Original Narnia Screenwriters Have Warning for “The Silver Chair”

Posted April 24, 2018 1:14 pm by daughter of the king

According to a recent interview with IndieWire the writers of the first three Chronicles of Narnia movies, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, like the idea of The Silver Chair movie, but not the idea of turning it into another franchise.

“They’re gonna be in trouble if they, like other people, have felt like, ‘We can turn this into a great big fantasy franchise,’ because the books are all different, and not each one is gonna give you that same movie,” Markus said.

Markus does have ideas for how to adapt the remaining books in the series though.

“You can make a thoughtful movie from each one and it would be great if the people were prepared to do that.”

Markus and McFeely wrote the script for Joe Johnston’s Captain America: The First Avenger. Their next movie, Avengers: Infinity War, hits theaters April 27.

David Magee is currently the only screenwriter on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair. (Exclusive interview)

Thanks to Bartek for alerting us!

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

Yes! Narnia does not have to be a bombastic blockbuster event of the summer to please. It’s the heart and soul that counts the most.

• narnia fan 7 says:

They have a point. Trying to take the last four books and make them into conventional "big" franchise probably isn’t going to work. That ship sailed after Dawn Treader (no pun intended.)

If they just focus on adaptating each book into the best film they can and embrace the fact that each story is diff I think it could work. Hopefully that’s what they do.

• Col. Klink says:

I like that the books aren’t written like a franchise. But I suppose I can’t expect producers to agree with that. 🙁

• Throne Warden says:

True! I don’t know that Narnia was ever big franchise material. It’s not like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter where it is one huge story. It’s not like the Marvel Universe where each of the movies is connected. Each of the books is very different in tone, feel, plot structure, and characters. Only Narnia and Aslan tie them together. Trying to bend the books to fit into a big franchise marvel-esque mold will only compromise the integrity of Lewis’ work and weaken the movies.

• Melissa says:

This makes me worried. On the contrary, yes, they are one big story. They are *the story of Narnia* from its beginning to its end. The people in it – Narnia – have their entrances and exits, say their lines and leave the stage, but there IS a unifying oneness. His name is Aslan. The kids aren’t the story, just the eyepiece. He is the Marvel of Narnia. Even Marvel’s Thor films don’t have the same tone, and it works. Thor drops into Doctor Strange’s world (which has a completely *different* tone) and it works. Black Panther and Cap coalesce despite their different tones and it works. Infinity War features ten years worth of characters from different tonal backgrounds unified under one all-encompassing cause and IT WORKS. These guys should know since they wrote them. This feels more like an excuse than an actual reason to dismiss Narnia as a potential franchise. Just hire someone who understands them, please!

• JFG says:

I understand your view. Honestly, I’m not a fan of Marvel, I like Iron Man, Black Panther and other stand alone superhero stories, but I strongly dislike the dependency on previous movies to enjoy the new ones. Narnia is s bit like this, but not much more. Each story is self contained, and told as if the reader might be new to the world of Narnia like the new main characters in each book. Sounds repeditive, but C.S.Lewis never intended Narnia as a big-audience franchise and a more modest series of movies would be truer to the books. I know many don’t care about that, but The Lord of the Rings and Marvel did not grow intensely popular by being the big books on the shelf. Maybe, just a little bit ;). They are remembered because they did their own thing. I just hope The Silver Chair is a good movie and a worthy adaptation of the book.

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

I see what you mean, but I always thought of Narnia being more if a short history/summary of the world than a continuing story (albeit much more interesting than most history books out there). For example, if we were to make a very short summary of U.S. history, we’d probably have the Pilgrims, the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WW II, and perhaps the Cold War/Space Race. Obviously they have some continuity with each other but each time period is distinctly its own. For Narnia you have creation, deliverance, Golden Age, Second deliverance, Silver age, and the End (or at least that’s how I’ve pictured it) whereas Marvel has Phases 1,2,3; each taking place at roughly the same time (exception being Captain America: The First Avenger) both work, they’re just different. (and either way I’m excited for Silver Chair and Infinity Wars)

• Lord Argoz says:

Why would the people in control of the SC film even decide on a big series and announce it at this point. Why not just make a great Silver Chair movie and then see how it goes. It could still be a great series if the films are well received, but if not, they won’t have this franchise promise hanging around their necks.
    Do they make that decision now in order to be able to ‘set things up’ as they make the film. What would need to be set up that isn’t set up automatically by a faithful adaption?

