Official: Netflix Developing New Narnia Movies and Series!

Posted October 3, 2018 9:47 am by The Rose-Tree Dryad

It’s official! C.S. Lewis’s beloved classic series The Chronicles of Narnia is headed to Netflix, according to a post shared on the official Narnia Facebook page.

Series and Feature Films

Netflix will develop “new series and film projects” based on The Chronicles of Narnia.

Producer Mark Gordon says this collaboration has “the capacity to translate the Narnia universe into both stellar feature-length and episodic programming.”

Deal Includes All 7 Books

It is the first time the rights to all seven books of The Chronicles of Narnia have been held by the same company. Mark Gordon, Vincent Sieber, and Douglas Gresham will serve as executive producers for series and as producers for feature films. All of the series and films will be Netflix productions, in collaboration with The C.S. Lewis Company and eOne.

What About The Silver Chair Movie?

There has been no word on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair movie since director Joe Johnston said he hoped to begin filming Winter 2018. Here is everything we know about that project.

What do you think about this news? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Related:

• Glumpuddle says:

Hallelujah!! I have a high opinion of Netflix and I trust that the CS Lewis Company will not allow things to do too off the rails. Unlike Disney and 20th Century Fox, Netflix has a history of letting creators have lots of control.

Extremely excited for the dawn of a new era in Narnia adaptations… even though there are many unanswered questions that do make me nervous at the same time. Feature films and a series?

• JFGII says:

I don’t know what to think, but… OH, MY GOD (ASLAN)

• Forrest Lybrand says:

These press releases seem to always contain some nugget of weird/vague phrasing that derails my excitement and sets off alarm bells. What on earth do they mean by films *and* series?

That said, we’re in for some interesting days ahead. This could be incredible. Or not. I don’t know if you’ve seen the new trailer for the Netflix Sabrina the Teenage Witch series (I doubt I’ll watch it…looks a tad…Satanic?), but the production values and retro style are quite eye-catching and impressive. I would hope for the same for Narnia. My greatest fear is the modernization of the story, instead of what I hope for, which would be the embracing of the 1940’s lingo and sensibilities. As timeless as Narnia is, it’s also very dependent on the era in which it was written, and wonderfully so.

• Lord Argoz says:

Wow. I am so excited I am literally shaking.
        I read the news in The Daily Telegraph newsapaper with the headline:
        ‘Netflix to chronicle Narnia for a new generation with film and tv deal’
        The article claims, ‘Multiple television and film projects are planned, with stories developed from across the Narnia universe.’
        I don’t know what that means exactly, but boy, am I excited!
        The article also quotes Douglas Gresham as saying: ‘It is wonderful to know that folks are looking forward to seeing more of Narnia, and that the advances in production technology have made it possible for us to make Narnia adventures come to life all over the world. Netflix seems to be the very best medium with which to achieve this aim.’

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

I wouldn’t think of there being a problem with having separate television series and films at the same time. DC Comics has several live action shows on the CW and has a cinematic universe in theaters as of now, not to mention programming on their new streaming service.

My only question is in what format will the books be adapted to for the Netflix series. Live action? Animation?

• wolfloversk says:

I am excited. 🙂

• narnia fan 7 says:

What do they mean by series AND films?

• The Rose-Tree Dryad says:

That’s the big question for me! I did NOT expect that!

• narnia fan 7 says:

The first thing that comes to my mind is that they might plan to both adapted the books AND do some spinoff thing ala Amazions Lord of The Rings show. The mere thought of that makes my hair stand-up on my neck in sheer terror.

• The Rose-Tree Dryad says:

I would be a lot more scared if Narnia was in public domain, but I don’t think that Douglas Gresham would let them just go crazy with adding new stuff. And yet I really don’t know what to make of this!

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

I think the movie is going to be canceled but dang it at this point I don’t even care:0:D This is too exciting!

• Col Klink says:

I’m really confused by that too. Maybe since The Silver Chair movie hasn’t been officially cancelled, they want to make that a movie and, say, The Horse and his Boy a series. I doubt that’s the case but…I honestly think it could work. LOL. The Silver Chair has a pretty simplistic plot while some of the other books are more complicated and could benefit from a slower paced TV series.

• Noah H. says:

I completely missed the part about film and series. Very curious. I’ve got no idea what that means but I hope would be that maybe when adapting the books they will chose to make some of them feature length movies and others mini-series. I feel like each book has its own flow and some would be better suited to each format. And the great thing about Netflix is they could absolutely do both and still hold continuity between all the adaptions. Unlike a translation studio Netflix needs both movies and series, so why not do both and let them play off of each other?

• Stormburst The Centaur says:

One article I read said that Netflix is creating a "Narnia Cinematic Universe" that specific phrasing sort of worries me. It’s not that I am afraid of cinematic universes in general, my worry is does the cinematic universe model of film-making fit the Narnia books. It’s my understanding that it just wouldn’t fit the books well. I want the Narnia films to presented in the best light possible and not diminished for the sake of increasing entertainment value. I am glad we are getting Narnia back though, and who knows maybe Netflix will surprise us (Prayerfully in a good way)

• Michael Hoggan says:

I actually think a cinematic universe would be appropriate. Lewis showed us glimpses of a Narnia that is a lot bigger than the seven books. Unlike the situation with Middle Earth, those glimpses were never really fleshed out.

