Netflix Paid “Nine Figures” for Narnia Rights?

The Hollywood Reporter recently published an article claiming that Netflix paid “nine figures” for the TV rights to The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Later, The Sunday Times was a little more specific:

Amazon paid $250m for the TV rights to The Lord of the Rings in 2017. […] Netflix paid slightly less for the rights to all the Narnia books.

Stephen Armstrong, The Sunday Times

This number appears to refer only to the price of acquiring the rights. The production budget for Netflix’s Narnia would be another matter.

These reports have not been officially confirmed by the studios. Here is everything we know about Netflix’s upcoming Narnia adaptations.

13 Responses

1. Alsan#1Fan says:

Interesting. If this news is actually true, then the Narnia “Universe” will be anything but low budget and will for sure happen. An investment for 200 Million dollars for just the film/tv rights is very high. If this is true Netflix REALLY wants to make Narnia, and this isn’t as iffy as we thought. That would also explain why they’ve kept any news under lock and key.

2. Telmarine says:

Well, that’s quite a lot of money…. I guess we know they’re serious about these adpatation. Looking forward to the next development.

3. collageartist says:

I hope the Netflix series surpasses the recent PC and VDT movies.

4. That’s a surprisingly large sum of money, albeit unspecified. I personally love Narnia more than Middle-earth, but I never would have guessed it would only cost “slightly less” than the LotR IP. LotR is so much more famous, known in the pop culture, and proven as a media venture.

Hopefully Netflix actually does more to promote the Narnia series well in advance, like Amazon has with little maps and team videos for its LOTR on Prime. Netflix typically does little more than a trailer or two a couple months before a new release, and then the whole season is dumped on the service all at once. I hope they’ll make Narnia more of an event. Build anticipation, drum up interest, make it more special than the many hundreds of shows and movies they produce.

• Hermitess of Narnia says:

LotR is also more marketable for a wider audience. Narnia is often seen as only being for children and Christians, so I assume it is a riskier investment. However, Narnia is recognizable and name recognition seems to be what is driving most of the large scale movies. Most of the successful movies are sequels now, possibly due to name recognition, so they may be thinking this justifies the price.

5. Magan says:

How can someone get involved with this show? I am in the film industry and want to help in anyway I can with this production.

6. Just Queen, not High Queen says:

I wonder how much Walden Media/Disney paid for the rights when they made the movies.

7. Marvin says:

That seems a big number to think that it excludes production budget. site

8. Oliver says:

I wonder if they actually will make a movie or just use the books to make money for more movies ,because I would like to see the movies on Netflix.