• Daniel Ritchie says:

Hollywood typically shoots movies back to back to save money, and also since you are dealing with children, you have to shoot them fast because they grow up so quickly.

• Fireberry says:

“The most cinematic of the remaining books.” … Really??

• Anfinwen says:

Great article! It’s good to know Narnia is being discussed in the filmmaking circles.

• CelticLaura says:

Their comments kind of strike me the wrong way, considering it was their scriptwriting that sunk Prince Caspian and VODT and kept the Narnia franchise from continuing. They sure didn’t take their own advice in their frantic push for the next blockbuster and severe overthinking that mutilated the innocence and character of those two beloved books. I really, really feel the ball was dropped bigtime with those two movies in a way that did not happen with Harry Potter and other book-to-movie franchises. Sure hoping Gresham is more protective and Magee more respectful of the rest of the books.

• Fireberry says:

^ Well Said.

• Bob Hume says:

Not true at all. They are excellent screenwriters. It was the STUDIO’s fault VODT failed. They were forced to work under their supervision. In fact, their comments probably come from their experience working with Fox.

• ChristianMan17 says:

It’s also Director, Michael Apted’s fault, he said that every movie has to have a villain. And I’m sure he learned his lesson from What he did to VDT.

• Jack Mundo says:

It wasn’t their fault.

• Lindalou says:

They may have made some mistakes in the script, but I still love Prince Caspian and the Voyage. They should have made The Horse and His Boy before Prince Caspian because Susan, Edmund and Lucy are in it when they are grown ups in Narnia and haven’t yet gone back through the wardrobe. In Prince Caspian, Cair Paravel has been destroyed, so they would have to make a Horse and His Boy a flashback. It’s a great story.

• Reepicheep775 says:

Bring on the thoughtful movies.

• JFG says:

It’s cool to hear the original screenwriters take this stance – probably because they’ve been through the ‘franchise’ ringer trying to bring the first 3 books to the screen as a ‘big fantasy series’. Maybe they realized that Narnia works best as a smaller-audience series of interconnected stories.

I don’t know how a mass audience would respond to another ‘Narnia’ franchise – probably with disinterest. The first 3 films are now old enough to now be part of their collective consciousness, so rebooting the series might feel like “That’s not right” to them, if they care.
    A smaller audience would be interested, I think, to see what stylistic and tonal direction a rebooted sequel/prequel Narnia franchise could take. Example: Like Planet of the Apes and Mad Max – but for families! I wonder…

But I’m glad David Maggee is just focusing on The Silver Chair before any potential prequels/sequels. He seems to genuinely love the books, and I hope the director does too.
    I hope Joe Johnston makes a movie that will interest audiences in the future of the franchise, without completely scrapping continuity with the previous trilogy.
    Example: Keep the 1940s setting, keep the British characters British, and bring in Andrew Garfield as Caspian! He’s Spanish in bachground!

• Lindalou says:

Ben Barnes was a fabulous Caspian. Andrew is a great actor but there is no need to replace Ben.

• Just Queen, not High Queen says:

I will say that sort of makes sense. The remaining books aren’t in chronological order which would have always created a challenge. I also think that Disney marketed Prince Caspian a little too much as a big summer blockbuster aimed at teenagers. In some ways it was a blockbuster, but it shouldn’t have been released right before such a big movie as Indiana Jones 4.
    Still thinks there needs to be some continuity between all the films. Sequels can feel different and still maintain continuity. After all, most of the MCU films feel different, yet they are all clearly set in the same universe.
    I agree with them in this case, but I still think a complete reboot is a very dumb idea.

• Col. Klink says:

I’m not sure if you should ask the C.S. Lewis estate not to make the new movies a total reboot. The producers and director probably have more power as far as that goes.

• ChristianMan17 says:

If you have a Twitter account, you can contact David Magee there and get real answers two.

• Kai says:

Is peter in this move?

• Lindalou says:

Remember, Peter and Susan don’t return to Narnia after Prince Caspian, unless they decide to do a flashback.

• Skilletdude says:

I also don’t really know how to take this. They have a point about keeping things simple, but these words are coming from the old Narnia screenwriters, after all.

The writing quality was never more than just serviceable in all three films, and it got worse as the series went on. It’s almost as if Markus and McFeely went out of their way to avoid direct quotes from the books and instead tried to modernize the dialogue. Maybe they were ordered to do so, and it’s understandable that some things have to be changed, but the end results were not very good and often quite jarring. Their current work in comic book adaptations seems like a much better fit for them.

The moment I learned Magee was involved, I felt more confident. ‘Life of Pi’ was a well crafted film and had powerful character moments and intelligent dialogue. So did ‘Finding Neverland’. I think ‘The Silver Chair’ is in better hands here.

• Chris says:

I think the problem with the trilogy was a mix of Walden, Fox, and Disney. They wanted it to be a big blockbuster, especially Disney, who was on a high from Pirates of the Caribbean (which also got worse with each film).

The writers are a great team and their other movies outside of Narnia were really solid. So, I think there’s definitely some stuff there that suggests they were pushed to do things that they may have personally felt against.

It’s also worth noting that most books don’t do well when they’re adapted for film, word for word. It’s sometimes better to "tell the story" than just re-write the book. Not only does it provide a new twist for people that read the story, but it gives newcomers a reason to pick up the book. If it were the same word for word, scene for scene, there’d be no purpose for someone to watch the movie, then read the book. Looking at sales records, you can see the Walden movies got people reading the books again, and I think that’s a great thing. Hopefully the next film will push people to do the same thing (read the book). I mean, there’s a whole new generation of kids now that may not have read the books or seen the Walden movies. Hopefully they’ll do an amazing job with this movie and get kids interested again.

• Larry W. says:

The BBC Narnia was successful in that it preserved large parts of the dialogue from the book. It had a low budget, but it was a much better book adaptation than any of the new movies. People who criticize the old television series often forget or are not aware of its faithfulness to the original stories. I think all three of the new films should followed the BBC Narnia’s example in preserving the original stories as much as possible. That could have been done with much greater accuracy just as well for a large screen production as for a television series.

• Glumpuddle says:

I don’t consider BBC a faithful adaptation.

For example, in the book, the dinner with the Beavers is riveting. I get so drawn into learning about Aslan is, and the anticipation for the children fulfilling the prophecy… and then the shock when Edmund disappears! Even now when re-reading for the 10th time, the scene gets me emotionally involved.

In the BBC version of this scene, I have a hard time staying awake.

There’s a lot more to good adaptation than just saying the same words.

• Col. Klink says:

FWIW, Chris, just because movie adaptations influence more people to read the books doesn’t mean they make more fans. Some people probably picked up the books and thought "huh, the movies were much better." (Of course, those people probably weren’t going to enjoy the books in any case. But without the movies they wouldn’t have wasted their time.)

FWIW, Larry W, while I don’t hate the BBC miniseries or anything, I really don’t feel any need to re-watch them. The stories and dialogue from the book are great. But the props, the costumes and the cast are OK at best. There’s nothing I get from them that the books and my own imagination can’t improve on.

The only one of the BBC adaptations that I prefer to the Walden version is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. And even in that case, the relatively few things that I really, really liked in the movie (Eustace’s complaining, the magician’s book, Lucy saying goodbye to Aslan) were better than their counterparts in the miniseries.

• Larry W. says:

Most of the scenes of the BBC Narnia are straight from the book. Even if they could have been done better with certain scenes, some essential ones are missing from the new movies. What about when the children hear the name of Aslan for the first time? Their reaction is completely missing from the movie, but it is very well done in the BBC production. Also, the character of Edmund (including his nastiness and treachery) is more faithful to the original story. The new movie did not emphasize that important part of his character or his redemption from the White Witch. Aslan has a much stronger role as the redeemer of Edmund in the BBC series, which is a very important part of the books. I think that makes it a very good adaptation even if some of the presentation isn’t perfect. The only thing that is closer to Lewis’ books is the Focus on the Family radio dramas. You even receive more of the plots and dialogue. That isn’t a movie, but it is a good example for film makers to follow in story adaptation.

• Col. Klink says:

Um I’m not sure if you’re replying to me or Glumpuddle, Larry W, but I did say that I consider the stuff in the BBC miniseries that is from the book to be great. (I also said I prefer their version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader to the Walden Media’s.) I just give to credit to C.S. Lewis for those things, not the BBC writers. None of their original dialogue stuck out to me as particularly good.

Also, FWIW, the scene in the miniseries where the kids react to Aslan’s name doesn’t do much for me. If I weren’t familiar with the book, I’d wonder why the scene stopped for a random montage of people’s faces. (This is why C.S. Lewis wrote the story as a book not a movie script. ;))

On the other hand, I find Aslan’s role in the movie to be more touching than in the miniseries. The scene where the other kids watch from afar as Aslan and Edmund talk feels really like the book to me. And I find the bit where the witch asks "Did you think that by all this you could save the human traitor?" and the girls gasp to be haunting.

I’m glad we both enjoy the Radio Theatre Narnia dramas.

• Jason H says:

Hello, so glad this was discussed. I’ve been concerned with the idea of a complete reboot. Imagine Little House on the Prairie, Rocky, or Harry Potter changing all of the characters. Not just one. AND the music. I’d personally like unity throughout the series. Give us some characters that we can breathe a sigh of relief with, that we can say, "ok we’re all back in Narnia. " Whenever possible let Harry Gregson-Williams original Narnia music play, but especially if the Pevensie kids return. Give us something to get excited about!

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

I absolutely agree Narnia had/has great music! However, the epic main theme might not fit with a long trek through the marshes. Just my opinion.

• Larry W. says:

I have always loved the BBC’s soundtrack music by Geoffrey Burgon. I think it really worked well with the trek through the marshes in The Silver Chair. The music may be the most memorable part of the series. The movies’ soundtracks are also good, although they may be a bit too modern for old fashioned fairy tales, which are considered the genre of Narnia. The songs are quite listenable and I enjoyed them. However, I think Geoffrey Burgon’s music is the best ever composed for Narnia and perfectly suits the stories.

• Larry W. says:

I wonder why people who say they don’t like the BBC Narnia series often don’t even mention Geoffrey Burgon’s music. They must have heard at least some of it while watching the episodes. Why disregard one of the best parts of the series?

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

I must confess I haven’t watched any of the BBC adaptations other than few clips (i.e. Aslan’s resurrection). I know saying the effects are bad is a poor excuse, but I found it hard to watch my favorite characters wander the stage like mascot costumes. I will look into the music for fun sometime

• lushka says:

Only thing I thought is that Eustace is in the Silver chair… but the dude who played him in the dawn treader is grown up… would’ve been nice to make the film earlier while he was still a child… now they’ll have to find someone who looks like him, maybe? If not it can be confusing for kids, like, they’re going to be wondering why he looks different, because I use to think the same thing when movies with the same character suddenly changed on the next film, when I was a kid. But, I’m still a Narnia fan and I was 10 when The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe was released. Sorry but with how slow these movies are being made… I’d probably be in my 40’s! once the last battle finally comes. lol

• JFG says:

It will confuse kids regardless, I’m afraid.

• Hermitess of Narnia says:

Even if they find someone who looks like Will Poulter, he probably won’t act the same way. I don’t think they can really get around the problem easily, but if you read SC without having read any of the other books, it would still make sense, because it is from Jill’s perspective and she is new to Narnia. It might be refreshing to have a movie serial that doesn’t require the average person to binge-watch or research prior movies before going to the theater.

• JFG says:

Casting 16-year-old Will Poulter as 9-year-old Eustace in "The Dawn Treader" kind of shot the series in the foot. Poulter was wonderful, but he WAS already way too old to play a schoolboy. So, if the filmmakers want to reboot the "Chronicles" with "The Silver Chair" (as they’ve been saying), it WILL confuse kids – and adults too, to recast the character. I don’t think it’s a dumb idea (albeit risky), because almost NONE of the original crew from the first 3 films are involved in Tristar’s "Silver Chair" movie. But it will make it harder for kids to want to see "The Silver Chair" in the first place. The filmmakers need to get kids and adults to care for the Chronicles again – otherwise, I WILL in my 40’s by the time "The Last Battle" is released.

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

Wait Eustace was 9 in the book?! I thought he was about Edmund’s age, who (I thought) would be 11-12 maybe 13 by then? If that case I think I’m okay if they age them up a little… I’ve always found it strange when there are 10 year olds going toe to toe in a sword fight with middle aged knights XD

• Hermitess of Narnia says:

But that’s part of the magic of Narnia, that children are powerful too. It’s unlikely in our world that teenagers would be able to beat middle-aged knights either, we’ve just come to accept it in movies.

• ChristianMan17 says:

Okay, this Reboot idea has been the Most Rumored about this movie, and most people r thinking that they’re gonna pretend that the other movies never happened. But starting over with ‘The Silver Chair’ doesn’t make sense.
    All I want is answers that makes sense, I just want them to Say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’, don’t just Randomly ‘Oh, this is a Brand New Trilogy’ u know. I’m sure Joe Johnston forgot one book.
    I know he said he doesn’t want the movie to be like the first three movies nor Referenced and I think the reason why is because he wants to avoid copyright since Walden owns the first 3 movies and they don’t have the rights to the series anymore. I just wanted them to pretend that the seven swords and the stupid green mist never happened!
    But there r still a couple hints that Sc is still a sequel to VDT, Joe Johnston said in an interview that it’s the fourth film in the series and Tristar president, Hannah Minghella was interviewed and said the world is not read for a remake of LWW, The Silver Chair is the perfect movie to rejoin the franchise, now rejoin means reconnect, pick up where you left off. And plus David Magee tweeted on twitter that the plan is simply to continue the remaining books into movies.
    I’m also open to the idea of them giving the a Narnia logo a different color and I do believe that Harpercollins owns it because it’s on the books.
    (Please NO RUDE REPLIES, that’s what happens every time I give suggestions for this movie and I’ve had enough as it is)

• JFG says:

These are all great points of yours.

I do agree with you that we should have a solid “Yes” or “No” statement to the question “Is the Silver Chair a reboot?”. I’m putting my money on the filmmakers eventually saying “No” even though their plan has many facets of a reboot (New cast; new crew; new characters; new storiy, etc.).

If TriStar and Joe Johnston want to bring The Silver Chair to life in an attempt to continue / complete the Chronicles (and not just another fantasy franchise), their is hope that the “reboot” rumblings will work, and get audiences interested in the stories again.

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

I agree, I doubt this will be a full, solid reboot. That being said, I think (not sure if this is the best comparison) they will have soft-reboot like Spiderman Homecoming was.
        (Possible mild spoilers ahead)
        In it, Peter Parker already gained his superpowers and a pre-murdered uncle Ben a few months earlier. The movie never had to address the backstory because the previous movies established the main characters and "with great powers" theme. In Narnia’s case, although pretty much all actors will be new (just like Homecoming) we won’t need flashbacks or exposition when they allude to events in Caspian or Voyage.

• ChristianMan17 says:

A soft Reboot would make more sense.
        I compare the Narnia series to The Swan Princess series. It originally had three movies, each had different studios and their ratings are close. If not identical, the Narnia series.
        Sp1- pretty good.
        Sp2- some people didn’t like it, others thought it was okay.
        Sp3- not so great at all.
        And then fourteen years later, Sony brought the Franchise back, that’s what they’re doing with Narnia, but with new animation and new voice actors, The Silver Chair will have a new feel and new cast, but still had the same Director and writer, Narnia will have the same co-Producer, Douglas Gresham.
        And when they did the fith movie, they did not exactly tell what happened in the first movie, nor used the same footage from it, The Silver Chair won’t be like the first three movies, they will not use the same storyline from the Walden movies.
        But to tell you the truth, the Recent Swan Princess movies r awful, and if you haven’t seen them, don’t watch them. Especially the fourth one. It was so tortured for and everyone else.

• ChristianMan17 says:

Swan princess 4 is a reboot of the series but it’s still a continuation, it doesn’t contradict the original movies but it is a fresh start. So I still don’t think Sc will contradict the Walden movies, and I Don’t believe it will be a different cannon.

• Christopher says:

I’m afraid that "trilogy" reference means that first will come The Silver Chair, and then after the DVD is released, they’ll pull a Harry Potter/Breaking Dawn/Mockingjay and split The Last Battle into 2 parts: Next, we’ll get "THE LAST BATTLE – PART 1", which will end on a cliffhanger, then about 7-10 months later, we’ll get "THE LAST BATTLE – PART 2". I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if this happened…..

