‘Silver Chair’ Still a Possibility?

Inside Out has posted a a 32-minute podcast interview with Micheal Flahery (Walden Media president). The first five minutes are the most interesting for Narnia fans. Flaherty talks about why he thinks VDT’s box office started slow, the darkness in Prince Caspian, and finally gives an update on the status of the next film.

LISTEN HERE

Last we heard, it sounded pretty certain that if they made another Narnia film, it would be The Magician’s Nephew. But here, Flaherty seems to indicate nothing has been finalized:

“We’re still in our conversations right now with 20th Century Fox, and the C.S. Lewis Estate who own the rights to all the books. We’re all trying to come to an agreement about which film to do next and how to film it. So, we’re waiting to see where that goes.”

Flaherty talked about book sales in his last update. Here, he gives another reason they are considering The Magician’s Nephew:

“But there are some elements in [the books] that are a little tough, and Caspian is the darkest, and Silver Chair is pretty dark too… physically and tonally. A lot of it takes place underground. That’s why, for the next one, we’re really hoping to go in the direction of The Magician’s Nephew.”

UPDATE 2: The clip is on our YouTube Channel. Listen below…

Transcript:
(1:50 – 5:14)

IO: [Dawn Treader] started out very slowly in the United States.

MF: “Yeah, very slow. Made for an agonizing opening weekend.”

IO: What do you think went on? Why do you think it was so slow?
MF: “People are just so busy at Christmas time. And we in Hollywood are so ego-centric. We feel like everyone can just drop everything they have, all their family commitments, all their Christmas commitments and dedicate themselves to seeing a movie on opening day. And we’re real impatient. But, eventually the movie stayed in the theaters and ended up doing really well. We were pleased with it.”

IO: It did much better overseas, didn’t it?
MF: “Three times what it did here. It’s quite a puzzle, and it’s fun because there’s so little research that’s done in Hollywood. You’re free to just forward as many theories as you want. And, I don’t really know why the disparity is. What’s interesting in the United States is, ticket sales almost exactly mirror the book sales. So the number of people who saw Prince Caspian was half the number of people who saw The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. And the book sales are half. The people who saw Dawn Treader was about a third less than the people who saw Prince Caspian. And the book sales are about a third less.”

IO: Prince Caspian was a bit darker and grim and violent.
MF: “Yeah, and this is the paradox when you want to do faithful adaptations. That book is a dark war kind of novel. And we actually pulled back a little. In one scene, Peter beheads a couple of people [laughs]. At the end they run into some Greek gods who give everybody wine and they get drunk. So it’s amazing because I think a lot of us, in our minds, have this perfect image of these Narnia books because we grew up with them. But there are some elements in there that are a little tough, and Caspian is the darkest, and Silver Chair is pretty dark too… physically and tonally. A lot of it takes place underground. That’s why, for the next one, we’re really hoping to go in the direction of The Magician’s Nephew.”

IO: You talk about mirroring the book sales. The Magician’s Nephew was the second-highest seller of the series, wasn’t it?
MF: “Yes. And pretty close, sort of nipping at the heels of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It’s amazing and it’s a great origin story. And I like the way that Lewis did it and that’s what we’re trying to do with our film, which is: You actually start in the middle of the story, so then when you tell the origin it’s much more interesting. You can say to yourself ‘that’s where the lamp-post came from!’”

IO: Oh yeah, you can connect the dots on that which is always a lot of fun. What about production schedule and all of that? Do you have a script for this yet?
MF: “No, we don’t. We’re still in our conversations right now with 20th Century Fox, and the C.S. Lewis Estate who own the rights to all the books. So, we’re all trying to come to an agreement about which film to do next and how to film it. So, we’re waiting to see where that goes.”

Back in October, NarniaWeb posted a poll on the homepage asking which film should be made next. 86% voted for The Silver Chair (1,841 total votes).
UPDATE 1: We just added a new poll. Go back to the homepage and scroll down to the poll on the bottom-right.

423 Responses

1. Aslan2011 says:

Honestly, If they could only make two more films, I would hope they would do HHB and MN. I think that they are the most exciting of the ones that are left and they would both make an exellent screenplay.

• Gandalfs Beard says:

I absolutely 100% agree.

• lea says:

I find it hard to pick a favorit book but i think they should make all the book into movies! that way u can have a set.

• they should TOTALLY make another one!but first you should finish of the caspian series.:)

• Geon says:

If they can cut out the build-up of the "Green Mist" for the Silver Chair movie, I would be totally fine by that 🙂 Non-readers can question all they want for all I care.

• Anhun says:

What do you mean? The green mist was destroyed in VDT. There's no reason for it to appear in SC. Or are you talking about LGK explaining how she tried to use the green mist before she decided to enslave the creatures of Bism? I don't think that's necessary. Audiences can make the connection on their own (when they see LGK using green smoke to hypnotize the kids) or they can assume that the Green Mist was a stand-alone villainous entity. Either way works.

2. decarus says:

The reason that MN has so many sales is that because the books have been reordered some people seem to think it is the first book of the series. LWW is the first book of the series so that is why it has a lot of sales and some people think MN is the first book so that has a lot of sales. That doesn't mean that more people will see MN.

Sometimes i think they are just not too bright. The issue is that they need to make better movies. Certainly better then VotDT which was just not good and better then PC which had issues.

• Aslan2011 says:

LWW had so many sales because it was the most well known of all of the books. Chronologically, LWW is the second book but it was published first, which is why it is so well known.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

LWW is the original story, the others were just lamer followups.

• Aslan2011 says:

Okay…What I was really trying to say is that the only reason LWW had such a large box office amount was because so many people were familar with it, whereas the others are much less known and much less popular.

• Anhun says:

^I disagree. LWW is a very strong story, although the book isn't nearly as well written as some of the later books in the series. It translates well to film, and I think the fact that many people are likely to have seen earlier film versions may have contributed to the success of the Disney version.

As for the "lame follow ups," it depends on the book. PC, MN, and LB were written as follow ups, and I would agree that they aren't as good as the original. PC and LB were down right bad, MN was enjoyable and intriguing but it didn't stand on its own two feet.

VDT, SC, and HHB, on the other hand were not follow-ups at all. If you try to read them as such, you won't appreciate them. On the other hand if you read them as unique adventures separate from the LWW story, you will realize that they are actually a lot better than LWW. In the case of each book, Lewis clearly had a story to tell, and he used the Narniaverse to tell it.

• Not Of This World says:

This is what C.S Lewis himself said: "I think I agree with your order for reading the books [chronologically according to events] more than with your mother's [in order of publication]. . . . [But] perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone reads them". I agree with Lewis. I personaly perfer to read them MN, LWW, HHB, PC, … , but does it really mater?

And NO Narnia book is lame at all. They are all exelent peices of literature.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i mean lame as in not as strong as the cruxifiction story, follow ups as in" yikes, LWW is a smash, people want more, what can i come up with", as opposed to LWW, which originated more organically. kind of like when your first CD is a smash, then you have to rack your brain to come up with a followup, nothing can really top the story o f our salvation. I am enjoying the other stories more when i study the biblical references in the sequels. they are all WORTHY : ) ps. i do like the more fleshed out writing iof the sequels too, LWW is very bare bones, fairy tale style, for a first time adult reader in my experience.

• Arvan says:

I disagree. I am rereading the chronicles (in publication order), and they only get better as you go. LWW has been my least favorite and Silver Chair my favorite (which is a complete switch for me)! The stories and writing got so much better as Lewis wrote the chronicles (not to say I dislike LWW).

• decarus says:

The reason so many people are familiar with LWW is because it is the first book. It was published first so it is the first book. Some people who don't know that seem to think MN is the first book and that is why it has a lot of sales.

This guy is acting like because there seems to be a direct correlation between sales of the book and sales of the film that that will continue. The thing is that may be true up to this point, but i do not think making MN next will grant them as good of sales as LWW had.

I think they are completely wrong about that. MN would still be the next sequel in the Chronicles of Narnia and unless they start making really good movies they aren't going to keep any sort of audience. They have to make better movies.

• decarus says:

It has also been said that Lewis would have happily agreed with a child who sent a letter claiming that reading a book in publication order was the best way to do it. I think that publication order is completely the wrong way to do it. The story is centered around the events of LWW and to read MN first is to take away from the reveals that exist in that story that you are supposed to learn such as where the lamppost came from.

• decarus says:

I meant i think chronological order is the complete wrong way to read them.

• Anhun says:

Yeah, from the very beginning of MN, Lewis writes as though he assumes the reader has already read LWW at least.

• Dylan says:

Thats strange, because although it makes more sense to read LWW first, Lewis actually intended for MN to be read first. I think that is the wrong way to read it, because MN is more like an explaining book, less of a starter for the series.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

no, lewis DID NOT intend MN to be read first. he did not reorder them in his lifetime, which he could have if he wanted to . some boneheads came along 30 years after his death and took it upon themselves to do that. stupid move, too.

• Dylan says:

Actually, let me refraze that, Lewis did not INTEND for it to be read that way, he just agreed with it being read that way. You are right, he never re ordered the series, but he did hint that he wanted it that way. I think reading it in publication order makes way more sense. I really dont like how they reordered it, and made HHB the third book, doesnt make sense at all.

• High Queene, are you trying to make people mad? How were the other books 'lame'? And if they are 'lamer', does that mean LWW was lame as well, only not as much?

• Patrick says:

Yeah, that was a little irratating. If someone thinks the books are lame, then I really don't understand why they would be on Narniaweb…

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

sorry kiddos, perhaps "lamer" was too inflammatory a term. weaker? gentler? less important? compared to the cruxifiction story. now thst i am used to the sequels, i like them better. SC, not as much. i really missed having the pevensies though the whole series., like you would have nancy drew, or whoever.
        good thing i came back to read more comments, or i may have been lynched over that one word!! lol let me qualify that statement with: NARNIA RULES- ALL OTHERS DROOL!!!! SIGNED, CERTIFIED NARNIA ADDICT

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

perhaps " lesser works" is more what i meant.

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Well, I'd have to agree with you, High Queene Shelly Belly, that LWW is one superb allegory of the greatest story ever told. But not all the books can be allegories of the same story, even if it is the greatest one ever told. It would be very redundant and boring to have seven repeats of a crucifixion/resurrection allegory.

And you're right, LWW is a very strong book. The other six (in my opinion) are fairly good as well, but compared with LWW, they do have weaker storylines. Because, as you said, "nothing tops the crucifixion/resurrection story". But at the same time, we the fans absolutely love Narnia and want more of it. So we do need follow-ups in that sense.
        But they can't be the same as LWW, so yes, they will be weaker (but NOT lamer) stories because they simply aren't allegories of the greatest story ever told.

• the only 'lame' narnia book was the horse and his boy.i cant stand that one.my favorite is the silver chai.naturally!!:)

• decarus says:

LWW is not directly allegorical either. Even the reason behind Aslan's death is different. I don't think you should make such a direct allegorical connection.

Also i completely disagree with someones list back there. I would consider LB the best then PC then HaHB and then LWW. The other three i would consider his lesser works though still great in their own right.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i actually like SC least. maybe the movie would be better if they showed caspian and lil
        s romance, a royal wedding, the birth of their prince, etc. these movies have very few happy moments, in screen time, if you 've ever noticed. even when they celebrated the end in PC, it was maybe 45 seconds with them riding iinto town, why does it always have to be ugly sea serpents or wars or killing? can we have a little happy screen time please, Fox?

• Dylan says:

Narnia rules, all others rule. Lets not forget about middle earth here.

• Lewis-holic says:

just make all the movies, that way i can have all seven books and all seven movies… and my daughter can audition either way they do it…

3. narnian resident says:

my brother says they should try to do both at the same time. i agree, it just might be a lot of money, but that way you can please the general audience with a not so dark film (which, personally, i find Magician's Nephew equally as dark as Silver Chair, but anyway…) and please the narnia fans who wish to stay in the order that the movies were going in. i really dont mind entirely which movie they make, im just leaning more towards Silver Chair, mainly because i really, REALLY want to see Will Poulter as Eustace again ;-), but as long as they keep the movies up im happy happy. i'll be praying for you guys for wisdom! thanks for all the hard work you're putting into the movies! we really truly appreciate it. i speak for all narniawebbers 🙂

• Child of Aslan says:

I wholeheartedly agree! Will Poulter was just too perfect to not get him into SC! I also could care less which order there done in, just as long as there being done!

• if they make the slver chair and i get the jill pore part i audition for then I would LOVE to act with will poulter!the perfect eustace TOTALLY!!!:))))

• Little Miss Artemis says:

I have to agree. make them at the same time.

4. Braden Woodburn says:

I took the poll and I clicked The Silver Chair to be the 4th Narnia film. Simply because it follows right after The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and also, we need to think about WILL POULTER AGING! I mean, he looked young in Dawn Treader but now I have seen recent pictures and he looks much older and mature. Grant it, Magicians Nephew would be great and is the 2nd best seller out of the series… still, I am thinking of Eustace and how he would look if we waiting too long. Although I will admit that if Magicians Nephew is next, I would love seeing Tilda Swinton reprise her role as The White Witch again as she has done with all films so far.. but this film would tell her whole story of where she is from and what her history is like before The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

5. Queen Lucy the Vailent says:

I vote sc to the max

6. MissJubilee says:

I'm for Silver Chair too, though partly just to get it out of the way. It's always been my least favorite book! It might be good to make them concurrently, getting both Jadis and Eustace before they get any older. (and then they can stop bringing her into every daggone movie!)

The thing is, you really have to keep making the core 5 without stopping just to get ages right. Then they can go back and make Horse when the actors are a litle older. Magician's should have been started as a side project right after the success of LWW since Jadis is supposed to stay the same age.

Anyway, that's been my opinion since the first movie came out. I'm glad they aren't giving up on the franchise, though they really need to do a better job with them. Don't know how that mist monster was an improvement on people being drunk or beheaded. Ugh. But I'll still go see them all!

7. Queen_Emilie says:

Definetely want the Mgician's Nephew to be next! I think it's an amazing story and it's really very magical! Lots of people will like the idea of finding out where this world NARNIA really comes from!!!!!!

8. Gleeokan says:

Man I really hope they will make SC next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. farsight-mssngr says:

The earlier they made the movie and release it, the better for the series won't have an age gap. SC might be a dark novel/film (for it's darkest of the chronicles) but we are talking about the light side of it. in the beginning and middle of it can be dark, but in the end, there is the LIGHT-HIS LIGHT!

• lea says:

i dont really see how the silver chair is all that dark as you all are making it out to be! i mean if you read the book or lissen to the ado it not that bad. It is just a adventure!

10. Cross Trainer says:

I wish people would vote based on what the franchise needs and not what they personally want to see. I would like to see the Silver Chair, and I'd like to see Will as Eustace. But If Silver Chair gets made next (like 70% of fans are voting for) and it ends up like Prince Caspian we'll be in the SAME situation gripping to our chairs and biting our nails watching the box office hoping it'll break even and then bring in enough profit to HOPEFULLY make another movie. The franchise needs a beginning, something for those who haven't seen Narnia (and we mainly want to attract THEM). If Will Poulter is sacrificed for the ENTIRE franchise to continue, well that's what they need to do and that's what should be done. Will Poulter IS NOT Narnia, he is a crucial character, but maybe the stories themselves are a bit more important? And if Fox/Walden don't do something that will draw a larger audience to the stories (i.e. the Creation/origin of all this Narnia stuff), we could end up Silver Chair (to the satisfaction of many fans) and nothing more :(.

• Anhun says:

I disagree that MN is more accessible to people who are unfamiliar with the series. A lot of MN is devoted to explaining things that happened in LWW. A number of scenes and plot points, including those that are the most interesting if you've read LWW, would seem irrelevant if you haven't. Now, I would agree that you don't need to read any of the other books to appreciate MN. I think if they make MN they need to market it as "The White Witch Story," because that's the only thing it has going for it, from a marketing perspective. Even that's dicey. People who have been following the series are used to the White Witch being used in marketing even though she has a minimal presence in the films. Basically, "The Chronicles of Narnia" have become synonymous with lame attempts to milk the success of LWW, and I don't think MN will counter that perception.

The thing about SC is that it can be read as a standalone book. In fact I know people who read it first and actually liked it the best. Eustace's character is more interesting if you've read VDT first, but, since Jill is really the central character of SC, the only thing you need to know for SC to make sense, is that Eustace has been there before, and that's explained in the intro. You don't actually need to know the details of his adventures there. I think if they make it, they should drop the "Chronicles of Narnia" part from the title, though. The brand name has been through the mud.

• Cross Trainer says:

Magician's Nephew is more marketable to those who haven't seen the series because Fox/Walden will push the whole, "In the beginning there was" "how it all started" "before there was ____, before there was ____, there was ____." I didn't say it was more accessible as far as the movie, because if they haven't seen the other movies they will not be able to connect certain dots like the lamp post or maybe even the tree being made into the wardrobe. I said it would attract more attention being that it's the starter story of the whole series.

• Anhun says:

But, why should anyone care about what happened before there was ________ , if they haven't seen ________ in the first place?

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

@anhun, your answer actually supports making MN first. LWW made 755 million, so 3x more people have seen it vs the small amt. that have seen VDT. makes more sense to describe the origins of the more popular movie.

• Anhun says:

You clearly didn't read my answer. In the same way that you don't have to read MN to understand LWW, you don't have to read VDT to understand SC. SC could and should be marketed as an interesting story in its own right.

Unlike Batman Begins, X-men first class, or Smallville, MN is an origins story that has none of the original heroes in it.

• Dylan says:

Good point, the charactes are different in MN, and I think that itis now or never for MN. I had thought that SC would be the best option right now for the series, but I think they can take a break, and kind of try to get the crowds back to the theaters, and showing the creation of Narnia is the absoulute best option. Like you pointed out, it will explain things like the lampost and all that for the people who have never read the book. I honestly think that they need to stop adding the White Witch into all the movies, which in this case it is unavoidable if you do MN. Losing Poulter is a huge risk, and if they lose him I do think that all IS lost. I dont think that any acter could replace him. As a fan, I dont care which movie they do, because I like both books. In my opinion, if they can do all the books, that would be great. I would like to see HHB made into a movie,but I think that if they do Mn, after that its just SC and LB. If they do SC, I think they are just gonna finish it up with LB.

• Anhun says:

But how would the creation of Narnia get people back in theatres, when audiences have lost interest in the Narnia franchise? Sure, there are plenty of people who would have been excited to see a prequel to LWW in the years after it came out, but those very same people came to see PC and were turned off to the franchise. American audiences will no longer show up to a movie just because its Narnia, it has to be a movie that can be marketed on its own merits.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i wouldn't say people are not interested in the franchise, i'd say they are mire offput by what has been done to them.-the books.

• Moze says:

My own selfish preference is to have "The Silver Chair" up next on the screen, because THAT'S THE ORDER I READ THEM IN (hence, "selfish"). It is one of my favorites in the series, made so by a couple of Providentially (and Cleverly) planned events that went on during my initial reading of the book 42 years ago, which tied me more closely and emotionally to it.

Having said that, I still think that "Magician's Nephew" probably ought to be made next for a number of reasons, some of which have already been mentioned in comments previous to this one:

1. "Nephew" is much more marketable to a general audience, and, seen as it is largely from Digory's and Polly's points of view as newcomers to this world, it amounts to a second "introduction to Narnia" movie–chronologically speaking, THE introduction to Narnia and, more than "The Silver Chair," more likely to lead those who have given much (if not all) the franchise a lazy miss so far to get them to head for the DVDs of those films already released and to make them more likely to go to the next movies. "The Horse and His Boy" (the book I always seem to read again after Christmas and in the dead of winter, in January, with the ice and snow, and I am in need, in my imagination, for warmer, sunnier and more exotic locales and adventures) could even wait until after "The Last Battle" is released, as an "untold adventure of the Golden Age of Narnia"–at which point the actor children will be old enough to portray themselves believably as adults–a kind of dessert to the whole series. Plus, both "Silver Chair" and "The Last Battle" are stories about Eustace and Jill in Narnia, and would keep them (if the stories were filmed one after the other) closer to the ages they need to be in those stories.

2. I agree with the above poster (sorry–I've forgotten your name) that, for the sake of the movie franchise as a whole, "Magician's Nephew" is the one to go with next. Much as I love "The Silver Chair," there is no question that it is a darker, more gruelling story, full of failures and quarrels and general personal unpleasantness between the children, as well as the long sojourn in Underworld, which would make the film literally darker (which might be a technical problem if they plan to keep up with the ill-advised 3D thing). "Nephew" takes us from one colorful location to another (even if the color scheme in Charn is more of a dull, depressive red) and shows us the creation of a world, as well as the Walled Garden which figures so prominently in "The Last Battle"–not to mention a winged horse! We got us a WINGED HORSE in that book! In fact, the book as a whole is a basket of wonders for the filmgoer whose presence at a "fantasy" movie is to see Wonders! And the contrast of the fantastic adventures in (as Digory calls it) "that other place" with the Victorian/Edwardian locations would be salutary and might even draw in some of the Poppins crowd (what one wouldn't give for a cameo by Juile Andrews as that Poppins person in a city crowd, sniffing in disdain at the antics of a Jadis gone wild in London!). (I kid, sort of!)

3. It would be a chance to re-attach the franchise to its most popular entry so far, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," by having, at the end (and maybe even behind the credits) the story of what happened after the story ended: the career of Digory Kirke, famous professor/adventurer, who took the wood from the Silver Apple Tree after a storm had blown it down, converting it into a wardrobe to be stuck into a back room to be discovered by a little girl placed in the Kirke mansion near the beginning of World War II–one could even use the elements already filmed for LWW and save a couple of bucks!

Then again, these suggestions may only serve to show why I am not in film production or film promotion!

• Anhun says:

1. The marketability of Silver Chair depends on how well they do the movie. In MN the only marketing hook they have is the White Witch. They can't market the plot because it's too convoluted to convey in a trailer. They can't market the protagonists because Polly is a foil, and Digory's character development is mostly internalized. Both are likely to be dwarfed by their surroundings for most of the film. Whereas, SC has an easily explained plot, a feisty heroine, and a unique sidekick/guide, with a lot of quirky one-liners. They also have LGK and Rilian as eye candy for older viewers.

As for the introduction to Narnia, in SC, Jill is new to Narnia, and in the book we live through her joy of discovery. The film should have a similar effect. MN isn't nearly as interesting if you don't already know about Narnia.

HHB has to come before LB. It provides the back story on the Calormenes. As for the children's ages, the three older kids are already old enough to be in HHB. Georgie, at 16, could be styled to look old enough even if they filmed HHB next.

SC and LB are supposed to take place 7 years apart, so I'm not sure what you mean by making them back-to-back for the sake of the kids' ages(?).

• Little Miss Artemis says:

Wow, you guys are great debaters.

• Anhun says:

2. Special Effects can not sell a movie single-handedly any more, not in the all-important American market anyway. The flops and breakout successes of the past year bear this out. Also, movie marketing campaigns that I've seen suggest that Hollywood is getting wise to this. A TV spot for Thor included a clip of him walking down the street in normal clothes looking pensive. Half of the online trailer was devoted to character moments not special effects moments. Much of the TV spots for Fast 5 focused on shots of the cast standing around looking like they were enjoying themselves. People want characters and/or concepts that they can invest in emotionally. Even if the movie is marketed as a diverting thrill ride, rather than deep, thoughtful material, people want to see characters that they would want to join on a thrill ride. MN plot and character development leave audiences with very little that they can hook into emotionally.

Now, in non-native English speaking countries, special effects can still sell a movie on their own. So MN would probably be a lot easier to market in those countries, and will get better word of mouth. If SC is next, marketing in those countries needs to focus on special effects moments like dodging the giants, floating over the sea, flying on owls, the snow dance, the glowing forest, the silver chair wrapping it's tendrils around Rilian's arms, maybe a back-shot of the witch turning into a snake.

• Cross Trainer says:

Yeah. Prince Caspian set a bad vibe over Narnia for so many people. If they do their best with the production and let fans know that MN will be as good as LWW (or maybe even better) it'd rekindle the fire. It's like starting with a climax, the creation of it all. Then we can do a downhill rush towards the battle/excitement and get right into all the grit and action of Silver Chair, HHB and especially the Last Battle.

11. reepicheeps archer says:

I really hope they make SC next They have to bring Eustace back!

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

Amen to SC!!! And Eustace!! But I'll still enjoy MN if they make it instead. Though I would prefer the SC since it is one of my top favorites. 😉 🙂

• lea says:

i think they should do the sc and lb now because they have to bring everyone (except susan) back in those two movies. in the horse and his boy and the magicians nephew they can use two new people.

• Anhun says:

First of all LB has to be last because it relies on all of the other books for back story. Secondly, the Pevensie are supposed to be adults in LB, so we don't have to worry about their aging for a long time. As for Eustace and Jill, that's complicated because it depends on whether or not they replace Eustace in SC. Thirdly, they are out of their minds if they spend good money on a film production of a children's book in which everyone dies in the end. I think it makes a lot more sense to do a cartoon version of LB and include it in the box set of the Chronicles series.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i'd love to see a faithful animated adaptation of all seven chronicles. maybe with computers now instead of hand drawings they could get it done fast.

12. Prince Caspian wasn't a dark book… they made the movie extremely dark in spite of the book. I mean, it was about as dark as The Last Battle should be, but it wasn't a good kind of dark. And I've never thought of Silver Chair as dark until they go underground. Good grief, if Mr. Flaherty and the rest don't even understand the books, then why are they even making them into movies?

• Dylan says:

The PC movie was dark in a sense, but Ithink that SC is pretty dark. Lewis basically set a dark tone in the book. THe book was dark BEFORE they even went underground. You have an old Caspian going to sea searching for his son (who nobody has seen in years). Even the names of the characters ( GLIMfeather, PuddleGLUM)sound depressing. Over all, this has got to be the darkest book of all the Chronicles.

• Cross Trainer says:

Agreed. One of the darkest parts for me in Silver Chair was before they went underground. The giants seemed a bit creepy. Not even in the sense that they were going to cook the children, but there was just something very sinister about how Lewis built those scenes. After Googling Will Poulter, he does seem to have an unchanging boyish appearance. It might not be too late for him, but his voice will probably change. Maybe if they do decide to do Magician's Nephew next they can make Silver Chair and HHB at the same time (I doubt that HHB will have a very expensive production budget) so that Will can come back and finish his role. Might be wishful thinking, but I'm far from a wet blanket XD.

• Anhun says:

Will Poulter's voice had already changed when they filmed VDT.

• Cross Trainer says:

Okay? And by the time they shoot Last Battle it'll most likely have changed again. Lol

• Dylan says:

Ya, the giants were a bit creepy.I wonder what they will make them like in the movie( if they do it).By the time that they do LB Poulter will be a totally different person. Just loook at how much Skandar Keyes changed while playing Edmund.

• Anhun says:

I though Skandar was too old for the part starting in PC. He looks older than Anna!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

stories are only as dark as you depict them, they could choose to make the giants look like shrek if they wanted to. this is a bunch of media fluff he is spouting. he just is trying to plug the idea of MN next, i think.

• Dylan says:

I still dont get why he keeps blaming the low sales due to christmas time. Hello? LWW was released the during christmas. I remember going opening night, and the theater was PACKED. Plenty of people put aside shopping for Narnia, this time they didnt. He needs to get a clue, I think these are such lousy excuses.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

yeah, i would blame it more on the blizzard that weekend. although the biggest problem was the abysmal advertising campaign.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

the ugly, drab poster didn't help either. they corrected that with the beautiful dvd cover.

13. Seiko says:

Silver Chair is what the franchise needs. A chronological sequel to Voyage Of The Dawn Threader, which made 417 mil on a 140-155 mil budget. It can be made on a 130mil budget, and will involve some quite interesting, stand out scenes, like the part with the giants (has to be showcased in the trailer). It being "dark" has nothing to do with it. It's how much it'll stand out, if it will be released not with 10 other movies (poor Prince Caspian), and not too much deviation from the source material (the fans are a big part here whether they want to admit it or not).
    Magicians Nephew is excellent too but it can wait until after the Caspian story is concluded.
    Hopefully this last battle won't end in Walden Media and Fox breaking off their relationship, otherwise New Line or Universal will have to take over.
    I vote for Zach Synder to direct because he likes to adapt things directly, he would make almost no alterations to either story, I don't know if he'd do somewhat religious fantasy though.

• Seiko says:

Oh, and thank god they have no intentions of skipping SC or MN and doing The Last Battle or something. I hope Michael Apted directs that one and makes a bunch of changes to it.

*Michael Apted directed the World Is Not Enough and Voyage Of The Dawn Threader, and they both were excellent movies.

• Patrick says:

I agree that Michael Apted is a decent director, but I don't think that he is exactly good for Narnia; Dawn Treader was far from a good movie. I am really hoping that Andrew Adamson returns to direct some future Narnia films.

• Anhun says:

See, I'm not so sure about Andrew Adamson. When I was watching PC, I got the feeling that Adamson was genuinely trying to make a great movie. But without readily adaptable source material like LWW, he just didn't know how to go about it.

• Dylan says:

I think that Adamson should come back. I think he is honestly the best joice they have. He did an amazing job on LWW and a, eh, all-right version of PC. I would love to see him do Silver Chair or Magicians Nephew

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

adamson's films had a nicer look to them, VDT seems like an imposter to me.

• Seiko says:

I preferred that the third looked very different. We don't need every movie to look exactly the same. That is what is wrong with the recent Harry Potter movies. They all look blue. I hope Silver Chair or The Magician's Nephew have a greener look and lots of colors and never look like the recent installments of that series.

• Dylan says:

Magicians Nephew would be a very green movie, but SC probably would look blue, but that all depends on how they decide to adapt the book into a film.

• Anhun says:

I think a rainbow is the way to go for SC. SC should have contrasting moments of darkness and light, like the interweaving themes of hope and despair (and not unlike the tone of LWW). The grimness of experiment house in a grey fall, contrasted with the sunny yellow, or yellow-green of Aslan's country, a land of indefinable joy especially compared to EH; then there's the brown of the court saying goodbye to their beloved king on an autumn day, then the fire-side red of a merry evening at Cair Paravel, and the children's delight in this newly discovered world (remember even Eustace is new to Cair Paravel); the dark blue mystery and suspense of the Parliament of Owls; the crisp, refreshing medium green of Marshwiggle country (I posted a picture of it on the forum) . . . the list goes on.
        Basically, I don't think a uniform tone would do the book or it's complex themes justice.

• Dylan says:

Kind of how LWW kept alternating the tone of the movie, even though it was mostly green. The refreshing medium green of the marshes, I thought it would be more like a yellowish grey color.

• Anhun says:

Yellow-grey? What does that look like? It doesn't sound very invigorating, which is how Lewis described marshwiggle country.

Here's my pic of marshwiggle land:

• Dylan says:

I still dont know about that one. I always thought of it more like a swamp.

• Anhun says:

It's a marsh, and a marsh is a type of swamp (according to the dictionary anyway).

• Dylan says:

Then marshes are the color of swamps. Gee, why do we have to argue over the color of a marsh.

• Anhun says:

I didn't realize we were arguing. I was explaining my visualization of marshwiggle country (similar to a Scottish marsh) and you were (not) explaining yours. When you say "more like a swamp" I think you mean muddier, but I'm not sure.

• Dylan says:

Whatever, muddier explains it a little bit better. Google pics of marshes, and youll see what I mean by yellowish grey.

• Arvan says:

I know what you mean. Like the Dead Marshes of LOTR.

• Dylan says:

Yes, more like those, only without the dead bodies and ghosts.

14. Patrick says:

How come no one ever mentions them making HHB? I think it would be the best one they could do. It is by far the most exciting of all of them…

True that

• Dylan says:

I would like to see what they make Tashbaan look like. Lewis so vividly describes it, and I think it wouldnt be that hard to make. I love the stoyline, and overall, its got to be one of the best books in the series. I love the name of it too, Horse and His Boy, it sounds very cool.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

HHB would make a gorgeous movie, like a live action Alladin. (now am i forgiven, patrick?):)

• Not Of This World says:

I want HHB too!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Aslan's #1 fan says:

I'm sure Will Poulter will do fine if they make MN or SC. Hollywood has been doing this for a while so I'm sure they will have a few tricks under their sleeves. And besides isn't Will 18? If so then we have nothing to worry about since he is basically over the voice changing stage. And if he looked older, so what? He's supposed to be a year older in SC anyway. And I think Apted did fine, he is a good director and even though the movie didn't go with book at least you could see his heart was in it, unlike Adams in PC. VDT was a very complicated story to unfold in my opinion but if they change MN or SC a lot than they have NO excuse. But I'll still go see them and enjoy them but I won't defend Apted if those are done wrong. And MN being light and cheerful more SC? I guess to an point but I read the MN when I was a young child and I thought it was the scariest of the series. Dark magic from Atlantis and the Witch isn't dark? Huh. In my opinion the SC and LB are much lighter than MN. MN will be cool granted but they still should have a dark sinister touch that was in the book. Well…that my opinion, does anyone else have one? 😉

16. narniafan16 says:

I hope they decide to do Silver Chair!!!!! 🙂

17. Gandalfs Beard says:

IO: What do you think went on? Why do you think it was so slow?
    MF: “People are just so busy at Christmas time. And we in Hollywood are so ego-centric. We feel like everyone can just drop everything they have, all their family commitments, all their Christmas commitments and dedicate themselves to seeing a movie on opening day."

I don't mean to be mean, but really, this statement is rubbish.

The main problem is that at Christmas time a lot of studios put out family friendly special effects blockbusters. You really need a strong Hook to compete and grab people's attention.

The competition included:
    Harry Potter: Global BO $954,501,070
    Tangled: Global BO $590,571,371
    Tron: Legacy: Global BO $400,062,763
    Megamind: Global BO $321,494,448
    Yogi Bear: Global BO $201,584,141

Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Global BO $414,686,950

All in all, considering the competition, VotDT did very well, coming in at third place. Personally, I thought VotDT was a strong film; perhaps not as fresh as LWW, but at least as good as PC (which I also liked).

18. farsight-mssngr says:

If they will make "The Magician's Nephew" next, unfamiliar Narnia fans and movie viewers will be confused on where and who are Digory and Polly. But the movie will be great in marketing cause it talks about the creation.
    If "The Silver Chair" next, it will be better for it's really next right after VDT. But is WILL POULTER good for EUSTACE? many fans want to replace WILL POULTER for EUSTACE's character, others accepts WILL for EUSTACE.

• wolfloversk says:

Really? I've only heard the opposite… The fans are desperate to keep Will P in the series because there are rumours going around that the production crew might recast him since he's gone through a heavy growth spurt since VDT.

• farsight-mssngr says:

Oh sorry just I thought of that. But Will Poulter is really great for Eustace's character. He's a very good actor! But the production team shouldn't change any of the characters for all of them are really great and best-fit for their Narnian characters!

• stateofgreen says:

I'm getting used to the idea that it might be better artistically and book faithfully to recast Eustace and keep the bullying idea of Silver Chair in. Unless they find the most unique way to keep Will and adapt SC to make it believable and gripping as a story and cast a strong actress as Jill then I don't know if there's any hope of it being good.

• Anhun says:

I think they could manage it either way, but I think replacing Will would make the adaptation process a lot easier.

• Maddi says:

YES!!!! I think that Will is probably one of the best 'Eaustace's' that you could get… except he puffs his nose too much. LOL 🙂

19. farsight-mssngr says:

I just mad a page in Facebook for us Narnians!!!
    Narnian Chronicles is the page in facebook! pls visit my page! tnx Narnia fans!

20. allalea says:

Personally, I think that in a way all of the Narnia books are dark. However, it is the fact that light wins through no matter what that makes them great. No matter how evil the circumstance is the Narnian characters nearly always turn to the way that Aslan wants them to live.

21. Queen C The Gentle says:

I'm getting a lot of inspiration from these different films and books, Narnia, Twilight, Vampire Diaries, and more…Right now I'm working on Eternity of Love which deals w/ a war about to begin but i don't who yet, there will be a sacrifice of a vampire and werewolf.

The only returning characters from my series will be:
    Adam(human)
    Grace(werewolf+Adam's girlfriend)
    Raven(vampire+Adam's childhood friend)
    Jared(vampire+Raven's lover)

So Adam must find a way for the vampires and werewolves to work together to end this conflict b/w them and he must finally choose b/w Raven+Grace

It will be a little tougher to write, it's kinda like Twilight.

I haven't come up for a name of my series, here's the list:
    1.Hearts of Destinies
    2.Desire to Protect
    3.Ring of Gods
    3.The Next Guardian Part 1 & 2
    4.Eternity of Love
    5.Returned Souls

• Not Of This World says:

I hope you take no offence to this, but I just don't get the whole vampire thing. To me it seems kinda evil.

• Dylan says:

And just flat out disgusting.

• Cross Trainer says:

I think Edmund would have been in charge of slaying vampires…had there been any in Narnia.

🙂 Edmond the Just slays the witchcraft! 🙂

Lol

• Dylan says:

Now I think we are just hurting her feelings

• Cross Trainer says:

Whoops. Hope it didn't come off the wrong way. Vampires remind me of those bald, brown winged creatures from LWW during the sacrifice/battle scenes and Nosferatu. Not so much of Ed Cullen or the Twilight gang being attacked by the Pevensies. Still a major contrast between the undead and Narnian knights, though. But the adventure could be inspiring.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i read that vampirsim was written as an insult/inversion/mockery of christianity. that's why the vampire feeds on blood vs christ GIVING his blood, etc.

• Cross Trainer says:

Oh wow…I'm going to look that up that's sickening.

• Not Of This World says:

Oh my gosh! That's disgusting! That made me dislike Twilight that much more. Vampires aren't just witchcraft, it's a mockery of my Savior :-C

• Not Of This World says:

Can you provide a link that says that HQ Shelly Belly?

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

@not: i'll try to remember, i read so much it's hard to recall, probably under anti twilight type articles. i just now found my harry potter critiques way after the debate elsewhere ended. : (

It's fine HQSB, I found a site saying that. I'll post the link later 🙂

• Not Of This World says:

Didn't work. Serch on google: VAMPIRE and CHRISTIAN and click on the first website that comes up. Make sure it's CBN.com (Christian Broadcasting Network). Sorry about that!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

the best article i read was a literary analysis, had about 10 points it explained, another point was christ rose from the dead, vs dracula has his own demented form of resurection when he rises from the dead every night, something like that. i'm sure i archived the article somewhere………looking……not cbn but i do believe their articles are good

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

louisiana state university lecture notes on dracula – google it, also dracula and religion, googl it

• Queen C The Gentle says:

It's not only about vampires…in DOP+EOL there are vampires only 2 though. Mostly it deals with demons more about humans and a little about different types of gods(good+evil, i'm just making this stuff up as i go along)

• Dylan says:

OK,the mocking of christiantity thing makes me want to barf. I always thought that stuff was nasty and gross, but thats just crossses the line. Besides, Queen C Gentle, gods, werewolves, vampires, I think this sounds more like evil vs evil instead of evil vs good. Its alright if you want to write a cool fantasy book, but please dont make it dishonering to God.

• Queen C The Gentle says:

Fine then who do you think i should make it? And besides these are different types of gods who lead them through the path of light or good whatever u want to call it.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

it's ok to have evil characters, it's just that they should be defeated in the end. not like today where the evil characters are made to look cooler and more sympathetic, and then they can craftily slide their way into people's sympathies. That's the real danger, the creeping in of evil into people's hearts, catching them off guard.

Use Wookiees!!! 🙂

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

Does everybody remember when NarniaWeb was actually supposed to be discussions about Narnia?*rolls eyes* Sorry, but I think the purpose of NarniaWeb is Narnia, not some vampire romance thing.

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

Cool!!! I love fantasy books!
      Hum…I would pick "Returned Souls" or "Hearts of Destinies". I can't help much since I haven't read the book but those names sound cool!!!!

P.S. I write books too, fellow writer!!!

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

And yes We should keep the subject on Narnia.
        And as a fellow writer to another just keep your book God Glorifying, like all Christian authors have to learn. 🙂

• Queen C The Gentle says:

Thank you. I'm just getting a lot of inspiration from Narnia. I wonder what else I could come up with… If u like to know what each story is about please let me know.

• I'm sorry Queen C, I admire your drive for success, but the whole Vampire/Werewolf thing is just not origional. In my local Schuler's book store there is a whole wall of vapire/werewolf novels. They're just not appealing anymore. I think you'd have better luck with a more origional storyline. 🙂

22. Moonwood says:

I am now realizing that Flaherty isn't the 'brightest star in the sky'. Too bad, I think the franchise is stuck with him in mediocrity.
    Flaherty's Lion is very much a tame Lion…

23. Seiko says:

Poor Flaherty gets to be the guy who says stupid, manipulative things to try to present "reason" to every decision. I doubt he really wanted to say that thing about the one-third sales or whatever, which made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

• Arvan says:

I like your view. It means Flaherty isn't as dumb as he appears. Cause I don't like to think that about him.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

it;s just professional and good business sense to put a positive spin on things in your business. Ya gotta keep up an upbeat front in show biz or you get your crtics jumping on you more.

24. farsight-mssngr says:

Narnia 4 is not yet finalized this means the next movie can be far from 2010's VDT. If they will release Narnia 4 in 2013, Narnia 5 will be in 2015/2016 then Narnia six will be in 2017/2018 and Narnia 7 will be in 2019/2020.
    This will have a big age gap for the chronicles. I think they must make 2 Narnia films in a same year(one is in summer then countinues in winter).
    Narnia production team should finalize the next movie before the 'BER' month begins!
    It's better if they will make the entire chronicles in the BIG-SCREEN!

• Just Queen, not High Queen says:

I agree! I think they should film 2 Narnia films back-to-back.

• Cross Trainer says:

Exactly. They should film Horse and His Boy along with something else, since HHB will no doubt be the lowest budget movie.

• Just Queen, not High Queen says:

I was actually thinking that they do SC and MN back-to-back since it's between those two that they're trying to decide on doing next.

• Anhun says:

They're having trouble scraping together the funding for 1 Narnia movie, they certainly can't afford two.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

I can't believe Harry Potter was done in 10 years- and they were making them while the books were still being written. Why are they going so slow with books that have been available for 50 years? there should have been a new movie every year like they originally planned. (Although i realize that writer's strike in 2008 really threw things off)

• Not Of This World says:

Does that mean (as long as there's no writers strike) Narnia 4 will come out faster then VDT???

• Dylan says:

I had know idea that there was a writers strike. Well that explains it a little bit.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

2008 there was a strike i think for a year, then violence with gang wars an d guns broke out in mexico right before filimng was to start, then they had to change locations, that took another 6 months, i think. meanwhile the kids are sprouting up like beanpoles….

25. grsully says:

I didn't read all of the posts on here so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's views. But from what I have read, I can't say as to whether I really care which film gets done next. MN is my favorite of all the books so I've been waiting since LWW to see it come to life… afraid all the while that we'd basically be stuck with the same 4 movies all over again (that BBC already released so many years ago). Not that I mind, I grew up on those and still love them (puppets, 80's effects, and all). But it would be really nice to see ALL of them done, which was the original plan.

I just can't believe how idiotic they're being about "Why" the last two movies didn't do as well as LWW. Seriously, if you'd stick to the classic story that's already there that people already love, you'd have more of a winner! I would've seen Caspian repeatedly had it not made me so angry… Dawn Treader was better, but I still haven't rushed out to buy it. As for Flaherty saying that Caspian is the darkest book, this makes me wonder if he ever really read it (or the rest of the series). I can see how Silver Chair can be considered dark (and not just because of the underground issue), but it is no-where near the darkest to me. The Last Battle is obviously the darkest of all the books (above ground or not) because it lacks Aslan till the end.

Maybe I'm just on a rant because I'm worried they won't finish making them all now… but I'm sure many of you (if not all) will agree that it just plain sucks that they didn't plan them more like Lord of the Rings (filmed together) and keep putting off doing more because they can't seem to decide things timely enough. All the while the kids are growing up and the fans keep waiting and waiting, hoping that one day we might actually get to see these films done (true to form).

Someday, when I start my own production company called: "Do It Right Productions" I will pursue bringing these books, along with so many others, to life sticking as close to the books as possible. Till then, however, I'll sit and watch others mutilate some of my favorite literature. Since this is more of a dream than a reality though, if you like the idea and have the opportunity, take it… just promise to stick to the idea as whole and not give in to Hollywood compromising.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

the CS lewis estate decided back in 2001 to bring Narnia to the secular audience. They intentionally decided to defang the new movies of it's christian undertone to bring it to a wider audience. Now you see the results of trying to rewrite a series which is very christian at its core. Baffling decisions and twisted plots. It would not surprise me to find out that the CS Lewis estate handlers were not christians or against christianity. Douug Gresham has stated publicly he'd like to see Narnia dragged out of the christian ghetto, and enjoyed by everyone. That means he is willing, to a certain extent, to tolerate the dechistianizing of the series just to bring it "up to date"and more palatable to the supposedly more secular audiences of today. He has to pick his battles. I6t would have been nice to see a faithful adaptaion, I think it would have been more successsful, actually.

• grsully says:

I completely agree. It's very sad the way they'd like to pull Christianity out of it. Thankfully, I think Lewis wrote the books in such a way as to make it difficult to completely pull it out. Guess that's why they keep feeling the need to re-write the stories for the movies.

• Dylan says:

Absolutley, I thought that it should have been more cleverly planned, and they need to be made closer to the book. I mean seroisly, look at the last two movies and how they were not even CLOSE to the books. I think Lewis would be very dissapointed at how the franchise is doing lately, and how annoying Flahertys excuses are. I think they need a change in directing, they need Adamsom back for SC/MN. And I will be very very very angry if they mess up on this next one.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

yeah, fleshing things out creatively is great, i liked the scenes adding in susan and peter in vdt-it was especially great seeing peter acting like himself again and smiling like in lww. totally CHANGING plots is absurd because no one in hollywood today can come close to lewis' genius. soul swallowing mists? it is inferior to the original material. people in the US are not as antichristian as the media portrays. stick to the original plot and the movies will be successful. like LWW.

• Dylan says:

I would like it if people like Flaherty just would accept the fact that the last two movies were, compared to the book, really bad. And thats why LWW was a fan fav, because it was close to the book. Well, LWW would be a fan fav anyways, because it is the most widly known of the books. But that is not an excuse for PC and VDT doing badly.

26. Aslan16 says:

In my opinion, they should do horse and his boy next.The silver chair is the second to last in the series. And the horse and his boy is the third book. You don't want to do silver chair, and then going back to the horse and his boy. If you do that the characters will be to old. After you do the horse and his boy, the silver chair can be next, and then do the magician's nephew. Even though the Magician's nephew tells how narnia became to be, you wouldn't have to worry about the character's ages, because you would have a new cast except for jadis.

• Cross Trainer says:

Very good points. If they had (or have) the funds they should film Horse and His Boy while they're filming the next movie, or right after the profits from Narnia 4 come in. That way the ages aren't so off and Williams Moseley won't be like 40 in Last Battle.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

that will be so weird seeing them all grown up for real. this series is taking so long they'll all be on medicare by the time it's done.

• Dylan says:

Ya, but who would play Proffessor Kirke in Last Battle, I thought the guy who played him in LWW was good, and whos sayin hes gonna be able to still act by then (around 2019???. If they make the Last Battle???). The whole entire project is so up in the air its kinda like, whos sayin there will be another Narnia after SC/MN (if they decide on which movie to make)

27. farsight-mssngr says:

The Magician's Nephew or The Horse and His Boy is better to be next. For I think it's better if they make Slver Chair then Last Battle. But for instance, if they make either MN or HHB next, it's too far away from the chronology. But, it's better if they make SC and LB as their final 2 movies, I think it would be better. SC-dark and enchantment rules. Then LB-end of the chronicles. Just I said it's better if they make 2 movies in a same year.

28. claireyy says:

they should make more narnia films, like i really want the orginal actors to play their roles, but they are growing up fast : )

29. lea says:

I just hope they make all the books into movies. I think the HHB would be a great one to release next or even the sc. Some of the darkness would be taken away with good old puddleglum!!

30. Elwin Daniels says:

I say-make them all, make them in CSL's preferred order AND THEN make the cosmic trilogy starting with Out of the Silent Planet, then Voyage to Venus, and finally That Hideous Strength.

• Dylan says:

I love those books, and Out of the Silent Planet would make an amazing movie. I thought that Perelandra was a little boring, but I think it would be really good if they had the right special effects, and it was a very big budget movie. The only question though is who would be willing to take on a project like that, and who would direct it. I hope somebody does those books though.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i wish they would make the screwtape letters as a big movie too.

31. Seiko says:

At the very least, I know am happy the ones up for consideration are "The Silver Chair" and "The Magician's Nephew," being my next two favorites next to "The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe" and "Voyage Of The Dawn Threader."

32. narnian says:

greenlight the movie already!!!!!!!!1 can't wait any-longer!!!!! 20 fox!!! what are u waiting!!!

33. farsight-mssngr says:

narnian chronicles in facebook. pls like it. it's for us narnians!

34. farsight-mssngr says:

It's better if they film two Narnia movies in a same year. Narnia is one of the GREATEST and BEST films ever made for it shows us the Love of God and His Light.
    Silver Chair might be the darkest of the chronicles, but in the end of the story, they accomplished their mission and Aslan shows them the light.
    Further Up and Further In! Let's all hope that the whole Chronicles of Narnia will be made into movies. They should start casting and producing Narnia 4. Let's not loose hope, Aslan's (Jesus') there and He will save Narnia films and one day the Film will be Box-office again!

35. C. Alexander says:

I think if they made MN, it could be the last one…. whereas If they made Silver Chair, they could have a bit more future for the franchise (specially now that Harry is out of the way)…

36. Cross Trainer says:

Does anyone have an extra $800,000,000 we can borrow to help get these last few movies out of the way? Kthanks :).

• PuddleCheep says:

If I won 5 million dollars,I would use 4 million to back up SC! But you know, if some big, influencial movie star or someone else big in media (Ophra anyone?) would put their money with Fox/Walden to make the rest of the Narnian films, we'd see all the books on the big screen by 2018!

• Not Of This World says:

I do! (Just let me go and get the Monopoly box . . . 🙂 )

You have $800 mil in monopoly money? :O

• freshynfs says:

I have a $1 million dollar bill with the Statue of Liberty on it that I'll donate to the cause =D

LOL – I was just teasing 🙂

• Praying Pevensie says:

I have eightysix dollars and sixty four cents !

I had to sell my mustang mare……
        I also could go get it in the Farm-opoly box !

37. always narnian says:

Prince Caspian is NOT a dark book! The movie was, but it wasn't anything like the book, soo…..

• Maddi says:

Yeah, Capian in the book was blonde… and happy… def. not dark. (Sorry Ben B.) 🙂

38. ajSilver X says:

I just made a page in facebook where I will put the latest of Narnia 4. pls visitt it and like it.

39. farsight-mssngr says:

Can't even wait to see Narnia 4 in the big-sreen. Start casting,and start to write a script. Just thinking, there should be a fund to make Narnia 4 better! Let's help the Narnia production team to make Narnia 4 even better!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

it wouldn't take so long if they would just use the freaken book for the script, instead of dreaming up a totally new unrelated plot then calling it by a narnia book title. {sarcasm}

• freshynfs says:

I heard in an interview a short time ago that when John Huston (a classic director for those that don't know) was going to direct The Maltese Falcon he gave the book to his secretary or screenwriter and said type this up. The script was written in 2 weeks and the film stuck very close to the original material. The maltese Falcon ended up being very succesfull and a major hit, its too bad people in Hollywood can't do this today, how much better Narnia could have been.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

that is so cool. the problem is these people decide FOR US WHAT "WE" want to see. says who? or such and such wouldn't look good onscreen… blah blah. I'd rather see a faithful adaptation of a hit than a whitewashed version that is so unrelated.

• Anhun says:

I think freshynfs is on to something with the Maltese Falcon analogy. They need to cast Humphrey Bogart as Puddleglum!

40. Cross Trainer says:

is that possible? to help raise money for the films and send it to the producers?

• Cross Trainer says:

I'm sure FOX/Walden would feel sorry for us and want to give us a hand, lol.

41. decarus says:

In conclusion. I think if they make MN as the next film it will be completely different then the book.

• Dylan says:

I really hope not,that would ruin the series for me.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

yeah, like the creator of the universe will not be found to be the emperor- over- the- sea,and aslan—–but oprah winfrey assisted by eckhart tolle. {sarcasm}

42. Aslan's #1 fan says:

Well guys, just be positive about the next movie. They had an okay excuse for changing the story like they did in VDT but in PC they had no excuse. If FOX or WALDEN have learned their lesson they will stay with the book with what ever movie is next! They should know better by now though I don't blame them for VDT. But that's my opinion. 😉

• Dylan says:

Well, they kinda needed to add some plot for VDT, cause there was really no exciting, edge of your seat plot for the book.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

the problem is movies of today can't be gentle and intelligent about searching for heaven. they have to be about bashing a monster's head in.

• Anhun says:

Are you saying I don't actually have to slay a sea-serpent?! My world just turned upside down. :O

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

I totally agree with you there Dylan! Yes they should have gone with the book more but I enjoyed it MUCH better than PC. It at least stayed with the spirit of the story with Eustace and all (granted some would disagree with me and that's fine). So cheer to Narnia 4 (what ever you are)!!!
        🙂

• Dylan says:

It did stay with the spirit of the book, and was a ton better then Prince Caspian. I loved the special effects in VDT, and over all it did make for a very beutifull movie. Maybe the searching for heaven thing was a little absent, but overall it was a good movie. I think it would have been a little better if Disney had stayed on the project, and Adamson was directing. I agree with you in that they really brought out Eustaces character(what can I say, they picked the right acter). The only thing that didnt hit quite home for me was you dindt see much of the change of Eustace the human, because he was normal only at the end of the movie.

43. At least Silver Chair has a legit storyline compared to VDT where the just sail all over the place. And there are a ton of new characters in SC, and pretty much a whole new world. I think the Emerald Witch would be cool to see.

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

Amen to that Queen!! The Silver Chair is my second to the favorite int the series. Granted it's darker than PC but thats how the story goes and that's what makes it very cool. And the Emerald Witch will be a breathe of fresh air compared to the white witch…the white witch…the witch…The Emerald Witch that becomes a HUGE snake (common isn't it cool)!I will love MN but I will LOVE SC much more if they do it right. Even if they don't go with the book all the way I will try to enjoy it. 🙂

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

Amen to that Queen!! The Silver Chair is my second to the favorite int the series. Granted it's darker than PC but that's how the story goes and that's what makes it very cool. And the Emerald Witch will be a breathe of fresh air compared to the white witch…the white witch…the witch…The Emerald Witch that becomes a HUGE snake (common isn't it cool)!I will love MN but I will LOVE SC much more if they do it right. Even if they don't go with the book all the way I will try to enjoy it. 🙂

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

Whoops about the repeat! Lol!
        🙂 😉

• Praying Pevensie says:

What is it with everyone giving PC the cold shoulder ?

I LOVE THAT MOVIE !! Except the part where the that wolf guy comes out !

44. kuora katos says:

I prefer the silver chair to be the next movie

45. Queen C The Gentle says:

I would like for them to do MN+HB this year then Sc at least by next year.I LOVED VDT, why did it have to be so emotional at the end? And LWW+PC were good also. I really am going to miss the siblings.

• Aslan's #1 fan says:

Putting emotion in VDT's end made it bittersweet like the book. I mean even if they didn't make it emotional you'd still be feeling sad anyway so why not amp it up a little? And there something grand about the torch being passed to Eustace. But at the same time I will miss the siblings too. And for the next movie…do SC and then MN after. Followed by HB and then the Biggest Finale ever…The Last Battle! Please Fox and Walden, please…

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

I MISS THE PEVENSIES! to me they ARE narnia!!

• Anhun says:

Probably because you saw the movies first. I actually didn't like the Pevensies as they were portrayed in the books. Peter and Susan had barely any presence or personality. Lucy was a sickening goody-goody. Edmund was tolerable, but not nearly as interesting as Eustace, Jill, Puddleglum, Shasta, Aravis, Bree, and Digory. I don't even own copies of LWW or PC. Granted, I think part of the problem is that I don't feel Lewis really hit his stride as a children's author until VDT. The writing in LWW and PC was very thin and business-like, and that affected the character development. The writing in the later books was more fleshed out. It still left a lot open to speculation and imagination, but I felt that was part of it's power.

• Dylan says:

I think that Edmund was really the only character in LWW that was described a lot. Peter and Susan talked like every other page, and you didnt quite get a good picture of the character. Lucy shouldve been descriped more then she was. Over all you are very right in the fact that the later books were much more descriptive than the earlier books.

46. ak says:

I can understand that they're worried about Silver Chair being a dark movie, but it's got a much more cohesive plot in my opinion than Prince Caspian (mind you, I actually like both the book and movie of Prince Caspian). Silver Chair is, in a way, a culmination of the best plot elements of the other books – a journey through various different lands, character development/self discovery, a clear villain, and a clear ending. The darkness of the story is very magical, not political like Prince Caspian (which maybe bored some of its target audience). The parts that happen IN the dark/underground, are really interesting and exciting.

Personally, I found it one of the better-paced stories of the series. I'm just concerned that switching to Magician's Nephew (which I also really enjoyed & hope to see on the big screen, but seemed pretty random at times) would feel like an interruption in the story, especially with the concern over actor ages.

Also, I really want to see the transformation of the Lady into the snake done believably. While I enjoyed the BBC version, the Rilian fighting a carnival prize was a little anticlimactic.

• Anhun says:

Lol, at "Rilian fighting a carnival prize." That's exactly how I felt about that part.

I agree that SC is much more magical than PC. I also think they can address the dark moments by taking advantage of the moments of brightness to create a dark/bright pattern, and making the darkness mysterious and suspenseful, rather than just gloomy. I remember feeling the sense of mystery in reading the Underland section. Where are they going? What's up with the shuffling gnome creatures on the docks? Who is the goofball in black?

47. Ben says:

PLEASE MAKE THE NEXT NARNIA FILM BECAUSE HARRY POTTER WILL BE FINISHED BY THEN AND NARNIA WILL START TO BECOME THE MAIN FEATURE!!! DO IT DO IT

48. farsight-mssngr says:

Does anyone of you realized that Narnia always have a great competitors when they are in the big-screen?
    1.)The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.- against Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
    2.)Prince Caspian.-against Iron Man and Indiana Jones.
    3.)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.- against Tron Legacy
    4.)The Silver Chair/The Magician's Nephew.-against The Hobbit and Avatar 2 (If possible)

I just want to say that Narnia films are likely to be off cause too many competitors are there. But having a big competitors in the big-screen means the movie is epic and great.
    Narnia 4 or The Hobbit?
    I think it's Narnia's time to rise up again after two falls in the big-screen.
    So start casting and filming the earlier the better! For Narnia!

• Praying Pevensie says:

Wow ! Cool down there lightning….

I mean, Isn't that what all the people say before they become villians ? I think it is time for the Christian movies to make a humble stand. Like, Have you seen the Movie Facing the Giants ? Fireproof ? Flywheel ? AWESOME CHRISTIAN MOVIES ! I think those are the movies that should be on the big screen since they won't get carried away !

• farsight-mssngr says:

Yeah I agree with you. Narnia film should show more christian reflections cause the books were really based in the Bible.

Thanks,

I like that one movie called "The secrets of Jonathan Sperry." And far as radio, for everyone:

Yune into KCMI at 4:00 nebraska time for Weekday sonshine ! A kids program.

KCMI 96.9 FM-Scottsbluff, terry town, gering NE
        KCMI 93.5-Sydney, NE
        KCMI- 99.1-Rushville

49. Jill_pole says:

For me I'm being led both ways..on 1 hand i think they NEED to do MN Simply for the fact that SC is such a dark book and MN is a really (bright) Book and its got charecters weve never before seen in narnia (except aslan)But on the other hand Theres SC Which if Will Poulter doesnt start the movie ASAP then he will be WAY to old to play the part of a 9 year old when hes 18 and by the time they start and finish the movie hell be 19-20! and im really looking forward to seeing what jill pole looks like! But then thats the same with Polly And Diggory…But i think im leaning more to MN 😀

• Praying Pevensie says:

Please don't take this offesovely.. ok ?

ACTORS IN NARNIA I LIKE :
      Will ________
      Simon Pegg
      Skandar Keynes
      Anna Popplewell
      Liam Neeson

ACTORS I DON"T LIKE:
      Georgie Henley
      Will Poulter
      Tilda Swinton

ok ? Does this sound weird to you ?

• Jill_pole says:

No Not at all i think evry1 has there own opinion for me I LOVE Georgie henely Skander and will But i dont know why but I just cant stand anna…although i think my all time favourite charecter will probally be Polly. thats if they ever end up making MN??

• farsight-mssngr says:

I think all the actors and actresses are very well in the chronicles. I LOVE Georgie Henley, William Moseley, Skandar Keynes, Ben Barnes (as my favorite actors and actress) and all of them. They have great acting skills and they really fit in their characters. We can still see the Pevensie kids in HHB and all of them in LB.

• Jill_pole says:

Thats true but its just that it wont be the same as when they were all there in narnia on quest and stuff…Although im looking forward to new charecters and new adventures!…XD

• Anhun says:

I think if they get really good people for Jill and Puddleglum, they'll probably be my favorites.

As for the cast we have so far:
        I like Will P, Will M, Sergio Castellito, James McAvoy, and Tilda Swinton.
        I don't like Anna Popplewell, completely dead in the eyes.
        I have mixed feelings about Georgie, Ben, and Skandar. I loved Georgie and Skandar in LWW. In PC, I liked Georgie and Skandar, couldn't stand Ben. In VDT, I thought Ben was perfect, whereas Skandar's performance was kind of lackluster, and Georgie was on and off.

• Jill_pole says:

I mean i LOVE georgie and skander but i think i expected more from them in VDT Because there older and are more trained, XD And they were AwEsOmE in LWW and PC I think the attention may have gotton to their head a bit, BUT still they are my favourite actors that have ever lived…I LOVE YOU GEORGIE AND SKANDER!!

• Cross Trainer says:

I actually really enjoy Anna's performance in LWW and PC (VDT, not much to say). I think it's hard to take a liking to her after a certain point and that adds to her falling away in LB. I'd like to see her in LB when they compare her present life with the life she once had as a friend of Narnia.

• Jill_Pole says:

Yeah her perfomance was pretty good XD but it was for me after reading the last battle that i just didnt warm to her…

50. Praying Pevensie says:

To Jill_Pole:
    Oops! If I knew you loved Georgie, I wouldn't have said it. Sorry ! I know that, I thought Georgie was cute when she was little, and ok, in PC, but VDT, I'm sorry. (Scream) She is so…….I don't like her. SORRY ! I know, I get carried away ! I'm nuts !

• Jill_pole says:

To Praying Pevensie:
      Its Fine We all have our differences and if you dont like georgie then I am perfectly fine with that.. I mean I CANT STAND anna at ALL!!….Still waiting for MN 😀

Sorry anyway !

I can't wait for MN either ! I woould prefer HHB, if I had a choice, but MN is close behind ! I wish they could make two movies at once ! On the other hand, I hope they don't make LB. I don't think I'd want to watch LB, because that one is REALLY special, and truthfully, I think think the movies are taking people away from books. I know the Dawn Treader looked ALOT different than what I thought !

• Jill_pole says:

Yeah VDT did look a lot different from the way i immagined it to be. but then again it look exactly the same aswell so overall it was about half and half, But i just have this feeling that they will go off the story line with SC???,
        Maybe they wont, But For the Movies i couldn't care less if they go off the storyline, But it has an Impact on the books and put people on a different light,Although it does get people to buy and read the books, and who knows they might become a follower of god? XD

• Praying Pevensie says:

They might, and they might go to God.
        But think about it. I know when we read LWW it really was not too enjoyable, cause we imagined the movie ! What fun is that ? Also, If they don't follow God now, what's going too in the books ? They probably don't even know the Bible. Am I right ? I think that they should find th Kingdom series to copy instead. Or Lamplighter ! Or, I'm publishing a cool book !

• Jill_Pole says:

Well For Me that wasn't a problem because I had read the book before i saw the movie, But that is actually true for some people..XD I really want to be polly in MN But there is NO chance in that!

• Praying Pevensie says:

I would LOVE to be Aravis in the Horse and His boy, but Here's what I think.

I'm country. 100% country. I love farming, riding, baking, hollering, and rounding,There is a small town about 22 miles away from our house, but it's just a little town,, where we get groceries, mail ect. ANYWAY,
        I would like to be in MN or HHB, BUT my country, small town girl life won't be the same. Instead, everyone will be there, and they'll all ask"Your _______ ____!" I don't like that. I would though, like to be a writer, a radio host, and a person who does audio dramas like Lamplighter Theatre or Adventures in Odesey !
        But your probably town right ? it's fine, but I LOVE MY LIFE ! ( no offense ) = )

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

what is hollering and rounding?

51. Jill_Pole says:

Yeah,I live in australia in townsville up at north Queensland I am 12 and we have ur normal shopping centre malls things and proper everything, where do u live????

• Praying Pevensie says:

America. Kansas in America. Caldwell, Kansas. Our nearest REAL town is about 60 miles away. Enid, Oklahoma. I also am 12, and live right between Oklahoma and Kansas. I can't even get to our 2 mile away neighbor, without getting into Oklahoma !
      You probably think I'm a hick right ? I may be, but I hope that one day, as the oldest, I can take the farm, and make it into something great. Do you live on a farm ??

• Praying Pevensie says:

Never mind my question. Sorry. Do you have siblings ? I have three. One brother, and two sisters. I'm the oldest though.

52. Jill_Pole says:

Yes I have a little brother and a big sister, As you can c I LOVE NARNIA!!!!
    My favourite movie from the chronicles would probaly have to be LWW Same with the book But MN was up there 2 Althoug in the VDT movie I thought the funny comedy side of it was good XD wbu???

• Praying Pevensie says:

Well, far as Narnia movies….hmm…

My favorite is probably LWW or PC. I LOVE LWW because I think it is the most realistic, but i LOVE PC because of my hero……Reepicheep ! He is ok in VDT but He is less exciting and I don't like his voice as well. If I could be queen of Narnia, or in a pack with Reepicheep, i would definately pick Reep !
      Far as book…..My favorite is MN but I really like Lb. ( the ending left us all in tears ) but, LB was sadder. I think my favorite book was MN with HHB close behind. Who is your favorite character in Narnia ?? = )

53. Jill_Pole says:

to praying pevensi: Well,as far as charecters I Like Peter and edmund I really liked them both in PC, Which I think had the better acting of the three, I dont really like susan and lucy's charecter(but I LOVE georgie anyway), And if I had a choice of the 4 i would probally pick Lucy, Because she is in LWW PC VDT and the LB..but I wouldnt mind being Edmund or Peter..Actually I changed my mind I would probs wanna be edmaund or pete..XD

• Praying Pevensie says:

I like Peter and Edmund too, but Edmund???? Why does almost EVERY girl on here want to marry him ? He's not Christian, but every girl on here LOVES him ! Is it because He's younger ? He's ok, but What's the deal with him ? I also like Mr. Tumnus, Alsan ( of cours )
      Far as the book Characters, my favorite is Bree, then Whinny, then Jewel, then Reepicheep, than puzzle. Poor Puzzel ! I do not like Shift at all. How about your fav book characters ?

• Jill_Pole says:

thats hard 1 well my favs are truffle hunter, aravis, bree aslan Mr. Tumnus and edmund..but the others are cool aswell XD

54. i love georgie says:

Umm..Well i Like Diggory, Polly ,Peter, Shasta,lucy(VDT),eustace (SC) and reepicheep XD But the others are alright 2..are you christian,cathlic .ect. 😀

55. morgan says:

Quite honestly they should have made MN the 2nd movie so Digory could have to the children in a story format..even thought thats not how they did it in the book..but maybe they can do somthing like that because for the people who dont read the books it would probably get confusing..idk..but some way they should show that that was the first book and not LWW.

56. FrecklefaceJill says:

They should definately do the Silver Chair next. That book sold I think about as well as Magician's Nephew.

57. Sam J.(Brazilian fan) says:

The good thing is that you vote for the USA to see what the best movie but at the time of the theatrical release gives a good box office, but WEAK! That's what they did with Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader, the male gender of you have the danger of the voyage of the dawn pergerino be almost canceled! Fans Narnians Americans, have action!

58. i love georgie says:

Hey Guyz if anyone wants to see my audition video's for jill here's the link 😀 im making polly ones soon aswell 😀
    linkhttp://www.youtube.com/user/beckybang1512?feature=mhee

59. farsight-mssngr says:

I think it's better if they make Narnia 4 together with5 next year. It goes something like this:
    Summer 2012: The Silver Chair or The Horse and His Boy
    December 2012: The Magician's Nephew or The Last Battle.
    They should make up the whole series for HP has ended, It's time for Narnia to shine and bring the victory back! For Narnia!

• Anhun says:

First of all, they don't have the money to invest in two movies in a struggling franchise. Secondly, summer releases don't seem to work for Narnia. Thirdly, HP may be over but the Hobbit series is about to start so, if anything, the competition is even stiffer.

60. freshynfs says:

perhaps Walden Media wants to go with Magicians Nephew next because of Perry Moore's passing and the fact that he had secured funding for the film, just a pure speculation of course…