Gresham Shares Plans for Next Narnia Film

Posted May 24, 2012 10:52 am by glumPuddle

It has been over six months since we last heard any kind of update on the Narnia films. Now, we finally have something to report.

Kristi from The Lion’s Call has posted a brief report on Douglas Gresham’s (co-producer, Lewis’ stepson) comments at Oxford earlier this week. He revealed his hopes for the future of the Chronicles of Narnia films:

• There is a seven-year moratorium on producing any Narnia films outside of Walden Media.
  • He might have future films made independently.
  • The Silver Chair is the film he would like to make next.
  • He would like to see Andrew Adamson return, but thinks he would be too expensive.
  • In the meantime, he will focus on a film adaptation of Lewis’ “The Screwtape Letters.”

Read the full report here

We previously believed the moratorium period was 3-4 years, and that the next film would very likely be The Magician’s Nephew. Now it appears the wait will be longer than we thought, and Gresham will maintain the original published order and continue with The Silver Chair.

To clarify the issue: By law, no Narnia films can be released by anyone without Walden Media until the moratorium ends, and it appears that Gresham would prefer to make the films independently. Assuming the moratorium began just after Dawn Treader‘s release, the earliest we could see the next Narnia film is probably 2018.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Discussion Forum!

• NarniaFan#1 says:

WHHAAATT! 2018?! :(

• YAY! says:

But it will be worth the wait DEFINITELY! i am so glad that the next one will be The Silver Chair because William Poulter s such a brilliant Eustace Scrubb and it would be such a shame if they missed out that film as it is in my opinion one of the best stories and the film companies wouldn’t be doing C.S.Lewis any credit if they left it out.

• Son of Adam says:

But I worry they will do something even worst, a flop movie or something like The Golden Compass and Eragon, unless they got a better director like Peter Jackson, Guillermo Del Toro, James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, Nolan or…. atleast Andrew Adamson.

• Son of Adam says:

And Matthew Vaughn.

• Son of Adam says:

and Joss Whedon.

• mixedfiction says:

Amid all this fuss and waiting, I can manage to say that there are awesome films coming up! :P

• Jasmine says:

WHAT?!?? REALLY??? Why does he HAVE to make the films independently?? Why can’t they just keep going with the series so we can keep the same actors before they get too old and all? WHY?!? And who says someone else can’t make a film with Walden Media, if this guy doesn’t want to? Gahh.

• Son of Adam says:

I bet, if VDT B.O. got 600mil above or just like LWW did, they will do the next Narnia movie immediately! As fast as they can!

• Gio says:

He’s crazy!!!!!!!!! He can’t do it!!!

• Tinidril says:

This saddens me, The Magician’s Nephew is the best book. I waited my entire life to see these on the big screen, and I fear I will never get to see all of them … why not make TLWW, Prince Caspian (which they messed up completely), Dawntreader and Silver Chair and forget the other stories … oh wait, somebody already did that back in the 80′s :(

• Taisia says:

I agree with you about Prince Caspian. They didn’t go by the book. If I hadn’t read the book first I might have liked it more, but it really bugged me that they put Prince Caspian and Queen Susan together *yuck*.

• Son of Adam says:

But I like Prince Caspian movie more than the book. :P

• Taisia says:

Really?!!! :O Why?

• mixedfiction says:

Yeah; as a fan, I was disappointed with Susan and Caspian’s love story, plus he was supposed to marry Ramandu’s daughter in the next book! and about what they did to Peter’s character.

• Son of Adam says:

I don’t really like Susan & PC love story as well, but I think Prince Caspian was better than LWW and VDT, the acting is better, great emotional and intensity. I think Peter is great in PC, just like a true warrior, and Edmund as well. :)

I can accept the change, but the change must be good, I think they did the little change of PC nicely. Yeah, I don’t really like Susan & PC’s love story, but it’s acceptable for me.

• Taisia says:

Prince Caspian was supposed to be ten years old (that’s not too much of a big thing, but that’s only one of the BIG changes they made from the book). Yeah. I agree with mixedfiction about Peter. They changed him. But I think it was partly Prince Caspian being so touchy.

• Anhun says:

Caspian’s supposed to be the same age as Peter. Since movie-Peter was older than book-Peter, Caspian had to be aged up as well.

• Taisia says:

Aaah! That makes sense! Thanks :)

• Son of Adam says:

Aslan say "Things never happen the saem way twice." , learn from that.

• NarniaGenius101 says:

Totally! Although, my fave one is Prince Caspian. I think it’s because of the number of battle’s they had in it. But they did it so wrong!

• rere27 says:

i was bummed about caspian and susan to

• rumbleroar says:

I think Prince Caspian was a pretty good movie even though it wasn’t exactly the same as the book, although i must agree that pairing susan and caspian together is a bit digusting.

• Austra says:

If I were choosing, I’d having them make "The Horse and His Boy" next. It’s my second favourite of the whole series, after "The Last Battle", and it’s NEVER been used in cinema.

Of course, neither has "The Last Battle", but I’m rather glad of that, seeing as "The Last Battle" is made of stuff that I doubt anyone could properly portray or interpret.

At any rate, things being what they are, I know that’s not even in anyone’s sphere of thinking just now.

So if they were going to make "The Silver Chair" next, I don’t see why Douglas Gresham doesn’t just do it with Walden Media. I guess I’m a little impatient for the next movie to be out! :)

Personally, I don’t know about Andrew Adamson as the director, but of course what I say counts for very little.

There’s a "Screwtape Letters" movie?! Why did I not know this before, and why have I not looked into it?!

I’m leaving to go see if I can find a trailer or something…ta-ta!

• Black shadow says:

Oh come on 2018!!
    I can’t wait that long and why the silver chair?
    there are better one’s than that and they should start by finishing this seres they have not done the magician’s nephew and the horse and his boy both very good book’s

• QueenLucy says:

I know this is totally random but I think that if Emma Watson wasn’t so famous and was a bit younger she would make a good Jill Pole. :-)

• Son of Adam says:

Agree, especially when she is in Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets, if they decide to do Narnia movie earlier.

I think Harry Potter and LOTR was the hottest movie of that time, which around 2001 – 2003, that’s the greatest time for fantasy genre’s movies.

• NarniaGenius101 says:

I loved the first two Narnia movies, but Voyage of The Dawn Tredar wasn’t that good. I think it because, Andrew Adamson didn’t direct it.
    BTW, I was Susan Pevensie for Halloween.

• nic says:

Two hundred & ninety eight…

• nic says:

Three Hundred, wop wop wop!!! :)

• Danbuster says:

Wow! Long wait for another Narnia movie! O_O
    Though filming the Screwtape Letters sounds interesting… if a little ambitious perhaps? How will he make a film about a senior devil writing letters to his junior, I wonder…

• MrFezzig says:

They already produced and performed the Screwtape Lettes on stage in New York at the Westside Theater. It ran for 309 performances in 2010. So now all they have to do is to adapt the play to a screenplay and start production.

• Aslanfan#1 says:

Did not think we would have to wait THIS long, I was in hopes for The Magician’s nephew, too bad Disney could not take it back…..I was buying the movies as soon as they came on the Market! I wil pray for the right path will be taken for the next adventure! Can not wait…… But I will!

• rere27 says:

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! i will be 18 before i can see the silver chair? life is not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jimbo says:

If they had have carried out the momentum from the first movie into the second then Walden would not have pulled the plug after VDT,and to add insult we now have to wait until 2018, typical take a great story and feck it up and then run

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry