Official: Netflix Developing New Narnia Movies and Series!

It’s official! C.S. Lewis’s beloved classic series The Chronicles of Narnia is headed to Netflix, according to a post shared on the official Narnia Facebook page.

Series and Feature Films

Netflix will develop “new series and film projects” based on The Chronicles of Narnia.

Producer Mark Gordon says this collaboration has “the capacity to translate the Narnia universe into both stellar feature-length and episodic programming.”

Deal Includes All 7 Books

It is the first time the rights to all seven books of The Chronicles of Narnia have been held by the same company. Mark Gordon, Vincent Sieber, and Douglas Gresham will serve as executive producers for series and as producers for feature films. All of the series and films will be Netflix productions, in collaboration with The C.S. Lewis Company and eOne.

What About The Silver Chair Movie?

There has been no word on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair movie since director Joe Johnston said he hoped to begin filming Winter 2018. Here is everything we know about that project.

What do you think about this news? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Related:

147 Responses

1. Matthew Musgrave says:

Crazy "coincidence" or not, this news comes out the same day as the podcast lamp post listener releases their "Deeper magic from before the dawn of time" summary. A symbol of resurrection?

2. Kaspian says:

Any showrunner/ director comes to mind?What about Wes Anderson??

3. Pattertwig's Pal says:

I'm really not sure what to think about this. I'm disappointed, confused, and worried about faithful adaptation. I suppose some of this could come from only having a vague knowledge of how Netflix works. I've come to realize that I don't trust anyone to make a good adaptation. I've learned that what I think is important in the books other might not. I don't doubt that Mr. Gresham and the estate love the books. I do wonder if what they think are the essential parts of the books align with what I think are very important.

Does this mean that Sony/TriStar is out?

• narnia fan 7 says:

I think it's probably safe to say that Sony/TriStar are completely out of the picture at this point.

4. CJR says:

I think this is great news!

While I was excited to see what would become of Narnia on the big screen, I also feared for its success as some people were connected to the Walden movies and possibly not respond well to a new look. With Netflix, we don't need to worry as much about it and while I'm sad I won't get to see more Narnia in theaters, Netflix at least gives their shows some good budgets. I'm excited to see the stories retold at a decent budget level, hoping we'll finally get to the later stories.

• Frodo Lives says:

Narnia might still go back to the big screen – a reboot not withstanding. Netflix finance feature films that show in theaters (Mudbound, Cloverfield Paradox etc). If Netflix is making Narnia into BOTH feature films and TV/mini series, we could definetly see Narnia return to theatrical exhibition. Starting with The Silver Chair? I think that’s out for now 🙁 but maybe The Magician’s Nephew? 😉

5. Fledge says:

This is very exciting news. Possibility of a series is great,because details can be left in that would normally be thrown out in a movie.

I guess the silver chair of Sony has been broken by a true Narnian.By the lions mane!

6. Netflix? Don't you have to have a subscription, wait until the season is filmed, then wait some more before the DVD's come out? Was all that stuff about The Silver chair a complete waste of time? And will I ever live long enough to see that movie ever made anyway? I feel like crying.

• JFGII says:

Well, it seems like Sony's "The Silver Chair" was a waste of time… but it also seemed doomed from the get-go: A sequel-reboot to a diminishing series from another studio (not a strait continuation) is not a promising way to beginning "an all-new" hollywood franchise. (Plus, Sony was not keen on staying faithful to the Narnia books. They just wanted a new franchise to make money out of.)

Still, if Netflix had picked up Narnia a few years back, they could have definitely have cast Millie Bobby Brown in their series! 😉 Now, she may be getting too old for that.

I wonder what director Joe Johnston's "The Silver Chair", written by David Magee, would have been like. I liked many of Joe Johnston's previous directorial efforts (he's got an eye for visual detail despite being a bit shallow/cliched with his scripts) But maybe it would not have been very good. 🙁

As for Narnia not returning to the big screen, I feel disturbed by that idea. I know a lot of people (who dislike Narnia) believe that "The Horse and His Boy" and "The Last Battle" don't deserve to see the light of day on the big screen due to their Calormen characters (and religious subtexts, to boot). That is a puzzle to solve. But I've dreamed for years of audiences seeing Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum rescue Prince Rilan from the Green Witch, and thought Netflix might still make "The Silver Chair" into a feature film, it probably won't be shown in theaters. Only on Netflix. 🙁

Alas, I must, we all must, except the reality: Narnia is not going to the big screen, but to the small screen. Narnia will be made in its entirety on the small screen. Maybe a special screening on the big-screen will take place, but, alas, Narnia (the film series) is no more. 🙁

7. Claire Chrissy lxy says:

Oh my ASLAN!This day finally comes!❤

8. decarus says:

This is so unimaginably exciting. I am up for anything in this universe.

9. epic text says:

I have read so many posts on the topic of the blogger lovers however this
    post is genuinely a good piece of writing, keep it up.

10. Waaaahghhh! super excited to the point I cant help it to smile wide and wide and wide. Im waiting for this moment, because after I read the series all I thought was that its the end but hello to pevensie era! Im so excited how these pevensie sibling grew up.

11. Dreyarn says:

So long in between, but so looking forward to this if it happens.

1. October 11, 2018

[…] battles, an escape across a desert. Now Netflix will be developing new films and series (see here for more information) it’s possible my dream will come […]

2. December 1, 2018

[…] Dawn Treader movie, we finally have news on more awesome Narnia movies (and shows too, apparently)! NarniaWeb is going nuts, with polls and podcasts and tons of debate. Personally, I can’t wait to see […]