be something new, or is this how it all ends!?

52. Tom M says:

For anyone who wants the VDT soundtrack and has yet to get it, HMV (online) is currently selling it for only Β£2.99. And Amazon (UK) too. Probably one of the three best things about the film is the music.

53. GuardianofAslan'sCountry says:

i just read somewhere that they had negotiated, but it will be a few years until we see a movie because they have to find a writer for the script.

"The producers of the Chronicles of Narnia films (UK Chronicles of Narnia films) have confirmed their intention to go ahead with a 4th Narnia Movie. Michael Flaherty, president of Walden Media, told The Christian Post that talks had begun on the next Narnia film but, as yet, the script has not been written. It might be a couple of years before we see." – Squidoo.com

so it looks like that there will be one. although it's a few years off. From the article it seems they are shooting for MN since it was the second highest successful book in the Narnia series. I could be wrong about this…just thought I should past on some and hopefully good news about this.

sources:

54. farsight-mssngr says:

Oh. They're still inbig negotiation for Narnia 4. They should be starting to cast and film the movie. Most likely, we are going to see Narnia 4 in the big-screen by 2012 or 2013. They should make Narnia 4 more relevant from the book, and they must show the real message and essence of the book itself.

55. farsight-mssngr says:

Oh. They're still inbig negotiation for Narnia 4. They should be starting to cast and film the movie. Most likely, we are going to see Narnia 4 in the big-screen by 2012 or 2013. They should make Narnia 4 more relevant from the book, and they must show the real message and true essence of the book itself.

56. Seiko says:

If this whole thing goes on much longer, it is going to be 2014. But it really should be done by Winter 2013.

Does anyone else notice that fantasy is just a problematic genre on the big screen? What fantasy franchise besides Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter has actually made it past one installment, let alone 2-3 or more?
    Besides Never-Ending Story?
    C'mon, even "In The Name Of The King" (a underrated fantasy film) is getting a sequel called "Two Worlds." Both are based on Dungeon Siege in case anyone wonders.

• Matt Taylor says:

Erm, Narnia's made it past one installment?

• Bookwyrm says:

Pirates of the Caribbean could probably qualify as a fantasy series, considering the Big Bad in each movie is supernatural. It's at 4 movies now and a 5th is in the works.

57. jay says:

i hope thay do another movie its so enoying i havent
    been on this site in over two months and its pritty much
    the same news if thay plan on doing another movie thay
    shood do it when thar is stiil interest and now that
    thay just pout out the last harry potter movie
    thay shood pout out one of the narnia movies
    since harry potter was good thay shood try to make
    the narnia movies realy good

58. Alambil and Tarvis says:

Honestly if they had just decided to do SC instead of randomly going for MN first, none of this probably would have happened -_-

By the time they get thru the negotiations it'll probably be better to reboot instead of trying to make Will Poulter look younger.

• Anhun says:

How do you figure they wouldn't be in negotiations over SC? It sounds to me like poor DVD sales have made them cautious about the whole idea of making another Narnia film. It's hard enough to get concerns about fidelity and quality nailed down, without adding serious economic constraints to the mix.

59. Barnesfan#5 says:

::aslan:: -trying to see if little aslan face shows up like on Aslan's Country

60. DaughterofAslan'scountry says:

what i dont understand is they said they want to make magicians nephew next because the sales of the movies mirror the sales of the books. Maybe that's because they have made the movies in the same order the books came out! Please tell I'm not the only one that's seen this.
    If they make the magicians nephew next they will disrupt this order. The movie magicians nephew might not do as well as the book, and the silver chair movie also might not do well.
    Also, won't they be running into some problems casting wise? If the do magician's nephew next, Eustace will be to old. Also, in the last battle, Jill and Eustace are 17 or 18. If they do magician's nephew next, they will only have one more movie after silver chair before last battle. They will either have to take forever after silver chair, which is a really bad idea, or the people they cast as eustace and jill will be not the right age.
    how come I can figure this out but the head people at Walden and fox can't?

• Anhun says:

If I understand you correctly (which I might not) you feel that the book sales are a function of the original publishing order. So, that means Magician's Nephew is the second best selling because it's 4th in the original chronology. Could you explain your formula?

• Anhun says:

sorry, I meant 6th in the original chronology.

• DaughterofAslan'scountry says:

What I mean is that the movie sales are a result of the order their being released in, not the book sales. We do know that the sales success of the movies is pretty much the same as the sales success as the books, and the thing they're doing with the movies that's the same as the books is the order they come out in.

• Anhun says:

Well, if you're right, given that the fourth Narnia book had significantly worse sales than the 3rd, then the 4th Narnia movie is going to do significantly worse than VDT. In effect, you're saying that Narnia 4 is going to be a failure no matter what they do, so they better not make any more movies.