• Narnia Spain says:

So happy or reading this. Narnia will be again where It deserves to be

• JFGII says:

By the Lion’s Mane…

• The Rose-Tree Dryad says:

I’m wondering if series AND films means that these execs are looking at the books and thinking, "Well, LWW/PC/VDT/SC/LB would work well as an ongoing series, because there’s a stronger thread of character continuity there, but with MN and HHB, they would probably work better as just a movie since they’re outliers." That wouldn’t surprise me…

• narnia fan 7 says:

At this point I think that’s the best case scenario.

• Felix Hyperopic says:

I hadn’t even thought about that, but that makes a lot of sense! Honestly, as long as the adaptions are thoughtful and internally cohesive, I don’t mind differing lengths.

• Monty Jose says:

I was thinking the same as Rose Tree Dryad. I was trying to imagine how to incorporate Horse and Hos Boy into the flow of the series naturally, but it didn’t really work. The Magician’s Nephew on the other hand I thought would be great to start the series with. But perhaps they’ll release the films at times that compliment the series’ storyline. I don’t know what that would look like, especially if GlumPuddle’s theory about two books a season is true

• Cleander says:

WHA-HA-HA-HA-HAT?!!?!?!? This is amazing news! And I think I’m actually happy about this. Now there will be an episode series AND a film series, so everyone gets what they wanted! Now if they just have the Silver Chair go on its way with Joe Johnston at the helm, and if the films come out on DVD, I will be VERY happy. As in deliriously ecstatic. I’m not too worried about the quality of these productions as long Douglas Gresham is in charge. Netflix is looking for more family-friendly programming, so I don’t think they’ll ruin the books from a Christian/moral perspective. I just hope they don’t try to "declaw" Narnia by making it merely a series of "just believe in yourself" kind of self-help lessons for children. Hopefully Gresham will make sure of that.
    P.S.- Hey, we finally got some actual news! How about that! Now I’m waiting to hear just what this means for the Silver Chair.

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

I think the SC movie is doomed, like I can’t see Netflix willing to share their toys with movies and vice versa, just look at the Marvel TV/Netflix vs Marvel Movies. But where it makes sense for Marvel too have multiple platforms due to its wide fanbase, I don’t think Narnia is mainstream enough or has enough material to have TV and movies.

Like the on average people go to the movies once a month (some way more, some like myself go way less). I can’t see general audiences paying $10+ for a ticket to see franchise they’re getting free (not really but you know what I mean).

• Barana says:

Or animal lovers causing the drop of wolfsbane’s slaying of morgran by the sword.I hope the PC busybodies are thrown out by their ear.

• daughter of the King says:

The things that happen while I’m sleeping! It’s nice to hear some actual news. Not sure what’s up with the implication of both films and a series. There is still plenty of room for speculation!

• waterkid72 says:

Oh wow! This is such a welcomed surprise! But, what will happen to the Silver Chair film? I have so many questions now! But I’m hopeful now that my beloved series will finally see the light of day in live-action.

• Fledge1 says:

I am going to stay positive about this. I really hope they keep it family friendly. I have read them with my first two kids and now my youngest and i are experiencing it all over again! So really excited for this!

• Tess Eleniel says:

This is so exciting! I LOVE their Unfortunate Events series so I have nothing but optimism about them doing the Narnia series justice!

• GreenKirtleLady says:

I have to say I am still very wary about this.. perhaps because I I am so attached to the Walden Media films (well at least the first two) and their cast. It is exciting that something seems to actually be happening after almost ten years of waiting though.. I do put my trust in Douglas Gresham though.

• SiredeLéon says:

It would be nice to indicate the Narnian/Earth year at the start of each episodes since the books tell Narnia’s historical events from the dawn to the end of time. And starting off with LWW wouldn’t make much sense in these series of "episodes, seasons, and films".
    These good news is really a great relief

• Melanie says:

Oh Man this made my day!! ALL 7 BOOKS! And as scary as the idea is they will roll with the universe – I am also excited – that means further in for exploration to the wonder that Narnia has been <3

• William O'Flaherty says:

I do not know anything officially, or unofficially…so theses are my own thoughts/impressions…
    One way to do a series and films is to make one animated and another live-action.

• celebrimbor says:

First reaction was apprehension. Then I realized the potential here. The Horse and His Boy would be incredible if adapted well. And Silver Chair is my favourite one… I hope they still use David Magee’s script. I think as long as Douglas Gresham is involved it should at least have good intentions (nice fellow, my family and I stayed at his house one time).

As for TV show AND films, I suspect the more stand-alone books might be films and the Pevensie books as the show.

• Forrest Lybrand says:

I had an idea years ago that an interesting way to adapt Narnia would be to make the series chronologically, with a number of filler segments/episodes that cover all the cool in-between stuff that Lewis hinted at, like Queen Swanwhite, or the Witch conquering Narnia, or Peter fighting the Giants, or the Telmarines being turned into dumb beasts by Aslan, etc. There’s a lot of other adventures and events that Lewis alluded to. You could mine (some would argue milk) the books for these exciting off-screen moments, in order to compose a more comprehensive series.

Now, I have no idea if that would work on a dramatic, narrative level. And it would certainly make the adaptation feel like the Narnian Bible, rather than the seven Chronicles of Narnia.

