Now Accepting Fan Submissions for Narnia 70th Anniversary Video

2020 marks 70 years since the publication of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia.

To commemorate this anniversary, NarniaWeb – in cooperation with The C.S. Lewis Company – is producing a short video that will show fans around the world reading the same scene from the beloved story. It will be released in October. And you can be a part of it!

How to participate

Example of video framing
  1. Read through all the instructions and tips on this page.
  2. Record a video of yourself reading the scene where Lucy first enters the wardrobe.
  3. Click ‘SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO’ at the bottom of this page to open the submission form.
  4. Upload your video using the ‘Add file’ button. You will need a Google account to do so. Larger files may take a while to upload, depending on your internet connection.
  5. Enter your name/username and location. You can be as vague or specific as you would like about your location (e.g. “Australia”). This information might be displayed in the video.
  6. Specify the language in the Language in Video section.
  7. Add any additional information to the Notes panel, check “I agree” to the Conditions, and submit!

Deadline

The last day you’ll be able to send in your video will be August 26, 2020. Short clips from approximately 50 submissions will be used to create the final piece.

What to read

The excerpt everyone should read is from Chapter 1 of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

• Start from ‘And shortly after that they looked into a room that was quite empty except for one big wardrobe.
  • End withIn about ten minutes she reached it and found it was a lamp-post.

Please read this entire excerpt. It will probably take you about 2-3 minutes. A short clip from your submission might be used in the video.

Recording tips

Of course, we will not be able to fit all of your submissions in the final edit. To give your reading the best possible chance of being included in the video, follow these tips.

• Be mindful of audio. If it is difficult to hear you, your submission probably won’t be used.
  • If using a phone, record horizontally.
  • Check your video recording settings and choose 720p or higher. The editor will be reluctant to include anything smaller.
  • Find an interesting location for the background. Perhaps a pretty room, outdoors, a recognizable landmark, or Narnia paraphernalia.
  • If possible, make the book visible in the shot.
  • Avoid displaying company logos or other copyrighted images in your video.
  • Just use your normal voice. Don’t put on a different voice or accent.
  • No costumes. Just be yourself.

Children

We hope to include both children and adults in the final edit. You are welcome to record your children, either individually or together as a family. If you (or others in the video) are under 16, you will need a parent or guardian’s permission to submit your video.

Non-English Submissions

We hope to include at least a few different languages in the video. If you are multilingual, feel free to submit multiple videos in different languages. Please specify the language in the filename and in the Language or Notes section on the submission form.

Conditions

By submitting a Video, you (or, if under 16, your parent/guardian) hereby consent to NarniaWeb’s use of your Video, along with your likeness, voice, name, location of residence. Videos may be used by NarniaWeb, Netflix, or The C.S. Lewis Company either as a complete unit or in segments or in any derivative form, in any way we deem appropriate and for any purpose whatsoever in any medium including, without limitation, social media sites and other Internet sources. You waive any rights of privacy and publicity, moral or other rights you may have in any such Video.

SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO

29 Responses

1. Azra Marcella says:

Is it necessary for the book to be shown in the video?

2. Lord Argoz says:

Definitely doing this!

3. Just Queen, not High Queen says:

By “copyrighted images,” does that include Narnia posters and other related memorabilia? And do you recommend we use our actual name, username, or both?

4. Jonathon says:

Are accents or voices allowed?

• Glumpuddle says:

Nah, just read it in your normal voice.

• Mrs. Beaver says:

Even the brief lines from Peter and Lucy? It feels wrong to NOT read them in an English accent. (Standard voice for the rest, of course, which in my case would be an American accent.) Editor can always reject accented bits, of course. If NarniaWeb gets a lot of submissions, most of us will be lucky to get in about three words, unless there is a plan to layer voices on top of one another or something like that. God bless whoever will be editing it all!

• Glumpuddle says:

True enough, Mrs. Beaver. 🙂

5. Olusakin Isaacs-Sodeye says:

I love this!
    Such great timing as I have just started a summer reading club going through the Chronicles of Narnia with families. This is a superb idea!!!

6. Shehzy says:

Narnia books aren’t translated into my native language, still can I translate it myself and read it with the English book in hand?

7. Rebecca says:

Is cosplay acceptable (as long as it’s family friendly)? I realize that it’ll mostly just be a person’s head and shoulders visible in the video frame, but it still could be fun to have a few people reading while in costume, as long as they keep to their normal voice.

8. Brittany says:

Are you looking for a continuous, unedited shot of the reader or is editing and voiceover OK?

9. Daughter of Eve says:

Super excited for this!! Is it okay to use children with the parent/guardian permission if they are related to the reader, but not necessarily their own children? (My sister would like me to include her sons – my nephews.) Thanks! Looking forward to this!

• ajaiken says:

Yes, it’s absolutely fine to include any children who have the permission of their respective parent or guardian.

10. I don’t have a copy translated to my native language which is Tagalog (or Filipino). I translatd it using the Google Translate. Is it fine?

• AJAiken says:

No, I’m afraid we can only use official translations.

• Is there then an ‘officially’ translated version of the said language?

• AJAiken says:

I’m afraid I don’t know. As you know Tagalog, I would do your own search to see if there is. If there is then hopefully you can get a copy. For any more details on translations you’ll need to contact the estate as they’ll be the ones who know what’s available.

11. If using a different language, should I include an English subtitle on the video?

• AJAiken says:

If you also submit a blank version of the video, that could be helpful. It isn’t required. (However, I’m aware I’ve just said no to using Google Translate. This may be useful for others to know.)

12. Mac says:

I had planned to wear a crown (a replica of Lucy’s crown in the movie,) as a sort of Narnian prop, but just noticed the rule about no costumes. I would otherwise be wearing regular, everyday clothes from my wardrobe, but had hoped to use the crown as “Narnian paraphernalia,” which IS allowed. So would a crown count as a costume, or could it count as paraphernalia?

13. Delina says:

My book has a cover with an image from the motion picture done by Walden Media and Disney of the White Witch. Should I try to find another edition or will this be okay? Thank you!