• Kat says:

I don’t mind them making the last battle into 2 parts (or just a 4 hour movie) if it means that we get details from the book translated on screen. As long as they do it it in an authentic way/split/pause to the book and right moment in the film. Although this series is not some drama action series that was made to be portrayed in that sort of format.

• HPofNARNIA says:

Someone else said that when they heard the word “Trilogy” he thinks that maybe after they make SC, they’ll do MN and LB and maybe make HHB a Spin-off.

• AslanNarnia says:

I really don’t know what they (the writers) are talking about. Everyone knows the further four stories are separate and different from each other but must all ultimately fall under the heading of the Chronicles of Narnia films. Why would you want to make "that same movie" over and over again. Narnia was never the same after Andrew Adamson left as director and screenwriter in my honest opinion.

• Kat says:

Ya, idk why they would even think that they would try to make it into a series, I don’t think they were planning to.

• Cleander says:

Figuring out the order in which future films would be made is going to be a nightmare.

• Farsightings says:

Why do they (writers) suddenly care?
    I guess messing up big time makes them feel qualified to dish out advice…

Here’s my take: Narnia is not a big fantasy franchise (in the Hollywood sense of the word). But the movies shouldn’t be considered stand alone any more than the books are.

The Chronicles of Narnia are the chronicles of Narnia. (Original, I know). They are the retellings of what happened in Narnia over time. The individual stories (books) are unique and complete. They are very interconnected, but not in the way we would think. It may take seven reads to start connecting the dots. C.S. Lewis was a lot smarter than we give him credit for. There are layers upon layers of interwoven links. If anyone understands this, I would expect Douglas does…. It’s more mystery, than mindless action/adventure. Good for current writers to know.

• Hermitess of Narnia says:

I find this a little bit interesting. I think the viewpoint of the former screenwriters is very formulated as to what creates a blockbuster movie, but they do seem to have learned some things I don’t think were really realized when they were writing the scripts. Jadis just isn’t as powerful when she’s not destroying other worlds or turning everything to ice, so including having her return as a villainess after she’s been defeated doesn’t carry the same danger.

Personally, I don’t think The Chronicles of Narnia is going to win with the biggest battles or the most special effects, the 2005 LWW got lucky with it’s timing in that the CG effects were so much better than things seen even a few years previous and the general culture was a little more open to stories that have Christian elements (at least in the U.S.)

I do not see how the HHB and SC can’t be very good movies as the storylines in these books are very linear and the characters have well-developed emotions and grow in the stories. Those books don’t have the fame of LWW, and the likelihood of them becoming blockbusters is slim, but so is everything else that Hollywood makes. There are very few movies that are blockbusters.

It might be a mistake investing the same budget into the movies as say was spent on the 2008 PC, simply because if they can’t make a profit there won’t be any more Narnia movies. I just want the movie to look real, be consistent with the messages of the SC, and be immersive enough so that I can fool myself into thinking I’m a kid again and have wandered into Narnia.

• Kat says:

Do you think we will ever see all the movies made and leading up to a film of the last battle, hopefully with the original people that portrayed the characters in their film. I get that their doing a total “reboot” but doesn’t mean in the future you can’t use the actors from before. I’d be pretty upset if everyone was new, almost like it wouldn’t hold as much emotional depth for us, or at least me. Imaging if they swapped out Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grant, Emma Watson, or Tom Felton? Unless your not a HP fan, you can’t tell me you would like if they were portrayed by another in other films…? (Sorry, I’m passionate about this stuff…)

• HPofNARNIA says:

I would love to see see MN as a movie, I think it would look good on the Big Screen. Idk how they’ll make LB into a movie, it’s very dark and too scary for kids to see. I know if I see it, I’m gonna have nightmares for a while.
      This Reboot idea has been annoying me and everyone is thinking that they’re gonna pretend that the other movies never happened, which doesn’t make any sense, and when Joe Johnston says it’s gonna be a ‘Brand New Trilogy’, it doesn’t make sense either, I just want some straight answers, like what do they mean by ‘reboot and ‘Trilogy’ what do they mean by that? Because I don’t like people just throw random stuff that doesn’t make sense and just all of a sudden, it’s there! I need to know what they mean by that!
      I’m a Harry Potter Fan, and I woul be disappointed if they recast the main characters halfway through, I obviously wouldn’t want to c the rest of the series with them, I would be very disappointed if someone else was gonna play Luna Lovegood because Evanna Lynch was perfect for the role and no one else could play Luna other than her. I know they had to recast Dumbledore, which I know Richard Harris passed away after COS.

• JFGII says:

In his own words, director Joe Johnston wants an all-new cast and wants The Silver Chair to stand apart from the previous Narnia films. He’s got good excuses: Aslan, Trumpkin, Caspian and Eustace Scrubb are the only major returning characters from the first 3 stories. Aslan is voiced only, Trumpkin and Caspian are now VERY old, and Eustace’s actor was being recast anyway. So “it’s like starting an all new thing” for Narnia.

That’s just for THIS movie. Johnston is retiring after only directing The Silver Chair film, so the next 3 films can do what they want. Like bringing back certain actors & actresses from the first trilogy.

I’’d say the Pevensie actors should return in the movies The Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle (accompanied by actors playing them as kids) while Tilda Swinton should return as Jadis for The Magician’s Nephew. That would Bridge the gap between Tristar’s Narnia film(s) and Walden Media’s, as well as thrill the audience.

• HPofNARNIA says:

Yes, I get that, he doesn’t want it to be like the other movies, but it’s also because he wants to avoid copyright since Walden Media owns the first three movies and they don’t have the rights to the franchise anymore.
        Im with u on the original casts members. I was hoping that if they ever make HHB, I would like the actors who played the adult pevensies to come back and Tilda Swinton did say that if they ever make ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ she would like to return. I’m a bit worried that the new actors they’ll cast for Sc might not look exactly like the original actors they’ve used, I really want them to find someone who looks like a younger version of Will Poulter.

• JFGII says:

I’m with you, about recasting actors who look similar – it helps to have familiarity & continuity – yet I think capturing the essence of the book characters is more important;

Richard Harris & Michael Gambon were only similar because they were older actors, but they both played their version of Albus Dumbledore from the Harry Potter books. It was jarring on first viewing (still is), but the Potter films with Gambon became much different in tone (and gradually in style) than those of Harris.

I agree with you that Sony does not own the rights to use visuals from the Disney/Fox films, so the new movies will not look the same.

I too wish there would be solid answers about what kind of movie this is: Is The Silver Chair a reboot or a sequel? A reimagining or a continuation? What’s the draw this time, if it’s not connected to Lion, Witch, Wardrobe?

I didn’t like the idea of recasting all parts (why not have Peter Dinklage as Trumpkin again?!) but I think that it opens new creative paths to make a visually and emotionally distinctive set of new Narnia films. [Sort of like Mad Max: Fury Road (a sequel-reboot) or Jurassic World (a rebooted-sequel). Not a great example.]

I hope that we receive some sort of confirmation this summer on what Johnston & company have in mind. If he plans to make choices that will destroy fans’ interest in the franchise, better to get off the boat now than later.

• HPofNARNIA says:

I think sometime next month we may get a big announcement for the film.
        Yes, I just want a solid “yes” or “No” statement to the question “is The Silver Chair a reboot?”
        I really wanted them to have Aslan’s roar at the end of the film, but I don’t think they will, but I would, at least, like for them to have the opening credits be like in the first two (Tristar did it with ‘Madeline’ and ‘Godzilla’ and I want them to do it with Silver Chair).
        I can’t think of any other actors who might be a good choice to play Trumpkin.

• JFGII says:

Kat,

I do kind of hope Georgie Henley, Skander Keynes, Anna Popplewell & Henry Mosley return for the future Narnia movies as the adult Lucy, Edmund, Susan & Peter. Also James McAvoy & Tilda Swinton as Mr. Tumnus & Jadis.

But I doubt that this will happen.

Producer Mark Gordon & TriStar Productions seem to be making their own version of the last 4 Narnia stories. If they are well cast, well made, interesting movies, I don’t think it will hurt box office or critical reception – It will just crush the dreams of Narnia book fans who love the first (3) movie(s).

It might be offensive to those fans, but I hope there is great potential to complete the Chronicles on an emotionally high note, just emotionally different than the first 3 movies. It is still The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

“Put a brave face on it” – Puddleglum

• Barana says:

Apologies if this has been said,
    I have a different view on the books to what Ive been reading.
    People were talking about blockbusters and villans and remarking how narnia is not like that…
    After reading and absorbing and mulling 3/4 of planet narnia,(oh mate is that one GEM for a pattern matching aspie who wanted to know the secrets of narnia as bad as a lentil eating hippy wants the loo!)
    Narnia,past pc isnt a story like every story seems to be.good guys,villans and the story of the redemption of a victim and the good guy to boot.the stories seem seperate and strangly unique like father christmas stuck in narnia.I can tell you they are not.
    Imo of course.. Each book indeed has a story, but the story is in the mid ground.the narnianess that were all so trying to chase or taste is hidden in Jacks donegality. It is there. And ties all of them together but much better than….. What you yanks are calling a franchise.it imo is like a file encryption.Jack wrote it in such a way that if you dont have the key, never in a gillion years will you work out the puzzle.
    Ive worked out a few things from the planet narnia book and more(unless he has written it in the last chapter!) and Ive worked out the one big donegality I think Jack buried the deepest…..
    Anyway my point is ..hmm narnia isnt a traditional story. Its more their seperate stories, and at this point I include the scifi trillogy also, because it..is similar yet the same and also inseperable….
    These seperate stories are told but details are added into the story that are more like props, and are used to illustrate the picture that is being painted with the next or previous book. You need those details to work out the greater story/picture.
    each story is unique but paints a picture. Its just a million miles far from your superheros or even 99% of stories out there.change the seeming inconsequential details, and you stuff it up for the overall story.

im not gunna spoil it for you( I also reguard it as a great prize or treasure)
    For the curious and the well read that havent worked it out Ill tell you without giving the revelation away.
    It is a great dance.
    There.Ive also not said anything new.without the key it remains safe.anyway time for bed.we hrs and all.

• Barana says:

Edit: forgot to mention ive been reading and digesting planet narnia now for two years.still havent finished it. there are two keys btw. Not just one.to the deep donegality this has a demonstration in ‘kind’ in the the deep magic of the stone table.nite.

• Jesus says:

I’m really looking forward to this movie! Obviously there has been some problems in the past, but instead of just forgetting about the last movies (like the director said) they should just tell the story from the book & not worry so much on the last films. Let me tell you something, they’re gonna mess up bad if they change characters (that’s if the continue making the movies). The original characters, story, & theme is what made Narnia magnificent in the beginning. The should just stick to the story of the book & not imply things that shouldn’t be there. That religious tone that C.S Lewis put in the books is what makes it amazing. But also they shouldn’t force anything to the movie (that’s why the last film was “bad”). Just let the story be told like it is in the book, but don’t change anything from the past just don’t imply it to the movie if that makes sense. I would very disappointed if the movie doesn’t have that same Narnia feeling vibe like the battles, the animals, just the Narnia feeling texture to it that reminds us of being a child again, & pretending that we were there with them if that makes sense lol. I know that not all the characters are gonna be in this movie but the ones who are they just can’t change them that simple. Anyways I’m looking forward to this & if possible the continuing of the Narnia books!

• JFGII says:

Amen to all you’ve said: Stick close to the books, filmmakers. The new TrStar films should be good movies and worthy adaptations to say the least.

• Jesus says:

Another thing they have to use the same Pevensies from the original films, not the adult version of them, but them rn at this age. That would bring me so much joy that our original Kings & Queens our original heroes are once again there (obviously I’m talking about if they continue to do these movies).

• JFGII says:

You have a noble idea; it would be really cool (and emotional) for the new filmmakers to bring back the Pevensie actors.

But personally, I don’t think they should. Even if The Silver Chair director wants to reference the other films, I think they need to cast different actors from here on out. For a few reasons:

3. Will Poulter is too old to play Eustace, so it would be awkward to see Georgie Henley interact with a different actor (or a different Mr. Tumnus Actor).

2. It’s not a bad thing to recast the original actors, IF you find fantastic new actors who bring their own interpretation to Lewis’s characters.

1. The original kids have grown up & moved on. Skander Keynes (Edmund) has quit acting to work in politics – and he’s an Atheist. I can’t see him rushing to return to Narnia like Mosley and Henley. If they can’t get him, they should find all new actors/actresses to play the Pevensies: age-appropriate kids (17-22 or 22-27 depending on which story they return in.)

I wish the new filmmakers the best of luck in bringing C S Lewis’ books to life.