Gresham Shares Plans for Next Narnia Film

Posted May 24, 2012 10:52 am by Glumpuddle

It has been over six months since we last heard any kind of update on the Narnia films. Now, we finally have something to report.

Kristi from The Lion’s Call has posted a brief report on Douglas Gresham’s (co-producer, Lewis’ stepson) comments at Oxford earlier this week. He revealed his hopes for the future of the Chronicles of Narnia films:

• There is a seven-year moratorium on producing any Narnia films outside of Walden Media.
  • He might have future films made independently.
  • The Silver Chair is the film he would like to make next.
  • He would like to see Andrew Adamson return, but thinks he would be too expensive.
  • In the meantime, he will focus on a film adaptation of Lewis’ “The Screwtape Letters.”

Read the full report here

We previously believed the moratorium period was 3-4 years, and that the next film would very likely be The Magician’s Nephew. Now it appears the wait will be longer than we thought, and Gresham will maintain the original published order and continue with The Silver Chair.

To clarify the issue: By law, no Narnia films can be released by anyone without Walden Media until the moratorium ends, and it appears that Gresham would prefer to make the films independently. Assuming the moratorium began just after Dawn Treader‘s release, the earliest we could see the next Narnia film is probably 2018.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Discussion Forum!

• baozik says:

I just hate the thought of having to wait 7 years. It would mean a whole new cast would be needed for the children and cousin.
    So my question is, are they allowed to film the rest of the series, lock the product in a vault and release it in 2018??

• nic says:

Here’s a short of Andrew Adamson’s new Cirque du Soleil World’s Away movie project in Japanese i’m guessing:

DO you think it’s fair to say it’s very Narnian isn’t it? Or at least abit Narnian?

Or maybe, if being particularly extravagant…. even very easy to imagine as being abit Horse & His Boy exotic…ish? πŸ™‚

• Taisia says:

I wish we didn’t have to wait so long for the next Narnia film!!! Douglas Gresham pleeeease stay with Walden Media!

• Son of Adam says:

I think hope is so small, like a dust….

• bapzik says:

Why didn’t anyone sort out the renewal of Narnia before it expired??

• Ronald says:

I want more Movies in NARNIA… nice movie film… good job to all cast of Narnia and the Director… more Power to all of you… i will pray… that more movies come to the NARNIA.

• Christopher says:

To quote Tasha from The Backyardigans: Ranch Hands From Outer Space, "Oh my, oh my!".

I was starting to look forward to The Magician’s Nephew, partially because that was the first Narnia book I read, and also because it sets up the groundwork for the other six films. Tilda Swinton HAS to reprise her role as Jadis for that movie!

This wait may be tough, but I hope and pray that they’ll go back to the way things were with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Prince Caspian. Walt Disney Pictures needs to team up with Walden Media again, and Andrew Adamson needs to direct the rest of the series. If this wait enables that, then it will definitely be worth it.

• Son of Adam says:

I think I’m no interested in Narnia movies anymore, too late, almost of my excitement about Narnia movies is over, I can’t trust those official words anymore.

• QueenLucy says:

Is there any possible way the same actors could be used??? That is very important to me! πŸ™‚

• Sujatha says:

I want all the Narnia books to be made into movies. I love them

• Aravis says:

Seven years?! wow i hope its worth the wait… then again Narnia’s always worth the wait πŸ™‚

• Delpheas says:

That actually makes me feel much better about the Silver Chair, aside from the aspect of who will play Eustace, Douglas made the right decision to pull away from the people who want to destroy his father’s work.

• Son of Adam says:

While we are waiting for the next Narnia movie,we have another great film to watch, it was The Amazing Spider-Man! Just saw it yesterday, I love it so much!! πŸ˜€

• mixedfiction says:

Really? It looks great, but I haven’t seen it yet. Hope to find it better than the previous ones.
      Andy Garfield looks cool.

• Son of Adam says:

I love Tobey Mcguire’s Spider-Man, espeacially Spider-Man 2, but I think I like the new Spider-Man slightly more than previous one. Glad to have 2 great Spider-Man series. πŸ™‚

• mixedfiction says:

Do you love lots of movies?

• mixedfiction says:

I’d totally agree to a Narnia series reboot, with a director that is a fusion of Adamson and Apted, with good actors/actresses (I mean no offense to anyone). But if they would not reboot the series, then I’d like to see SC next. Poor thing that it’d be years until the next narnia film; and if it’s gonna be SC, I fear Will Poulter will be too old. He’s such a great actor.

• Taisia says:

I agree with mixedfiction! I hope it doesn’t take too long! πŸ™ I don’t get why Douglas Gresham won’t release a Narnia film with Walden Media.

• mixedfiction says:

Whatever happens, I’m alert for a new Narnian FILM!

• mixedfiction says:

What do you people say to the idea that Patrick Doyle will score one Narnia film?

• mixedfiction says:

I like his music. He scored ‘Eragon’ and ‘Thor’, and I loved those soundtracks. I bet the soundtrack of ‘Brave’ is beautiful too.

• Taisia says:

Patrick Doyle is a genius and I LOVE his music, but I think Harry Gregson-Williams should do it. He did the music for Prince of Persia and the first two Narnia films, he also did the music for Kingdom of Heaven (I’ve never seen the film, but I have listened to the music and it’s really good). I was very disappointed when he didn’t do the music for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

How about Howard Shore do music for Narnia? XD

• mixedfiction says:

Any one wants to go ‘Further Up and Further In’ or ‘Into the West’?

• Not Of This World says:

Mabey it’s seven years to represent the seven Telmarine Lords πŸ™‚

• mixedfiction says:

Let’s pretend that SC will be made at present. If Will Poulter will reprise his role as Eustace, which actresses do you people think should play Jill Pole and TLotGK? And who should play Rillian? And Puddleglum?

• Son of Adam says:

ChloΓ« Grace Moretz as Jill Pole.

• mixedfiction says:

What can you say if Anne Hathaway should play tLotGK? Not that I would wholly choose her, but as an option, she’s a great actress (plus she’s beautiful). Any other suggestions?

• mixedfiction says:

Chloe Moretz may fit. But at first I thought ‘She’s fifteen already, wouldn’t that be too old for Jill?’ Then I found out that Poulter was already 19 at present, so it may work out after all. πŸ˜‰

• Son of Adam says:

Anne Hathaway is not bad, I like The Princess Diaries. :)But, I’m thinking is Anne Hathaway looks evil enough? Her face look like an angel. XD I’m thinking who is beautiful, and still have evil looking, how about Zoe Saldana? ^^

As for Puddleglum I have few suggestion, Alan Rickman, Ben Stiller, Johnny Depp and Jim Carey.

• Son of Adam says:

Oh… yeah! I’m now just thinking another one who maybe can play the role of Lady of the Green Kirtle, Kate Winslet. ^^

I know what you mean about Hathaway; not sure about Zoe Saldana. πŸ™‚
        But wouldn’t Depp be too big an actor? He’d get billed before the title. I’m considering Alan Rickman, however; but I like your other suggestions! πŸ™‚

• mixedfiction says:

Kate Winslet? I honestly don’t think so. She’s a great actress, but I’m rather thinking that she’s chubby for the role (I don’t dislike her). πŸ™‚

• Son of Adam says:

Yeah, Depp was just a choice, but if I’m a director, I don’t think I’ll choose him in final result, I think I might choose Ben Stiller, sometime I think Alan Rickman is very fit as Puddleglum, have you see the concept art of Puddleglum, so if they do the make-up, Alan Rickman is not bad.

• Son of Adam says:

And about Lady of the Green Kirtle, Kate Winslet also one of choice, haha, I didn’t dislike her, and I didn’t like her as well. Actually I’m not sure about her, I’m just thinking if she do well, her face will fit the evil look very well, just like a good guy’s face turn to evil face suddenly. And actually I have another choice, Eva Green, but I worry people will thinking her about the witch of The Golden Compass, and might not bring good effect.

• mixedfiction says:

What about Prince Rillian then? I can’t think of someone for him.

• Son of Adam says:

Prince Rillian….. how about Logan Lerman or Graig Horner?
        and I think I have another choice for Jill Pole as well, Dakota Blue Richards. ^^

sorry, is Craig Horner. πŸ˜›

• Son of Adam says:

And I think Cate Blanchett will do a great green witch as well, but she already done a great job in LOTR.

• mixedfiction says:

I don’t know about Lerman and Horner, but I agree about Dakota Blue Richards.

• mixedfiction says:

Yes, she’d do great for LGK, and did great as Galadriel. πŸ™‚
        How about Charlize Theron? πŸ˜›

• Son of Adam says:

Logan Lerman is Percy Jackson in Percy Jackson and the Olympian: The Lightning Thief, and Craig Horner was in the TV series Legend of the Seeker.

Charlize Theron was an excellent choice as the Green witch, but same problem, she got the evil queen in Snow White and the Huntsman, I’m afraid people will feel the similiarity. We need someone new… πŸ™‚

• Son of Adam says:

I think if I’m director, I’ll choose Logan Lerman as Rillian, and keep Craig Horner for The Last Battle as Tirian. πŸ˜€

I’m just thinking is Rachel Weisz fit as the green witch?

or….. Craig Horner as Rillian and Logan Lerman as Tirian. XP

• mixedfiction says:

Oh, yes; I google searched Lerman and Horner, but I haven’t watched any of their films, so I can’t judge them.
        Agree about the idea that Charlize Theron might be associated with ‘Snow White & the Huntsman’s Evil Witch.
        Rachel Weisz is a good choice too. πŸ™‚
        But I’m thinking, (as my sister suggested), that they should find a group of people who are not exactly "well-known and world-wide". πŸ˜›

• mixedfiction says:

I’m thinking that they should cast people the way PJ does for LOTR, such that when you see the names you’ll say "What? Who are these guys, where’d they come from?", and then when you see them in the movie you’ll find out that they have great talents. πŸ˜€

• Son of Adam says:

Yeah! I totally agree! Just like the 4 Pevensies, Georgie Henley, Anna Popplewell, Skandar Keynes and William Moseley, before they work for Narnia movies, people don’t know everything about them, that make people feel "fresh". πŸ˜€

• Son of Adam says:

Sometime, famous stars make me feel boring…. XD πŸ˜›

• mixedfiction says:

I know what you mean. Especially in roles like these; hollywood stars aren’t always fitting for all major characters.

• Christ's girl says:

When Craig Horner has long hair he looks like Ben Barnes in VODT!!!!

• Son of Adam says:

I think Craig Horner looks great when he ride with the Green Witch, when Eustace and Jill Pole meet them in the half way.

• Christ's girl says:

What about Lily Collins for Jill?

• Son of Adam says:

Not bad, but I think she is older than Will Poulter, but, nevermind, these movie maker is great in make-up. πŸ˜‰

• mixedfiction says:

Maybe. If we’ll only look at the acting abilities

• Christ's girl says:

She is four years older than Will Poulter, but she’s also four inches shorter. I also think she did a magnificent job in Mirror Mirror, as well as The Blind Side. She doesn’t exactly look twenty three either. At least not in Mirror Mirror.

• Hurricane says:

I SINCERELEY BELIEVE THAT THE WAY FORWARD FOR THE NARNIA MOVIES IS THROUGH COMPLETE CGI WE MUST COMPLETELY EMBRACE MOTION CAPTURE TECHNOLOGY ALA THE NEW TINTIN MOVIE AND THE BEOWULF MOVIE(2011).

I HAVE BEEN A NARNIA FAN FROM THE AGE OF 7 AND I AM NOW 37 YEARS OLD. IT BREAKS MY HEART TO SEE SUCH GRAND SCALES OF PRODUCTION FROM LORDS OF THE RINGS, HARRY POTTER AND THE HOBBIT. YET IN MY OPINION NARNIA CAN CAPTURE THE IMAGINATION MUCH BETTER. i HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY UNDERWHELMED WITH THE WALDEN FILMS SO FAR AND FEEL THEY HAVE BEEN UNDER PRODUCED WITH MEDIOCRE BUDGETS COMPARED TO THEIR CONTEMPERARIES. LWW WAS PASSABLE PURELY IN ITS NOVELTY VALUES BUT PC AND VDT WAS NOT THE STANDARD THAT IS BEING PRODUCED CURRENTELY. I ABSOLUTELY WANT A COLLECTION OF NARNIA MOVIES THAT WE AS FANS CAN BE PROUD OF YET THE ACTING HAS BEEN WOODEN AND THE BUDGETARY CONSTRAINTS ARE EVIDENT AT EVERY SET-PEICE. THE CRINGEWORTHY "FOR NARNIA" SHOUT AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR VOICE LENDS AN AIR OF SPURIOUS SINCERITY TO THE CAUSE. MY MESSAGE THEN IS A CRY FOR HELP DIRECTLY TO DOUGLAS GRESHAM NOT TO MAKE ANY FURTHER MOVIES AND SERIOUSLY CONSIDER A RE-BOOT IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER IN MOTION CAPTURE TECHNOLOGY. I DO NOT BELIEVE ALL FILMS SHOULD USE THIS, ONLY THE FANTASY MOVIES LIKE NARNIA AND LOTR. I BELIEVE THE NARNIAN MOVIES ARE PERFECTLY PLACED TO PIONEER AN ENTIRE 7 FILM MOTION CAPTURE SERIES WHICH CAN MORE ACCURATELY DEPICT NARNIA AND ITS WONDERFULL CREATURES AND CHARACTERS. RATHER THAN USE NEW ZEALAND, IRELAND OR WALES, USE C.S. LEWIS’ OWN IMAGINATION AND CREATE THE BEAUTIFULL LANDSCAPE WITH THE TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE. THIS ALSO TAKES AWAY CONTINUITY ISUES WITH AGEING ACTORS AS THE MOTION CAPTURE CAN AGE THE CHARACTERS AS THE SCRIPT SEES FIT RATHER THAN SHOEHORNING MEDIOCRE YOUNG ENGLISH ACTORS WHO ARE THERE BASED UPON BEING BRITISH RATHER THAN ANY REAL ACTING TALENT. WITH SOME NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS I MUST ADMIT. bACK TO THE MOTION CAPTURE POINT, CONSIDER FOR A MOMENT FOR SET PIECES LIKE "THE HOUSE OF CHARN IN MAGICIANS NEPHEW" THE FLIGHT OF FLEDGE WITH DIGORY FLYING OVER THE NEWLY CREATED NARNIA, THE TALKING HORSES IN THE HORSE AND HIS BOY AND THE VAST DESERT FROM TASHBAAN TO ARCHELAND AND TASHBAAN ITSELF. SPIELBERG AGONISED OVER ACTORS FOR TINTIN AND CAPTAIN HADDOCK AND EVENTUALLY DECIDED TO GO WITH EXACTLY HOW THE AUTHORS VIEWED THEM VIA MOTION CAPTURE. THE VOICE ACTING THEN ADDS REAL DEPTH TO EACH CHARACTER. NARNIA CAN BE SAVED FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS ON CELLULOID BY A COMPLETE RE-BOOT USING MOTION CAPTURE, CGI AND DIGITAL IMAGERY. THE OTHER OPTION IS TO CONTINUE WITH THE MEDIOCRE PRODUCTIONS SO FAR WHOSE BOX OFFICE FIGURES(EXCEPT LWW DUE TO NOVELTY VALUE) AND BOX OFFICE PERFORMANCE HARDLY JUSTIFIED FUTURE FILMS. I FELL THIS SHOULD BE GIVEN SERIOUS THOUGH AND THIS FANTASTIC TECHNOLOGY WHICH HAS BEEN USED COMPLETEY IN BEOWULF, TINTIN AND WITH THE EXCEPTION OF REAL ACTORS IN THE WHOLE OF AVATAR. PLEASE SAVE NARNIA FROM BEING A MEDIOCRE FOOTNOTE WHICH WAS BESTED BY LOTR AND HARRY POTTER TO THE BEST FANTASY LAND IMAGINED.

• NarniaFan#1 says:

WHHAAATT! 2018?! πŸ™

• YAY! says:

But it will be worth the wait DEFINITELY! i am so glad that the next one will be The Silver Chair because William Poulter s such a brilliant Eustace Scrubb and it would be such a shame if they missed out that film as it is in my opinion one of the best stories and the film companies wouldn’t be doing C.S.Lewis any credit if they left it out.

• Son of Adam says:

But I worry they will do something even worst, a flop movie or something like The Golden Compass and Eragon, unless they got a better director like Peter Jackson, Guillermo Del Toro, James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, Nolan or…. atleast Andrew Adamson.

And Matthew Vaughn.

and Joss Whedon.

• mixedfiction says:

Amid all this fuss and waiting, I can manage to say that there are awesome films coming up! πŸ˜›

• Jasmine says:

WHAT?!?? REALLY??? Why does he HAVE to make the films independently?? Why can’t they just keep going with the series so we can keep the same actors before they get too old and all? WHY?!? And who says someone else can’t make a film with Walden Media, if this guy doesn’t want to? Gahh.

• Son of Adam says:

I bet, if VDT B.O. got 600mil above or just like LWW did, they will do the next Narnia movie immediately! As fast as they can!

• Gio says:

He’s crazy!!!!!!!!! He can’t do it!!!

• Tinidril says:

This saddens me, The Magician’s Nephew is the best book. I waited my entire life to see these on the big screen, and I fear I will never get to see all of them … why not make TLWW, Prince Caspian (which they messed up completely), Dawntreader and Silver Chair and forget the other stories … oh wait, somebody already did that back in the 80’s πŸ™

• Taisia says:

I agree with you about Prince Caspian. They didn’t go by the book. If I hadn’t read the book first I might have liked it more, but it really bugged me that they put Prince Caspian and Queen Susan together *yuck*.

But I like Prince Caspian movie more than the book. πŸ˜›

• Taisia says:

Really?!!! :O Why?

• mixedfiction says:

Yeah; as a fan, I was disappointed with Susan and Caspian’s love story, plus he was supposed to marry Ramandu’s daughter in the next book! and about what they did to Peter’s character.

• Son of Adam says:

I don’t really like Susan & PC love story as well, but I think Prince Caspian was better than LWW and VDT, the acting is better, great emotional and intensity. I think Peter is great in PC, just like a true warrior, and Edmund as well. πŸ™‚

I can accept the change, but the change must be good, I think they did the little change of PC nicely. Yeah, I don’t really like Susan & PC’s love story, but it’s acceptable for me.

• Taisia says:

Prince Caspian was supposed to be ten years old (that’s not too much of a big thing, but that’s only one of the BIG changes they made from the book). Yeah. I agree with mixedfiction about Peter. They changed him. But I think it was partly Prince Caspian being so touchy.

• Anhun says:

Caspian’s supposed to be the same age as Peter. Since movie-Peter was older than book-Peter, Caspian had to be aged up as well.

• Taisia says:

Aaah! That makes sense! Thanks πŸ™‚

• Son of Adam says:

Aslan say "Things never happen the saem way twice." , learn from that.

• NarniaGenius101 says:

Totally! Although, my fave one is Prince Caspian. I think it’s because of the number of battle’s they had in it. But they did it so wrong!

• rere27 says:

i was bummed about caspian and susan to

• rumbleroar says:

I think Prince Caspian was a pretty good movie even though it wasn’t exactly the same as the book, although i must agree that pairing susan and caspian together is a bit digusting.

• Austra says:

If I were choosing, I’d having them make "The Horse and His Boy" next. It’s my second favourite of the whole series, after "The Last Battle", and it’s NEVER been used in cinema.

Of course, neither has "The Last Battle", but I’m rather glad of that, seeing as "The Last Battle" is made of stuff that I doubt anyone could properly portray or interpret.

At any rate, things being what they are, I know that’s not even in anyone’s sphere of thinking just now.

So if they were going to make "The Silver Chair" next, I don’t see why Douglas Gresham doesn’t just do it with Walden Media. I guess I’m a little impatient for the next movie to be out! πŸ™‚

Personally, I don’t know about Andrew Adamson as the director, but of course what I say counts for very little.

There’s a "Screwtape Letters" movie?! Why did I not know this before, and why have I not looked into it?!

I’m leaving to go see if I can find a trailer or something…ta-ta!

• Black shadow says:

Oh come on 2018!!
    I can’t wait that long and why the silver chair?
    there are better one’s than that and they should start by finishing this seres they have not done the magician’s nephew and the horse and his boy both very good book’s

• QueenLucy says:

I know this is totally random but I think that if Emma Watson wasn’t so famous and was a bit younger she would make a good Jill Pole. πŸ™‚

• Son of Adam says:

Agree, especially when she is in Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets, if they decide to do Narnia movie earlier.

I think Harry Potter and LOTR was the hottest movie of that time, which around 2001 – 2003, that’s the greatest time for fantasy genre’s movies.

• NarniaGenius101 says:

I loved the first two Narnia movies, but Voyage of The Dawn Tredar wasn’t that good. I think it because, Andrew Adamson didn’t direct it.
    BTW, I was Susan Pevensie for Halloween.

• nic says:

Two hundred & ninety eight…

• nic says:

Three Hundred, wop wop wop!!! πŸ™‚

• Danbuster says:

Wow! Long wait for another Narnia movie! O_O
    Though filming the Screwtape Letters sounds interesting… if a little ambitious perhaps? How will he make a film about a senior devil writing letters to his junior, I wonder…

• MrFezzig says:

They already produced and performed the Screwtape Lettes on stage in New York at the Westside Theater. It ran for 309 performances in 2010. So now all they have to do is to adapt the play to a screenplay and start production.

• Aslanfan#1 says:

Did not think we would have to wait THIS long, I was in hopes for The Magician’s nephew, too bad Disney could not take it back…..I was buying the movies as soon as they came on the Market! I wil pray for the right path will be taken for the next adventure! Can not wait…… But I will!

• rere27 says:

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! i will be 18 before i can see the silver chair? life is not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jimbo says:

If they had have carried out the momentum from the first movie into the second then Walden would not have pulled the plug after VDT,and to add insult we now have to wait until 2018, typical take a great story and feck it up and then run