• Barana says:

*IMO* unless you have a particularly skilled author that writes the narniaverse books like jack did which is highlighted in planet narnia, I think it will read/watch like clanging symbols and turning wine back into water.*IMO*

• Chris says:

I am so glad this rumor turned out to be true just because any new narnia news to me is always good. Like everyone else I am confused about the “new series and film projects” quote but I honestly think its a very broad statement and too early for them to have any real plan in mind of what they are actually going to do with the books and that might be why that quote was made, to cover all possible options of what they might decide to do.
    If Netflix’s the crown is anything to go by Narnia should be in good hands; huge budget, great writing and none of the Hollywood studio meddling that made the later walden narnia films and hobbit films so bland and boring.

• Andrew Gilbertson says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve already written Netflix with both congratulations, and a recommendation they get David Suchet to reprise his Aslan voice. I think we should make it a campaign…

Trepidatious, but excited about this news!

• JFGII says:

I think I’ve got it: The Chronicles of Narnia (A Netflix Original Series)

The PEVENSIE Series

Season 1:
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    Season 2:
    Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia
    Season 3:
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Then… The ASLAN Movies (Released in theaters after the series and before going to Netflix)

The Silver Chair

The Horse and His Boy

The Magician’s Nephew

The Last Battle

There’s your series and your films 🙂

• farsightings says:

Perhaps NarniaWebbers can play a more vocal role in influencing the outcome and consistency and creativity of the… flims? and… series? due to the stronger role of social media. There are many Narnia scholars here who can help contribute to the films in some way. You who have an eye for details from the books and from Jack’s external references in letters and poetry, Time to be loud enough to get "their" attention.

• farsightings says:

Here’s my first contribution: include the Narnia Suite at some point in the series, C.S. Lewis’ original Narnia poetry:

March for Strings, Kettledrums, and Sixty-three Dwarfs

March for Drum, Trumpet, and Twenty-one Giants

• Glumpuddle says:

At the very least, with Netflix usually targeting more niche audiences, NarniaWebbers should represent a larger percentage of the target audience.

So keep posting comments! Let’s make our voices heard.

• Steven Gresham says:

So Your Saying to me that there will be no Narnia: The Silver Chair will not be made into a film, previously back last year in November i written to Joe Johnston about doing this film properly i know it’s his last film. Come On Brian it’s been 8 and almost 9 years now, The Film needs to be made this should’ve been taken earlier when they were younger.

And Now Gresham want’s to get ride of David Magee’s Script and The Director who hasn’t directed the film.
        No I’m not taken that crap out of you. 🙁
        If He’s not going to start out The New Narnia Films.
        then that means I Will Not see you or Gresham anymore i know your trying to do your job but what are going to ruin Narnia for The Fans and Yourself of Make so what’s it going to be Make This Film
        or Give Narnia witch one.
        If you say make this film Ill be happy but if not Ill be very angry.
        Thank You.

• Traveler to the Real Narnia says:

YES!!!!! This news made my week!!

Something I would really like to see is for Netflix to use the same actors/actresses for the same characters for the entire series/films/whatever, MN to LB. Then we can watch the characters progress through out the entire production. The only ones I’d be ok with swapping out would be the older Digory and Polly where they appear after MN, given the age difference. That was one of the few things I had been disappointed about the SC movie was the fact that everything would be new; that’s all well and good, except when you’re picking up a series from where it was left off before! (I know, I know, most of them are too old. But still.)

P.S. Netflix, please don’t make the same mistake Disney did in VDT and go on a movie-making extravaganza! The books are tried and true and worth sticking with whenever possible.

• Lucy the Valiant says:

My friend just saw this on Netflix’s Facebook and told me. I’ve never opened my computer and run here to NarniaWeb so fast in my life!!!!
    I don’t even know how to process this yet. The first thing that comes to mind, though, is that if they try to make Narnia into an MCU-styled franchise, I will not be pleased.

• Glumpuddle says:

I showed my wife the headline and her jaw dropped.

I told her "series AND feature films" and she spilled her water bottle everywhere. haha

• Fledge1 says:

I have talked about this all day at work. All I can think about and have googled all the information I can find. I really hope they do a great job!

• Cleander says:

Could not wait to tell my brother about this!(We’re the two biggest Narnia fans in our family, I think.) This is really earth-shaking news!(sort of.)At any rate, my hands were shaking when I saw the post this morning!

• Throne Warden says:

HERE WE GO!!!!

This’ll be interesting…

• Thunderfist says:

This is great!! So excited that it’s actually happening!!

• Bundibird says:

With Douglas Gresham (CS Lewis’ stepson) as an executive producer, I have very high hopes for this series. He’s extremely protective of the stories, and has always been the best advocate for keeping the films to the spirit of Narnia. He got railroaded in VotDT, and has since said he learnt his lesson on that film and would be making sure that any future adaptations would be more under his creative control. So with him as EP on this? I have faith.

• twinimage says:

WOW! Very excited for this. Finally!.. I’ve said for years Narnia should be a mini series, cause movies can’t do them justice.

