Video: Better Look at “Dragon Attack”

A couple weeks ago, NarniaWeb posted a video showing the crew filming a scene in which a dragon “attacks” the Dawn Treader. About one week later, according to another report from the set, Douglas Gresham confirmed that the dragon is Eustace (aka DragonEustace).

Now, ‘ellieisunique‘ has posted a higher-quality video on YouTube (note there is some language in the commentary). You can see the crew’s behavior more clearly, and catch a glimpse of Caspian.

This scene is not in the book, so there is a lot of speculation going on in the forum. What do you think? Is DragonEustace actually “attacking” the Dawn Treader? Is he trying to ask the crew for help? Why are Caspian and the crew on the ship instead of the island? Join the discussion.

UPDATE: Tamara’s latest video gives us an even closer look at the crew’s behavior. You can see them aiming their crossbows (which do indeed appear to be Telmarine crossbows).

107 Responses

1. glumPuddle says:

So it seems that the way the crew meet DragonEustace is different. This might be interesting. I sure hope the crew wasn’t trying to leave Eustace behind! That would just be wrong. Then again… is it possible this scene doesn’t take place on an island at all?

• Fire Fairy says:

That would be very interesting, glumPuddle. It seems to me, though, that it makes more sense to have it this way rather than the way it is in the book. Although, doesn't somebody in the book say something about arrows being no use against a dragon? Hmmm… Oh well. Anyways, I think they would be more likely to attack a dragon than stand around talking to it.

• Princess Arya says:

Fire Fairy — that's what I recall. They "wait until it's light and then go out to confront the dragon." It sounds kinda like Lord of the Rings the Two Towers quote: "For death and for glory!" (It sounds heroic, but my translation: Let's ride out and get killed!) What I mean by that is that "Wouldn't the Vodt sailors try to escape a little more than that?"

You think it makes more sense for Caspian and the others to try to leave Eustace behind?

• Princess Arya says:

The dragon might force them to. *shrug* Who knows?

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

I doubt the crew's trying to leave Eustace behind (after all, it was HIS idea to stay behind… in the book, anyway). This is probably supposed to be a from-the-ship first encounter with Eustace.

• Aravis(narniafan#1) says:

All I have to say is… AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! THIS IS SO AMAZING!!! okay, I'm done. i think i said what i pretty much needed to say. Thanks A BUNCH to whoever recorded the video! It was SO fun listening to the girls talk!

• ellz_bellz says:

Thankyou very much! I'm glad someone didn't mind me talking 😀

• Lutra's Pearl says:

I think that the talking makes it. of Keep the story Aslan alive!

• martin the warrior says:

lutra's pearl is that pearls of lutra from redwall if it is im a redwall fan to

• The narniad says:

AHAHAHAHA!! I am soooo thankful to whoever took that video! That made everything so much clearer! And it was so funny listening to them talk! "Oh my God, was that Ben? I saw Ben!" I found that hilarious!

• MP_in_narnia says:

Perhaps they have already seen him and decided it was best to go back to the ship for safety and plan what they will do… That doesn't necessarily mean they leave the island…

2. GlimGlum says:

Go Dragon Eustace!

3. Lutra's Pearl says:

I really like the commentary! I think that it is intresting that the dragon is Eustace, wonder how that will go. Keep the story of Aslan alive!!

4. Silver the Wanderer says:

Hmm, I don't know quite what to think! If Doug Gresham hadn't told ellz_bellz that this was DragonEustace, I would guess that maybe it really was Lord Octesian! I guess not. I still think DragonEustace is just trying to get back to the Dawn Treader, but the others think he's attacking and start shooting at him. Maybe Caspian and the others came back to the ship to sleep instead of spending the night on the island?

5. Princess Arya says:

I've got news — arrows don't work against dragons! Ah well, I'm sure it will look good in the movie!
    Maybe it's just my computer but my comments disappeared (when I wrote that I was second). Weird. *gives a shrug*

• tenthofthatname says:

I thought the same thing! What's an arrow going to do to a dragon unless you hit it in the eye.

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I guess its the best weapon they have against a dragon. They don't have guns you know. That would have been funny if C.S. Lewis had written one of the books where someone brings a gun into narnia and then the narnians learn how to make cannons and guns and stuff. lol

• tenthofthatname says:

Samuel the Magnificent: Maybe they'll set the arrowheads on fire in the editing room! I've wondered about the guns thing. I doubt it'll ever be done in any adaptation, but they do have fireworks and that's a start.

• Princess Arya says:

tenthofthatname — Oh no, sounds like a mess if they do that, because it's supposed to be Eustace! *gives unsure grin and imagines sailor-archer saying, "Oops…"*

• tenthofthatname says:

Princess Arya: Haha well poor Eustace just can't get a break!

• Crimson Dragon says:

Well, I don't think even fire arrows would do well against a dragon; they breathe fire, after all. If the sailors want to try it, go ahead, but it won't work.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

And about the "funny if C.S. Lewis had someone bring a gun into Narnia": read MN. Andrew Ketterly talked constantly of bringing a gun and shooting Aslan. (In other words, a) it wouldn't be funny and b) I don't think C.S. Lewis approved of the idea of guns in Narnia.)

• Lutra's Pearl says:

My comment disappeared too. And I was first!!!!! I don't know why it had to do that to me the time that I get it first.

6. eustacegirl says:

i cant wait to see clips of the conversation edmund and eustace have when eustace comes back human again!

• MP_in_narnia says:

Me either! I think it's one of my favorite moments of the series. It really shows how Edmund has changed and now he is able to verbalize that to someone else…someone who has also been radically changed by an encounter with Aslan.

7. ASLAN'S CHILD says:

the girls talking during the video was interesting.they think they saw ben barnes and georgie's stunt double.i WISH I WAS TERE.DON'T YOU?

• narniaismylife says:

Yes! I would give anything to be there!!

• Narnian Jesus Freak♥(used to be celtic13) says:

OH! I would LOVE to be there!!!!! Please, mom, can't play hookey for a year or 2 to see VDT being filmed? Please? Ah, nuts. I KNEW she would say no!
      LOL!

8. andrea says:

cool!!

9. tenthofthatname says:

Okabayashi is not that hard to say hah but the commentary is cute. Good to know they're enjoying themselves because I wish I was there too.

10. daughter of the King says:

I think Eustace is just trying to get to them. What I can't figure out is why Caspian and co. are back on the ship. Perhaps they decided it was too dangerous to spend the night and were going to return to look for Eustace in the morning but before they could Eustace as a dragon showed up?

11. Eliseo says:

I guess as long as Caspian wasnt set on leaving Eustace behind, I wouldn't mind this slight plot change. I can see them getting back on the ship to either search for Eustace tomorrow or searching for him by ship around the island.

12. StoryGirl says:

Mmm, interesting. This change of scene/story might be really cool/exciting for the film.
    Can't wait to see how it's all played out!

13. loverforBen says:

sweet!

14. lucy says:

why is the person filming cursing like a sailor?

• -queenSUSAN- says:

Good question, lucy. I would like to know the answer to that myself. ^^

• ellz_bellz says:

-hangs head in shame-
        I was VERY VERY excited, and forgot that I was going to be posting this. I really need to remember to KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT! Sorry if I offeneded/annoyed anyone! The people talking are me, my sister and my friend.

15. Hansolo says:

I think that instead of spending the night on the island they spend it on the ship and then eustace wakes up and goes to the ship to try and get there attention but instead they shoot at him,and then he flies back to the island to get away

• graycsc says:

I agree, and that wouldn't be too much of a change. The only difference would be where they spend that night

16. JadistarkilleR says:

wow, i've endured shaky footages before without a problem, but that made me sea-sick! i guess it didnt help that there was an annoying prattle (sorry it had to be said).

and i couldnt figure out where Ben/ Caspian is. is he really supposed to be onboard? where the heck is he? i couldnt pick him out among the rest of the crew who all has cream/light colored shirts and a crossbow! and as GP pointed out, why is he there when he's supposed to be on the island where Edmund and Lucy should be?

anyway, my best guess is that there is gonna be a huge divergence on this part of the book. if Caspian, Edmund and Lucy are already onboard and have set sail then something must've forced them to leave the island immediately, leaving anybody else who isnt on board behind– Eustace. it adds for dramatic tension which is the general feeling of what this footage conveys.

what if…. what forced them off the island is seeing the dragon (which of course they dont know to be Eustace)? Eustace will recognize them for sure, but Caspian and crew wouldnt. dragon Eustace approaches them asking for help, they get frightened and rush aboard the ship and sets sail? thats a good enough reason to leave the island in a rush and even assume that Eustace was eaten by the dragon.

17. yeswelovenarnia says:

ok now i want to actually see footage of scenes with actual dialouge!!! (but that was cool with the commentary!!)

18. WarriorQueen says:

Hmm. Interesting. I need to go check the book again and see if there's a part that remotely resembles this. It seems like I remember something similar to that, but I'm not sure.

19. MonkeySaru says:

Uh…gee, the language these girls used was rather…flattering, to say it kindly. ):<
    anyway. awesome video. I LOVE the boat rocking.

…but one question…
    I thought in the book they said that arrows were useless against dragons…so why do they have crossbows?

• JadistarkilleR says:

i dont think their purpose is to kill it, only to drive it away since they dont want the dragon breaking the mast.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Still, they'd glance off, causing no harm at all (unless the dragon is like Smaug in "The Hobbit" or something like that).

20. ~Lava~ says:

Well, we know that Eustace is the dragon attacking so we know that it happens as Eustace is a dragon. Crossbows are not longbows, they have a totally different draw-weight and power, so much so that they are the only bow that i am not allowed to shoot in my Archery class.

21. Mirima Rosetrader says:

Well the language was those girls used wasn't exactly lady like but the video was good. The boat was so cool when it rocked! I saw Ben! And I think Eustace is coming for help, not attacking but Caspian and the others think he is attacking. Which is understandable. But why are they on the ship and not the island are they trying to leave without Eustace, because they assume he was dead? I agree with JadistarkilleR, if there was a presumed evil dragon on the island I would get the heck out of there! Wish I was there to watch SO bad.

22. narniaismylife says:

I cannot believe im watching the best movie ever being filmed!!!

23. farsight1 says:

Not watching any clips this time around. I'll stick with the trailers, when they come up. But it's good to know they're making progress, though.

24. Great, but you know we can hear your voice. You are so lucky hearing you talking about just seeing them makes me jealous. Speaking of your voice you sound about 15. Are you?

• ellz_bellz says:

no, i'm fourteen

AND I SERIOUS:Y APOLOGISE FOR MY LANGUAGE!
      IT IS ABSOLUTLY APPAULING!

i don't usually talk like that, i am so very sorry :S:S:S:S:S

• So your about Georgie Henleys age. I'm twelve. And its alright in my school thats pretty tame. I live in Riverton, Utah at the school of oquhirr hills middle. basically half my school says those words like(sorry if this is a bad word to you) Shut up even our music (chior for me) says shut up.

• I meant to say teacher after music sorry. the only word I say that you said is (sorry again) shut up.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Umm… how 'bout we keep ages off the 'net? Not a very wise idea to post them up.

25. PrincessLeia327 says:

I would give anything to be on the production crew!!!

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

oh, bother. I'd go for being part of the cast! ;P

• Narnian Jesus Freak♥(used to be celtic13) says:

If I was there, I wouldn't care whether or not I was in the cast or production team. I just wanna BE there! Seriously, I'd jump to be a gofer! Skander Keynes ordering me to get him coffe? Ohmigosh! 😀 😀 I'd do it really fast! 🙂

26. Might want to put a warning on this video about some of the language. 😉

• Princess Arya says:

Thanks…I didn't listen to it with the sound yet and decided not to. I just have a little bit of a thing about that sort of thing : )

• Princess Arya says:

Haha at me, I said, "I didn't listen to it with the sound yet". That means I didn't really listen to it at all!

• Narnia Lover says:

You're right! They should put a warning on it about language! I heard quite a few bad words and my mouth just dropped! They need to watch their language!

• ellz_bellz says:

:S

• You guys are all too serious. I mean I hear that language all the thime. even I use it sometimes. I know that its a bad word to some of you but is no big deal. I mean she did it by mistake. she didn't mean to say those things. If you guys read my comment to ellz-bellz it tells you my actual age and I bet most of you are older than me.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Just because you hear whatever words all the time doesn't make them any less… (what's the word I'm looking for?) bad? uncalled-for? Where I work, I hear swears and takings-of-God's-name in vain every single shift. As badly as I hate the swears, I DETEST the fact that people will randomly use God's names as exclamations. Makes my blood boil.
        Not condemning anyone or anything like that, just saying…. This site should be safe for anyone to poke around on in EVERY respect.

• Narnia Freak says:

Its ok you problaby wern't thinking at the time.

• graycsc says:

I really didn't think the language was that bad, I only heard one bad word but I'm generally not very good at picking up on those kinds of things

27. Narnia Lover says:

I watched it and I lov it! I can't wait to see it when it's done! SAIL ON VDT!!!

28. Digory 83 says:

Keep Aslan in control and not the kids, and we will have a winner, whether or not they are on the boat or on the island. I am so excited about Aslan tearing the skin off the dragonand reaching to his heart, hopefully they fix it so you know what's happening, but it's still PG. December of 2010 can't come soon enough.

29. spacewalker72069 says:

I've listened to all the books as produced by the AMAZING Focus on the Family Radio Theatre series. Simply the best version in our opinion (after hearing these the movies were a let down – they are THAT GOOD!). Anyway, from this version I remember that they are on the island and their mast is broken and Eustice the Dragon eventually brings them a large tree from across the island to replace the mast. Perhaps he's trying to land on the mast to help remove it, although I think he's probably just trying to make contact as someone else said. I hate it when they mess up an already perfectly written script (aka – the book!) Looking forward to all 7 movies if they make them (and I wish they'd fix Aslan, what a let down compared to the Audio version – you really have to hear David Suchet as Aslan – EXCELLENT STUFF!)

• daughter of the King says:

I completely agree, Focus on the Family did a superb job.

• narniaismylife says:

Liam Neeson is the best Aslan

• Well it problaby too late now because the younger audienceis already adaped to Liam Neesons voice and If you think about it. It would be like saying lets replace Skandar with someone who looks just like him just with a different voice. I wouldn't do because the audience has already adapted to Skandar as edmund. Its the excact same thing.

• tolkienlewisfan says:

I'm sorry I beg to differ on the Aslan voice. His voice was the only down part of the radio theatre. He talks all slow and dorky. like: It………is…………….finisssssshhhheeeed.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

spacewalker72609, I agree with you on the fact that Focus on the Family did a great job with audio-ing CoN. But I disagree with you about Aslan's voice. Sorry, but Liam Neeson does a better job than David Suchet (not saying he did a horrible job or anything). (And I listened to the CD's like 4 months before I even KNEW they were making movies.)

30. jag says:

Is anyone else concerned that they are releasing VODT only 3 weeks after harry potter??? dont get me wrong i think Narnia is fields ahead of harry potter, its just it may not perform as well being released so close to harry…

• ellz_bellz says:

Hairy Potter? Phshawwwwwww, It wishes it was Nrnia

• narniaismylife says:

I agree Harry Potter doesn't stand a chance against narnia.

• I think you guys are wrong. Not that I'm not a huge fan which I am (I love narnia and it going to stay that way forever), but with my family and the way they react with the movie (they buy ticket for the opening day, they watch all the movies, have breakfast at a returaunt close to the theater and then see the movie) and they won't do that for Narnia not even for me. And with that I think Narnia won't have a big opening day.

• Narnian Jesus Freak♥(used to be celtic13) says:

well, at least they aren't releasing it like a week before Indiana Jones(I am not a big Indy fan). Harry Potter is NO WHERE even NEAR being awesome like Narnia,(and I'm even less a Harry potter fan) but unfornatly I know a lot of people who thinks so. 😛 But at least it's AFTER harry potter because the Xtreme fans will probably see it right away, not 3 weeks after. I am a little nervous though. :S

31. CDT says:

Thanks heaps for the clip!

Does anybody know how much longer they're gonna be filming there for? I'm only hoping we could still catch them…

32. narnian resident says:

sounds intersting. i suppose the book version of meeting dragon eustace was too boring, or not exciting enough. they better not hurt him!

33. Lady Polly says:

poor eustace, he doesn't know what to do.

34. Flurrin says:

You know, it's quite possible that this dragon isn't Eustice…it could be they wanted to explain why the Lord Octesian or the dragon who devoured him died when they arrived. It's a sad thought, but they *did* hit him/it with the crossbows.

35. BradenWoodburn says:

Freaking sweet! <3

36. Laura Elizabeth says:

I just wish they'd stick with the book. It makes sense that they would go out to confront the dragon; what else could they do? It was 'between [them] and the ship'. Why are Caspian, Ed, and Lu on board the ship? Why is Eustace attacking (if that's what he's doing?). How did he become a dragon if they didn't go on an island (they might have, but if not…)?

37. Countess Shamira says:

Well maybe they are just circling the island to find Eustace and Eustace spots them first then tries to land on the DT while they shoot the arrows at him!

38. Jane Eyre says:

well, in the book they do come armed and ready for battle

39. King Skandar the Just says:

I was really hard to see what's going on, but it was cool!

40. por de falto el ragon y en video no se ve jejejejeje pero burno pero esta chido todo bye

41. Puddleglum says:

I am wondering how they will do the scene where dragon/Eustace meets Aslan.
    I believe that to be one of the most important scenes in the whole book.

42. pselpevensie says:

OMG TAMARA!!!! YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY!!!!!! I WANT TO BE THERE SOOOOOOOO BADLY!!!
    BTW- why ARE they on the boat?? dragon eustace never goes on the boat??!!

43. Puddleglum says:

Could it have been the sea serpent attack that busted the tail off the Dawn Treader?

44. Michael Lagura says:

Making this scene is a better idea. It adds more action to the film. Expectations from moviegoers totally differ from the readers. Come on, this is HOLLYWOOD! Genius… Genius idea. Two thumbs up!!!

45. Sean M says:

I think it's hilarious…all you folks commenting on the girl's language, and all i caught was an OMG. Course i was listening to some music at the same time, wasn't really listening to the girls. But about the scene, i think they're trying add tension to the meeting between the crew and Dragon-Eustace…like several others have said.

46. J. G. Heck says:

do they plan to put the boat on real water?

47. iLiveInNarnia says:

Interesting..I'm still not sure what I think. And..what would happen if they DID leave Eustace behind?? It would just be strange.

48. Alambil and Tarvis says:

I actually don't have a problem with them changing this part; I think it's going to be funny :p

Although apparently the scene before this is Lucy talking to that mysterious girl, so it means that she can't be some random vision on the Nightmare Island. Who IS she?!? O_o

NOO PLOT CHANGES!! *freaks out*

49. Jaycinth says:

Well Eustace did witness the death of another dragon. Maybe this is that dragon before it died.

• waleed sajjad says:

i don't think its the dragon that died cuz that wuld meaan they saw it recently. it couldn,t have beeen flying juss before it died, and thers nothing on the dawn treader to do him any harm.

and anyway:arrows don't hurt them either!!

1. September 14, 2009