Narnia on Disney+

Many news sites, including screenrant.com, have comprehensive lists of which shows will be available to stream on the new platform Disney+, and it looks like the first two Walden Narnia movies, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and Prince Caspian, are included on the list of films available to stream at launch! We’ve reached out to Disney+ to see if the third movie, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will be on Disney+, but have not yet heard back. Other Fox properties are listed, so there is a possibility that the film might be added later.

A brief clip from the battle in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe appeared in a TV ad for Disney+. Thanks to Tivoli for spotting it and letting us know!

15 Responses

1. I am surprised, and encouraged. I suppose that by including this clip in the ad, it shows Narnia thinks they will benefit financially from having it there.
    In other words, it probably means they think it will help the ad be effective to make them money… to get subscribers.

Could this be related to the news of Netflix’s planned adaptations? Perhaps Disney wants to demonstrate that Disney+ is a good competitor of Netflix. Maybe it is because Disney does not have many other fantasy films to draw from. I am referring to live-action fantasy.

2. Hasdrubal says:

I think its just a case of them putting all their feature films on the app. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe made something like 800 million at the box office and is still generally well remembered. They probably just put in there because its one of their most financially successful films.

3. JFG II says:

I’m sorry if this rant sounds inherently negative. It’s meant to be honest.

In terms of new Narnia adaptations, I’m concerned Disney is going to put Netflix in a financial rut, which will keep the Narnia filmmakers from being free to make their stories (mostly unencumbered by financial executives). I’m also concerned for a potential Narnia cancelation.

Why would I think that? Because that’s what’s been happening to Narnia for the last decade: Switching from Disney to Fox, switching from Fox to Sony, switching from Sony to Netflix, and now it looks like Narnia is caught in the middle again.

I hope that’s not the case. I want Narnia to have a great adaptation across series and films that tell C.S. Lewis’s whole story.

But I don’t know these filmmakers well enough yet to trust their vision. So I’m leaving my excitement and strong emotions out of it. At least until I see a scrap of actual footage. End of rant.

• Cleander says:

Well, the fact that we don’t know too much about it just yet is actually what leaves me with a scrap of hope. Previously unknown people have made great things before!
      I’m hoping Narnia will become one of Netflix’s weapons in the competition with Disney!
      And if it doesn’t, and Narnia gets cancelled for the last time, I’d say then would be a good time for the fans to pool their resources and make their own independent film series with the C. S. Lewis Company and Douglas Gresham at the helm!
      But I hope that day won’t come…

• telmarine says:

Netflix has already paid for the rights, so it’s almost sure to be adapted into film. Netflix is investing billions of dollars in new content. With Disney+, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services on the horizon, it’s more important than ever for Netflix to purchase content for original content. Narnia is a very well known property, so it’s sure to attract (or, at least retain) subscribers. You can make the case that Netflix needs Narnia more than Narnia needs Netflix.

4. please make more movies about Narnia.

• Penny says:

YES! We need the series to be completed! They did amazing on the first three. This is how book-movies should be made.

• Geekicheep says:

I agree 100%, ladies! The first was awesome, the second was great, and I enjoyed the third more than I’d like to admit (lol). I truly hope they will create more great Narnia stuff – and I’m still confident they will. While I can understand JFG II’s opinion, I kind of think telmarine nailed it: Netflix already paid for the rights to create Narnia content, so why wouldn’t they? Not to mention Amazon’s Lord of the Rings coming out (another company Netflix is competing against) and Game of Thrones ending and all that. I think the time has finally come for a return to Narnia. 🙂

5. Musgrave says:

While I know the correct way to read the Narnia series, in publication order of course, I have another series in which I’m unsure of to proceed that has to do with Disney+. A while ago I remember listening to a Narniaweb podcast where Rilian or Glumpuddle said they had come so close to watching the Empire Strikes Back with a friend who didn’t know who Darth Vader was, only to find out someone had spoiled who he was the day they were going to watch it. My wife doesn’t know any of the Star Wars plot and we’re going to watch the 8 leading up to episode 9, but I don’t know what order to watch them. Since Palpatine is back, I don’t know if I should watch episodes 4-5, 1-3, 6-8, or 4-6, 1-3, 7-8, or 4-the scene where Palpatine is first introduced in Return of the Jedi and you realize Vader has a master, then 1-3, and back to the rest of 6-8. Any thoughts?

• Frodo Lives says:

Watch the original trilogy first, then Revenge of the Sith, then complete the sequel trilogy. All others are optional.

Revenge of the Sith is important to the sequel trilogy and the original trilogy is crucial to liking these movies at all.

6. Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

Hmmm… I suppose being featured isn’t too surprising. LWW was fairly heavily represented in the Disney Blu Ray ad from like 2008? (the one that starts with “We have our heading”-“Here we GOOOO!”)

On a side note, I am kinda surprised they featured Star Wars the most, like even more than Marvel was. Don’t get me wrong, I know Star Wars is incredibly popular, but Marvel’s made more money (which should be expected with the amount of MCU movies out there, it’s just funny because Disney [Hollywood in general] is all about the$$$)

7. Horea Kaii says:

Well, just as long as the plot and the storyline would be in line with the classic ones, it’s just fine if they put some dreamy or Disney touch in it.
    tinytowerstand.com/

8. Brielle Luna says:

I have been waiting for this!!!!

9. Disney Fan says:

Disney + is going to give Netflix a run for their money