QUESTION: Perhaps this could be discussed in Talking Beast podcast. How does Netflix play into all this, per say? What will that "look like"? What I mean is, it says these will be "Netflix Productions". I’m not familiar with how Netflix does things. Does Netflix do the actual script writing, pre-production, filming, post-production, etc for all the shows? Or does Netflix just provide distribution/streaming for their shows and some consulting on the side? I ask, because Netflix seems to do well with pumping out seasons of their popular shows, so I wonder if we’ll see Narnia seasons/movies being produced faster than your usual Hollywood sequels.

• MayaJ says:

Does anyone have an email address for Douglas Gresham?

• Fireberry says:

I would like that address too, if possible. I’d like to ask him a respectful, serious professional question, and Susan’s Horn is not at hand. 🙂

• Fireberry says:

Mr Gresham’s involvement makes me optimistic that this will be done right, and not appall us with anything like a Jill-Eustace romance. I hope DG’s health permits him to supervise the whole super-project, and/or that he has appointed a worthy executor/successor just in case he is called home while still in progress.

• kingPeter1 says:

What a good surprise.. I’m hopeful for these upcoming movies and series to be pretty awesome and well-made. But will this step affect the release of the upcoming "The Silver Chair" adaptation which is slated for probably next year?

• Frodo Lives says:

This IS The Silver Chair… i think. It’s evolved into an entire new thing. SC was originally going to re-boot the series afresh from the 3 previous movies by "reinvigorating" the franchise with Sony distributing, but now it seems like Sony lost out, with Mark Gordon and Douglas Gresham have taken Narnia away from them and given it to netflix.I don’t know about netflix, but its probably a better choice than a big studio. SC will still definitely get made, i’m sure, with eONE producing as planned.

• kingPeter1 says:

Yeah, and i hope they stay true to the book don’t remove or tone down any christian messages from the books. It would be great if Netflix uses the main theme score (battle song) from the previously-made movies.

• Reepicheep775 says:

After thinking about the Netflix option for a while, I think I feel better about this than the SC movie. I’m looking forward to a fresh start. Further up and further in!

• AslanNarnia says:

Well I guess The Silver Chair movie is not happening. I hope the order of any new series will be

The Magician’s Nephew
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    The Horse and His Boy
    Prince Caspian
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    The Silver Chair
    The Last Battle

Seeing how short-lived Netflix shows are I wonder how far down this list they will get before cancellation occurs.

• Mscottster444 says:

As long as they don’t try make any of the characters gay, specially Lucy, since she is described as gay but it doesn’t mean gay as most people think in today’ culture. But if they keep it clean, can y’all imagine the Last Battle. With Tirian, Jewel, Jill, and Eustace fighting at the Stable Door. I get shivers thinking about it. Ahhhhhh. I am praying that Netflix does not politicize this. Since DG is Executive Producer I have hope. We shall see.

• Cleander says:

Man, did this thing get everyone’s attention or what? I was the 9th or 10th person to comment on this post this morning. Now we’re up to 62 comments and climbing!!!

• Hawk Satoshi Sniper Ketchum (the HawkShot) says:

this looks interesting to see
    and no im not jumping into conditions
    Word of advice: Dont assume too easily over something new
    i mean seriously this is Narnia we are talking about

and im interest to see this

• Prince Norin says:

My take on the whole “both film and series” thing… I think maybe they are just being smart and leaving their options open as to how to beat adapt each book. Some (like LWW) may make better films, while others may work better TV series (I’ve personally always thought VDT would work better as a TV series). I think having both as options may be the best way to provide faithful adaptations of the books. On the whole, I am very excited about this.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I have strongly mixed feelings. Narnia deserves the big screen.
    Buut I will still watch the Netflix programming.

• Movie Aristotle says:

Sigh. “Netflix Original” just has a certain undesirable ring to it. I can’t quite explain, other than to say that it makes me think of failed projects that wouldn’t work anywhere else. To me, this is as if the producers are admitting that audiences wouldn’t be very interested in seeing The Silver Chair on the big screen.

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I know what you mean and I agree.

• Fantasia_kitty says:

Movie Aristotle, I have no idea how familiar you are with Netflix, but "Netflix Original " is their production name they put on all the programming they’ve released for themselves.
      Just like starting off LWW you have the Walden Media and Walt Disney logos.
      Otherwise Netflix is just the host of uploaded movies.

• fantasia_kitty says:

I misread your comment MA, so you can ignore my above comment. 😛

I see what you’re saying and I suspect there’s a lot of truth to it, but on the other hand, I can think of multiple stories throughout history where some enterprising person tried to sell their product to multiple big-name companies, was rejected, and found the right tiny company to go into business with, and turned out to be a success. Hopefully that’s what will happen here.

I know there’s just as much of a possibility that I’ll hate whatever eOne and Netflix turns out as if they went through Sony, but I’m far more optimistic that as Netflix has more to lose here, they’re more likely to turn out a decent set of films with their hands-off approach. 🙂

• Col Klink says:

I wonder if you (and I) would feel better if we hadn’t known about The Silver Chair movie they were trying to make. If we assumed that eOne and the C.S. Lewis estate wanted to make a Netflix series from the beginning, it would feel more exciting and not like they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel. I hate to encourage people not to follow Narniaweb though. LOL.

• Movie Aristotle says:

Good point. I was looking forward to the Joe Johnston/David Magee project. I think I would be much more excited about the Netflix projects if this news came after 10 years of dead air.

