Gresham Shares Plans for Next Narnia Film

It has been over six months since we last heard any kind of update on the Narnia films. Now, we finally have something to report.

Kristi from The Lion’s Call has posted a brief report on Douglas Gresham’s (co-producer, Lewis’ stepson) comments at Oxford earlier this week. He revealed his hopes for the future of the Chronicles of Narnia films:

• There is a seven-year moratorium on producing any Narnia films outside of Walden Media.
  • He might have future films made independently.
  • The Silver Chair is the film he would like to make next.
  • He would like to see Andrew Adamson return, but thinks he would be too expensive.
  • In the meantime, he will focus on a film adaptation of Lewis’ “The Screwtape Letters.”

Read the full report here

We previously believed the moratorium period was 3-4 years, and that the next film would very likely be The Magician’s Nephew. Now it appears the wait will be longer than we thought, and Gresham will maintain the original published order and continue with The Silver Chair.

To clarify the issue: By law, no Narnia films can be released by anyone without Walden Media until the moratorium ends, and it appears that Gresham would prefer to make the films independently. Assuming the moratorium began just after Dawn Treader‘s release, the earliest we could see the next Narnia film is probably 2018.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Discussion Forum!

311 Responses

1. shastastwin says:

I'm surprised that the moratorium is that long, but I suppose I can understand why it has to be. I'm glad that Gresham would like to get Adamson back, but he probably would be too expensive if the films begin to be made independently. As long as the films get produced and are faithful, I will be happy with them.

2. GlimGlum says:

Long time to wait; let's hope it will be The Silver Chair and it will be worthwhile. 🙂

3. WillowofNarnia says:

As long as there IS another Narnia film, I. AM. VERY. HAPPY!!! 😀 😀 Oh my gosh I'm so excited now!! And Silver Chair is the one I wanted, so YAY!! I hope they can get Ben Barnes back as Caspian!! If not, I will be very very sad. 🙁

4. Noc says:

If Adamson returns, it will be well worth the wait. He's the only one who did Lewis' vision justice. Get the Adamson/Gregson-Williams team back on!

• nic says:

A. Adamson is definitely the 'safe hands' for Narnia, not necessarily as Director but he's just really suited in alot of ways to all the different layers involved; the one problem with P.C. near the end wasn't really Adamson's inclinations for the story in rest of film & was more a perceived marketing improvement.

A Silver Chair film in another lengthy period of time will be lost on the General public i'd guess in comparison to the magnitude of the previous films. Magician's Nephew, with Tilda Swinton in a big role, would be the fulcrum between the previous films and the ones to come which the general public could connect with i feel, & also provide the continuity for the various themes of the whole serial.

VODT is good for what it is, a ticking of the boxes for a marketing effort in covering all the percieved bases around the VODT story. The people who made the film all did well & it's decent, it's like a really really good extended trailer for the VODT film without really becoming that film.

Anyhow, i'm all for seeing what happens, & think the film series is totally salvageable as VODT has enough in it to stand up in an artistic way when complemented in a completed series by a whole Narnia arc.

• nic says:

Just want to add how important i think Georgia Henley was in carrying the VODT film or being crucial in it's balance.

The part written for Lucy was abit of a travesty at times in VODT but she was able to give a real depth to her role & thus help the paper thin at times dramatic narrative of the film in a natural way that shined through. If you watch PC carefully, you'll see a very naturally creative & quite nuanced performance as Lucy too.

• Matt Wills says:

Absolutely! VDT is like a homage to the book; a mix and match pastiche with some elements that could have been used in magnificent adaptation that was never made…

5. FriendOfNarnia2 says:

I hope it is worth the wait!

6. glumPuddle says:

So nice to have news to report. Lots of surprising stuff here! He wants to make SC next? Independently? 7 years?
    I think, if anything, all this makes me feel a little better.

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

glumPuddle, aren't you studying filmmaking? My dream would be for you to direct a Narnia film. Maybe this seven year gap will help make that a reality! 🙂

7. Queen Elizabeth says:

And THIS is why I LOVE Douglas Gresham. Without him, the films would not be what they were. His determination to keep Lewis' spirit in the films is amazing. We need more people like him on this. Also I agree with Noc. I'd love to see that!!! Plus the fact that he wants to do SC next is just an added bonus! =)

8. Ajman says:

I am actually excited to hear that the next Narnia films may be independent. If they are independent It will be much easier to make them faithful to the books rather than worrying about the business standpoint of another company like walden. (not that business wouldn't be involved) In this case it will be easier to make the films faithful without dumbing them down. They will be able to take more risks!

9. DamselJillPole says:

Yes! I'm really excited! I wish they could start off with Magician's Nephew but Silver Chair is alright I guess. But 7 years? Really I think they should reboot.

10. By God's Grace says:

Hey, at least Eustace will probably still be young enough to play his part again (in both SC and LB 🙂 And 7 years doesn't really harm the ages of anyone else either, since the Pevensies would only be needed for HB, and they are all adults in that one.

7 years will also give Twilight and other manic franchises (say, Hunger Games) run their course.

Perhaps, patience in this matter is a good thing 🙂

I think Poulter's time has passed. They'll have to re-cast.

• Narnia Chick says:

I agree unfortuately. I am a huge fan of continuity, but once I heard they would have to wait 3-4 years (at the time) I figured even then Poulter would be too old to continue the role

• By God's Grace says:

Really? He looks SO young and small in DT – not anywhere close to the young man Eustace seems to be in SC …

Whoa! just looked at his bio – would never guess he's 19!!! Lol. Well, he LOOKS young enough to play the part anyway 🙂 And of course, one always hears stories of 30 year olds playing highschoolers ….

We'll just have to see. It might be a moot point anyway (but I hope not!)

• Kristi says:

Yeah, he was a lot taller at the premiere. I loved the job he did in VDT, but it's not unprecedented to recast a great actor in a major role. Dumbledore was fairly well hidden under all that facial hair, but we're not getting Ian Holm as the Hobbit and we're still pretty happy.

11. EtJ says:

7 years, eh? Reboot!!!!

12. True King of Narnia says:

i hope they'll make the silver chair, but i dont think will poulter is gonna be in the film, because he is getting too old now.

13. Caureloron (Tim Laurio) says:

That he wants to make them independently is interesting. I wonder if he's gotten fed up with slick Hollywood adaptations that mess too much with Lewis's vision?

14. Twinimage says:

Wow, that's quite a while to wait. At least we have more solid idea of when another movie can be produced. Interesting points about who Gresham wants to direct and what film should be made next. I'm not really sure what the impact of making the films independently would have on the next film overall, but maybe that will allow the film to be a closer adaption to the books?
    With this being made after 2018, I question whether a reboot would be in order or not. The previous cast of the last 3 films will be too old to play any of their characters. Ben Barnes will be about the right age to play old King Caspian. lol

15. Matt Wills says:

So much better this than a series of increasingly unfaithful adaptations. Now the green mist has cleared (thank goodness) I think there's an enormous amount to look forward to.

16. Swanwhite says:

I was there in the Lion's Call Chat room when Ajnos turned up with the news and we were excited that we got it ahead of Narniaweb 😉
    But yeah an interesting bit. A little sad that the wait is so long, but I like the sound of the direction it could take then, and Screwtape in the mean time is something to look forward to.

17. wolfloversk says:

Is that 7 years all together? If so we only have to wait 5 years 😛

• wolfloversk says:

And btw, I'd rather wait 7 years for an awesome Narnia film that did Lewis justice than get one immediately that's mediocre at best.

18. AstroWolfD says:

Very disappointing, but a bit exciting at the same time. I personally would not care for a reboot, even with the long wait. All good thing are worth waiting for…

19. Thekla says:

Whoooppeee! YES! Silver Chair!

20. DJKuo says:

Hopefully I'll be able to work with future Narnia films after I graduate from Asbury University majoring in film production. It's pretty cool I get to go to a school where I see actual props from the Narnia films everyday as I walk to my classes.

21. Tipper says:

I can't wait..i hope that even with this long wait between films that they will be able to use all the original actors…I always thought that LWatW and Prince caspian being done by disney was amazing and was slightly disapointed when disney dropped out of VotDT..like part of the magic was taken out of the films. I love the books, but i enjoy most of the changes they made to the past two films..cause unless we want to sit for 3hrs or more(even though i wouldn't mind) the plots needed to be slightly changed…Hope that all of the series will be completed some day soon:)

22. utterReep says:

With the exception of Will Poulter as Eustace (and possibly Tilda Swinton as the White Witch), there really aren't any casting concerns with a seven-year gap. Yes, you might have to worry about a young Caspian at the end of Silver Chair, but if they wanted to make him middle-aged, they could use Ben Barnes again. It would still provide a stark contrast to the old king we see early on. There might be some issues with the Pevensies in The Last Battle, but assuming they make a film every two years, Will Moseley will be at most in his late 30s and, if he's still boyish looking enough, could be made to look around 30. That would be a bit older than in the books, but probably acceptable.

23. regularJo says:

as much as i love LWW, PC and VoDT, i would like to see a reboot starting with Magicians Nephew and going through chronologically…but then again, Silver Chair would be dope…i'm so torn

24. David says:

This is why I don't like film series where the stars are children: you get these completely idiotic, bureaucratic hoops to jump through, which take ridiculously long, and during that whole time, your child actors are becoming less and less believable as their characters they are portraying. And then they have find a new actor/actress to replace the old (literally) one. That breaks continuity and takes away from the merit of the series. It's just really hard to make myself believe that a character looks one way in one film and then in the next film, it's a completely different person because they had to recast.

Will Poulter was a special case, since apparently he was 16 or 17 during filming but he could pass as 12, both in voice and physical appearance, although I think they did something to his voice electronically to make him sound much more squeaky and annoying than he is.
    Anyway, now he's 19, and by the time the 7 year wait time is up, he'll be entirely too old to play a character that is supposed to only be months older than he (that same character) was in the previous film.

So here's the question: do we recast a new person or do we change the storyline so we can keep the same actor? In my opinion, neither is a good option, but I suppose the least infuriating for me would be recasting, as long as the new actor looks at least somewhat similar.

Anyway, my rant is over. I hope they continue to make halfway decent Narnia films, as the first three have not been that bad, in their own right, even though they did diverge from the novels (at least the second and third ones did) in some parts.

25. FriendOfNarnia2 says:

Personally I'd like them to just reboot the entire series and act like all the previous films never existed. I would want them to give the films a totally different film from the Walden Media films. Smaller scale, less LOTR-lite. The independent nature could help in that with smaller budgets they will be less tempted to make it so "epic". Get a whole new cast and start with The Magician's Nephew, and then do the rest in publication order.

Jumping straight into The Silver Chair will be slightly confusing I would think.

26. Jooles says:

My only concern is: will an independent movie have the money for all the CGI required for Aslan and other special effects, and for the props, centaurs, etc? I fear we'll have BBC all over again.

27. Jooles says:

A question: is Douglas Gresjam in any way involved in the movie The Lion Awakes? From what I've read, apparently not. I wonder why…

28. Gregory says:

You know, after all this, I'm not sure I want them to continue with the current franchise. Dawn Treader really killed it for me. I'd much rather see them do stylistic animated adaptations of all seven. Maybe they could even get Disney on board for that. Better yet, scrounge up the people who did The Secret of Kells and have them do it.

The major advantages to an animated adaptation include: no issues with location scouting, no real financial limitations on special effects and set pieces, the ability to properly stylize the world and make it look as magical as it should, and not having to worry about the actors outgrowing the roles between films–as they have already done several times over.

Yeah, if I was in charge, that's what I would have done all along, and I think it's a much better plan.

• Kristi says:

I've been wondering about this too, Gregory. It seems like it might be a really good option. You now, I'm still rather of the opinion that the old animated cartoon had the very best script of any of the movies we've seen (with the possible exception of omitting Father Christmas). It's very faithful, has great music, and is moving in all the right places (and I have an argument for why we should forgive them the ugly turtlenecks). While my dream Narnia animated movie would actually be akin to a Disney fairytale film, complete with songs by Alan Menken, a series of made-for TV films could be done on a much lower budget with current animation techniques (Even I have made a seven-minute Narnia film, though it was a parody.). It may not be exactly what we're dreaming of, but it might be one way to actually get them all made…do they still have After School Specials anymore? 😛

• MiCHan says:

The problem with an animated film, though, is that in my mind, it's real… not a cartoon. When I read those books, they came to life, and animation would potentially take some of the life- the realism- back out of them.

• DamselJillPole says:

I agree with you Gregory. That's exactly what they need to do.

29. narnian resident says:

the one thing im mostly worried about is Will Poulter's age. by then, he'll be 22 (we're the same age, about). could he still pull off being Eustace? he just has to! i will weep if anyone else plays Eustace! although, it might be ok cuz Will Moseley was 21 and Ben was 26 in Prince Caspian, and both were playing characters that were presumedly about 16-17, and it worked. so i think Will Poulter could do it :3

30. pselpevensie says:

well…it's not awesome news, but it is news. hopefully it won't be the whole 7 years and someone will join with walden media. i would love so much to see silver chair on the big screen!!!!!

31. Louloudi the Centaur says:

Hmm, okay, I'm in sort of a state of shock, but good shock.

Seven years is indeed longer than thought, but hey, on the upside, it will allow some of the current popular film series, The Hunger Games in particular, to succeed and be done. On the downside, no Will Poulter or any original cast (for HHB adaptation), but then again, even if SC were to start production tomorrow, I thought Poulter was kind of too old anyway.

And The Silver Chair next? Not my favorite book, but I think this is a lot of people's preferred choice of next film, even mine.

I'm not sure how I feel about the films each being made independently, but hey, we still have some time left before we can really speculate.

I'm not really sure what else to say at the moment. I'd like to see the link to the original interview, if possible.

32. Luke says:

I got a chance to talk to Michael Flaherty in this March and asked him about the Narnia films. He politely said that they'd love to make more, but his tone implied that he was doubtful. It looks like we'll be waiting until 2018. When he polled the crowd about what film they'd like to see next, the response was overwhelming for Magicians Nephew. With having to wait 6 more years and the first chronological book the favorite here, that spells reboot.

• wolfloversk says:

Problem with polls is that they depend on the demographics… NW held a similar poll a few years ago and the response was overwhelmingly SC 😉

33. Fireflower says:

NOOOOOOO! 🙁 Seven years is a VERY LOOONG time! At least it sounds like they will eventually make all of them. 🙂 My guess is that Will Poulter will be too old to return for SC though…

34. Queen Elizabeth says:

So it seems I may have a chance to work on a narnia film after all 😉

35. Not Of This World says:

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! 2018? And that's at best??????? NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

36. Duffleglum says:

…please, just quite the series.
    I hate to be such a puddleglum, but I don't foresee any good future adaptations coming unless someone with a tons of vision, passion, and respect for C.S. Lewis steps up to the plate.

These books obviously are hard to make into movies, and it's clear that as of now no one has really put in a ton of effort to make them true to the book.

REBOOT! 🙂

37. Caitlin says:

It's a long wait, but hopefully will result in films that stay true to the books. I've never understood why Hollywood takes stories that have withstood the test of time and rewrites them!

38. narnianerd says:

… I'll be in my 20s…. crap.

• Pevensie#5 says:

So will I :/ Georgie will be 23, Skandar will be 28, Will M. will be 32, and Anna will be 30. :/Does anyone else find that strange?

• Alambil and Tarva says:

I'll be almost 30. O_O By the time they'd finish my future children would be reading the books. :O

• Stateofgreen says:

20!?!??? I'll be way older than that… 20 is still very young. I cannot wait 7 years for the Silver Chair. Independently filmed yes! Maybe by Lionsgate? Has to have more of a serious film vibe definitely than the kiddie tone of Dawn Treader!

• Matt Wills says:

I'll be nearly 50, and Doug Gresham will be … older still. We've waited long enough to wait a bit longer; the important thing is to get it right this time 🙂

• wolfloversk says:

*coughs* I'd be in my 20's even if they filmed it next year 😛

• Child of Aslan says:

My age was the first thing I thought of! I can't believe how time flies! I would be 24, but I will be waiting just as eagerly as I was when I was bout' 10 for LWW!!! ='( Kinda sad actually…

39. Pevensie#5 says:

WAAAAAAA! (crying) 7 years is TOO LONG!!!!!! Narnia is like my favorite thing in the WHOLE WORLD. And I thought 2 years in between PC and VDT, and the 3 in between LWW and PC was bad. The actors are going to be way too old. I think they should make LB then (depending on the ages of the actors)HHB then SC or SC then LB. well, there's nothing we can do. *sigh*. 🙁

40. Daniel says:

bringing Andrew Adamson back would be best. I hope they will work it out with Walden, because I think that partnership was good.

On a side note: Gresham should play the old man in a film adaptation of "The Old Man and the Sea" just sayin.

41. Alambil and Tarva says:

Well, at least I have time enough to establish myself in the film world so I can eventually work on the screenplay for at least one of the movies xD

But honestly, I wouldn't mind an entire reboot. I love the casting for the current film series, but by the time the moratorium is lifted, the actors will be too old. It'd be nice for the series to get the Peter Jackson treatment – by that time he'd be done with the Tintin trilogy (assuming they don't change their minds and make more than 3 movies). And besides, this series is going to be re-made into films until the end of time. Narnia is classic and is a staple of so many people's childhoods that it will never go away.

Still…I'm sad that we might not get to see the same cast return. I really do love them, especially Georgie 🙁

42. Non-negotiable Comment says:

It would be nice to know, for certain, the specifics of the moratorium. Is it, as glumPuddle stated that he assumed, seven years after the release date? Is it seven years after the last day of its theatrical run? Is it seven years between production cycles? It makes quite a bit of difference, depending on how you define it.

Also, the notion that Andrew Adamson "would be too expensive" sounds a lot of alarm bells, for many different reasons. I don't know… I don't see a lot to be hopeful about, unfortunately.

43. Sui-Lun says:

No news was better news…
    I'd like Walden to continue making films, because LWW and PC were awesome and made by Walden, and there's a shorter wait. However, I want a clear explanation from Gresham as to why he'd rather wait 7 years for films to be made independently.
    I'm glad Silver Chair is more likely next and Adamson is the first choice for director!

• Sui-Lun says:

Why are so many people disliking Hollywood magic? I know VDT went wrong, but I think it was just the director and his little crew. I think the actors were pretty faithful to the books. Rebooting would kill me unless it is spectacular, which means better than this current series, which I think is good.

44. farsight-mssngr says:

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!
    can't believe this thing…
    we first see Narnia in the big screen last 2005(almost seven years ago), and now we will see Narnia in the big screen again for the next seven years or sooner.

I agree with Gresham making The Silver Chair as the fourth Narnia film, and I also agree that he want Adamson to return to film the series.

I think more and better plans and negotiations should make during the resting years of Narnia.

age of Will Poulter is not a problem, they can use make-up and visual effects for his physical appearance.

anyways, I also want to see The Screwtape Letters and The Space Trilogy in the big screen.

Reboot? I don't think so, cause the cast who portrays the Pevensies, Caspian, and Eustace, are very good….

I think we really need to help Gresham in the future of Narnia.

They should continue the series. Even if Walden will not release the film, the important is, we need to see Narnia again in the big screen…….

Further Up and Further In!

45. Telmarine says:

I think way too much effort has been put into the Walden franchise for a reboot. And despite anyone's opinion on the current movies, they are very high quality productions. It's not like the only have the sub par BBC series anymore. And if Will Poulter will only be 22 when the moratorium is over, then we most likely will see the continuation of the current franchise, my biggest hope.

46. deborah says:

Gosh 7 years to wait!! I do hope Andrew Adamson can come back as he was great with the first two. I agree, the actors are what made VoDT tolerable as the script really was woeful. My kids will almost be all grown-up when the next one comes out:(

47. Ulfa says:

Why have to be release at 2018? Narnians can't wait for this 🙁 It will take a long time!

48. Not Of This World says:

So can they start filming before the moratorium is finished?

49. Just Queen, not High Queen says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't want to have to wait until 2018!!!! Will will be 25 by then!!!!

I'm very uncertain about the movies being made independently since Walden Media has done a great job and independent films usually have lower budgets. I don't want them to cheapen the CGI.

I am glad that Gresham wants them to do SC next and I do hope they bring Andrew back!

This is all very confusing! 🙁

50. LewisTolkien says:

I don't know about this. The folks at Walden have already made it clear they would like to continue with the series, so long as the next film is The Magician's Nephew. I know they were not as faithful as they should have been on the last two films (and this was something that certainly bothered me), but The Magician's Nephew in a couple of years as a sure thing sounds better to me than the vague possibility of a more faithful, but cheaper-looking Silver Chair 7+ years from now that fewer people are likely to see.

Independent films have their benefits, but its hard to get financial backing and a wide theatrical release when you go that route. This sounds like a shaky prospect to me, though I hope Gresham carries through successfully with the idea, since it appears he won't make up with Walden (who's fault this is, I don't know).

51. Prince Norin says:

I hope Gresham changes his mind and decides to stick with Walden Media. His hopes of picking up where he left off after 7 years are slim. The only chance that the series will really work is if the original team returns so that there is continuity and so forth. Furthermore, those of you who are excited about independent films, think again. Independent films likely mean poor special effects, different actors/actresses, lower quality directing, and something that would not do Narnia the justice it deserves – what Lewis himself was afraid of. Though there have been a few departures from the storyline in the past two films, I truly believe the essence and message of each book has been preserved, and that is far more import to me than all the details being correct. So far, Narnia has received the cinematic treatment it deserves, even if a few details have been changed. To hand the films off to an independent filmmaker is to sign the series death sentence for impacting people around the world. I think we would all agree that Lewis was primarily concerned with the message his series provided, and taking away the potential for the film to be a major picture all across the globe would, thing, dishonor C. S. Lewis's memory more than a few changed details. (Besides, films such as Harry Potter and Percy Jackson show that authors themselves are often willing to compromise on a few small issues – J.K. Rowling was heavily involved in the production of the Harry Potter movies, and there were departures from the books). Odds are, C. S. Lewis, had he seen the technology and the persuasive power of movies in the current culture, would have wanted the books to be made into movies and would have compromised a little here and there.

I agree that Adamson would be ideal – I was not thrilled with Apted's directing, though it was decent. I would be okay, however, with Apted directing the two remaining Eustace films (SC and LB), since his portrayal of Eustace was his really fantastic point in VODT. I would LOVE to see Adamson return for MN and HHB to preserve the Professor Krike, Jadis, and Pevensie that we see in the first two films. Gresham would be wise, I think, to rejoin with Walden after a few years. The series would be more successful that way, and he might actually stand a chance of getting Andrew Adamson back.

Wishful thinking, but is there anyway Gresham can read my post on this? 😉

• nic says:

Adamson as a co-script writer and main producer when not directing would be the trick. He could liaise with Douglas Gresham so his pov is not excluded, would bridge the script requirements so the studio is happy, & from first two, seems to have an implicit handle on the themes relating to each book within the whole series which is really the main thing i think.

And when not directing, he wold be the perfect foil for a director creatively in producing seamless narnia visions of the diff. stories.

52. QueenLucy says:

Why SEVEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

53. always narnian says:

This is really sad 🙁

54. Carol hatcher says:

Douglas Gresham sold the rights to C.S. Lewis's work a long time ago. He is only a spokesman for the C. S. Lewis estate. Do some research– you'll be surprised at what you'll learn.

• LewisTolkien says:

Carol, several news reports last year said that Walden Media was negotiating with the C.S. Lewis estate to make another Narnia film. Obviously these negotiations fell through, even though Walden made it clear they wanted to do another Narnia film. The estate clearly did not want it made under the conditions that Walden wished. The estate had sold the temporary rights to Walden, which are now expired. Obviously, there would be no need to negotiate further, as they were doing, if the estate no longer held the films rights to the series, as they of course still do. Gresham is the head of the entertainment/film/stage side of the estate, not just a "spokesman," so without a doubt he has a huge say in whether or not further films are made and by whom. In fact, he probably has a bigger say than anybody else.

Instead of being condescending, perhaps you should try to do some research yourself–you'll be surprised at what you'll learn.

55. QueenLucy says:

What does he mean about the films possibly being made independently?

56. Lucy says:

I think they should make Horse and His Boy next.

57. TumnusTheBrave says:

Most likely going to get new actors as well -_-

58. Aslan's #1 fan says:

Well…at least we know now…*sigh*
    Well at least there's light at the end of the tunnel though it's VERY far away.
    And that's pretty cool that's he wants Andrew Adamson back. Even if Narnia doesn't get Andrew again at least Mr. Gresham is trying…

59. I couldn't be less excited. Douglas Gresham didn't really help retain any of the Narnia spirit, especially with PC or VDT. Look, people, you can't have the spirit of a book present in a movie if the movie isn't passably close to the book itself. The story is what MAKES the certain atmosphere that we feel when we enter Narnia. Not only did they fail at faithfully adapting the story, but the message behind the story wasn't even the same. The message of VDT(book) was not temptation but adventure and longing. They threw away almost all the longing and most of the good, fun, adventure, and turned it into a dark movie filled with stupid green mist that tempts you ALL. THE. TIME. Sorry, but Gresham didn't help retain one bit of the Narnian spirit because he failed to retain the story. And maybe it's not his fault, but he's no hero, either.

• nic says:

I disagree about the spirit of Narnia not being in Prince Caspian film by quite a long way. It might seem abit darker & maybe melo-dramatic but the theme of Prince Caspian within the overall chronicles is relating to the corruption of innocence, essentially the opposite of the main black & white chronicles theme in Lion Witch & Wardrobe. This is more a struggle of maturation in a humanistic conception or embodiment of evil within the overall Chronicles series. Apart from a story momentum slam for a few minutes at films climax, PC is a total knockout of a Narnia film to me.

To me for VODT, yes the adventuring was a main theme (which is slightly acknowledged in the film) complementing Lucy's finding Aslan now she is older as a different proposition which is reflected in diff. ways for the story. So the boat was slightly missed on VODT & Georgia Henley would have made an great job of the arc.

A more intangible super-natural threat (mist + temptation) isn't completely out of place to the overall Chronicles. ALthough it is only really used as a story mechanic device, it is a conceptual compliment to the previous two films, because all of these remember, are derived from the problems & history that comes into Narnia unplanned in the form of Jadis(the white witch) when Narnia is being created.

• The theme in Prince Caspian (book) was belief, doubt, and returning. Miraz disbelieves in the Old Narnia; Caspian believes. Trumpking doubts Aslan, while Nikabrik believes in Aslan and the White Witch, both being to him merely means to the end of delivering the dwarfs from the Telmarines. Glozelle and Sopespian both pretend belief and disbelief to bend Miraz to their will.
        The theme of returning or restoration is also present. The Pevensies return to Narnia, the true king is restored to the throne, the Old Narnians are restored to being true citizens of Narnia, instead of having to hide all the time.
        A whole lot of this was left out of the film, because you can't have the same themes if you don't have the same story. At first glance, the movie may seem very similar to the book, but if you look a little more closely (and only a very little) you'll see it's really nothing like the book.

• nic says:

Laura, i see what you are saying on themes for PC but i see what you said as really the sub-themes in PC and they all ARE present in the film also.

The contrast of Narnia in the books (& films) between LW&W to PC is quite pointed. This is surely it's main central riff in book & film. The magic of the previous sides has gone, political power & it's corrupting ways, war, are the issues. If there is an particular astrological inspiration or 'code' in PC also, it is thought to be based on a war planet or influence also.

1. May 25, 2012

[…] movies. A seven year moratorium was spoken of, a length longer than previously understood. As NarniaWeb.com shared the news they underscored the fact that it’s unclear when that moratorium began, but […]