After having a day to think it over, I’m more optimistic towards the possibilities that Netflix can provide. Still, I wonder over what could have been.

• Tami says:

IM REALLY EXCITED❤ I LOVE NARNIA
    Mr. Gresham involvement is very important. It makes me think the film and series could be a great idea! The whole world is waiting for something AMAZING,faithfully adapted to the books by C.S Lewis.(Narnia fans are more interested about this because for us the adaptation should be 100% right. We need the films and series become in the books. It would be amazing. the more faithful to the books, the more we’ll love the series and films.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME! Is it too much to ask?
    PLEASE DONT LET US DOWN!

• J Paper says:

I agree with your comment on the Facebook Live video, GlumPuddle. The comment is that we want our voices to be heard because the Chronicles are so special to us.

For me, Narnia makes me feel very nostalgic about my childhood. I have recently re-read 5 of the Chronicles and Lewis still teaches me about Life through his expert handling of real themes. The characters mean a lot and the values of victory, joy and kindness are epic to me.

• Jillian says:

Oh my word! So at first I didn’t like the idea of a Narnia Netflix deal and voted no on the poll but after listening to Glumpuddle and Gymfan’s podcast I decided it would be cool and wished I could change my vote. Now it’s true yay!! But I wonder what they mean by series and film hmmmm.

• Andy Harrelson says:

It’s such a relief to know an Netflix original series won’t interfere with the films! (At least from what I can read) Looking forward to it!

• Fireflower says:

I don’t know what makes me happier… the news that we are FINALLY getting something Narnia after what feels like 100 years of winter (with no Christmas) or that there’s still so many people here on NarniaWeb who still care and love Narnia as much as I do!!

• Glumpuddle says:

It has been over a decade since I have sensed this much potential for Narnia adaptations.

I thought there was a chance The Silver Chair movie could be good, but I had very little hope it would be GREAT.

With these Netflix productions, my hopes are very high. *crosses fingers*

• Lord Argoz says:

I have the same feeling. I have higher hopes that we will get an excellent adaption of Narnia than I ever have.
      Here are a few of the reasons:
      1) Netflix have a history and a reputation for creating high quality content.
      2) Netflix has a history of getting people on board their projects who are real fans of the original sources and understand the spirit of those sources. People who want to create an adaption for that more niche market, i.e. the fans. Us. People who love the books and the world and not just your average popcorn-munching cinema goer.
      3) Douglas Gresham has apparently given his blessing and will be on board.
      4) Since they have purchased the rights to all the books, they obviously aren’t doing this thing by halves. They have fully committed, and that suggests that the films will have a pretty high budget, high production value, stellar cast etc.
      My guess is that this is bit of a retaliation to Amazon Prime’s Lord of the Rings acquisition, and so it will have to compete with that in terms of scope and scale. Hopefully they still stay true to the spirit of the books though.
      5) Since Netflix isn’t the cinema, they can fit the format to the books rather than the books to the format. So they don’t have to cram each book into a 2-and-a-half-hour time frame with a clear beginning, middle and end, they can do whatever does justice to the source material.
      As you can see, I’m pretty chuffed!

• Telmarine says:

I don’t mean to be a negative Nancy but I’m not very optimistic about this turn of events. I feel like this series is regressing and I’m very concerned about the production quality of whatever series or films come out of this. Have any of you seen the Netflix series “A series of unfortunate events”? The production quality is just not up to par with a feature-length fantasy film. If you were to take that series and release it on the box office it would receive criticism for looking lower budget and not as realistic which unfortunately would be correct. Netflix is not going to invest $100 million and a feature-length film and unfortunately that is what it’s going to take for a Narnia film to look as beautiful as the previous ones. And to spend $100 million on a film would warrant it being released in theaters. Let’s hope I’m wrong but it is the worst news I’ve heard in a very long time about Narnia

• Mayor Wilkins says:

I too am concerned about the production quality. Now, I love the BBC series from my childhood. But the effects and production values were not the greatest. I can overlook it because it means so much to me.

But are we basically headed for a situation like that? A BBC-type series that, while true to Narnia’s spirit, perhaps, just doesn’t look like the best finished product. I can’t say for sure, of course. But all I’m saying is, small-screen can be very different from big-screen. Especially if you’re talking about streaming service providers.

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

Telemarine, I understand your point and yes I have seen A Series of Unfortunate Events. However, I think the choice for the bad green screen (like when they’re on the trolley with Justice Strauss or at Dr. Montgomery’s house) is to hint that their sense of safety and happiness is going to be short-lived.

Their costumes (especially Olaf and his troop’s) are great and I don’t think I’d classify it as a fantasy. More like noir comedy where the absurdity of their desperate situations is emphasized with unbelievable settings and Snicket (sometimes Olaf) breaking the 4th wall.

However, since I grew up a giant fan of the books but despise the movie adaptation, I might be biased:)

• JFGII says:

Guys, about Netflix doing Narnia:
      I agree Netflix’s big-budget ASOUE production feels cheeper than the 2004 movie (The Oscar-nominated production, costumes, make-up and music still hold up 14 years later).
      But Netflix’s version is closer to the bleak, morbid aesthetic of the books.
      The movie obviously had the best in Hollywood making it, and has great production values (I love Thomas Newman’s moody score) but it’s not quite Lemeny Snicket.
      Similar to how Narnia (2005) has great production values, but doesn’t quite feel like CS Lewis’s Narnia. A really cool version of Narnia, but not quite NARNIA. No adaptation has cracked that code yet.
      Netflix needs to find really talented filmmakers who understand and love Narnia, then it might work very well, regardless of the budget.

• farsightings says:

Hear, hear.

• JFGII says:

Imagine how stoked I was when I read the Narnia report from 2017 that said Thomas Newman would be composing the music for The Silver Chair: I nearly cried. 😉 An hour later I realized it was all a fake 🙁

• Col Klink says:

I haven’t seen the Netflix Unfortune Events series but I don’t remember the commercials looking bad.

(I don’t really like the Series of Unfortunate Events books much. I feel that the author comes across as a bit of a snob. Like he thinks people who like morbid things, like his books, are smart and sophisticated while people who like cheerful things are dumb. I suspect he’s kind of a jerk in real life. But I understand why those books are popular. They can be fun in small doses.)

• Keeper of Lantern Waste says:

I particularly enjoyed was the author’s random tangents and commentary but it isn’t for everyone:) incidentally he referenced Narnia in one of his books albeit insultingly. (the book was automatically interesting because of the kidnapping but was ruined by the arrival of Santa Clause)

• Barana says:

For me, I’d be more than happy if it lands somewhere between BBC and Sony,but not compromising on its narnianess, If per chance ANY NARNIA SCRIPTWRITERS ARE READING THIS, means,not leaving out the seemgly inexplicable details that semingly go nowhere, the ‘icebergs’ in the story, because its those very details that tie in with situations and concepts in the other books,are mysterious and draw people back into the books (yes even when they are hard at work,when people tend to ponder these little details and wonder what they mean-its the other books details that often quench their thirst and fill them in,sometimes days months and YEARS later) I believe it is that pondering/hooking effect that Netflix are looking for.

• Cleander says:

Wow, 85 comments! You can tell what gets people excited around here; we’ve been hearing from Narniawebbers I never knew were there! When was the last time that a post got this many comments in just 2 days??
    P.S.- I’m feeling better and better about this Netflix idea as more people continue to leave optimistic comments. Hopefully Narniawebbers and other Narnia fans can have a stronger voice in these productions! Any petition ideas, anyone? (Example: Don’t change the English setting or the time periods!)

• Mayor Wilkins says:

Yes! Please don’t change the setting or time period.
      I’m sure we all remember that scrapped idea of the modern-day Narnia, and the White Witch tempting Edmund with cheeseburgers. *Cringe*

But also, I’d like them to use more book dialogue. Stuff that is taken right from the text.

• Cleander says:

CHEESEBURGERS?!?!?!? Seriously? That’s exactly why I do not want to see a modernized/Americanized Narnia adaptation.

• Col Klink says:

I was going to mind modernizing the parts of the stories that take place in "our world." Modernizing the Narnian parts would be terrible but changing the time period for say, the professor’s house or Experiment House, would be a little disappointing but not that big of a deal.

Then I remembered The Magician’s Nephew which has more parts that take place in this world than any of the other books. I definitely wouldn’t want the time period changed for those. (Especially since they’d have to change Fledge from a cabhorse who accidentally came to Narnia to a native Narnian.)

• Barana says:

I think Netflix needs to be reminded that steampunk (Georgian/Victorian england) is fashionable. Look I’m no moviehead like glumpuddle et all but its not unrealistic to think that costumers and set designers can still be period correct , and can still embellish a little steampunk without distracting from a set of m.n. nor the story.
        That would not work for austere england C1939+

• Dave says:

Hey everyone. Just want to congratulate you all! I’ve been checking this website every few months for 6 years and am so thankful to see this type of development. I could have lived with just the audio theater version, but yeah, this is pretty awesome. Take it all in my friends, take it all in

• Narnian88 says:

This is fantastic news!!!
    A BBC style mini-series? YES! And movies? A hundred times yes! As long as everything is "by the book", I’ll be watching.
    And that’s really all any of us want; a true to the books story.
    It will be interesting to see what exactly they mean by both, however as long as it’s good, it shall mean more adventures in Narnia.

If they want to start fresh with their own LWW, that’s fine by me. But if they chose to leave the trilogy as the beginning of the story, I’ll go along with it (except VDT).

• Narnia Dad and Fan says:

Cleander wrote, "we’ve been hearing from Narniawebbers I never knew were there!" Well, that was enough of a prompt for me to comment here as well, because I’ve been reading Narnia Web for some time with my kid-now-turned-teen.

We have both been extremely eager and excited for production of The Silver Chair to take place. My wonderful and talented teen who also has a big heart for Narnia would like to fly to NZ to take part in filming –even as an extra– if it were possible.

It is exciting to envision resources, finances, and energy being invested in Narnia, and presumably this will most-likely actually take place with Netflix involvement.

But we are concerned about what will happen with The Silver Chair movie…. we’ve been waiting for Silver Chair as soon as having finished watching Dawn Treader (in spite of some disappointment with DT).

We would have liked to see the feature-length Silver Chair released and continue into more movies for the big screen, eventually to cover all of the books. There may be inadequate popularity but for our part we regularly talk about how much we’d like to see Narnia merchandise routinely available in our local retail stores. (We’d like many more people to share our enthusiasm for the Chronicles!, and we recognize that exposure plays a very big part in eventual popularity.)

We’re hoping for the best outcome with Netflix (when is the casting call??) but like most everyone I suppose, we’d like to learn more about The Silver Chair … and we kinda hope that somehow it wouldn’t be abandoned or "supplanted" by the Netflix agreement.

• Cleander says:

Good of you to join us, sir! I share your sentiments about the Silver Chair film, but I think that if Netflix is taking it over it may simply serve to hasten the production (it needs all the hastening it can get!) Perhaps if the order JFGII suggested for the films is followed, we can see the Silver Chair come out soon. (And hopefully on DVD.)

• Kaspian says:

I must confess i don’t get this level of excitment on this stage. Like seriously TV show? This needs to go in theaters.This is precisely why i hate Netflix and streaming. Lotr, Witcher, Narnia, Barbar those properies are made for IMAX not on computer. I am very excited for Johnson’s Silver Chair, because that is feature lenght movie.There is massive difference between watching movie home or in IMAX.So far i am out of this overly excited train and facing the truth that Narnia sadly will never get Hary Potter treatment on big screen.

• Narnian88 says:

I was hoping to see another Narnia film on the big screen, as well. But that is looking less likely, and if it does happen, it could be years from now.
      If Netflix keeps to the books, I’ll be satisfied.

• Hermitess of Narnia says:

I’m glad to hear the news, of course, I worry that Netflix tends to produce things that are generally for a different audience than Narnia and I worry because I know that in order to make a television series they will have to add content in to lengthen the stories.
    As long as the right people are working on this, and try to keep it Narnian rather than simply modernizing the story, maybe it will be good.
    But even a mediocre Narnia series is better than none at all in my opinion.

• Yerdif says:

Hi everyone. I just read this news, and my first reaction was to be extremely worried, not because of the quality (Netflix has put out very high visual quality), but what they might do to the story if they have creative control. I was extremely disappointed in what they did to Anne of Green Gables (ruining the hope, innocence and values with seemingly endless anx, adding liberal idiology directly or indirectly, etc), as well as the awful effects 13 Reasons Why has had. I don’t know what you think about this, but I’m rather concerned. A possitive thing is that perhaps the greater involvement of Douglas Greshom might prevent that, and Netflix seems to be willing to put up things from across the board, both good and bad. What do you all think?

• Monty Jose says:

I hear you. But because Gresham and the C.S. Lewis estate are so involved, I would not worry too much. Besides, Netflix has had some clean content lately (Lost in Space) without heavy-handed ideaology one may disagree with. And I think Gresham regrets the freedom he gave the filmmakers the first time around, especially in regards to VDT. He was very pressured to allow certain changes to take place and I’ll bet he’s very adamant on not allowing it to happen again.

• Narnian88 says:

If they ruin it, there will be a huge backlash.
      I hope Mr. Gresham, first of all, wants a true to the books story, and that he keeps them on track.
      Follow the books is all we ask. Small variances like the final battle in LWW, which we only see the end of in the book, is fine. It didn’t really (IMHO) take away from the movie and gave it more action for those that like that sort of thing.

• Monty Jose says:

While I’m extremely excited for this, I must admit it’s going to be hard for them to win me over with a new set of Pevensies (in contrast to Walden’s cast). Especially in regards to Lucy and a close second with Edmund.

All the same, I’m ready to see Digory and Polly come to life 😀

• Yerdif says:

What do you think about having Horse and his Boy as part of an overarching story that begins with LWW. For example, bringing in Archenland after the coronarions, which everything that happens there.

• Yerdif says:

Oops, sorry, I menat coronations. Also, this would mean starting with Magician’s Nephew as Season 1, which I would personally prefer. What do you think?

• Monty Jose says:

I’ve had the same thought and I think that would be really cool. See? There are better ways to tie the stories together than adding a green mist XD you just have to tease what’s coming next with a little overlap or dialogue that leaves you hanging.

• Roger says:

I have waited a few days to see what others think and to get my thoughts together. This does blow my mind. Many good ideas here. This is good news.

I agree with The Rose-Tree Dryad that LWW/PC/VDT/SC and LB could make a great series. I assume that this would be on the small screen. Remember that LWW was the only movie to make a profit. We all need to think smaller if this is going to continue. The movies so far have fallen short. They were about epic battles or epic good-vs-evil. The story took a back seat. LWW was good but it had problems. They had huge visual effects. These cost a lot of money and, IMHO, only Disney does visual effects consistently well. Disney also has very deep pockets. Hopefully Netflix will concentrate on the story and look at the whole series.

For example, imagine how you would react if you came face-to-face with Aslan for the first time. I would become a babbling idiot hardly able to talk. I think this is illustrated by a BBC documentary filmed nine years ago celebrating the fortieth anniversary of men first landing on the moon. The 12 people that walked on the moon were never the same afterward. BBC sent their presenter James May to Beale Air Force Base outside Sacramento, California to ride a U-2 aircraft to 70,000 feet. A space suit is required for this ride or you die. From there he could see the blackness of space and the curvature of the earth. Aslan’s Country in SC would be very similar to this except one could breathe without a space suit, and there is no curvature of Narnia, and it would be much warmer, but the view would be very similar. Look at this video from the documentary.

Notice how his attitude changes during the ride. Listen to him. He becomes quiet at the end. He was obviously strongly affected by his ride. I would react that way if I met Aslan. The movies never got this right. They were more concerned about effects, battles and getting that great shot more than about the story and real emotions. They took the subtleties out of the stories. This is mostly about good acting and directing and a faithful script and minimal visual effects. The religious aspects of the stories will take care of themselves if you tell the story right. No green mist please.

The name of this documentary is: "James May On The Moon". Amazon.co.uk has a few copies in stock. If you look closely you can see how going to another planet or moon can change someone.

We would all be changed by going to Narnia. I can understand more why Susan was not in LB. Many other details to argue but at another time.

• Col Klink says:

I don’t really "get" why people say that the story is more important than the visual effects when it comes to Narnia. The visuals kind of are Narnia to me. When I was a kid, I was initially drawn to Narnia by things like the statues slowly coming to life (like a piece of paper catching fire only in reverse), trees eating dirt that looks like chocolate, a woman turning into a giant snake and a broken cross bar growing into a new lamppost. Those are the reasons I think these are the reasons that a visual adaptation of Narnia intrigues me.

I really like what you said about how people should react to meeting Aslan though. It’d be cool if the director or the actors read your comment and were really inspired. (It’d also be really unlikely 🙁 but a nice thought.)

• Kaspian says:

Well that depends if you are child or not. If you are,naturally you are attracted to visuals, fantasy, creatures, magic and the story is on second place.If you are adult with some literature background, you understand that there is more to this story than meets the eye and that that this is basically reteling of Bible, which is huge.Every single big movie is not about visuals or creatures but simple human emotions and Narnia has plenty of it. Proof: Final battle in LWW takes place on one page in book instead Lewis writes about Lucy and Susan playing with resurected Aslan. Most important is story, characters, emotions and message. If you don’t have these things, you don’t have good story. Can’t get behind idea of Narnia being on TV but there will be plenty of time to go slowly so that is good thing. At this point this could go eithet way, need more info.

• Roger says:

I know a lot of people love visual effects, but my point was that because of money and the smaller audiences, we need to tone down our expectations a little on the expensive part of a movie, visual effects, or there will not be any more Narnia movies. Spend the money on really good actors. I love seeing great acting. I am probably much older than you, I am retired, and, therefore, I love story. The Narnia books are among my all-time favorites. I have been an engineer all my life, and technology does not impress me. Good stories do impress me. This is our last shot.

• The Rose-Tree Dryad says:

Excellent thoughts, Roger! And thanks for sharing that video… what a great way to illustrate the kind of effect that Aslan should have on people! I really hope the filmmakers understand this about the character.

• Narnian88 says:

I quite agree about Aslan. It always bugged me that he was normal size in the movies, and would often be looking up at people. In the books, Aslan never looked UP at people (Except the giant in the witch’s castle). By the lion’s mane, he is THE lion!

If Netflix fixes this one error, they will score huge points with me.

• Matthew Musgrave says:

Crazy "coincidence" or not, this news comes out the same day as the podcast lamp post listener releases their "Deeper magic from before the dawn of time" summary. A symbol of resurrection?

• Kaspian says:

Any showrunner/ director comes to mind?What about Wes Anderson??

• Pattertwig's Pal says:

I’m really not sure what to think about this. I’m disappointed, confused, and worried about faithful adaptation. I suppose some of this could come from only having a vague knowledge of how Netflix works. I’ve come to realize that I don’t trust anyone to make a good adaptation. I’ve learned that what I think is important in the books other might not. I don’t doubt that Mr. Gresham and the estate love the books. I do wonder if what they think are the essential parts of the books align with what I think are very important.

Does this mean that Sony/TriStar is out?

• CJR says:

I think this is great news!

While I was excited to see what would become of Narnia on the big screen, I also feared for its success as some people were connected to the Walden movies and possibly not respond well to a new look. With Netflix, we don’t need to worry as much about it and while I’m sad I won’t get to see more Narnia in theaters, Netflix at least gives their shows some good budgets. I’m excited to see the stories retold at a decent budget level, hoping we’ll finally get to the later stories.

• Frodo Lives says:

Narnia might still go back to the big screen – a reboot not withstanding. Netflix finance feature films that show in theaters (Mudbound, Cloverfield Paradox etc). If Netflix is making Narnia into BOTH feature films and TV/mini series, we could definetly see Narnia return to theatrical exhibition. Starting with The Silver Chair? I think that’s out for now 🙁 but maybe The Magician’s Nephew? 😉

• Fledge says:

This is very exciting news. Possibility of a series is great,because details can be left in that would normally be thrown out in a movie.

I guess the silver chair of Sony has been broken by a true Narnian.By the lions mane!

• waggawerewolf27 says:

Netflix? Don’t you have to have a subscription, wait until the season is filmed, then wait some more before the DVD’s come out? Was all that stuff about The Silver chair a complete waste of time? And will I ever live long enough to see that movie ever made anyway? I feel like crying.

• Claire Chrissy lxy says:

Oh my ASLAN!This day finally comes!❤

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry